PDA

View Full Version : Memetic quotes you actually use in everyday life

Yora
2012-08-14, 11:46 AM
I was suprised when I saw that lots of anchorman images with the now famous line showed up in forums and blogs, and that it actually started fairly recently.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/370/837/82c.png
And it's actually misquoted. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7tgX_Uaqs)

I've been using that line for years and it's one of two scenes of the movie I have actually seen.

Billy Madison: "Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0)

There's a tonne of good ones in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Pretty much every single line makes awesome qutes. Since my mother is a pastor and all her coworkers and friends from university work for the church as well, Life of Brain gets quoted a lot by all of us at home all the time!
The german dub of "Shut up" from the opening scene is good for any situation in which you turn off an anoying noise. And also when you get pointless pop up error messages. It's "hold your cheeks", which is not an actual impression, so it's clear as a movie quote.
"One cross each."
"What have the Romans ever done for us?"
"Romans go home!" and "The vocative! The vocative!" for any comment on strange grammar.
"I didn't vote for you!"
"Fetchez la vache!" when you need to get anything.

And I have a habit to yell at video games, for which I use almost only quotes:
When playing strategy games and things get a bit chaotic and stuff gets destroyed faster than I can rebuild it. "Stop blowing holes in my X!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZlLOFDAfM)
In a similar way one from Red vs. Blue when getting to cover. Happens in Mass Effect and Halo all the time. "Crap, oh, craph, oh crap, oh crap, running, running, running, running, running!!!" And when you use a defensive item or get cover or get behind an allies vehicle "Protect me cone!" The series also made me appreciate the catchphrase "Son of a bitch!" as a general expression of suprise. :smallbiggrin:
I also like to shout "Burnination!" when using very efficient flame thrower spells and weapons in video games. Though I don't know where this is actually from.
Schwarzenegger movies are great when attacking enemies that have not yet detected you. "Como estas" and "Knock, knock" when jumping on them, and when NPCs start any dialog wth "Who are you" you can never go wrong with "I am the party pooper." When the dust settles, it's time for the entry line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BULVvXrACdk) from Boondook Saints 2. And sure, when you have to race to the finishing point of the level it's "Get to the chopper!!!"
Stupid AI-allies get this one from Final Fantasy X "Pick spot. Shut up. Wait."
Monty Python and the Holy Grail is great to discribe any monsters with "nasty big pointy teeth!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Mgx8Ytjag#t=32s) Also "look at the bones!"

Other great Schwarzenegger quotes: "There is no bathroom!" to end an argument.
And when I hate it when someone changed website layouts, or an auto-update replaced GUIs, or anything, I am with Stewie Griffin: "I don't like change!"

Inglenook
2012-08-14, 12:00 PM
Not necessarily popularly memetic, but:

"Come, Patsy." Directed at anyone I want to come, not just people named Patsy.

"Merry Christmas! Sh*tter was full!" is my standard holiday greeting. That or "Merry Christmas!" as squeaked by Casey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA7S88Qnzy0).

Occasionally when everyone is peering at the same thing I'll lean in and say in a breathy, sing-song voice, "It's a baaabyyy " I know I got it from somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Jim Gaffigan, maybe?

And whenever my brother goes to pick something up, I occasionally scream, "It's evil! Don't touch it!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6X9KcrXHwg) Oh, how we laugh!

Traab
2012-08-14, 01:30 PM
I keep paraphrasing Blade with, "Man, you are always ice skating uphill!" Since im saying that to my 90 year old grandmother, I cut out the profanity.

Karoht
2012-08-14, 05:04 PM
When fandumb gets exactly what they demanded last week, only to complain about it this week, I tend to respond with "I DON'T LIKE FOOD ANYMORE" and leave the discussion. Or I mention how "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" and leave.

Also, I find it hard not to say "the system is down" when my internet gets laggy or shuts off randomly. I also find it hard not to take that quote to it's inevitable musical conclussion.

Friv
2012-08-14, 05:33 PM
"Here, watch me tempt fate.

Could this day get any worse?

I said it ironically, so I think we're okay."

Siosilvar
2012-08-14, 05:58 PM
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

"You presume too much."

"This X is problematic."

I know there are a couple more I use, but I seem to have lost them when I opened the reply box. They'll come to me eventually.

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-14, 05:59 PM
The obviousness of "I have a bad feeling about this", "That's no moon!" and "what's the worst that could happen" kind of make it all the better when I can sneak them into conversation.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-08-14, 06:04 PM
Eeyup. tenchars.

Siosilvar
2012-08-14, 06:06 PM
Eeyup.

:smallamused: Of course you would.

"20% cooler" works its way into my speech every now and then.

Eldan
2012-08-14, 06:14 PM
I'm 30% "20% cooler"!

Raimun
2012-08-14, 06:36 PM
If I ever quote something, it's something a bit more obscure than "arrow to the knee" or something. Like. That.

Sometimes I quote myself.

Who am I kidding. I might still quote Monty Python.

Karoht
2012-08-14, 07:51 PM
I'm 30% "20% cooler"!
Nice!

I don't always quote Homestarrunner dot net.
But when I do, its dot com.

McStabbington
2012-08-14, 11:11 PM
"It's not the years; it's the mileage."
--Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My friends are starting to hit their 30's, which means that I've started to hear people complaining about their age. This is a handy way of reminding them that they are, with rare exception, physically fit upper middle-class adults who have never lived a day in poverty, quarantine or a war zone.

"I'll be in my bunk."
--Jayne Cobb, Firefly

Self-Explanatory.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
--Ellen Ripley, Aliens

In keeping with Varsuuvius' First Law of Social Dynamics, you'd be surprised how few situations this quote actually can't apply, at least in theory.

"General, we are for the big."
--Obi-Won Kenobi, Revenge of the Sith, as re-translated by Chinese bootleggers in The Backstroke of the West.

A general statement of affirmation and can-do spirit. My friends and I used it for such varying situations as weddings, graduations and the election of President Obama.

Logic
2012-08-14, 11:20 PM
"There aren't the droids you're looking for" has got to be the big one for me.

"I fart in your general direction!" is a close second.

INoKnowNames
2012-08-15, 02:04 AM
Lets see...

Come at me Bro!

O U So Curleh/Pringles Were Yo Mustache At!

Derp.

Those a few from the top of my head, I probably use more.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-08-15, 04:09 AM

:smallbiggrin:

I only rarely manage to work that one into a conversation. "Ten seconds flat" and "For-EVERRRRR" get a lot more mileage. I'm also quite fond of "monitor everything", although that one is less memetic.

Yora
2012-08-15, 05:15 AM
Quote all the memes!

Yora
2012-08-15, 05:22 AM
The obviousness of "I have a bad feeling about this"
This one gets even spoofed in Jedi Knight 3

Luke: "I sense a disturbance in the force."
Kyle: "You always sense a disturbance in the force. But this time I feel it, too."

I didn't watch the last big football tournament (not even sure of Euro or World), but where I live there's lots of students appartments facing a central courtyard, so you hear when someone is shouting and having windows open.
In one German forum, someone put my post into his signature:
"I sense a disturbance in the force. As if millions cried out in terror and where suddenly silenced. Is Germany about to lose a match?" :smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2012-08-15, 05:28 AM

I managed to use this within the last five hours. And ten seconds flat. And it wasn't even intentional,it just sort of fit the conversation. I was surprised and chagrined.

Quote all the memes!

I'm guilty here, too, but only because of Yana! Detonate all the biotics and such. Along with blocking all those bullets. With my face!

Admittedly something I'd rather not have to admit to...

Friendship is magic has a surprising amount of use. And "sequence and order, time and stress" although it is far from memetic. Poor Amberite, that.

Morph Bark
2012-08-15, 05:29 AM
I wonder how many of the above are actual memes.

I use "I REGRET NOTHING!" a lot, especially as a (post-)battlecry.

thubby
2012-08-15, 05:30 AM
"i reject your reality and substitute my own"
gets thrown around whenever someone screws up their classwork.

"all of my wut"
similarly

Yora
2012-08-15, 05:32 AM
I wonder how many of the above are actual memes.

I use "I REGRET NOTHING!" a lot, especially as a (post-)battlecry.
Well, technically everything that is recognized or immitated by just a second person is it.

For the purpose here, I guess it's good enough when you think it's a line that at least some people would recognize and get the joke.

I regret nothing is a great one, and a classic. I looked it up a bit and it became a quote after a french foreign legion regiment was disbanded after an attempted coup in the Algerian war of Independence.

Tiki Snakes
2012-08-15, 05:43 AM
This one gets even spoofed in Jedi Knight 3

Luke: "I sense a disturbance in the force."
Kyle: "You always sense a disturbance in the force. But this time I feel it, too."

That's less about spoofing the line though and more about that detestable mary sue trying to one-up Luke.

Which is to say I enjoyed the game, but certain moments like that did rather dissapoint me.

Eldan
2012-08-15, 09:34 AM
Surprisingly, many of mine are from futurama.

"I am X% Y" comes up ever so often amongst scientists. Especially when you are discussing contents.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore", as well.

And of course, everyone knows Monty Python.

Suichimo
2012-08-15, 10:26 AM
"i reject your reality and substitute my own"
gets thrown around whenever someone screws up their classwork.

All though I love Adam:

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Maxios
2012-08-15, 10:39 AM
Well, I say McLoving a lot. Does that count?

ForzaFiori
2012-08-15, 02:18 PM
Lets see, I use "I don't wanna live on this planet anymore", and "It's got sharp, pointy teeth" (complete with the hand movements), "Damn it [name], i'm a [profession], not an [other profession" (this is used by alot of people I know actually), "I reject your reality and substitute my own", "She turned me into a newt!... I got better." (when someone asks what happened), and the "forever" line from Sandlot comes up probably once a week in my house

Yora
2012-08-15, 03:13 PM
Surprisingly, many of mine are from futurama.

"...with blackjack and hookers!"

pita
2012-08-15, 04:48 PM
My personal favorite is one that hasn't been memed:
"If you guys were the inventors of facebook, you would've invented facebook". I use it all of the time to describe certain things. Greatest sentence ever.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-08-15, 05:51 PM
"...with blackjack and hookers!"

An all-time favourite.

Candle Jack
2012-08-15, 07:03 PM
I tend to mutter "F***ing savages in this town" from Clerks whenever the behaviour of my fellow townsfolk irks me.

I also frequently groan and mutter dejectedly "I wish I was dead" whenever I have some unpleasant chore to finish. It's a reference to the Simpsons episode where Bart became the "I didn't do it" kid.

Marillion
2012-08-15, 09:22 PM
Profession! Noun! Adjective! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZAJJXK41ZA)

Traab
2012-08-15, 09:30 PM
I say this every time I hurt myself. FUNKY BUTT LOVIN! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nd693I5X1E)

Starscream
2012-08-15, 09:40 PM
(Whenever something technical goes wrong)
"What sorcery is this?!"
-Gargoyles

(Expressions of exasperation or confusion)
"Blerg!" & "Whuck?!"
-30 Rock

(In response to an accidental double entendre)
"Phrasing!"
-Archer

(When delivering bad news)
"Good news, everyone!"
-Futurama

(When bored)
"Asobitai!" [I wanna play!]
-Originally from K-On, but I learned it from Lucky Star

Maxios
2012-08-15, 09:49 PM
YOU DID WELL!
Heavy, Team Fortress 2

Yora
2012-08-16, 05:59 AM
(When delivering bad news)
"Good news, everyone!"
-Futurama
I use it for good ones, but it's still a great line.

It's a reference to the Simpsons episode where Bart became the "I didn't do it" kid.
Which is actually a quite good one in itself. We used it a lot in school some 15 years ago, or whenever that was.

"Shut the f*** up, Donny!"

"If my calculations are correct, when .... we gonna see some serious ****!"

"Screw you guys im goin home" ☞( ヮ )☞

My brother often shouts "bad kitty!" at our cat.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 06:31 AM
I only remember this one in German, but here's my lousy back-translation:

"Nothing is impossible, as long as you can imagine it! That is what makes a true scientist!"

Whenever you run out of hypotheses that are even remotely close to anything previously established as likely and have to come up with what we scientists call "Weird ****".

Suichimo
2012-08-16, 09:26 AM
I've also started mulling around the idea of using "Boopin'" and "Seven Asses" as part of my regular vocabulary.

Yora
2012-08-16, 11:20 AM
Somehow I started to refer to any video game melee sneak attack as shanking. And neither the word nor even the concept exist in my own language and I don't watch or play any "gangster" stuff. I wonder where I picked that up.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-16, 11:22 AM
"I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

"Shut up and take my money."

Futurama is very useful for everyday life, even the seasons I haven't actually watched yet.

Yora
2012-08-16, 11:31 AM
Thanks, for posting, Nerdorama. Now I remember what line I wanted to post earlier but forgot when I klicked new post.

"Super Special Awesome Plot Twist!"

theduck
2012-08-16, 01:32 PM
"I can do nuthinin' for ya, son"

True Grit - Useful in a wide range of situations

"Are you not entertained?"

Gladiator - Not really sure why this one comes up as often as it does, but it is always strangely satisfying to use?

"The Dude abides."

The Big Lebowski

Karoht
2012-08-16, 04:56 PM
@Futurama

"Oh wait, you were serious. Here, let me laugh even harder."

Eldan
2012-08-16, 04:59 PM
"Friends! And Zoidberg!"