PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Mercy Kill

lightningcat
2012-08-06, 01:34 PM
I gave up on the Star Wars Expanded Universe back during the middle of New Jedi Order era. Various reasons, but mostly the fact that they were holding on to the movie characters at the expence of the EU only characters. Now that X-Wing: Mercy Kill is coming out I'm thinking of getting it, even though it takes place after that time period.
Mercy Kill follows the exploits of some of my favorite characters, the Wraith Squadron.

So my question is how many people are still following the EU?
If you gave up on it, why? And what would make you come back?
And do I have to go back and read any particular books for the new stuff to make sense?

Hopeless
2012-08-06, 02:26 PM
I gave up when I found out they killed off Anakin Junior, which i found out beacuse i had been collecting those ring binders and was either weekly or monthly star wars issues to put in them.

It revealed his fate long before I even knew which book it happened within about the only thing I can say is that at least Chewbacca's fate was at least suitably over the top!!!

I got the impression those three were going to be the next generation of the Star Wars Jedi family and to say I'm gutted with what they did to them... well I'd rather not spoil that for everyone else!

hamishspence
2012-08-06, 02:36 PM
I'm still following it- but I've grown somewhat less interested in the later EU, and more interested in books that fill out earlier periods.

The upcoming Timothy Zahn book Scoundrels- featuring Lando and Han in the early period, springs to mind.

Dragonus45
2012-08-06, 05:53 PM
I gave up when I found out they killed off Anakin Junior, which i found out beacuse i had been collecting those ring binders and was either weekly or monthly star wars issues to put in them.

It revealed his fate long before I even knew which book it happened within about the only thing I can say is that at least Chewbacca's fate was at least suitably over the top!!!

I got the impression those three were going to be the next generation of the Star Wars Jedi family and to say I'm gutted with what they did to them... well I'd rather not spoil that for everyone else!

The thing about young Anakin is that he didn't die for any reason other than pure executive fluffheadedness(most polite term i can think of). They didn't want a character named Anakin in any stories at the same time they were doing the prequal trilogy. They were afraid new fans would get confused.... :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-06, 06:33 PM
I was a bit young for the first EU, but I got into it when the Solo Twins were at the Yavin Academy (Kevin J Anderson...*shivers*), and then left before that redonkulous Yuuzhan Vong whatever nonsense. First one I read was Darkest Knight, I think, and it was good! At least I was entertained.

Then I jumped back in when Legacy happened.

Uugh. Just. Bad. Awful. No good.

Why can't people turn to the dark side and be awesomesauce anymore? Vader pulled it off for 30 years our time! Jacen had about 2, maybe 3 books where he was inching towards awesome, and then that (multiple, VILE expletives deleted) Karen Traviss made the whole thing about the Mandalorians, and the other writers apparently gave up and just wanted to have a whiny "Anakin" character back who failed at life in general.

I'm done with EU. Gonna rewrite the prequels in my head now. Urge to kill, fading...

McStabbington
2012-08-07, 01:13 AM
In order:

I do not.
I gave up on it because quality was on a steady decline. The Zahn trilogy is still, in my mind, the equal of the original trilogy and the trilogy that should have been made. The Han Solo trilogy was almost as good. The Truce at Bokhara was smart and well-plotted. The Courtship of Princess Leia . . . had an entirely new faction that was apparently not involved in a Galactic Civil War, but okay, it's to my mind still pretty interesting and spins a good yarn. The First Kevin J. Anderson trilogy? That was just terrible. The Crystal Star? Dude, an entire star that stops the Force. Haven't we already had this plot twist before?

And it was about there that I just said they're screwing with me and decided to call it quits. I have no regrets.

And finally, I have no idea.

MLai
2012-08-07, 01:24 AM
LOL, I thought when you said "Mercy Kill", you meant it for the EU. I came into the thread hoping for a good anti-SW rant and to agree with it. Guess I can't.

Kato
2012-08-07, 04:38 AM
I have a kind of off-topic questions... Am I right that there is quite a lack of Old Republic stories? The only ones I encountered were Knight Errant and the Bane Trilogy. Did I miss some major thing or are there just these two?

Hopeless
2012-08-07, 06:41 AM
I have a kind of off-topic questions... Am I right that there is quite a lack of Old Republic stories? The only ones I encountered were Knight Errant and the Bane Trilogy. Did I miss some major thing or are there just these two?

There was a comic series which was okay and some very good, didn't really get into collecting them but I think this is still on going and came about because of the mmo, hold on that might actually be the other way round come to think about it!.

Alejandro
2012-08-07, 09:46 AM
I clicked on this hoping to see an argument about whether or not Obi-wan should have mercy killed Anakin after mangling him :)

Hopeless
2012-08-07, 02:53 PM
I clicked on this hoping to see an argument about whether or not Obi-wan should have mercy killed Anakin after mangling him :)

Since he was within spitting distance of a lava river, technically Anakin should have died... force or no force. but thats the writer for you they should have had anakin fall off the edge and assumed to have fallen into the lava by Obi-Wan only to be revealed as haven swung underneath and was hidden from view.
He would then be found crawling up the slope after Obi-Wan had left but thats just a thought mind you!

lightningcat
2012-08-07, 04:08 PM
The thing about young Anakin is that he didn't die for any reason other than pure executive fluffheadedness(most polite term i can think of). They didn't want a character named Anakin in any stories at the same time they were doing the prequal trilogy. They were afraid new fans would get confused.... :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious:

Anakin's death was one of the primary reasons I gave up on it. It appeared that they had several ideas for storylines for him, and then he died. And not even a interesting death which is what really annoyed me.

But even before that, they seem to avoid giving the spotlight to any of the non-movie characters. The X-Wing novels were the first Star Wars books that I bought, and then most of those character's get ignored later on. Because obviously only a half dozen people are going to be involved in every major situation in the galaxy for almost a hundred years. /rant

All that said, I do like the universe, I just don't like what they keep doing to it.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-07, 11:19 PM
Since he was within spitting distance of a lava river, technically Anakin should have died... force or no force. but thats the writer for you they should have had anakin fall off the edge and assumed to have fallen into the lava by Obi-Wan only to be revealed as haven swung underneath and was hidden from view.
He would then be found crawling up the slope after Obi-Wan had left but thats just a thought mind you!

And then we wouldn't get what I consider the literal best acting scene in the prequels.

All that said, I do like the universe, I just don't like what they keep doing to it.

Which is a shame because there's still so much writing potential in the SW universe...beneath the crap. Take Kotor 2 for instance.

Velaryon
2012-08-07, 11:33 PM
I follow it on and off. I know it's never going to be as good as it was, with the X-Wing series and the original Thrawn trilogy and the other highlights of the EU back in the day. And there's still decent books coming out now and again, in between all the garbage. At least Karen Traviss stopped writing Star Wars - now if only Troy Denning would leave too.

At least we've finally moved beyond the point of detailing the full life stories of every creature or character that appears in any of the films and how their back stories all connect to Han Solo somehow, if only because they finally got just about everybody who appeared in the movies.

What would get me excited again would be novels that don't include any of the movie characters, preferably with some interesting non-Jedi characters since I think the focus tends to be on the Force-users too much. Also, they really need to just let the Sith die already and find some other villains to use.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this new X-Wing book, since Aaron Allston is still at least decent (though not as good as he used to be). I'd be more excited if Michael Stackpole came back to Star Wars since I always liked his works, but I'm still expecting a good read.

As far as what you need to know for things to make sense: if you jump into any of longer series such as New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, or Fate of the Jedi, you ought to start at the beginning of that series probably. Each series generally explains what came before well enough that you shouldn't be lost, though of course the more you've read the more you know the characters.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-07, 11:43 PM
As far as what you need to know for things to make sense: if you jump into any of longer series such as New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, or Fate of the Jedi, you ought to start at the beginning of that series probably. Each series generally explains what came before well enough that you shouldn't be lost, though of course the more you've read the more you know the characters.

I read Legacy of the Force, and I never understood what was anybody's deal once enough ancillary characters showed up. There's a guy named Horn, some crazy lady named Aleema...or Aleeta...or...I don't care since she just runs around being nutty and generally unhelpful. And Luke got married since I last read any of it. What.

When did Star Wars get so complicated? Is it gonna get better now that George Lucas retired? He did retire, right? I wasn't just dreaming that?

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-08, 06:50 AM
When did Star Wars get so complicated?

Since they wrote about twenty or thirty books covering the next forty or so years after RotJ. There's a lot of characters introduced in that time.

You started at the wrong end of the EU, really. Zhan's original Thrawn trilogy (which arguably was what caused the big resurgance of interest) are arguably the very best of the EU (and in my opinion, they're just good books, period for that matter); they capture the spirit of the films, don't get too angsty, don't drag the Jedi and the Force to be the focus of the story (important, yes, but not the central driving force) and they have probably the best villain ever.

Is it gonna get better now that George Lucas retired?

I very much doubt it. The best of the EU was towards the start (Zahn, Stackpole, TIE Fighter the game), and the direction since the New Jedi Order has been pretty ropey (mass character death, lack of decent villains, character derailment, generally poor writing etc etc). And all that is not under the direct purview of Lucas (who mainly only concerned himself with the movies), but of the guys running the rest of it.

I think it notable that Zahn won't go any further than the prior to the NJO, and even Stackpole (who wrote some of the first parts) not only failed to make me like where they were going, but some of his later quotes seem in imply he wasn't all that happy with it himself.

Personally, my headcanon goes as far as Zahn's last (chronologically) book (Survivor's Quest) and then (spoilers) assumes that Luke and Mara's suppositions of Thrawn having more than one clone was correct and the vong get quietly murderinated by Thrawn's forcs the second they show up in the galaxy and then the Empire gets ready for another go...)

An Enemy Spy
2012-08-10, 03:56 PM
Does George Lucas actually control the EU? I thought he basically just gave people permission to do stories they want to do.
I've never had any interest in the EU. While I like the movies(even Phantom Menace), everything about the EU just sounds so convoluted and complicated. Add the fact that there upwards of about 300 (not sure if this is correct) books, and it just seems daunting. I've heard a lot of bad things about many of the writers too.

Reverent-One
2012-08-10, 04:50 PM
Since they wrote about twenty or thirty books covering the next forty or so years after RotJ. There's a lot of characters introduced in that time.

Basically this. They haven't just been writing one-shots for the past few decades, the universe has advanced, characters have been introduced, undergone change, died, and so on and so forth. When you have something like the Star Wars EU, either the universe becomes static and doesn't allow change, or it does allow change and becomes harder for new people to get into. Still, this sort of thing is what the internet does well, to help newcomers understand things, give suggestions on where to start, what to avoid, ect.

Tyrant
2012-08-11, 12:08 AM
There are a few other books. Deceived (http://www.amazon.com/Deceived-Star-Wars-Old-Republic/dp/0345511395/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660602&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic), Fatal Alliance (http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Alliance-Star-Wars-Republic/dp/0345511336/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660700&sr=1-4&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic), and Revan (http://www.amazon.com/Revan-Star-Wars-Republic-Vol/dp/0345511344/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660735&sr=1-2&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic). Annihilation (http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-Star-Wars-The-Republic/dp/0345529413/ref=pd_sim_b_53) is due out later this year. Revan is written by the guy who wrote the Bane trilogy and somewhat concludes the story of Revan. It has it's ups and downs. It was decently written, but it's obvious the writer (former writer for Bioware) would've avoided talking about KotoR 2 all together if he could. Deceived follows the main Sith character from the Old Republic MMO trailer where the ship load of Sith plows into the Jedi Temple and the massive battle erupts. I liked it, but I like the other books by Paul S. Kemp (including 2 other SW books) that I have read so maybe it's just me. Fatal Alliance wasn't anything special, but it wasn't horrible either.

I believe Red Harvest (http://www.amazon.com/Red-Harvest-Star-Wars-Schreiber/dp/0345518594/ref=pd_sim_b_9) takes place in the Old Republic era also. Check it out if you want to read the second book involving zombies in Star Wars.

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-11, 08:23 AM
I read Legacy of the Force, and I never understood what was anybody's deal once enough ancillary characters showed up. There's a guy named Horn, some crazy lady named Aleema...or Aleeta...or...I don't care since she just runs around being nutty and generally unhelpful. And Luke got married since I last read any of it. What.

When did Star Wars get so complicated? Is it gonna get better now that George Lucas retired? He did retire, right? I wasn't just dreaming that?

I can't excuse Alema Rar, but in Horn's defence, you just saw him in the wrong books- He shines rather more in the X-Wing series and in I, Jedi (the better take on the Jedi Academy trilogy).

My personal headcanon is mostly written by Zahn, Stackpole and Allston (although I choose to omit their books from series' shared with other authors). Truce at Bakura and Courtship of princess Leia also make the cut (if nothing else X-Wing: Solo Command would be a bit unfulfilling without Courtship to follow).

Velaryon
2012-08-11, 10:41 AM
Does George Lucas actually control the EU? I thought he basically just gave people permission to do stories they want to do.
I've never had any interest in the EU. While I like the movies(even Phantom Menace), everything about the EU just sounds so convoluted and complicated. Add the fact that there upwards of about 300 (not sure if this is correct) books, and it just seems daunting. I've heard a lot of bad things about many of the writers too.

My understanding is that Lucas pretty much ignores the EU. He issues a few declarations, things like "don't put a name to Yoda's species," "don't kill off Han, Luke, or Leia," and "no more Wookiee Jedi" (never understood that one though). Other than that he doesn't even really know what they're up to I think, nor does he probably care as long as they're making him money.

Basically this. They haven't just been writing one-shots for the past few decades, the universe has advanced, characters have been introduced, undergone change, died, and so on and so forth. When you have something like the Star Wars EU, either the universe becomes static and doesn't allow change, or it does allow change and becomes harder for new people to get into. Still, this sort of thing is what the internet does well, to help newcomers understand things, give suggestions on where to start, what to avoid, ect.

Yeah, this is one of the things that makes it hard to get into. The Star Wars EU tries to be consistent with itself and stay in one massive canon (one of the things that drew me to it in the first place, though it's starting to become harder to enjoy as it gets more bloated and the quality goes down a bit). Unfortunately that means it's pretty hard to get into if you're just coming into it now. It doesn't help that the books most people agree are the best starting point are what, 20 years old now?

I can't excuse Alema Rar, but in Horn's defence, you just saw him in the wrong books- He shines rather more in the X-Wing series and in I, Jedi (the better take on the Jedi Academy trilogy).

One of the few redeeming moments of Legacy of the Force for me was when Troy Denning's personal Mary Sue got brutally killed, and not even by a Jedi. Alema Rar has got to be the most annoying non-Mandalorian character in recent memory for me. I'm not sure it was worth a whole series of 9 horrible books just for that moment, but at least it was better than nothing.

Closet_Skeleton
2012-08-12, 02:44 PM
There are a few other books. Deceived (http://www.amazon.com/Deceived-Star-Wars-Old-Republic/dp/0345511395/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660602&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic), Fatal Alliance (http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Alliance-Star-Wars-Republic/dp/0345511336/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660700&sr=1-4&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic), and Revan (http://www.amazon.com/Revan-Star-Wars-Republic-Vol/dp/0345511344/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344660735&sr=1-2&keywords=star+wars+the+old+republic). Annihilation (http://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-Star-Wars-The-Republic/dp/0345529413/ref=pd_sim_b_53) is due out later this year. Revan is written by the guy who wrote the Bane trilogy and somewhat concludes the story of Revan. It has it's ups and downs. It was decently written, but it's obvious the writer (former writer for Bioware) would've avoided talking about KotoR 2 all together if he could. Deceived follows the main Sith character from the Old Republic MMO trailer where the ship load of Sith plows into the Jedi Temple and the massive battle erupts. I liked it, but I like the other books by Paul S. Kemp (including 2 other SW books) that I have read so maybe it's just me. Fatal Alliance wasn't anything special, but it wasn't horrible either.

I believe Red Harvest (http://www.amazon.com/Red-Harvest-Star-Wars-Schreiber/dp/0345518594/ref=pd_sim_b_9) takes place in the Old Republic era also. Check it out if you want to read the second book involving zombies in Star Wars.

Most of the Old Republic Era happened in Video Games and Comics. For a long time they only published novels that followed on from the movies and short stories that were concurrent with the movies, while the comics just did whatever they wanted and tried to avoid stuff that was being done by the novels. Thereby they generally came out more interesting.

Gnoman
2012-08-13, 07:25 PM
"no more Wookiee Jedi" (never understood that one though).

Wookies, even the heroic ones, tend have serious temper issues. Anger is a path to the dark side. Thus, Lucas doesn't want Wookie Jedi.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-13, 09:51 PM
Wookies, even the heroic ones, tend have serious temper issues. Anger is a path to the dark side. Thus, Lucas doesn't want Wookie Jedi.

But imagine how cooool the EU would have been if Darth Wrrrorrshkrr descended upon the galaxy! As smart as Thrawn and as dangerous as...as a Wookie with a Lightsaber and Force Lightning. Seriously Lucas, you shot yourself in the foot there. :smalltongue:

archon_huskie
2012-08-13, 10:07 PM
I started and ended in the New Jedi Order. I was in my late teens. I didn't like it because at no point in the three books did I actually think the heroes were in any real danger or that the villians would have even the slightest of triumph.

HalfTangible
2012-08-13, 10:18 PM
But imagine how cooool the EU would have been if Darth Wrrrorrshkrr descended upon the galaxy! As smart as Thrawn and as dangerous as...as a Wookie with a Lightsaber and Force Lightning. Seriously Lucas, you shot yourself in the foot there. :smalltongue:

Nobody ever said no Wookiee SITH O_O

Hopeless
2012-08-14, 06:32 AM
And then we wouldn't get what I consider the literal best acting scene in the prequels.
Which is a shame because there's still so much writing potential in the SW universe...beneath the crap. Take Kotor 2 for instance.

Regarding the prequel, yes I see your point!

Yes there is so much they could do now if only they could remember Jedi are the exception not the rule!!!
For how many years during the time called the Dark Times why do they always focus on Jedi when there are countless other characters even more interesting and I'd love a series based on Wedge Antilles and his Squad!

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-14, 01:33 PM
Regarding the prequel, yes I see your point!

Yes there is so much they could do now if only they could remember Jedi are the exception not the rule!!!
For how many years during the time called the Dark Times why do they always focus on Jedi when there are countless other characters even more interesting and I'd love a series based on Wedge Antilles and his Squad!

I always liked Wedge from the Rogue Squadron games, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get more action. I suppose they focus on the Jedi so much because...well it ships all those lightsaber toys, right? :smalltongue:

I personally want to see something set in the early Rebellion when people doubted the Force even existed, and it seemed the most hopeless for the fight against the Empire.

Or another Force Unleashed. I'm weak, I know.

Lady Moreta
2012-08-15, 08:16 AM
Now that X-Wing: Mercy Kill is coming out I'm thinking of getting it, even though it takes place after that time period.
Mercy Kill follows the exploits of some of my favorite characters, the Wraith Squadron.

There's... there's a new one?! I think you just made my day :smallbiggrin:

Aaron Allston is writing it though? right?

So my question is how many people are still following the EU?
If you gave up on it, why? And what would make you come back?
And do I have to go back and read any particular books for the new stuff to make sense?

I am not following it at all.. I've not read any of the New Order books (mostly because I found out from other sources what happened in some of them and promptly refused to read any of them at all). Thus far, I've not heard anything good about the books, so I don't regret the decision at all.

The First Kevin J. Anderson trilogy? That was just terrible.

I am curious... why do people seem to have that trilogy so much? I didn't think it was that bad... though to be fair, I was a teenager when I first read it - and I haven't reread that particular series in years - perhaps if I were to read it now, I wouldn't like it as much.

I confess, that was my first thought too... I'm not disappointed that it's not but it is what I was first thinking...

I always liked Wedge from the Rogue Squadron games, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get more action. I suppose they focus on the Jedi so much because...well it ships all those lightsaber toys, right? :smalltongue:

Read the X-Wing series... they are about Wedge and his squad(s).

Rogue Squadron - Michael A. Stackpole
Wedge's Gamble - Michael A. Stackpole
The Krytos Trap - Michael A. Stackpole
The Bacta War - Michael A. Stackpole
Wraith Squadron - Aaron Allston
Iron Fist - Aaron Allston
Solo Command - Aaron Allston
Isard's Revenge - Michael A. Stackpole
Starfighters of Adumar - Aaron Allston

and apparently, this new Mercy Kill one, which Wikipedia is telling me is indeed by Aaron Allston.

Reverent-One
2012-08-15, 10:24 AM
Thus far, I've not heard anything good about the books, so I don't regret the decision at all.

Then you haven't talked to the right people. :smallwink: It's a decent series, not perfect by any means, but if you're a fan of the universe, it can be worth the read. It didn't have a lot of books that made the New York Times Bestsellers list for nothing. And I believe it was TheForce.net forums that did a Top 100 EU moments poll, and 4 out of the top 5 were from New Jedi Order, which a few more in the top 10 and scattered throughout the rest of the list.

lightningcat
2012-08-15, 12:27 PM
The NJO had some good moments, but an equal amount of face-palm moments. It should have been a handing off the torch to the next generation, but it wasn't. And that is really my biggest problem with it.

Velaryon
2012-08-16, 01:20 AM
I started and ended in the New Jedi Order. I was in my late teens. I didn't like it because at no point in the three books did I actually think the heroes were in any real danger or that the villians would have even the slightest of triumph.

Which is odd, because the NJO is one of the few series where important characters do die, and the bad guys do score major successes.

The NJO had some good moments, but an equal amount of face-palm moments. It should have been a handing off the torch to the next generation, but it wasn't. And that is really my biggest problem with it.

Agreed. Somehow despite the New Jedi Order books having wrapped up nine years ago, all the books coming out in that era still focus on Luke, Han, and Leia for the most part. It really is time to retire the OT heroes and move the universe along with new heroes. There are decades' worth of time where stories with the OT characters can still be told, so there's really no need to have the senior citizens' brigade save the galaxy for the 100,005th time.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-16, 02:15 AM
Agreed. Somehow despite the New Jedi Order books having wrapped up nine years ago, all the books coming out in that era still focus on Luke, Han, and Leia for the most part. It really is time to retire the OT heroes and move the universe along with new heroes. There are decades' worth of time where stories with the OT characters can still be told, so there's really no need to have the senior citizens' brigade save the galaxy for the 100,005th time.

Well, there was that comic series set 100 years in the future. R2 was there, if I remember Wiki correctly. And Vader, Luke and Mara showed up as Force Ghosts at one point.

Anyone read that one? How was it? I was genuinely curious to read it.

Lady Moreta
2012-08-16, 02:22 AM
Then you haven't talked to the right people. :smallwink: It's a decent series, not perfect by any means, but if you're a fan of the universe, it can be worth the read.

Clearly not :smallsmile: I'd be interested in reading them if it wasn't so hard to work out the order they go in. I can't find anything that puts them in order and I refuse to read books out of order.

Well, there was that comic series set 100 years in the future. R2 was there, if I remember Wiki correctly. And Vader, Luke and Mara showed up as Force Ghosts at one point.

Oooh, that'd be interesting to read....

Triscuitable
2012-08-16, 02:34 AM
I read very little of the EU. However, I do really enjoy The Old Republic novels, as well as Death Troopers and Red Harvest. Death Troopers especially, considering how gritty it is in comparison. But Red Harvest?

Zombie.
Sith.

Reverent-One
2012-08-16, 07:41 AM
Clearly not :smallsmile: I'd be interested in reading them if it wasn't so hard to work out the order they go in. I can't find anything that puts them in order and I refuse to read books out of order.

This looks accurate to me. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_Jedi_Order#Entries) Also, any new Star Wars books nowadays have a timeline of all the books in the first few pages, taking a look at any of the post-NJO series should let you confirm the order of the NJO books.

The Legacy series? I haven't read it, but have heard primarily good things about it.

Gnoman
2012-08-16, 04:00 PM

The list here is accurate.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewJediOrder

Lady Moreta
2012-08-16, 10:03 PM
The list here is accurate.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewJediOrder

Off to the library for me!

hamishspence
2012-08-24, 06:10 AM
Now I've read it- I thought it was good. Very much a Wraith Squadron book- no Jedi, no Sith (one Force-Sensitive Wraith).

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-24, 04:15 PM
Now I've read it- I thought it was good. Very much a Wraith Squadron book- no Jedi, no Sith (one Force-Sensitive Wraith).

This member of the Quad-linked Militant Pacifists agrees with you:smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2012-08-24, 04:22 PM
Heh. Allston can be relied on to supply funny moments. Not quite as many as Starfighters of Adumar, but still plenty.

Reverent-One
2012-08-24, 04:27 PM
Heh. Allston can be relied on to supply funny moments. Not quite as many as Starfighters of Adumar, but still plenty.

OMG*, the memories!

"What's that burning ball up in the sky?"
"The sun, Wedge."
"Go up and shoot it down for me."

*I do not normally talk like this, but this is a special occasion

Mercenary Pen
2012-08-25, 05:27 AM

The book that sticks out to me the most for funny moments was Solo Command personally, particularly with Wedge's "mutiny".