PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Calling of Saints and Legends

Agrippa
2012-08-07, 12:25 AM
Dark times have fallen on Britain's Magical Community. Voldemort has returned and war is on the horizion. Knowing the horrors and atrocities that his old student Tom Riddle will stoop to Dumbledore has become desperate. So good old Albus decides to bring a few friends along. The kinds of friends the Ministry of wouldn't approve and old Riddle wouldn't care to notice. Marv, Dwight McCarthy, Miho, Noah McManus and sons and an old friend of a friend trying to atone for her days as a ruthless contract killer. Her name is Beatrix Kiddo, better known as Black Mamba. The Death Eaters won't won't know what hit them.

So try to imagine the likes of Sin City's Marv, Miho and Dwight, along with the McManus family a.k.a the Saints and the infamous Black Mamba, all responding to a summons by Albus Dumbledore. He is requesting aid in the oncoming war against Voldemort and his Death Eaters, either at the begining or end of the fifth year of Harry Potter's time in Hogwarts. They have been brought in without Ministry approval (obviously), but will ultimately be promised exemption from the Ministy of Magic's memory charm policy for Muggles, due in large part to the Ministry's own desperation.

My question is this, what if any impact would these hardcore anti-heroes have on the Magical War and on Hogwarts its self? It should also be noted that they will be aware of Dumbledore's and Snape's plan to end Albus' life at the begining of the Summer of 1997. I know this messes around with the time lines for the other canons a bit but that dosen't bother me.

Agrippa
2012-08-07, 08:42 AM
It was late and I was tired when I typed the first post and I just fixed it now.

Aedilred
2012-08-07, 11:51 AM
It's difficult to tell. As Muggles, they're essentially defenceless against the magic that the Death Eaters are wielding; on the other hand, they have access to things that wizards don't seem to know or understand (guns, for instance). Even so, I have a feeling that spells like Protego will protect against bullets as well as offensive magic.

GloatingSwine
2012-08-07, 12:07 PM
My question is this, what if any impact would these hardcore anti-heroes have on the Magical War and on Hogwarts its self?

Souls eaten by dementors? I mean these people have not had terribly happy lives, so they're probably going to be pretty easy to push over the edge as they enter the bad juju field around a dementor.

If you want to plop down a hired gun in the potterverse try someone like Kincaid from the Dresden Files. At least he's used to dealing with wizards and worse.

Prime32
2012-08-07, 04:32 PM
First thing I thought of. (http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/2WhhS2maFEs?autoplay=1&showinfo=0)

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-08, 07:41 AM
"Looked dead, didn't he? But now he's back and on what the movie advertisements refer to as a roaring rampage of revenge. He will roar, and he will rampage but this summer I will...

Kill Riddle."

Word of God suggests muggle with shotgun beats Wizard most of the time. The kind of muggles we are discussing are a lot more dangerous and inventive.

As long as Dumbledore thinks to send them off with some backup or otherwise protection from Dementors, I think they've got a very good chance of steamrollering the opposition.

Otherwise, yeah, most of them will go down to them, as they lack meaningful ways to combat soul devouring ghost-things. Unless of course the Dementor's secret weakness is lots of physical violence.

GloatingSwine
2012-08-08, 12:50 PM
It's not just the Dementors though. There's also werewolves and giants to contend with. Which, frankly, are only going to get annoyed if you shoot them with handguns or poke them with swords.

If your hired guns need shepherding from the most dangerous elements of your opponents army so they can kill what are arguably the squishiest parts already, you're not getting your money's worth.

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-08, 01:07 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I'm sure I agree. Giants and Werewolves are tricky to deal with, sure, but it's possible in comparison to dealing with invulnerable auras of inevitable death.

Or just avoided all together, depending on the particulars.

Agrippa
2012-08-09, 06:35 PM
If Marv (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_(Sin_City)) can punch out Kevin's wolf with a single swing I think he can take werewolves on relatively well. Not to mention that Marv might think to dig a moat around Hogwarts, line the bottom of it with explosives and edges of it with razor wire. I'd like to see any of Voldemort's troops, espicially the giants, try to deal with that. And of course you have Dwight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_McCarthy), Miho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miho_(Sin_City)) and Il Duce (http://theboondocksaints.wikia.com/wiki/Noah_MacManus) himself.

In this scenario the badass normals mentioned here strictly speaking are not hired guns. Beatrix Kiddo is attempting to atone for her past sins, the McManus brothers are tagging along with dear old dad and the rest are old friends of Dumbledore's and owe him a favor. They'll also be watching over Hogwarts and some of them will be heading new elective classes. Such as physical education, non-magical self defence/martial arts, a Muggle perspective on Muggle Studies, tactics and ancient languages.

Aedilred
2012-08-09, 08:19 PM
Not to mention that Marv might think to dig a moat around Hogwarts, line the bottom of it with explosives and edges of it with razor wire. I'd like to see any of Voldemort's troops, espicially the giants, try to deal with that.
It depends whether they thought to use magic or not. Which they probably would.

darkblade
2012-08-09, 08:27 PM
To be able to have any meaningful effect on the student body they would have to be stay around through Umbridge, which is going to be next to impossible since she went out of her way to prune anyone too close to Dumbledore and they were all directly called by him.

They might be able to better prepare Hogwarts for an all out attack but that only happens in Deathly Hallows after the school has just been liberated from Death Eater control so there is no way a bunch of muggles would still be on staff. Beyond that pretty much every encounter with Death Eaters occurs either off school grounds or where no staff are able to reach the main characters.

So really unless they join the Order of the Phoenix and kill some Death Eaters on their own they won't have much effect.

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-09, 08:42 PM
I can't imagine many of them sitting around and waiting for Voldemort to attack, to be quite honest. Nor concerning themselves with whether or not they are "On Staff".

Agrippa
2012-08-10, 12:59 PM
Having Hogwarts as a base of opperations wouldn't stop any of them from taking on outside missions. Both Hagrid and Dumbledore are proof of that. If you add in the facts that Dwight is highly perceptive, Marv is a pretty good investigator and they're both damn near fearless, Doleres Umbrage would be exposed as a child torturer a whole lot earlier.