PDA

View Full Version : Read sequence

BiblioRook
2012-07-24, 01:44 AM
As I enter that dreadful state of being between series and face the daunting task of choosing what to read next I couldn't help wonder how other people face this challenge. Do you carefully plot out what to read next well in advance (with lists, queues, and spreadsheets)? Do you Just read whatever you feel inclined at the moment? Or maybe even just whatever is first at hand.
Possibly you are like myself and you carefully plan out what you are going to read well in advance... only to ignore it and read whatever anyways.

Then there's the question of going into a full series or just reading a stand-alone book. What about genre? Personally shifting genres always is a pain for me and I feel I have to do it gradually (Mysteries and Fantasy being some favorites, I find Urban Fantasy is a good middle ground that makes the transition easier).

Similarly with going from something comical to something serious.

thubby
2012-07-24, 02:24 AM
im a rather voracious reader so i generally order a book or 2 online, then read whatever happens to be nearby until they arrive.
ATM im torturing pony thread to this effect

Mordokai
2012-07-24, 03:36 AM
I read whatever strikes me fancy at the moment. Usually that amounts to me going to a bookstore and randomly picking up a book from genre that I like. Horror, fantasy... something like that. Not too much drama, though.

I mix and max everything. Right now, I'm reading The Complete Fiction, by H.P. Lovecraft and Four Past Midnight, by Stephen King. In the meantime, I finished The Running Man, also by King and read a couple of collections of Garfield and two Peanuts yearl collections. Right now, I'm considering starting The House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Long story short, I read a lot and while everything usually falls in certain genre, I also usually like to vary a little.

Winter_Wolf
2012-07-24, 04:49 AM
I go from whatever to whatever genre. If I have a series, then I read it until I'm done with what I have or I desperately need to get away from it for a while. Those are the ones with more than six in the series usually. I prefer novels with less than 400 pages if I can, because that's what I'm used to and it allows me to put down a book at what I consider a good resting point. These 1000+ page monstrosities are avoided unless they're anthologies of shorter stories.

I do like to throw in trade journals and magazines between individual books to keep myself from getting oversaturated with any one kind of reading though. When not available, I thumb through RPG books for a day or two until I'm ready to go back.

Eldan
2012-07-24, 05:19 AM
I have a spreadsheet of books I still need to read. (Also, for movies, TV Series, etc.) I roll one randomly and go buy that one. Usually along with anything else I can grab.