PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Knight Revised

crimsonqueen
2012-08-22, 03:51 AM
Ok guys allow me to explain what I am doing here :) I've always loved the Platinum Knight Prestige Class from the Draconomicon but I always felt it was under powered and could have been so much better.

So my brother challenged me to make it better but balanced while still keeping with the main theme of being a anti-evil dragon class so here I go note that it is not done yet so any and all input and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. :)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Smite Evil Dragon 2/day, Dragonfriend, Blessed Soul, Lay on hands | -

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Dragon Hunter, Dragon Senses, Immune to frightful presence |+1 level of existing class

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3| Dragonfoe, Platinum Scales +1|+1 level of existing class

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Smite Evil Dragon 4/day, Dragonwrack(+2d6/1d6)| +1 level of existing class

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Bahamut's Grace, Mettle|+1 level of existing class

6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Dragonbane|+1 level of existing class

7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Platinum Scales +2, Smite Evil Dragon 6/day, Dragonwrack (+3d6/1d6)| -

8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Dragon Hunter Defense| +1 level of existing class

9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|Charisma Increase|+1 level of existing class

10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Dragondoom,Smite Evil Dragon 8/day, Dragonwrack (4d6/2d6)|+1 level of existing class

[/table]

Requirements
Alignment: Any Good
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Diplomacy 4 ranks, Knowledge Arcana 4 ranks
Languages: Draconic
Special: Must worship Bahamut, Must be accepted as a member of the Order of the Platinum Knights.

Additional Class Info and Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Platinum Knight is proficient with all simple, and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with all shields except tower shields.
Hit Die: D8
Class Skills:
Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int, Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Wis), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Abilities

Lay on Hands: You can heal wounds by touch if your Charisma score is 12 or higher. Each day you can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to your Platinum Knight level × your Charisma modifier. This ability works just like the paladin class feature of the same name. If you already gained this ability from another class, your levels in both classes stack to determine the total number of hit points of damage you can heal each day.

Blessed Soul: You can freely take levels in this prestige class without restricting future advancement as a paladin. Your Platinum Knight levels stack with paladin levels for the purpose of your aura of good and stack with cleric and paladin levels for the purpose of turning undead.

Dragonfriend: At 1st level a Platinum Knight gains Dragonfriend feat as a bonus feat.

Dragon Hunter: At 2nd level a Platinum Knight gains Dragon Hunter as a bonus Feat.

Dragonfoe: At 3rd level a Platinum Knight gains Dragonfoe as a bonus feat.

Dragon Senses: Starting at 2nd level, a Platinum Knight can see four times as well as a human in low-light conditions and twice as well as a human in normal light. He also gains darkvision out to 120 feet

Dragonwrack: Evil dragons that strike a Platinum Knight or are struck by him suffer grievous wounds. At 4th level, Platinum Knight deals +2d6 points of damage with each successful melee attack made against an evil creature of the dragon type. Furthermore, any such creature that strikes the Platinum Knight with a natural weapon or melee weapon takes 1d6 points of damage. In both cases, half of the extra damage is permanent hit point drain. A dragon that survives a battle against a Platinum Knight often bears terrible scars from the permanent drain of hit points. Only a wish or miracle spell can restore hit points drained permanently by a Platinum Knight’s dragonwrack ability. At 7th level, the platinum knight deals +3d6 points of damage to evil dragons, and a dragon that strikes the vassal takes 1d6 points of damage. Again, in both cases, half of this damage is permanent drain. At 10th level, the damage increases to +4d6 points and 2d6 points, respectively.

~More Coming Soon~

LordErebus12
2012-08-22, 04:01 AM
i think a dead caster level should fall on the first level, since it receives so many abilities at that level

crimsonqueen
2012-08-22, 05:22 AM
i think a dead caster level should fall on the first level, since it receives so many abilities at that level

Maybe 1st and 7th instead of 4th and 8th?

LordErebus12
2012-08-22, 05:24 AM
Maybe 1st and 7th instead of 4th and 8th?

agreed, much better

crimsonqueen
2012-08-22, 05:32 AM
Any other ideas? :}

LordErebus12
2012-08-22, 05:36 AM
later tonight, maybe

crimsonqueen
2012-08-22, 02:31 PM
Ok great :) Anybody else have any ideas possibly suggestions for abilities or things I can do to balance it out?

T.G. Oskar
2012-08-22, 02:48 PM
I'd consider merging Platinum Knight with Vassal of Bahamut. Both are thematically similar, after all. I see you've done a bit of it (Dragonwrack, mostly), but you could do a bit further.

A nice tactic is what the Stalker of Kharash and Lyric Thaumaturge did (and so did the Nosomatic Chirurgeon): if the class does not grant spellcasting levels, it advances levels of a specific class. You could say that the Platinum Knight gains spellcasting ability as a Paladin of a level equal to 5 + class level. That way, everyone gets spells, whether advancing a few or getting their own. You can also alter their spell list so that it fits, adding more dragon-themed spells.

crimsonqueen
2012-08-22, 04:35 PM
I'd consider merging Platinum Knight with Vassal of Bahamut. Both are thematically similar, after all. I see you've done a bit of it (Dragonwrack, mostly), but you could do a bit further.

A nice tactic is what the Stalker of Kharash and Lyric Thaumaturge did (and so did the Nosomatic Chirurgeon): if the class does not grant spellcasting levels, it advances levels of a specific class. You could say that the Platinum Knight gains spellcasting ability as a Paladin of a level equal to 5 + class level. That way, everyone gets spells, whether advancing a few or getting their own. You can also alter their spell list so that it fits, adding more dragon-themed spells.

Hmmmm I like that idea :)