PDA

View Full Version : Hand of a Saint: A Continuum RPG (IC)

Saintheart
2012-07-27, 07:46 AM
Hand of a Saint

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LPpi849B0_o/S8f7TnDNEiI/AAAAAAAAABQ/_rLFv5KGhiI/s1600/rave_party.jpg

“Hook and Wheels” Corner,
Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn,
New York City, Late Piscean Era
Saturday, 5 June 1993

Mariah Carey weds Tommy Mottola. Aidid kills 23 Pakistanis.
Aerosmith's “Livin’ on the Edge” hits number 18. Steffi Graf wins the French Open.

Even when the bass is pounding like a second heartbeat through the walls of the warehouse, you somehow feel more attuned to the spaces between the beats than the thump of the track. This might have been from basically using this place as an anchor in time and space for the past couple of ‘months’ (shrugging off the old terminology’s still hard, though Justin assures you it will pass) in the place. More likely it’s just that when the rave parties are running, you focus more on the silences than the noises.

This night’s a good one; the new DJ, somebody who calls himself by the improbable name of Mo Trax, has just slipped into Something Good by Utah Saints, and even if the track is known by those of you originating further Up as rather more amusing than it should be, the people here and now seem to be really enjoying it. Like they enjoy most of your parties. That’s the benefits of knowing when you party, you party in safety. Justin’s warned you to promulgate the idea that you’ve got very good contacts in the NYPD, or when that fails, handsome bribes to keep the cops out of the club – it’s a hell of a better explanation than “We’re never caught, because when the cops are here, we’re either touring the Empire State Building, or already half an hour after they leave.”

Part of the reward is watching all this happen. Being what you are, you’re discovering, is as much about perspective as it is ability. For those of you originating in roughly this time period, it’s a chance to kick back and have fun. For those of you brought Up, it’s an eye-opening glimpse well on from where you came from; who can’t deny the joy of seeing beyond the bounds of a mortal life? And for those of you from brought Down, it’s a memory of better times in New York.
The shock and grief of the World Trade Centre bombing five months Down has largely passed from levellers of this time; the more significant disaster befalling those buildings is still eight years, three months, and three days Up.

Those of you who lived through that as levellers have been careful not to share that detail with those who haven’t. Justin, again. You notice his eyes flick to Masao when he re-emphasises that it’s not to be told to them. Though there’s none of you who don’t know what he has seen.

For now, though, it’s a cool night, you’re all at the rave, and the music is the same magic that all humans, leveller and spanner alike, have responded to like a siren’s call over the Societies. Colour flies; beats thunder; spacetime responds to your call.

Welcome to 1993.

TAG: All!

Here's the OOC thread if anyone gets lost. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250830)
OOC:
Your Corner: It’s the summer rave scene of 1993, and your corner is “Hook & Wheels”. Its main area is the rave space at Mercy Warehouse in Red Hook (Brooklyn). Levellers are amazed that you’re such regulars, there every night, pulling 24 hour stints or longer. How about that. And you never get caught by the cops, either.

20th Century New York is a populous town, and spanner corners barely encompass entire neighborhoods, let alone boroughs. The map of spanner “turf” is sufficiently hazy that most New York corners make an effort to work in concert. Your corner is Red Hook (Brooklyn) between June AD 1990 and August AD 1995, but if you have to act on Continuum business around the city, it’s not usually a big deal.

Note that Manhattan and the other boroughs are too far to span to levelly in a single jump (if you’re Span 1). The subway system is full of unwatched chambers that local spanners familiarize themselves with in order to cross town in a matter of seconds.

Mercy Warehouse
The place is big; it used to be a medical supplies warehouse; rumour goes the Physicians needed some more space, so they put the place up for ‘adoption’. Place dates back to the fifties or so, but there’s not a window in the place. There’s a lower floor and a mezzanine at the back of the place, though the rave floor takes up about two thirds of the overall space. The back rooms, on the mezzanine floor, are for private spanner business. While the office and “back room” are sometimes occupied by levellers, the “safe room” is always off
limits to all but spanners, and is kept locked from the inside. There is also a basement to the place, if you feel you need it. The back room has a few beds and a fridge. The whole building is 240 feet by 160 feet, and has a bar on the back wall under the mezzanine floor, and the DJ’s platform on the south side of the building.

About Your Mentor
Justin Freiburg (Age 32y?; Born c. 1967)
Justin is a furry motorcycle enthusiast, although you have seen him beardless now and again, and it's startling. On the other hand, those damn sunglasses of his are always around. He has a passion for beat poetry, though lately he's tossing Robert Browning at all of you. Those of you who don’t remember different (further information is not available here) remember something highly unexplainable, followed by Justin riding up on a Harley as big as an actual horse, and offered a ride and an explanation. And that's how you got into the Continuum.

Justin has to be off in Kansas City KS at the center of hog rally this weekend (June 4-7, 1993). Nearly everybody knows he never misses that weekend, and Fox is said to be covering it. “Hey, it's that Information Age for ya.” He can't risk being seen so obviously in two places at the same time.

Sanguine
2012-07-29, 12:07 AM
Nathan sits at the bar bobbing his head in time to the music. This whole rave thing was strange and new, but it would be a lie to say Nathan wasn't fascinated by it.

Looking up at the barkeep, a beautiful Dominican woman with a curvaceous form and a smile in her eye, Nathan smiles and says. "My usual Carrie."

The woman smiles wryly and says. "Ah, yes. A martini shaken, not stirred.'

As she turns away to get the drink Nathan murmurs under his breath. "Damn that Ian Flemming, should have sued the wanker."

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-29, 06:06 AM
It's strange, walking past a place you remember being destroyed when you were still a kid. Jessica must have been around nine when she saw it on TV, after her teachers had wheeled in the old CRTs into the classrooms... they wanted the students to know what was happening, rather than leaving them in the dark, although it gave a lot of kids nightmares. The school was sued into oblivion, naturally.

And Jessica had walked past the World Trade Center yesterday. Or tomorrow. It's hard to keep track without constantly glancing at her span book... Justin assures her she'll get it eventually, though.

She's currently sitting in a corner, with an ancient (actually bleeding-edge here in 1993) laptop, grumbling irritably to herself. What she wouldn't give for wi-fi...

greyjedi125
2012-07-30, 01:10 AM
IC: Juan Paulo, J.P.

Mercy Warehouse

The music thundered, pulsing vigorously, like something alive. J.P. couldn't help but bounce his head to the beat, while holding a plain ginger-ale soda in his hand. The music was infectious and extremely enjoyable. This new DJ, he was actually pretty good. Those on the dance floor responded well to what he was doing in the booth.

J.P.'s smile broadened as the crowd cheered on a particular change in the music. He liked watching people having a good time, enjoying life. Blissfully happy.

It meant all was well in the universe, right?

Curiously enough, it was always night inside the warehouse, and it was easy to lose track of time - well, for some anyway. J.P. shifted his messenger bag behind him as he rested against a wall, taking it all in. As he sipped his ginger-ale, a reveler he recognized waded through the dense crowd and gave him a high-five as he passed.

Smiles, good music, good crowd. Good times.

But for how long? The honeymoon couldn't last forever…could it?

HunterPrime
2012-07-30, 01:38 AM
Sara Norin
Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn

Sara Norin sits in a dark corner, listening to the thump of the music. She smiles as she listens to the beat. Jacob would have loved it here. She still misses her brother. She thinks of him often, the closer it gets to their birthday. She is still getting used to 'this'. Justin says it will get better with time. Time. Yeah, right.

Also, getting used to being in New York, and Brooklyn was another issue. She was getting used to finding all the little knooks and crannies the other level one spanners used though. But she prefered to walk, so she could learn the lay of the land, so to speak. Old habits were hard to beat, and after being an MP and a security guard, she wanted to known the area she was working in. When she suddenly had left Los Angeles, her parents had been woried. They didnt understand why she had to leave. But it was for the best. They stayed worried about her. She coudlnt explain to them how she felt. They just lumped it up to between losing her twin brother, or Desert Storm issues. If they only knew.

She sips on some fruity mixed drink, as she sits, watching the lights flicker, as the dancers moved to the beat. She was still getting used to the others in her corner as well. She understood that not all of them came from the same period as she did. One made her think some old British TV shows. The others, she was still learning. Sara had not been in New York, since she was a child. So it was kind of funny, when she had first arrived, some places ringing an old memory, and other places, nothing. Then again, she was still getting used to that 'blank' spot of her memory. Oh well. She could mope about or she could get up and dance.

Sara decided to dance. She got up, and joined the floor, bouncing around to the beat as she joined the throng in the dance.

TAG: All my Corner Peeps!:smallbiggrin:

kestrel404
2012-07-30, 06:20 PM
Dave, already dancing, waves to Sara and grins as she climbs onto the dance floor. He's a good dancer, confident and slick, though obviously without formal training.

He's enjoying the heck out of himself, though - he hardly ever had the time or money to relax like this before, and he's treating this as an extended vacation. Turning to yet another pretty young girl and attempts to steal her away from her date with his charms and dancing skill.

Airanath
2012-07-31, 01:14 AM
Masao doesn't really get this Westerner's party and music thing. These "wild beats" for him sounded more like the way his head would be feeling in the morning, after all the drinking, and all the noise, he was facing right now. Grudginly he wondered how far he would have to span for a chance to sleep, he still remembers last time he spanned to find out his elder sleeping, at least he had those days commited to memory now. Justin might insist he keeps a book, but he always had a mind to details, he keeps it to not agravate his mentor, but protests by keeping it in japanese, as far as the other knows, he is just "drawing", he still winces when the other spanners down(but up from his origin) or levelers say that.
He sits quietly, drinking, not really interested in the dances, just a bit longer till the police got here, then he would be on next thursday, sleeping soundly.

Saintheart
2012-08-01, 07:37 AM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

How it begins (insofar as there are such expressions as beginnings and endings for your kind) is simple enough.

There is a man walking across the dance floor. He is in his late forties, with a greying beard, and he is not paying much attention to his surroundings. He's headed in the direction of the bar. He is dressed oddly; nothing terribly out of place -- virtually anything goes at a rave, you've seen everything from piercings to pinholes to plastic surgery on the dancefloor -- but looking at him is like a quick look at an Escher painting -- superficially he looks right, but you'd guess if you looked at him for more than a moment or two he'd not look right at all.

On the other hand, this, too, is not uncommon, you're finding, even in the short "time" you've been part of the Continuum. Spanners can often tell when a person is "dressing down" for visiting other times. This guy, if you notice him, seems to be putting out that vibe. And he's walking right in Nathan's direction.

TAG: Everyone

OOC:
The above information assumes that you pass a Perception skill roll against your Quick.

As I understand it this is just a d10 roll (with modifiers if you've got ranks in Perception specifically) and then subtract your Quick score and then subtract the number you roll from your Quick (thanks for the catch, Yuki! :smallsmile: ) See page 14 and 15 for specific rules on it if needed, but in brief, if you wind up with 0 or greater, you notice the guy as indicated and can post in response. If you get a Grace or Victory, I'll update with further material.

And if you Blunder or get a negative result, well, you continue on the assumption you didn't notice the guy.

Sorry about the extrapolation; it's as much me thinking out loud as anything else. :)

Yuki Akuma
2012-08-01, 07:49 AM
Jessica

The geeky-looking girl continues to look at her computer screen, bouncing her foot idly along with the music. She glances up every now and then, however.

Jessica rolls a d10! [roll0]

She then subtracts the result from her Quick!

4 - 5 = -1. Failure.

HunterPrime
2012-08-01, 09:37 AM
Sara

Sara grinned as one of her corner mates, Dave gives her a wave and a smile. They both were enjoying the music, and the party. Still so much to wrap their heads around, but right now, it was simply good fun.

She bounces around the dance floor watching the different people as they pass by, enjoying the music. A soda would be good right now. Maybe she could grab one from the bar. She decides to finish this dance, and then grab a coke.

While dancing she waves at Jessica, who is buried behind a computer screen, and JP, who she spots elsewhere in the room.

TAG

[roll0]

5-6= -1
Ahhh.....crud

greyjedi125
2012-08-01, 02:24 PM
IC: J.P.

Hook and Wheels, Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn

J.P. was in the moment, feeling the music, observing everyone around him, taking in the details. Artist did this subconsciously, some would say, that's how they imbibed the world they immersed themselves in, later to re-interpret it in their media. Now and then, his brown eyes would catch a glimpse of the others, and he would smile.

This new life...it was beyond anything he could imagine, and he had a pretty good imagination to begin with.

Party ON!

Tag: GM

Quick:(Quick: 4 + Perceptive +2 = 6 ) 6

Subtract Roll: [roll0]

Result: -1

Is that correct? ( Sorry Nathan)

Airanath
2012-08-01, 03:51 PM
Masao

Masao notices the man walking towards Justin, he got the clothes right, but he is not walking to the "beat" as the levelers say. His corner mates don't seem to notice, but he is sure they might have gone to rest at some time to keep partying, one never knows.
Bored, both from the party, and from sitting, he decides to follow, maybe Justin has something interesting for him, and, at the very least, talking to someone a bit up might be interesting, provided the guy has a minute to spare.

Perception: 5-[roll0]=0
Barely made it =o

Saintheart
2012-08-02, 10:04 PM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

The man walks right over to the bar; Nathan is finally able to notice him (with drink in hand; Carrie's pretty good on a bottle) and indeed Nathan is able to notice Masao shadowing in from behind the visitor.

The visitor isn't showing any sign of hostility, though: he looks as the simple setup with a kind of soft-eyed, delighted smile - a kind of wonder, though given where you are right now it could either be interest in the surroundings or something, shall we say, more chemical-based in origin.

"What can I get you, honey?" Carrie smiles, standing with her hands wide out on the bar. It's her standard move; she's wearing that black low-cut shirt again, the one with Cougar written in white across the front which therefore makes her worth a good hundred grand to the makers of bourbon everywhere.

The visitor, though, looks at her with the same gentle smile. He doesn't even seem to have noticed Nathan, and it's a good bet he hasn't noticed Masao, either.
"What time is it?" he asks.
Carrie's brow wrinkles. "Huh?"

TAG: Sanguine, Airanath

Sanguine
2012-08-03, 12:29 PM
As Nathan finally notices the man he silently curses himself for letting himself be snuck up on. "The last few months have made me soft, I'll need to fix that."

Watching from the corner of his eye, by all appearances being engrossed in his martini, Nathan sees the entire interaction between Carrie and the strange man. Choosing not to use the clever response he came up with Nathan turns to the man and utters the customary reply. "What time is it?"

Saintheart
2012-08-05, 09:26 PM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

The man sighs contentedly at Nathan's reply, and turns without ceremony to the other man. "I'm wondering - is there somewhere we could go to discuss things privately? I was wondering, is Justin here? I was told he would be."

TAG: Sanguine, Airanath

Airanath
2012-08-06, 04:02 AM
Masao

Masao finally catches up, right as Nathan finishes his "introduction" to the other man as someone in the know.
"For a private place, we could easily find one, might take a few hours, but we can find it. Justin is a bit trickier, with some luck we may find him up, maybe in his room."

Saintheart
2012-08-09, 10:51 PM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

It takes a few moments to round up everyone capable of travelling across space and time (ironically) but in a few moments, your band of chronies are all gathered in the back room of the rave - the locked room, the one that levellers don't get to see.

The one that has a handy set of post-it notes next to the beers in case someone accidentally frags another person while watching the game. The one that occasionally has visitors like the one it's got now: the man from the dance floor. Here, the bass is muted like a heartbeat through the floor, and the melody of Mo Trax's tunes is a wispy, insubstantial thing.

The man turns, slowly taking in the room, then lowers himself into the nearest couch, rubbing his hands together.
"I must say, I'm surprised Justin isn't here - I was told he would be. But many thanks for letting me stop in ... to be honest, I was hoping for some help. I'm in New York looking for my hand."
Sara blinks, looking pointedly at the end of his arms. "Er..."
"Oh. Yes, of course. That would be confusing. I should introduce myself - my name is Mykelos; I prefer Mike, really."

Mykelos sighs, a wistful smile coming to his face. "But whatever name you call me by, I am due for martyrdom in the Year of Our Lord 982. Because out of that martyrdom I was canonised St. Michael of Wycroft by the Mother Church." A certain quake comes into his voice. "My limbs, as much as I can garner, are due to be chopped off rather violently by pagan peasants. But I am -- or was -- Abbot of the Monastery of Wycroft Hedge, in England, and the brothers recovered one of my limbs -- my hand and forearm -- and preserved in a reliquary. But shortly after my martyrdom, it disappears, only reappearing in Wycroft, England in 1106 to save the town from famine."

The man folds his (two) hands. "I do feel some responsibility for my hometown across the timeline - and for the canonisation, of course - but the return of my hand to Wycroft is still in the Yet. My hand's disappeared from the historical record after 982 - and it does not reappear until 1106. That led me to believe it had been brought somewhere further Up. I've ... come a long way, as you might imagine. I don't wish to make waves in someone else's corner, but I have heard through spanner tales that my hand has come to New York in the latter half of this century. Can you help me?"

TAG: All

greyjedi125
2012-08-10, 09:56 PM

Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn, The Back Room

J.P. sat quietly in his usual spot. The M&Ms chair. He found it 'artistic', so he naturally gravitated to it. Luckily for him, he preferred ginger-ale to beer, so he didn't have to worry about the post-it notes on the beer cans. But his thoughts were not on that at the moment. His frown was upon his head for a different reason.

First, he was somewhat dismayed that he hadn't even notice this guy, this spanner, walk into their corner, and here he was so proud of his powers of perception. So much for that. Second, this guy, Mykelos, or Mike…was making his head hurt. He claimed to be a Saint?? Wait…what?

That was a bit much for the young artist, so he ignored that part for the moment.

So, lets see...He was killed in 982 and chopped up. His hand is recovered, but goes missing for 124 years before it's returned in 1106. So there's a historical gap. Spanner work, no doubt. But…this guy has TWO hands and is clearly alive, and was apparently a spanner too.

So how….?

J.P. simply shook his head, but that didn't make matters any better.

Uhmm…not to mention, this guy believes his 'missing hand' is in the present? Seriously??

Oh! and how exactly does one hand save an entire town from famine?? ( Don't even want to think on that one).

Yeah, Justin...where in the world are you? I need some extra strength Tylenol right about now. He commented in his own mind.

Almost silently, J.P. continued to sip his ginger-ale as he observed the others while he tried to get things straightened out in his own head. The last thing he wanted was to open his mouth and say something that would make him sound like some un-initiated leveller, regardless of the fact that THAT'S EXACTLY how he felt.

Tag:ALL/no one…yet.

kestrel404
2012-08-11, 03:04 PM
IC: Dave

"That's quite the tale, Mike. Well, if your reliquary has ended up somewhere in our corner, I'm sure we'll be able to give you a hand."

Dave catches the pillow that's thrown at him and tosses it back onto the couch. "But New York is a big city with lots of people. Do you have any ideas where it might have gotten to? If not, there are a number of very old and important churches around here - including St. Michael's in Manhattan."

Dave looks at the others for suggestions.

Tag: All

greyjedi125
2012-08-11, 04:58 PM

J.P. blinks at what Dave says concerning places where Mike's missing hand could be found. He speaks out of turn as his mind goes over other possible places, slowly being drawn-in by the puzzle brought before them.

"Wow, Dave. That's a good idea. There's also St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Ave, by Rockefeller Center, and Trinity Church down in the Wall St. area…or even the Cloisters Museum in upper manhattan. They have medieval stuff there, you know."

A pensive expression comes over the young artist.

" So yeah, we could search places of worship in manhattan before we search the other boroughs….but…."

J.P. turns to face Mike and tries not to think that here's a man that was chopped-up for his beliefs.

"Sorry if I sound silly, BUT...I'm kinda curious, who would want to steal your hand? and..are there any 'supernatural' powers associated with it?"

J.P. simply shrugs, trying not to feel foolish and simply waits for an answer as he returns to his ginger-ale.

Tag: ALL

HunterPrime
2012-08-13, 11:02 AM
Sara
“Hook and Wheels” Corner, Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn, NYC -
Saturday, 5 June 1993

Sara is so busy dancing, it takes a few moments, before she realizes that everyone is being called to the room. THE ROOM. Oh well, sounds like something it up. They usually dont call them all together. But Justin isnt around, so now, Sara is curious. She shows up at the room a few moments later. The loud thump of the music is replaced with a almost silent room, and everyone is there, along with a new person. The man turns, slowly taking in the room, then lowers himself into the nearest couch, rubbing his hands together.

"I must say, I'm surprised Justin isn't here - I was told he would be. But many thanks for letting me stop in ... to be honest, I was hoping for some help. I'm in New York looking for my hand."

Sara blinks, looking pointedly at the end of his arms. "Er..."

The guy introduces himself. Mykelos...or Mike. Then tells them a tale that he's from around 982..and is going to be chopped up by some medieval dudes to become a martyr. YIKES! He's come up from a long way. And for a really gross reason.. His hand and forearm became lost. But it shows up later to save a town in England from famine? Ok.

It was the next part of his story that was interesting.

Mike continued. "I do feel some responsibility for my hometown across the timeline - and for the canonisation, of course - but the return of my hand to Wycroft is still in the Yet. My hand's disappeared from the historical record after 982 - and it does not reappear until 1106. That led me to believe it had been brought somewhere further Up. I've ... come a long way, as you might imagine. I don't wish to make waves in someone else's corner, but I have heard through spanner tales that my hand has come to New York in the latter half of this century. Can you help me?"

Sara sips on her coke, as she listens to this guys tale. Dave takes over, and starts spitting out suggestions and such, as Sara listens. She frowns slightly. She still dosent see just because ti went missing, why would that lead him to believe that it was brought Up? Was she missing something. Then again, they were so far taking this guy at face value. She would rather look the guy up first, before jumping to believe that this guy was telling the truth. That, and the fact that he came here looking for Justin, saying that he was sure that he would be here...

But supposedly 'everyone' knew that Justin would be off in Kansas City KS at the center of hog rally this weekend (June 4-7, 1993). Nearly everybody knows he never misses that weekend. It was a big thing with him. She looked over at JP and Dave with a slight frown for a moment, which quickly disappeared.

As far as Sara was concerned, something wasnt adding up. So Sara went another route.

"So..." she said as she stepped up. "Can you tell us what spanner stories you heard, that made you think it came Up?" she asked him with a smile.

Airanath
2012-08-13, 07:06 PM
Masao
“Hook and Wheels” Corner, Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn, NYC -
Saturday, 5 June 1993

Masao listens to the story, not sure what to make of it, he was raised in a traditional family, so the only things about Christianism he knows is about christmas and easter, and that is from his life in the states. He heard christmas became a big thing in Japan after the rebuilding, but hasn't been there himself yet, too many bitter memories.

He does understand medicine, and body parts won't be preserved for centuries after death, not without treatment, which might really mean the hand was brought up, after all, technology for that was not available down there.

"About your hand... is it going to be chopped a long way up in your yet? Any ideas about the how it was chopped? Clear cut, rough, axe, blade, might help nail down a bit, hand choppings aren't usual these days, but knowing what we are looking for might help, from a medical point of view. We could also probably use your fingerprints. And as a spanner, how did retrieving it and returning it come to be in your yet? The circusntances might help figure where its coming from."

Sanguine
2012-08-13, 09:58 PM
Sitting in the corner sipping his martini Nathan quietly listens to the story. It was devilishly confusing, but he would be damned if he let it show. The first rule of espionage: Always maintain control of a situation, failing that, fake it.

Muddling the facts together from the confusing story Nathan is immediately suspicious. Not so much because of anything Mike said, but simply because it was his natural state of being after years in the field of covert operations. However he hid his suspicion as easily as his confusion. The second rule of espionage: Never show suspicion. If the suspicion is warranted you have just alerted the person that you are onto them. If it's unwarranted you have alienated a potential asset.

Nathan listens to the others ideas as he finishes his martini. Then quietly almost as if musing to himself he says. "Any movement of historical or religious artifacts is going to leave a paper trail a mile wide. It would be child's play to talk my way into the customs office for a look at the relevant records. Of course that's assuming things are legitimate, if it's being moved through the black market things become much more difficult."

Saintheart
2012-08-13, 10:56 PM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

"I did not realise people in this era were quite so inquisitive," says Mike with a gentle smile. "I really have no idea who might have wanted to bring my hand Up this far. Or, truthfully, where it might be - but I would be most surprised if it were in the possession of one of the churches. I would have expected they would have returned such an artifact to its place of origin. I do not know."

"I do not know who would want to take my hand," he continues, with a small flush of embarrassment. "I do not know even know if it has any supernatural powers or not. I do know is that it is required to be present in its reliquary in my home town of Wycroft in 1106 -- because it is credited with saving Wycroft from famine."

He reaches into a pocket of his coat, removing a written page: a quick look at the page reveals it is from Natural History magazine, the March 1974 edition. On the page is a large photo of part of a weathered, old tapestry, with a caption: Tapestry of Wycroft, partial. The Hand. A header for the page says Treasures of the British Museum.

Whoever wove the tapestry, though, was skilled indeed: it depicts a large, robed forearm rather like a gauntlet, made from gold, with two fingers raised in a gesture of benediction.

"It took me forever to locate this. I have learned this tapestry was woven in the year 1120, the same year I am ... due for canonisation. It was woven, I understand, to commemorate the event of my reliquary saving Wycroft from the famine."

He leaves the article page on the small coffee table in front of him. "As for why I believe it was brought Up -- mostly because there is no account of it being anywhere Down of the date of my death. In my time, sources of knowledge are few and far between; indeed, the monasteries are one of the only remaining sources of chronicles and historical accounts during the time I think is called the Dark Ages in this period. I have ... investigated, you might say. No account I have found mentions my hand being anywhere Down of my own lifetime. And there is no reason I could think of that the reliquary would be secreted away somewhere Level after my death, since it was a source of inspiration to my brothers. So that led me to venture Up."

He takes a breath. "There was an inn - in Armagh, ah, Scotland I think you call it now. At the bottom of Glencoe, some time after the massacre there. I came across an Antiquarian; we shared a few rounds. He mentioned he'd been in the end half of this century, said he'd never seen a more peculiar reliquary than the one which was auctioned off sometime in the "nineteen sixties". A gold hand. So that led me to this era. I've come further Up because I am a little uncertain exactly what this 'auction' was he referred to."

He turns to Masao. "I do not know quite the specifics of how I am to die other than the date and method: June 4, 982 - by pagan peasants, dismembered. It is in my Yet, certainly, but as to a precise age I am meant to be ... perhaps it is better that I do not know. I do know the reliquary encases both my hand and my arm. As for how I came to know it is to be retrieved and returned -- the article led me back to the British Museum, and I learned that there is a monastic diary which says, for 8 September 1106 'He appeared, holding forth his hand, and saved them from starvation.' I conclude from that, that I must have returned it -- to make the appearance on that date."

Mike again flushes with seeming embarrassment. "Truthfully, I do have some connection to Wycroft - there is an account of me appearing there in 1047, with both hands of course, to warn a group of children away from falling down a well. That, too, I have not done, so it is in my Yet. But I don't wish to keep turning up too often, as it may impinge on the historical record."

greyjedi125
2012-08-14, 03:14 PM

J.P. catches Sara's look of suspicion. In his mind, she was such a 'Cleopatra Jones' or a 'Christie Love', he could almost hear the theme music. Those 70's re-runs were charming, but Sara was all business. She's proven to have quite a forensic mind, not unlike Nathan's…well, as far as he knew in their short time together. If anyone could uncover a web of deception, it was they.

The story Mike told proved to be even more interesting. J.P. was glad that the hand was not some mummified appendage, which was exactly what he'd imagined, but instead, a gold plated hand.He seriously needed to stop watching those cheesy 'chiller' re-runs too. It was a pity the hand had no super-powers, that would have been cool…or very messy.

As it turns out, Mike seems to have a pretty orderly mind of his own, which impresses the young artist. Guess all spanners were sub-geniuses or something, with the exception of himself.

"I'll probably have to cross-reference Wycroft,1106. at the public library - oh, thanks for reminding me to renew my library card. But do you have any enemies we should know of? I mean, you get to save your town, 'if' you get the hand back in time…or down. Whatever."

J.P. takes another sip of his drink, thinking for a moment. A thought flashes in his mind: Were they even allowed to go on a mission without Justin? Hmm. Who'd take the lead in his absence, if at all?

"Concerning this 'auction' you spoke of? Do you have a more specific date other than 'nineteen sixties'? or at least a location? was it auctioned off in London? New York? Japan…?"

J.P. let the question hang in the air even as he caught the hint made by Mike, that should they have to travel down to Wycroft, he wouldn't be able to..or was reluctant to accompany them.

Once things got rolling, events were sure to get interesting quite quickly, that's why it was best to have these chats, get the facts straight…or as much as possible, and come up with plans A, B and C. Things should go well at that point, right?

So why was he getting a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach?

Saintheart
2012-08-15, 02:25 AM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

"I don't know anything more than what I've heard," says Mike. "Only that it was auctioned off sometime in the 1960s, apparently, and that it was here in New York. As for enemies ... no. Well, none in the spanner community, at least none that I know of."

HunterPrime
2012-08-20, 02:39 AM
Sara Norin

Sara was quiet as she listened to the guy talk. It was quite a story. Bouncing around in time was quite confusing. As this guy was not sure of what really was happening, as it was still in 'Yet'..so it has not happened yet to him. It made her head hurt. But he read and heard about it. That had to be a bit scary. To find out that you were going to be killed, your limbs torn apart, and while the part about being made a Saint was kinda nice, that fact that you have to die ... badly didnt seem like a good trade off. And here he was, trying to track down limbs that had not been removed yet.

But as Sara wrapped her head around it, his 'hand' seemed to have been made into a reliquary..a golden one. Not just an hand, but an arm to boot.

So..was his 'hand' actually a part of it then? A gold plated hand and arm?
Well, if it had been auctioned, no telling. They might be public auctions, but she was sure that if it was 'stolen', it might be a more private auction.

Sara listed to J.P. and Nathan speak. Nathan spoke up first. "Any movement of historical or religious artifacts is going to leave a paper trail a mile wide. It would be child's play to talk my way into the customs office for a look at the relevant records. Of course that's assuming things are legitimate, if it's being moved through the black market things become much more difficult." he spoke softly.

J.P. chimes in as well. "I'll probably have to cross-reference Wycroft,1106. at the public library - oh, thanks for reminding me to renew my library card. But do you have any enemies we should know of? I mean, you get to save your town, 'if' you get the hand back in time…or down. Whatever."

But Mike coudlnt give them more info on a date that it might have been auctioned off. 1960's? None of them could move like that, as far as she knew of. Not without taking a long while to get there. So why come to this time?

Again, that nagging feeling. But Sara could do with that later. She looked at the others. "Well, unless someone has any complaints, we could at least do some basic research, at least. As im sure not all churches are quite so um.. 'willing' to speak about all their religious stuff to just anyone. Not like we can explain why..." she gave a grin. "Besides, I doubt if it was a church religious artifact...they would have sent it to an 'legit' auction, anyway." she added.

She would also like a chance to talk to the others as well. At the moment, they really had no proof Mike's story was 100 percent kosher either. A bit of checking before they committed to anything sounded best to her.

Sara went over, and took a seat on the couch. She whips out a small notebook, and begins writing stuff down.

TAG: ALL

HunterPrime
2012-08-25, 08:44 AM
OOC: Hope you dont mind a double post...but since folks seem a bit stuck..

Sara Norin

After the stranger Mike spoke, the room got very quiet. Sara tried not to fidget. She had questions, but none of them she wanted to deal with, with the guy still in the room. She flipped her notebook closed for a moment.

Finally she stood, offering Mike a smile.

"Well Mike, you certainly gave us a lot to think about. But I think that we'd like a few moments to chat about how we might be able to help you." Sara stood up, and walked over to where Mike was sitting. "So, maybe you can go back to the club, and enjoy a few free drinks and relax, while my mates and me have a few words. You understand."

She gestured politely, as she smiled. "Im sure we can get you something to eat too, if you're hungry. It shoudlnt take long." Hehe.. if long really meant anything to a spanner. She was still trying to wrap her mind around it all. But she certainly wasnt going to simply jump in the fire with no idea of what she was doing.

She waited for Mike's response, before she would deal with the rest of her corner. Geeze...once a MP, always an MP it seemed. But to quote a bad phrase, 'her spidey senses were tingling...' and she was not going to simply ignore them.

:smallbiggrin:

TAG: My corner peeps!

greyjedi125
2012-08-28, 01:27 AM

J.P froze as Sara spoke and stood up, the straw still in his mouth as his eyes looked up. He'd grown to respect Sara and her instincts, to the point that they were a comfort and a source of reassurance in this, his new life as a spanner. As he listened, he nodded slowly in agreement. He too thought that the group needed to talk amongst themselves, but he had no idea how to go about it - seems Sara was on the same page. Problem solved…depending on Mike's response.

J.P.'s eyes looked about, to see how the others reacted, agreed or disagreed, before his brown eyes finally settled back on their visitor, Mike, just in case he could spot any funny business.

Tag: Saint, HP, Sanguine,Airanath,Kestrel404

Airanath
2012-08-30, 04:32 AM
Masao

Masao remained silent, trying to put the facts together, but a lot of the stuff was sounding odd to him, and he guessed for his corner mates as well from the reactions.
The handing being cast in gold would make it hard to be sure if it was the indeed Mike's hand, and not just some golden fake. He was also busy wondering why cast it in gold in the first place, would be easier to just make a golden cast of a fake hand for starters. Indeed, he tought they needed a private talk among themselves.

Saintheart
2012-09-07, 01:35 AM
Saturday, 5 June 1993

"Ah...very well," said Mike in response to the question. "I'll be down in that, what do you call it, dance hall below." He quickly headed off, leaving the group to discuss things among themselves.

OOC: Many apologies for the long delay there, guys. You deserve better and you'll be getting it from now on. :smallfrown:

HunterPrime
2012-09-10, 02:04 AM
Sara Norin
Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn - New York City, Late Piscean Era
Saturday, 5 June 1993

Sara stood up, and walked over to where Mike was sitting. "So, maybe you can go back to the club, and enjoy a few free drinks and relax, while my mates and me have a few words. You understand."

"Ah...very well," said Mike in response to the question. "I'll be down in that, what do you call it, dance hall below." He quickly headed off, leaving the group to discuss things among themselves.

Sara waited until Mike was gone before turning back to the rest of the group, frowning slightly.

"Any of you guys find it kinda odd that this guy would show up, one the weekend that darn near EVERYONE knows that Justin is at the hog rally this weekend?" Sara flipped through her notebook.

"And if he heard it was auctioned off around 1960...why in heck did he show up NOW..thirty years after the fact? And that's if we believe him at face value to begin with. He might be the one trying to steal the silly thing for all we know..." Sara wrinkled her brow. "Or it's a test." Sara shrugged her shoulders.

"Wadda you guys think? We can at least take a look. I doubt seriously it is in any church, if it was 'auctioned'... unless the church was REALLY hurting, or churches sure have changed lately." Sara gave the group a grin. "Though I got NO IDEA, how ya run around Brooklyn, trying to track down an golden arm, so Im willing to hear some suggestions." Sara plopped down on the couch, waiting for her other corner mates to speak up.

TAG: ALL

greyjedi125
2012-09-10, 10:35 AM

J.P. had to hand it to Sara, she sure knew how to handle people. She managed to get the group to meet in 'relative' privacy, as Mike exited the room agreeably. Such was her 'people skills'.

J.P. had to admit, he was a just a wee-bit jealous of her know how, but he quickly put those thoughts out of his mind as Sara begin to address the group.

"Any of you guys find it kinda odd that this guy would show up, one the weekend that darn near EVERYONE knows that Justin is at the hog rally this weekend?"

Sara had a valid point. There were no such thing as 'coincidences' in this world of spanners. As he continued to listen, he realized that all her points were indeed valid.

No one spoke immediately after Sara had finished speaking, but instead, took a few moments to ponder on what was said. Trap, or Test? there was no real way to be sure. Maybe Justin had set this all up himself,for all they knew.

"I say we could at least research the golden hand at the auction, if such a thing really did happen in the first place…" J.P. said suddenly,breaking the silence.

"It couldn't hurt." He asserted almost defensively, but pressed on just the same. He had to admit, his curiosity had been peaked. "We can start at the Hall of records and go through 1960's auctions, then depending on what we find, we could see for ourselves?"

J.P. paused another moment before finally adding one more thing.

"You know we won't get any real answers sitting around…" he said with a shrug.

HunterPrime
2012-09-23, 01:23 AM
Sara Norin
Mercy Warehouse, Brooklyn - New York City, Late Piscean Era
Saturday, 5 June 1993

The room was so quiet, after she had asked her question, she wondered what her roommates were thinking, when finally J.P. responded to her.

"I say we could at least research the golden hand at the auction, if such a thing really did happen in the first place…" J.P. said suddenly,breaking the silence. "It couldn't hurt." He asserted. "We can start at the Hall of records and go through 1960's auctions, then depending on what we find, we could see for ourselves?" J.P. paused, then added. "You know we won't get any real answers sitting around…" he said with a shrug.

Sara chuckled softly. "Thats gonna be a LOT of searching." Sara replied. "You want to handle that one, then?" she asked J.P. Sara rubbed her temples, as she was trying to remember stuff. "Maybe if we can find some of the history, we can figure out more. At least it will tell us if he's telling the truth or not."

Sara dropped her hands. "I think I will do a little research on our 'guest''. She gave J.P. a grin. "Any other ideas or thoughts?" she added.