PDA

View Full Version : The Smallest Ville since Tinyville: SmallVille

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-12, 07:36 PM
Anyway, I decided to check out Smallville (The Superman Teen Drama.....My hopes where low) and to my surprise it turned out pretty good in most parts. And the ones that where not where VERY fun to riff .I made a running gag out of pretending that Clarks dad wanted Clark dead.

I have watched 5 episodes, including the pilot.

I found myself surprisingly attached to the characters and most of all......LUTHOR! Holy crap, they made him a awesome and believable tough dude.

The only thing I worry about is him having a poorly developed heal face turn because the series states that he will become EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIIL.

I mean its just so over the top in that respect:

There is a.....future vision of him walking through a field of flowers causing them all to wilt revealing piles of human bones as blood rains from the sky....Seriously. I guess him kicking pupies was too subtle :smallannoyed:

McStabbington
2012-08-12, 10:11 PM
Don't raise your expectations above low. The show never gets great, but it remains okay till the end of Season 2, then it just gets infuriating if you care about things like continuity.

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-12, 10:19 PM
Really? Oh. :smallfrown:

Maxios
2012-08-12, 10:34 PM
My father and I watched that show from start to finish. It gets really good in the last few seasons, especially the one with Doomsday.

Dragonus45
2012-08-12, 10:38 PM
The show is rather good overall, the beginning moves a little slow, and right when it really starts to pick up the show gets taken over by a rather unpleasant middle that gets reminiscent of soap operas, but the last few seasons were good bordering on excellent in a few parts and really managed to carry home some the series. I also kinda felt that the no tights no flight rule really hampered the series and made it meander a little when it tried to shift to metropolis. Plus green arrow gets such little love nowadays but they did a good job with him in Smallville. Same with Lex, who i feel is a bit adrift in the main comics but at least managed to be believable with his eventual turns to evil. Lets just say his father is an ass.

thorgrim29
2012-08-12, 11:02 PM
But an awesome one

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-12, 11:38 PM
My main question is: WHY IS THIS SHOW NOT ON NETFLIX?? :smallmad::smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2012-08-13, 12:45 AM
My main question is: WHY IS THIS SHOW NOT ON NETFLIX?? :smallmad::smallsigh:
Given the new film that's coming out, almost certainly rights issues.
Heh, I first typed that as 'tights issues'. Rather apropos, no?

Omergideon
2012-08-13, 01:52 AM
I personally really though Series 2-4 and 8-10 were all good with some very great episodes here or there. The JSA 2 parter in S9 for instance was fabulous.

Being said in the middle goofy villains and a writer interest in the Lana/Clark relationship dragged it down. That pair worked for a while but by the time Lois shows up (whose actress not only has more chemistry with Clark, but is far hotter too) it begins to run it's course.

Dragonus45
2012-08-13, 08:41 AM
I personally really though Series 2-4 and 8-10 were all good with some very great episodes here or there. The JSA 2 parter in S9 for instance was fabulous.

Being said in the middle goofy villains and a writer interest in the Lana/Clark relationship dragged it down. That pair worked for a while but by the time Lois shows up (whose actress not only has more chemistry with Clark, but is far hotter too) it begins to run it's course.

Is it sad that i think Lex forcing them to never date again wasn't an act of villainy? I think it was one last kindness in memory of the friendship they once had.

Omergideon
2012-08-13, 11:39 AM
Is it sad that i think Lex forcing them to never date again wasn't an act of villainy? I think it was one last kindness in memory of the friendship they once had.

Possibly the most heroic act in that characters history. And one of the noblest in the show. Though their final scene in the show together was a good nod to the friendship they once shared.

Fragenstein
2012-08-13, 12:21 PM

I keep watching this show off-and-on over the years because it is so interesting to watch it develop. But for me? What really drags it down is the formulaic pacing they eventully fall into. They have seven minutes of predictable, dry interaction followed by one minute of an interesting cliffhanger and then two minutes of commercial.

If they could find a way to stretch those interesting parts into at least half the show, I'd probably still be hooked.

Plus Zod has a british accent. So that's kind of a deal-breaker for me. Honestly.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-14, 05:20 AM
Given the new film that's coming out, almost certainly rights issues.
Heh, I first typed that as 'tights issues'. Rather apropos, no?

That's absurd. What does a new Superman movie have to do with this show not being on Netflix? :smallconfused:

Omergideon
2012-08-14, 06:34 AM
The infamous "Bat Embargo" on Justice League was caused by the existence of another Batman show, and the movies. Arguements over rights have caused more ridiculous troubles in distribution.

Hopeless
2012-08-14, 06:45 AM
That's absurd. What does a new Superman movie have to do with this show not being on Netflix? :smallconfused:

I suspect because its thought people would rather watch Smallville than go out to the cinema and watch the new movie version.. crazy yes, since I'd have thought it would be more likely to get people to go watch the movie just to see how much better it can get!:smallwink:

Liked some of it, really hated what they did with the Lana-Clark-Lex triangle:smallbiggrin: have to admit that comment about what Lex did was rather amusing:smallwink:

Ravens_cry
2012-08-14, 04:59 PM
The infamous "Bat Embargo" on Justice League was caused by the existence of another Batman show, and the movies. Arguements over rights have caused more ridiculous troubles in distribution.
In that case, I think it helped the show in my opinion because it forced them to get creative and dig around more instead of just going for the iconics.

Dienekes
2012-08-14, 05:50 PM
Plus spoilers. So that's kind of a deal-breaker for me. Honestly.

What, you mean like Terence Stamp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyHTU8tg_0)? Also known as the guy who made Zod cool.

Mando Knight
2012-08-14, 08:43 PM
I also kinda felt that the no tights no flight rule really hampered the series and made it meander a little when it tried to shift to metropolis.

I stopped watching the show around the third or fourth (?) season, while they were still mostly in Smallville, after I realized that they wanted to keep with the "Teen soap with some supernatural stuff" rather than progressing naturally into Clark becoming the Big Blue Boy Scout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxiZ0aXVJE8). Later on, I found out about them adding a proto-Justice League... without giving The Man of Steel his trademarks at the same time...

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-14, 10:04 PM
Just watched episode 11. I just wanted to Slap Lana;

"Witney would never attack anybody"

"He strung me up as a scarecrow because he saw me as a threat"

"So this is what its all about?"

I just wished he said:

"You ignored my thing. Witney strung me up just because he didn't like me. What about a person who he thinks attacked you?"

Omergideon
2012-08-15, 05:44 AM
In that case, I think it helped the show in my opinion because it forced them to get creative and dig around more instead of just going for the iconics.

Oh yes it did lead to a benefit for the show. But the point stands that the kind of shenanagens (not sure on spelling) leading to the embargo happen enough so I can believe the Netflix reasoning. Companies get silly about rights and advertising after all. Hell I think the reason the Sarah Conner Chronicles was cancelled (the one I heard about anyways) was because the Movie Terminator Salvation came out and they were worried about fan conflicts. Which is just silly.