PDA

View Full Version : Paranorman

Jayngfet
2012-08-17, 10:31 PM
So, this came out today. With the late release date and barely any marketing it didn't really hit anyone's radars but I swear it's probably the best animated movie to come out in the last few years, and has my vote for straight up best movie to come out this year trying The Avengers.

I mean, this is the kind of movie other movies want to be. I mean this is like, the kind of maturity that pretty much every good kids show has tried to tackle. I think at this point I'm probably overselling it but the technical ability was so good it required they required specific machines never before used for this kind of project just to look so good, and the actual writing was so good it makes everyone else I've seen try to work the themes of fear and overcoming it looks poorer just by comparison.

Cdr.Fallout
2012-08-17, 10:45 PM
MovieBob heartily recommended it (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6172-ParaNorman), so I guess I owe it to myself to at least check it out.

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-17, 11:00 PM
So is the trailer poorly marketing it? Cause they made it look like a cruder, less interesting version of Coraline.

Jayngfet
2012-08-17, 11:25 PM
So is the trailer poorly marketing it? Cause they made it look like a cruder, less interesting version of Coraline.

I honestly probably liked it better than Coraline, simply because while it pushed against what it was allowed to do, quite aggressive in certain spots, it never really forgets to use that to push the story even harder. I mean the violence isn't glorified so much as used to punctuate the darker aspects of the film, and anything sexual is meant to establish the way a character works(you can tell Norman's parents probably aren't the best before you even see or hear them, simply because they let him watch mind numbing horror movies full of gore and cheap fanservice).

There's maybe like, a couple of quick moments that exist for the sake of a gag, but they're slipped between plot points and usually last a fraction of a second instead of making the movie grind to a halt just to point out you should be laughing.

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-18, 04:19 PM
The person who made the trailer should be kicked in the balls. I was THIS close to not seeing the movie. It was actually really good. I had a few gripes (Music occasionaly slipping up and the sister and bully characters where too obnoxious) but really good otherwise.

Nekura
2012-08-18, 05:33 PM
The person who made the trailer should be kicked in the balls. I was THIS close to not seeing the movie. It was actually really good. I had a few gripes (Music occasionaly slipping up and the sister and bully characters where too obnoxious) but really good otherwise.

Itís a surprise to hear people like it. If it is good I agree whoever made the trailer is not doing a good job. In the trailer a guy was told some like he should do it because he is the oldest and he replied not mentally. If he is so stupid his mental state is younger then others he wouldnít exactly be smart enough to make a joke like that. Then there was the hummus. I tried it once and the version I had wasnít spicy but either way it wasnít funny. You canít expect every joke to be funny but nothing in the trailer made me want to see it. Thatís not to say it canít be a hidden gem do to very poor marketing.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-08-18, 09:27 PM
Whoa, this was good? o.0

I'm in the same boat, the trailer made it look terrible. The way they attached it to Coraline made me think the whole time that the movie was worse than Coraline so they were attaching it as a saving throw.

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Scowling Dragon
2012-08-18, 09:48 PM
Its got some groan worthy humor, but when you warm up to the characters it becomes much more funny:

There is a scene where Norman walks saying hello and ducking to nothing, and he really does look nuts. But then you see what he sees, and combined with the music it really works (Music that the trailer doesn't use).

And it had a twist that I didn't expect.

It wasn't even a Zombie movie. It was about fear, and revenge and how it can haunt people.

BiblioRook
2012-08-20, 07:16 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat in that after the trailer I didn't really have much interest in seeing it, but a of mine with really solid opinions on movies is strongly recommending it too so I guess I'ld consider it.

Man was this movie hyped during Comic-Con though, I even have a signed movie poster that one of the promoters rather forcibly trusted into my hands as I went past them (no clue who's signature it is though, I'm inclined to say... Dan something?)