PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 5e] Darkness of the Deep

Camelot
2012-08-22, 08:36 AM
A small wagon rolls silently through the woods. A warrior walks beside it, a heavy hammer in hand. He is a dwarf, a battle cleric who has seen his share of war. Sitting on the other side of the wagon is a thin elf. He wears armor and carries multiple weapons, but a certain glint in his eyes shows he has more tricks up his sleeve. A halfling dangles his feet off the back of the wagon, his eyes darting around among the other adventurers and their coin purses. Another dwarf sits near him, a naive smile and a couple of warts on his face. At the head of the wagon is a man wearing robes covered in intricate embroidery. He has arranged this trip and gathered the group so that they can make it safely through the woods. You are these adventurers.

Weary from travel, you were thankful to see the lights of an inn peering out from between the trees. However, upon arriving, you notice something strange. The light you saw is no longer there, the building is falling apart, with rotting wood and crumbling stone, and nobody appears to be inside. With the sun having set and dark clouds rolling in, you have the choice of trying to sleep in the rain or sleeping inside the abandoned inn in the middle of the haunted woods.

Welcome to the game. As I mentioned before, when posting, type any out-of-character comments and dice rolls inside spoilers. Try to use only one spoiler per post. Each of you must choose a color for your character to speak in, and nobody can choose a color too similar to one that has already been chosen. For example, if someone chooses lime green, then nobody else can choose any other shade of green. Non-player characters will speak in black unless they are very important or have a reason to use a different color.

This game will be played on hard mode, which means that even foes who have low intelligence scores will use the best tactics I can muster in battle. In addition, if a character dies, there is no chance of bringing him back, unless you come across a fortune and a powerful magic-user. However, the player will have the option of creating a new character of the same level as the rest.

Your first decision is laid out before you. Discuss and choose your path quickly, for time waits for no adventurer.

rorikdude12
2012-08-22, 09:32 AM
The thin elf hops off the wagon.

With a muttered incantation, the elf creates an orb of light adjacent to the wagon. He moves towards the inn.

"It seems that we must take shelter in this abandoned abode.", the elf says as he walks up to the inn entrance. He draws his longsword, then casts another spell of light upon the entrance to the inn.

Allyzedl
2012-08-22, 09:57 AM
The halfling, after observing the elf follows stealthily behind him and draws his weapons after he notices the elf doing so.

As we approach the door, the halfling whispers, "After you" to the elf in front of him.

Stealth check:
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-08-22, 02:02 PM
The warty Hill Dwarf with a short - for a Dwarf - dark brown beard hops off the back of the wagon and takes a gander at his surroundings. He couldn't help but get the feeling that something bad was going to occur. Instinctively, he draws his gnarled quarterstaff. He then looked at the Elf and whispered, "What do those pretty little Elf eyes see? Oh right, an abandoned Inn. Who knows what has taken up residence in... There. I say we send the Halfling in to scope it out!"

Just going to post my character sheet in this thread, since recruitment threads have a short shelf-life. :)

"Once more into the breach!"

Name: Mortimer Mortikind III
Race: Hill Dwarf | Class: Warlock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Male | Height: 4'4" | Weight: 230 lbs
Specialty: Survivor

Common Combat Statistics: {table]{table]Name | To Hit | Damage | Range| Save DC | Effect
Eldritch Blast | +7 | 3d6 | 50 ft. | - | -
Quarterstaff | +5 | 1d8+0 | - | - | -
Dagger | +5 | 1d4+0 | 20/80 | - | -[/table][/table]

Skills: {table]{table]Name | Bonus | Effect
Animal Handling | +3 | Interacting with animals
Forbidden Lore | +7 | Recall info about Forbidden stuff.
Local Lore | +7 | Recall info about the town where my Inn is located.
Professional Lore | +7 | Expert in lore pertaining to Innkeeping.[/table][/table]

Spells & Invocations: Pact:
{table]{table]Name | Level | Effect
Fey Pact: Verenestra | 1 | Gain a Wart when you gain this boon (1 time effect only). Spend a Patron's favor, allowing me to gain an advantage on all Charisma Checks made to influence it for the next hour. [/table][/table]

Invocations:
{table]{table]Level | Name | Effect
Minor | Eldritch Blast | Hurl a bolt at an enemy w/i 50 feet. If I hit, the target takes 3d6 Force Damage.
Lesser | Fabrication of the Weave | Create a light, non-magical item worth no more than 25 gp. The object lasts for 10 (minutes, I presume).
Lesser| Visage of the Summer Court| Each humanoid creature of my choice w/i 30 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails, I charm it for 1 minute. [/table][/table]

Rituals:
{table]{table]Level | Name | Effect
1 | Comprehend Languages | ???[/table][/table]

Equipment:
{table]{table]Name | Weight | Cost | Benefit/rules
Leather Armor | 15 | 10 | 11 + Dex Mod
Dagger | 1 | 2 | 1d4 piercing. Range 20/80
Quarterstaff | 4 | 2s | 1d8 bludgeoning. 2 Handed
Adventurer's Kit | 38 | 4 | a backpack, a mess kit, 50 feet of hempen rope, a tinderbox, ten torches, ten days of rations, and a waterskin.
Spellbook | 3 | Free | Houses my Rituals
[/table][/table]

Background: Mortimer Mortikind III was born in a wealthy Dwarven town. His father was an innkepper, as was his father and his father before him. Mortimer married a feisty young Dwarf maiden, named Penelope, when they were 18 years old. Mortimer still remembers fondly her fiery red beard popping out from under her lily white veil on their wedding day. Ah, those were good times.

Mortimer owned and operated his own Inn called the "Big Bed Inn", which was well known for - you guessed it - having very large, fluffy beds. Dwarves didn't much care for the Inn but foreigners did. In fact, Humans loved coming to his little Inn. It was centrally located, provided human food for breakfast and dinner and the ample legroom of the beds was much beloved.

During the Winter season, which is always slow, a warty old hermit that smelt of sulfur came to stay at the Inn. Mortimer didn't much like humans of his ilk but business was slow and the Dwarf needed coin. The Hermit kept to himself, mostly. Only coming out of his room for dinner. At night, Mortimer could swear he heard more than one person in the Human's room.

One day, the hermit settled his bill and left for good. As the Hill Dwarf was cleaning out the Hermits' room, he discovered a black book with red runes scrawled across it. Mortimer decided to take a peak at what such a unique looking tome contained. That decision, changed his life. He was immediately contacted by a powerful fey being known as Verenestra. She offered Mortiknd a deal - his soul for unlimited power, wealth and prestige. The Hill Dwarf lead a simple life of a commoner but he had always dreamed of becoming wealthy and truly providing a life for his beloved, bearded wife. With a little trepidation Mortiknd was given the knowledge of the Warlocks. His soul was her's but fortune and fame were his. That very evening, he bid his wife farewell and struck off on what she believed was an "information gathering venture to see how Human Inns operate." In reality, Mortikind became an adventurer!

rorikdude12
2012-08-22, 02:57 PM
The elf turned to the dwarf.

"Do not worry, I can scope this out if the halfling is not up to the task at hand."

The elf tries the doorknob if there is one. If there is no door, he walks in and casts a light spell in the middle of the room.

Carric Siannodel
Level One High Elf Fighter
Strength 14, Dexterity 14, Constitution 9
Intelligence 18, Wisdom 8, Charisma 14

HP 9, AC 16

Gear
Studded Leather Armor (20 lb), Shield (5 lb), Longsword (5 lbs, +5 to hit, 1d10+2 damage), Longbow (3 lbs, +5 to hit, 1d10 piercing, 150/600), 60 Arrows (9 lbs), Backpack (2 lbs), Crowbar (5 lbs), Eight day's rations (8 lbs), Tent (20 lbs), Adventurer's Kit (38 lbs), Grappling Hook (4 lbs), 38 gold pieces, 8 silver pieces
Traits and Abilities

Racial: High Elf
Medium, Low Light Vision, Elven Weapon Training, Keen Senses, Free Spirit, Trance, Languages (Common, Elven), Speed 30 ft, Cantrip (Ray of Frost)
Class: Fighter
Proficient with all Weapons, Armor, and Shields, Combat Superiority (1d6), and Fighting Style (Duelist; Deadly Strike, Parry, and Tumble), Weapon Attack +3
Specialty: Magic User
Arcane Dabbler (Light, Mage Hand)
Background: Thug
Bad Reputation, Skills (Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise)

yugi24862
2012-08-22, 03:20 PM
Seeing that his guards are already scouting out the abandoned inn, Brokanas surveys the area with his magical sight, to detect if anything odd is in the area. After doing so, he shouts out "Any of you see anything? I could swear this inn used to be open, not ruined like this"

Cast Detect Magic.
Also posting my sheet below.
Brokanas Arcanas
Human Wizard

Basic Info:
Str 10 Dex 13 Con 15 Int 17 Wis 13 Cha 9
AC 11 HP (1d8+7)[13] Ranged: +6 Ray of frost 1d6+3 Melee: +6 Shocking Grasp 1d8+4
Background: Sage
Chaotic Neutral Male 5'6 140 lbs Black Hair Blue Eyes Medium 20 Years old

Equipment:
Robes
Quarterstaff
Spellbook
Backpack
Adventurers Kit
80 GP

Racial Benefits:
+2 Int
+1 everything else

Class Benefits:
Spellbook
Arcane Magic
Cantrips
Arcane Knowledge (Skill: Arcane Lore)

Background Benefits:
Skills: Fobidden Lore, Local Lore, Natural Lore.
Trait: Researcher: If I dont know a piece of info, I know where to find it.

Speciality Benefits:
Suvivor
Toughness Feat: (Add 1d8 min 5 to hit points, and gain a 1d8 hit die)

Spells:
At-will: Shocking Grasp, Ray of frost, Detect magic
Per-day: Burning hands, Comprehend Languages, Grease, Charm person, Sleep.

PChubby
2012-08-22, 07:01 PM
The dwarf cleric cautiously approaches where the others have gathered in front of the inn. "Damn, I was looking forward to a beer and a bed." He says with a heavy sigh. The dwarf kneels and carefully examines the ground in the area for tracks or signs of recent activity.

Looking for any kind of tracks, last humanoid to come through etc. Not sure if Tracking is rolled into Survival or a feat this edition.
Survival:[roll0]
Perception:[roll1]

Character Sheet
Brumli Grimnar
Mountain Dwarf Cleric of War

Str: 18 Dex: 12 Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 17 Cha: 10
AC: 18 HP: 10 (1d8HD) Initiative: +1 Speed: 25ft Vision: Low-light
Melee: +6 1d10+4dmg (Warhammer) Magic: +5 1d8+4 (Radiant Lance)
Intimidate:+3, Religious Lore:+4, Spot:+6, Survival:+6
Description: good male 4'5" 195lbs brown eyes dark grey beard medium 43yrs

Spells: (0)2/day
Radiant Lance
Minor evocation
Your devotion reveals itself as a beam of light that shines from your holy symbol or weapon to burn a path through your foes.
Effect: Make a magical attack against one creature within 50 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 + 4 radiant damage.

Bless
1st-level enchantment
You bestow your blessing on your companions, giving them the heart to face their present trial.
Effect: Choose any number of creatures in a 20-foot-radius sphere within 50 feet of you. Each of those creatures gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls for 1 minute.
Channel Divinity 1d8+4 1/day
Benefit: Once per day as an action, you can channel divinity (a magical effect). When you do so, choose a creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. If the target is living, it regains hit points equal to 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier. If the target is undead, it takes that amount of holy damage. A cleric who worships an evil deity instead deals unholy damage to a living creature and heals an undead creature.
Cure Light Wounds
1st-level conjuration
You channel divine energy into an injured creature to mend wounds and ease suffering.
Effect: You touch a living creature. It regains 1d8 + 4 hit points.
Crusader’s Strike
1st-level evocation
Your prayer evokes the fury of your patron deity and binds it to the weapon you wield. Each time you strike with this weapon, the ground quakes and the air shudders around your foe, as your god’s wrath finds release.
Effect: Make a melee weapon attack against a creature within your reach. The attack deals 2d6 extra holy damage on a hit and 1d6 extra holy damage on a miss. An evil caster may deal unholy damage instead.
Background: Soldier
Skills: Intimidate, Spot, and Survival.
Trait—Military Rank: You have a military rank from your career as a soldier (the exact nature of your rank is determined at the time you select this background). Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence, and they will defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment, horses and vehicles for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.
Specialty: Healer
Level 1: Herbalism
You have mastered the techniques that allow you to create potions, bandages, and healing kits.
Prerequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom of 11 or higher
Benefit: You can spend 1 hour to create up to three items, chosen in any combination from this list.
* antitoxin (25 gp)
* healing potion (25 gp)
* healer’s kit (2 gp 5 sp)
To create an item, you must expend material components (herbs, vials, cloth, and the like) worth the amount given for each item.
Special: If you gain this feat at the time of character creation, you start play with one antitoxin, one healer’s kit, and one healing potion.

Level 3: Healer’s Touch
You have a knack for healing that makes your care better for your allies.
Prerequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom of 11 or higher
Benefit: Whenever you would roll dice to determine how many hit points a spell, magic item, or other effect restores, do not roll the dice but instead take the maximum possible result.
If you create a potion that heals, that potion always restores the maximum number of hit points.
Finally, when you take a rest, if you have a healer’s kit you can tend to wounds and aid your allies in the healing process. You can tend to yourself and up to six other creatures, and when you do, any Hit Dice spent by tended creatures always restore the maximum number of hit points.
Traits:
Speed: 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor with which you have proficiency.
Low-Light Vision: If there is no light within 30 feet of you, you treat shadows in that radius as normal light, and you treat darkness in that radius as shadows.
Dwarven Resilience: You are immune to damage and other effects from poison.
Dwarven Weapon Training: When you attack with an axe or a hammer with which you are proficient, the damage die for that weapon increases by one step: from d4 to d6, d6 to d8, d8 to d10, d10 to d12, and d12 to 2d6.
Stonecunning: While underground, you know your approximate depth and how to retrace your path. You can identify the age of visible stonework and make a reasonable guess as to the culture responsible for its construction.
Languages: Common and Dwarven.

Mountain Dwarf
Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Wisdom score increases by 1.
Armor Mastery: You are proficient with light and medium armor. While wearing medium or heavy armor, you gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
Equipment:
40g (110spent)
Capacity: 95/180lbs
75 Chainmail (40)
10 Shield 10g (5)
15 Warhammer (8)
4 Adventurer's Kit: (39)
- Backpack
- Hempen Rope
- Mess Kit
- Rations x10
- Tinderbox
- Torches x10
- Waterskin
- Sack x2
5 Holy Symbol (-)
1 Belt Pouch: (1)
- Antitoxin (-)
- Healer's Kit (1)
- Healing Potion (1)
Fluff:
Description:
Standing 4'5" and 195lbs. Brumli is fairly stout by dwarven standards. He keeps his head shaved and his beard is best described as braided braids intermingled w/ clasps giving it a rope like appearance. Brumli wears plain chainmail with various runic symbols of Moradin hand painted on the pauldrons & greaves.

Personality:
Brumli is curious and outgoing but quick to anger. For the most part, he has a live and let live philosophy unless he is crossed. For those who stay on his good side, Brumli is loyal and protective. He will not hesitate to help those he feels are in need. When not out adventuring he can be found experiencing local color in the closest bar. He has little respect for the Arcane Arts putting his faith in a higher power.

History:
Thanks to his temper, Brumli spent most of his youth getting into trouble. His constant brawling led him to the brink of exile. Gruntham, a cleric of Moradin, recognized his potential in the Berserker Brigade and took Brumli on as an apprentice. Gruntham trained Brumli to focus his anger and rage for the greater good and trained him to keep his fellow berzerkers alive.

Brumli worked his way through the ranks of the Berserker Brigade, eventually earning a place in Urrak Battalion, better known as "The Skullsmashers." Brumli spent a his years as a Skullsmasher fighting in many skirmishes over ore deposits in King's Canyon. These battles honed his skills as a combat medic and taught him a grudging respect for Orcs on the battlefield.

Felhammer
2012-08-23, 12:42 AM
Mortimer pipes up, "I've seen something like this before. Back in my homeland, I slashed prices and drove my competition to bankruptcy. Their impressive inn was abandoned. Hundreds of gold invested and all for naught. Ha, commerce - the one true equalizer in the world. At any rate, after a few weeks of languishing unused, the vagrant population moves into the abandoned inn and wrecks the place. Didn't look too dissimilar to this place. My bet is, nothing good lives inside."

Camelot
2012-08-23, 09:05 AM
Peering in through the broken doorway, you see the main room of the inn. Several wooden tables and chairs are against the walls of the room. There is a counter along the back wall, with a doorway on either side leading into the back rooms. A cask sits behind the counter, showing that this room was once used as a tavern. A staircase leads up to the second floor, where the bedrooms would be.

Brumli notices that the tables and chairs seem to have been deliberately moved to the sides of the room to make space in the center. However, the dust is thick, so they were not moved recently. There are also faint lines etched into the wooden floor, but they do not spell anything, at least in a language any of you know.

rorikdude12
2012-08-23, 11:16 AM
The elf steps in and examines the contents of the cask.

Camelot
2012-08-23, 12:33 PM
The cask contains red wine. When you step behind the counter to examine it, you also notice that there is a trapdoor on the floor with a padlock keeping it closed shut.

Being a former innkeeper, Mortimer knows that the trapdoor will lead to the inn's basement, where food and supplies were kept away from customers with twitchy fingers.

Allyzedl
2012-08-23, 12:37 PM
Milo walks inside, jumps up onto a chair and sits down, "What's the deal with this place? It seems empty."

PChubby
2012-08-23, 02:51 PM
A look of guarded curiosity creeps across Brumli's face as he examines the floor. "This is odd, they cleared space in the middle of the room. And there's something carved in the floor." He dusts the floor for a better look. "What do you folks make of these markings?"

Allyzedl
2012-08-23, 02:58 PM
"Maybe it's a trap. Let me have a look."
Milo jumps down from his chair, walks over towards the area pointed out by dwarf and inspects it for traps.

Find and Remove traps skill roll

[roll0]
actually +6 so 14

Camelot
2012-08-23, 04:28 PM
When Milo sits in the chair, he finds himself falling to the floor as the wooden chair, eaten away by time, crumbles underneath his weight.

Unharmed, Milo examines the floor, but the markings are just normal scratches. There are no traps in sight.

Allyzedl
2012-08-23, 04:32 PM
"No traps as far as I can tell."

Felhammer
2012-08-23, 05:27 PM
Mortimer creeps inside the inn with his allies and whispers, "We should check the basement before we go upstairs. It's a better location for enemies to hide and - more importantly - for the past owners to hide valuables."

rorikdude12
2012-08-23, 05:30 PM
The elf, noticing his waterskin is empty, fills it with the wine. When the waterskin is filled with wine, he drinks the remainder in the cask.

yugi24862
2012-08-24, 07:08 AM
Brokanas enters the remains of the inn, following his guards. He steps lightly on the rotting planks, and says "I doubt any of us could upstairs without coming back down rather quickly, the whole place is falling apart. At least the cellar should have food and drink, and we could sleep down there to at least have something solid over our heads." He then scans the floor with his magic sight.

Detect Magic on the floor.

Camelot
2012-08-24, 09:40 AM
Carric has to grimace a bit as he drinks the wine; it certainly isn't of elven quality, but it's nowhere near as bad as dwarven ale.

Brokanas notices a faint aura of magic, but it's not a spell that is currently in effect on the area. It only means that magic was cast here recently, or that very powerful magic was cast here long ago. He can sense that the magic belongs to the school of Conjuration.

Just then, Brumli notices a light coming from the open doorway to the left of the counter. It appears to be moving, and growing brighter.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 01:41 PM
Mortimer looks around and takes mental notes of the tavern, where the chairs are placed, the shapes of the tables, the size of the glasses, etc. He'd want such info, so he could fool his wife into believing he was still learning about how Humans constructed their inns and taverns.

PChubby
2012-08-24, 09:05 PM
While giving the halfling and human a wide berth to examine the floor, Brumli notices the light in the doorway by the counter. He cautiously approaches, pausing a few feet from the door to draw his weapon. "Who goes there? Friend or foe?" He says staring into the darkened doorway.

If needed ...
Spot: [roll0]

rorikdude12
2012-08-25, 07:40 PM
Noticing the dwarf drawing a weapon, the elf sheathes his blade and readies his bow. He raises it at the light.

"What is this being here? Show yourself fully if you don't like the idea of being a hedgehog.", the elf says coolly.

Allyzedl
2012-08-26, 05:59 AM
Milo stands behind the elf with the bow, readies his weapons, and tries to hide himself.

Stealth check:

[roll0]

Camelot
2012-08-26, 08:06 AM
Looking into the room, you find the kitchen, where once the meals served at the inn were made. The light is coming from the window, from outside. Peering out, Brumli sees two short creatures carrying a lantern. They have long reptilian snouts and short rat-like tails; they are kobolds. They are approaching the back of the inn through the woods. However, there is no door on that side of the building for them to enter, but they seem to be making their way directly towards the wall of the building.

yugi24862
2012-08-26, 10:15 AM
Looking up from the faint signs of magic on the floor, and following his guards, Brokanas hissed "Kobolds! Scum of the earth, the lot of them. Probably trashed the tavern and slaughtered the owner, and now feast themselves on his food. I say we kill them." He then glared at the kobolds and readied his magic to cast at them if needed.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 12:10 PM
Mortimer swings around and stares out the window, "Kobolds! Gah! I told yee this place was not safe!"

The Hill Dwarf then draws his Quarter staff as he walks backwards, behind his allies. The Warlock was brave but not foolhardy.

Camelot
2012-08-26, 04:34 PM
The kobolds notice the light coming from the inn and stop in their tracks, realizing that the light is not a torch but a magical and unfamiliar one. They share some quick words and dash back to the forest in a different direction from where they came.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 07:18 PM
Mortimer hesitantly calls out, "Ack, they're going to get re-enforcements! We oughta check this place out quickly and see if they stashed any riches, then high tail it out o' here as fast as possible!"

rorikdude12
2012-08-26, 07:48 PM
Carric nods.

"Agreed.", he says. And with that, he freezes the inside of the padlock on the trapdoor to try and burst it.

Roll damage if needed [roll0]

PChubby
2012-08-26, 08:47 PM
Pausing for a second, Brumli makes a mental note of the direction the kobolds came from and the direction they ran off.

"Agreed, lets be quick about it. They may have gone for backup." The dwarf stands at the cellar door, his weapon ready for what may be waiting on the other side.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 09:22 PM
Mortimer the Warlock

Mortimer joins his companions near the trap door, though standing a few feet away from the hole, with the exit leading to the outside world clearly in view. Let the others be sucked down by some sort of land-squid-abomination. Mortimer would offer fire support but if things got rough, the door was always close at hand.

Camelot
2012-08-26, 11:40 PM
In the magic light, you can see that the walls of the basement are lined with shelves containing jars of food and other supplies for the inn, though many shelves are empty. The middle of the room has stacks of barrels in rows.

After everyone has entered the room and looked around, you hear a high-pitched growl. An enormous rat peers around a barrel and stalks closer, and another creeps out of the shadows on the other side of the room. You notice three other giant rats and two huge centipedes about to come out from behind the barrels as well, attempting to back you into the corner below the trapdoor you came through.

Initiative has been rolled. The adventurers act first, but the monsters are aware of you due to your noisy entrance into the basement.

Felhammer
2012-08-27, 12:19 AM
Mortimer the Warlock

Mortimer scowls, this was just his kind of luck. He came here for some treasure, not rats and... What was that bug? A centipede? A millipede? Mortimer could never keep it straight which was which. Regardless, bugs scared the ale straight out of his blood. "Quickly allies, slaughter these vermin! Let us be rid of these wretches!" With that said, Mortimer backs up towards the exit, then holds out his hand and yells, "Once more into the breach!" A cackling bolt of purple and pink eldritch energy streaks across the basement from Mortimer's hand to the face of the millipede.

Move: Back up towards the ladder/staircase leading back to the top level.

Attack Action:

Name: Eldritch Bolt
Target: Centipede
Attack Roll: [roll0] A NAT 1!?!?! :smallfurious::smallfurious: :smallfrown:
Damage: [roll1]

PChubby
2012-08-27, 02:18 AM
Brumli quickly raises his shield as he catches sight of the critters. "I figured we'd find vermin but thought it'd be kobolds. Time to clean house lads." He says with a determined tone as he takes a swing at the closest creature.

Swing @ a Giant Centipede if there's a choice.
Attack: [roll0]

Summary
Brumli Grimnar

Camelot
2012-08-27, 07:23 AM
Brumli walks into the fray, standing between two rows of barrels in order to get to the centipede, and hammers its innards all over the floor. If the place wasn't abandoned, you'd have a very angry innkeeper to deal with.

Allyzedl
2012-08-27, 09:36 AM
Check to see if Milo is still hidden behind the elf

Stealth check
[roll0]

Milo runs towards the closest centipede and strikes with his shortsword.

Attack:
[roll1]
Damage
[roll2]
If hidden at beginning at start of turn additional Sneak attack damage:
[roll3]

Milo Tealeaf
Lightfoot Halfling Rogue - Bounty Hunter - Thief - Lurker

Str: 16 Dex: 20 Con: 14 Int: 15 Wis: 12 Cha: 10
AC: 16 HP: 8 Initiative: +5 Speed: 25ft Vision: Normal
Melee: +7 1d8+5 (Shortsword)

Camelot
2012-08-27, 01:16 PM
Milo kills the second and final centipede, leaving the five rats.

rorikdude12
2012-08-27, 05:48 PM
Carric fires a beam of blue-tinted white light at one of the rats.

To hit [roll0], Damage [roll1], and the rat is slowed by 10 ft.

I'm using the maneuver Parry, so incoming damage from the first attack toward me is reduced by [roll2]

Camelot
2012-08-27, 06:54 PM
The largest rat suddenly finds itself encased completely in ice. There are four rats remaining, and one of them is a lot bigger than the others, even bigger than Milo.

yugi24862
2012-08-28, 05:03 AM
Brokanas points at the large rat and fires a beam of ice from his finger

ray of frost attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

Allyzedl
2012-08-28, 07:42 AM
Milo tries behind Brokanas before taking any action. Then darts at the closest standing rat and attacks.

Stealth check to hide:
[roll0]
Attack Roll:
[roll1]
Damage Roll:
[roll2]
Sneak attack additional damage, if hidden from rat:
[roll3]

Camelot
2012-08-28, 07:51 AM
Although you killed the centipedes and froze the two largest rats before they could reach anybody, the other three rats have managed to slink past your attacks and get to Milo and Brumli.

Two of the rats surround Milo, and while he is distracted by one of them, the other bites his leg. Brumli uses his shield to block the path of the third rat so that it can't reach either of them.

Enduring the pain in his leg, Milo stabs the rat that bit him. The rat slumps over in a puddle of its own blood, leaving only two rats.

Milo takes 5 piercing damage, reducing him to 3 HP.

PChubby
2012-08-28, 10:00 PM
With a flick of his wrist, Brumli shakes the residual centipede off his warhammer and takes a hefty swing at one of the remaining rats.

Summary:
Brumli Grimnar

Felhammer
2012-08-28, 11:36 PM
Mortimer the Warlock Magic-User

Mortimer audibly groans as his eldritch blast fails to destroy - let a lone hit - the centipede. "Perhaps I should change targets!" The Warlock conjures a purple and pink ball of energy in his hands and flings it at one of the rats that are harassing poor Milo. Following the blast, Mortimer skulks back a bit towards the exit. "Killed by a rat" was not the epitaph the Hill Dwarf wanted to be remembered by.

Move: Move back towards the staircase/ladder.
Attack Action:

Name: Eldritch Bolt
Target: Rat near Milo
Attack Roll: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-08-29, 08:07 AM
The room falls quiet as the rats take their last wheezing breaths. What do you do next?

Allyzedl
2012-08-29, 09:12 AM
As he hobbles around the room, holding his leg, "Can anyone help me out here, that rat hit it and it hurts quite a bit."

PChubby
2012-08-29, 01:48 PM
"Let me have a look at it, I know a thing or two about wounds." Brumli says as he kneels down for a better look at Milo's leg. After a quick examination, the dwarf vigorously rubs his hands together and and grabs the halflings leg. A warm glow flickers between his fingers as he mutters a short prayer. "Bah, you'll live. Next time, dodge to the left a bit quicker." He says with a wry grin.

"Now lets see if there's anything here that was worth that bit o' trouble." Brumli starts rummaging through the cellar looking for things of use.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0] (minimum heals full)

Perception:[roll1] Not sure what skill is used for search (or if one is needed)

rorikdude12
2012-08-29, 02:29 PM
Carric will search for any alcoholic beverages, as well as TREASURE.

[roll0] if needed

Camelot
2012-08-29, 03:39 PM
While searching the shelves, Brumli finds a jar that contains coins instead of food. It contains mostly silver and electrum, with a few gold pieces hidden there too. There are at least 100 coins, probably more, and any adventurer who knows their way around money could estimate the value to be around 50 gold, but it will take a longer time to count it all out exactly.

What's even more interesting is another trapdoor on the floor, partially hidden behind the stacks of barrels. This door looks very different from the construction of the inn, and more recently used.

Carric looks around the room and notices that there is a second exit. Bulkhead doors lead outside, on the same wall that the kobolds were heading towards before they scurried back into the forest.

Allyzedl
2012-08-29, 03:42 PM
Milo walks over to the trap door and inspects it for traps.

Find and Remove Traps check:
[roll0]

Camelot
2012-08-29, 03:52 PM
Milo can say with pretty good certainty that there are no traps on the trapdoor.

Allyzedl
2012-08-29, 04:04 PM
Milo kicks open the trap door and jumps back behind the barrel and hides.

Stealth check:
[roll0]

rorikdude12
2012-08-30, 10:33 AM
Carric tries the bulkhead doors to see if they will open.

Camelot
2012-08-30, 12:33 PM
The bulkhead doors are locked from the outside.

After Milo opens the trapdoor, you can hear that there is no sound coming from the tunnel it leads into. However, it is pitch black inside.

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 06:03 PM

Mortimer scratches his scraggly beard as he peers into the abyss. He retrieves a torch from his backpack and uses his tinderbox to light it. The torch sizzles to life, its bright, warm glow sheds light out to sixty feet. Smiling, he says, "Ah, d'ere we go. I'll be standin' near da' back as we descend inta dat d'ere pit. D'is torch should be more d'en enough light for our purposes."

yugi24862
2012-08-30, 07:55 PM
"That might be a bad idea, from the looks of those kobolds they were coming in here for the food, and when they ran off they went to get renforcments. We should put someone tough at the back"

Allyzedl
2012-08-30, 07:59 PM
Milo suggests, "Or we could lock it from the inside, and investigate what is in the trapdoor."

PChubby
2012-08-31, 02:16 AM
"If we lock the doors from the inside we'll need to lock the door from the bar too. Otherwise they'll just come 'round the way we did." Brumli says as he peers into the open trapdoor. "How about we see whats down there before we start boarding things up."

The cleric climbs down the trap door and surveys the area as his eyes adjust to the dim light.

if needed
perception: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-08-31, 07:06 AM
In the light from the torch, Brumli sees a long, dirty tunnel that turns a corner somewhere and fades into the darkness. Does the group venture down the tunnel to see if this has to do with the kobolds?

rorikdude12
2012-08-31, 07:22 AM
Carric hops down into the tunnel with the intent to VENTURE FORTH!

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 04:58 PM
Mortimer the Walock Magic-User

With his desire for treasure superseding his cowardice, Mortimer follows his companions down into the abyss.

Camelot
2012-08-31, 06:34 PM
The tunnel winds through the ground, and the dwarves can tell that it gradually slopes deeper into the ground. Shoddy wooden beams punctuate the monotony of rock and dirt, but there are no torch holders or lantern hooks, as if whoever built this tunnel didn't need light to see.

I will need to know your marching order. You know, for... bookkeeping reasons.

PChubby
2012-08-31, 07:32 PM
"Well there's more down here than I thought." Brumli shouts up after seeing there's more to the trapdoor in the floor. "It'll be easier to secure this door than both those up top. Lets grab a few boards and some rope if we can find some." The dwarf climbs out of the hole to scavenge what he has in mind.

Looking for a board or similar wide enough to span the trapdoor, some rope, & anything breakable or noisy if dropped (clay/glass jars; a stack of metal plates or jar of metal silverware).

If the door lifts up, tying/wedging something wider underneath it should block the door. If we put something breakable/noisy on it, it should make a crash if they jiggle or break the trapdoor.

If the door opens down, put the noisy items where the door will knock them over if opened.

Not interested in outright preventing entry just jury-rigging a makeshift alarm to warn us.

rorikdude12
2012-09-01, 08:36 AM
In terms of marching order, Carric is in front.

Allyzedl
2012-09-01, 02:26 PM
Milo is walking behind two others, the first being Carric, all while hiding behind the person in front of him.

Stealth check:
[roll0]
*critically hiding* :)

Felhammer
2012-09-01, 02:43 PM

Mortimer takes up a position in the middle of the group and tightly grasps the torch, "Aye, we should be very quiet down here. No tellin' what kind o' crazy critters dwell down here in the abyss."

Stealth Check: [roll0]

I've been having trouble keeping track of who is who here.

{table]Name | Class | Race | Player
Carric Siannodel | Fighter | High Elf | rorikdude12
Milo Tealeaf | Rogue | Lightfoot Halfling | Allyzedl
Brokanas Arcanas | Wizard | Human | yugi24862
Brumli Grimnar | Cleric | Mountain Dwarf | PChubby
Mortimer Mortikind | Warlock | Hill Dwarf | Felhammer [/table]

With this knowledge in hand, I would say the order should go:

Carric <- Milo <- Mortimer <- Brokanas <- Brumli

rorikdude12
2012-09-01, 06:47 PM
Dex Check for Stealth
[roll0]

yugi24862
2012-09-02, 03:57 AM
Brokanas takes up posision near the front.

How about this for a marching order?
Back-Brumli-Mortimer-Milo-Brokanas-Carric-Front

rorikdude12
2012-09-02, 08:47 AM
Brokanas takes up posision near the front.

How about this for a marching order?
Back-Brumli-Mortimer-Milo-Brokanas-Carric-Front

Sounds Good.

Camelot
2012-09-02, 06:06 PM
As Brokanas is walking, he feels a tug on his foot. While Carric stepped over it, Brokanas has triggered a trap. A handaxe swings down from the ceiling and slashes the side of his face.

Brokanas takes 4 slashing damage from the attack.

Felhammer
2012-09-02, 06:54 PM
Mortimer the Warlock Magic User

Mortimer doesn't even see the trap coming. He recoils as he sees an axe swings down and pelt the poor Wizard in the face. "Ack! Dis is why you should be in da back friend."

Camelot
2012-09-04, 08:42 AM
Now more alert, you continue down the tunnel. Carric stops the group when he notices a loose stone in the floor ahead that could be a pressure plate. Sure enough, the walls have tiny holes in them around that area that almost assuredly will shoot darts.

rorikdude12
2012-09-04, 05:01 PM
Carric backs the group up ten feet, then uses mage hand to move his tent bag down on top of the pressure plate.

The tent and it's bag weighs twenty pounds.

Felhammer
2012-09-04, 06:15 PM

Mortimer's eyes light up as he watches Carric, "Ack! Dat is a good plan, boy. Worthy o' a pint o' ale at my Inn, iffin you ever stop by."

Camelot
2012-09-04, 07:23 PM
The bag gets pelted with small darts from the holes in the wall, making the hallway safe for everyone to walk down.

Up ahead, the tunnel makes a sharp turn to the right. It is eerily quiet.

rorikdude12
2012-09-04, 08:02 PM

Mortimer's eyes light up as he watches Carric, "Ack! Dat is a good plan, boy. Worthy o' a pint o' ale at my Inn, iffin you ever stop by."

"Hah! I hope I can sometime!", Carric says, his eyes brightening at the thought of decent ale. He takes a swig of wine, then uses mage hand again to retrieve the tent, which he promptly stores in his back and continues on, periodically casting light spells in front of them as he whistles.

PChubby
2012-09-04, 10:30 PM
"Aye, a wise move master Elf. I wonder what's down here. Someone thought it important to keep intruders out." Brumli says from the rear of the group. He keeps an ear open for what might lie ahead or his impromptu alarm from behind.

Since there was no response I'm assuming you're OK with the alarm booby trap on the trapdoor into the tunnel back in the cellar :)

If needed or applicable...

Perception: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-09-05, 09:11 AM
The group turns the corner to find four kobolds wearing ringmail and carrying short swords and shields blocking the path. "Turn back, bigfolk," one of the kobolds says in accented Common. "You are not welcome here."

rorikdude12
2012-09-05, 05:30 PM
The group turns the corner to find four kobolds wearing ringmail and carrying short swords and shields blocking the path. "Turn back, bigfolk," one of the kobolds says in accented Common. "You are not welcome here."

"We like it here. Can't you show some hospitality?", Carric says as he smiles. He fires a ray of frost at the nearest kobold.

[roll0] initiative
[roll1] to hit
[roll2] damage

Remember that ray of frost ignores armor, or at least I think it does.

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 06:30 PM

Seeing the Elf attack the Kobolds brings joy to Mortimer's heart. As he smiles, the Dwarf yells, "ONCE MORE INTO THE BREACH!"

Attack one of the kobolds:
Attack: [toll]1d20+7[/roll]
Damage: [roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 06:33 PM
Oops, I wrote toll instead of roll. :smallredface:

Attack one of the kobolds:
Damage: 8

Camelot
2012-09-05, 08:34 PM
Carric and Mortimer's attacks both miss, and the kobolds immediately move in to defend their home. Carric and Mortimer each take a spear to the shoulder. After attacking, the kobolds hold up their shields, almost forming a wall to prevent incoming attacks. They are also blocking you in the tunnel, so you'd have to be quite nimble to get past them in order to fight them in melee. Unless you are Mortimer or Carric, you must resort to ranged attacks.

Ray of Frost never mentions anything about ignoring armor, actually. You may be thinking of magic missile, which never misses, but "armor" is only AC, which you have to roll against to see if you hit. There isn't any Armor Reduction that I know of in D&D Next.

Carric takes 4 piercing damage; Mortimer takes 6. I don't want to keep looking back and forth pages at your character sheets, so it would be very convenient if everyone could please post their current Hit Points and AC in your post title during combat, thank you.

rorikdude12
2012-09-05, 08:36 PM
My bad, I must have been thinking of 3.5 Sorry. :smallfrown:

Allyzedl
2012-09-06, 08:20 AM
Milo attacks the kobold on the right side, coming out of the shadows as he does so.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Milo Info:

HP: 8 AC: 16

Camelot
2012-09-06, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry, I made a typo in the last post. Only Carric and Mortimer can make melee attacks; Milo, Brokanas, and Brumli must use ranged attacks to hit the kobolds. I'm going to assume that, for Milo's attack to have worked, Mortimer moved out of the way after his turn.

Also, again, please put your current Hit Points and AC in the title of each post during combat.
Milo jumps up and stabs one of the kobolds in the neck. It collapses, but the kobold next to it moves in to continue blocking your way into the room.

PChubby
2012-09-06, 01:14 PM
"Bah. I would have preferred talking a moment more so I could get up close. Well, too late now. Let's see if I can remember this spell again." Brumli says as he sheathes his hammer. As haltingly speaks a short prayer, the holy symbol around the dwarf's neck glows slightly. With a flick of his wrist a bolt of radiant energy streaks down the tunnel at a kobold.

HP: 10 AC:17

Radiant Lance:
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 10:05 PM
If Mortimer got close to the front, he would run to the back as fast as Dwarvenly possible. He's a bit of a coward/survivalist after all.

rorikdude12
2012-09-07, 05:25 PM
I'm using my Combat Superiority die to reduce that by [roll0] by using Parry.

EDIT: according to that roll I can effectively ignore it. My hp is at max, so I have 9 hp and AC 15.

Carric parries the spear with his longsword as it stabs toward his shoulder.

"This is no hospitality! At least get me some ale before you try to penetrate me!"

yugi24862
2012-09-08, 07:04 AM
Brokanas, still wounded from the trap earlier, fires another bolt of ice at the kobolds.

AC 11 HP 9
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Camelot
2012-09-09, 08:54 PM
Brumli's attack misses, but Brokanas kills another one. The two remaining kobolds glance with brief horror at the carnage, but continue trying to fend you off. One of them shouts over his shoulder in their language, and you hear movement in the tunnel beyond.

PChubby
2012-09-09, 11:47 PM
Brumli shakes his head in disappointment at missing. "Make way & I'll shut those damned things up." He draws his hammer as he makes his way through to the front line and takes a swing at the shouting kobold. "Be quiet you!"

HP: 10 AC: 17

Felhammer
2012-09-10, 09:06 PM

Mortimer sighs, "Iffin you can't hit dem den let a real man do yer job!" Mortimer conjures a small ball of eldritch might and slings it at the Kobold.

A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]

LE SIGH!!! :smallsigh:

Name: Mortimer the Warlock Magic-User

Camelot
2012-09-10, 10:08 PM
Mortimer should probably start to doubt the power of his patron. The kobolds take the opportunity to strike quickly at Brumli and Carric, and a sword pierces Carric's side. They then back away towards the tunnel at the back of the room.

Now that the room is available, you see that it acts as a guard room, apparently to protect the rest of the kobolds, though they aren't doing a great job. There is a barrel with some extra short swords, a small table with a few chairs, and a bucket of what looks like mashed up insects and a few field mice. On the table are several coins, trinkets, and rocks.

Felhammer
2012-09-10, 10:48 PM

Mortimer can't help but think his beautiful patroness has abandoned him, for his eldritch blasts that were once so powerful, are now more ephemeral than anything else. The Dwarf resolves to appease his patroness - he draws his dagger and cuts off a chunk off his stately beard. He would cut his skin so as to rob himself of his own beauty but such an act would arouse suspicion and questions. He takes the clump of beard hair and lets it fall gracefully to the earth. As it does, Mortimer whispers to himself, "Perhaps now you shall favor me a wee bit more."

Name: Mortimer the Warlock Magic-User

rorikdude12
2012-09-11, 05:22 PM
Carric grabs the short swords and the coins.

"Good. These should be handy."

He arms himself with longsword and shield, ready to face the task at hand.

Camelot
2012-09-11, 06:28 PM
The two kobolds are not gone, but rather are guarding the tunnel leading further underground. You can hear scuffling and skittering beyond them.

PChubby
2012-09-12, 10:58 PM
Brumli

"There'll be time for spoils after we've cleared the vermin out."

Brumli moves into the kobolds guarding the tunnel and takes another swing with his hammer.

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

rorikdude12
2012-09-13, 04:25 PM
Carric rolls past the kobold Brumli attacks, then tries to stab him in the back with his longsword.

Using Tumble for Combat Superiority at this point so that I gain advantage from flanking the kobold.

To hit 1 [roll0]
To hit 2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Camelot
2012-09-13, 07:48 PM
Poor Brumli misses again, but Carric somersaults by and his sword plunges straight through the kobold, coming out the other side and killing it.

It seems that I forgot to put the damage from the attack that hit Carric two of my posts ago. You took 3 damage from that attack.

rorikdude12
2012-09-14, 05:16 AM
Ok. HP 6/9, AC 16

rorikdude12
2012-09-15, 06:50 AM
Carric tries to shove the kobold to the ground as he stands behind him.

Strength check? [roll0]

PChubby
2012-09-17, 10:53 PM
Brumli

The cleric shakes his head as he misses with his wide swing. "BAH! It seems Moradin can't hear my prayers over the sound of the forge again." Brumli focuses his attention on the kobold in front of him and swing again.

HP: 10 AC: 17

Sorry for the delay in posts, had a busy weekend

Camelot
2012-09-19, 09:55 PM
The kobolds try to defend themselves, but manage nothing. Brumli brings down the hammer and squishes the skull of one kobold.

Felhammer
2012-09-19, 10:26 PM
Mortimer

Mortimer finishes sulking and rushes over to his allies and sees the fiendishly clever Kobolds. The Dwarf yells, "ONCE MORE INTO THE BREECH!" as he chucks a ball of energy at the fiendish Kobolds.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sorry about my tardiness. I have not received any updates in my email for this thread in a few days. :smalleek:

Camelot
2012-09-20, 05:47 PM
Mortimer explodes the last kobold in the room!

The sounds from the tunnel ahead have died down, almost into an eerie silence. Looking ahead, you realize that there are actually two tunnels that you can choose from. A disgusting aroma wafts from the tunnel to the right, while the tunnel that leads left is decorated with white stones.

Warlocks get a crazy amount of at-will damage!

Felhammer
2012-09-20, 11:26 PM
Mortimer

The Dwarf strokes his beard as he says, "No dat, laddie, is how ye kill a feisty Kobold. You could learn somedin' from watchin' me.

PChubby
2012-09-21, 02:05 AM
Brumli

"Bah! I just had to get Moradin's attention." The cleric says keeping his faith despite his poor performance. He takes a look at his companions looking for signs of injury. "I've a healing kit if the vermin got a lucky shot in."

The dwarf turns back to the tunnels and wrinkles his nose at the smell coming from the right. "I say we go left, those white stones look promising and smell better too. A'fore we go much further tho, lets have a look at what these scalebacks were keeping." He says as he takes a moment to examine the gems and trinkets left on the table.

Perception: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-09-21, 10:29 AM
Although there are no gems, there are 14 silver and 27 copper coins on the table. The trinkets are pieces of bone, tokens made of wood, shiny rocks, and other worthless objects. You figure that they represented something the kobolds were betting with when they were playing cards.

On the other hand, one kind of trinket catches your eye. Among the small coins and valueless objects are five pieces of what appears to be obsidian in the shape of strange skulls, each about the size of a typical human thumb (or dwarf little finger). They do not represent kobold skulls, nor human skulls; they are lacking jaws, have large craniums, and the eyes are elongated. Where the mouth should be is a little hole. Due to the size of the trinkets, they are not very detailed, so examining them to figure out what creature they're supposed to be made to look like is difficult.

Hm, I hope we haven't lost so many players. =( If you want to try to examine the mini skulls, make a Forbidden Lore (Intelligence) check.

rorikdude12
2012-09-21, 06:50 PM
Carric will take only the copper pieces. But he takes all of them.

"The rest is for you, friends."

Felhammer
2012-09-27, 01:51 AM
Mortimer

The greedy dwarf takes his share and dumps it into his sack. He proceeds to hold the sack up to his ear and listen to the gems and coins jingle, all the while giggling like a newborn elf.

PChubby
2012-09-27, 02:06 AM
Brumli

The cleric carefully counts out a small share for himself. "I'll take what I need for tithes and supplies. Lets see whats down that tunnel on the left."

Camelot
2012-09-27, 11:45 AM
You walk down the tunnel in the same marching order. The white rocks are various shapes and sizes, though none gets any larger than an adult's head. There seems to be no pattern to the arrangement of the stones; there are no rows or columns, it just seems haphazard. Nobody in the group knows what they mean, even those who know a bit about kobold culture.

Soon, the tunnel reaches a small cavern, empty except for thousands of white stones embedded in walls, and one giant white stone in the center of the room, cut to have a surface like a table. It's big enough that two people could lay down on it without touching. Unlike the tunnel, the rocks in this room are also in the floor.

PChubby
2012-09-27, 01:51 PM
Brumli

The dwarf looks around the cavern. "I know Kobolds are weird things but this seems strange, even for them." Brumli twists his braids in thought as he recalls his religious training.

Religious Lore: [roll0]

PChubby
2012-09-27, 01:53 PM
Bah, stupid preview killing roll tags.

Religious Lore: [roll0]

Camelot
2012-09-27, 05:52 PM
This has never appeared in any culture Brumli is familiar with.

Are you going to enter this room, or turn around?

rorikdude12
2012-09-28, 04:58 PM
Carric enters the room.

Felhammer
2012-09-30, 06:09 PM
Mortimer follows Carric.

PChubby
2012-10-01, 02:49 PM
Brumli

Brumli cautiously follows Carric & Mortimer. "Watch your backs, this is an odd place."

Camelot
2012-10-01, 06:21 PM
As soon as Carric enters the room, beams of light stream from the white stones, interconnecting with each other to form barriers of white light all over the room. Because of the barriers, you lose sight of the giant stone in the middle of the room and the exit on the other side of the room. However, the barriers do not prevent you from entering the room; they form small hallways.

Carric manages to step back in time to avoid touching the light barrier, but anyone may choose to reach out and see what happens.

rorikdude12
2012-10-01, 06:24 PM
Carric splashes some wine from his wineskin on the field.

Camelot
2012-10-01, 07:59 PM
The beam that the wine hits flashes, impossibly becoming black light for a split second, then returning to white. The wine splashes to the floor.

rorikdude12
2012-10-06, 08:08 AM
The floor inside or outside the field?

Camelot
2012-10-06, 09:03 AM
The wine continued on its path as if nothing interrupted it, so it is now on the other side of the field. The beams of light apparently have no substance, being light.

PChubby
2012-10-06, 03:54 PM
Brumli

Brumli passes the edge of his shield through a beam of light.

Felhammer
2012-10-08, 12:34 AM
Mortimer

Mortimer looks perplexed and more than a little scared as he says, "I dun trust dem Kobolds ta not throw a few traps our way. Be cautious."

rorikdude12
2012-10-08, 05:37 AM
Carric looks over at Mortimer.

"This is more tricky than I thought."

Carric casts ray of frost on the field.

[roll0]

Camelot
2012-10-08, 08:55 PM
The magical bolt fires through the field as if it weren't there.

You hear battle cries from behind you, far down the tunnel. Apparently, the kobolds have gathered their courage and are heading to exterminate you. You can either stay and fight, or enter the hallways of light.

rorikdude12
2012-10-11, 04:39 PM
Carric readies his sword and shield.

"We must hold our ground here."

PChubby
2012-10-12, 05:45 PM
Brumli

"Aye, till we figure out what that room is I'll take my chances fighting the vermin." The cleric readies his shield and weapon for whatever comes his way.

Camelot
2012-10-12, 08:15 PM
A horde of at least 20 kobolds swarms towards you from down the tunnel. They wear only clothing, though a few have tattered leather, and wield various weapons in a manner that shows how untrained they are to fight. However, they outnumber you 6:1.

You three have initiative! I'm going to assume that the other two adventurers have fled the dungeon in fear, so everything will be balanced for three players. If anyone wants to boost your numbers, I can start a thread to get replacements.

rorikdude12
2012-10-13, 09:24 PM
Depends. Will we get XP for anything we've killed so far?

Carric stands against his foes.

If they are in melee range, I slash at them with my longsword.

[roll0]; damage [roll1]

If they are not in melee range, I fire ray of frost at the closest one. If hit, the kobold is slowed by 10 feet.

[roll2]; damage [roll3]

PChubby
2012-10-17, 11:14 PM
Brumli

The battle cleric braces for the scaly onslaught.

Ready action hit the 1st kobold that gets close.

Sorry for the delay, I need to not check threads from my phone so I remember to respond when I'm at the computer :)

As far as adding people, I'm fine either way as long as the encounters are scaled appropriately.

Then again, adding people might add some new enthusiasm. WotC released a new beta and I haven't checked to see what changed. We'd all probably want to update to the new stuff if new people use it.

Camelot
2012-10-19, 12:58 PM
Carric blasts one kobold, but the others just continue past its lifeless body.

I don't think much was changed for the characters (I'm using the new monsters, though). I'll see what I can do about getting new interest. I'm kind of busy this weekend, though.