PDA

View Full Version : How would you cast a remake of the Incredibles?

Hopeless
2012-08-09, 08:17 AM
Say you have the chance to decide on how a remake of this Pixar movie could be done with entirely new characters to make it less of a copycat.

Who would be the villain?

Who would be the hero?

And what would be the storyline you'd like to see?

For example:

Villain: Richard Alexander, son of a power hungry and malevolent billionaire who crossed the wrong person and was killed, his son having evidence it was done by a supervillain begins a personal quest for justice that devolves into fulfilling his father's dream of world conquest.

Hero: Nightfall, won't bother naming her but she's the daughter of the man who killed Richard's father and chose to become a hero to force her father to choose between her and his supervillain career, although left unmentioned he has retired but came close to annihilating europe after certain parties tried to kill the hero believed responsible for his "retirement".
She assumed a new identity to continue her career as a crimefighter looking to help train the next generation as the powered were becoming too obsessed with being celebrities and publicity.
Notes: Spent early life in a circus learning stage magic and acrobatics, her father introduced her to martial arts training which she continued, her somewhat irregular schooling left her with no real qualification which hides the fact she is a polymath who wished she could lead a normal life something denied her because revealing her identity would also reveal her parentage something that would make just living rather hard to do with all the enemies her father has earned during his career.

Alexander's Organisation: Seeks to identify any powered deemed unlikely to participate in Richard's scheme for world conquest and eliminate them so they cannot stop him from succeeding however whilst they have the means to nullify powers and employ explosives and traps let alone assassins even of the powered variety their efforts have hit an odd wall, their latest target a supposedly nonpowered crimefighter reknowned for "his" lack of gloryhound or interest in publicity has survived far too many of their traps for their boss to toelrate any further failure.

Storyline:
A villified hero who was wrongfully blamed for the deaths of her last team is trying to decide between retiring her costumed identity for good as a megalomaniac in charge of a corporation has been bio-engineering his own army of superpowered villains in preparation for taking over the world.
His organisation has been targetting costumed heroes and eliminating them so he can replace them with his own creations, however he has become obsessed with one specific target who has unwittingly survived five separate attempts on "his" life such that he has had planted fake evidence to villify that hero.
However as his schemes to draw out the hero fall flat as she is visiting her roots trying to decide her future the megalomaniac sends out his goons after the daughter of another target who is he's unaware is an old friend of the hero.
They strike as the hero in her normal identity spends the evening as a babysitter resulting in a firefight which she escapes with their target but in the process her identity is revealed.]
This time she tracks down her attackers and learns whose behind the attacks and chased by the authorities she leads them straight to the main villain taunted him into revealing his goals whilst one of her pursuers is present and the resulting fight ends with her overwhelmed as unexpectedly help arrives.

Well its is a start after all!

The Glyphstone
2012-08-09, 09:27 PM
If you're using entirely new characters and an entirely different plot, how does it count as a remake?

Mauve Shirt
2012-08-09, 09:30 PM
What Glyphstone said. This sounds like the plot for a completely separate superhero movie. Is it only a remake because you're imagining it computer-animated Pixar style?

Dr.Epic
2012-08-09, 09:33 PM
If you're using entirely new characters and an entirely different plot, how does it count as a remake?

You'd be surprised how Hollywood works.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Back on topic, I think the Incredibles is great as is. It's my favorite Pixar film, and I would tamper with something that's already pretty awesome.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-09, 09:38 PM
Two things:

A) You are describing an entirely different movie from what The Incredibles was and what it was about.

B) The Incredibles was an amazing movie which neither needs to be remade nor recast.

Starscream
2012-08-09, 10:26 PM
My remake of The Incredibles would be Megamind (smart supervillain vs super strong guy).

My remake of Megamind would be Despicable Me (supervillain learns to love).

My remake of Despicable Me would be Up (grumpy guy is charmed by kid, fights worse guy, is redeemed).

My remake of Up would be The Adventures of Tintin (young man and older fellow have exciting adventures in exotic locales).

My remake of The Adventures of Tintin would be Puss in Boots (adventure/heist flick inspired by old movie serials).

My remake of Puss in Boots would be Rango (western staring funny animals).

My remake of Rango would be Shark Tale (loser is mistaken for hero, becomes one for real).

My remake of Shark Tale would be Finding Nemo (talking fish have adventure).

My remake of Finding Nemo would be How to Train Your Dragon (father must learn to accept his frail son becoming independent).

My remake of How to Train Your Dragon would be Shrek (fairy tale monster turns out to be not so bad).

My remake of Shrek would be Monsters Inc (big monster with smartass sidekick befriends human female).

My remake of Monsters Inc would be Monsters vs. Aliens (monsters are decent people, despite people finding them scary).

My remake of Monsters vs. Aliens would be Kung Fu Panda (group of fighters voiced by celebrities accept new inexperienced member).

My remake of Kung Fu Panda would be The Incredibles (colorful group of heroes must work together to save their town from evil mastermind).

After that it gets recursive.

Dr.Epic
2012-08-09, 10:29 PM
My remake of The Incredibles would be Megamind (smart supervillain vs super strong guy).

My remake of Megamind would be Despicable Me (supervillain learns to love).

My remake of Despicable Me would be Up (grumpy guy is charmed by kid, fights worse guy, is redeemed).

My remake of Up would be The Adventures of Tintin (young man and older fellow have exciting adventures in exotic locales).

My remake of The Adventures of Tintin would be Puss in Boots (adventure/heist flick inspired by old movie serials).

My remake of Puss in Boots would be Rango (western staring funny animals).

My remake of Rango would be Shark Tale (loser is mistaken for hero, becomes one for real).

My remake of Shark Tale would be Finding Nemo (talking fish have adventure).

My remake of Finding Nemo would be How to Train Your Dragon (father must learn to accept his frail son becoming independent).

My remake of How to Train Your Dragon would be Shrek (fairy tale monster turns out to be not so bad).

My remake of Shrek would be Monsters Inc (big monster with smartass sidekick befriends human female).

My remake of Monsters Inc would be Monsters vs. Aliens (monsters are decent people, despite people finding them scary).

My remake of Monsters vs. Aliens would be Kung Fu Panda (group of fighters voiced by celebrities accept new inexperienced member).

My remake of Kung Fu Panda would be The Incredibles (colorful group of heroes must work together to save their town from evil mastermind).

After that it gets recursive.

You've created a time paradox!:smalleek:

Hopeless
2012-08-10, 05:01 AM
My example was just to show that you don't have to follow everything in the Incredibles in your remake only that some of the ideas behind it make some kind of appearance.

If I followed the Incredibles storyline that closely I would have a family of supers who have tried to keep their heroic identities a secret to protect their home life, but we learn that they're not the atypical heroes we see in the comic books.
The oldest brother is an Industrialist who has all the characteristics of Tony Stark except he lacks his charisma and moral values.
His sister is divorced and trying to raise her three kids whilst remaining in contact with her brother's ex-wife and her son who her brother refuses to recognise since he doesn't believe he's his.
Their powered father died shortly after the eldest son married and their kid brother was thought killed at the same time, BUT he survived and became a villain after his older brother declared him dead so he could steal his part of the family inheritance.
The kid brother is also divorced and has a daughter of his own who has pursued a career as a crimefighter in her attempts to redeem her father (See above for more info on that!).
The family business is attacked and is thought to be the long thought dead brother but is actually a powerful rival who is seeking to violently takeover their business.
We get the estranged son building his own powered armour and that the niece has been in contact with him and is thought to be a gold digger by the rest of the family unaware that they're related.

I could go on but I'd rather make sure my point is clear.

Nice paradox by the way!

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-10, 08:57 AM
My example was just to show that you don't have to follow everything in the Incredibles in your remake only that some of the ideas behind it make some kind of appearance.

If I followed the Incredibles storyline that closely I would have a family of supers who have tried to keep their heroic identities a secret to protect their home life, but we learn that they're not the atypical heroes we see in the comic books.
The oldest brother is an Industrialist who has all the characteristics of Tony Stark except he lacks his charisma and moral values.
His sister is divorced and trying to raise her three kids whilst remaining in contact with her brother's ex-wife and her son who her brother refuses to recognise since he doesn't believe he's his.
Their powered father died shortly after the eldest son married and their kid brother was thought killed at the same time, BUT he survived and became a villain after his older brother declared him dead so he could steal his part of the family inheritance.
The kid brother is also divorced and has a daughter of his own who has pursued a career as a crimefighter in her attempts to redeem her father (See above for more info on that!).
The family business is attacked and is thought to be the long thought dead brother but is actually a powerful rival who is seeking to violently takeover their business.
We get the estranged son building his own powered armour and that the niece has been in contact with him and is thought to be a gold digger by the rest of the family unaware that they're related.

I could go on but I'd rather make sure my point is clear.

I think you're still struggling with the basic concept, since this still has nothing to do with The Incredibles.

For example, I heard that in the new Totall Recall movie, they don't even go to Mars! However, even though the story has been changed somewhat, the main characters are the same as is the general premise of mind alteration and not knowing the difference between reality and a fictional memory. Hence, it qualifies as a remake.

Your story has none of that.

Dr.Epic
2012-08-10, 11:09 AM
This still sounds a lot more like a P.O.V. sequel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/POVSequel) than a remake.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-10, 11:54 AM
This still sounds a lot more like a P.O.V. sequel (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/POVSequel) than a remake.

I don't even see that - a POV Sequel would be, say, retelling The Incredibles from the perspective of Mirage. These are as much 'remakes' as The Incredibles was a 'remake' of the Fantastic Four movies, because they both feature superhero families.

Dr.Epic
2012-08-10, 11:57 AM
I don't even see that - a POV Sequel would be, say, retelling The Incredibles from the perspective of Mirage. These are as much 'remakes' as The Incredibles was a 'remake' of the Fantastic Four movies, because they both feature superhero families.

Well, that's the closest thing I can think of to call this. I mean, it does take place in the same world, but it's definitely not the same characters or story. Maybe a spinoff or expand universe thing would be a better word.

GloatingSwine
2012-08-10, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't.

Because a remake could only possibly be worse. So why do it?

On the OP: It appears that you have missed pretty much the entire point of The Incredibles.

The Incredibles is not about a superhero, it's about a man having a mid life crisis, pining for his youth when he used to have potential, and because of that failing to value, and nearly losing, the good things he actually does have. Really, the superhero stuff is window dressing.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-10, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't.

Because a remake could only possibly be worse. So why do it?

On the OP: It appears that you have missed pretty much the entire point of The Incredibles.

The Incredibles is not about a superhero, it's about a man having a mid life crisis, pining for his youth when he used to have potential, and because of that failing to value, and nearly losing, the good things he actually does have. Really, the superhero stuff is window dressing.

It's also about superheroes. That's what makes it, like most Pixar productions, so brilliant, how it can be interpreted at different levels simultaneously.

GloatingSwine
2012-08-10, 05:51 PM
It's also about superheroes. That's what makes it, like most Pixar productions, so brilliant, how it can be interpreted at different levels simultaneously.

No. No, it has superheroes in it, but it's not about superheroes. They just act to exaggerate the things it is about. Bob's arc through the movie isn't about being "Mr. Incredible" again, it's about looking for more than he has, and pretending, for a while, that he's still the person he used to be when he was 20. If he hadn't been a superhero he'd have bought a motorbike. The same as Gattaca isn't about genetic engineering, it's about a person struggling to achieve his dream in the face of a society which denies him the opportunity to even try, the society of genetic engineered perfection for the few is just an exaggeration that underscores the actual story.

If you want to know what a story is about, look at what it means to the characters, rather than what happens.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-10, 07:15 PM
No. No, it has superheroes in it, but it's not about superheroes. They just act to exaggerate the things it is about. Bob's arc through the movie isn't about being "Mr. Incredible" again, it's about looking for more than he has, and pretending, for a while, that he's still the person he used to be when he was 20. If he hadn't been a superhero he'd have bought a motorbike. The same as Gattaca isn't about genetic engineering, it's about a person struggling to achieve his dream in the face of a society which denies him the opportunity to even try, the society of genetic engineered perfection for the few is just an exaggeration that underscores the actual story.

If you want to know what a story is about, look at what it means to the characters, rather than what happens.

So the Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and Avengers movies aren't about superheroes either? :smallconfused: I think you're confusing 'has a plot' with 'what the movie is about'. Incredibles is a deconstruction of the comic book conceit about superheroes causing collateral damage at will. It's a commentary on the short-sightedness, selfishness, and somewhat the lawsuit-happy nature of modern society. It's about a man having a midlife crisis and wanting to recapture the glory days of his youth, failing to see that the life he has is just as good as what he left behind. It's a movie about how with or without superpowers, people are still people, both good and evil. It's all of these things and more.

GloatingSwine
2012-08-12, 08:04 AM
So the Spiderman, Batman, Superman, and Avengers movies aren't about superheroes either? :smallconfused: I think you're confusing 'has a plot' with 'what the movie is about'.

The ones that stand up as good movies aren't, no.

Take the Iron Man movies, for instance. They're not about Iron Man, they're about Tony Stark as a person, his growth and self destructive tendencies.

Likewise whenever Batman or Spider-Man movies have been successful they've been about the tensions between the life of a character and his secret alter ego, but you could tell that story completely without costumes and punching.

There are very few stories that are really about superheroes, even in comics (a lot of superhero comics aren't really about anything, some guys punch each other but at the end nothing has changed for any of them in character or person). Watchmen is, it's about the impact that a person with powers like that would have on the world.

Hopeless
2012-08-12, 01:12 PM
Okay lets assume they keep the storyline, what changes would you make to give it its own identity.

For example the original dealt with a pair of former superheroes who settled down and started a family which involved a normal life because their former identities could no longer be used and they were under some kind of legislation to remain incognito.

So lets say we have an estranged family, their equivalent of Iron Man (a technologist whose superpower is inventing and building stuff ala Forge) but he has problems dealing with others his own marriage crumbled because he focused on his business than his family.
His now ex-wife has remarried but he has a son he has difficulty relating to who is secretly has similar abilities to his except he wants to use them as a hero rather than financially benefit from them at this stage.
Now our "Iron Man" has two siblings one is a former heroine whose marriage collapsed because she kept her heroic identity a secret and her husband ran off with one of her team mates and she retired from her heroic career to cope with raising her kids who are about to enter high school and none have exhibited powers "yet".
The second is a younger brother who was left for dead and as a result became a supervillain before he had his own marital crisis leaving with a daughter of his own who unlike the rest of her family was successful enough as a nonpowered crimefighter that she forced her father to retire and has moved to back to her father's home city as part of her scheme to keep her father from falling back on bad habits.
Her father absolutely hates his industrialist brother for abandoning him and is unaware that his survival was kept a secret from his older sister.
A team of supervillains are being brought together by an old enemy of their family and its up to the estranged family members to get over their problems to help defend their home and themselves from this threat.

How would you handle this if you tried a remake of the Incredibles but had to include some differences to make it original enough to be potentially as interesting?

The Glyphstone
2012-08-12, 01:37 PM
That'd be a interesting, superhero-themed movie in its own right, but it's still very far from remaking the Incredibles. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that element - contrary to what Hollywood tries to convince you, Remake =/= License To Print Money.

erikun
2012-08-12, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure why I would remake the Incredibles. I've already seen the movie, liked it, and don't see a reason to change it.

I am certainly not sure who a Batman vs. Lex Luthor plot is supposed to be an Incredibles remake. It would be a pretty large stretch to call it Incredibles 2 with the entirely new cast; I don't see how you could interpret it as a remake at all.

Omergideon
2012-08-12, 03:28 PM
That'd be a interesting, superhero-themed movie in its own right, but it's still very far from remaking the Incredibles. I'm not sure why you're stuck on that element - contrary to what Hollywood tries to convince you, Remake =/= License To Print Money.

And this is the main point. The family together, forcibly retired superheroes, Villain in Syndrome and more are all THE plot. Change them and you have a possibly interesting movie, but not a remake of the Incredibles.

nBSG was about as different from the original as a remake can get. But even then the central characters were somewhat familiar and the central premise was near identical. And I would at times struggle to call it a remake as....well it was so different. A worthwhile series to be sure but not quite the same as oBSG.

I think the main level of difference could be in the characters of the kids and family, their superpowers and some of the details of Syndromes plan/world reaction to the original. Change much more than this and you essentially have a new and totally original superhero film. And then attaching the name "Incredibles" to it would probably alienate fans of the original more than draw them in.