PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Jedi: The Rebel's Code

Supreme Evil
2012-08-14, 11:15 AM
So, since the Emperor leaked the code to the Rebels in Return of the Jedi why didn't he just send them a fake code that comes up on Imperial databanks as You know that Rebel sabotage team we're expecting? Guess who. Go tell Lord Vader and/or the highest ranking officer you can find. Failure to do so immediately will result in very nasty things happening to you. Now scram.? The objective was to ensure that the team accomplished nothing. Being peeled apart by Darth Vader and 500 Stormtroopers is a lotta nothing.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-14, 11:17 AM
No, the objective was to crush the Rebel fleet once and for all between the Death Star Hammer and the Imperial Fleet Anvil, while simultaneously arranging for Luke's corruption to the Dark Side. The former wouldn't happen unless the shield went down, the latter wouldn't happen unless Luke got to the Death Star (requiring the shield to go down). So a false code wouldn't accomplish his objectives - at best, it'd capture one rebel strike team, a very low-value reward for the amount of effort put into the ruse.

Supreme Evil
2012-08-14, 11:47 AM
No, the objective was to crush the Rebel fleet once and for all between the Death Star Hammer and the Imperial Fleet Anvil, while simultaneously arranging for Luke's corruption to the Dark Side. The former wouldn't happen unless the shield went down, the latter wouldn't happen unless Luke got to the Death Star (requiring the shield to go down). So a false code wouldn't accomplish his objectives - at best, it'd capture one rebel strike team, a very low-value reward for the amount of effort put into the ruse.

The rebels on the ground had no way of communicating their success or failure to the fleet - it just came on a timed schedule, without even knowing whether or not the shield was down. "Don't worry, my friend's down there. He'll have that shield down on time. Or this'll be the shortest offensive of all time." So capturing them to begin with wouldn't make a difference in that regard.

And why wouldn't it happen? Luke was captured (admittedly voluntarily) and taken to the Death Star anyway. Catching him at the start would only speed things up.

Friv
2012-08-14, 12:37 PM
Because the Emperor was a huge jerk.

Really, that's the only reason. As Luke warned him, his overconfidence was his downfall. He didn't warn the general Imperial troops because he'd stuck Lord Vader and five hundred stormtroopers down where the Rebels were going to attack, and he wanted to have everyone think things were going great until the moment when they weren't.

In the end, the only reason that the shield got blown up was because the Emperor didn't anticipate that the local lifeforms might have a say in what happened. The Rebels were caught by his men; it was the Ewoks that messed things up.

Gnoman
2012-08-14, 04:38 PM
There's two potential explanations that make more sense:

1. The Emperor was, in part, lying. The spies stole genuine information (rather than the planted sort), got caught, and he threw a trap into place. In this case, he wouldn't know which codes were stolen, just that some were.

2. He did plant the information, but didn't want to risk an alert Rebel spotting the alert and aborting the attack.

hamishspence
2012-08-14, 04:47 PM
Luring the Rebel fleet into the spot where they could be cornered and destroyed played a part.

Raimun
2012-08-14, 06:22 PM
You're asking why a Star Wars-villain made a plan that is needlessly complicated? :smalltongue:

nedz
2012-08-16, 07:18 PM
You're asking why a Star Wars-villain made a plan that is needlessly complicated? :smalltongue:

No, he's asking why a Star Wars-villain made a plan that was always going to fail in the last movie of he series. :smalltongue:

JCarter426
2012-08-16, 08:10 PM
The theft of the shuttle wasn't part of the Emperor's plan. It was Tarkin's personal shuttle, stolen by two rebels posing as Stormtroopers during their escape from the Death Star shortly before its destruction.

hamishspence
2012-08-17, 01:00 PM
If you're talking about Tag & Bink- they're non-canon. Hilarious- but non-canon.

Mando Knight
2012-08-17, 01:34 PM

Actually, neither required the shield to go down, but for the Rebels to try to bring the shield down. That one of the Empire's best legions would lose to a strike force supported by sapient teddy bears with rocks and spears was apparently inconceivable to the Emperor, partly on account of it being totally ridiculous.

Also, according to Leland Chee (keeper of the Holocron), the scenarios from Rogue Leader and X-Wing Alliance in which you steal the shuttle Tydirium are both canon. Somehow.

hamishspence
2012-08-17, 01:49 PM
In Choices of One Thrawn brings up the issue of unfriendly natives teaming up with the Rebels.

Emperor's response: "They don't like strangers. Any strangers"

rather than saying they're no threat.

Thinker
2012-08-17, 02:42 PM
In Choices of One Thrawn brings up the issue of unfriendly natives teaming up with the Rebels.

Emperor's response: "They don't like strangers. Any strangers"

rather than saying they're no threat.

That's true. The Ewoks wouldn't have helped the rebels if it wasn't for Han, Luke, etc. being captured and brought back as food and then C3PO being mistaken for a god.

hamishspence
2012-08-17, 02:47 PM
"Ewoks are a lot scarier than they look" was the theme in a Star Wars Tales comic: Apocalypse: Endor.

In a recent background book- The Essential Guide to Warfare- a former stormtrooper gives an account of events to a reporter:

And then it happened- the indigenes attacked.

I've seen the holo-thrillers, and those directors should admit they're paid to tell New Republic lies. They make those things- those Ewoks- look cute, like stuffed toys. I was there, Miss Towani. They weren't anything close to cute.

The first wave of troopers died with arrows through the gaps in their armour. The indigenes were primitive, but later I read about the bows they'd used, how they were engineered for immense leverage. I saw troopers falling with arrows that had gone completely through their throats. They were the lucky ones- some of our men took what looked like minor wounds, and minutes later were gasping for air. The aborigines had dipped their arrows in some kind of nerve toxin that paralysed every muscle in the body. Troopers that got hit suffocated because their lungs wouldn't work. I saw dying men staring into the sun, trying to blink.

Some of our men chased the indigenes into the woods and fell into hidden pits lined with stakes fixed into the ground. Scout troopers flew into trip wires that broke their necks. Elsewhere, the indigenes overpowered troopers through sheer numbers, holding them down until they go their helmets off and other aborigines could kill them with stone axes and knives made out of volcanic glass.

And every time one of our men fell, the indigenes had another blaster. They knew every tree and rock, and they picked us off one by one.

You look like you don't believe me, but I was there. I saw what those Ewoks did. The historians love to talk about alleged Imperial atrocities, but what about what I saw on the Forest Moon? They slaughtered us like animals, Miss Towani. Shouldn't that count as an atrocity?

Dienekes
2012-08-17, 06:39 PM
Yeah, they can try covering it up as much as they want. Ewoks are still remarkably dumb.

JCarter426
2012-08-17, 06:41 PM
If you're talking about Tag & Bink- they're non-canon. Hilarious- but non-canon.
It's canon... from a certain point of view. :smallwink:

Omergideon
2012-08-18, 04:06 PM
I would imagine that were the code not genuine the rebels in the shuttle would have simply fled and aborted the mission. Han and Chewie were prepping to do just that when they got waved through the Shield. And that was simply due to the time delay for the OK being sent through. The objective is 2 fold after all. First, prevent them bringing down the shield and second make sure they cannot warn their friends. I would imagine any trap set to catch them in orbit (like mentioned earlier in the thread) would need one of 2 things.

1) A very high ranking officer in on the trap plan being present at all times to make sure lowly officer 2234 won't screw things up. Or
2) Relatively widespread knowledge about there being a plan spread throughout the ship, at least in the shield protection group.

Both of these would be reasonably suspicious and increase the odds of premature discovery to intolerable levels considering the Rebels did have a good spy network. however by suckering in the Rebels to making their assault and then neutralising them with a lof of trained men you make them easy to find and track at minimal risk.

Besides the Emperors plan meant little to no risk of fleeing rebel commandos hiding on Endor, becoming an unknown factor who might do something stupid. Such as fly their shuttle into the transmitter and wrecking it that way.

A better plan may be devised than the Imperial one. But that one was a good and effective plan.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-08-18, 11:28 PM
"Ewoks are a lot scarier than they look" was the theme in a Star Wars Tales comic: Apocalypse: Endor.

In a recent background book- The Essential Guide to Warfare- a former stormtrooper gives an account of events to a reporter:

Miss Towani? As in Cindel Towani, the little girl from the live action Ewok movies? What'd she get up to after leaving the Forest Moon, anyway? :smallconfused:

hamishspence
2012-08-19, 05:00 AM
Became a reporter. She also is referred to, in passing, in the Black Fleet Crisis books.

Cikomyr
2012-08-21, 07:27 AM
It's canon... from a certain point of view. :smallwink:

I don't know.. it supposes the Empire doesn't have license plates for its High-Profile shuttles.

If I steal Obama's BWM, I sure hope police would identify me when I go through a roadcheck.