PDA

View Full Version : Which of the McFarlai is cleanest?

Sunken Valley
2012-07-30, 03:49 PM
Seth McFarlane is the creator of Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show and Ted. All of these are quite dirty. What I want to know is, in order, which is the "cleanest" and which is the foulest.

No specific examples please, then the mods won't come.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-30, 04:22 PM
Oh man! This is like asking what beach has the most sand on it. Honestly, the first few season of Family Guy weren't that bad. They were dirty, but the jokes had context and substance. Now it's just vulgarity for the sake of vulgarity and shock humor. I'll try to do this, though I haven't seen some:

First seasons of Family Guy
Ted*
American Dad
Cleveland Show*
Family post cancellation and brought back

*Things I haven't seen well enough to say exactly (though I've heard Ted was quite good and not like his shows all that much)

Maxios
2012-07-30, 06:02 PM
The Cleaveland Show is the cleanest. The dirtiest is the later seasons of Family Guy.

Zen Monkey
2012-07-30, 06:12 PM
Cleveland Show is probably cleanest. American Dad depends on your reference pool. It's clean-ish on a superficial viewing, but Roger says things that are probably slipping past censors only because they didn't understand what was meant.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-30, 06:44 PM
Cleveland Show is probably cleanest. American Dad depends on your reference pool. It's clean-ish on a superficial viewing, but Roger says things that are probably slipping past censors only because they didn't understand what was meant.

Roger has to be one of my least favorite TV characters of all time. And keep in mind, I like Meelo from Legend of Korra. Yeah.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 03:39 PM
Depends on the Family Guy. The older Family Guy wasn't all that bad. The new Family Guy is flat-out horribly dirty. American Dad did quite a bit of that, but has long since gotten much more tasteful. I don't know Ted or The Cleveland Show, though.

The Extinguisher
2012-08-02, 01:37 PM
Ted is probably at the bottom of the list. It's very good, but it's full of profanity and other things you wouldn't want to watch with your parents in the room.

Dr.Epic
2012-08-02, 04:39 PM
American Dad did quite a bit of that, but has long since gotten much more tasteful.

What? I thought it got much worse like Family guy.:smallconfused:

Raistlin1040
2012-08-02, 06:01 PM
Family Guy started out good and got steadily worse. American Dad started out mediocre, dropped a little, and then steadily started to rise, in my opinion. I think McFarlane and the majority of the writing staff moved on to American Dad, took a season to find their sea-legs, and left Family Guy behind. Explains the decline of Family Guy and the rise of American Dad at similar times pretty well.

Dr.Epic
2012-08-02, 06:22 PM
Family Guy started out good and got steadily worse. American Dad started out mediocre, dropped a little, and then steadily started to rise, in my opinion. I think McFarlane and the majority of the writing staff moved on to American Dad, took a season to find their sea-legs, and left Family Guy behind. Explains the decline of Family Guy and the rise of American Dad at similar times pretty well.

I thought their direction was to give Roger every vice under the sun regardless of how vulgar it would be.

Kellhus
2012-08-02, 07:24 PM
Wait, are people in this thread talking about quality or PGness. At the very least, it seems like some people are conflating the two.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 09:24 PM
What? I thought it got much worse like Family guy.:smallconfused:

Actually, somewhere along the line, it seemed to get significantly more watchable. Although V

Wait, are people in this thread talking about quality or PGness. At the very least, it seems like some people are conflating the two.

^ might have a point. I might be confusing quality with PG when it comes to American Dad. Though it'd still be hard to beat Family Guy's later seasons when it comes to not being PG.