PDA

View Full Version : Ten Favorite Superhero Movies?

Empedocles
2012-08-16, 12:44 AM
Just curious as to what superhero movies - I'd prefer live action ones, although The Incredibles is somewhere on my list - people enjoyed, and I'd like to format it as a top 10 thing.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-16, 01:15 AM
I don't think there has been enough good ones to make a top ten list.

Velaryon
2012-08-16, 01:23 AM
In the order I thought of them:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight
Mystery Men
Kick-Ass
Batman Begins
Batman (1989)
Superman 2
X-Men: First Class
Captain America
Iron Man

Honorable Mentions: Sky High, Iron Man 2

Selrahc
2012-08-16, 01:28 AM

Critical consensus certainly says there has been. Sam Raimi's Spiderman 1 and 2, the Tim Burton Bat Films, the Christopher Nolan Bat Films, the current Marvelverse movies, Superman 1 (and to a lesser extent 2), X-Men 1, 2 and First Class, Blade and more all got decent to good reviews. Then you have movies from outside the DC/Marvel dipole like Unbreakable, Kick-Ass, Watchmen, Incredibles, Hellboy, Tank Girl, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow and many others that at least loosely fall into the superhero genre.

Avilan the Grey
2012-08-16, 01:28 AM
Avengers
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Incredibles
Megamind
Mystery Men
Captain America - Last Avenger
Spider Man (1)
The Dark Knight

Zevox
2012-08-16, 01:40 AM
The Avengers
Iron Man
The Incredibles
Thor
Iron Man 2

...that's about it for me. From there you get into superhero movies I thought were only mediocre to okay (i.e. X-Men 1 & 2, Green Lantern) or ones I haven't seen (most of the rest). I don't watch many movies, and while most of the ones that I see in recent years have been superhero ones, I'm still picky about which of those I see, as I'm often just not interested in particular characters, like Batman, Captain America, or Spider-Man.

Zevox

Velaryon
2012-08-16, 01:46 AM
Critical consensus certainly says there has been. Sam Raimi's Spiderman 1 and 2, the Tim Burton Bat Films, the Christopher Nolan Bat Films, the current Marvelverse movies, Superman 1 (and to a lesser extent 2), X-Men 1, 2 and First Class, Blade and more all got decent to good reviews. Then you have movies from outside the DC/Marvel dipole like Unbreakable, Kick-Ass, Watchmen, Incredibles, Hellboy, Tank Girl, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow and many others that at least loosely fall into the superhero genre.

I forgot about Watchmen! That should go on my list as well, maybe in place of Iron Man. I never thought of TMNT as superheroes, but I suppose they technically qualify, and the first TMNT movie was and remains awesome. I've still never seen The Incredibles so I can't put that one on my list.

Empedocles
2012-08-16, 01:49 AM

I mean, I guess you could just mean you don't like superhero movies...but there's certainly been enough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films) of them.

My list:

10. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I might receive some heat for this, but I loved this movie. Captain Nemo was legendary, and it was just all around fun.

9. The Cape. More heat. This is technically a TV show, but whatever :smalltongue: In my opinion, a massively underrated TV show from this past year.

8. Kick-Ass. HA! This was hilarious and felt like a brilliant spoof of the genre the way movies like Mystery Men were...but it was still a good, real superhero movie. Good stuff.

7. Batman Begins. While it can't really compare to the Dark Knight, Batman begins remains one of my all time favorites for really cementing the character of Batman for me.

6. X-2. The X-Men trilogy got off to a shaky start - and finish - but right in the middle was this brilliant, brilliant gem where every single character shone through wonderfully. Maybe the fact that the series was never tied together kept this on the lower end of my list...

5. Hellboy. I LOVED this movie. So epic. So funny.

4. Watchmen. This was almost the Dark Knight for me...but the darkness was just pushed a little too far. I still love it though.

3. Spider-Man 2. While the original Spider-man was great fun and all, the second, much like with X-Men, was a true masterpiece within the trilogy.

2. Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. was born to be Iron Man.

1. The Dark Knight. The greatest villain of all time, and a brilliant performance. Heath Ledger R.I.P.

eyeofsaulot
2012-08-16, 01:50 AM

Really? I had to cheat to make room for more movies in my list. Then again, I enjoy the serious ones as well as some of the more light-hearted ones.

1. The Crow
2. The Incredibles
3. Batman / Batman Returns
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
5. Batman Begins / The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
6. X-Men / X2
7. Blade / Blade II
8. The Avengers
9. Iron Man / Iron Man 2
10. Thor

Honorable mention:
Hellboy / Hellboy II: The Golden Army

In a different mood, I'm sure the order could be significantly altered, but it'd be the same group of movies at least. Kind of sad that the only series that stayed list-worthy through the third installment was Nolan's Batman.

Side note: I Haven't seen Kick-Ass, any of the animated Batman movies, The Amazing Spider-man, or Defendor. I'm looking forward to Dredd, any upcoming movies in the Avengers continuity, Man of Steel, and the untitled Justice League movie.

Empedocles
2012-08-16, 02:48 AM
Side note: I Haven't seen Kick-Ass, any of the animated Batman movies, The Amazing Spider-man, or Defendor. I'm looking forward to Dredd, any upcoming movies in the Avengers continuity, Man of Steel, and the untitled Justice League movie.

I'm pretty excited for the Dredd movie too. Farther off, I can't wait to see the Black Panther movie.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 06:06 AM
I wasn't sure if I had even seen Ten Superhero Movies, but the list seems to go to 10.

Instead of a top ten, I'll just divide them into categories:

Really Good:
The Avengers, Thor

Good:
The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Iron Man, X-Men First Class, Watchmen

Meh:
The Hulk, Iron Man 2, all three X-Men movies, Captain America, Dark Knight Rises, Batman

Really Bad:
Can't think of any

There's probably more, but that's fifteen so far.

Edit: If the Hellboy movies count, they go right to the top.

Yora
2012-08-16, 06:19 AM
1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man

The only superhero movies I like.

tomswift123
2012-08-16, 06:55 AM
The Dark Knight
Spiderman
Iron Man
Superman
Thor
Captain America
The Incredible Hulk
Green Lantern
Fantastic Four
and
Kick Ass

DiscipleofBob
2012-08-16, 09:00 AM
10. Ghost Rider - Say what you will. Ghost Rider does suck if you take it completely seriously, but come on. We're talking about a "superhero" who's a flaming skull-headed biker. How can this not be the greatest campy thing ever? The scene where Ghost Rider rides out of the river on his demonic motorcycle laughing maniacally while flipping off the cops, great. Had just enough action and humor.

9. X-Men - It's not a movie that's aged well. I'm still bitter about the X-Men trilogy turned into "There are X-Men other than Wolverine? Nevermind them, let's all talk about how great Wolverine is." It was forgivable for one movie, and this was one of the two movies that kickstarted the superhero genre for the 2000's, the other being Spider-Man, and although the plot revolved mostly around Wolverine and Rogue, there was at least some attention paid to the other characters.

8. Watchmen - For anyone who thinks superheroes have to be silly action movies, Watchmen showed just how grimdark the genre could go. Never read the comic and I understand there are a great many purists, including the author himself, but I think Watchmen took us to the extreme we needed to go to define the genre.

7. Captain America - My least favorite of the Avengers-lead-in movies (except for Hulk and Iron Man 2 if they really count). It was still good, but I just felt underwhelmed after Iron Man and Thor. My wife, a history-buff, loved this one the most, and according to her, everything not explicitly comic-related was absolutely historically correct, from the dusty old shop, the buttons on the soldiers' uniforms, to the campy propaganda bit. My biggest complaint with the movie was the overuse of montages. The whole thing felt rushed. I mean I know they have to fit the whole story of Captain America into one movie to get prepared for the Avengers, but the propaganda bit went on way too long and there was no reason taking down all of HYDRA needed to be quickly montaged through. There never should have been dozens of factories for Cap to take down unless this was a video game.

6. Thor - I was worried about this movie going in, but pleasantly surprised. They managed to balance the original mythology with the comic mythos with modern earth very well. What I thought was going to look more like Norse Disneyland, well... admittedly still looked like Norse Disneyland, but in an internally consistent way so my suspension of disbelief wasn't broken. Thor's journey from bratty immature god-king to humbled mortal back to righteous champion was very well done, the action was great, and there were a lot of memorable moments.

5. The Incredibles - Pixar is very good at exploring the subject matter of whatever movie they're doing, so their story about a family of superheroes was a slam dunk. They cover everything from the lives and internal thoughts of superpowered people to the ramifications of their actions to the life of a retired superhero and what that must be like. Also deconstructs the badass normal type of hero that we normally root for with guys like Batman and Iron Man with Syndrome.

4. Batman Begins - Proof that a superhero movie could be serious and well-done, that it can be realistic. By far redefined Batman and lifted the Schumacher stigma. The buildup to Bruce's transformation to Batman was fantastic, and the first time Batman appears and roars at a frightened criminal was awe-inspiring. Sure the whole trilogy was a bit ham-fisted in its intended message and there are plenty of plot holes once you sit down and look for them, but that doesn't change the fact that while you were watching this movie, you believed in Batman.

3. Iron Man X-Men and Spider-Man kickstarted the superhero genre for the 2000's, but Iron Man showed it could be done well. I attribute this completely to Robert Downey Jr's performance, though Pepper was awesome as well. Action-packed, hilarious, Downey shows the superhero we really want to see, right down to authentically witty banter instead of extremely forced puns and dialogue. This is what a superhero movie should be.

2. The Dark Knight - Everything in this movie was spectacular. I don't blame Bale for Batman's overdone growl as that was a sound-editing thing, but Bale's great as usual at showing us the three personas: the vigilante terror Batman, the worthless playboy Bruce, and the troubled struggling human Bruce. It also redefined the Joker with Ledger's performance, showing just how broken and insane the world can truly get, the best part was that Joker's actions, motives, and history were never explained. Like he just came into existence as a diseased maniac. But my favorite actor of the movie was Eckhart. The rise and fall of Harvey Dent into Two-Face may have been drawn out, but you could feel every bit of sympathy for the man as everything he loved was ripped away from him.

1. Avengers - X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman Begins and Iron Man were all responsible in some way for kickstarting or defining the superhero genre. Thor, Captain America, etc. were all great movies in their own right, but the Avengers wasn't great because it redefined the genre. It was great because this is what all the superhero movies of the past two decades has led up to. This is the absolute pinnacle, the top achievement of the genre. We got Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Nick Fury, and more characters all very hard to write a group dynamic with due to their respective egos clashing. This could very easily have been a flop, but it wasn't. I'd go so far as to call it absolutely perfect. This was not an easy movie to accomplish. It had to survive Iron Man 2, the various fiascos in the Hulk movie franchise, numerous campy pieces of crap like Fantastic Four 2 that could have ruined the genre. Instead, the fans and Hollywood stuck with it, and this is the masterpiece of the superhero genre. The Starry Night of Van Gogh, the Sistine Chapel of Michelangelo, etcetera. I have no idea if they can or if it's even possible to pull off the same level for the sequel, but I'm crossing my fingers.

TheTick
2012-08-16, 09:06 AM
DiscipleOfBob's list is pretty solid, though I'd probably fit in Hellboy in place of The Watchmen or Ghost Rider. Think I like The Incredible Hulk more than you too but it's tough to fit them all in.

Athayan
2012-08-16, 09:09 AM
Very surprised by those that say there have not been many good SH movies. I had trouble picking just 10 good SH movies.

1. Avengers
2. Hellboy
3. Batman Begins (yes, I actually like this more than Dark Knight)

Those are easily my top 3. 4 thru 10 can be mostly interchanged.

4. Blade
5. Iron Man
6. Captain America
7. Constantine
8. Spider Man 2
9. Watchmen
10. X-Men 2

SlayerScott
2012-08-16, 10:00 AM
Alright, this is way more than 10 but I made this list a while back and it might help inspire people who can't think of all the movies that were based on comics. I'm also a comic book geek and a huge fan of the genre so my opinions are colored similarly.

Best – The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Sin City, Blade, X2, X-Men First Class, Hellboy, 300, The Crow, Avengers

Great – Thor, X-Men, Hulk (Ang Lee, Eric Bana), Watchmen, Batman, Batman Begins, Blade 2, Hellboy 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, V For Vendetta, Spider-Man 1&2, Red, Spawn, Tank Girl, Weird Science, Speed Racer, The Dark Knight Rises

Watchable – X-Men 3, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton), Fantastic 4 1 & 2, Iron Man 2, A History of Violence, Green Lantern, Batman Returns, Constantine, Wolverine:Origins, The Losers, 30 Days of Night, Cowboys and Aliens, The Mask, Immortal, Men In Black, Men in Black 2

Suck – League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Superman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Punisher, Scott Pilgrim, Kick Ass, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3, Wanted, Catwoman, Daredevil, Elektra, Judge Dredd, Mystery Men, Unbreakable

I may have given extra props to Dark Knight Rises and Avengers because I saw them recently and they haven’t had time to settle into their place in the genre, and I just added them to the list. There's a few that aren't exactly SuperHero - 30 Days of Night, History of Violence, RED - but they're all comic book movies.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 10:33 AM
A question to ask here: Superhero movie, or comic book movie?

Because while Sin City, Hellboy, V for Vendetta, 300 or 30 days of Night were all based on comic books (with various quality), I wouldn't call them Superhero movies, exactly.

Also, Men in Black? That was, as far as I know, an original franchise.

From all those I've seen on Slayer Scott's list, I would call 300 by far the worst. I switched it off soon after the actual battle started, it was so incredibly tedious and boring.

SlayerScott
2012-08-16, 10:38 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/MenInBlack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_in_Black_(comics)

DiscipleofBob
2012-08-16, 11:12 AM
I liked both the Hulk movies, it's just that neither really stood out among the crowd to me. Same with Hellboy. Watchable and enjoyable enough, but just didn't bring anything to the table that stuck out among the rest.

I didn't consider Scott Pilgrim to be a superhero movie. If I did, it'd be towards the top of my list. If we were doing top movies of all time, there's a good chance it'd be in the top 5 at least.

I should note that I haven't seen X-Men First Class. I don't think I could give it a fair shot after being burned by X2, X3, and Wolverine Origins, which is unfortunate because I've heard really good things about it.

I liked League of Extraordinary Gentleman, so sue me. Just not in my top 10. Same with Daredevil and Batman Forever.

Fantastic Four was... pretty bad, but was worth it for Dr. Doom. Fantastic Four 2 was not worth it, not even for Doom.

Talya
2012-08-16, 11:17 AM
1. The Avengers
2. The Incredibles
3. Iron Man
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Captain America
6. Thor
7. Batman Begins
8. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
9. The Dark Knight
10. X-Men 2

Also, the question was Superhero Movies, not comic book movies. As such, The Incredibles qualifies (original property about superheroes), but Men in Black or 300 (comic-book based movies not about superheroes) do not.

McStabbington
2012-08-16, 11:34 AM
10. Blade
9. X-Men 2
8. Kick-Ass
7. The Avengers
6. Superman
5. Sin City
4. Spiderman 2
3. Unbreakable
2. The Dark Knight
1. The Incredibles

There's the definitive list for the superhero genre. There are plenty of great movies that didn't make the list, as well as many that are significantly underrated, but as far as superhero films are concerned, if you watch those ten, you'll have a good understanding of the genre.

Maxios
2012-08-16, 12:12 PM
10. The Dark Knight (It's a good movie, but I still don't understand why everyone made such a big deal about it)
9. Spider-Man (I loved this movie when I was younger, but I've seen better superhero films now)
8. X-Men 2 (a bit better then the first, a lot better then the third)
7. The Incredible Hulk
6. Thor (Pretty good, acting got a bit hammy at times)
5. Captain America (Pretty awesome)
4. Green Hornet (It made me laugh. Repeatedly.)
3. Iron Man 2 (Really showed us the man underneath the armor)
2. The Avengers (Funny and action-packed)
1. Watchmen (I absolutely love the comic, and I really love this movie, the Extended Director's Cut even more so. If there were only two movies I could ever watch in my entire life, those two movies would be Watchmen and Superbad)

Dienekes
2012-08-16, 01:31 PM
10: Kick Ass: An odd, mish mash of a film that I find utterly enjoyable. It's stupid violence, and revels in it.

9: Batman: Let me be clear, you watch this movie to see Jack Nicholson act like Jack Nicholson in face paint. That's it. However, I really enjoy watching Jack Nicholson act like Jack Nicholson in face paint.

8: Superman I and II: I decided to put both of these together, because while Superman I is undoubtedly the better film, I preferred Superman II. Why? SII has Zod, and Zod is awesome.

7: V for Vendetta: As to whether it's a super hero movie. A man is given advanced mental capabilities and reflexes from a government experiment and uses this to fight the injustice of his time. Sounds like a super hero to me. Now this was a pretty good film, and I really enjoy it, despite a plot hole or two. But it really doesn't hold a candle to the comic.

6: Iron Man: The start of the Avengers tie ins. Robert Downey Jr hit it out of the ball park with this one. It seemed to blend some of the grittiness of the Dark Knight saga with the camp of the earlier X-Men/Spiderman flicks into something very clever.

5: Captain America The First Avenger: I personally thought this was the best of the Avenger tie-in movies. Well, best might be a bit of a stretch, but the one I enjoyed the most. Sure, parts of it felt rushed, and the ending with the plane is prone to some fridge logic but nothing made me take notice while actually watching it. It's the story about a good guy who fights super-Nazi's it's campy, it's fun, and it has Tommy Lee Jones being awesome.

4: The Crow: A great movie, dark, brooding, and highly entertaining. Now I can't really talk too much on this one, as I only remember seeing it once years ago, but I remember really enjoying it. Even if it did have a kid sidekick that didn't do anything.

3: Mask of the Phantasm/Return of the Joker/Under the Red Hood: Back when I was a wee little kid, I watched Batman: The Animated Series. And it was awesome, and got me interested in Batman and superheroes ever since. I still watch that show from time to time, that's how good I think it is. That show has movies, now I could have split these three movies around but this thread seems more about live action so I'm going to put them all in one big group. Now, technically I think Phantasm might be a cut below the other two, because it wasted too much time on a romance I knew was doomed and didn't care about, but it was still awesome. And on the same note, Return of the Joker ends pretty weird when they're explaining everything, but I had more fun with it throughout. Then UtRH technically isn't even in the DCAU, but it's so good I had to add it anyway. So yes, these three movies are amazing, and deserve their place on my list.

2: Avengers: This was a big, dumb, summer romp. But it was a good big, dumb, summer romp. Let's be clear here, I watched this movie to see characters I've grown up with share witty banter and beat the crap out of everything within a 5 mile radius. This movie delivered, and delivered good. That said, it will always be #2 because there were a few scenes that really snapped me out of my enjoyment going "What? No." They were the Shadowy Council of Shadows deciding to nuke Manhattan, before sending in the normal military, or anything. We were watching the effectiveness of human weapons against the aliens. They were actually holding off rather well. Why? Then there was the aliens switch off ship. I hate when this comes up. It's stupid, and it's lazy. There was no reason to think that would happen at all, ever presented in the movie. The aliens weren't depicted as somehow non-organic or requiring signals to function, it was just dumb. But despite it, I really enjoyed the movie.

1: The Dark Knight: I love this movie. For me it's up there with the Godfather I and II when it comes to watch-ability. The pacing was good, the acting was great, and the story was interesting. I'm also one of those who was never bothered by the Batman Growl. When it was pointed out to me that it could be funny, I agreed, but when I'm watching it I had no problem deciphering what he was saying and thought it reasonably disguised his voice. Anyway, it was fun, thought provoking, and interesting form beginning to end. Also, do I need to say anything about the Joker? 'Cause I can, for a very long time. Alright, pull my arm and there were moments I thought were odd [I yelled at Batman to stop talking to the girl and go back up to the penthouse before the Joker kills anyone when I first saw it],but nothing like the scenes in the Avengers to really take me out of the moment.

Honorable Mentions: The Dark Knight Rises, the Incredibles, Mystery Men, X1, X2, X-Men First Class, Spiderman 2, SubZero, and probably more I'm forgetting besides.

snoopy13a
2012-08-16, 01:38 PM
Let's see

1. Batman (Adam West version)
2 & 3 The first two Christopher Reeve Supermans
4. First Toby McGuire Spiderman
5 & 6. The first two Christian Bale Batmans (haven't seen the 3rd yet)
7. Second Toby McGuire Spiderman
8. Batman (Michael Keaton's first)
9. Mystery Men
10. The Incredibles

Empedocles
2012-08-16, 03:04 PM
Adding some honorable mentions. The Rocketeer is great fun, but it only really works because it feels so retro. If V for Vendetta counts, which Dienekes made a very good, if simple, case for, then it's like number two on my list. I love the Incredibles, but with ogles of little siblings and countless re-watchings it's just run a little thin for me. X-Men First Class was also excellent. Finally, I think I need to say that I've yet to watch the Avengers. I'm mad about that. And I can't wait.

JCarter426
2012-08-16, 04:37 PM
I think I can list ten I haven't seen, and though I might have seen at least ten, I wouldn't say I have enough to have a top ten.

Raimun
2012-08-16, 05:57 PM
The Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
One word. Continuity. And style. Two words. Continuity, style and craftsmanship. Three words, no more. Oh, and they're great fun too.

The Dark Knight
It's awesome. You know it.

Watchmen
While it did remove and alter a lot of stuff, it's still the superhero movie that's most faithful to its source material, which is a fine piece of literature.

X-Men
Spider-Man
They made superheroes popular to moviegoers. Blade was before them but I didn't even know back then that he was a superhero and I do read comics. It's the lack of tights and being a vampire. Batman and Superman were even before Blade but they weren't followed with a dozen DC-films. Heck, Batman and Robin almost killed superhero movies.

The Punisher
Yes, the 2004 iteration. Yes, I'm serious. ... What? That movie and that guy truly captured the essence of The Punisher. The action was varied and exciting too and I really liked the final shootout. That other guy was so Punished.

Jerthanis
2012-08-16, 06:46 PM
Really, there aren't enough superhero movies to avoid a ton of repetition here... especially since so many are or have sequels. Really my 10-6 are pretty 'whatever' picks.

10.) Hancock -- Started stronger than where it went, but I really liked this one.

9.) Darkman -- They took his hands!

8.) The Rocketeer -- Nazis.

7.) X-Men 2 -- The only good Wolverine movie they made among four Wolverine movies.

6.) The Incredibles -- Butt-kicking, refreshingly dark superhero story. Loses points for being an Ayn Randian bedtime story, but somehow wound up being awesome anyway.

5.) The Avengers -- Mostly gets the #5 spot to bump the Incredibles, but does a good job in its own right. Superhero movies are all popcorn movies to some extent and this movie is so popcorn it defies reason.

4.) Super -- Shut up, Crime.

3.) The Dark Knight -- Fantastic movie, possibly better as a movie than my #2 spot, but I kept thinking, "I wish Batman wasn't in this otherwise fantastic crime/drama story", and it's a pretty bad sign when you wish BATMAN wasn't in a BATMAN movie.

2.) Spider-Man 2 -- This is the quintessential Spider-Man story. Spider-Man #50 on the big screen. In my opinion, if you don't like this movie, you just don't like Spider-Man.

1.) Hellboy 2 -- Don't know why Hellboy 1 gets so much praise, I found it kind of boring, and centers on the the lame chick and Mark Walburg lookalike instead of the cool dudes Abe and Hellboy. Hellboy 2 has a pretty glaring plothole that everyone saw, and can potentially ruin the movie for you, but it's so wonderful anyway it gets a pass in my book.

0.) Batman (1966) -- The real best Superhero movie, disqualified for being the greatest thing ever created by man. The only superhero movie I can watch over and over and still enjoy.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 07:36 PM
What Plothole? I must have seen Hellboy 2 a half-dozen times and I can't say I noticed anything glaring.

Emmerask
2012-08-16, 07:52 PM
Avengers
Blade 1 (and only 1)
Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Hancock
Batman

yep thats it pretty much

I don´t know about X-Men 1 anymore so I put it in the mediocre category I guess.

As for Thor I just don´t get what most people see in the movie, it was okay but has very little memorable scenes actually "Another!" would be the one scene that will maybe always stick with me, but the rest mediocre to the core :smalltongue:

Eldan
2012-08-16, 08:03 PM
Thor just sort of had a lot of energy. It was fun throughout. And the casting was good.

I can't understand what people see in Captain America. The first third or so was sort of enjoyable, if taking itself a bit too serious for my tastes (oh my god, the pathos. So much pathos). But the rest was just tedious to sit through.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 08:04 PM
Thor just sort of had a lot of energy. It was fun throughout. And the casting was good.

I can't understand what people see in Captain America. The first third or so was sort of enjoyable, if taking itself a bit too serious for my tastes (oh my god, the pathos. So much pathos). But the rest was just tedious to sit through.

Eldan
2012-08-16, 08:06 PM

Emmerask
2012-08-16, 08:13 PM
Man that movie must have enough energy for three separate replies:smalleek:

:smallsmile::smalltongue:

I thought Captain America was pretty horrible tbh

snoopy13a
2012-08-16, 10:32 PM
I thought the first half or so of Hancock was good but then it petered out as it got into the main plot.

Jerthanis
2012-08-16, 10:33 PM
What Plothole? I must have seen Hellboy 2 a half-dozen times and I can't say I noticed anything glaring.

At the point when King Balor orders the execution of Nuada, Nuada asks Nuala if she accepts this outcome. She says she does. The moment she escapes, she can simply kill herself and end the plot. Even if she wanted to make sure Wink couldn't finish the project alone, she could have then done it after he died. The only explanation I can think of might be that she wasn't sure if she should put the power of the Golden Army in the hands of humanity, but she knew Abe well enough she could trust him, or could have dropped the key down a storm drain or thrown it into the ocean or something.

I obviously don't mind this plot hole, since it's my very favorite Superhero movie.

Logic
2012-08-17, 01:51 AM
I liked the format of Slayer Scott, but I put an additional category.

Best – The Dark Knight, Iron Man, X-Men 2, X-Men First Class, Avengers, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, The Watchmen

Great - Batman (1989), Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Dark Knight Rises, Thor, X-Men, Blade, Punisher (2004)

Good - Hellboy, Unbreakable, The Amazing Spider-Man, Kick Ass, Batman Returns, V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, Hancock

Watchable - Hellboy: The Golden Army, Mystery Men, Hulk (2003), Blade 2, Superman Returns

Suck – League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Punisher (1989), Punisher: War Zone (2008), Ghost Rider, Sin City, Spider-Man 3, Blade 3, Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men 3, Captain America (1990), Fantastic 4, Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

EDIT: And I want to mention this (http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/16/punisher-comic-con-thomas-jane/).

SDF
2012-08-17, 09:01 AM
I like The Dark Knight Rises more than Dark Knight or begins. Its in my top ten without a doubt.

Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie, hands down.

Mystery Men is probably my second favorite. I adore that movie.

Eldan
2012-08-17, 09:05 AM
At the point when King Balor orders the execution of Nuada, Nuada asks Nuala if she accepts this outcome. She says she does. The moment she escapes, she can simply kill herself and end the plot. Even if she wanted to make sure Wink couldn't finish the project alone, she could have then done it after he died. The only explanation I can think of might be that she wasn't sure if she should put the power of the Golden Army in the hands of humanity, but she knew Abe well enough she could trust him, or could have dropped the key down a storm drain or thrown it into the ocean or something.

I obviously don't mind this plot hole, since it's my very favorite Superhero movie.

Ah. Yeah, I realized that one, but honestly, I wouldn't call it a plot hole, really. I can totally see someone being willing to go along with execution, but not quite having the stomach for suicide.

Empedocles
2012-08-17, 09:39 AM
Ah. Yeah, I realized that one, but honestly, I wouldn't call it a plot hole, really. I can totally see someone being willing to go along with execution, but not quite having the stomach for suicide.

I agree. Being willing to die is very different from being willing to kill yourself. People who let that ruin the movie for them probably weren't going to enjoy it regardless.

Raimun
2012-08-17, 01:36 PM
EDIT: And I want to mention this (http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/16/punisher-comic-con-thomas-jane/).

Whoa, that guy was Punished too. Thanks for the link.

As to what superhero movies I don't like? There are only two I really can't stand. The Fantastic Four-movies. They were only mediocore at their very finest points (Mediocore Four, heh) but the guy who played Doom is deserving to be brought before justice even more than the original Doom of the comics.

Empedocles
2012-08-17, 03:39 PM

That is amazing!!!!!! Best Punisher movie so far :smalltongue:

Diskhotep
2012-08-17, 11:45 PM
I can't believe nobody has brought up the best worst superhero movie: The Return of Captain Invincible. Starring Alan Arkin and Christopher Lee, it is the story of Captain Invincible, America's golden hero disgraced during the McCarthy era and called back into action years later to once again save the world from his old foe, Mr. Midnight. Oh, and it's a musical.

Honorable mention is Meteor Man, starring Robert Townshend. A mild-mannered school teacher is struck by a meteor, which gives him superpowers. It has a good cast, a decent message, and is genuinely funny most of the time, especially during the final battle scene.

Empedocles
2012-08-18, 12:06 AM
Honorable mention is Meteor Man, starring Robert Townshend. A mild-mannered school teacher is struck by a meteor, which gives him superpowers. It has a good cast, a decent message, and is genuinely funny most of the time, especially during the final battle scene.

I remember that movie!!!!!! Childhood..........