PDA

View Full Version : Burn Notice

Gaelbert
2012-07-27, 01:29 AM
Anyone else watch this? I've watched it since day 1. The pilot came out, I was in front of TV with nothing to do, I watched it twice in a row, and I've been hooked ever since. Seen seasons 1-3 probably 5 or more times now. It's the only show, outside of White Collar, that I've watched all of.
Anyways. The episode tonight. Major spoilers:
I cried like a little girl. I knew someone was going to die, I even had guessed it would be Nate, but when it actually happened? It killed me. The first few times I watched through Burn Notice, I didn't even like Nate. But then, watching through for maybe the fourth time, the episode where Larry cuts Michael off from his closest friends made me reevaluate Nate. Nate was the one who came back for Michale, who actually went to see Michael when it seemed like he had dropped off the edge of the map.
What I'm worried about is it seems like Burn Notice is slowly trying to change its demographics. The intense focus on the separation between Michael and Fiona, killing off one of the main characters, changing camera styles and narrative devices all seem to suggest that Burn Notice is trying to target a new audience. I'm worried about this, but I trust Matt Nix enough to make it until the end of the season before passing judgement.
Curious if anyone else watches this and what they might think of the show.

Thinker
2012-07-27, 09:07 AM
I enjoy the show. I find that USA has a good run of dramedies like White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits, Psych, etc. Burn Notice has good chemistry between the characters, decent plots, good effects, and great guest stars. Unfortunately, the acting (outside of Bruce Campbell) is usually pretty poor.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet.

GeekGirl
2012-07-27, 10:31 AM
This is one of my favorite shows on TV. Though I haven't see the newest episode (that's my lunch plan). I'll be back afterwards to talk more ^_^

Starbuck_II
2012-07-27, 10:36 AM
Anyone else watch this? I've watched it since day 1. The pilot came out, I was in front of TV with nothing to do, I watched it twice in a row, and I've been hooked ever since. Seen seasons 1-3 probably 5 or more times now. It's the only show, outside of White Collar, that I've watched all of.
Anyways. The episode tonight. Major spoilers:
I cried like a little girl. I knew someone was going to die, I even had guessed it would be Nate, but when it actually happened? It killed me. The first few times I watched through Burn Notice, I didn't even like Nate. But then, watching through for maybe the fourth time, the episode where Larry cuts Michael off from his closest friends made me reevaluate Nate. Nate was the one who came back for Michale, who actually went to see Michael when it seemed like he had dropped off the edge of the map.
What I'm worried about is it seems like Burn Notice is slowly trying to change its demographics. The intense focus on the separation between Michael and Fiona, killing off one of the main characters, changing camera styles and narrative devices all seem to suggest that Burn Notice is trying to target a new audience. I'm worried about this, but I trust Matt Nix enough to make it until the end of the season before passing judgement.
Curious if anyone else watches this and what they might think of the show.
Yes, one of my favorite shows. My whole family loves it.

I was surprised that grease bombs are possible (I googled it)
Yeah, the show got darker with Nate dead.

Bruce is one of the best characters on the show. I love his alias (Chuck Finley), etc.

GeekGirl
2012-07-27, 01:04 PM
:smalleek: OMG!! I just watched last night!

That was so sad... I can't believe the killed Nate, I always liked him. :( I almost cried at my desk.

BiblioRook
2012-07-27, 02:05 PM
I used to be really into this show but I stopped watching quite a while ago. I'm just kinda tired of my favorite dramadies becoming ever closer to straight up dramas and I saw it going in that direction a few seasons ago.

grolim
2012-07-27, 06:13 PM
I enjoy the show. I find that USA has a good run of dramedies like White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits, Psych, etc. Burn Notice has good chemistry between the characters, decent plots, good effects, and great guest stars. Unfortunately, the acting (outside of Bruce Campbell) is usually pretty poor.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet.

But is the acting really poor? Or does it suffer for being so close to the awesomeness that is Bruce that is just seems poor?

thegurullamen
2012-07-27, 08:03 PM
Love the show, but I can only watch it in small bursts, or strung out over a long period. Haven't been able to catch up because no one has anything after season five up yet (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and USA's site made the inexplicable decision to refuse us to catch up on the backlog. (sigh) No idea why companies do that.

It'll be a while before I can catch back up, but in the meantime, it's annoying as hell when the trailers spoil upcoming plot twists when I'm trying to watch Psych reruns.

Winter_Wolf
2012-07-27, 08:52 PM
But is the acting really poor? Or does it suffer for being so close to the awesomeness that is Bruce that is just seems poor?

Bruce Campbell is just that awesome. But in all honesty, I've never credited any of the actors in USA network shows with an overabundance of good acting skills. I still enjoy the shows, but there it is.

Psych kind of flared and burnt out real quick for me. The charm wore off after about two seasons. I watch a lot of Burn Notice reruns and marathons when they're on, though. Haven't seen any of the latest season yet though, since it's not a feature of Chinese TV (and thank Odin for that!) and I'm waiting for the whole season before I even look among the DVD vendors.

Kjata
2012-07-28, 09:17 AM
Psych kind of flared and burnt out real quick for me. The charm wore off after about two seasons. I watch a lot of Burn Notice reruns and marathons when they're on, though. Haven't seen any of the latest season yet though, since it's not a feature of Chinese TV (and thank Odin for that!) and I'm waiting for the whole season before I even look among the DVD vendors.

After watching the first three seaasons of psych, i went back and rewatched the pilot. Originally, Shawn was a lazy and sarcastic. Later, he became a man child.

The final nail in the coffin was when the reused a plot point (alien invasion) that Shawn originally dismissed as stupid and impossible, yet later decided that was that answer.

It's the worst character degeneration I've ever seen.

Connington
2012-07-28, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, the acting (outside of Bruce Campbell) is usually pretty poor.

Eh, not sure I agree. None of the other actors can touch Campbell's charisma, but Jeffrey Donovan shows off a lot more range. Which is good, since otherwise we'd have a situation like with Eliza Dushku in Dollhouse where the premise involves the lead adopting a lot of different personas, which she could never pull off.

Mutant Sheep
2012-07-29, 01:21 PM
I started watching the show because of Campbell, as he is Campbell and deserves my watching. I sometimes still do, I don't follow the story though. I still think of that SNL sketch where they do a gameshow called "What. is. Burn Notice?!?":smalltongue:

I love Psych. Shawn can contradict himself, he contradicts reason itself every episode. :smalltongue: I still love the Mexican soap opera episode. Telenova le awesome. :smallamused:

Gamer Girl
2012-07-31, 04:33 PM
I love this show...and have from day one.

Dante & Vergil
2012-08-26, 01:25 AM
I absolutely love Burn Notice, especially with all the little tips Michael gives to upcoming spies throughout each episode.
And with the recent season, including the summer finale (Major Spoilers),
Nates death brought tears to my eyes and still does every time they bring up the scene of his death.
On the summer finale

I had suspicions that Card was behind Nates death, but I couldn't think of a reason for him to do so, so I was somewhat surprised to see he was behind his and Anson's death. Why he wants Michael and the Gang dead are motives unseen at the moment, which sucks because the series wont be back on until November.