PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Home brew Ideas - Critic needed.

XnOs
2012-08-15, 07:14 AM
Hey everyone!
I am making this thread, hoping to get constructive feedback om my various ideas and thoughts.

The scenario i am writing will take place in a big city in the Material Plane.

Idea 1. Magic Ban / restrictions:
The government/King has sensors that tell if someone uses magic, and a squad will be formed and send out to investigate the matter, whenever magic is used.

It is possible to avoid getting noticed, but you will have to make a Concentration or Spellcraft check.
- The check will increase with the level of the spell used.
- Specialized schools could perhaps get an advantage.
- The check would also get easier to pass when you got further away from the sensors.

The sensors could either be some kind of towers, or a gathering of mages.

I need an equation for this spellcheck.
Taking in consideration:
- The distance from the sensors.
- The level of the spell.
- The spellcaster level of the caster.

Maybe there could be handed out licenses to using magic to the Mages of the Army.
Maybe lesser licenses could be sold to the public requiring a background check on the person.
This would make it easier for the paty mage/cleric since such licences could be looted from the enemies.

Idea 2. Racism:
The society looks down upon creatures with shorter lifespans.

This would of cause increase as you got into the center of the town, where the royals and rich lives.

From the outskirts where lowlifes live, and think they should be equal to everyone in the world to the center where the rich and royal barely recognizes the existence of the creatures beneath them.

The public would be mixed, but there would still be racism.

The racism does not have to be THAT dominating, but it could be a nice touch.

A question:
I need a race that has a long lifespan and fits a leader.

I am considering on revealing a corruption within the leaders of the city later on. this should be taken into consideration.

The leader does not have to be from the material plane.

Kholai
2012-08-15, 07:29 AM
Hey everyone!
I am making this thread, hoping to get constructive feedback om my various ideas and thoughts.

The scenario i am writing will take place in a big city in the Material Plane.

Idea 1. Magic Ban / restrictions:
The government/King has sensors that tell if someone uses magic, and a squad will be formed and send out to investigate the matter, whenever magic is used.

It is possible to avoid getting noticed, but you will have to make a Concentration or Spellcraft check.
- The check will increase with the level of the spell used.
- Specialized schools could perhaps get an advantage.
- The check would also get easier to pass when you got further away from the sensors.

The sensors could either be some kind of towers, or a gathering of mages.

I need an equation for this spellcheck.
Taking in consideration:
- The distance from the sensors.
- The level of the spell.
- The spellcaster level of the caster.

Maybe there could be handed out licenses to using magic to the Mages of the Army.
Maybe lesser licenses could be sold to the public requiring a background check on the person.
This would make it easier for the paty mage/cleric since such licences could be looted from the enemies.

Idea 2. Racism:
The society looks down upon creatures with shorter lifespans.

This would of cause increase as you got into the center of the town, where the royals and rich lives.

From the outskirts where lowlifes live, and think they should be equal to everyone in the world to the center where the rich and royal barely recognizes the existence of the creatures beneath them.

The public would be mixed, but there would still be racism.

The racism does not have to be THAT dominating, but it could be a nice touch.

A question:
I need a race that has a long lifespan and fits a leader.

I am considering on revealing a corruption within the leaders of the city later on. this should be taken into consideration.

The leader does not have to be from the material plane.

1: Spot checks give a -1 per 10'. This is a magical sensor so assuming a common distance of 100' between sensors a 20 + Spell Level DC Spellcraft would be enough to conceal casting. For every 10' you're closer than 100' to a sensor, at +1 to the DC, every 10' further, drop the DC by 1.

2: Elans live forever, and don't need to eat or drink.

XnOs
2012-08-15, 07:36 AM
1: Spot checks give a -1 per 10'. This is a magical sensor so assuming a common distance of 100' between sensors a 20 + Spell Level DC Spellcraft would be enough to conceal casting. For every 10' you're closer than 100' to a sensor, at +1 to the DC, every 10' further, drop the DC by 1.

2: Elans live forever, and don't need to eat or drink.

I was thinking having only one sensor in the middle of the town, so that the dc was at its highest when you got close to the the midst of the city! But your idea is interesting as well!

In which book can i find Elans? :)

What do you think of the thoughts I've made, would they work in practice, and do you like em as a concept?

Thanks for your quick respond! Much appreciated ! :)

X's n O's - XnOs.

Kholai
2012-08-15, 08:17 AM
If you want a larger sensor with a wider network, then just multiply the scale by twenty or more. 2000' away for DC 20, +1 for every 200' closer, -1 for every 200' further away and so on.

Elans are in the Expanded Psionics handbook I believe, or in the SRD here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans

Concept sounds good, I assume it's a political rather than hard restriction on mages, and they'd need to discard licenses pretty quickly after using them, because they're going to be hot the moment that someone finds the body or they don't report in.

Racism angle is fine too, sort of reminiscent of Foundation.

XnOs
2012-08-15, 08:42 AM
Yes, a somewhat political restriction on magic! Kind of a way to keep the citizens from raising up and go against the king.
(I am not sure if i understood your question about the ban being political correctly) :)

I was thinking that the licenses could be temporary, so that the caster of the group would gain a temporary free pass on magic usage when gaining one.

You are suggesting the sensor check to be spellcraft! Which also crossed my mind, but what if the caster is a cleric with low spellcraft? :)

Vadskye
2012-08-15, 10:24 AM
You are suggesting the sensor check to be spellcraft! Which also crossed my mind, but what if the caster is a cleric with low spellcraft? :)

All casters, including clerics, have Spellcraft as a class skill. If the caster has a slow Spellcraft, he clearly doesn't care very much about concealing his casting!

Kholai
2012-08-15, 10:38 AM
Yes, a somewhat political restriction on magic! Kind of a way to keep the citizens from raising up and go against the king.
(I am not sure if i understood your question about the ban being political correctly) :)

I was thinking that the licenses could be temporary, so that the caster of the group would gain a temporary free pass on magic usage when gaining one.

By political, I mean as a soft restriction to magic that is for RP purposes, rather than something intended to seriously restrict spellcasters.

And for the licenses, I'd suspect that each license would be keyed uniquely, and should the holder of the license be found deceased, then the one using that license would be priority #1 for law enforcement, another RP trouble spot.

The only core classes without Spellcraft are Paladins and Rangers, who have other, non-magical, jobs to do, so this shouldn't be a problem.

XnOs
2012-08-15, 11:39 AM
It is not intended to seriously restrict spellcasters, but it would be needed for them to use magic with caution.

As an example, they should avoid using it at their hideout as it had a slight chance to out their position. Also, if they use a big amount of magic, they should avoid hanging around too long, as it would be quickly followed up by a search team of sorts.

It could also be used to lure guards into a trap of sorts.

Keying all the licenses uniquely is a good idea!:)

Thank you both for your feedback!:) It is greatly appreciated, as i am in fact writing this scenario at the moment.

X's n O's! :)

XnOs
2012-08-15, 11:50 AM
I have considered Elans, and i don't think i will be going with that race. Since they aren't known by me nor my players.

What other candidates would you suggest? :)

Kholai
2012-08-15, 11:57 AM
If you're going for another preternaturally long-lived race, you could have an actual Faerie court in the town. Fey live for pretty much ever, and have a lot of faces where it comes to potential ruling classes.

Dragons fairly stereotypically have a thing against the short-lived races, a council of "ancients" (polymorphed dragons) wouldn't go amiss.

Finally there's always elves.

XnOs
2012-08-15, 12:10 PM
Okay thanks for your great responses mate! I am truly appreciating it. It has helped me a lot! :smallsmile::smallbiggrin:

Another aspect of the scenario, i thought of:
Some kind of arena where prisoners and poor people could fight to the death for the entertainment of the royal and rich.
The poor but free people attending would get paid a little.

I am thinking that the players could meet up there, and it would also be a great place for a rescue mission later on.

I have many thoughts, and getting your experienced guidance means a lot to me! When i get the experience, i will be sure to give back to the community! :)

X's n O's :)

XnOs
2012-08-15, 12:29 PM
Another question: Should there be a visual effect of when the sensors are picking up on something? :)

I am thinking it could help the players.