PDA

View Full Version : Aliens and other movies.

ShadowFireLance
2012-07-26, 12:31 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that Species (All of them) Look extremely close to Xenomorphs?
I mean, Give a tail like Xenos have, and a little mod to the head and you have a female Xenomorph, it is kinda sad how much newer movies have ripped off the good movies.

Fragenstein
2012-07-26, 01:03 PM
Am I the only person who thinks that Species (All of them) Look extremely close to Xenomorphs?
I mean, Give a tail like Xenos have, and a little mod to the head and you have a female Xenomorph, it is kinda sad how much newer movies have ripped off the good movies.

H.R. Giger did the original Xenomorph design -- and, according to Wikipedia, he also did the creatures in Species. So it seems more like just one Swiss artist imitating himself.

Tiki Snakes
2012-07-26, 01:05 PM
Yeah, it's just designed along the same concepts of Biomechanics. Though, to be fair I understand that Giger intended for the creature in species to look less gribbly and more weirdly-beautiful than it ended up, iirc, but the producers very much wanted Giger's Alien mk2.

So, yeah. Something like that, anyway.

Fragenstein
2012-07-26, 01:08 PM
Ooh! In other news, I now want to totally get hammered in one of the two Swiss bars that he designed. Perhaps the one in Gruyères, because their cheese goes so well in quiche.

And I do love my quiche.

EDIT: And I have now learned that Grue is french for 'crane', as in the bird. It is not, as I was led to understand, a monster which will attack you in the dark.

MLai
2012-07-27, 05:19 AM
I assume you've never been attacked by a crane at night.

Brother Oni
2012-07-27, 05:39 AM
Or a cannibalistic Crane kung fu practioner.

Fragenstein
2012-07-27, 10:48 AM
"King Teppicymon XXVII watched the golden disc float over the edge of the world. A flight of [cannabalistic kung fu] cranes took off from the mist-covered river."

I now have a whole new appreciation for that scene.

Bhu
2012-07-27, 11:17 AM

The original creature from Alien was designed off a painting of a fairly hermaphroditic creature and was intended as a metaphor for rape. It was supposed to be frightening because it had one thing on it's mind, being eyeless you couldn't tell if it was looking at you, and you couldn't really define it's gender.

The makers of Species wanted to explore the idea of sex is death. It's a common myth your heart stops a bit during orgasm, and there's even a nickname for orgasm referring to death. Giger, who also did the Alien, got tapped again because of his biomechanical designs.