Prime32
2012-07-31, 10:08 AM
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/07/war-machine-company-selling-14m-personal.php

Dr.Epic
2012-07-31, 10:41 AM
Does it have a giga-drill?:smallwink:

Nerd-o-rama
2012-07-31, 11:13 AM
I can see how this was put together and that it's feasible as an extremely goofy vehicle (especially since it rolls on wheel-legs rather than attempting to walk) but I am calling bull**** on these "weapons" being at all legal in Japan, which makes me think at least part of this is a hoax.

Many interesting ideas, but...6000 RPM "BB" guns? Really?

Tyndmyr
2012-07-31, 11:37 AM
Gatling guns fired by my smile?

Oh yes. I want.

Tengu_temp
2012-07-31, 11:56 AM
The ranged weapons use completely nonlethal systems, the melee weapons are tool more than anything. I'm pretty sure this is completely legal and exist for real. Now, if anyone actually has the money for that...

As for Smile Shot, this guy approves:
https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/jp/image/1337/39/1337391469947.jpg

Comrade
2012-07-31, 02:41 PM
Oh Japan, always making things I direly want but can never possibly have.

Yora
2012-07-31, 03:18 PM
"Fully functional" as in "can stand and move slowly on hard and flatt surfaces"?

Kobold-Bard
2012-07-31, 03:30 PM
Be careful not to cause a shooting spree by smiling too much

When I win the lottery, that's going to be right at the top of my Ridiculous Purchases list.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-07-31, 05:57 PM
The ranged weapons use completely nonlethal systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB_gun#Safety

There's nonlethal and there's "50 assault and battery charges waiting to happen if you think of something funny on the street."

Tengu_temp
2012-07-31, 06:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BB_gun#Safety

There's nonlethal and there's "50 assault and battery charges waiting to happen if you think of something funny on the street."

Maybe they wanted to stay accurate to what usually happens with emotion-driven special systems in mecha shows?

Eldan
2012-07-31, 06:21 PM
For that I'd suggest a Gigawatt laser or two and a giant circular sawblade.

Wyntonian
2012-07-31, 06:32 PM
I'm getting a distinct April Fool's Joke vibe from this. Yes, it's July, but still.

Also, how the hell does that auto targeting system work? Facial recognition?

Kobold-Bard
2012-07-31, 06:36 PM

Also, how the hell does that auto targeting system work? Facial recognition?

My dad's digital camera can pick out faces with a targeting square thing. I assume that a Japanese mecha can do better than that.

Wyntonian
2012-07-31, 06:41 PM
My dad's digital camera can pick out faces with a targeting square thing. I assume that a Japanese mecha can do better than that.

I suppose... but it seems like a flaw when the target can foil your targeting system by, oh, I dunno, holding a hand over their face. Or turning around. Or wearing a ski mask. Or being really, really ugly.

Also, I'd be amazed if it could correct your aim automatically, with minimal lag, to hit a tracked target.

Prime32
2012-07-31, 06:42 PM
Also, how the hell does that auto targeting system work? Facial recognition?Kinect. :smalltongue:

The Succubus
2012-08-01, 05:20 AM
Many interesting ideas, but...6000 RPM "BB" guns? Really?

6000 RPM of *anything* distinctly fails the "non-lethal" criteria.

Jan Mattys
2012-08-01, 05:29 AM
I really don't see any problem with the Smile Gun.

It's designed for Shinji Ikari. The dude is incapable of actual smiling, so that's as non-lethal as you can get.

thubby
2012-08-01, 05:43 AM
gettin there...

Tyndmyr
2012-08-01, 08:48 AM
6000 RPM of *anything* distinctly fails the "non-lethal" criteria.

This.

Yes, a single bb is merely painful, and will only do surface damage. 6000/second quickly ascends to the "strips the flesh from your bones" level.

Tengu_temp
2012-08-01, 01:40 PM
6000 per minute. That's 100 per second. And depending on the power of the launcher, this might range from very painful but not a real health hazard unless you hit an eye, to just feeling like the balls are being poured on you. And something tells me it's more of the latter.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-01, 01:49 PM
6000 per minute. That's 100 per second. And depending on the power of the launcher, this might range from very painful but not a real health hazard unless you hit an eye, to just feeling like the balls are being poured on you. And something tells me it's more of the latter.

If they're leaving the barrel at a rate of 100 per second, they aren't leaving the gun slowly. Try pouring 100 bbs a second into a hole, and you'll rapidly see why it's impossible.

Incidentally, "very painful, but not a real health hazard unless you hit an eye" is about the starting point for bb guns, not the maximum. Scaled up(in power, not necessarily ammo sized) air-powered guns are used for hunting small game.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-01, 02:11 PM
I'm not going to lie if I had 1.3 million dollars lying around I would buy this thing.

I wonder if for paying a little extra I could get them to paint it red and supercharge the engine... what?

kpenguin
2012-08-01, 02:15 PM
If I had 1.3 million dollars... I'd probably invest it into something safe and secure.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-01, 02:23 PM
If I had 1.3 million dollars... I'd probably invest it into something safe and secure.

Which is what you'd be inside that thing.

kpenguin
2012-08-01, 02:35 PM
Which is what you'd be inside that thing.

Hahahaha. Good point! Mechas are the best investment a man could make. Let me call my broker.

Tengu_temp
2012-08-01, 02:55 PM
Incidentally, "very painful, but not a real health hazard unless you hit an eye" is about the starting point for bb guns, not the maximum. Scaled up(in power, not necessarily ammo sized) air-powered guns are used for hunting small game.

I have personal experience with one-shot airsoft handguns. The low-end ones are really, really weak. You're right about the much more powerful ones, though, but I doubt they're really used here.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 03:25 PM
Just the fact that the mecha exists is more than enough to put a smile on my face....

But it shouldn't be controlled by smiles. It should have a pair of Joy Sticks, like what with a Gundam...

Japan, why are you so weird and awesome?

Kobold-Bard
2012-08-01, 03:40 PM
Given that it can be controlled by a miniature version of itself & on an iphone with 3G leads me to believe this probably isn't the most secure method of personal transportation. They may need to rethink that.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-01, 03:44 PM
Just the fact that the mecha exists is more than enough to put a smile on my face....

But it shouldn't be controlled by smiles. It should have a pair of Joy Sticks, like what with a Gundam...

Japan, why are you so weird and awesome?

Actually it does have two joysticks check out the instructional video though they are on a centered setup not at the end of the arm rests.

... and while we ignore it of course its no secret that the standard Gundam controls actually make no sense for the displayed fine control. Motion capture control is actually the only sensible solution for many functions outside of cybernetics.

Interesting factoid. I just recalled that Heinlein's power armor (the granddaddy of all mecha) had oral controls too, albeint using biting as a button and not for weapons but still I think that says something

Seraph
2012-08-01, 03:45 PM
The ranged weapons use completely nonlethal systems, the melee weapons are tool more than anything. I'm pretty sure this is completely legal and exist for real. Now, if anyone actually has the money for that...

As for Smile Shot, this guy approves:
https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/jp/image/1337/39/1337391469947.jpg

the best part about using heero.jpg for this is that the Kuratas' face is clearly based on a Leo.

I wonder if for paying a little extra I could get them to paint it red and supercharge the engine... what?

Fun fact, if you go to their homepage (http://suidobashijuko.jp), they have a flash-based interactive robot customizer for customers. Char's zaku color scheme is literally the very first alternate paint job on the list, with other options including regular zaku green, Hyaku Shiki gold, and Eva Unit 01.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-01, 03:47 PM
Actually it does have two joysticks check out the instructional video though they are on a centered setup not at the end of the arm rests.

Oh. I just saw the image and my ability to think flat-lined.

... and while we ignore it of course its no secret that the standard Gundam controls actually make no sense for the displayed fine control. Motion capture control is actually the only sensible solution for many functions outside of cybernetics.

G-Gundam uses those controls, actually. The bigger question is this: how many of the potential buyers are going to enjoy the form-fitting suits used? :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-01, 10:58 PM
Fun fact, if you go to their homepage (http://suidobashijuko.jp), they have a flash-based interactive robot customizer for customers. Char's zaku color scheme is literally the very first alternate paint job on the list, with other options including regular zaku green, Hyaku Shiki gold, and Eva Unit 01.

That's it... I now need to become fabulously rich so I can buy this machine.

Also found the blue white color scheme and a shield option. I should buy two and leave one for some kid to fall into....

G-Gundam uses those controls, actually. The bigger question is this: how many of the potential buyers are going to enjoy the form-fitting suits used? :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Yes interesting that least serious Gundam series uses moderately realistic (and intimate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5YbocFBBsU)) control systems. Course still an open question how they run in those things.

Note the show doesn't actually show us Domon's Erupting Jogging Stride.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-02, 04:22 AM
I'd rather save my money and hopefully eventually get enough to buy this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Adventures#Orbital_commercial_space_business ).
Clunky car with arms, or ride past the blue yonder into the yawning edge of blackest infinity?
Not much of a choice in my opinion.

Prime32
2012-08-02, 07:01 AM
Huh, so the available weapons include a handgun, a crushing claw, and a pile bunker. Sadly there is no option to install LOHAS launchers on both shoulder rails. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBvUZ9M0Dk)

IncoherentEssay
2012-08-02, 10:44 AM
Any bets on how long it takes until there's a Kickstarter to set up a shooting range for mecha :smalltongue:?
Given how many want-but-can't-afford, such a Rent-a-Mech service might even be a viable business, at least in the short term.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 01:55 PM
That's it... I now need to become fabulously rich so I can buy this machine.

This is a consensus that most of us can agree on.

Also found the blue white color scheme and a shield option. I should buy two and leave one for some kid to fall into....

This is how we should fight our battles from now on.

..... oh my GOD Japanese Animation Predicts the Future!

Yes interesting that least serious Gundam series uses moderately realistic (and intimate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5YbocFBBsU)) control systems.

I wasn't going to link it, but yeah, that's what I was illuding to. That, and seeing Domon's butt in almost -every- single episode probably confused one or two male viewers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-nnK0HElto)

It's -so- much worse in Japanese, though. I read up on it, and Rain's Japanese Voice Actor may have worked in Hentai. And it sounds like it.

Course still an open question how they run in those things.

I'm not quite sure what you mean; the Gundam, the Cockpit, or the Spandex?

Note the show doesn't actually show us Domon's Erupting Jogging Stride.

..... I'm sorry, but the word Erupting makes it hard for me to take this as anything but an Innuendo.

And while I sound horribly minded, seriously, watch this again, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-nnK0HElto)and understand where I'm coming from.

I'd rather save my money and hopefully eventually get enough to buy this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Adventures#Orbital_commercial_space_business ).
Clunky car with arms, or ride past the blue yonder into the yawning edge of blackest infinity?

The second option sounds a bit too scary and depressing for my tastes. Giant Mobile Suit Fighting Action. No part of that phrase isn't awesome.

Tyndmyr
2012-08-02, 02:16 PM
I have personal experience with one-shot airsoft handguns. The low-end ones are really, really weak. You're right about the much more powerful ones, though, but I doubt they're really used here.

They shoot bb's, not airsoft. Airsoft is plastic, and typically fired at significantly lower speeds. bbs are metal, and double as ammunition in shotgun loads for killing ducks.

Wyntonian
2012-08-02, 04:36 PM
I wonder why they didn't just include a thumb or index-finger trigger on the controls, instead of it being smile-powered?

Dr.Epic
2012-08-02, 04:42 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/07/30/expensive-mecha.jpg

Well, I know what I'm asking for for Christmas.
(it's the mech)

Kobold-Bard
2012-08-02, 04:46 PM
I wonder why they didn't just include a thumb or index-finger trigger on the controls, instead of it being smile-powered?

Where's the fun in that?

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-02, 06:58 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean; the Gundam, the Cockpit, or the Spandex?

Umm the first two. See its one thing to have motion capture for say an arm. move the arm and the suit moves with it. Easy.

Now the problem with this concept running and walking is that if you have an actual stride that means the pilot has to actually walk. Inside a fairly small cockpit the only have room to take a few steps in. So you take two steps and you are walking into the walls of the cockpit.

Its a fundamental problem of the motion capture concept and why all dedicated Kinect can't do what it ostensibly wants to unlike what it was developed to counter-program.

Now yes one can say jog in place and have an algorithim convert that to walk/run motion but then you are removing the fundamental point which is effortless control. And that's just for forward motion, it get more complicate to say y'know turn.

(Of course even attempting this with a mecha is why this thing rolls. Something your average three year old can manage is ridiculous difficult for the finest computers in existence)

..... I'm sorry, but the word Erupting makes it hard for me to take this as anything but an Innuendo.

And?

They do have buttons on the control sticks, presumably that configuration is possible. The demonstration video has "when properly configured" attached to the smile controls.

thubby
2012-08-02, 07:26 PM
Umm the first two. See its one thing to have motion capture for say an arm. move the arm and the suit moves with it. Easy.

Now the problem with this concept running and walking is that if you have an actual stride that means the pilot has to actually walk. Inside a fairly small cockpit the only have room to take a few steps in. So you take two steps and you are walking into the walls of the cockpit.

Its a fundamental problem of the motion capture concept and why all dedicated Kinect can't do what it ostensibly wants to unlike what it was developed to counter-program.

Now yes one can say jog in place and have an algorithim convert that to walk/run motion but then you are removing the fundamental point which is effortless control. And that's just for forward motion, it get more complicate to say y'know turn.

(Of course even attempting this with a mecha is why this thing rolls. Something your average three year old can manage is ridiculous difficult for the finest computers in existence)

multi-directional treadmills are one solution.
this is what today's technology can do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY&feature=BFa&list=FLieYCYOaCQe_ks_bU5FrWUA)

i have to imagine that by the time we get highly articulate, fully responsive giant mecha, a proper omni-directinal treadmill wouldn't be a big issue.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-02, 08:28 PM
this is what today's technology can do (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY&feature=BFa&list=FLieYCYOaCQe_ks_bU5FrWUA)

i have to imagine that by the time we get highly articulate, fully responsive giant mecha, a proper omni-directinal treadmill wouldn't be a big issue.

Oh yes solutions can exist, just as relevant to G Gundam though we don't know what their particular solution is.

However the real problem lies for those outside of a universe where the pilots can punt skyscrapers and take out mook mobile suits with a cloth sash.

Motion capture makes a lot of sense for certain difficult tasks like controlling all the fingers on a hand or opening other options for controls but a mecha big enough for a complete motion capture system with treadmill on board... is probably too big to be built.

Varying degrees of realism all around. For certain values of realism UC Gundam's advanced Newtype suits probably have the most "realistic" control system of all.

Tengu_temp
2012-08-02, 08:41 PM
Are we discussing G Gundam now?
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/243/b/1/Stupid_Sexy_Chibodee_by_chibs.jpg

Meh. Honestly, I find space travel to be overrated - I'm sure it would be nowhere near close to the unforgettable adventure some people paint it to be. But then, I don't like what most people consider adventures in general. I wouldn't spend the money on a mech either, but if I only can choose between those two, then the robot it is.

Prime32
2012-08-02, 09:17 PM
Meh. Honestly, I find space travel to be overrated - I'm sure it would be nowhere near close to the unforgettable adventure some people paint it to be. But then, I don't like what most people consider adventures in general.If you want to experience what it's like to travel on a spaceship, try a nuclear submarine. Space isn't colorful, and spaceships aren't/won't be roomy.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-02, 09:35 PM

I bet there are a couple of ways around this. I bet a DDR Pad like set up for dirrections could help with moving the thing...

And?

Just making sure I'm not on the wrong wavelength.

Didn't they do that in the Rugrat's Paris movie? With the giant Reptar Mech?

However the real problem lies for those outside of a universe where the pilots can punt skyscrapers and take out mook mobile suits with a cloth sash.

I don't see the problem. I just see awesome. Even the bro-fists are awesome in that universe...

Are we discussing G Gundam now?
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/243/b/1/Stupid_Sexy_Chibodee_by_chibs.jpg

Yeah, it's -just- -like- -that-. Except -all- of those guys are guilty of it.

Meh. Honestly, I find space travel to be overrated - I'm sure it would be nowhere near close to the unforgettable adventure some people paint it to be. But then, I don't like what most people consider adventures in general. I wouldn't spend the money on a mech either, but if I only can choose between those two, then the robot it is.

Cracked.com did a nice article over how bad space-travel is. Including never making it back to the real world and it being a completely different place upon your return, as well as all sorts of sucky things about the travel itself.

Mewtarthio
2012-08-02, 09:45 PM

Aside from the sheer evilness that comes from constructing a device that converts joy into wanton slaughter? I'd say it's because your fingers will get tired eventually, but if you're using the mecha properly, you'll never stop laughing.

userpay
2012-08-02, 11:17 PM

One of the color schemes is mickey mouse.

Pokonic
2012-08-02, 11:31 PM

Well, how else could the DC's next Batman movie have the Joker in a giant robot?

SiuiS
2012-08-03, 12:04 AM
I suppose... but it seems like a flaw when the target can foil your targeting system by, oh, I dunno, holding a hand over their face. Or turning around. Or wearing a ski mask. Or being really, really ugly.

Also, I'd be amazed if it could correct your aim automatically, with minimal lag, to hit a tracked target.

My iPhone can pick out a "face" made by two pencil pokes and a slight crease of the paper.

It also tends to autofocus in weird places, such as declaring the plump bottom of an anime character the "face" and focusing there hen trying to show someone a poster I was considering buying.

Either way, hilarity would ensue.

Wyntonian
2012-08-03, 05:31 PM
My iPhone can pick out a "face" made by two pencil pokes and a slight crease of the paper.

When the robot apocalypse comes, I'll defend my house with totem poles.

Y'know, that would actually be pretty cool....

Nekura
2012-08-04, 01:10 AM
On first impression it looks cool. Then taking a closer look there are a lot of negatives. It only goes 10 kph or a little over 6 mph. So it goes to slow to be able to drive it on most roads and too huge to drive most places. They donít show much of the weapons in action and what they do show of the water bottle launcher isnít very impressive. It costs a lot of money and the only thing keeping people out of the cockpit is an easy to find button. That reminds me of when the army used to bring a tank to the state fair. They used to let kids climb all over it and sit inside. They had to stop because it didnít have a key you could take with you so kids were able to turn it on.

Balmas
2012-08-04, 01:50 AM
On first impression it looks cool. Then taking a closer look there are a lot of negatives. It only goes 10 kph or a little over 6 mph. So it goes to slow to be able to drive it on most roads and too huge to drive most places. They donít show much of the weapons in action and what they do show of the water bottle launcher isnít very impressive. It costs a lot of money and the only thing keeping people out of the cockpit is an easy to find button. That reminds me of when the army used to bring a tank to the state fair. They used to let kids climb all over it and sit inside. They had to stop because it didnít have a key you could take with you so kids were able to turn it on.

On the other hand, you're driving a fifteen foot tall robot with a gatling gun. What's not to like? I'd say it's worth it for the swag factor alone.

Deth Muncher
2012-08-04, 02:39 AM
Okay, we're juuuust about at Guntank level. Call me when someone perfects the 0079.

Prime32
2012-08-04, 07:05 AM
the only thing keeping people out of the cockpit is an easy to find button.I assume that there's a way to lock it from inside. :smallconfused:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-04, 02:47 PM
And seriously a locking cockpit is a small easily engineered detail.... so rating from the Russian judge much?

Nekura
2012-08-04, 04:39 PM
And seriously a locking cockpit is a small easily engineered detail.... so rating from the Russian judge much?

Well I guess it is kind of realistic that a "military" vehicle is easy to get inside and turn on. I mentioned tanks earlier but fighter jets also have no lock keeping people from getting into the cockpit or key needed to turn it on. But they tend to be in secure areas or have people guarding them. This is a rich persons toy that you can't just park somewhere without curious kids being able to get inside and take it for a joyride? I don't know how easy it would be to add a lock to it but you shouldn't have to it should come with it.

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-04, 04:47 PM
Of course, if you have to bodge one on yourself, you might just have to use what you have access to.

So now I can no longer imagine the Mech without a little toilet-stall "Occupied" latch. It's an enduring mental image.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-04, 04:58 PM
Well I guess it is kind of realistic that a "military" vehicle is easy to get inside and turn on. I mentioned tanks earlier but fighter jets also have no lock keeping people from getting into the cockpit or key needed to turn it on. But they tend to be in secure areas or have people guarding them. This is a rich persons toy that you can't just park somewhere without curious kids being able to get inside and take it for a joyride? I don't know how easy it would be to add a lock to it but you shouldn't have to it should come with it.

If you leave your mecha lying around unattended and some kid jumps into it to become a world saving hero that is your own damn fault. And probably a feature

But you are really missing what I'm talking about. This is like complaining about food on an airplane. Gravity demands that all of us remain firmly planted in the Earth but thanks to some min-maxing to take advantage of a gamebreaking bug in the rules governing air pressure we can cheat the hell out of a fundamental force of the universe to make voyages in measurable in hours that would have once required days where not weeks... and you want to complain that the food isn't as good. The food you are being provided with hundreds of feet in the air where even slight things going wrong spell doom... and you want to complain about the FOOD. This rant lifted from wise wizard Harry Dresden.

Nekura
2012-08-04, 06:43 PM
If you leave your mecha lying around unattended and some kid jumps into it to become a world saving hero that is your own damn fault. And probably a feature

But you are really missing what I'm talking about. This is like complaining about food on an airplane. Gravity demands that all of us remain firmly planted in the Earth but thanks to some min-maxing to take advantage of a gamebreaking bug in the rules governing air pressure we can cheat the hell out of a fundamental force of the universe to make voyages in measurable in hours that would have once required days where not weeks... and you want to complain that the food isn't as good. The food you are being provided with hundreds of feet in the air where even slight things going wrong spell doom... and you want to complain about the FOOD. This rant lifted from wise wizard Harry Dresden.

I am not saying mecha arenít cool and if this particular mecha is somewhat disappointing well they have to start somewhere. As time goes by they will come out with better and better mecha. But then when in Japan instead of roving bands of yakuza on motorcycles you need to worry about them on mecha :smallbiggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-05, 08:17 AM

A 6000rpm "nonlethal" (hah!) BB gatling operated when the pilot smiles.

Yes, this is clearly the greatest idea in military innovation since the Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.9 or the Linke-Hofmann R.I. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Kato
2012-08-06, 08:15 AM
Man, that's a nice toy if I ever get rich... but I wish it was like... a bit taller. Well, maybe in ten years. Then we can actually have tournaments in those... muahahaha! (To determine who rules Earth)

I wasn't going to link it, but yeah, that's what I was illuding to. That, and seeing Domon's butt in almost -every- single episode probably confused one or two male viewers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-nnK0HElto)

Meh, I have to say the guys didn't work for me. When Rain got into the Gundam that one time though... In the original Japanese, that is... :smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:

Giegue
2012-08-07, 03:08 PM
Interesting...very interesting. Now I just have to find a way to join the New World Order so I can afford one of these...

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-08, 08:31 AM
Interesting...very interesting. Now I just have to find a way to join the New World Order so I can afford one of these...

All Hail Britannia?

Ravens_cry
2012-08-08, 04:57 PM
It's a top heavy car with arms.
By this logic, a Bomb Disposal Robot is a remote control mech.

kpenguin
2012-08-08, 05:04 PM
It's a top heavy car with arms.
By this logic, a Bomb Disposal Robot is a remote control mech.

...it is.:smallconfused:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-08, 05:30 PM
Well said robot may or may not be a mech but it is certainly mecha.

Kato
2012-08-09, 04:00 AM
Well said robot may or may not be a mech but it is certainly mecha.

Oh god, I was this close "> <" to wasting another few hours of my life trying to google the differentiation between mech and mecha... damn you Soras!

felinoel
2012-08-09, 03:04 PM
... want so bad. o.o

INoKnowNames
2012-08-12, 09:35 PM
Meh, I have to say the guys didn't work for me. When Rain got into the Gundam that one time though... In the original Japanese, that is... :smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:

I'm pretty sure her Japanese Voice Actor has voiced in Hentai before. I'm almost certain I read information to the afirmative on this matter, actually.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-13, 01:23 AM
Oh god, I was this close "> <" to wasting another few hours of my life trying to google the differentiation between mech and mecha... damn you Soras!

Mecha in Japanese is an abbreviation of mechanical, hence is much broader then we apply it. A car is mecha for example. Or so I understand at any rate. What we might call a mecha series is what they use robot for. Hence super and real robot genres.

Mech outside of BattleMechs/BattleTech/MechWarrior well... I'm personally not sure myself. Maybe as being slightly shorter to say then mecha and when there isn't an in-story term? Synonym of mecha in the American sense?

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-13, 08:40 AM
The Japanese term "mecha" (メカ) is an abbreviation of the English word "mechanical" and is used, in Japan, for any kind of machine - robots, cars, construction equipment, toasters, etc. The English language re-borrowed the term to apply specifically to the popularized-by-Japan idea of piloted, humanoid machines used for combat or other purposes.

It's pretty much the same story as "anime", which is a Japanese shortening of "animation" that the Japanese language uses to refer to any kind of animated work, but English re-loaned back from Japanese to mean specifically Japanese animation.

"Mech", on the other hand, is a shortening of the shortened word, and usually seems to be used to refer to a specific "mecha" in the singular only, rather than the motif as a whole.

Tengu_temp
2012-08-13, 10:08 AM
Mech is singular, mecha is plural. That's how I understand it.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-13, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if it's defined that way anywhere officially, but that's what the English etymology is probably trending towards. Mech as singular, mecha as both plural and the name for the general concept.

Kato
2012-08-13, 01:36 PM
Hm... what nerd said is pretty much what I'd figured myself... except for the origin part Soras already mentioned before...

Anyway... would it be allowed to discuss plans to steal a few of those mechas on the forum? I'm sure they have enough for anyone interested.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-13, 01:56 PM
Hm... what nerd said is pretty much what I'd figured myself... except for the origin part Soras already mentioned before...

Anyway... would it be allowed to discuss plans to steal a few of those mechas on the forum? I'm sure they have enough for anyone interested.

That's ridiculous. You expect to just be able to waltz into a warehouse and steal a million-and-a-half-dollar experimental--

Oh. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Gundam) Right. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_ZZ) Never mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_0083) then (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_X).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-16, 06:53 PM

That's... never how I understood it. Mech is a shortening, like auto. Both can be used without s at the end as plural, but it's like fish and fishes.

Anyway, I'll buy this once it proves to be as fast, as tough, as powerful, as reliable, and roughly the same price as a good armored car of steel and bulletproof glass with controls for a top-mounted swivel-mounted automatic rifle or submachine gun, and a side-mounted missile launcher protected by a welded on... sort of a box, with one end open for the launcher to fire, made of steel or titanium. The mech's coolness factor does not pay for itself, and I honestly would find a good paint job on the car to be just as aesthetically pleasing.

And Soras, people complain about airplane food because they notice it. Airplanes are just a way of traveling faster, the fact that you're flying is kinda second to that and pretty much just provides scenery. But when they're hungry, they want something other than a small bag of peanuts.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-17, 05:06 PM

That's absolutely terrible but I can see the usage settling out there.

That's still pretty recent I have to think though.

And Soras, people complain about airplane food because they notice it. Airplanes are just a way of traveling faster, the fact that you're flying is kinda second to that and pretty much just provides scenery. But when they're hungry, they want something other than a small bag of peanuts.

Its not that I don't understand the thinking, its just that I think it a terrible lack of perspective on their part.

KnightDisciple
2012-08-17, 05:56 PM
That's ridiculous. You expect to just be able to waltz into a warehouse and steal a million-and-a-half-dollar experimental--

Oh. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Gundam) Right. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_ZZ) Never mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_0083) then (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_X).
Wonder if we could get versions of this sucker in all those paint jobs?
I call the Batman paint job! :smalltongue:

As for "mech" vs "mecha", I generally personally use "mech" for anything similar to Battlemechs.
So Heavy Gear, Armored Core, Hawken, things like that are "mechs", because they're more the "walking tank" type design.

Gundam, Patlabor, any Super Robot series, those are all "mecha".

Sith_Happens
2012-08-20, 08:57 PM
All Hail Britannia?

So basically, you're saying that within five years mech technology will advance to the point that a single one could solo an entire conventional military?:smalltongue:

Either way, when the zombie apocalypse starts I know what I'm going to start pooling money with people for.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-20, 11:27 PM
That's... never how I understood it. Mech is a shortening, like auto. Both can be used without s at the end as plural, but it's like fish and fishes.

This is how I was taught. Mech, Mecha, Mechs, Mechas, it even sounds like it when you say it outloud.

I don't think anyone pilot / suit combo will be advanced enough to not fall to an army of mech units. No one's got the anime hair for that sort of thing, and technology won't be that advanced without also being reproducable.

..... Confirm or Deny.

Sith_Happens
2012-08-21, 12:19 AM
I don't think anyone pilot / suit combo will be advanced enough to not fall to an army of mech units. No one's got the anime hair for that sort of thing, and technology won't be that advanced without also being reproducable.

Well, when I said "conventional" I meant "without mechs of its own." And I'm pretty sure that by the time we have army-decimating super-mechs we'll also have some pretty advanced hair tonics.:smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-21, 04:11 AM
Now all we need to do is wait until the JSDF commissions a full-scale MBT equivalent based on this, because a bigger one of these with military grade weapons is what we're all really waiting for, right?

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-21, 07:25 AM
Now all we need to do is wait until the JSDF commissions a full-scale MBT equivalent based on this, because a bigger one of these with military grade weapons is what we're all really waiting for, right?

As I've had to explain to a lot of people, you're not going to see legged vehicles replacing MBTs. You can't make a "mech" as tough as a tank, nor put as big of a gun on it. However, they could be a force multiplier for infantry in urban environments and serve as a kind of IFV.

However, until you put in the ability for the things to walk over obstacles (such as ruins or concrete barricades in cities), the only advantage this thing has over current IFVs is a one-man crew, and that's not necessarily an advantage.

EDIT: Although I guess the ability to elevate weapons and then go hull-down like this thing can also has some advantages for effective use of cover, too.

Basically, if we see anything recognizable as mecha for serious use use in real life, it's going to look like VOTOMS, the non-silly parts of Patlabor, or the very very beginning of Code Geass, before Lancelot shows up. Except there will still be tanks.

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-21, 09:16 AM
As I've had to explain to a lot of people, you're not going to see legged vehicles replacing MBTs. You can't make a "mech" as tough as a tank, nor put as big of a gun on it. However, they could be a force multiplier for infantry in urban environments and serve as a kind of IFV.

However, until you put in the ability for the things to walk over obstacles (such as ruins or concrete barricades in cities), the only advantage this thing has over current IFVs is a one-man crew, and that's not necessarily an advantage.

EDIT: Although I guess the ability to elevate weapons and then go hull-down like this thing can also has some advantages for effective use of cover, too.

Basically, if we see anything recognizable as mecha for serious use use in real life, it's going to look like VOTOMS, the non-silly parts of Patlabor, or the very very beginning of Code Geass, before Lancelot shows up. Except there will still be tanks.

Honestly, I explained that rather badly... I know that Mecha won't replace tanks, I was thinking more something along the lines of a niche support machine, something less than common even when it's available but assigned to provide non-standard capabilities where they are needed. But the firepower could easily be scaled up to something approaching MBT level.

tensai_oni
2012-08-21, 09:19 AM
I don't want mecha being a practical combat vehicle in real life. I'd feel bad being a fan of something I know would be used to kill real people.

So, thanks laws of physics.

Yora
2012-08-21, 09:56 AM
Honestly, I explained that rather badly... I know that Mecha won't replace tanks, I was thinking more something along the lines of a niche support machine, something less than common even when it's available but assigned to provide non-standard capabilities where they are needed. But the firepower could easily be scaled up to something approaching MBT level.

Though firepower isn't really an issue most of the time. There's an ongoing discussion if the MBT does have any actual use anymore, as the only thing it's really good at is fighting MBTs. However, there are also a wide range of other things that are also very good at fighting MBTs, that have a lot of other uses as well.
If you just want something blown up, you take a Hellfire from the air or a Javelin from the ground. Sure, these missles are a lot more expensive than a tank gun shell, but you save a lot more money by not having to buy, maintain, and refuel the tank. And when you need the big guns, there is still field artillery, which is not as mobile, but much more efficient economically.

Mechs could possibly fill the MBT role, but it's the MBT role that becomes redundant, and not that tanks have reached a dead end.

Where you need a human shape is when entering buildings. But there you are limited by size, as you probably still want to be able to move through normal doors and use stairs without them breaking under you.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-21, 12:12 PM
Well, when I said "conventional" I meant "without mechs of its own." And I'm pretty sure that by the time we have army-decimating super-mechs we'll also have some pretty advanced hair tonics.:smallwink:

I am so sad that, at best, I will be a crotchety old man before I get to see this happen...

I don't want mecha being a practical combat vehicle in real life. I'd feel bad being a fan of something I know would be used to kill real people.

So, thanks laws of physics.

You don't like anything that can be used as a weapon in real life? That leaves quite a bit to dislike....

Sith_Happens
2012-08-21, 01:50 PM
You don't like anything that can be used as a weapon in real life? That leaves quite a bit to dislike....

Like your own computer. (http://xkcd.com/651/):smalltongue:

Prime32
2012-08-21, 02:58 PM
Honestly one of the biggest benefits of combat mecha is intimidation. Tell me you wouldn't be terrified if this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ) came running towards you.

kpenguin
2012-08-21, 04:26 PM
Not anymore terrified than if a tank came at me.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-21, 06:17 PM
Honestly one of the biggest benefits of combat mecha is intimidation. Tell me you wouldn't be terrified if this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNZPRsrwumQ) came running towards you.

I'm terrified of that when it's walking away from me on a 300x400 Flash window.

tensai_oni
2012-08-21, 06:46 PM

There is a difference between "can be used as a weapon" and "is probably used in warfare somewhere out there, right now - or was recently".

This is the reason I can like historical tanks, but not modern ones. And for the sake of not going political, let's leave it at that.