PDA

View Full Version : Weapons of Destiny

toapat
2012-07-23, 05:41 PM
OOC notes:The weapon of destiny is a combination replacement of Weapons of Legacy, and the standard Christmas Tree Effect.

Weapons are forged, Destinies are written, and some weapons are spoken of in hushed whispers by the populous, lost long ago, but not forgotten. Excalibur, the Stormbringer, the One Ring.

And some weapons write their own destiny, seeking a champion, and drawing upon the power of those who wield them to increase their own.

The Weapon of Destiny
LevelSpecial
1stHidden Nature, +1 Enhancement bonus, Shapeshifter
2ndInherent power
3rdConfidence +2
4thAlloy
5th+2 Enhancement bonus
6thDestined Power 1
7th
8thConfidence +4
9thInherent power
10th+3 Enhancement bonus
11th
12thDestined Power 2
13thConfidence +6
14th
15th+4 Enhancement bonus
16thInherent power
17thLegend
18thDestined Power 3, Confidence +8
19th
20th+5 Enhancement bonus

Aspects of the Weapon:

Hidden Nature: A weapon of destiny is impossible to identify as any more then a mundane non-masterwork weapon or pair of weapons. Magical attempts to identify the weapon fail entirely. This does not prevent the weapon from identifying and calling out to the being it chooses as its champion.

A Weapon of Destiny's level is equal to the level of the champion it has chosen. A Weapon of Destiny can also form a pair of weapons. When paired, each weapon of destiny has the same enhancement bonus of a single weapon of destiny, and also has the full Inherent power ability, but the number of uses of Destined Power does not increase.

Enhancement bonus^: Beginning at First level, a Weapon of Destiny is treated as having a +1 enhancement bonus. This Enhancement bonus increases by +1 at 5th level, and every fifth level after.

Shapeshifter: The form of a Weapon of Destiny is only temporary. It can split, and become two weapons or a weapon and a shield, or become a mighty blade. A Weapon of Destiny can transform, as a free action, into any weapon or weapons the champion is proficient with. If the Weapon of destiny is applied to armor, it can take the form of any armor that the Champion is Proficient with.

Inherent Power*^: The Weapon of destiny is a conduite of raw power. Beginning at second level, when wielded by it's champion, a Weapon of destiny deal 1 additional damage of an element or 2 additional damage of an Alignment.

At 9th level, the inherent power of the Weapon of Destiny increases, instead dealing 1d6 additional elemental damage, or 2d6 additional alignment damage.

At 16th level, the inherent power of the Weapon of Destiny is in perfect harmony of its champion's actions. On critical hits, the additional damage of a Weapon of Destiny is multiplied by its critical modifier.

Confidence*: Beginning at third level, the Weapon of Destiny inspires greatness in its champion. The champion gains a +2 enhancement bonus to one attribute. This bonus increases by +2 every fifth level after third.

Alloy*^: The Weapon of Destiny is itself mysterious, but it has revealed a great mystery. Beginning at fourth level, the Weapon of destiny's material changes from Steel, wood, or crystal to another material, with all the benefits and penalties of the new material. This Material can not be Kaorti Resin.

Destined Power*:While mortal forged weapons hold little power, and divinely created artifacts hold a few surprises, the Weapon of Destiny holds many secrets.
At 6th level, The weapon of destiny unlocks the ability to use the effects of a first or second level spell, power, or Maneuver three times per day.

At 12th level, A new power of the weapon of destiny arises. This ability can be any fourth level or lower Spell, Power, or Maneuver, and it can be used one time per day.

At 18th level, The ultimate power of the Weapon of Destiny manifests itself. This ability can be any 6th level or lower Spell, Power, or Maneuver, and can be used once per week.

The caster level, Innitiator level, and Manifester level of the Weapon of Destiny is equal to its Champion level.

Legend: Upon reaching 17th level, the Form of the Weapon of Destiny no longer is hidden. Any details destinguishing the surface of the weapon appear, and the Name of the Weapon can truely be learned. This ability overrides the Weapon of Destiny's Hidden Nature ability when attempting to magically locate or divine the nature of the weapon.

*: These choices are aspects of the weapon, and can not be changed once selected.
^: These aspects of the Weapon of Destiny copy to each weapon when the weapon is used as two weapons or as a double weapon

Roderick_BR
2012-07-24, 01:10 PM
Okay, just as I mentioned Weapons of Legacy, I notice this thread. That's preciselly what I needed.
Would it be too overpowered to allow two weapons with these powers combined, like Kratu's weapons (though those are more like artifacts)?
Maybe have a variation for two-handers, two-weapon-fighters, and sword & boarders.

toapat
2012-07-24, 01:37 PM
Okay, just as I mentioned Weapons of Legacy, I notice this thread. That's preciselly what I needed.
Would it be too overpowered to allow two weapons with these powers combined, like Kratu's weapons (though those are more like artifacts)?
Maybe have a variation for two-handers, two-weapon-fighters, and sword & boarders.

you dont get the SLAs or Attributes on both weapons when you break your greatsword of awesome into two bastard swords of badass

asto having multiple of these, this is purely a tool for DMs, if you feel it would be overpowered to give someone two destiny artifacts, dont give them two destiny artifacts

Rainbownaga
2012-07-25, 05:40 AM
It's a pretty awesome design. Have you had a chance to use this in play yet? I'd be interested in how much you could drop WBL if the low tiers had these.

I'm almost tempted to try giving all the characters these for a minimal WBL (just enough for a few potions and resurrections) game, but I'm a little concerned that it would actually buff the higher tier characters more (since they tend to be more SAD and as a weapon it basically becomes a +5 x-burst [metal] sword, which is probably worse than what they could otherwise be swinging at level 20.

A few thoughts that came up while reading this.

Enchancement bonus? I'm guessing that's a portmanteau of "enchantment enhancement", but is that a type of enhancement bonus or does it stack?

For that matter, does 'confidence' even have a bonus type?

Does the GM or the player decide the fixed bonuses of the weapon? If its the player, you should probably specify the elemental damage options (otherwise it's going to be sonic 9/10 times), how specific the alignment has to be (is 'evil' sufficient, or does it have to be chaotic evil?), and whether you can take spells from classes like paladin or bard.

The weapon effectively negates the penalty to cold iron weapons (of course that's not really so bad since silver is just -1 damage and adamantine doesn't really have a drawback anyway).

Any way of adding other abilities to the weapon would be cool (either standard ones like wounding, keen and fleshgrinding or more unique ones like "the first time in a day that a given creature is struck by this weapon it must make a fortitude save (dc 10 + 1/2 character level + ability modifier for the stat that the weapon enhances) or lose a level".

Anyway, really like the idea. Definitely considering using it (or some variation thereof).

toapat
2012-07-25, 10:25 AM
Enchancement bonus? I'm guessing that's a portmanteau of "enchantment enhancement", but is that a type of enhancement bonus or does it stack?

For that matter, does 'confidence' even have a bonus type?

Does the GM or the player decide the fixed bonuses of the weapon? If its the player, you should probably specify the elemental damage options (otherwise it's going to be sonic 9/10 times), how specific the alignment has to be (is 'evil' sufficient, or does it have to be chaotic evil?), and whether you can take spells from classes like paladin or bard.

The weapon effectively negates the penalty to cold iron weapons (of course that's not really so bad since silver is just -1 damage and adamantine doesn't really have a drawback anyway).

Any way of adding other abilities to the weapon would be cool (either standard ones like wounding, keen and fleshgrinding or more unique ones like "the first time in a day that a given creature is struck by this weapon it must make a fortitude save (dc 10 + 1/2 character level + ability modifier for the stat that the weapon enhances) or lose a level".

The idea was a WBL suplement for the classes that need magicv items to compete, but to maintain the feel that you are the one who makes you awesome, not your weapon, but your weapon is equally badass.

Megaderp, im used to magical weapons being said to be enchanted

It is an Enhancement bonus

The DM writes the weapon as according to the character. If a paladin receives a weapon of destiny, it is going to deal holy damage, have Sunburst, Freedom of Movement, and Raise dead. Alignment damages are Holy, Unholy, Axiomatic, Anarchic, and Vile (which PCs should never get access to). Elemental damage types are Fire, Cold, electric, sonic, acid, and force (which you should also not give to PCs).

the issue is not using metals, woods, or crystals, but Kaorti Resin, because Kaorti resim makes any weapon have an x4 multiplier and exotic weapon proficiency.

I kinda forgot other weapon attributes when doing this, and im not entirely sure how to work them

super dark33
2012-07-25, 02:20 PM
So fluff-wise, the weapon is basicly an ******* that takes its fame from its weilder's deeds?

Thats perfect.

Stats are great too.

Roderick_BR
2012-07-25, 08:56 PM
So fluff-wise, the weapon is basicly an ******* that takes its fame from its weilder's deeds?

Thats perfect.

Stats are great too.
I think you could take several routes. Maybe it's a very good weapon that is VERY attuned to the character, so it does more badass stuff than normal. maybe it's like Weapons of Legacy, where the as the character grows in power, he find and unlocks new and cooler powers. Or if you go magic girl, the weapon is in atunement with you, and it's powers actually grows as yours do.

@toapat: I thought about letting the normal bonuses (enhacement bonuses and special properties) work on each weapon, so you have two swords with +3 and fiery power and mythral-like, and keeping the special powers (like spell like abilities) work as if he had a single weapon, and the restriction that you need to wield(or at least carry) both weapons aways.
Sword & shield would be complex, but the character would need to "sacrifice" special abilities, like having to decide either give the weapon a holy property, or the shield a arrow blocking ability.
Just some suggestions for added variety, but I like how it is now.

toapat
2012-07-25, 09:20 PM

Thats perfect.

Stats are great too.

Actually, I was thinking more of a Hyperattuned weapon then a parasite.

I think you could take several routes. Maybe it's a very good weapon that is VERY attuned to the character, so it does more badass stuff than normal. maybe it's like Weapons of Legacy, where the as the character grows in power, he find and unlocks new and cooler powers. Or if you go magic girl, the weapon is in atunement with you, and it's powers actually grows as yours do.

@toapat: I thought about letting the normal bonuses (enhacement bonuses and special properties) work on each weapon, so you have two swords with +3 and fiery power and mythral-like, and keeping the special powers (like spell like abilities) work as if he had a single weapon, and the restriction that you need to wield(or at least carry) both weapons aways.
Sword & shield would be complex, but the character would need to "sacrifice" special abilities, like having to decide either give the weapon a holy property, or the shield a arrow blocking ability.
Just some suggestions for added variety, but I like how it is now.

when you split the weapon, you get the full elemental power and full enhancement bonus on both weapons, but you dont get any extra spell like abilities. Alot of the rules for spliting your Weapon of Destiny need to be worked out, and im not really getting any ideas asto how that works out.

Edit: Added Shapeshifter