PDA

View Full Version : Old style Action Sci-fi.

druid91
2012-08-21, 07:51 PM
So I'm looking for old style actiony sci fi movies.

Things like Robo-cop, Demolition Man, Total Recall (Not the new one), Running Man, Terminator, Etc...

And I figured I might as well start a thread to discuss them as well.

So, Discuss?

turkishproverb
2012-08-21, 08:28 PM
RoboWar. I dare you to watch it.

Hopeless
2012-08-22, 04:13 AM
Would Minority Report count or does Tom Cruise disqualify it?:smallwink:

How many scy fi movies count if at all?:smallconfused:

Oh Blade Runner with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer and Soldier with Kurt Russell?

How would you classify Serenity?

Cespenar
2012-08-22, 04:20 AM
Super Mario Brothers.

Yes, I just went there. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2012-08-22, 08:32 AM
Space Mutiny.

Yora
2012-08-22, 08:37 AM
Ghost in the Shell

Weezer
2012-08-22, 10:12 AM
How about Flash Gordon, if you're wiling to have the cheese levels turned up to 11.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-22, 11:15 AM
Not exactly typical, and it still makes a few things wrong, but Outland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outland_%28film%29) with Sean Connery is pretty fun while having a gritty feel and tone.
I certainly like the utilitarian feel to it..

Grif
2012-08-22, 11:41 AM
Does The Fifth Element count?

Ravens_cry
2012-08-22, 11:46 AM
Does The Fifth Element count?
I'd say so :smallbiggrin:
It's Awesome-in-a-Can-Where-the-Can-is-Also-Awesome™

smellie_hippie
2012-08-22, 02:03 PM
Road Warrior -> Mad Max -> Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Highlander

Tank Girl (for teh luhls)

Yora
2012-08-22, 03:20 PM
Predator.

All the stupid Ahnold one-liners are confined to a single scene. The rest of the movie is a really decent alien-monster movie.

turkishproverb
2012-08-22, 07:46 PM
Predator 2
Predators

hmmm...

Blade RUnner's not really Typical, nor is it's korean sequel "Natural City", but it's psedu-sequel Soldier is.

Aedilred
2012-08-23, 12:19 AM
Universal Soldier, the forgotten JCVD "classic".

Would you also categorise Last Action Hero under this title, or would that just be a straight action flick?

hamlet
2012-08-23, 07:17 AM
The Black Hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Hole)

Forbidden Planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet)

Both are just great old classics. Especially Forbidden Planet, actually. Watch for major inspriations to both Star Trek and Babylon 5 there.

Yora
2012-08-23, 10:29 AM
Universal Soldier, the forgotten JCVD "classic".

Would you also categorise Last Action Hero under this title, or would that just be a straight action flick?

What about it is science fiction?

I think at the very least, science fiction should be something that deals with the effects on human society by new technology.

Thinker
2012-08-23, 10:46 AM
What about it is science fiction?

I think at the very least, science fiction should be something that deals with the effects on human society by new technology.

The premise is that a kid is pulled into the world of his favorite movie via magic. Not exactly Sci Fi.

dps
2012-08-23, 12:37 PM
I'd agree that Last Action Hero isn't SF. I don't think I'd call it a straight action film, either, though. Modern fantasy, more than anything else. The premise is closer to something like Big or Freaky Friday or maybe even a modernized, more action-oriented version of Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz than something I'd call SF.

Gamer Girl
2012-08-23, 11:58 PM
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

Mom and Dad save the World.

The Last Starfighter

Battle Beyond the Stars

Judge Dread

I Come in Peace

Freejack

Enemy Mine

Robot Jox

Suburban Commando

hamlet
2012-08-24, 08:05 AM
The Last Starfighter

Enemy Mine

I'd forgotten about those two. I love them both.

Wookieetank
2012-08-24, 01:24 PM
E.T.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Starship Troopers

Dark City

Matix (and or its sequels)

Mando Knight
2012-08-24, 10:26 PM
E.T.
...In what universe is E.T. considered an action movie?

McStabbington
2012-08-24, 11:08 PM
Forbidden Planet and The Angry Red Planet are the two that come most immediately to mind. Watching them, I was struck by how . . . grounded their science fiction is. There's actually a throwaway line The Angry Red Planet to explain why they're not floating around: they're using a rocket that provides 1G of constant acceleration, and they've oriented the living quarters so that they're being accelerated towards the floor. Granted that the handwave doesn't hold up under scrutiny (what's their fuel for this rocket?), but the effort was quite nice, especially after years of comparatively much softer science fiction.

Grif
2012-08-25, 08:05 AM
I just remembered another one of my guilty pleasures.

Pitch Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Black_(film))

and its somewhat atypical sequel, Chronicles of Riddick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Riddick).

I'd say Avatar also qualifies, if you ignore the morals bull**** the director tried to pedal. (Plus. You know. Machinegun nests on a friggin' spaceship.)

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-25, 01:17 PM
oh god 80s and 90s sci fi action movies

pffarrrrgghh

TIME FOR A LIVESTREAM MOVIE NIGHT

Ravens_cry
2012-08-25, 03:51 PM
I just remembered another one of my guilty pleasures.

Pitch Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Black_(film))

and its somewhat atypical sequel, Chronicles of Riddick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Riddick).

I wouldn't call Pitch Black old-style or even action. It's more horror with a science fiction twist. I haven't seen CoR, but from what I've it probably would qualify under action, though not so much old style.

dehro
2012-08-25, 03:57 PM
seriously..has nobody yet listed Alien? what's wrong with you all?

also..define "old style".. would that mean with little or no CGI? a few decades old? or what else?
anyway..

Tron
Cyborg
Logan's Run
and many many more..

hamlet
2012-08-27, 08:32 AM
Alien is not a sci-fi action flick. It's a haunted house story in space. Literally and explicitly. Which is not to say that it suffers from that. One of the greatest horror movies going.

However, the sequel, Aliens, on the other hand, is straight up military sci-fi action. And is great.

Logan's Run is not quite "action" per se.

Total Recall should be on this list, too. That one is just great.

Re'ozul
2012-08-27, 04:20 PM
Death Machine (it also has Brad Dourif as an insane scientist)

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-27, 11:18 PM
Death Race 2000 needs a mention.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-08-28, 06:51 AM
Oh man. I totally wanna see the recut trailer now.

dehro
2012-08-28, 07:04 AM

clearly an universe exist out there where the movie was shot with a young Vin Diesel playing the lead role.

Wookieetank
2012-08-29, 09:36 AM

From a kids perspective it is. I don't know about anyone else, but as a kid the whole bit with being chased by the government and police while on a bike trying to rescue E.T. was rather intense. From a certain point of view, its more actionly than other films, just on a different scale (and lots less guns), and with different aged protagonists. Maybe its just me but action movie doesn't mean just guns, explosions, and the like. Just my $0.02 :smallsmile:

turkishproverb
2012-08-29, 02:27 PM
ET wasn't really an action movie for a kid either. We had too many animated superheroes for that. A kids action movie was probably MONSTER SQUAD.

Mando Knight
2012-08-29, 11:54 PM
clearly an universe exist out there where the movie was shot with a young Vin Diesel playing the lead role.

And Ahnold as E.T., I presume. "GET TO DE SAUCEH!"

dps
2012-08-30, 07:54 PM
also..define "old style".. would that mean with little or no CGI? a few decades old? or what else?
anyway..

I'd define it as anything before the original Star Wars. But I suspect that most posters here are younger than me, and would put the divisions somewhere closer to the present.

dehro
2012-08-31, 04:00 AM
I'd define it as anything before the original Star Wars. But I suspect that most posters here are younger than me, and would put the divisions somewhere closer to the present.

I have a feeling none of the examples of the OP are older than Star Wars