PDA

View Full Version : So... im reading fanfiction. And,

Traab
2012-08-06, 08:43 PM
I think some authors get a little bit carried away. The story I am currently reading, (naruto btw) has 1,262,000+ words in it. As a point of reference? The entire 7 book harry potter series? Total of 1,080,000+ words. Thats right, there would have to be an 8th harry potter book just to approach the word count of this one story. Longest harry potter story I have read is 883k words. basically being longer than the first 6 books or so. And I doubt thats the largest one around.

So, any other fanfic fans out there? Whats the longest story you have read so far? Any subject, any genre.

DiscipleofBob
2012-08-06, 08:49 PM
What's that? Fanfiction? Where?

*wags tail excitedly*

I haven't read much long fanfiction. The ones I'm reading now are still being written. If I ever actually finish it, my One Piece fic altogether will probably be about a million words (100,000 words per arc, 10-11 arcs.)

I'm really looking for some good original character stuff. Stuff that uses the same setting, but with new original characters.

Maxios
2012-08-06, 08:49 PM
Here is some of the weird crap I've read:

Red Dead Redemption/MLP Crossover: Bill Williams shows up in whateverthesettingis and through the power of friendship, turns into a nice guy! Disliked it. 2/10

Watchmen/Batman: Rorsarch shows up in Gotham City, fights crime, and runs into Batman. The writer nailed Rorsarch, but didn't write Batman very well. Batman came off more as a powerless Spider-Man style guy then the serious guy he normally is. 7/10

Watchmen/X-Men Evolution: Rorsarch somehow survived getting gibbed and winds up in Bayville. Bad stuff ensues as Rorsarch decides that the Brotherhood are evil, and evil must be punished. The author stopped working on it right when it was getting really good, ending with a cliffhanger. 9/10

Spider-Man/X-Men: Peter Parker was born a mutant and is set to Xavier's Academy. I wrote this. I did well on some parts, like a fight scene with Shocker and a dream sequence, but I think I was really bad at the rest. 3/10.

I'd provide a link to the last one, but I'm afraid that if I do, you guys will no longer respect my talents as a writer. Seek it out if you must, it's called Spider X Book One.

Traab
2012-08-06, 10:25 PM
So far my main fanfics are naruto, harry potter, buffy the vampire slayer, and im just starting into dc. Its strange, but i enjoy reading the crossovers so much that they get me into the main fics of that world like nothing else. If you like naruto and you like the marvel world, read No Reading. Its got naruto, its got deadpool, its got M day and the civil war, and it has naruto beating up all sorts of people and getting his arse kicked by luke cage! If you like the webcomic Girl Genius , read Spark of Genius. Its another "Xander wears a costume" fic from btvs, but it kicks ASS! 90% of it is spent in the dc comics universe and boy howdy does xander ever have the spark!

As for the main subject, I have always had a preference for 100k+ stories. When it comes time to do a pairing search, I start off at the 100k mark and only work my way lower to about 40k, as I honestly dont believe a decent length story is worth reading if the author hasnt at least gotten past 40k words yet. I HATE waiting on updates to great stories! Though I do have a few solid one shots that work out, they mostly feel like teasers and make me wish the author had expanded on the idea. An author by the name of Obsidian Dreamer has the most epic one shot story ideas ever, and a really nice naruto fic called Mouse of Konoha. The collection of one shots is Win Some, Lose Some.

Xondoure
2012-08-06, 10:48 PM
Here is some of the weird crap I've read:

Red Dead Redemption/MLP Crossover: Bill Williams shows up in whateverthesettingis and through the power of friendship, turns into a nice guy! Disliked it. 2/10

Watchmen/Batman: Rorsarch shows up in Gotham City, fights crime, and runs into Batman. The writer nailed Rorsarch, but didn't write Batman very well. Batman came off more as a powerless Spider-Man style guy then the serious guy he normally is. 7/10

Watchmen/X-Men Evolution: Rorsarch somehow and winds up in Bayville. Bad stuff ensues as Rorsarch decides that the Brotherhood are evil, and evil must be punished. The author stopped working on it right when it was getting really good, ending with a cliffhanger. 9/10

Spider-Man/X-Men: Peter Parker was born a mutant and is set to Xavier's Academy. I wrote this. I did well on some parts, like a fight scene with Shocker and a dream sequence, but I think I was really bad at the rest. 3/10.

I'd provide a link to the last one, but I'm afraid that if I do, you guys will no longer respect my talents as a writer. Seek it out if you must, it's called Spider X Book One.

The one you wrote raised a thought. I then proceeded to scroll through the entire marvel multiverse to see if I had officially been beaten to it. Turns out that I haven't which is strange.

Anyways, I now want to see a Marvel U where every body with superpowers is a mutant (from Iron Man, to Thor, to the Fantastic Four.)

otakuryoga
2012-08-06, 11:03 PM
i do believe Fallout:Equestria beats that word count
plus its available in e book...audio book..and recently got published in hardcover
if it doesnt do so by itself you can add in the various side stories(Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons is longer than the original i believe) and absolutely blow that away

from what i hear its pretty damn good...i just dont have the time to start on a story that long atm

erikun
2012-08-06, 11:05 PM
I am currently on a MLP kick. I've read some Sailor Moon as well, and looked at a few of the more infamous ones (My Immortal, My Inner Life).

For Sailor Moon, the amount of fanfiction I've been exposed to has been very limited. I think I've read stories from less than five authors. There just wasn't that much available back in 1998, or at least I didn't find it at the time. Nothing really impressive, although some of them have disappeared from the internet by now.

For MLP, I tend towards the shorter stories. The problem is that there are a lot of "just okay" stories, and you can easily get six chapters in before realizing that the whole experience is just boring and uninteresting. There have been 15+ chapter stories I've just glanced at and avoided without even reading anything. Plus, the ones that are more interesting to read tend to be the shorter ones anyways; a lot of really long stories are trying to pull a Lord of the Rings, or copy success from one of the longer existing MLP fanfics.

Tavar
2012-08-06, 11:08 PM
Crossovers? Where!

Hmm...as for long fics....

Nobody Dies(596,438), Hammered Down (528,176), Dreaming of Sunshing ( 268,469), Knives in the Dark (138,836), The Gentleman of Weapons (118,863), One Hundred Days (395,571), Uninvited Guests (138,240), The Hill of Swords (356,642), and In Flight (525,800).

Mostly though it's smaller stories: no reason to discount short stories or novella's, imo.

Some odd crossovers(Avatar the Last Airbender/Stargate, and it's good). Two! good Buffy/Bleach ones, and more.

Heck, I've even found a good Self Instert. Yes, it exists, and it's pretty long too.

Cespenar
2012-08-07, 12:40 AM
The only fanfiction I may have read in earnest (probably 10 years ago) should be Pokemon Master, which clocked over some 200k words. It was a fairly good one as well, surprisingly.

Serpentine
2012-08-07, 12:45 AM
I don't really read fanfiction all that much. I read a friend of mine's unfinished erotic X-Men fic (the blue fur goes all the way down :smallwink:). The video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs) for that Half Life 2 fanfic is amazing (THE PANTS WERE DEAD).
I have read some of our own Kaytara's Good Omens fanfiction. It's really good, and actually makes me wanna read the book.

thubby
2012-08-07, 12:49 AM
as anyone from ponythread will tell you, i read ravenously.

Anarion
2012-08-07, 12:54 AM
The "Rainbow Dash Presents" readings of really awful pony fanfics done humorously are amazing. I highly recommend them.

Pre-pony, I can't say that I read too many fanfics, although I've always enjoyed novella and short story style books.

Edit: By the way, please forgive all the ponies coming out of the woodwork for this one. You have to remember two things. One, we're all frequent posters here anyway. Two, I think MLP fanfic was the first fanfic ever for many many people.

Maxios
2012-08-07, 12:58 AM
I don't really read fanfiction all that much. I read a friend of mine's unfinished erotic X-Men fic (the blue fur goes all the way down :smallwink:). The video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs) for that Half Life 2 fanfic is amazing (THE PANTS WERE DEAD).
I have read some of our own Kaytara's Good Omens fanfiction. It's really good, and actually makes me wanna read the book.

Great, now I'm going to have nightmares of a naked Beast :smalleek:

MLai
2012-08-07, 01:17 AM
Two, I think MLP fanfic was the first fanfic ever for many many people.
Really? Why is that? Seems unusual.
AFAIC, fanfics started at about the same time as webcomics, i.e. early on in the life of the internet. Highly likely pioneers include Star Wars fanfics, Star Trek fanfics, Super Mario fanfics, Sailor Moon fanfics etc (I'm guessing)... Why would MyLilPony specifically be the first for many ppl here?

(I couldn't figure out what MLP meant until someone said ponies.)

Eakin
2012-08-07, 01:31 AM
I read some random video game fanfics in the past, but I've read about 3.5 million words worth of pony fan fiction according to fimfiction. I've also been meaning to read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality when I get a chance, but really if you're embroiled in the brony community you'll get funneled towards fan fiction sooner or later.

Serpentine
2012-08-07, 01:33 AM
Great, now I'm going to have nightmares of a naked Beast :smalleek:Oh, it wasn't about him.

Tergon
2012-08-07, 01:35 AM
Chicks dig the fuzzy dude.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-07, 01:41 AM
AFAIC, fanfics started at about the same time as webcomics, i.e. early on in the life of the internet. Highly likely pioneers include Star Wars fanfics, Star Trek fanfics, Super Mario fanfics, Sailor Moon fanfics etc (I'm guessing)... Why would MyLilPony specifically be the first for many ppl here?

Like has been said if you interact frequently with a lot of bronies then you will be funneled to MLP fanfics they enjoy. Other fandoms don't seem to do that as much being content to talk more about the actual content from the source material.

Lord Raziere
2012-08-07, 01:52 AM
ooooohh gods above.

I just realized that I've read a lot of fan fiction.

and that I can't remember them all. but they are weird. delightfully, fantastically weird. I love weird stuff.

thubby
2012-08-07, 01:53 AM

i think it's because of how connected bronydom is. there are a gazillion places to see starwars stuff, but almost all brony communities draw on EQD, FiMFiction, and poni/derpibooru. so when you look for good fiction you can find the best in the entire fandom, not just what one community produces.
or at least that's been my experience. i fell out of love with fanfiction a while ago, but mlp brought me back with it's sheer volume of quality writers.

but lets not make this more pony than it already has to be and get back to the fanfiction.

Starwulf
2012-08-07, 02:05 AM
I think some authors get a little bit carried away. The story I am currently reading, (naruto btw) has 1,262,000+ words in it. As a point of reference? The entire 7 book harry potter series? Total of 1,080,000+ words. Thats right, there would have to be an 8th harry potter book just to approach the word count of this one story. Longest harry potter story I have read is 883k words. basically being longer than the first 6 books or so. And I doubt thats the largest one around.

So, any other fanfic fans out there? Whats the longest story you have read so far? Any subject, any genre.

Sadly, my favorite fanfics were written by a guy called "Jeffrey "One-Shot" Wong". His fanfic centered around Ranma from Ranma 1/2, but quickly incorporated multiple characters from other animes, and even eventually the X-Men universe. Was my favorite fan-fics of all time, and I have no doubt that his works probably matched the one you're referencing(Not all in on though, but all together it was probably triple that). I say sadly because I am unable to find the series anymore, as his site was taken down, and no-one seems to have it anywhere else. It was called the "Just Wont Die" series. erk, now I'm craving reading it again :-(

Balmas
2012-08-07, 02:29 AM
i do believe Fallout:Equestria beats that word count
plus its available in e book...audio book..and recently got published in hardcover
if it doesnt do so by itself you can add in the various side stories(Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons is longer than the original i believe) and absolutely blow that away

from what i hear its pretty damn good...i just dont have the time to start on a story that long atm

I can testify to this. I am a voracious reader, especially of fanfics. Google tells me that Fallout: Equestria itself comes in at 484,000 words. For comparison, an average paperback comes in a 100K. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is 473,000.

I've been reading this story every spare minute for about a week now, and I've only just now reached the half-way point. It is one of, if not the best, grimdark fanfiction. Be warned: it's violent, has profanity, and certain side stories contain sexual content. Still great, though.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-08-07, 04:32 AM
AFAIC, fanfics started at about the same time as webcomics, i.e. early on in the life of the internet.

Fan Fiction pre-dates the world wide web by quite a long way. There was a lot of Fan Fiction in the early fanzines, there were (and still are) Fan Fiction newsgroups and I believe there were simillar things back in the Victorian era (albiet with a more limited distribution...)

The massive spread of fan fiction today is, however, undoubtedly down to the internet.

MLai
2012-08-07, 05:10 AM
Fallout Equestria... wait, MLP in Fallout?
WTF.
A longer-than-LOTR fanfic about MLP, in Fallout?! Whatswrongwityouppl. :smallconfused:

thubby
2012-08-07, 05:13 AM
Fallout Equestria... wait, MLP in Fallout?
WTF.
A longer-than-LOTR fanfic about MLP, in Fallout?! Whatswrongwityouppl. :smallconfused:

what isn't is a shorter answer.

Eldan
2012-08-07, 05:21 AM
I'm not familiar with most Anime/Manga, most American TV shows, or pretty much any American comic character that wasn't featured in a movie in the last five years, so I often find it rather difficult to actualy find any fanfiction that features characters I know. And what I find is often pretty bad.

That said, there are a few I have enjoyed.

Rogerd
2012-08-07, 06:12 AM
Do not read fanfiction on ff.net, most of it is total dross and of extremely low, or poor calibre. If you want good fanfiction go to:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/forums/creative-writing.18/

Most of the stuff is of a higher calibre, and reviewers will generally tell the author, exactly what they think and how to improve it.

Aotrs Commander
2012-08-07, 06:30 AM
I have been reading a lot of fanfic over the last few years... It's free, and most importantly, allows me to read new things without having to buy an endless stream of books I then have to store...!

Mostly I read Naruto, Harry Potter and now MLP, with a bit of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha to boot; the former three are all pretty big fandoms (the first two are by far and away the largest on fanfic.net). This means the signal-to-noise ration is somewhat better. Though in the cases of Naruto and HP, I tend to constrian looking only at 10k plus fics (and then seeing if the author has done anything else.) That at least mititaes some of the tripe, and all the half-fics started with one or two chapters that never go anywhere. (The price of loosing some of the shorter, better one-shots was fair trade off in that case, and you can often pick them up from the authors you're reading, or even their favourites.)

Sadly, in the case of Naruto, the overall qualitiy of writing has gone down in the last year or two, and only a handful of my preferred writer have moved to other generas (i.e. pony...!) The rest just appeared to have moved on in life, and without any (skilled) new blood to take their place.

Currently, though, as I'm well into the pony fix, I'm using mainly Fimfiction and EQD as my sources (the latter has fairly stiff quality control); fanfic is of a more variable quality. (Also, I have to say, after ten years of using the site - I started on Pokemon fics, back in the day - I'm not enamoured of the recent style changes to the front end, personally.)

There's been some grand stuff, though, through the years.

Of course, the usual disappointment is that a fair chunk of the best stuff is done by authors that never finish or lose interest, while the mediocre stuff carries on to completion.

I think some of the length issues (if you want to complain about there being stories that are too long!) is due to the internet format. Without printing or selling costs, there's no need to be as harsh with editing (self or otherwise), which is, I would guess, the hard part of professional writing. (In a similar manner to how webcomics have the infinite canvas effect.)

My own contributions run to one Adam West-style Naruto parody and a brief Pokedex over the course of ten years. (Plus a few umpteen hundred words on my headcanon on ME£'s ending which there is a remote possibility I might finish one day; though with the ending DLC finally out and completed, I'm not sure I can work up the enthusiasm. Trouble is, I have lots of ideas of snippets of things, but I can never get enough - or work-up enough energy to actually write the down. The day they have thought-to-text interface is the day my writing will prolifierate!)

Traab
2012-08-07, 06:41 AM
Do not read fanfiction on ff.net, most of it is total dross and of extremely low, or poor calibre. If you want good fanfiction go to:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/forums/creative-writing.18/

Most of the stuff is of a higher calibre, and reviewers will generally tell the author, exactly what they think and how to improve it.

Meh, ive been a member of ff.net for like 6 years now. I have found hundreds of stories worth reading and rereading. Yeah there is a lot of crap, but that search function is freaking awesome. Its not perfect, but I like it better than say, hpfanficarchive.com. That one there has a really crappy search function. You almost have to know the story and author before you ever start looking. Blind searches stink. Though I have to admit, it is hard to wade hip deep in yaoi searching for a decent ff.net story sometimes. People are disturbingly obsessed with naru/sasuke stories. Or xander/spike

Tavar
2012-08-07, 11:31 AM
Spacebattles does have another good feature: in the index section, there are many rec threads, including a compilation thread, that only lists recs, organized by fandom.

How I've found several good works.

Eakin
2012-08-07, 11:42 AM
Pre-Internet franchises attracted their own fan-generated content. The entire Star Wars EU, for example, is kind of the same thing but with stricter quality controls than a website, obviously, and not as much out there weird stuff

Whiffet
2012-08-07, 04:55 PM
On ff.net: yeah, there's a TON of awful stuff there, but it's worth digging through it to find the gems.

I seem to remember saying this on a fanfiction thread here before: Pokťmon Mystery Dungeon: Silver Resistance (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4298303/1/Pokemon_Mystery_Dungeon_Silver_Resistance) is a great story with an original plot (unlike many PMD fics). It also rarely updates now. It's last update was actually pretty recent though, unlike the other time I brought it up on these forums. It had been something around 10 months that time. Oddly enough, one day after I said I thought it was dead back then... it updated.

Kitten Champion
2012-08-07, 05:27 PM
Fanfiction is an arena of the written word I'm hesitant to march blindly into, and I'm a bibliophile who'll read instruction manuals to pass time.

I have read several fan authors' narratives created around settings and themes established by H. P Lovecraft, H.G. Wells, and Robert E. Howard and some others to remarkable success. I just find when they use the canon characters in the source material there's a strong chance for dissonance or outright iconoclasm.

Strife Warzeal
2012-08-07, 05:53 PM
Between Fallout Equestria and Project Horizons making up the core canon of the stories, That's approximately 1 million words read.
The based on the math I did based upon 502fiction FIMFiction I've read a million more words based on that universe (spread between about 5 stories) and that's not including the reading of stories that are only within GoogleDocs, as that would take to much effort to find the proper word count.

Also according to fimfiction, I've read at least 3million other words in various stories in the ~40 weeks I've been signed up to it. Once again, this isn't counting stories I've read from other sources like GoogleDocs or Fanfiction.net etc.

Rake21
2012-08-07, 07:01 PM
I'll suggest two series.

If you like Dragon Ball, check out Raditz Returns and it's two sequels. The writer is actually pretty damn good, nailing the personalities of the main cast and making Raditz fit. No one's over powered, everyone gets a moment to shine (even Krillen and Gohan), and the power increase we get from Raditz throughout the stories is a logical, gradual increase (And he never reaches Super Sayian) All in all, the 3 stories are all pretty good, and I highly recomend them.

Secondly, NGE: Nobody Dies. Basically, if Evangelion met FLCL and Asura's Wrath. It's alot of fun.

Maxios
2012-08-07, 07:41 PM
So, I've realized some of you foolish mortals may be tempted to try to track down that fanfic I wrote that I mentioned before. Here's a summary for those of you interested, to prevent you from finding it. The actual plot was pretty good, the execution...not so much:

Plot Summary
Peter Parker is born a mutant, and is sent to Xavier's Institute. He arrives late at night, and upon entering the building runs into Kitty Pryde. She shows him to his room, where he discovers he is room-mates with Samuel Gutherie and Piotr Rasputin.
Over the course of the next few days, Peter has prophetic dreams of him fighting supervillains (in the second "book", which I stopped working on a few chapters through, it was going to be revealed that he was actually dreaming of events from the main marvel universe). He has an encounter with Eddie Brock, a bully, whose mutant power is regarded by all the other students as useless.
On the weekend, the school takes a field-trip to the park for a festival there. Peter brings a costume (the classic red and blue Spider-Man costume) he created the year before to enter a costume contest at the park. At the festival, after putting on the costume, Peter hears of a bank robbery by a man calling himself the Shocker. He sneaks away and foils the robbery, and tells the police his name is the Spider-Man (a nickname jokingly given to him by Sam).
Peter sneaks back to the costume contest. Later that night, back at Xavier's, he tells Sam and Piotr about his foiling of the bank robbery. Kitty overhears them, and begins in on his secret. A few days later, Peter has a dream in which he is in the middle of a jungle talking to a giant spider. The spider tells him he has a great destiny ahead of him, and the journey to it will be filled with danger.
Peter awakens to find the school is under attack by a group of mutant haters from a nearby town, and helps protect the young kids and fend the attackers off; showing great heroism in the process. Professor Xaver is informed of Peter's heroism, and is invited a place in the Young X-Men (a secret team consisting of young mutants with the potential to become great heroes).
Peter discovers the members of the team are Piotr, Kitty, Hellion, and Magma (note that I use the last two's codenames because I have forgotten their actual names).
The team goes on a mission a couple days later to stop the Rhino's rampage in New York City. The battle against the Rhino was extremely hard, but at the end of the team overcomes it (though Peter is knocked at the end of the fight, cracking several ribs in the process). Peter is treated by Beast, and sits out on the next few missions (much to his annoyance).
A few weeks later, Peter goes to his Aunt May's to help her move furniture on a Saturday. He spends the day with her, and the night fighting crime in the city. The Kingpin sends his top assassin, X-23, to "deal" with Peter. Peter and X-23 had met each other before a few years prior (In this fanfic, Uncle Ben was an activist for Mutant Rights and X-23 was sent to kill him, but ultimately fails in her pursuit). Peter loses the battle, is stabbed in the gut, and falls off a five story building into a garbage bin.
The next morning, he is awoken by a passing police officer. Peter lies about his injuries, and using all of his willpower webswings back to Xavier's, where he passes out at the front door (but only after ringing on the door bell). He is treated by Beast, again, and the "book" ends with him recuperating from his injuries.
The "book" ends with an epilogue about Norman Osborn, and his interest in having a special serum created by his scientists tested on him.

The "second" book begins with Norman's descent into madness, Peter having nightmares of the Green Goblin, and Monet St. Croix joining the team. This book, if I had continued it, would have contained the Green Goblin's first real appearance, the start of a romance sub-plot between Peter and Kitty, and Sam finding out both of his room-mates had been lying to him for months.

Plots that would have appeared in later books: Peter gaining the Symbiote, Eddie Brock turning into Venom, the team discovering a cloning factory in South America where a mysterious benefactor has been creating clones of mutants to form an army, Peter seemingly being killed in an explosion, Ben Reily showing up at the mansion, Peter returning, Ben joining the institute, Sam joining the Young X-Men, X-23 joining the X-Men, an adaption of Web of Shadows, and the killing of Ben by the Green Goblin.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-07, 08:31 PM
An Entry with a Bang! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/AnEntryWithABang) was a lot of fun, though admittedly I know fairly little about the Battletech 'verse.
Most of the time it kept a pretty consistent tone for a round-robin story, though there was some exceptions.

TheEmerged
2012-08-07, 08:36 PM
Shoot, once upon a time there were practically entire sections of bookstores dedicated to Star Trek fan fiction :smallcool: The fact that they were published and sold for money doesn't change what they were.

Nekura
2012-08-07, 10:15 PM
Sadly, my favorite fanfics were written by a guy called "Jeffrey "One-Shot" Wong". His fanfic centered around Ranma from Ranma 1/2, but quickly incorporated multiple characters from other animes, and even eventually the X-Men universe. Was my favorite fan-fics of all time, and I have no doubt that his works probably matched the one you're referencing(Not all in on though, but all together it was probably triple that). I say sadly because I am unable to find the series anymore, as his site was taken down, and no-one seems to have it anywhere else. It was called the "Just Wont Die" series. erk, now I'm craving reading it again :-(

That fanfic author sound familiar but I don't remember if I liked his work or not. A lot of good fanfics got lost because the geocities or anglefire site they were on closed down. Even the old achieve sites are nothing but a large pile of broken links. That is part of why I hate FFnet for deleting so many stories after they got rid of the MA rating. There are so many authors who don't write anymore so when their sites close down and ffnet takes a story down after changing the policy the story is lost for good.

I have read a lot of long fanfiction is there an easy way to find out how many words it is if it doesnít list it?

Ravens_cry
2012-08-07, 11:06 PM
I have read a lot of long fanfiction is there an easy way to find out how many words it is if it doesnít list it?
A word processor as basic as Jarte will tell you if you copy and paste the text into it.

JDMSJR
2012-08-08, 12:17 AM
If you like the webcomic Girl Genius , read Spark of Insanity. Its another "Xander wears a costume" fic from btvs, but it kicks ASS! 90% of it is spent in the dc comics universe and boy howdy does xander ever have the spark!

I think it's called A Spark of Genius and it is good!

Nekura
2012-08-08, 12:24 AM
A word processor as basic as Jarte will tell you if you copy and paste the text into it.

Thanks. I was hoping for a lazier solution though. I didnít want to track down stories I remembered being long, copy and past each chapter, then find out it wasnít anywhere near as long as I remembered it.

I have read and liked a few that topped the 1,000,000 mark but none that blow the size of the OP story away. I donít think they get carried away though. I remembering reaching the end of some of those and whishing there was more. I supposed they could break it up into separate stories but in the case of stories about anime like Naruto itís a long series and I am not sure were they would break it up. I have read many that start before the first Naruto part did, add more material about what happened in the time skip, have all of shippuden as well as a conclusion and epilog so it has they potential to be very long.

Lord Seth
2012-08-08, 02:21 AM
This discussion of long fan fiction makes me wonder what the longest story--fan fiction or otherwise--is. Anyone have any idea?

The Wheel of Time comes to mind as an incredibly long story (tops 4 million words if we count Brandon Sanderon's estimation of the length of the upcoming book), but there's probably something even longer I'm missing.

Serpentine
2012-08-08, 02:25 AM
I imagine One Thousand And One Nights would be up there.

edit: Apparently the individual novel with the highest word count (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_novels) is In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust at ~1,200,000 words.

SaintRidley
2012-08-08, 02:32 AM
Fan Fiction pre-dates the world wide web by quite a long way. There was a lot of Fan Fiction in the early fanzines, there were (and still are) Fan Fiction newsgroups and I believe there were simillar things back in the Victorian era (albiet with a more limited distribution...)

The massive spread of fan fiction today is, however, undoubtedly down to the internet.

Fanfiction even predates that - people were writing, and publishing their own versions of things like Don Quixote and additional Canterbury Tales back when those were new. The apocryphal second Don Quixote actually really annoyed Cervantes, so he set the beginning of his sequel extremely close to the end of the original, and then had Quixote

die at the end, so that nobody could dare try to publish another Don Quixote story.

Traab
2012-08-08, 06:32 AM
I think it's called A Spark of Genius and it is good!

Oh geez, oops! :smallredface: Ill go fix it.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-08-08, 06:35 AM
Fanfiction even predates that - people were writing, and publishing their own versions of things like Don Quixote and additional Canterbury Tales back when those were new. The apocryphal second Don Quixote actually really annoyed Cervantes, so he set the beginning of his sequel extremely close to the end of the original, and then had Quixote ...

There is, indeed, nothing new under the sun... Actually, I knew about Don Quixote, but didn't know about Canterbury Tales - fortunately I didn't have to study it at school.

The same thing happened with a lot of legends. According to a collegue of mine, the Robin Hood and Maid Marion characters were originally from seperate stories, until someone decided to do a crossover...

Traab
2012-08-08, 07:13 AM
There is, indeed, nothing new under the sun... Actually, I knew about Don Quixote, but didn't know about Canterbury Tales - fortunately I didn't have to study it at school.

The same thing happened with a lot of legends. According to a collegue of mine, the Robin Hood and Maid Marion characters were originally from seperate stories, until someone decided to do a crossover...

Could the Illiad be considered a crossover then? Since so many of the characters were already established big names back in the day. Or did a lot of those big names only become big after the story was written?

Tergon
2012-08-08, 07:53 AM
Hell, depending on your definition of Fanfiction it goes way earlier than that. Probably after the first neanderthal told the story of Og and the Fire Spirit, it was less than a week before someone else told the story of Og and the Moon Spirit.

Human nature makes us great at two things: lying and stealing. Fanfiction is just telling a story with someone else's characters, the perfect combination of both.

Eldan
2012-08-08, 07:56 AM
Could the Illiad be considered a crossover then? Since so many of the characters were already established big names back in the day. Or did a lot of those big names only become big after the story was written?

Does it count as one when Heracles joins the Argonauts?

Manga Shoggoth
2012-08-08, 08:14 AM

Alas, my ignorance on the subject of the Illiad exceeds my ignorance of Chaucer. It's a good idea, though.

Hell, depending on your definition of Fanfiction it goes way earlier than that. Probably after the first neanderthal told the story of Og and the Fire Spirit, it was less than a week before someone else told the story of Og and the Moon Spirit.

Actually, I was originally going to cite the various Flood Myths - if the Legend of Gilgamesh is the oldest written story then Fan Fiction may well be as old as dirt.

Traab
2012-08-08, 08:28 AM
Alas, my ignorance on the subject of the Illiad exceeds my ignorance of Chaucer. It's a good idea, though.

Actually, I was originally going to cite the various Flood Myths - if the Legend of Gilgamesh is the oldest written story then Fan Fiction may well be as old as dirt.

Actually, i dont count that as fanfiction, I count fanfiction as knowingly and openly using other peoples characters to make your own story. Its plagiarism if you claim it as your own work. Ill give a more recent example. Any tolkien fans out there should read The Iron Tower, by Dennis Mckiernan. He has a scene that is directly stolen from the mines of moria in the fellowship with nothing better than a few names changed. For gods sake, the horrifically scary monster even dies on a stone bridge and falls into a bottomless abyss! It is the most sickening example of plagiarism I ever even seen outside of a high school homework assignment. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The entire reason they have to cross this monster infested former dwarven city? Because a tentacle monster in the lake outside the entrance attacked them, and collapsed the mountain over the doorway after they got inside. Yeah.

I like that guys work, dont get me wrong, I have most of his books, and that is the single worst example I have spotted, though the influence is pretty damn blatant. Its just, I cant believe that got past any editors they had on staff.

Rogerd
2012-08-08, 09:24 AM
Meh, ive been a member of ff.net for like 6 years now.

I'm a member too but I stopped posting stories a while ago and it is full of twee morons, hell they even say how good a story is, even if its utter retaded ****e or the author cannot even string a sentence together - which is most of the time.

I have found hundreds of stories worth reading and rereading. Yeah there is a lot of crap, but that search function is freaking awesome.

There is some good stuff but i cannot be bothered anymore to wade through tons of rubbish to find the diamond in the rough. Harry Potter and the Sun Source is a really good fic, despite the Gary Stu implications it does crossover HP and the Destroyer books.

Spacebattles does have another good feature: in the index section, there are many rec threads, including a compilation thread, that only lists recs, organized by fandom.

How I've found several good works.

There are is some good stuff there. Have you read Zcienix stuff? I can recommend several. This is fun: Dalek / Green Lantern (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-dalek-lantern-doctor-who-green-lantern.225074/page-62)

XSGCOM I recall as being 'humanity ****-yeah!' threads, but intrinsically fun, for a while at least.

Couple of mine while I'm at it:

World in Darkness (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-world-in-darkness.187019/#post-5839189). This is a Highlander crossover, some are overt others are more covert.

New Beginnings (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/star-trek-new-beginnings.172959/). This is TNG post Nemesis crossover with nuTrek.

Traab
2012-08-08, 10:43 AM
I'm a member too but I stopped posting stories a while ago and it is full of twee morons, hell they even say how good a story is, even if its utter retaded ****e or the author cannot even string a sentence together - which is most of the time.

There is some good stuff but i cannot be bothered anymore to wade through tons of rubbish to find the diamond in the rough. Harry Potter and the Sun Source is a really good fic, despite the Gary Stu implications it does crossover HP and the Destroyer books.

There are is some good stuff there. Have you read Zcienix stuff? I can recommend several. This is fun: Dalek / Green Lantern (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-dalek-lantern-doctor-who-green-lantern.225074/page-62)

XSGCOM I recall as being 'humanity ****-yeah!' threads, but intrinsically fun, for a while at least.

Couple of mine while I'm at it:

World in Darkness (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-world-in-darkness.187019/#post-5839189). This is a Highlander crossover, some are overt others are more covert.

New Beginnings (http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/star-trek-new-beginnings.172959/). This is TNG post Nemesis crossover with nuTrek.

Sun Source WAS awesome. As for gary stu, sometimes its fun to read that sort of story. The kind of story where you can turn off your brain and just enjoy the eye rollingly over the top overpoweredness of the hero. Like when harry potter not only finds out he is the heir of like 26 ancient families, which gives him near majority rule over britain, he also gets to absorb all their magic so he is one step short of being god, has more money than 75% of england combined, and is suddenly a super genius.

Hell, one of my favorite stories, which is published on ff.net in its porn free version, is called begginning a new path, and has harry becoming an actual honest to goodness god. A sex god, to be precise. Its so over the top that I cant help but find it amusing as he goes through about 50 different tv shows and movies, treating them all as alternate realities, seduces 95% of the hot chicks, and solves all their problems with ease.

That being said, I enjoy the truly epic stories that are well written, dont come off as boring because there is never any real danger, and manage to tell a good story instead of, "The main character is obscenely powerful. He beats up the bad guy and wins. The end."

Starwulf
2012-08-08, 07:47 PM
That fanfic author sound familiar but I don't remember if I liked his work or not. A lot of good fanfics got lost because the geocities or anglefire site they were on closed down. Even the old achieve sites are nothing but a large pile of broken links. That is part of why I hate FFnet for deleting so many stories after they got rid of the MA rating. There are so many authors who don't write anymore so when their sites close down and ffnet takes a story down after changing the policy the story is lost for good.

Actually it was neither angelfire or geocities. It was anime.sobhrach.com/~jeffoneshotwong I do believe(maybe jeffreyoneshotwong). I just wish I could find those stories again, so much fun to read. Plenty of humor, but also plenty of serious moments(the first JWD is plenty serious, the next few get kind of lighthearted, the next few get a bit dark, then after that it's often a mix, until like the last 2-3, at which point it's extremely dark).

Lord Seth
2012-08-09, 12:52 AM
I lost interest in fanfiction.net when they banned script format.

Maugan Ra
2012-08-09, 01:11 AM
Ah, Fanfiction. I always enjoy reading that stuff... I'm mostly on a Bleach obsession at the moment, with a bit of Code Geass on the side. Some of the stories are excellent, some are most distinctly not, and I actually find myself enjoying both.

Actually, in an oddly masochistic way, I almost enjoy the bad fiction more. They can be fascinating looks into the psyches of some frankly odd people... And some of them are almost educational in their 'here is what not to do' natures.

Traab
2012-08-09, 07:44 AM
Want to know where I got my start on fanfiction? Deviantart. I was farting around following random searches looking for pretty pictures when I stumbled across some naruto fanfiction and liked it. I hated that it was so hard to find and limited there, so I asked around and someone pointed me to ff.net, and the rest was history. Since at the time I was far more obsessed with naruto stories, ff.net was the best choice, as I think it probably has more stories on that topic than any other site. Things like harry potter have tons of sites that can put up a decent fight for superiority though.

Nekura
2012-08-09, 03:50 PM
Want to know where I got my start on fanfiction? Deviantart. I was farting around following random searches looking for pretty pictures when I stumbled across some naruto fanfiction and liked it. I hated that it was so hard to find and limited there, so I asked around and someone pointed me to ff.net, and the rest was history. Since at the time I was far more obsessed with naruto stories, ff.net was the best choice, as I think it probably has more stories on that topic than any other site. Things like harry potter have tons of sites that can put up a decent fight for superiority though.

I got my start stumbling across stories on Ranma Ĺ sites. FF.net was the best that had stories for multiple series/shows/books etc being much better then the glitchy mediaminer site. But sometimes the sites that just cater to one specific thing are better.

DiscipleofBob
2012-08-09, 03:54 PM
Anyone got any good recommendations in the Shounen genre? One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

Preferably with original characters in the same setting if possible.

Traab
2012-08-10, 06:19 AM
Once Again, With A Little Extra Help. This is the story that triggered my post. Its an epic 1.2 million words in length, naruto story. In it naruto has lost the final battle against madera and is getting kyuubi yanked out of him. Suddenly this OC by the name of ghost shows up and basically offers to reset things. Naruto accepts and boom, its pre graduation age naruto. There are a set of 5 OCs, totally batspit crazy, insanely powerful, and they dont get directly involved much in the fights, they spend most of their time training everyone, setting up scenarios between the nations, and otherwise arranging events so the future turns out better this time. There is a ton of humor in this fic, TONS. Naruto starts out with knowing sage mode, rasenshuriken, and has about 6 tails worth of kyuubi under control and just gets stronger. But dont worry, everyone else gets way stronger too with ghost teaching them, so it isnt totally unbalanced with god naruto and weakling konoha 12.

Mixt
2012-08-10, 11:07 AM
Two snippets from a FF7 fic.

Specifically, one of those "Time Travel" ones.
Post-Advent Children Cloud goes Anti-Shinra terrorist a few years early, stuff goes boom!

Pretty good read if you ask me.
Here's the link (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7903626/1/Terrorism_Anarchy)

"Strife!"

He jerked upright, the people around him scrambling away so as not to get hit by his sudden rise. A hand immediately rose to his smothered head only to realize it felt smothered due to the visored helmet encasing it.

Helmet?

A quick second look at the people revealed a whole squad of young, Shinra infantry uniforms.

Since when did Reeve let Rufus put WRO recruits in old Shinra uniforms?

"What the hell Strife?" A much taller man in the uniform of a Soldier Second Class pressed through the crowding infantrymen. "Did you think it would be funny to collapse and get up in less than two breaths? Were you practicing a fainting spell for some Loveless rehearsal?"

Everyone stared. No one gave him any kind of hint what the joke was. He glanced around again, looking for perhaps Tuesti with a video camera or Yuffie and Reno ducking around a corner. If he didn't know any better, he'd say he was on the old Shinra army training yard. But that was impossible. He and Sephiroth had made short work of the remnants of the Shinra complex when they fought there.

"Yes, you, Strife! Get off your ass and back in formation!" He spun on his heel and pushed back through the troopers.

The two nearest Shinra impersonators swooped in and hauled him to his feet by his arms. In simple shock, he let them. No one, not even his closest comrades and teammates during the Sephiroth crisis had manhandled him quite like this.

"Hurry it up," the one on his left hissed. "None of us want any more extra laps than we've already had this week."

On sheer instinct, he shifted to fall in line in the middle of the block of troopers. He kept his movements subtle only because he didn't want to give whoever was responsible for this farce the satisfaction of seeing him flustered. He'd faced off against monsters and sadists and evil aliens, in real life and in his head. He could certainly keep his cool with someone trying to convince him he was an infantryman back in the Shinra army.

He fidgeted again, waiting for some kind of instruction, wishing the culprits would have gotten him clothes that fit instead of what he'd probably worn when he actually was an infantryman. He wasn't the tallest of men, a little below average perhaps, but what he lacked in height, he made up for in demonic strength and mental baggage.

But that wasn't the point. The waist was tight on his pants, the belt practically cutting into his bones. The boots would leave blisters on his toes and heels if he had to wear them that tight for long. And though he did prefer formfitting shirts, to keep any material from getting in the way when he swung his sword, the one he had on was a bit ridiculous. If he even tried to wield a sword he'd rip the seams.

A shrill whistle ripped through the air. A memory shoved its way to the surface, though somehow it was Zack's, and he remembered being on the blowing end of the whistle. It meant that the infantry ran. The formation leapt into motion and he kept pace. The Soldier Second Class impersonator didn't immediately start screaming at them so he took the opportunity to get a better idea of where he was. The sooner he figured out the prank, the better. He was going to perhaps cast Toad on the culprit. Toad and Slow and drop them in the middle of downtown Edge to see how many times they got stepped on.

Dozens of infantry impersonator squads littered the practice yard, each with their own bellowing Third or Second Class impersonator. It was a ridiculous waste of resources to reconstruct the area and make all these uniforms for the impersonators. Edge needed those funds. If it turned out to be Reno then he'd hunt down all the remaining Turks and strangle Shinra for not keeping his dogs under control.

They weren't even a third of the way around the yard before half the troopers around him began breathing heavily.

He scowled within his helmet. Something about this situation tickled his memory. He ran along with the troopers but let his attention wander. With the battlefield experience he had, he didn't have problems multitasking.

The set he'd been dumped in was certainly elaborate. It had to be some kind of simulator. The Shinra building, whole and pristine, loomed just over the far wall. Simulator or not, that still meant the lot of troopers around him could be real or fake.

When they swung past another squad, he caught the glow of mako-bright eyes giving a bit of shine despite the sun. That was a twist. Whoever it was really did want to convince him he was a teen back in the Shinra army.

On completing the first lap, everyone around him was breathing heavily. Three more laps and he was getting bored. If he had chosen to prank someone with a scene from their past he would make it more interesting than this.

Another three laps and two puking infantry impersonators later, he was really bored, and getting heavy flashes of familiarity. And he was less convinced that the environment was a simulator the longer it went. He'd never seen a simulator, even the fancy ones in Zack's memories that Shinra used to have, that replicated things like bird crap on the running track and the smell of puke and pillars of pollution from the plate reactors.

But that left him with the theory of an incredibly elaborate set.

Another sharp whistle ripping through the air startled him to a stop.

"Alright grunts," the Soldier bellowed, "head to the armory to check out your weapons for tomorrows, get in whatever practice you think you need, and don't forget to eat. You lot had better hope you get through the Soldier entrance exam tomorrow because its remedial lessons before you're allowed a third try."

His eyed widened behind his visor as a name floated to the forefront of his mind. Second Class Soldier David Brenholt. That one name seemed to open the floodgates and names of the infantrymen around him blossomed within his mind.

With a growing sense of anxiety, he readjusted his assessment of reality to "hallucination". It certainly didn't glow like it did when Aerith or Zack pulled him into visions. However, it didn't have the sharp edges his mako-induced coma hallucinations bore either. He racked his brain trying to figure out if he'd told anyone about this particular day.

The group broke formation and he ambled with the ones headed toward the armory. He felt rather naked without a sword.

A knot formed in the pit of his stomach as he forced himself to consider that this might actually be reality. He'd seen his fair share of spine tingling horrors but the thought that he might be back in Shinra's army unnerved him more than he would ever openly admit. Army life was tough the first time around and didn't think he'd fare much better this time round, though for an entirely different set of reasons. He knew without a doubt that he still had all his mako and Jenova enhancements, not to mention his height, weight, and muscle. That would explain why his clothes fit poorly. Of course he could probably be grateful that he didn't grow much after actually being in the army. But that could possibly be the fault of being trapped in a test tube and experimented on for years.

He shook his head ruefully. If this was real then that would mean Ė

His pocket vibrating interrupted those thoughts. He froze. The PHS in his pocket continued whirring.

He pulled it out slowly, eying the caller ID. Zack.

He took a deep breath and flipped the PHS open. "Strife speaking."

"Whoa, Spiky, what's with the new phone answering technique? I got used to that soft little 'hello'."

He swallowed hard, squeezing his eyes shut as hope flared inside him. He'd know the voice that generally existed only inside his head anywhere.

"Zack," he whispered.

The silence stretched a little too long. "Hey, Cloud, what's going on?" Zack's voice turned serious.

Rapidly recalculating, he decided it best to play along before he could determine what to do. "No, it's nothing Zack. I just finished drill. I'm heading to the armory to pick up a sword for the first of the exams tomorrow."

"Great," Zack piped, all seriousness gone. "I can meet you in the mess afterward."

He cringed. That certainly wouldn't work. His best friend would certainly notice if he was several inches taller with a swordsman's musculature and mako bright blue eyes. "Sorry Zack. I really have to study tonight. I'm not failing the exams this time. I'm just going to grab some rations and eat over my books."

"Aww, that's no fun Spiky. You'll make yourself sick with the stress."

"Please Zack. I just need to study."

He heard his friend blow a raspberry into the PHS and couldn't help the upward twitch of one side of his mouth. "You've got to promise me we'll head out for some fun your first free day after the exams then."

"Only if you don't have a mission."

"You can bet I won't. I can't have myself working too hard now can I? I still haven't taken you down to that church I found yet." Zack's voice took on a softer tone that he'd only heard once in his life. "I know you'll like the people there."

Aerith was here, too. "If they like you, Zack, then they're probably great."

"Aww, Spiky, you're making me blush." Contrarily, the man burst out laughing afterward.

"I'll see you later, Zack."

"Later, Cloud."

He snapped the phone shut and dropped it back in his pocket. Folding his arms, he scowled at the Shinra tower.

Just on the off chance that he had somehow wound up in the past, either Aerith and the Planet were responsible or Sephiroth was. If it was Aerith, she had some explaining to do. If it was the Planet, then Aerith could get the explanation for him. If it was Sephiroth, then he desperately needed to figure out what was going on before the whole world went to hell in a hand basket years earlier than it was supposed to.

That would be the intro.

Tseng was waiting on the airport pad when he jumped out. Kunsel remained close to Vice President Shinra's side, eyes alert. The Turk didn't even wait for prompting before speaking.

"Everything in the reactor has gone quiet. All the troops and my Turks must be unconscious. It's not safe here Vice President. There's no telling where the terrorists are."

Something stirred in him, the overwhelming sensation of presence, and a prickling sensation tingling his skin and making the tiny hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. His eyes turned to the edge of the structure, the edge that would overlook the ocean. His skin tingled at the sight of those three figures, a giant cat, a dark haired man in red, and a black hooded swordsman, arms bare and gloved hands free of weapons. Any of the four hilts of those giant weapons would be easily reached.

"Sure there is," he whispered to the rest and pointed. "The bad guys came to play."

Kunsel and Tseng both moved in front of Shinra, each pointing their guns at the intruders. Zack wasn't sure how much guns would help if these intruders had already taken down the rest of the Turks. But Tseng's secondary weapon was a helicopter with missiles and Kunsel's small broadsword wouldn't be as useful as Zack's Buster Sword. A sword which Zack drew slowly, not wanting to provoke a sudden reaction. But the three intruders didn't move toward their weapons, though he supposed the cat didn't have to ready a headdress to make it accessible.

"What the hell do you want?" Zack shouted across the air pad, finding himself somewhat unnerved by the lack of a declaration of intentions.

No response.

Zack searched the visible features of the swordsman like his life depended on it. Had Cloud's arms been that muscular? Would his profile look like that beneath a hood?

The swordsman slowly reached up and over his head to draw the widest blade in his arsenal. He gave it a quick, exploratory rotation and a spin, like he was testing an unfamiliar weight.

In an instant, the swordsman went from standing casually to charging, moving so quickly his image blurred.

Zack swung his sword to meet the charge and the swordsman made as though to connect their blades when suddenly he was flying through the air over his head. The black hooded man landed behind Shinra and the others, and his blade whipped out lightning quick.

Zack bellowed an attack cry and charged forward but the swordsman already connected and all three, Soldier, Turk, and vice president, flew sideways. The indignant grunts of surprise startled him into hesitation and his eyes widened at his fellows on the ground some distance off to the side. The swordsman had used the flat of his blade to push them out of the way. Tseng looked like he might have broken an arm, from the way he was cradling it in combination with the wavering way he held the gun aimed at his attacker.

A rush of air on Zack's opposite side warned him moments too late that the other two attackers rushed past him to join the swordsman and immediately disappear into the airplane. He jerked to go after them but the swordsman darted into his path. Clearly, the man wouldn't allow him to pursue without a fight.

One shot rang clear through the air. Zack didn't even see the swordsman move but his blade was suddenly a shield between him and Tseng's gun, ricocheting the bullet uselessly into the air. His invisible gaze, however remained on Zack. The swordsman's free hand rose to clasp a second hilt.

The sword he drew was breathtaking. A deep red and black with gold near the hilt. The somewhat triangular shape made the weapon look unwieldy but with the ease the swordsman handled it he knew the blade would sail effortlessly through the air. Also, if the large groves scooped out of the blade edges caught his own beloved Buster Sword, it could be bad. He trusted his own weapon but he couldn't even tell what his opponent's blade was made of. If it was one of the legendary ultimate weapons then he was in a great deal of trouble.

"Zack." Tseng's voice sounded slightly strained.

Zack didn't take his eyes from the swordsman, but used his peripheral vision to note the other three still standing. Tseng seemed slightly dazed, and the vice president's glare was murderous. Kunsel had his sword drawn and stood half in front of the vice president. From the grim set of the Second Class Soldier's mouth, he must have known he probably wouldn't have stood a chance against this swordsman.

"Don't worry about us," Tseng said. "Keep them from stealing the plane."

Zack didn't need any more indication that that. He charged the swordsman. He would take this guy out and get up to the cockpit before the other two could do anything. Such a small guy couldn't possibly stand up to a First Class Soldier, history of downed Shinra troops and Turks or not.

But then the wider blade was back in its sheath and the swordsman gripped the hilt of the second sword and set his whole weight behind the swing to meet Zack's weapon.

The impact rocked Zack so badly he almost dropped the Buster Sword. As it were, he was still thrown backwards through the air and hit the ground hard, rolling several times. He did release the hilt then.

"Gaia," Zack breathed. He lurched to his feet, expecting to have to dodge an attack. But the swordsman remained at his post at the opening of the Gelnika, blade at the ready, ignoring Shinra and the others, merely watching.

Zack grit his teeth. What an insult. The guy wasn't even going to come after him when he was down. He'd just stand there as sentinel until the other two incapacitated the pilots and crew and stole the airplane. Zack darted forward, scooped up the Buster Sword, and fired up his Power Attack materia.

He slammed into the swordsman, magic thrumming through his body. But the swordsman didn't stagger like he was supposed to, he didn't even flinch. In fact, he sent Zack flying across the air pad again, exactly as far as he had the first time, the only difference being that Zack wasn't quite so unprepared so he didn't drop his blade and rolled to his feet for his third charge.

Wielding Vital Slash, he prepared for the shock this time. The swordsman's stance didn't change but at least the power behind the strike meant the man didn't throw him through the air. But if Zack even unconsciously thought withstanding the man's first counter meant he'd won something, he was dismally wrong.

The swordsman's blade blurred along its path, near impossible to follow. It took everything Zack had to keep that glisteningly sharp edge from biting him. He thanked whatever deity made his opponent decide not to even try catching the Buster Sword with its wicked grooves.

A sudden kick to Zack's gut caught him off guard and he flew backward again. Only this time, he was in position to see the swordsman come after him. He could have laughed when the man caught up to him before he hit the ground.

Still too stunned to react, the swordsman had free reign to practically pluck Zack from the air and slam him face down into the ground. Zack's sword arm, still gripping the Buster Sword, was stepped on, the heavy boot digging into his bare arm. Another knee dug into his back, making breathing difficult. His free arm was twisted around behind his back.

Lacking any sort of leverage, Zack grunted in frustration, wriggling around to get a better look at either Shinra and the others or the swordsman. Gloved fingers dug like steel into his wrist. He really couldn't imagine his little friend Cloud with this sort of strength.

His eyes widened as the implications fully set in. This swordsman manhandled a First Class mako enhanced Soldier like it was nothing. He hadn't even used any magic.

Yay power level comparisons.

Starwulf
2012-08-10, 07:05 PM
Once Again, With A Little Extra Help. This is the story that triggered my post. Its an epic 1.2 million words in length, naruto story. In it naruto has lost the final battle against madera and is getting kyuubi yanked out of him. Suddenly this OC by the name of ghost shows up and basically offers to reset things. Naruto accepts and boom, its pre graduation age naruto. There are a set of 5 OCs, totally batspit crazy, insanely powerful, and they dont get directly involved much in the fights, they spend most of their time training everyone, setting up scenarios between the nations, and otherwise arranging events so the future turns out better this time. There is a ton of humor in this fic, TONS. Naruto starts out with knowing sage mode, rasenshuriken, and has about 6 tails worth of kyuubi under control and just gets stronger. But dont worry, everyone else gets way stronger too with ghost teaching them, so it isnt totally unbalanced with god naruto and weakling konoha 12.

:) Thank you for this Fanfic. It's quite interesting, and since I haven't been able to fulfill my Naruto craving since Shippuden went off the air, this will more then adequately suffice ^^. I do have a few issues with the writers style though, especially his annoying habit of referring to people by their hair color or with shikamaru referring to EVERYTHING as "troublesome". LOL. But other then that, it's pretty well written. On Chapter 6 atm.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-10, 07:47 PM
I lost interest in fanfiction.net when they banned script format.
Personally, I find that really annoying to read.
For me it's like the equivalent of talking head comics.
Banning it might be going too far though, as some people obviously like it.

Lord Raziere
2012-08-10, 09:13 PM

Oh yeah, thats the story that you made me think when you mentioned how long it was originallyÖ.and I've read every chapter. all crazy 75 of them.

its worth the read though. while its primarily humorous and the humor is VERY good, if a little surreal, it also is very grounded in reality at times and takes some stuff seriously, sometimes to the point of horror. even the crazily overpowered OC's primarily there for giggles are their own fleshed out characters that have their own problems, mostly because of their crazily overpowered lives.

Starwulf
2012-08-25, 03:54 AM
Soooo.....I wonder how long it's going to take for "Take Two Round Two" comes out... Very much looking forward to it now! Just finished up the first part "Yet Again, with a little extra help". Excellent story, very well written, and the author even eventually got out of some of his more annoying earlier habits, which just made it that much better.

So, in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for good anime fanfic that involves one of the following: Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Ranma 1/2. Non-anime fanfics would be nice for Final Fantasy! Crossovers involving any of the above(or all!) is also desirable. I very much like overpowered stories(like the one I just got done), as long as it's well-written and explained with a viable reason for why the characters are so much more stronger then they normally are!

Traab
2012-08-25, 10:23 AM
Naruto Prince of Thieves. Its a naruto/xmen crossover. Basically, gambit just happens to be wandering through konoha, sees naruto as a kid getting mistreated and takes him back with him. The starting premise is shaky but after that it gets better. naruto comes back as a kickass fighter, able to replicate several xmen abilities like gambits charge cards, nightcrawlers teleports, and a few other things. he kicks ass, takes names, and lands himself a couple girlfriends. Fullmetal Fox. By the same author. This is a naruto/fma crossover. Kyuubi is Ed. Naruto is a kickass ninja and an alchemist with the same abilities as edward elric, among others. Naruto is Sanin level.

hamishspence
2012-08-25, 02:04 PM
I'm reading The Lost Chapters of Invincible- Star Wars one on the Jedi Council forum- first fanfic I've read, in fact. It's more of a "fill in the dangling plot threads" fic than outright changing stuff- and has to work with existing events in the Legacy of the Force novel Invincible.

I thought it was pretty good.

Tavar
2012-08-25, 02:22 PM
To Be King Once More, Maugan_Ra- Bleach, AU post Winter War. What if, after the Winter War, it is not the Soul Reapers that restore Ichigo's powers, but Ichimaru and the surviving Espada?

Exiles, Zephyras-Bleach, total AU. When Aizen is discovered to have been defeated by a group of exiles months after his defection, the Soul Society is understandably uneasy. They begin an investigation which eventually locates twenty years gone deserter Kuchiki Rukia.

Lone Flower Series (Petals Scattered, Petals in the Wind,Lone Flower) Vathara-Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Bleach crossover, fusion/halloween fic.

Breaking the Fall Series (Learning to Breathe, Learning to Cry, Learning to Live), jezaeiri-Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Bleach non-halloween fusion.

How are you regarding dead fics, especially if they got decently far before ending?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-25, 07:20 PM
I love fanfiction, I have read tons of stories, sadly the ones I like the most tend to be left unfinished..

Anyone got any good recommendations in the Shounen genre? One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.

On the One Piece font, there is a pretty good fanfic featuring Kuina ( there is so little information on here, that I consider an OC) in which the fall didn't kill her; but blinded her (she was carrying an oil lamp and burnt her eyes with it), it is called "Though a Bird can't fly, Doesn't mean it never will", the same author also started an AU in which the Strawhats were the Supernova Eleven (all the canon strawhats took another way, Nami for example became a Marine) it was very promising; but it hasn't updated in a long time.

On Bleach there is one named Bleach Memories of Nevermore, in which after a really different ending of the Winter War, Ichigo returns in time to his pre-shinigami days... pretty standard fare for timetravelling fics; but the author is incredibly talented; but alas it is unfinished.

Naruto, I can't recall any good fic at the moment.

Fairy Tail, I have only found good crossovers, one was with Naruto in which he ended up in Fiore and joined Shelter Cat a little after Wendy, I forgot the name and I haven't been able to find it again. The other one is named Link: Mage of Fairy Tail and it is exactly as it sounds, OoT link is sent to fiore by Ganondorf as he is sealed; There he joins Fairy Tale and hilarity ensues, Links and Erza interactions are hilarious and well written in my opinion, sadly it was last updated in February.

Naruto Prince of Thieves. Its a naruto/xmen crossover. Basically, gambit just happens to be wandering through konoha, sees naruto as a kid getting mistreated and takes him back with him. The starting premise is shaky but after that it gets better. naruto comes back as a kickass fighter, able to replicate several xmen abilities like gambits charge cards, nightcrawlers teleports, and a few other things. he kicks ass, takes names, and lands himself a couple girlfriends. Fullmetal Fox. By the same author. This is a naruto/fma crossover. Kyuubi is Ed. Naruto is a kickass ninja and an alchemist with the same abilities as edward elric, among others. Naruto is Sanin level.

EroslacherMecha had some good stories; but he has a serious case of Creator Atention Deficit, he has started and left unfinished dozens of stories (many which had potential)

Traab
2012-08-25, 08:08 PM
EroslacherMecha had some good stories; but he has a serious case of Creator Atention Deficit, he has started and left unfinished dozens of stories (many which had potential)

Agreed, thats why I listed two of his better, and completed, stories. Both have sequels, but neither of them made it very far.

OOOO! Great Naruto/One piece crossover, Sound of a Jinchuriki. Im sure I misspelled that last part, Its a naruto fic where he and sasuke are good friends, they go on an adventure through the one piece world, (though well after the end of the series) naruto as a kid eats the "oto oto fruit" and gets the power over sound. I really enjoy reading that story now and then.

*EDIT* You know what? Forget me recommending stories, do a search for Tribernator in fanfiction.net and read through my favorites collection. I have hundreds of stories, and most of them are pretty damn good. The vast majority are either naruto or harry potter, including tons of crossovers with just about everything, and a solid selection of btvs, mostly halloween costume fics since they are always fun for crossovers.

Sarcasticles
2012-08-25, 10:42 PM

Velkyn Karma does good One Piece stories, but they're with the origional crew. Very high quality though, I enjoy her work a lot.

As for fanfiction in general, I like starting with the TvTropes recs page (not perfect, but it's a good start), and then going through author's faves instead of searching through the main engine. I find it easier to find stuff that's more alligned to my taste that way.

Writing's fun too, even though I'm not any good at it.

Starwulf
2012-08-25, 11:06 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll begin checking them out shortly. IN the meantime, I stumbled upon an interesting one myself, it's a naruto/bleach cross-over where Naruto is an Espada(well, kinda, not gonna spoil it). It gives a decent reason for it, hence the only reason why I was able to move past it. It's actually pretty decent so far, if a bit short(nothing compared to the one I just got done ^^). It's called "Antagonist" by Kalashnikov.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-26, 09:15 AM
Agreed, thats why I listed two of his better, and completed, stories. Both have sequels, but neither of them made it very far.

OOOO! Great Naruto/One piece crossover, Sound of a Jinchuriki. Im sure I misspelled that last part, Its a naruto fic where he and sasuke are good friends, they go on an adventure through the one piece world, (though well after the end of the series) naruto as a kid eats the "oto oto fruit" and gets the power over sound. I really enjoy reading that story now and then.

*EDIT* You know what? Forget me recommending stories, do a search for Tribernator in fanfiction.net and read through my favorites collection. I have hundreds of stories, and most of them are pretty damn good. The vast majority are either naruto or harry potter, including tons of crossovers with just about everything, and a solid selection of btvs, mostly halloween costume fics since they are always fun for crossovers.

Will do, that Sound of Jinchuuriki sounds interesting, and I just remembered an awesome Naruto Fanfic, Naruto Next Generation is a future fic in which the character have became the teachers, was first published in 2005 so there are even more changes to canon than normal (for one I think Itachi was actually a bad guy). It is massive with 147 chapters and I think it has even more characters that the series itself (there are 5 man cells+ jounin instructor). And what it's better it seems it will be finished as the last update was 22 of august.

Maxios
2012-08-26, 11:52 AM
So I found a new fan fic for X-Men Evolution called Instant Messaging. Pretty good.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-26, 11:59 AM
On the X-men Evolution I have read some really good recently, The Son of Krypton series is a mega-crossover between DC and Marvel universe, with Xavier finding Kal just before he leaves the Fortress of solitude and he joins the Institute, "Controlling Chaos" is a "sequel" to the evolution series set shortly after the Apocalypsis arc, featuring a really badass Rogue (evolution is my favourite of her incarnations by far) and the resurgence of Phoenix, somewhat dark on its tone.

I am also reading the Spider X series in which Xavier found Spidey shortly after Ben's Death, it starts a bit weak as it was the author's first work; but it improves a lot (though there are a lot of typos). Just as a note, Spidey isn't a mutant, he keeps his origin intact and the Author melds really well (IMO) the X-men Evo world and Spider-man (it follows the comic universe more than others).

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-26, 12:09 PM
I started a written Leafgreen Nuzlocke about two guys using pokemon as an excuse to get drunk all the time, even made a set of in-universe drinking game rules. Don't know if that counts.

Actualy, I really need to restart that.

Apart from Nuzlockes, I haven't read much if any fanfics.

Maxios
2012-08-26, 12:37 PM
On the X-men Evolution I have read some really good recently, The Son of Krypton series is a mega-crossover between DC and Marvel universe, with Xavier finding Kal just before he leaves the Fortress of solitude and he joins the Institute, "Controlling Chaos" is a "sequel" to the evolution series set shortly after the Apocalypsis arc, featuring a really badass Rogue (evolution is my favourite of her incarnations by far) and the resurgence of Phoenix, somewhat dark on its tone.

I am also reading the Spider X series in which Xavier found Spidey shortly after Ben's Death, it starts a bit weak as it was the author's first work; but it improves a lot (though there are a lot of typos). Just as a note, Spidey isn't a mutant, he keeps his origin intact and the Author melds really well (IMO) the X-men Evo world and Spider-man (it follows the comic universe more than others).

Can you give me links to these, please?

Traab
2012-08-26, 04:04 PM
SmallvilleX: Evolution is another smallville/xmen evolution crossover. Its finished and deep into the second book. We get to see clark grow into his powers alongside the xmen, go to bayville, and fight off bad guys who want to expose him as a mutant or an alien, or just outright kill him. The main storyline of smallville seems to take place, like lana being taken over by isabel, but its mainly situated in xmen territory. Also some spiderman side stories take place as well.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 08:44 AM
I just found one of the most hilarious fanfictions I've ever read, Harry Potter and the Natural 20. It is a crossover with D&D in which a 3rd level Wizard (3e) is dropped into HP universe. It is awesome

Maugan Ra
2012-08-27, 03:11 PM
To Be King Once More, Maugan_Ra- Bleach, AU post Winter War. What if, after the Winter War, it is not the Soul Reapers that restore Ichigo's powers, but Ichimaru and the surviving Espada?

*blushes slightly*

You know, I should really get around to writing the next chapter of that one...

Nameless
2012-08-27, 03:37 PM
I'm not exactly an avid reader of fanfics, but I haven't found any of the ones that I have read to be particularly well written, including ones that most people seem to think are very good.
The only one I can honestly say was well written, was a MLP one, "Bubbles". I kind of find that the writing in most fanfics make me cringe or grown a bit. The stories and concepts themselves might be good, and I might even find it engaging to a degree, but I tend to find the writing itself somewhat awkward.

I ado love badfics, though ("My Immortal" ect). :smallbiggrin:

Man on Fire
2012-08-27, 04:06 PM
I read only dark fics. Some of my favorite include Challenge of The Super Friends The End (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4602078/1/Challenge_of_the_Superfriends_The_End) (Superfriends), Eddward (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5065029/1/Eddward) and Johnny (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5085379/1/Johnny) (Ed, Edd & Eddy) and The Shape of the Nightmare To Come (http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51806&page=1) and The Age of Dusk (http://www.thebolthole.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=231) (Warhammer 40k).

Tavar
2012-08-27, 04:30 PM
*blushes slightly*

You know, I should really get around to writing the next chapter of that one...

Yes, yes you should. I mean, what else are we paying you for?:smalltongue:

Tell me what happens to Harribel. And the 11th. Tell me EVERYTHING!

Traab
2012-08-27, 05:43 PM
I'm not exactly an avid reader of fanfics, but I haven't found any of the ones that I have read to be particularly well written, including ones that most people seem to think are very good.
The only one I can honestly say was well written, was a MLP one, "Bubbles". I kind of find that the writing in most fanfics make me cringe or grown a bit. The stories and concepts themselves might be good, and I might even find it engaging to a degree, but I tend to find the writing itself somewhat awkward.

I ado love badfics, though ("My Immortal" ect). :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I can understand that, some fanfics are truly wretched grammatically. I think I am very much so more laid back when it comes to the level of writing skill of a fic, I can forgive a lot. The borderline for me is an author named narutoenthusiast, Tired, The Path of the Hunternin, and Lone Wolf. They are really interesting stories, but his writing is just plain terrible! He improves a bit, but the early chapters are a struggle for me to wade through.

Nekura
2012-08-29, 12:48 PM
Can anyone help me find an old story I somewhat remember? It was a Ranma Ĺ story that had an original character that was part of a group responsible for the cat fist technique. Because of that he decides to help Ranma to master it. I think it also had something like anything goes martial arts giant keyboard playing. I donít remember if it ever finished or not but itís an example of an OC I didnít hate.

turkishproverb
2012-08-29, 02:13 PM

Aha. Aha.

No.

Fan Fiction, at it's LATEST even arguable origin (not counting any number of arthurian works, or 18th and 19th century unauthorized "sequels" started with the original Star Trek, thanks to fanzines.

Heck that's where the term Mary Sue originated.

Tavar
2012-08-29, 02:37 PM
(not counting any number of arthurian works, or 18th and 19th century unauthorized "sequels" started with the original Star Trek, thanks to fanzines.

Or stuff like the Illiad/Odyssey/Aeneid stuff(Aeneid is clearly this, but there's also debate about the former 2). Funny, really, how many classics are fanfiction, just before copyright. I'm not saying this means fanfiction is automatically, or even often, worthy of the label. Just that ignoring all Fanfiction would, by necessity, mean ignoring most well thought of works.

turkishproverb
2012-08-29, 02:50 PM
Yea. I'm just pointing out even by "Modern" definitions, Fan Fiction started long before Mlai said.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-31, 01:21 PM
I kinda want to try my hand again at fanfiction writing, and I thought here would be a good place to ask for input on my ideas (and probably ask for a beta too).

Would someone like to help me?

Tavar
2012-08-31, 03:55 PM
Sure. What fandom are you looking at?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-31, 04:57 PM
Naruto and X-men evolution, not a cross-over separate stories.

Foeofthelance
2012-09-01, 02:14 PM
You know, some fans scare me. I got challenged by a moderator on one sight to try and get some negative reviews. So I wrote a Harry Potter fic where Harry and Hermione pretty much swan dive into the dark side. (Apparently they are the most hated pairing, based on what the mods had to deal with.) It started with Hermione crucifying Ron to the wall of the Gryffindor common room and just got worse from there.

I didn't get a single negative review.

I got suggestions.

Tavar
2012-09-01, 02:50 PM

The former I can help with pretty easily. The second I am not too familiar with, though. Any particar genre you want to write?

Zeful
2012-09-01, 03:06 PM
You know, some fans scare me. I got challenged by a moderator on one sight to try and get some negative reviews. So I wrote a Harry Potter fic where Harry and Hermione pretty much swan dive into the dark side. (Apparently they are the most hated pairing, based on what the mods had to deal with.) It started with Hermione crucifying Ron to the wall of the Gryffindor common room and just got worse from there.

I got suggestions.

Two reasons for that: 1: Fanfiction readers tend to tap out and stop reading than leave negative reviews. You could write almost anything and get more positive reviews than negative ones. 2: A competent author behind a project and treating what he's doing with respect earns the respect of the audience. Any idiot can write fanfiction, it takes real skill and effort to do something good with it.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-01, 03:10 PM
I really dislike crossover fanfiction.
My favorite fanfiction is a Sailor Moon & The Dimensional Key, a fanfiction megasaga with three main stories (Dragon Kishi, Noble Kishi & Nemesis) plus a spinoff (Star Knights). It integrates everything in the Sailor Moon canon into it and it plays a lot with the series' tropes (Dragon Kishi is pretty much a shounen story, while Nemesis is more like seinen with hints of jousei).
Unfortunatelly the authors gave up on it after writing for almost 20 years. It's a lot to read, it's very good (well, except for Noble Kishi)... but it's only in portuguese.

Traab
2012-09-01, 07:41 PM
I really dislike crossover fanfiction.
My favorite fanfiction is a Sailor Moon & The Dimensional Key, a fanfiction megasaga with three main stories (Dragon Kishi, Noble Kishi & Nemesis) plus a spinoff (Star Knights). It integrates everything in the Sailor Moon canon into it and it plays a lot with the series' tropes (Dragon Kishi is pretty much a shounen story, while Nemesis is more like seinen with hints of jousei).
Unfortunatelly the authors gave up on it after writing for almost 20 years. It's a lot to read, it's very good (well, except for Noble Kishi)... but it's only in portuguese.

The main reason I LIKE crossovers, is because you can only read so many variations of canon that only uses in universe stuff before it gets repetitive. Take naruto for instance. There are only so many ways the wave arc can play out without it getting annoying because the variations are minor at best. There may be several dozen main variations, but thats still a finite limit. When you can bring in xmen, bleach, sailor moon, batman, spiderman, claymore, or yugioh, you are adding in extra varients to keep things interesting.

Harry Potter is even worse for this because unlike naruto, there is a far shorter selection of events to pick and choose from to make changes in. Naruto has dozens of established characters, even if they only featured in 1-3 episodes. Harry potter on the other hand has a fairly small cast of developed characters, and then the fandom has added in about that many again in characters that existed in the series but never got explored, ie tracey davis, blaise zabini, daphne and astoria greengrass, susan bones, hannah abbot, etc etc etc. These are characters that barely get a mention in the actual series, but have been written about so much in fanfiction that they actually have standard personality traits and such that didnt exist before fanfiction was written about them.

Its gotten to the point where the canon events have been done so much that people are writing HUGE departures like, 30 minutes that changed everything, or The Queen Who Fell To Earth. (I suggest reading both as they are pretty awesome and different) so when it comes to harry potter, the need to write crossovers becomes even stronger due to less material to work with in the canon.

Nekura
2012-09-03, 11:13 AM

I got suggestions.

What site is Harry/Hermione the most hated paring? I tend to read Harry/pretty much any girl except Ginny. Maybe Ginny fans hate that paring more but most stories I read donít tend to bash on Hermioneís character and authors are just as willing to pair Harry with Hermione as Tonks, Daphne, Fleur, or any of the other girls.

Also you crucified Ron? Where can I find this story I really donít like Ron. A lot of people do complain about Ron getting ďbashedĒ when most of the time the author is just keeping his negative character traits he had in the books but change Harry so he is unwilling to act as a doormat and welcome Ron back after he walks all over him and their friendship. I am fine when he does get bashed though and any over the top deaths or punishments he receives are ok by me.

Maxios
2012-09-03, 11:26 AM

If you need any help or advice for Evolution, just let me know.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-03, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the offer Maxios; but I have review my original concept for the X-men Evo fic and right now I don't think it would be good or interesting.

Traab
2012-09-03, 04:43 PM
What site is Harry/Hermione the most hated paring? I tend to read Harry/pretty much any girl except Ginny. Maybe Ginny fans hate that paring more but most stories I read donít tend to bash on Hermioneís character and authors are just as willing to pair Harry with Hermione as Tonks, Daphne, Fleur, or any of the other girls.

Also you crucified Ron? Where can I find this story I really donít like Ron. A lot of people do complain about Ron getting ďbashedĒ when most of the time the author is just keeping his negative character traits he had in the books but change Harry so he is unwilling to act as a doormat and welcome Ron back after he walks all over him and their friendship. I am fine when he does get bashed though and any over the top deaths or punishments he receives are ok by me.

Meh, a lot of people just plain hate most bash fics. Mostly because they tend to go over the top and stupid fast. Whether its ron being a rampaging lunatic that constantly snaps and attacks everyone around him in between binging on 3 whole turkeys a meal and isnt smart enough to pour water out of a boot if you told him instructions were on the heel, or sasuke who is not only ludicrously arrogant, but is also a total moron incapable of understanding reality no matter how many times the strong naruto beats the ever loving crap out of him.

Same for sakura who is written as a window shattering screech demon that lives in a fantasy world where she blocks out whatever anyone else is doing and instantly proclaims that sasuke did it all and is just soooo cool. Also she is often rather murderous towards naruto. Oh, and she couldnt kill konohamaru if he was asleep and tied up with all his limbs broken. She would just trip over her own feet, smash her forehead into the wall, and land on her own kunai.

Bottom line, bash fics grotesquely exaggerate all the flaws of a character while ignoring their positive traits and it quite frankly gets as boring as god/whoever fics where the main hero is instantly made 100x as powerful as everyone else just because.

Maxios
2012-09-04, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the offer Maxios; but I have review my original concept for the X-men Evo fic and right now I don't think it would be good or interesting.

What is it?

Randomguy
2012-09-04, 05:42 PM
I've read a couple of fanfictions, but the one that I enjoy the most is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (http://hpmor.com/), an ongoing fanfic by Eliezer Yudkowsky, an AI researcher and decision theorist. It has 85 chapters and 475,416 words so far, and Harry's still in first year. It's the most reviewed Harry Potter fanfiction on the internet.

It takes place in an alternate universe, where Petunia marries a scientist. It's got science, comedy, and a shout out to just about everything (including Order of the Stick).

It starts getting really good around chapter 5.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-09-04, 11:07 PM
What is it? It is mostly a self insert fic with an OC based on a character I made for a RPG... so yeah not good.

I've read a couple of fanfictions, but the one that I enjoy the most is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (http://hpmor.com/), an ongoing fanfic by Eliezer Yudkowsky, an AI researcher and decision theorist. It has 85 chapters and 475,416 words so far, and Harry's still in first year. It's the most reviewed Harry Potter fanfiction on the internet.

It takes place in an alternate universe, where Petunia marries a scientist. It's got science, comedy, and a shout out to just about everything (including Order of the Stick).

It starts getting really good around chapter 5.

I started reading it ; but about 10 or so chapter in I just gave up. It didn't felt as an actual fanfiction to me.. and the Author style isn't my cup of tea.

Tavar
2012-09-05, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Methods of Rationality is....extremely divisive, similar to Embers in many ways.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with OC/Self-Inserts. Hell, two relatively popular and long running fics, Price of Living and Dreaming of Sunshine, both in the Naruto fandom, make extensive use of self inserts, and are actually good.

Nekura
2012-09-05, 03:01 PM
Meh, a lot of people just plain hate most bash fics. Mostly because they tend to go over the top and stupid fast. Whether its ron being a rampaging lunatic that constantly snaps and attacks everyone around him in between binging on 3 whole turkeys a meal and isnt smart enough to pour water out of a boot if you told him instructions were on the heel, or sasuke who is not only ludicrously arrogant, but is also a total moron incapable of understanding reality no matter how many times the strong naruto beats the ever loving crap out of him.

Same for sakura who is written as a window shattering screech demon that lives in a fantasy world where she blocks out whatever anyone else is doing and instantly proclaims that sasuke did it all and is just soooo cool. Also she is often rather murderous towards naruto. Oh, and she couldnt kill konohamaru if he was asleep and tied up with all his limbs broken. She would just trip over her own feet, smash her forehead into the wall, and land on her own kunai.

Bottom line, bash fics grotesquely exaggerate all the flaws of a character while ignoring their positive traits and it quite frankly gets as boring as god/whoever fics where the main hero is instantly made 100x as powerful as everyone else just because.

Yeah I know a lot of people hate bash fics and am surprised the story didnít get any negative reviews when bashing a character. People will read an entire story that bashes their favorite character leaving flames each chapter even when the author warns that they will bash that character in the summary. I even mentioned that people will complain if you put a character they like in a bad light even if it isnít bashing it is just keeping them in character. Ron had a lot of bad character traits in the books and I have seen stories that have him keep them without exaggerating while still having him stay friends with Harry, be a hero at the end, and get a girl, yet they still get reviews that whine about the author Ron bashing.

Thatís not to say that some stories donít go way overboard when bashing a character. But even so I can enjoy a well written story that has bashing in it. Usually the trick is in moderation. I donít like it when the majority of the story is spent bashing one or multiple characters. When you dislike a character it can be fun reading about them getting bashed a bit. However if you donít like them you usually donít want them to dominate the story even if itís them getting bashed. You generally want the story to a have a significant amount more to itís plot then that.

But yeah a story where every single chapter Sasuke gets curb stomped by Naruto but still sneers at him calling him dead last while fully believing he is a far superior ninja to him isnít fun to read even though I hate Sasuke. 90 percent of everything is crap so there are a lot of bad bash fics out there. It gets even more complicated when reviews accuse an author of bashing when he isnít or when and author says he will bash a character but then never really gets around to actual bashing.

Maxios
2012-09-05, 05:04 PM
It is mostly a self insert fic with an OC based on a character I made for a RPG... so yeah not good.

I started reading it ; but about 10 or so chapter in I just gave up. It didn't felt as an actual fanfiction to me.. and the Author style isn't my cup of tea.

My advice: do it as a comedic spoof of Mary Sue stories.

Traab
2012-09-05, 05:50 PM
Yeah I know a lot of people hate bash fics and am surprised the story didnít get any negative reviews when bashing a character. People will read an entire story that bashes their favorite character leaving flames each chapter even when the author warns that they will bash that character in the summary. I even mentioned that people will complain if you put a character they like in a bad light even if it isnít bashing it is just keeping them in character. Ron had a lot of bad character traits in the books and I have seen stories that have him keep them without exaggerating while still having him stay friends with Harry, be a hero at the end, and get a girl, yet they still get reviews that whine about the author Ron bashing.

Thatís not to say that some stories donít go way overboard when bashing a character. But even so I can enjoy a well written story that has bashing in it. Usually the trick is in moderation. I donít like it when the majority of the story is spent bashing one or multiple characters. When you dislike a character it can be fun reading about them getting bashed a bit. However if you donít like them you usually donít want them to dominate the story even if itís them getting bashed. You generally want the story to a have a significant amount more to itís plot then that.

But yeah a story where every single chapter Sasuke gets curb stomped by Naruto but still sneers at him calling him dead last while fully believing he is a far superior ninja to him isnít fun to read even though I hate Sasuke. 90 percent of everything is crap so there are a lot of bad bash fics out there. It gets even more complicated when reviews accuse an author of bashing when he isnít or when and author says he will bash a character but then never really gets around to actual bashing.

I especially love the ginny bash fics that have her being a psychopathically obsessed fangirl constantly mixing up potions and acting like a total slut towards harry. If he happens to already be in a relationship, she will go the whole 9 yards towards breaking them up. Trying to make them hate each other, setting up scenarios where it looks like they are cheating on each other, or outright attacking the other girl. I mean come on, I admit its been awhile since I read the stories, but I dont recall her being a brainless, potentially violent, fangirl much past the early parts of the second book where she kept putting her elbow in butter dishes and such while he was at their house. Of course, that may be because she was a virtual nonentity for most of the series.

Too be fair a lot of them are just general weasley bash fics. Mom is a scheming theif robbing harry blind and trying her best to drug him into falling in "love" with ginny, and usually doing the same to hermione for ron. Ron is like I mentioned in my last post, and the rest of the family are either in on it, or dont care.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 12:26 AM
Hmm, this is a very specific request, but does anyone know of any good post-college Azumanga Daioh fan fiction?

SmartAlec
2012-09-13, 03:52 AM
Or stuff like the Illiad/Odyssey/Aeneid stuff(Aeneid is clearly this, but there's also debate about the former 2). Funny, really, how many classics are fanfiction, just before copyright. I'm not saying this means fanfiction is automatically, or even often, worthy of the label. Just that ignoring all Fanfiction would, by necessity, mean ignoring most well thought of works.

Julius Caesar was known to have written some Heracles and Achilles fan fiction, if that helps. True story. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 03:53 AM
Julius Caesar was known to have written some Heracles and Achilles fan fiction, if that helps. True story. :smallsmile:
Was it Slash?:smalltongue:

SmartAlec
2012-09-13, 04:27 AM
The Romans were probably pretty disapproving overall of the act of writing slash fiction, but with Caesar I guess you never know.

Ravens_cry
2012-09-13, 04:46 AM
The Romans were probably pretty disapproving overall of the act of writing slash fiction, but with Caesar I guess you never know.
The Greeks on the other hand . . .
Like the old saying goes, "Beware Greeks pairing ships.":smalltongue:

Maugan Ra
2012-09-14, 04:46 AM
That pun makes me wish to both applaud and commit great violence upon you. Well done, I think... :smalltongue:

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-15, 06:15 AM
Do you guys know of any good original flavour (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OriginalFlavour) fanfics in the Bleach, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Marvel Comics, Hunter x Hunter, Tenjou Tenge or Flame of Recca fandoms?

Ravens_cry
2012-09-15, 06:28 AM
That pun makes me wish to both applaud and commit great violence upon you. Well done, I think... :smalltongue:
Why thank you! This is practically the best reaction I could hope for.:smallbiggrin:

Scowling Dragon
2012-09-15, 07:01 AM
I can't believe I find myself here.

But thats the power of Discworld. You start reading, and when you stop you feel cheated. CAUSE I NEED MORE! BLAAAAAAAUGH! It reduced me to a giggling with glee fanboy. Terry just has an amazing power to turn any character that by all means should be unlikable and make them.....Likeable.

So I have to resort to the tub of lard and animal feces that is fanfiction to get my discworld fix.

One thing that I find is that only the good fanfiction is unfinished. The crappy kind is ALWAYS completed.

TheEmerged
2012-09-18, 08:11 AM
Do you guys know of any good original flavour (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OriginalFlavour) fanfics in the Bleach, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, Marvel Comics, Hunter x Hunter, Tenjou Tenge or Flame of Recca fandoms?

I'd like to thank you for a that link. I have to say I've rather enjoyed the "Team 8" Naruto fanfic linked there. I haven't hit the 'wham episode' yet though, so we'll see if it keeps pace afterwards.

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-18, 08:24 AM
I'd like to thank you for a that link. I have to say I've rather enjoyed the "Team 8" Naruto fanfic linked there. I haven't hit the 'wham episode' yet though, so we'll see if it keeps pace afterwards.

I'm still gathering up the courage to read it.