PDA

View Full Version : We are defenders of the night. WE ARE GARGOYLES! (peach)

Kaje
2012-07-27, 12:44 PM
Was watching some of this great cartoon and quick made up this race for them. What think y'all? Should they be stronger? Tougher? LA? RHD? Is there something better than darkvision for creatures that are only around at night?

Should they perhaps even be split into subraces? One regular (Brooklyn), one with powerful build (Goliath), and one smaller with arm-flaps (Lexington)?

GARGOYLE RACIAL TRAITS
• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma. Gargoyles are extraordinarily strong and tough, but their sinister countenance repels others.
• Medium: As a Medium creature, a gargoyle has no special bonuses or penalties due to her size.
• Gargoyle base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision: A gargoyle has darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Claws: A gargoyle has two claw attacks that each deal 1d4 points of damage.
• Gliding: Gargoyles can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing them to travel 20 feet horizontally for every 5 feet of descent. A gargoyle glides at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability).
• Gargoyles have a climb speed of 15 feet.
• +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
• Stone Sleep: A gargoyle turns to stone during the daylight hours as the flesh to stone spell. When the sun sets, it returns to its flesh-and-blood form. While in its stone form, a gargoyle recovers lost hit points and ability damage as if it had slept for 8 hours.
• Automatic Language: Common
• Favored Class: Barbarian.
• Level Adjustment: +1

falloutimperial
2012-07-27, 01:13 PM
You are my hero. This race seems pretty tough to balance with others, but maybe it's better that way. I can see an entire party playing as gargoyles in a campaign designed to fit the added abilities of such tough characters and the ability to fly.

Kaje
2012-07-28, 08:08 PM
Yes, they are tough to balance, but I think their many strengths are mostly balanced by their complete vulnerability during the day.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Zaydos
2012-07-28, 08:15 PM
I'd have given them a full-fledged climb speed, might be a tad strong but 1 LA hurts.

I'd have also had Stone Sleep heal them more because they noted on several occasions that a gargoyle's stone sleep would heal most any wounds (always seemed to me it would fully heal them except for regrowing lost body parts).

nonsi
2012-07-29, 12:11 AM
At some point in his adventuring careers, a Gargoyle should be able to delay stonesleep and develop the ability to actually fly.
You did a great job so far, so I'll leave the details to you.

One thing that's missing though, is claw damage.

Kaje
2012-07-29, 02:16 AM
Well, that's certainly not something we see in the show, but then, we never see such a high level gargoyle. So not a bad idea. Perhaps a fortitude save to delay stone sleep for some time?

Kavurcen
2012-07-29, 05:57 AM
Mandatory. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic)
The problem with figuring out if a Gargoyle should be able to glide or fly is there's no real answer in the show. They started out strictly gliding, but it seems a lot as the show progresses like they're able to fly, and only restricted to gliding when it's convenient to the plot, like giving the robots an edge or preventing them from chasing somebody down.