PDA

View Full Version : character quirks

thriceborn
2012-08-16, 02:17 AM
What are some character quirks you've come up with? Or interesting RP things you did?

For example, I'm making a character who, before any battles, makes a small cut on his hand and offers up a prayer to the god of battles and his personal god to keep him safe. The idea he had was a blood sacrifice and supplication should keep him safe.

Silus
2012-08-16, 02:30 AM
Well, Amalee (Avi is based off her) is a Varisian Half-Elf Dawnflower Dervish (Basically a dancing gypsy bard with a scimitar that uses Dex for EVERYTHING) that I play in Pathfinder Society games. As I played her, she became increasingly violent towards slave traders. So now she's a Dawnflower Dervish (Bard) 2/Urban Barbarian 1/Unarmed Fighter 1 that flies into violent rages whenever encountering any slave traders or human traffickers.

Seriously, we're talking about wanting to torch a slave trading ship with the crew still aboard on principal.

Have a Plague Druid/Doctor that never removes his Plague Doctor's mask. NEVER.

A Halfling Geisha/Archeologist (Gentleman Adventurer) that ALWAYS has a story about his time in the Mwangi Expanse. Seriously, you mention a type of rope or something, and he'll be like "Why yes my dear, this reminds me of this one time in the Mwangi Expanse. Why, we were not two days out....". Also, talks like a mix between Sean Connery and John Cleese and has one of those muttonchop/mustache things going on.

thriceborn
2012-08-16, 02:59 AM
Well, Amalee (Avi is based off her) is a Varisian Half-Elf Dawnflower Dervish (Basically a dancing gypsy bard with a scimitar that uses Dex for EVERYTHING) that I play in Pathfinder Society games. As I played her, she became increasingly violent towards slave traders. So now she's a Dawnflower Dervish (Bard) 2/Urban Barbarian 1/Unarmed Fighter 1 that flies into violent rages whenever encountering any slave traders or human traffickers.

Seriously, we're talking about wanting to torch a slave trading ship with the crew still aboard on principal.

Have a Plague Druid/Doctor that never removes his Plague Doctor's mask. NEVER.

A Halfling Geisha/Archeologist (Gentleman Adventurer) that ALWAYS has a story about his time in the Mwangi Expanse. Seriously, you mention a type of rope or something, and he'll be like "Why yes my dear, this reminds me of this one time in the Mwangi Expanse. Why, we were not two days out....". Also, talks like a mix between Sean Connery and John Cleese and has one of those muttonchop/mustache things going on.

I love these. They sound fun. Any reason the plague doc doesn't remove the mask? And the halfling sounds like Ducky/Dr. Mallard from NCIS. Any connection?

Cathmore
2012-08-16, 04:12 AM
I had a starpact warlock that was so afraid to sleep that the DM came up with all kinds of creative hallucinations and such that he suffered from. It got to the point where the party would knock him out so he'd stop attacking them as if they were tentacle beasts from beyond the stars. When he was well rested he was perfectly sane and acted as the face for the party.

Silus
2012-08-16, 04:52 AM
I love these. They sound fun. Any reason the plague doc doesn't remove the mask? And the halfling sounds like Ducky/Dr. Mallard from NCIS. Any connection?

Well for the Doc, it's mostly to keep up the mystique (A mostly silent urban druid that spreads disease and whatnot). And if the feces hit the fan, he can always take the mask off and melt into the crowd, seeing as nobody's ever seen him without the mask.

As for the Halfling, I...really don't know what I was thinking when I made him beyond "Gentleman Adventurer". It kinda took off on its own somewhere between making him a Halfling and naming him Sir Bartholomew Livingston.

Kol Korran
2012-08-16, 05:20 AM
Lets see, from past and present games:
- A halfling murderous rogue who constantly tries to appear as honest, despite OBVOIUS contradiction. His favorite saying was "but, but... i'm just an honorable business man!" (The body underneath im and blood over his clothes, and the spiked chain in his hands)

- An elf pirate, who wanted a huge purple parrot that he curses and that curses him back, or says inappropriate things. Extremely annoying/ humerous and can survive ANYTHING.

- Another pirate, but a bit... strange in the head. he likes to talk to animals, to spirits, and sometime to the plants he grows. Sometime, they talk back?

- Same pirate, alcoholic beverages tend to combust spontaneously if he tries to drink them. A strange attempt at rehab.

- Another "mysterious fellow" type of character, that has a cane (the player made one) with which he walks slowly, like a silent, methodical British gentleman assassin. Tic... tic... tic...

- A lizardman who hated most NPC that had to join the party for any limited amount of time. (Not DMPCs) In his guard post during camp, he would usually dig out a fresh grave for them, so.. you know- they'll have something to wake up to.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-08-16, 12:17 PM
Once played a DMPC halfling merchant and quest-giver who avoided combat whenever possible and mostly just stuck arount to provide cheap healing for a one-shot adventure. He dressed in a frilly, brightly colored costume with a big foppish hat that had an ostrich feather nearly as tall as he was. He was always wearing way too much cologne and could probably have been smelled from half a mile away.

In truth, he was a necropolitan dread necromancer testing the PCs to see if they were worth converting to undeath and controlling. The hat was (of course) a hat of disguise and the cologne covered the smell of decay.

Yukitsu
2012-08-16, 12:54 PM
I played a guy who referred to himself in the plural and referred to current events and near future events in past tense. He was a very powerful, slightly fragmented time mage, so that was simply how he viewed things.

I play a modern character that's a friendly, naive scientist. He basically just goes along with everything, is generally friendly to everyone, and innately trusts everything. Coincidentally, he gets kidnapped a lot.

I played one character with the same sort of slave trader hate as Silus, but instead of rage, she stalked them for two weeks without saying anything to anyone, dragged them off to a cabin in the countryside and tortured them until they weren't recognizably human before sending them back home.

I played one rather stolid farmer who threw scythes as his main weapon. He kept calling anything remotely progressive "new fangled devil's magic." Despite that, he was the one that kept repairing it all, because he had the most practical knowledge of things in the group. (and apparrantly that included starships because skill groupings are dumb)

I played a rogue who kept pocketing every diamond we came across. To be fair, I only did that because every time we encountered diamonds in the treasure, the team was all unconscious, or one time, they were all wiped sans her.

Water_Bear
2012-08-16, 01:27 PM
I had a CN Human Sorcerer/Wild Mage who used a Rod of Wonder in battle and made all of his decisions by coin-flip. :smallsigh:

Now that I reside on the other side of the DM Screen, I feel so much shame because of that character...

Kalmageddon
2012-08-16, 01:41 PM
I used to play a nobleman necromancer that always wore velvet gloves and never raised his voice, in fact he basically had only one expression on his face.
Which of course ties in with the fact that he was actually a Pale Master, one of his hands was just bones and he was experiencing rigor mortis when still living.

Sutremaine
2012-08-16, 04:58 PM
My current character is twitchy and distractable in a manner that is vaguely ADD but partly down to the voices in his head telling him to open doors, talk as often as possible, or stop using the Bluff skill. These strange headfellows are the result of the voice of his head, which tells him to kill things.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-16, 10:13 PM
I had a Goliath Warblade who yelled "Death to Most!" as a battle cry before charging into battle. Even had it engraved on his sword. It was gonna be "Death to All!" before my homie pointed out that it would me both the character, and his friends in the party, so I changed it.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-08-18, 01:51 PM
Right now I'm playing a trap-obsessed rogue who, despite her brilliance, can't say a complete coherent sentence to save her life. She's nicknamed Nuts and is likely going to be the reason why our party will end up being known as The Asylum Rejects.

Kymme
2012-08-18, 10:41 PM
Hm. I once played a teenage dude who willingly became the host of a homicidal demon called Maw. Absolutely loved smiling. All the time. Like, even when it was really awkward for everyone in game. Called himself Cheshire.
And yes, his grin looked like it belonged on a shark.

Dienekes
2012-08-18, 11:03 PM
Hmm I have a few accents and minor details like always having a certain clothing that has meaning for them, like one guys wedding ring from their deceased wife. But I think I had two guys with enjoyable quirks that were a bit out of the ordinary.

Wat: A peasant who joined a mercenary band during a civil war to escape being killed. He was filled with stories about how unlucky he was compared to people he had known. These stories would often end with the person he thought was luckier than him winding up dead, but Wat would ignore that small detail for the parts where he was bested or less fortunate than others.

I really enjoyed playing Wat and got quite a few rants and sayings from the guy, here's an example or two.

I never get lucky. I remember back during the war Janes and I had a bet to see who could run to the top of the hill first, of course I stumbled and lost the bet. That would have cost me terribly if there weren’t a bunch of archers on the other side. Janes got everything I didn’t, speed, luck, and several finely made enemy arrowheads to decorate his grave. I’ll probably only get muddy sticks and a ditch somewhere.

All this excitement reminds me of the last war. Remember when Jak got it in his head to bring us all to that brothel to celebrate his birthday? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many corpses, well at least Jak died happy, celebrating his birthday and all.

Tom: A smuggler who has a habit of saying long, insane, John McClane style rants in the middle of combat. Unfortunately he has the lowest Int possible, so his rants are often ludicrous and make no sense. He of course, thinks his combat banter is very witty and will often repeat it as an example of his cleverness to his teammates after the fact.

Angry Bob
2012-08-19, 12:55 AM
I played a witch in a Pathfinder game that referred to everything in the third person. Herself as "she," her scorpion familiar as "he," and everyone/everything else as "it," as a symptom of having 20 intelligence, 7 wisdom, and 7 charisma. It made communication with npcs a bit stunted, but I figured if I was going to min/max, I might as well have some fun with it. That same character almost gave some tactile-only telepath npc a seizure by grabbing her ass. Good times. The DM and I had planned to have her be revealed as the true villain and a pawn of Tzeentch("Change for the change god; Just as planned for the just as planned throne") at the end of the campaign, but the game ended before that could happen.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-08-19, 02:23 PM
I once made a warforged who was incrediblly selfconcious, and socially awkward. He knew that he wasn't good at talking so mostly he stayed quiet and carved things. The carvings were his main form of communication. For example, we met a quest giver who smiled a bit too much for our likeing, and as everyone was trying to figure him out, my warforged just carved a man wrestling with a snake and slammed it onto the table. He also didn't have any concept of money, and tried to pay for everything with sculptures.

Cerlis
2012-08-19, 07:53 PM
Lets see, from past and present games:
- A halfling murderous rogue who constantly tries to appear as honest, despite OBVOIUS contradiction. His favorite saying was "but, but... i'm just an honorable business man!" (The body underneath im and blood over his clothes, and the spiked chain in his hands)

My first thought is of Garak from Star trek Deep space Nine. At the beginning of the series there where rumors he was a Carassian spy and even when he was giving "friendly" advice that was an obvious cover for legitimate tactical advice he'd always end with "Oh, I'm just a SIMPLE tailor"

- A lizardman who hated most NPC that had to join the party for any limited amount of time. (Not DMPCs) In his guard post during camp, he would usually dig out a fresh grave for them, so.. you know- they'll have something to wake up to.
heh, i imagine for one particularly annoying npc it would be fun when he's fast asleep to actually place him in the grave. Give him a nice freak out when he wakes up.