PDA

View Full Version : Lets Make a Conan Fanedit True to the Stories!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-09, 08:50 PM
I have been looking through Fanedit.org (http://fanedit.org/), which is a site where people re-cut films to be different in plot and theme, or simply more refined. Its a very, very interesting idea.

There has never been a Conan film true to the source matirial. However, there have been three heretical Conan films and many other movies such as Kull the Conqueror and Red Sonja that - while not very good - draw from Conan and other works of Robert E. Howard. I propose that we, as a community, recut these films into a work that is both deeply enjoyable and more true to the source material.

I posses copes of all of the films mentioned, (somewhat limited) experience editing films, a good eye for detail, time on my hands, and a love of Robert E. Howard. Who's with me?

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-09, 08:54 PM
Uh... Yeah, not sure that's really within the bounds of an edit as much as an entire re-shoot, or at least extensive re-dubbing.

I'm sure you could create an interesting something by mixing up those films, but I don't see how you'd get a more book-canon-Conan out of the mix.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-09, 09:02 PM
Uh... Yeah, not sure that's really within the bounds of an edit as much as an entire re-shoot, or at least extensive re-dubbing.

I'm sure you could create an interesting something by mixing up those films, but I don't see how you'd get a more book-canon-Conan out of the mix.

I'm not saying it has to be ENTIRELY true to the stories. I just want something that doesn't diverge quite as much, and isn't so painfully bad.

What other films or shows do you think could be cut up and used?

Logic
2012-08-09, 09:47 PM
I'm not saying it has to be ENTIRELY true to the stories. I just want something that doesn't diverge quite as much, and isn't so painfully bad.

What other films or shows do you think could be cut up and used?

Access to the directors cuts and/or deleted scenes would be a huge plus.

Some may argue for the use of video game footage from things like Age of Conan. DON'T.

And if we are splicing other movies in to make is more like Conan, avoid fantasy films that everyone knows like the back of their hand, such as LotR.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-09, 10:07 PM
Some films we could use, in no particular order.

Conan the Barbarian (1982).
Conan the Barbarian (2011).
Conan the Destroyer.
Red Sonja.
Kull the Conqueror.
The Scorpion King.
Highlander.
Cutscenes from Age of Conan.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-09, 10:14 PM
Use some scenecuts from LOTR and Indiana Jones. :smallbiggrin:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-09, 10:41 PM
Use some scenecuts from LOTR and Indiana Jones. :smallbiggrin:

How? I suppose a few clips from Indiana Jones could be included, but nothing major, because of the differing tech levels and characters. LotR is a different thing with a different mood and different imagery, with very little thematic overlap. Once again, only fleeting clips could be used effectively.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-10, 01:40 AM
Access to the directors cuts and/or deleted scenes would be a huge plus.

Some may argue for the use of video game footage from things like Age of Conan. DON'T.

And if we are splicing other movies in to make is more like Conan, avoid fantasy films that everyone knows like the back of their hand, such as LotR.

I can get access to side-content such as deleted scenes.

What about AoC cutscenes?

McStabbington
2012-08-10, 01:56 AM
Whatever you do, keep the stuff with the Walker Texas Ranger Lever and that scene where he tried to talk to Forss Fagerstrom. Those were both hilarious.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-10, 02:29 PM
What should we do for a soundtrack?

I have a few different ideas:

A heavy metal soundtrack composed of songs by at least one of the following: Opeth, Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Camelot, Marilyn Manson.
A more classical soundtrack based on the scores of Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer.
An epic pulse-pounding soundtrack that borrows from the Lord of the Rings score.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-10, 03:02 PM
Use Conan The Librarian as a fake out-take/epilogue.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-10, 03:17 PM
Use Conan The Librarian as a fake out-take/epilogue.

:smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-10, 03:23 PM

A heavy metal soundtrack composed of songs by at least one of the following: Opeth, Dream Theatre, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Camelot, Marilyn Manson.
A more classical soundtrack based on the scores of Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer.
An epic pulse-pounding soundtrack that borrows from the Lord of the Rings score.

Conan films/games/etc without a Poleduris score are a pale and miserable shadow of their potential. That is all.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-10, 08:50 PM
Any ideas for a plot? What stories should we draw inspiration from?

Also, should we edit in the Adobe Creative Suite (which I own and know how to use), or some freeware thing (which I could acquire and learn quickly). If we use the ACS, more of us are likely to know how to use it, and the tools will probably be more polished. If we use an Open Source thing, we will probably be able to get a larger crew.

Logic
2012-08-10, 08:59 PM
Perhaps you should start by listing the most true-to-form traits these movies had. Or perhaps list the movies themselves in order of closest in spirit to farthest. (I haven't seen most of these movies in ages, so I can't comment on their accuracy to the source material.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-10, 10:50 PM
This is my list of films in closest to spirit to farthest. Bare in mind that I don't think any of them are adequately close.

Classic Conan the Barbarian.
New Conan the Barbarian.
Conan the Destroyer.
Kull the Conqueror.
Red Sonja.

Agreed?

Zaydos
2012-08-10, 11:09 PM
I'd have to rewatch Red Sonja, but I'd actually put Kull closer than Conan the Destroyer. I know the new Conan movie gets played up for basing itself off the actual plots of some stories... unfortunately what even my dad (who has read a lot of the old stories and has most of them) didn't realize without it being pointed out to him so did the old Conan (the scene where he gets his sword is directly from one story, the climbing the tower draws heavily on Tower of the Elephant though lacks it's coolest elements, the scene where he gets crucified is directly from another story; his revival scene not so much) it just isn't advertised for it.

Also even though it's probably my favorite scene in the entire movie the prayer to Crom is not accurate to the stories.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-11, 12:55 AM
One of the easiest - and coolest - things one can do with After Effects is colour correction. I don't particularly like the colour scheme of the films, in that it isn't well-defined enough.

What about a sort of green-grey base, with striking reds and oranges?

Jerthanis
2012-08-11, 01:33 AM
See, the thing is, those Conan movies were pretty true to the original stories in terms of tone and general content. They weren't specifically adaptations of specific tales to the medium of film, but dealing with a strange, monstrous creature in the guise of a woman who offers help if he sleeps with her, and him escaping due to his great strength seems like Conan. Sneaking into a tower to steal from the cultists there and boozing it up afterwards seems like Conan. A kingdom wishing to complete a ritual to summon their lovecraftian god and Conan killing it by collapsing pillars on it seems like Conan. The original movies were a little strange and didn't have the specific names, locations and events of the stories you'd find in the books, though they were pretty similar to a couple I could name if I had read them more recently.

The problems with the original two movies and Red Sonja aren't that they aren't true to Conan's ideas, tone and content. I'd even argue the original is actually a genuinely good movie. The problem with Destroyer and Red Sonja are that they have awful production values, and recutting it isn't going to help when every scene looks cheap and ugly.

You might be able to recut the newer Conan the Barbarian to be less boring at the very least.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-08-11, 01:44 AM
See, the thing is, those Conan movies were pretty true to the original stories in terms of tone and general content. They weren't specifically adaptations of specific tales to the medium of film, but dealing with a strange, monstrous creature in the guise of a woman who offers help if he sleeps with her, and him escaping due to his great strength seems like Conan. Sneaking into a tower to steal from the cultists there and boozing it up afterwards seems like Conan. A kingdom wishing to complete a ritual to summon their lovecraftian god and Conan killing it by collapsing pillars on it seems like Conan. The original movies were a little strange and didn't have the specific names, locations and events of the stories you'd find in the books, though they were pretty similar to a couple I could name if I had read them more recently.

The problems with the original two movies and Red Sonja aren't that they aren't true to Conan's ideas, tone and content. I'd even argue the original is actually a genuinely good movie. The problem with Destroyer and Red Sonja are that they have awful production values, and recutting it isn't going to help when every scene looks cheap and ugly.

You might be able to recut the newer Conan the Barbarian to be less boring at the very least.

You see, that's a good idea. New Conan has some good moments and imagery, but the acting is cringe-inducing, and the plot is muddled and not very memorable.

Dark Elf Bard
2012-08-11, 10:14 AM

You also need Nachtblut (http://www.nachtblut.com/).

Taranaich
2012-08-13, 05:03 PM
See, the thing is, those Conan movies were pretty true to the original stories in terms of tone and general content.

That's extremely debateable.

They weren't specifically adaptations of specific tales to the medium of film, but dealing with a strange, monstrous creature in the guise of a woman who offers help if he sleeps with her, and him escaping due to his great strength seems like Conan. Sneaking into a tower to steal from the cultists there and boozing it up afterwards seems like Conan. A kingdom wishing to complete a ritual to summon their lovecraftian god and Conan killing it by collapsing pillars on it seems like Conan.

Unfortunately all those kind-of-sort-of-seems-like-Conan moments are drowned in a sea of decidedly un-Conan moments. Howard's Conan would never meekly bend to a slave-driver's whip for 20 years, nor would he have to be kicked out of servitude. Howard's Conan would never sulk like a naughy schoolboy before some king berating his "insolence," "outrageousness" or "arrogance." If Howard's Conan was out for revenge, nothing would stand in his way: he wouldn't be distracted or mosey about, he would stop at nothing to exact vengeance. The entire backstory of the film's Conan, and thus the entire overarching plot with Thulsa Doom, is so polarly opposite to Howard's Conan that Arnold's practically playing Bizarronan. And if you make it so that Conan's only fighting Thulsa Doom because he's just another evil wizard, by removing all the references to Doom destroying his village and killing his parents, then what's the point of the thing?

That's not even getting into the mess it makes of the Hyborian Age. The supposed "civilization" is barely distinguishable in technological achievement from the supposed "barbarians." There's no attempt to give any sense of place beyond vague references: the whole world is this gigantic post-apocalyptic wilderness, no sense that there are great kingdoms and sprawling empires with fiercely-guarded boundaries. Thulsa Doom has apparently set up his snake-cult based around giant towers, completely openly and unhidden, all across the Hyborian Kingdoms, to the point where he is in a position to rule the world - which is absurd. That'd be like having a Satan-worshipping cult building Towers of Satan all across Middle-Ages Europe. It's a good take on the later years of the Marvel comics, which had such balderdash as the Cimmerian Olympics and floating crystal castles with armies of giant dragonflies, but it sure as Hades ain't Howard.

Really, cutting all of the "Conan" films in a way remotely faithful to the stories would be about 20 minutes long.

Tengu_temp
2012-08-13, 06:20 PM
The first two Conan movies might not be close to the original stories (no opinion on the third one, haven't seen it), but they are pretty damn good in their own right. Calling them heretical makes you sound like someone who cares more about sticking to the original source than actual quality.

Jerthanis
2012-08-13, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately all those kind-of-sort-of-seems-like-Conan moments are drowned in a sea of decidedly un-Conan moments. Howard's Conan would never meekly bend to a slave-driver's whip for 20 years, nor would he have to be kicked out of servitude. Howard's Conan would never sulk like a naughy schoolboy before some king berating his "insolence," "outrageousness" or "arrogance." If Howard's Conan was out for revenge, nothing would stand in his way: he wouldn't be distracted or mosey about, he would stop at nothing to exact vengeance. The entire backstory of the film's Conan, and thus the entire overarching plot with Thulsa Doom, is so polarly opposite to Howard's Conan that Arnold's practically playing Bizarronan. And if you make it so that Conan's only fighting Thulsa Doom because he's just another evil wizard, by removing all the references to Doom destroying his village and killing his parents, then what's the point of the thing?

Perhaps... but I felt like these aspects humanized Arnold's Conan. Made him relatable and less of a superhero than he was in the stories. In fact, I'd say that the newer Conan movie more accurately represents what you describe here as far as character goes, and that movie was godawful compared to the Arnold Conan.

I guess I never really noticed Conan being meek in the scene with the king because it was such a wonderful scene for so many other reasons. "There comes a time when gold loses its luster, when gems cease to sparkle and all that remains is a father's love for his daughter." being the one that leaps immediately to mind.

That's not even getting into the mess it makes of the Hyborian Age. The supposed "civilization" is barely distinguishable in technological achievement from the supposed "barbarians." There's no attempt to give any sense of place beyond vague references: the whole world is this gigantic post-apocalyptic wilderness, no sense that there are great kingdoms and sprawling empires with fiercely-guarded boundaries. Thulsa Doom has apparently set up his snake-cult based around giant towers, completely openly and unhidden, all across the Hyborian Kingdoms, to the point where he is in a position to rule the world - which is absurd. That'd be like having a Satan-worshipping cult building Towers of Satan all across Middle-Ages Europe. It's a good take on the later years of the Marvel comics, which had such balderdash as the Cimmerian Olympics and floating crystal castles with armies of giant dragonflies, but it sure as Hades ain't Howard.

Really, cutting all of the "Conan" films in a way remotely faithful to the stories would be about 20 minutes long.

See, I really liked that. The thing about supposed 'barbarism' is that it's always just looking at another culture from an outside perspective and judging it inferior thanks to your own biases and cultural values. So judging that the kingdoms of the world were just a bunch of different people actually worked really well for me. Also, I saw Thulsa's snake cult as less Satanism spreading over Christian Europe and more Christianity spreading over Roman Europe. A new, powerful organization of mystics expanding through neighboring territories and growing in popularity. Powerful enough and popular enough already that a king couldn't act directly to root out the members in a mass purge.

But I see your point.