PDA

View Full Version : Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Friv
2013-11-08, 10:29 PM
I think the big implication everyone missed though is that all the demons can regenerate, as long as they have their base.

Yes, but on the flip side, it's not fast or easy for them to do it, and apparently if more than one is trying to regenerate at once it slows things down. So it's far from an unbeatable system, just a very, very nice one.

Also, if the demons are created from humans, probably most or all of them started off human. Which bolsters the Silver = Grey's Dad theory, I think.

And I suspect that Natsu will narrowly win this one - if they put him up against an enemy who is weak to his tricks, he can win without it looking like Tartaros are pushovers.

Kato
2013-11-09, 05:15 AM
Yes, but on the flip side, it's not fast or easy for them to do it, and apparently if more than one is trying to regenerate at once it slows things down. So it's far from an unbeatable system, just a very, very nice one.
Yep. Okay, they need to likely take the fight to them (or Tartaros has to be stupid enough to send out all its generals at once) and this means finding their base but it's just... well, I guess it's a way to have the Tartaros members fight more than once. Maybe(?)

Also, if the demons are created from humans, probably most or all of them started off human. Which bolsters the Silver = Grey's Dad theory, I think.

Oh come on, just because he looks like an older version and uses the same element doesn't mean he has to be his dad :smalltongue:

I find FT kinda tame if anything and have lost the capacity to see the common complaint of "distracting" because I well don't find it so.

Sooooo desensitized.
Yeah... as I said before, I think Hiro is deliberately making bad fanservice which only pleases the most horny otakus :smalltongue: That's why they only play that sound effect in the anime which makes it much more like a poor joke than an actual ecchi moment. Of course, I could be totally wrong on that.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-09, 10:33 AM
Yeah... as I said before, I think Hiro is deliberately making bad fanservice

Bad fanservice? Where?

Are the characters poorly drawn? I can't agree with that.
Do you prefer less imposing physiques? I can understand that but its a matter of taste

Kato
2013-11-09, 11:31 AM
Bad fanservice? Where?

Are the characters poorly drawn? I can't agree with that.
Do you prefer less imposing physiques? I can understand that but its a matter of taste

No, there's nothing bad about the drawing let alone physique (though I guess that's a metter of taste) but there is just a difference between "drawing a (almost) naked character" and fanservice. And what Hiro does is much more the former than the latter. I forgot who said fans wanted more fanservice or at least exposed skin in Rave but that's what he seems to be going for. He's drawing the girls in revealing clothing but it's been quite a while or only rarely this actually amounts to anything for the lack of a better word arousing (fan service - at least this kind is meant to be arousing, I guess Or erotic. Wherever the difference may be. Sure there are other kinds of fan service but that's the kind we are talking about)
It's just... nakes people. And naked people aren't sexy, they are naked. *shrug*

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-09, 12:13 PM
No, there's nothing bad about the drawing let alone physique (though I guess that's a metter of taste) but there is just a difference between "drawing a (almost) naked character" and fanservice.
*continues to be facetious*

Ahhh... so you want to fanservice by the somewhat older more general defintion that includes say elaborate start up sequences for giant robots and things?

Or do you mean FT isn't covering a wide enough range of selective-taste wear for you?

Kato
2013-11-09, 01:46 PM
Oh, I would LOVE the Faires to get a giant mecha! Or even better, each of them gets their own mecha and then they combine into one giant FAIRY Mecha. That would be excellent.
Can you imagine, Natsu riding into battle in his dragon zord and Grey following him in a giant polar bear?

Oh, I'm not demanding fan service. If I was desperate for that I'd know other shows to go to. I'm just wondering whether Hiro is intentionally making fan service me and likely others are not... I fail to find a proper word again. Fan service we would feel no need to criticize :smalltongue: Anyway, whether he does or does not aim to make sexually arousing fan service.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-09, 10:43 PM
Fan service we would feel no need to criticize

Doesn't actually exist. That's what I'm trying to get across.

You can tell by how any fanservice in any density in any show catches much the same flack for it. From somebody. There simply isn't anything to change that would make it different.

Oh maybe in some faction of people's minds but that's just it, its entirely in the mind. Not in the show, any show. So change yourself instead.

And well turning it into plot relevant erotica or simply eliminating it... well then that wouldn't be fanservice anymore.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 06:12 PM
Episode 78. Just starting the story arc with the other world. Oh boy, this is gonna be a LOOOONG story arc, isn't it?

I can't decide what I dislike more here, that there shaping up to really rub the opposite personality's joke raw into the viewer, or that were having to deal with it in a world were everyone's powers are gonna be beaten to death with the nerf bat.

LaZodiac
2013-11-10, 06:58 PM
Episode 78. Just starting the story arc with the other world. Oh boy, this is gonna be a LOOOONG story arc, isn't it?

I can't decide what I dislike more here, that there shaping up to really rub the opposite personality's joke raw into the viewer, or that were having to deal with it in a world were everyone's powers are gonna be beaten to death with the nerf bat.

It's as bad as you think it will be.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:01 PM
It's as bad as you think it will be.

*groan.*

And let me guess, it's critical to following the plot line that I not skip this story arc, isn't it?

LaZodiac
2013-11-10, 07:03 PM
*groan.*

And let me guess, it's critical to following the plot line that I not skip this story arc, isn't it?

Do you care about Mist Gun?

If not...actually no it's completely irrelevant.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:10 PM
Mysticgan? As in Dude who is and isn't totally linked to at least 3 character arcs by a conservative counting?

Cause if the answers no, then yeah, I may just bypass this story arc.

LaZodiac
2013-11-10, 07:12 PM
Mysticgan? As in Dude who is and isn't totally linked to at least 3 character arcs by a conservative counting?

Yha, that guy. I forgot what the official name for him is, I've always called him Mist Gun. If you care about that guy, the arc is important. If you don't you can skip it.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:18 PM

If he wasn't tied into Erza, Wendy and Jellal. *sigh*. No help for it.

lord_khaine
2013-11-10, 07:20 PM

I will also point out, that while i do consider it one of the weakest arcs, then it still has some avesome moments :smallsmile:

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:30 PM
I will also point out, that while i do consider it one of the weakest arcs, then it still has some avesome moments :smallsmile:

It's not even that it's weak, it's that at the get go were saying the things that were most enjoyable, the characters, both for the awesome combat and there generally very charismatic personality's and arcs, and the really well done fight scenes, are out the window to make this set up happen.

But because Mystican has to be all tied up in a whole bunch of character arcs, and he HAS to be tied up in this one, I'm gonna be stuck druging through it.

How many eps is this arc anyway? Does it at least have the decency to be short?

LaZodiac
2013-11-10, 07:32 PM
How many eps is this arc anyway? Does it at least have the decency to be short?

I don't know how long it is since I've only read the manga.

Also...Mysty pants never shows up again after this arc anyway

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:34 PM
I don't know how long it is since I've only read the manga.

Also...Mysty pants never shows up again after this arc anyway

So, wait, what your telling me is.....

I can skip this arc cause it has no appreciable impact on the story other then to get rid of one background character, and the bit twist is that the character we though was important to like 3 major characters character arcs is, in point of fact, not important at all as it happens? Do I have that right?

chainer1216
2013-11-10, 07:46 PM
kinda, they also gain two more background characters.

i haven't seen that far in the anime but i kinda liked that arc in the manga, it had some really cool fights.

Erza Vs Erza! alt Erza even uses the 10 commandments from rave masters!

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 07:48 PM
Right, so here's a question, what ep does this arc end at so I can skip ahead then.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-10, 09:19 PM
Honestly folks is it that hard to look up Mystogan (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Mystogan) aka ミストガン (Misutogan)?

Although I don't think the Edolas arc is somehow particularly pointless, because that would imply that somehow the manga shouldn't have independent arcs... I just thought it wasn't very interesting once the gag was done.

Of course Pantherlily is freaking awesome, you might skim it for him just so you have straight how awesome he is.

Zaydos
2013-11-10, 09:22 PM
I enjoyed some of the fights i.e. the two major ones Erza v Erza and the one where the three dragon slayers teamed up and kicked some tail, but otherwise it felt slow and like it didn't live up to the rest of the series that came before it.

Metahuman1
2013-11-10, 09:33 PM
I'm sure I can run a search or two and find the two fights in video format so that I can watch them later on, but for now, I'd just like to know what ep this story arc ends with so I can cut across it.

LaZodiac
2013-11-10, 09:36 PM
Honestly folks is it that hard to look up Mystogan (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Mystogan) aka ミストガン (Misutogan)?

Although I don't think the Edolas arc is somehow particularly pointless, because that would imply that somehow the manga shouldn't have independent arcs... I just thought it wasn't very interesting once the gag was done.

Of course Pantherlily is freaking awesome, you might skim it for him just so you have straight how awesome he is.

...RIGHT, I forgot it explained what the cats are. And it had Gajeel's hilarious "...I WANT A CAT! ALL THE OTHER DRAGONSLAYERS HAVE CATS! I WANT A CAT" plot thread.

Friv
2013-11-10, 11:23 PM
Edolas is a big arc for Happy and a core arc for Carla, and also a core arc for Mystogon and a decently important one for Natsu, Elfman and Mirajane.

Personally, I thought that it was a lot of fun, though, other than one fairly major plot development that kind of saddened me...

The return of Lisanna through not entirely logical methods.

Kato
2013-11-11, 03:15 AM
Oh, geez, the Edolas arc really is more important than one might think... I forgot about that as well... somehow :smallredface:
(Also, I don't think it's that bad. They're not dragging aout the mirror-Fairies that much from what I recall.

So, uhm... yeah, if you don't watch it at least let people tell you what happens or you might be confused. And in my opinion... just watch it?

lord_khaine
2013-11-11, 05:54 AM
Or just read though the manga episodes?
They are a lot faster than seing the episodes, and still covers both the story, and the awesome moments, like Grey's fight.

Spacewolf
2013-11-11, 06:56 AM
It also expands on one of my favorite character arcs so I liked that arc.

Metahuman1
2013-11-11, 06:25 PM
Alright, So having look up what ep this arc ends on, I've come to the conclusion I'm just gonna bypass it and go back a bit later and watch the Erza vs Erza and triple drgonslayer team up fights.

Anyone care to lay out any other meaningful developments other then the following that happen?

Lisanna Coming back and Mystogan apparently disappears for some reason?

LaZodiac
2013-11-11, 06:29 PM
Alright, So having look up what ep this arc ends on, I've come to the conclusion I'm just gonna bypass it and go back a bit later and watch the Erza vs Erza and triple drgonslayer team up fights.

Anyone care to lay out any other meaningful developments other then the following that happen?

Gajeel get's a cat that can become a muscle cat through magic. That's about it.

Mystogan is actually the alt universe version of Gerared/Jelelal/Whatever.

Friv
2013-11-11, 10:22 PM

Alright, fine.
* Mystogan is Jellal from another universe, and so remains in the universe that he is from.
* Carla and Happy are also from another universe, as are all sorts of other cat people, some of whom will return in future arcs as minor characters.
* Carla thought her mission from her people was to kill Wendy, and was super-torn up about it. Now she's feeling guilty about it.
* Gajeel recruits a third cat, Panther Lily, who will be hanging around going forwards. He can shapeshift into a cat-human.
* Lisanna was sucked into another universe a long time ago. She's back now.
* The our-universe version of a bunch of the Edolas characters will re-appear in a future filler arc.

Kato
2013-11-15, 12:58 PM
New chapter

Natsu beats Jackal up pretty badly even punching him in the face when he's about to say something (that was pretty funny, actually) Too bed he stops mid-pummel because (???). Anyway, Jackal starts threatening council guy who won't tell anything about something he doesn't know anything about. Something called Faith and/or white inheritance. We'll see.

Jackal turns the tides when he reveals anything he touches becomes a bomb. And now Natsu is a bomb. Ouch?

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-15, 02:44 PM
Fairy tail REALLY needs to start administering coup de graces against these guys >.> Thats twice where the demon has come back after being knocked out and turned the fight around

LaZodiac
2013-11-15, 06:27 PM
New chapter

Natsu beats Jackal up pretty badly even punching him in the face when he's about to say something (that was pretty funny, actually) Too bed he stops mid-pummel because (???). Anyway, Jackal starts threatening council guy who won't tell anything about something he doesn't know anything about. Something called Faith and/or white inheritance. We'll see.

Jackal turns the tides when he reveals anything he touches becomes a bomb. And now Natsu is a bomb. Ouch?

So basically Natsu is fighting Bombietta Basterbine from Bleach. Unfortunately he's not an invincible zombie ghost werewolf, and thus gets wrecked.

Though...didn't they JUST show Natsu not get hurt by the explosion at all and then eat it? Also, one day a manga is going to have an explosion based character who isn't tied to fire. Because explosions aren't fire god damnit.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-15, 06:37 PM
So basically Natsu is fighting Bombietta Basterbine from Bleach. Unfortunately he's not an invincible zombie ghost werewolf, and thus gets wrecked.

Though...didn't they JUST show Natsu not get hurt by the explosion at all and then eat it? Also, one day a manga is going to have an explosion based character who isn't tied to fire. Because explosions aren't fire god damnit.

Gonna be honest here... liked the second version of that concept this week a lot better

Friv
2013-11-15, 06:58 PM
Though...didn't they JUST show Natsu not get hurt by the explosion at all and then eat it?

Natsu can eat explosions, but if it's parts of his body that are viciously exploding, eating them is not going to really help his situation.

LaZodiac
2013-11-15, 08:32 PM
Gonna be honest here... liked the second version of that concept this week a lot better

Which one would that be? I presume Fairy Tail since that one actually has some understandablility to it.

Natsu can eat explosions, but if it's parts of his body that are viciously exploding, eating them is not going to really help his situation.

Right, right.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-15, 08:53 PM
Which one would that be? I presume Fairy Tail since that one actually has some understandablility to it.

Which as it happens also came out second.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-15, 09:22 PM

There could of been a THIRD villian this week who turns things into explosions that came out before Bleach. :smalltongue:

LaZodiac
2013-11-15, 09:24 PM

Wasn't entirely sure, sorry :smallredface::smallbiggrin:

chainer1216
2013-11-16, 01:56 AM

how much you wanna bet Natsu will still have a hand and knee despite them "viciously exploding" though?

Kato
2013-11-16, 04:56 AM
how much you wanna bet Natsu will still have a hand and knee despite them "viciously exploding" though?

Nope, clearly he will end up like Gildartz and then get super powered because of that. As we all know: Losing essential body parts in anime has no effect on your fighting prowess.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-21, 06:54 PM
Nope, clearly he will end up like Gildartz and then get super powered because of that. As we all know: Losing essential body parts in anime has no effect on your fighting prowess.

The sad thing is that I can't think of a single example of a character losing a body part and becoming weaker...

Maybe the Raikage from Naruto once he lost his arm? He really isn't slowed down much though. Well... Kirito from SAO lost his arm and that would of made him weaker but since its an MMO he just regenerates it in next scene so that really doesn't count...

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-21, 07:06 PM
Well its simple. A tragedy like that and dealing with it isn't shonen, probably isn't anime/manga period its... Hallmark feel good TV movie faire.

So any weakness is going to be purely a passing thing until the ultra-cool replacement is put on.

Metahuman1
2013-11-21, 07:28 PM
So I wanted to declare I hate you all and explain why. :smallwink:

Right, finally done with the alternate world story arc, after ending up having to skim/watch the second half of it after all just to see 2 fights.

Erza vs. Erza was, admittedly, made of badass. Three Dragon Slayers battle was cool. And I actually have to give it to Grey and Lucy, they both got an enjoyable fight to watch.

And I will admit I warmed up some to alternate world Wendy, Lucy, Mira and Elfman.

God almighty and I though American comic books had convoluted resurrection plots! The only reason I'm not beating my head to a wall over this is that well, She's got cha, and I LIKE a lot of the characters who were glad she's back cause they similarly have Cha, and since there glad she's back and what I've seen of her paints her likeable it makes me not hate the plot point.

Anyway, I personally though that was dumb on Mystogans part at the end. I mean, get rid of all the magic? After all the stuff we'd seen previously you seriously wanna tell me that's the best you had for a fix to the problem?

I mean, come on, go back to earthland, quite the guild and tell Markarov to warn the council that you've "gone Rogue", Hi jack that super weapon form the tower of heaven arc and fire a couple of blasts for Anima to convert into Lacrama, and then blow them up! Boom, problem solved. Then just go back to the other world and take on the ruler-ship. If you needed a bad guy still, the rest could I'm sure do something or other and you can show your S-class badassdom and still win peoples approval. And meanwhile the council can't get you, and they can't go after Fairy Tail cause they'd already been warned by Fairy Tail that you'd gone off the deep end and were dangerous.

The way it was done felt like giving the other world the short end of the stick for no good reason.

Anyway, beyond that, not as horrible as I was bracing for, but I am glad it's over. Here's to a better next arc.

LaZodiac
2013-11-22, 01:48 PM
New chapter!: I like this concept, actually.

Then it got ****ing stupid. God damnit Natsu.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/107/c/6/Enchantment_by_meonlyred.jpg

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-22, 02:16 PM
New chapter!: I like this concept, actually.

Then it got ****ing stupid. God damnit Natsu.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/107/c/6/Enchantment_by_meonlyred.jpg

Really I didn't think it was that bad. I mean I hope Natsu will explain more as what he did next chapter so its not up to interpretation but Natsu has already done something like this before, like when he burned off Sting's magic on his chest in the grand magic arena. Natsu eating explosion magic before it explodes or transferring it somehow is not really that absurd. Also Jackal's face in the last panel made it worth it :smalltongue:

I would prefer wendy and Lucy to be able to do something more in this fight though. Wendy could go buffer again and boost natsu but I can't think of a summon of Lucy's that would really help here.

Zaydos
2013-11-22, 03:00 PM
I'm going to agree with Silva, it is in fitting with Natsu's established abilities (it's nothing he hasn't done before) and the last panel made everything else worth it. Also doing it seems to have injured him.

Though yes I do wonder how curses are different from magic, and get the feeling it would be clearer in the Japanese.

Kato
2013-11-22, 03:48 PM
I'll have to agree with the two above... It's not perfect but it fits with what Natsu did in the tournament. I'm willing to let it go.
And Jackal's face really is worth it. Natu's face isn't bad, either.

I am curious, though, what the difference between "enchanment" and"magic" is supposed to be. Probably just a fancier name... or because it's demon magic? Ah, whatever.

Also... I'm sure I'm not the only one but... I hate that council guy much more than Jackal. Can we please let him die?
The whole hostage scene was pretty stupid anyway... there was no proper way out except someone appearing out of nowhere and hitting him in the face. Can't have Lucy let either of them die...

LaZodiac
2013-11-22, 04:22 PM
I personally think it would of been better if the councilmen died. Fairy Tail would of been defeated for once. But instead Natsu can just suck out the explosion enchantment like snake venom. It still hurts, but signifigently less so.

Also, what did Natsu do at the tournament again? I blocked out/forgot all of that.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-22, 06:38 PM
I personally think it would of been better if the councilmen died. Fairy Tail would of been defeated for once. But instead Natsu can just suck out the explosion enchantment like snake venom. It still hurts, but signifigently less so.

Also, what did Natsu do at the tournament again? I blocked out/forgot all of that.

Sting put some kind of magical stun tattoo on Natsu and Natsu just burned off the magic. So if he can do that to holy/light magic then he can probably do it with this kind of magic as well.

And ya Fairy Tail being defeated would be a nice chance of pace but if they were defeated here why would Mr Explosion let them leave? A defeat here would mean Natsu + Lucy + Wendy die. Because as they both demonstrated wendy and lucy can't fight Mr Explosion.

LaZodiac
2013-11-22, 07:41 PM
Sting put some kind of magical stun tattoo on Natsu and Natsu just burned off the magic. So if he can do that to holy/light magic then he can probably do it with this kind of magic as well.

And ya Fairy Tail being defeated would be a nice chance of pace but if they were defeated here why would Mr Explosion let them leave? A defeat here would mean Natsu + Lucy + Wendy die. Because as they both demonstrated wendy and lucy can't fight Mr Explosion.

Because Jackal, despite having such a crazy power as explosions, is actually a smart villain, lets say. He finishes his mission and then leaves. He doesn't want to risk getting popped like Tempest did, even if he's confident that he could win.

Also, okay. That seems kind of silly, but okay.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-22, 07:55 PM
Not sure what exactly your expecting La Zodiac with this FT must loose kick you been on for awhile.

Fairy Tale just lost the fight just a few chapters ago remember. So they've had their early beating for the arc and now its arse kicking time to follow up with a few more twists then a final glorious victory. Business as usual seems to me, kinda business as usual for shonen period.

This is hardly a dark enough manga to require tragic defeats at the end of the arc.

Also Natsu has (quite unusually) been in serious mode to start with this fight but is normally been pretty invincible when in it.

LaZodiac
2013-11-22, 08:05 PM
I don't really count Laxus, since he's such an odd factor in all of this. He can single handed take out Raven Tail, but he can't beat this one demon, but Natsu can beat the demon stronger then that demon.

What I mean is right now I'm not even remotely threatened by them, because Natsu didn't lose when by all rights he should of.

lord_khaine
2013-11-22, 08:13 PM
I don't really count Laxus, since he's such an odd factor in all of this. He can single handed take out Raven Tail, but he can't beat this one demon, but Natsu can beat the demon stronger then that demon.

I dont quite know where you are comming from here, Laxus stomped that deamon with the same ease he has fough any other human opponent past the time skip, it just turned out it had a suicide bomb that was more or less threathening the entire town, and he tried to suck it up to save everyone.

Meanwhile Natsy has been given the machup that favors him the most, where is ability to eat the opponents main type of attack gives him a huge advantage, yet its still a close fight so far.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-22, 08:40 PM

What I mean is right now I'm not even remotely threatened by them, because Natsu didn't lose when by all rights he should of.

Well yeah... but you've been on a kick about FT as a guild being completely invincible. Not only was Laxus taken down by a suicide bomb, said bomb also ripped up the otherwise pretty respectable Raijinshuu outright.

And beyond the details I wonder what exactly your reading. I mean when do you ever consider the good guys to be threatened in shonen? Defeats are generally either temporary at best or for some side character, and the ultimate outcome's pretty clear. Actual defeats are a major mood swing from that and consequently rare. Expecting enemies to pose a "real" threat just seems to be kinda a premise that isn't going to be sustained by anything.

Heck even here right now, not like you saw the body or showed Natsu being defeated. Thats a pretty standard fake out right there. Best guess on this fight is that Jackal is getting beat to have a closer rematch with Natsu in the inevitable assault on Tartarus' base prior to Natsu punching the stuffing out of the final boss.

Silva Stormrage
2013-11-22, 09:14 PM

I agree that Laxus's power is a bit absurd right now (Hence the author took him out with the suicide bomb. Plotwise he is too strong ATM) But this is not a fair matchup for the Mr Explosion, Natsu hard counters pretty much all of his techniques. I mean if Natsu can't beat the demon whose only attacks are flames. Well I would wonder why Tartarus couldn't just slaughter everyone in their way. I mean really, if Natsu can't fight him then erza, lucy, gray, wendy, gajeel and the rest of fairy tail probably couldn't fight him either.

Having a villain that is so beyond the heroes can be entertaining but it runs into the problem Bleach had with Aizen, Where people were wondering why Aizen didn't just show up and kill everyone already.

LaZodiac
2013-11-22, 09:37 PM
Meanwhile Natsy has been given the machup that favors him the most, where is ability to eat the opponents main type of attack gives him a huge advantage, yet its still a close fight so far.

And beyond the details I wonder what exactly your reading. I mean when do you ever consider the good guys to be threatened in shonen? Defeats are generally either temporary at best or for some side character, and the ultimate outcome's pretty clear. Actual defeats are a major mood swing from that and consequently rare. Expecting enemies to pose a "real" threat just seems to be kinda a premise that isn't going to be sustained by anything.

Heck even here right now, not like you saw the body or showed Natsu being defeated. Thats a pretty standard fake out right there. Best guess on this fight is that Jackal is getting beat to have a closer rematch with Natsu in the inevitable assault on Tartarus' base prior to Natsu punching the stuffing out of the final boss.

What I mean is that...for example, One Piece. They're currently revving up to fight Doflamingo. I actually think they could lose. I KNOW they won't because "shounen lols" and what not, but I do actually feel like he COULD win. With Tartarus? I don't actually think they can win, at all. For one, Laxus only lost because of the suicide bomb, as mentioned. But now they know that's a thing, so they can just figure out how to heal it, which they clearly do know how since they mentioned it, and it'll never be a problem.

Jackal's going to lose and it's going to be lame. Two, maybe three of the demons are just going to get curb stomped to pieces based on design alone (they look like cannon fodder, is what I mean). The rest will get a fight about the same as Fairy Tail has always had.

The problem is that so far, every fight since Gildartz beat Natsu has felt like, to me, Laxus beating Raven Tail one handed, or when Gajeel and Natsu beat the Shadow and Light slayers. Here are some really great villains with cool powers that are built up really well. Now they just get beaten into a pulp with barely any effort. Every fight has felt like that to me.

Kato
2013-11-23, 04:53 AM
Well, the Dragon SLayer fight is... a exaggeration of FT's "friendship wins" theme, I guess. I remember a lot of people being upset about it and if it wasn't such a deep founded theme in the story I guess I would have been as well.

But FT Doesn't just curb stomp anyone. Gray got defeated pretty badly in his first tournament battle. And Laxus... well, he kind of lost the last fight, If not by power then by enemy evil trickery.

And Natsu hasn't won yet. (Okay, I guess he will)
There also kind of the issue... FT doesn't kill for fun. I'm a bit surprised the council was just killed of like that. And the demons to be serious villains need to be killers, I guess. So there are only two options: Let the demons kill dozens of people or have FT stop them. Yeah, I wouldn't mind Jackal killing the council guy (for more than one reason) but unless he makes a hasty escape because he only barely managed to do so afterwards, he either needs to get pounded or we will have a death toll of 3+ fairies.

Hopeless
2013-11-23, 07:42 AM
So anyone figure Natsu or one of the others mention they aren't the strongest in the Guild?

I can imagine jackal's face if he thinks they assigned Fairy Tail's weakest members to defend this specific council member... now imagine if he comments about the other targets and I guess Jellal being targeted only to have Natsu laugh and then comment that he feels sorry for whoever they send after him!

I can imagine Lucy even joining in asking just how much does Jackal and Tarterus knows about Fairy Tail before they cut to whoevers approaching the next target only to see Erza talking to Jellal...

Kato
2013-11-23, 05:42 PM
I can imagine Lucy even joining in asking just how much does Jackal and Tarterus knows about Fairy Tail before they cut to whoevers approaching the next target only to see Erza talking to Jellal...

:smallbiggrin: That would be glorious! "I am XXX of Tartaros and I have come to ki-" "Meteor!" "Requip!" Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place... I'd almost pity them.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-23, 06:38 PM
What I mean is that...for example, One Piece. They're currently revving up to fight Doflamingo. I actually think they could lose. I KNOW they won't because "shounen lols" and what not, but I do actually feel like he COULD win. With Tartarus? I don't actually think they can win, at all. For one, Laxus only lost because of the suicide bomb, as mentioned. But now they know that's a thing, so they can just figure out how to heal it, which they clearly do know how since they mentioned it, and it'll never be a problem.

Well if you know then aren't you just sorta arbitrarily lying to yourself. Most enemies anywhere have a success ratio little above Team Rocket. Why do you still expect otherwise.

And even then blowing up a half a town in seconds isn't sufficiently menancing?

Also you do realize its not just "shonen lols" nonsense but has a solid ration purpose? Portraying fights with any approach to reality, rationality, logic, etc... means that often the villains will win. Thus either you create a much much much grimmer story as result or you have much less creative freedom because every result must remain "plausible" internally. The former is a genre switch and the latter is restrictive without guaranteeing quality storytelling.

The problem is that so far, every fight since Gildartz beat Natsu has felt like, to me, Laxus beating Raven Tail one handed, or when Gajeel and Natsu beat the Shadow and Light slayers. Here are some really great villains with cool powers that are built up really well. Now they just get beaten into a pulp with barely any effort. Every fight has felt like that to me.

Umm yeah seems to me you have allowed Tenrou Island to shape your entire perceptions of the manga.

lord_khaine
2013-11-23, 08:34 PM
Umm yeah seems to me you have allowed Tenrou Island to shape your entire perceptions of the manga.

Kinda disagree there, there have been other nice and close fights earlier, but things really took a dive with the dragons slayer fight.

LaZodiac
2013-11-23, 11:54 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. It's just...seeing Natsu finally admit he can't beat everyone when fighting Gildartz. And then Natsu meets a guy who uses God Slayer Flames, something so powerful even he can't eat it.

And then he eats it and wins because...SPIRIT. It just seems so...completely at odds with the lesson Natsu LEARNED on this island. You can't win every fight. You can't just rush in head first and expect to win. But then he does so for the rest of the series.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-24, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I'm sorry about that. It's just...seeing Natsu finally admit he can't beat everyone when fighting Gildartz. And then Natsu meets a guy who uses God Slayer Flames, something so powerful even he can't eat it.

And then he eats it and wins because...SPIRIT. It just seems so...completely at odds with the lesson Natsu LEARNED on this island. You can't win every fight. You can't just rush in head first and expect to win. But then he does so for the rest of the series.

Off hand I'm struggling to find anything like the Gildartz "fight" for Natsu. Including the very next fight with Fire God Slayer guy. So in full context... well then its the Gildartz incident that is the aberration we must sort of wall off as an isolated incident and not read too much into it.

Actually if anything we should probably criticize Gildartz (or that chapter rather) for muddying the water unnecessarily because clearly Natsu can beat anyone with guts and friendship. Clearly it didn't go anywhere so it must be the problem!

Alright maybe not but we can't take that sort of thing as defining the series. If our definitions are wrong then of course the show won't match up to them. Those definitions must change, because the show sure isn't.

LaZodiac
2013-11-24, 01:03 AM
The fact that it won't change is what makes me sad, I guess. Because Fairy Tail has so much potential, wasted. Ah well, still fun to read and discuss about :smallamused:

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-24, 01:23 AM
The fact that it won't change is what makes me sad, I guess. Because Fairy Tail has so much potential, wasted. Ah well, still fun to read and discuss about :smallamused:

Well for potential to be wasted it needs to have existed. Which I think is the error here, it never existed. Sure everything is sorta out there, but to separate a single story form say just any possible story (particularly one's you might have half-formed in your head) we need to look at where the story was going to go.

And never having existed isn't nessecarily a limitation or a knock on the quality, just a design choice. This is *tries to think of an example* say G Gundam versus 8th MS Team Gundam. Whichever you may like better despite both being Gundam shows they neither had potential to be the other. And putting them in anything like those sorts of terms is amounts to not everything being better.... but everything being the same.

lord_khaine
2013-11-24, 05:46 AM
Off hand I'm struggling to find anything like the Gildartz "fight" for Natsu. Including the very next fight with Fire God Slayer guy. So in full context... well then its the Gildartz incident that is the aberration we must sort of wall off as an isolated incident and not read too much into it.

Actually in both the Godslayer and Lightning Dragon Slayer fights, then Natsu would have been killed by his opponents if not for outside influence lending a hand at a critical moment.

Those are what i would call technical defeats for Natsu, and something that shows he isnt completely invincible. Its just a shame they have been rare lately.

Socratov
2013-11-29, 06:45 AM
So, we can agreethat Natsu is still awesome, yet not infallible. And he's not anti magic dust, but an explosive? Sopmehow it does not really make sense with his kind of magic or curse. I like how Natu's acquiring lightning elements hasn't been forgotten (like in Bleach, Ichigo's fullbring). And OMG Happy! You have a powerup form with an afro? WE all know where this leads becuase in Japanese symbolism an dAfro is the pinnacle of awesome :smallcool:

I bet next up is Zero vs. Gray and I am seriously hoping for a "Gray, I am your father" moment. It would be plain awesome if yet stolen.

LaZodiac
2013-11-29, 09:27 AM
Blargh if Happy was able to survive the explosion, what are the chances this would of even scratched the likes of Erza?

Sorry, sorry. I will note though that having each demon has their own unique death curse makes sense, though Jackal's could stand to be a bit more...you know, effective.

Socratov
2013-11-29, 09:33 AM
Blargh if Happy was able to survive the explosion, what are the chances this would of even scratched the likes of Erza?

Sorry, sorry. I will note though that having each demon has their own unique death curse makes sense, though Jackal's could stand to be a bit more...you know, effective.

Well, that said we know nothing of happy's talents, as he hasn't used any before... (and Exceed do seem to have special talents). And it seemed before Happy flew him off, that he was going to be pretty damn effective...

LaZodiac
2013-11-29, 09:38 AM
Well, that said we know nothing of happy's talents, as he hasn't used any before... (and Exceed do seem to have special talents). And it seemed before Happy flew him off, that he was going to be pretty damn effective...

Well yeah it SEEMED effective, but it barely even hurt Happy. To use Slayer's terms, it did Comedic Damage to him. That shouldn't happen with the main villain's suicide gambit.

I mean yeah, this shows that such a powerful guy that he can knock NAtsu around for a bit, he's actually not all that strong since he can't even signifigently hurt a birdcat with his suicide, whereas Tempest's suicide is effectively a nuclear bomb. So it's like "oh man I wonder how powerful the others are!" and stuff. But it just seems like this was a bad way to play the situation.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-29, 10:33 AM
So, we can agreethat Natsu is still awesome, yet not infallible. And he's not anti magic dust, but an explosive? Sopmehow it does not really make sense with his kind of magic or curse. I like how Natu's acquiring lightning elements hasn't been forgotten (like in Bleach, Ichigo's fullbring). And OMG Happy! You have a powerup form with an afro? WE all know where this leads becuase in Japanese symbolism an dAfro is the pinnacle of awesome :smallcool:

I bet next up is Zero vs. Gray and I am seriously hoping for a "Gray, I am your father" moment. It would be plain awesome if yet stolen.

Well apparently each demon is some kind of living spell given form. This goes back to Lullaby actually now that I think about it.

They aren't and never were the same spell though.

Well yeah it SEEMED effective, but it barely even hurt Happy. To use Slayer's terms, it did Comedic Damage to him. That shouldn't happen with the main villain's suicide gambit.

I mean yeah, this shows that such a powerful guy that he can knock NAtsu around for a bit, he's actually not all that strong since he can't even signifigently hurt a birdcat with his suicide, whereas Tempest's suicide is effectively a nuclear bomb. So it's like "oh man I wonder how powerful the others are!" and stuff. But it just seems like this was a bad way to play the situation.

Oh come now lighten up. You really want high body counts in FT? Everyone but some non-combatants is coming out of this all beat up.

Besides much like a certain other case in another manga its obvious what went down... get enough distance to save the nameless surrounding characters and then ditch to get enough distance to save yourself.

LaZodiac
2013-11-29, 10:47 AM
Oh come now lighten up. You really want high body counts in FT? Everyone but some non-combatants is coming out of this all beat up.

Besides much like a certain other case in another manga its obvious what went down... get enough distance to save the nameless surrounding characters and then ditch to get enough distance to save yourself.

Naw, I don't want a body count, I just got big flashbacks to when that short guy from Dragonball Z sacraficed himself to try and beat Nappa, and I'm like "that was a good scene, I'm shocked Fairy Tail is doing something like that". And then it becomes an afro joke, which...well, kind of makes me less threatened by Jackal. He couldn't even knock Happy unconscious :smallbiggrin:

But yes, you're right. Maybe next chapter we'll get an explanation like "oh, Happy used his super speed to evade most of the blast" or what not. And I DO like the concept of the demons, each one basically an embodiment of a certain type of spell, that's cool and all. I just think it could be executed a bit better.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-11-29, 10:59 AM
Naw, I don't want a body count, I just got big flashbacks to when that short guy from Dragonball Z sacraficed himself to try and beat Nappa, and I'm like "that was a good scene, I'm shocked Fairy Tail is doing something like that". And then it becomes an afro joke, which...well, kind of makes me less threatened by Jackal. He couldn't even knock Happy unconscious :smallbiggrin:

Chiaotzu.

I'd also point out that even then death was barely more then a slap on the wrist in Dragon Ball. Most series not having that well...

But yes, you're right. Maybe next chapter we'll get an explanation like "oh, Happy used his super speed to evade most of the blast" or what not. And I DO like the concept of the demons, each one basically an embodiment of a certain type of spell, that's cool and all. I just think it could be executed a bit better.

I don't think they have to per say, just as long as its not all point blank ha-ha Happy is crazy tough afterall.

Now Pantherlily or Carla.....

LaZodiac
2013-11-29, 11:38 AM
I'll be honest, if it was Pantherlily, even if he wasn't in his buff mode, I'd be totally okay with this. I probably just forgot how durable the Exceed actually are.

Socratov
2013-11-29, 11:51 AM
I'll be honest, if it was Pantherlily, even if he wasn't in his buff mode, I'd be totally okay with this. I probably just forgot how durable the Exceed actually are.

well, if gnomes get +2 for being gnomes, it'snot even that much of a stretch...

Kato
2013-12-03, 06:59 AM
Way to late but... you know, I was half expecting Happy to... well, not die but at least be seriously hurt. At least wait for the reveal until the next chapter or so! Yeah, it would be a total ripoff of Peru's scene in One Piece but still.
Again I feel Hiro is deliberately going against conventions when it comes to actually creating drama instead of just annoying the audience.

And... well, maybe Exceed really are super sturdy. I think there was some instance in Edolas when they showed they could take quite some punishment.

Hopeless
2013-12-03, 09:30 AM
We are referring to Natsu's Happy aren't we?

Given the stuff he goes through I'd be surprised if Happy wasn't as ridiculously tough as he was!:smallamused:

Pantherlily's buff form is listed under awesome, Wendy's exceed is listed under Oracle and Happy is listed under Insane... after all those episodes/chapters somehow I doubt the demon figured on being flown up into the sky by a winged cat but thats Fairy Tail for you!:smallwink:

Kato
2013-12-06, 06:43 AM
New chap.

Oh, look, another puppeteer mage. But first, a lot of the guys came too late. But apparently some demons are more gruesome than others.

Lisanna gets strangled by Elfman, because puppeteer mage (is it just more or does she look and awful lot like Minerva to the point where i wonder why they don't recognize her?) is still sitting around after doing her job.

And we learn a bit about the magic atomic bombs of the council. So they have a weapon that can kill every mage in the kingdom... seems... smart? I guess if there really ever is a mage uprising it's good to have a back-up plan. I'm not entirely sure how it works, though, given the safety measures about it... Ah, whatever. It's not a bad plan from the demon's side, though, if they really are unaffected by this weapon. Raises the question who told them, though.

Next week, special chapter of Erza and Mira hopefully kicking some demon butts.

LaZodiac
2013-12-06, 09:45 AM
Face doesn't kill all the mages. It kills all the MAGIC. It's an anti magic field.

Also, I'm 100% sure they just don't recognize her, because that's definitely Minerva. Also, the exposition and stuff is good and all, but oh my god I care about Elfman and Lissana so much more right now. STop throwing exposition at us and show us what happened :smalleek:

...I'll admit I don't remember what Lissana does at all, because the only non Elfman side character I care about is Gajeel's sorta-girlfriend with the word magic. But I remember what Elfman does, and that's BE AWESOME ALL THE TIME ALWAYS, so I'm actually really concerned about this.

chainer1216
2013-12-06, 11:22 AM
Face doesn't kill all the mages. It kills all the MAGIC. It's an anti magic field.

Also, I'm 100% sure they just don't recognize her, because that's definitely Minerva. Also, the exposition and stuff is good and all, but oh my god I care about Elfman and Lissana so much more right now. STop throwing exposition at us and show us what happened :smalleek:

...I'll admit I don't remember what Lissana does at all, because the only non Elfman side character I care about is Gajeel's sorta-girlfriend with the word magic. But I remember what Elfman does, and that's BE AWESOME ALL THE TIME ALWAYS, so I'm actually really concerned about this.

she has beast take over magic, meaning she turns into animals. and i agree, when i saw elfman grab her neck i started to tear up a bit and was like "nooooooooo!" i'm as frick'en scarred about their backstory as elfman is, it seems.

so, heres a thought. mira uses take over: demon magic. she's about to fight a demon. this should be interesting.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-06, 11:27 AM
So wait...

Erza and Mirajane working together.

I almost pity who's on the receiving end of that.

LaZodiac
2013-12-06, 11:39 AM
So wait...

Erza and Mirajane working together.

I almost pity who's on the receiving end of that.

I bet it'll be Silver. As Chainer said, Mirajane uses Demon forms, and Silver uses the demon slayer. Although Mirajane also uses Demon COMMAND, so she'll likely get super buffed even more so if she wins, since she'll rip their limbs off and eat them into herself or something.

Kato
2013-12-06, 01:02 PM
That what I thought first but doesn't magic deficiency result in what is happening to Laxus & Co right now? As in, mages need magic or they die? (Yeah, I could go back three chapters and check... Okay, I went and didn't find any clear evidence. maybe I was imagining things :smallredface:

Hm... no, I'm not. it's FT, sorry, they will be fine. (If not I'll be all the more shocked for better or worse)

I bet it'll be Silver. As Chainer said, Mirajane uses Demon forms, and Silver uses the demon slayer. Although Mirajane also uses Demon COMMAND, so she'll likely get super buffed even more so if she wins, since she'll rip their limbs off and eat them into herself or something.

I thought all of them were somehow using Demon Sayer magic variants? Okay, I guess they never said so, but I just assumed they did.
On the other hand, we really know little about Mirajane's exact powers, so maybe it's a different kind of demon... if she is actually using demon magic it would seem a little off, considering what demons are in-universe

Friv
2013-12-06, 01:29 PM
That what I thought first but doesn't magic deficiency result in what is happening to Laxus & Co right now? As in, mages need magic or they die? (Yeah, I could go back three chapters and check... Okay, I went and didn't find any clear evidence. maybe I was imagining things :smallredface:

Not quite, but you're close.

There is a line when they're discussing Face about magic deficiency.

What you're probably remembering is waaaaay back in the Phantom Lord arc. Magic Deficiency was what Aria of the Sorrows almost killed the Fairy Tail master with, and at the time the doctor said that the stronger a wizard is, the more badly they are affected by magic deficiency; strong wizards can be killed by it.

So the Magic Nuke would shut down all magic (probably not forever, but for a long time?), and incidentally kill all of the powerful wizards, which is not nearly as bad as killing every wizard but is certainly bad enough to be an utter disaster.

As for how powerful: on checking the internet, I have discovered that Wendy apparently was suffering from severe magic deficiency when she was attacked by Obra; apparently that should have taken her out of action completely for about a week. Wendy's a pretty powerful wizard, so probably there aren't many that would actually die from magic deficiency.

LaZodiac
2013-12-06, 01:30 PM

I thought all of them were somehow using Demon Sayer magic variants? Okay, I guess they never said so, but I just assumed they did.
On the other hand, we really know little about Mirajane's exact powers, so maybe it's a different kind of demon... if she is actually using demon magic it would seem a little off, considering what demons are in-universe

Naw, that's a curse that literally destroys magicians from the inside. It's like...chi-killer viruses. Face is just an Anti Magic field. As far as I know.

We know silver uses Ice Slayer, and THEORETICALLY you could say that Tempest's wind and Jackal's explosions could be "curse" variants of Air and Fire dragons. But we'll see.

I always assumed Mirajane's power was not that she used demon magic, but that she used magic to tear off and absorb demon body parts, and uses magic to summon them up, but that aside it's completely physical/special abilities.

It's like...if you stole a dragon's head and used it to breath fire, that's not magic that's just it's natural ability.

lord_khaine
2013-12-06, 07:53 PM
We really havent seen enough of Mirajanes magic in cannon fights, but mostly it seems like she actually transform into a deamon, the same way Lisandre changes into animals.

Cen
2013-12-19, 09:21 AM
Soo noone noticed new chapter?

Anyway, good one. Plot thickens.

LaZodiac
2013-12-19, 09:48 AM
That was a pretty good chapter, though I've...got no idea what the Oracion Six...er, five, are doing with Jellal, at all.

Kato
2013-12-19, 10:34 AM
Well, it's kind of early, isn't it?

That was a pretty good chapter, though I've...got no idea what the Oracion Six...er, five, are doing with Jellal, at all.

I don't know, it felt rather meh to me. Lot's of stuff going on but somehow... I think the one GOOD thing was totallynotMinerva trying to buy Elfman's soul.. that could become interesting. Erza and Mira falling for the trap... uh... I guess it's understandable but still... And... wow, Natsu is the only one to figure out who is likely to be the mole. Why it has to be that specific guy I have no idea but still.. (btw, is it just me or are all the council guys... well, guys?)

As for Cobra.. Well, Jellal was involved in their loss so revenge seems reasonable. Still, I wonder in how far they will use their filler arc upgrades... And I'm not too sure what their allegiance is either, no.

If I was a Tartaros mook I'd have run at page 14... Or maybe surrendered and hoped for the best.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-19, 10:42 AM

...was everyone but Cobra in like one cell or something? Because why the hell would you break out Brain just to knock him out?

Also didn't the anime do some second Oracion Seis arc? Guess that's been crapped all over. Which amuses me.

Small details.

Olinser
2013-12-19, 11:26 AM
Well, it's kind of early, isn't it?

I don't know, it felt rather meh to me. Lot's of stuff going on but somehow... I think the one GOOD thing was totallynotMinerva trying to buy Elfman's soul.. that could become interesting. Erza and Mira falling for the trap... uh... I guess it's understandable but still... And... wow, Natsu is the only one to figure out who is likely to be the mole. Why it has to be that specific guy I have no idea but still.. (btw, is it just me or are all the council guys... well, guys?)

As for Cobra.. Well, Jellal was involved in their loss so revenge seems reasonable. Still, I wonder in how far they will use their filler arc upgrades... And I'm not too sure what their allegiance is either, no.

If I was a Tartaros mook I'd have run at page 14... Or maybe surrendered and hoped for the best.

Well as to how he knew it, logically,

The highest ranking guy still alive is probably the mole. After all, they were going after just regular council members, allegedly to try and mask their purpose - BEFORE trying to kill the former chairman? That just doesn't add up. If you're trying to conceal something by killing a group of people, you start with the people most likely to actually know it.

I would like to point out that I also called it the second he claimed he didn't know about the keys to Face. At an absolute minimum, as the chairman, if he didn't know, then he would have known who DID know. Yet he's trying to pull a, 'lol I don't know hurr durr'? Yeah, that set off my alarm bells right there.

Olinser
2013-12-19, 11:34 AM
...was everyone but Cobra in like one cell or something? Because why the hell would you break out Brain just to knock him out?

Also didn't the anime do some second Oracion Seis arc? Guess that's been crapped all over. Which amuses me.

Small details.

I was kind of under the impression that Cobra broke out on his own, and the others broke out as a group. None of the others seemed to have particularly strong feelings towards Brain, when Cobra killed him, they all pretty much had a, "Eh, whatever bro", attitude.

Kato
2013-12-19, 11:45 AM

Maybe just to make clear who's the boss? Or for dramatic effect.

I would like to point out that I also called it the second he claimed he didn't know about the keys to Face. At an absolute minimum, as the chairman, if he didn't know, then he would have known who DID know. Yet he's trying to pull a, 'lol I don't know hurr durr'? Yeah, that set off my alarm bells right there.

To be frank, I didn't notice how he was different from the other guys.

And for the other part... well, that's assuming enough thought went into that. I'm not gonna say I didn't find it weird but if you can erase people's memories erasing enough people's memories is a good way to keep a secret very secure, so there's that.

LaZodiac
2013-12-19, 12:56 PM
I didn't notice anything unique about him either. I just figured Natsu figured it out because...literally all the other councilmen are dead other then Jellal, so there can only be one other person left who could of leaked the information.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-19, 01:19 PM

Small details.

Or to prevent him from getting released/escaping on his own. This way there is a 100% chance of Brain being dead instead of a chance of Brain being left in prison.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-19, 09:52 PM
Maybe just to make clear who's the boss? Or for dramatic effect.

Oh dramatic effect is clearly the real reason. Not seeing Brain would just raise questions or need a boring line about how he's still rotting in a cell somewhere.

Moak
2013-12-20, 02:56 AM
When Ezra and Mira drunk the super special exquisite tea, I've said to myself. "This is going to bite'em. It's a poison or something like this. Otherwise, they wouldn't show us." And then, there was only one dubt: could it be that this is a doppler or is onestly evil? Glad to see he is evil.

Also, Elfman soul stealing and Mira and Ezra body snatching can mean that they will became evil. I'm intrigued by the idea of it. This way, the enemy can get some real big guns.

Also, I'm excited. Jellal is going to fight. Seriously. Finally. Curbstomp them. Please. Curbstomp the Oracion Five and then let's go to a big climatic battle between GoodGellal and EvilEzra.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-20, 03:00 PM
When Ezra and Mira drunk the super special exquisite tea, I've said to myself. "This is going to bite'em. It's a poison or something like this. Otherwise, they wouldn't show us." And then, there was only one dubt: could it be that this is a doppler or is onestly evil? Glad to see he is evil.

Also, Elfman soul stealing and Mira and Ezra body snatching can mean that they will became evil. I'm intrigued by the idea of it. This way, the enemy can get some real big guns.

Also, I'm excited. Jellal is going to fight. Seriously. Finally. Curbstomp them. Please. Curbstomp the Oracion Five and then let's go to a big climatic battle between GoodGellal and EvilEzra.

You think that Jellal is going to fight the oracion five? Why? I thought he was going to recruit them into fighting tartarus or something similar.

Friv
2013-12-20, 07:09 PM

I'm 95% sure that Doranbolt released Oracion Ses so that they could join Jellal in destroying Face. They're all traditional wizards; none of them want a world where Tartaros won. It would fit Jellal's "gray guild" idea to recruit former dark wizards to serve him, and Cobra said that they already had a first job just as Jellal arrived.

(Also, isn't Hoteye still a good guy? Did he ever turn evil again after getting Nirvana'd? I don't think he'd be up for murdering most of the world.)

lord_khaine
2013-12-20, 08:37 PM
I think its pretty clear that Jellal is recruiting the rest of Oracion 5. They are all extremely powerfull, and might even die from the explosion.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-21, 01:30 PM
You know putting aside Oracion Cinco and Jellal... I wanna know what's up with Doranbolt.

My interest in the guy is just skyrocketing.

LaZodiac
2013-12-21, 11:27 PM
You know putting aside Oracion Cinco and Jellal... I wanna know what's up with Doranbolt.

My interest in the guy is just skyrocketing.

Doranbolt's actually a really fascinating character. I wonder what he's up too.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-22, 12:08 AM
I know I'm angling for a guy with at least half a brain leading whatever replaces the Council.

Cen
2013-12-28, 07:23 AM
Yay 2 new chapters this week! It's really christmas!

X-mas special is kind of meh and bland (although talking pig is cute)

while the proper chapter....

Well, it's good. Jellal fighting Oracion 5 - wow, good thing Hiro remembered that Hoteyes is good guy now.
Sooooo much Erza fanservice! I don't like it and turning Minerva into slave through some tentacles? Damn we're getting dangerously close to hentai zone in this chapter. Also, what happened to Elfman?
Natsu tracking Ex-President by his herbal smell - logical and established in continuity.

Still, decent chapter.

Kato
2013-12-28, 08:20 AM
Unless I'm missing something I wouldn't call the two pages a "christmas chapter"(?)

I do have to agree on the fanservice bit though... Hiro really went... a bit more than a bit too far. "Increasing one's sensations" is also a magic that... is basically made for R rated fanfiction, really. Gosh, the whole scene is.. What IS the point of stripping Erza, anyway? Well, I guess it's not entirely unreasonable but then again we know why Hiro did it..

Regarding other things, Jellal fighting Oracion ??? is neat and apparently they got to keep their filler upgrades (Well, Angel did). Thinking Hiro would forget Hoteye's change of character seems a bit low, he's not bad when it comes to remembering his own continuity (most of the time) and I'd say it wouldn't be unexpected for the magic to have worn off or anything...Still, we'll see how well Jellal keeps up and who will save him. (As if he'd die there...)

Natsu tracking the traitor was in fact neat (him levelling the building to do so a bit over the top, maybe. Even if he had his reason to do so.) Also... did he punch out the guy's teeth there? :smallbiggrin:

Cen
2013-12-28, 08:36 AM
Unless I'm missing something I wouldn't call the two pages a "christmas chapter"(?)

handy link (http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail-christmas-special)

Also... did he punch out the guy's teeth there?

He totally did!

Olinser
2013-12-28, 09:22 AM
So then...

Naked Erza in magic-sealing shackles being whipped.

I feel like this author is crossing genres.....

LaZodiac
2013-12-28, 09:44 AM
Doing my thoughts on the chapter first, then reacting to what you guys said.

Manga Panda has some interesting translators. I SENSE THEIR SMELL! I...I think you mean you smell them, Natsu.

Oh dear, turning Mira into a full on demon. Also...it DOES make sense to strip Erza since her magic is all equipment based, but still this feels a touch...gratoitous(sic).

I've literally forgotten what everyone of the Oracion can do so this fight was really confusing.

Ah, so this lady's curse inflicts emotions. And...she has a whip. And now she's whipping Erza. Well then.

...of course it's ****ing Jerard.

That last scene's pretty awesome, but would be more so without the teeth.

I feel like someone should look into Hiro's past, see if he's secretly a mangaka like Oh Great! and the like. The way he does his fanservice, it really feels like he might have some bleached underpants in his background, as it where.

Kato
2013-12-28, 12:56 PM
handy link (http://www.mangareader.net/fairy-tail-christmas-special)

Ah, thank you. Totally missed that. Yeah, not that amazing... FT (especially Happy) drawn by the other mangaka looks pretty weird though. But the idea behind the second story is better than the first.

More awesome, but less funny.

I feel like someone should look into Hiro's past, see if he's secretly a mangaka like Oh Great! and the like. The way he does his fanservice, it really feels like he might have some bleached underpants in his background, as it where.
I.. don't think I've ever heard that expression but maybe? Then again, would he make a secret about it? Though, maybe he's secretly drawing doujin in his spare time... Then again, then he wouldn't need to vent his fantasies in FT.

LaZodiac
2013-12-28, 02:21 PM
More awesome, but less funny.

I.. don't think I've ever heard that expression but maybe? Then again, would he make a secret about it? Though, maybe he's secretly drawing doujin in his spare time... Then again, then he wouldn't need to vent his fantasies in FT.

True, and we need the light jump in mood given the rest of the chapter.

The expression is a TVTropes thing. It wouldn't be surprising if it was a secret, since a lot of mangaka who started in the buisness doing that try to keep it a secret. Just look at Haruhi's creator, and the guy who made Hellsing. Although Angel Dust Anderson is a direct reference to one of the things he made/games based on it so I'm not sure how "secret" that is.

And then we have Oh Great! who doesn't even try to be subtle.

Olinser
2013-12-28, 02:23 PM
Doing my thoughts on the chapter first, then reacting to what you guys said.

Manga Panda has some interesting translators. I SENSE THEIR SMELL! I...I think you mean you smell them, Natsu.

Oh dear, turning Mira into a full on demon. Also...it DOES make sense to strip Erza since her magic is all equipment based, but still this feels a touch...gratoitous(sic).

I've literally forgotten what everyone of the Oracion can do so this fight was really confusing.

Ah, so this lady's curse inflicts emotions. And...she has a whip. And now she's whipping Erza. Well then.

...of course it's ****ing Jerard.

It doesn't inflict emotions.

It heightens sensations.

As in, Erza is feeling SIGNIFICANTLY more pain than normal.

Think of it like pins-and-needles you get when your foot falls asleep. Just walking on it hurts. Erza is now being tortured with that sensation over her entire body.

Kato
2013-12-28, 03:50 PM
The expression is a TVTropes thing. It wouldn't be surprising if it was a secret, since a lot of mangaka who started in the buisness doing that try to keep it a secret. Just look at Haruhi's creator, and the guy who made Hellsing. Although Angel Dust Anderson is a direct reference to one of the things he made/games based on it so I'm not sure how "secret" that is.

You... you made me go to tv tropes... :smallmad: You owe me three hours of my life... Nah, luckily I'm used to it and didn't click any links :smalltongue:
And I totally din't try to hunt down that pilot chapter out of curiosity.

huh, I never knew Hirano or Haruhi's creator did that... I guess the Japanese are just more open in that regard. Well, some of them. While I'd say it's nothing to be ashamed of, I can see how people would be afraid to lose credibility or something.

Olinser
2013-12-28, 04:06 PM
You... you made me go to tv tropes... :smallmad: You owe me three hours of my life... Nah, luckily I'm used to it and didn't click any links :smalltongue:

huh, I never knew Hirano or Haruhi's creator did that... I guess the Japanese are just more open in that regard. Well, some of them. While I'd say it's nothing to be ashamed of, I can see how people would be afraid to lose credibility or something.

Not so much loss of credibility, as having a manga serial intended for young/teenaged children (like Jump) be very hesitant to accept a porn artist as a new contributor. It's a question of target audience.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-12-28, 04:26 PM

Checking...

Nope. Or if so its pretty well hidden and nobody has figured out the penname. He seems to have made it on winning a competition to launch Rave which was his first full work. Only one I can find before that is a one-shot named Magician he used to win the competition.

Also his art style isn't really very hentai for all the naked ladies its too 'abstact' if you will. You can check Tenjou Tenge or Hellsing for what I mean, they have a certain, grit to the style.

Cen
2013-12-28, 04:55 PM

it heightens sensations.

Seroiosly. That's 100% hentai material right here. Seriously. That's wrong. Stop it Hiro. Please.

Edit:
I've read bleached underpants article.

hmm... Ok.... I'll just go now look for some brain bleach, see ya guys later and let's not mention this again, ok?

LaZodiac
2013-12-28, 06:29 PM

It heightens sensations.

As in, Erza is feeling SIGNIFICANTLY more pain than normal.

Think of it like pins-and-needles you get when your foot falls asleep. Just walking on it hurts. Erza is now being tortured with that sensation over her entire body.

I misunderstood, sorry about that :smallredface:

So yes, my bad.

Teehee~

I believe for some of them it's an "old shame". Like, hell, Haruhi, the manga, did actually start as a full on eroge/hentai esque thing, and that's pretty ridiculous.

Checking...

Nope. Or if so its pretty well hidden and nobody has figured out the penname. He seems to have made it on winning a competition to launch Rave which was his first full work. Only one I can find before that is a one-shot named Magician he used to win the competition.

Also his art style isn't really very hentai for all the naked ladies its too 'abstact' if you will. You can check Tenjou Tenge or Hellsing for what I mean, they have a certain, grit to the style.

It takes all styles. I for one think that if Hiro was a primarly hentai artist, he's have a TON of fans, since his art style is really good for stacked characters, and he IS good at doing expressions and the like.

I do see what you mean about Hellsing's art work having more of an edge to it.

@Cen: Sorry :smallbiggrin:

Olinser
2013-12-28, 07:45 PM
Although I will say that it isn't necessarily an automatic career killer.

It was fairly widely known, even before it started, that the author of Shokugeki no Souma (which is an AWESOME series btw) is a previous hentai artist.

LaZodiac
2013-12-28, 07:49 PM
Although I will say that it isn't necessarily a killer.

It was fairly widely known that the author of Shokugeki no Souma (which is an AWESOME series btw) is a previous hentai artist.

He's about as subtle as Oh Great! was at hiding this fact. I hope he's able to keep the quality he's got, instead of...becoming Oh Great!. Also, I still need to read Souma...

Olinser
2013-12-28, 09:00 PM
He's about as subtle as Oh Great! was at hiding this fact. I hope he's able to keep the quality he's got, instead of...becoming Oh Great!. Also, I still need to read Souma...

You should pick it up dude. It's very well done, even for a Widget series - it has cooking as it's main theme.

I think it's my 2nd most favorite comic manga I've picked up in 2013 (and that's only because The Gamer just started a few months ago :smallbiggrin:).

LaZodiac
2013-12-29, 04:24 AM
You should pick it up dude. It's very well done, even for a Widget series - it has cooking as it's main theme.

I think it's my 2nd most favorite comic manga I've picked up in 2013 (and that's only because The Gamer just started a few months ago :smallbiggrin:).

I'll consider it, as a lover of food and fanservice, I'd be remiss to not read it.

Also, not a dude, but I'm aware it's a gender neutral term :smallamused:

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-09, 12:01 PM
For the new year Hiro gives us

... tentacles!

And pretty much confirms Gray and Silver are related

LaZodiac
2014-01-09, 12:12 PM
Really glad the torture lady told him not to touch Erza because jesus ****ing christ this is getting exploitative.

Also, yes, Silver is 100% related to Gray. That isn't even a question any more. And Natsu lost! And...really quickly, too. And Franmalth likely would of beaten him as well, just with a lot more property damage. This was a good chapter except for Hiro's obsession with being a hentai artist.

Olinser
2014-01-09, 01:44 PM
Really glad the torture lady told him not to touch Erza because jesus ****ing christ this is getting exploitative.

Also, yes, Silver is 100% related to Gray. That isn't even a question any more. And Natsu lost! And...really quickly, too. And Franmalth likely would of beaten him as well, just with a lot more property damage. This was a good chapter except for Hiro's obsession with being a hentai artist.

Yeah lol wtf, did we cross into a hentai mag when I wasn't looking?

Also, no way Natsu is down that fast. That's WAY too anticlimactic for a Fairy Tail fight. I assume either Natsu is going to break out, or Happy is going to bust him out somehow.

However, I do anticipate Natsu losing the fight and Gray showing up just in time.

LaZodiac
2014-01-09, 02:33 PM
Yeah lol wtf, did we cross into a hentai mag when I wasn't looking?

Also, no way Natsu is down that fast. That's WAY too anticlimactic for a Fairy Tail fight. I assume either Natsu is going to break out, or Happy is going to bust him out somehow.

However, I do anticipate Natsu losing the fight and Gray showing up just in time.

Yeah...Hiro's taking some lessons from Oh Great!, it looks like.

I REALLY hope Natsu loses. As much as I am a big fan of Elfman, I also hope he "sells his soul" so the bad guys have both him AND Mira. I want our heroes to realize that not every fight will be as easy as those treasure hunters. I want our heroes to realize that putting their hands together and saying "WE BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP" won't save the day from the Apocolypse Dragon. I want them to realize that the ghost of Fairy Tail's first guild master can't save them every time they start losing.

I want Natsu to be reminded of how he felt when he fought Gildartz. I'd actually be okay if NO ONE died or was heavily injured from this other then Elfman and Mira, so long as the stuff that IS happening is treated as importantly as it is.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-09, 02:49 PM

Well it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it in a 'normal' series... or the second.

And I really wouldn't count on the fight being over personally. That's a very standard cliffhanger. Though I still see a couple of hoops to be jumped through and some partner switches before this is done with FT's inevitable victory. So you might see a defeat and/or retreat here.

lord_khaine
2014-01-09, 04:07 PM
I seriously hopes this ends with a swift defeat of Natsu, as well as both Erza and Mira kidnapped and turned by Tartarous.

That way we might get a little bit of exitement :smalltongue:

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-09, 04:25 PM
Well Mirajane is clearly going to show up brainwashed and crazy.
Erza will probably escape, because FT is seriously going to need her.

Think about it with Laxus down, Markarov never doing jack, Natsu having to fight the final boss, and Grey sure to meet Silver in battle.... does even FT have the resources to take on Mirajane, Minerva, AND Erza in battle on top of Tartarus? Something has to shake that up.

Also I think it would be emotionally redundant to have two "get ahold of yourself woman!" fights at once. Besides I think Kyouka would have done differently if that was the grand plan.

Deathhappens
2014-01-09, 08:35 PM
Well it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it in a 'normal' series... or the second.

And I really wouldn't count on the fight being over personally. That's a very standard cliffhanger. Though I still see a couple of hoops to be jumped through and some partner switches before this is done with FT's inevitable victory. So you might see a defeat and/or retreat here.

*cough* Remember when we thought Hades made Wendy disappear? *cough* she was saved by literally the biggest asspull in the history of Fairy Tail yet.

Fully expect Natsu to blast that ice off himself in the next issue. It would be a sign of progress for the series as a whole if he actually stayed there and had to be rescued.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-09, 09:14 PM
*cough* Remember when we thought Hades made Wendy disappear? *cough* she was saved by literally the biggest asspull in the history of Fairy Tail yet.

Fully expect Natsu to blast that ice off himself in the next issue. It would be a sign of progress for the series as a whole if he actually stayed there and had to be rescued.

Yeah well its pretty hard to top being rescued by someone else's magic... without that someone doing anything to make that happen.

Fire guy getting out of ice is nothing on that really.

Though I don't know about "progress" when since this sorta cliffhanger is just a standard tool and there's nothing wrong with it. I'd say the whole point is to end on an exciting note and counting on the savvy of the viewers to not make it actually shocking. It would be a unexpected certainly.

Deathhappens
2014-01-09, 10:46 PM
Yeah well its pretty hard to top being rescued by someone else's magic... without that someone doing anything to make that happen.

Fire guy getting out of ice is nothing on that really.

Though I don't know about "progress" when since this sorta cliffhanger is just a standard tool and there's nothing wrong with it. I'd say the whole point is to end on an exciting note and counting on the savvy of the viewers to not make it actually shocking. It would be a unexpected certainly.

That is the point I was trying to make. It would be progress if for once the cliffhanger ACTUALLY MATTERED, as in, Natsu didn't get to break out of that ice his fire couldn't melt a week ago because **** you, MC.

Forum Explorer
2014-01-10, 12:02 AM

Really? I'd say the biggest ***pull was when the random guard guy sank into the lava and was somehow rescued.

LaZodiac
2014-01-10, 12:33 AM
Really? I'd say the biggest ***pull was when the random guard guy sank into the lava and was somehow rescued.

That entire arc was garbage.

Inuzuka
2014-01-10, 07:34 AM
Well Mirajane is clearly going to show up brainwashed and crazy.
Erza will probably escape, because FT is seriously going to need her.

Mirajane's main magic involves turning herself into a demon, and Tartarus's big plan is to ... turn her into a demon :smallamused:

For some reason I don't think that brainwashing will stick.

Kato
2014-01-10, 07:35 AM
That entire arc was garbage.

Aw, come on, that's pretty harsh. There was fun stuff in there. And a lot of garbage.

Also: Tentacles! Hiro must be trolling, there's no other explanation. (Except FT seriously having switched genre)

Not sure what will happen to Natsu... Yeah, the expected outcome would be for him to simply burst out... but maybe they'll come up with a proper excuse why that happens. Then again, maybe he really just lost?

btw, what was up with the other guy? Luffy-like machine gun punch and... power absorption? measuring? :smallconfused:

As for Gray... I'm trying to guess the guys' age. Including the seven year time jump I guess it's still be possible he's his dad but then I really hope we get a different explanation.....

LaZodiac
2014-01-10, 09:22 AM
Not sure what will happen to Natsu... Yeah, the expected outcome would be for him to simply burst out... but maybe they'll come up with a proper excuse why that happens. Then again, maybe he really just lost?

btw, what was up with the other guy? Luffy-like machine gun punch and... power absorption? measuring? :smallconfused:

As for Gray... I'm trying to guess the guys' age. Including the seven year time jump I guess it's still be possible he's his dad but then I really hope we get a different explanation.....

Franmalth is like Wobbuffet, I think. His power revolves around returning everything you dish out back at him.

Olinser
2014-01-10, 09:42 AM
That is the point I was trying to make. It would be progress if for once the cliffhanger ACTUALLY MATTERED, as in, Natsu didn't get to break out of that ice his fire couldn't melt a week ago because **** you, MC.

Who says its the same ice? I seriously doubt he managed to freeze an entire mountain without SOME outside force boosting his power. If it was the same ice that Ur used against the demon, it means that he had to basically fuel it with people's lives.

Now he's operating on his own power. I'll certainly believe that Natsu can break out of it.

Fiery Diamond
2014-01-10, 02:12 PM
Aw, come on, that's pretty harsh. There was fun stuff in there. And a lot of garbage.

Also: Tentacles! Hiro must be trolling, there's no other explanation. (Except FT seriously having switched genre)

Two options: Silver is Gray's dad. Ooooor.... Silver is Gray from the future after having turned evil and been demonified.

Friv
2014-01-10, 02:22 PM
Two options: Silver is Gray's dad. Ooooor.... Silver is Gray from the future after having turned evil and been demonified.

He could also be a long-lost brother of some sort. A brother who was, say, five to seven years older, plus seven extra years of timeskip, would now be in his thirties and could be drawn that way.

lord_khaine
2014-01-11, 05:20 AM
Well.. i guess its time to start the betting pool.. :smalltongue:

Because while Natsu confirms a direct connection between Silver and Grey, then we still dont know what it is.

And while i guess father or brother is the most plausible explanation, then that does not explain his apperent dislike for Grey.

The time traveling Grey theory meanwhile, doesnt really explain the rather obvious shift in personality.

Kato
2014-01-11, 08:09 AM
Well.. i guess its time to start the betting pool.. :smalltongue:

Huh? Of course, time travel can explain all possible kinds of shifts in character... Gaining new experiences can greatly change your outlook on things and even make you despise the person you used to be.
That said.: I don't like the time travelling Gray theory much. On the other hand, I like the "father" or "never mentioned before(?) brother" stories even less. A third pupil of Ur? Doesn't fit well, either... Or would smell like Grey.

Really, I like none of the ideas I can come up with but I liked the time travelling (again) the least not.

Fiery Diamond
2014-01-12, 07:03 PM
Huh? Of course, time travel can explain all possible kinds of shifts in character... Gaining new experiences can greatly change your outlook on things and even make you despise the person you used to be.
That said.: I don't like the time travelling Gray theory much. On the other hand, I like the "father" or "never mentioned before(?) brother" stories even less. A third pupil of Ur? Doesn't fit well, either... Or would smell like Grey.

Really, I like none of the ideas I can come up with but I liked the time travelling (again) the least not.

Your last statement is confusing. Am I correctly interpreting that as "I like none of the ideas listed. However, the time traveling one is the one I dislike the least."?

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-12, 07:52 PM

I know what you meant. I'm simply pointing out that "progress" implies improvement. Which is not actually the case. They're unrelated phenomena because a story device's use does not imply quality.

Lets say Natsu is flat dead and not coming back. That wouldn't be better least in my book it would just be a massive troll worse then Gainax's PS&G ending, being sudden and shocking and emotionally damaging for the readers... made worse because nobody took this seriously because we're used to cliffhangers turning out alright.

Not that that is likely, but I don't pretend I can imagine all the possibilities or that a non-standard use would be automatically better just because its different.

Wow I like don't even remember that, where was it. I normally remember things like that.

Maybe its just me but it looks like they have a different face and eye structure. Rogue and Rogue had different designs but you could still tell they were supposed to be the same person. Or that's my eyes, I won't claim too much on that front.

And what's so terrible about Silver being a member of the Fullbuster family? Its not like we actually know much about him other then "Deliora destroyed village, adopted by Ur" and heck the relation might well explain why the heck that happened and tell us more about Gray. We've had what one or two mentions of his family and no flashbacks of them?

Cen
2014-01-12, 08:17 PM
Wow I like don't even remember that, where was it. I normally remember things like that.

Since I don't remember if we're allowed to lik stuff here - chapter 309 (Burning Death) pages 14 (Arcadios - 'I'm ready to sacrafice my life!') - 17 (Horologium - 'He's all right lol')

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-12, 08:36 PM
Since I don't remember if we're allowed to lik stuff here - chapter 309 (Burning Death) pages 14 (Arcadios - 'I'm ready to sacrafice my life!') - 17 (Horologium - 'He's all right lol')

Ahh beneath the castle with that fisherman dude. Though given its post Hades I do have to point out Horologium was using something established technically. What Arcadios pulled walking through it...

... maybe its not actually lava because magic? Magic armor? Actually a Saiyan?

Forum Explorer
2014-01-12, 08:37 PM

Chapter 309

Ahh beneath the castle with that fisherman dude. Though given its post Hades I do have to point out Horologium was using something established technically. What Arcadios pulled walking through it...

... maybe its not actually lava because magic? Magic armor? Actually a Saiyan?

Except Lucy didn't even have her keys at the time.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-12, 09:02 PM
Except Lucy didn't even have her keys at the time.

Yeah but they actually dealt with that via Loke... and not like she activated Horologium's save before so its arguable if she needs like physical contact for this to happen.

I still think a last second save is silly as hell to add... but hey once they add it might as well use it.

Kato
2014-01-13, 06:12 AM
Your last statement is confusing. Am I correctly interpreting that as "I like none of the ideas listed. However, the time traveling one is the one I dislike the least."?
Yeah, sorry. :smallredface:

Lets say Natsu is flat dead and not coming back. That wouldn't be better least in my book it would just be a massive troll worse then Gainax's PS&G ending, being sudden and shocking and emotionally damaging for the readers... made worse because nobody took this seriously because we're used to cliffhangers turning out alright.
Hah, if Natsu's dead I'm going to... how do you say "eat a broom" in English? The internet says "Eat my hat". (Can one deduce something about German's rather eating brooms than hats?) Anyway, no, no way. Never. Not in Fairy Tail.

Maybe its just me but it looks like they have a different face and eye structure.
Hm... I'm not too sure. I'm not good at this but they do look alike enough for him to be Gray with 20+ more years or so. At least in my opinion.

And what's so terrible about Silver being a member of the Fullbuster family? Its not like we actually know much about him other then "Deliora destroyed village, adopted by Ur" and heck the relation might well explain why the heck that happened and tell us more about Gray. We've had what one or two mentions of his family and no flashbacks of them?
Well, Gray is one of the main characters and he had a good few arcs to him. If he had a brother he should have been mentioned. And I just dislike it if a person is presumably dead and then way later turns out to be alive with no indication to it or anything. At least when we know quite clearly they are dead, in regard to Gray's parents. And a more distant relative... I just find unlikely, but obviously that's no prove for anything. But when in a media did an uncle suddenly turn up for a great reveal?

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-14, 11:51 AM
Hah, if Natsu's dead I'm going to... how do you say "eat a broom" in English? The internet says "Eat my hat". (Can one deduce something about German's rather eating brooms than hats?) Anyway, no, no way. Never. Not in Fairy Tail.

Hat is probably the most common yeah so that would be the phrase.

And yeah it won't happen. But I'm pointing out that how a story device is used is not actually connected to its quality. People just assume so when what they really are saying is "a range of options I select and would personally like" which I don't find a compelling argument.

Hm... I'm not too sure. I'm not good at this but they do look alike enough for him to be Gray with 20+ more years or so. At least in my opinion.

Which could just as easily be father. Only that time travel is possible and used recently really makes it even remotely plausible. And I'm not sure 20 years would quite do it anyways, or not undermine the revelation itself with visual incongruity.

But give how recently it was used suggests to me it too soon to recycle the premise, which so help me FT hasn't quite done either.

Well, Gray is one of the main characters and he had a good few arcs to him. If he had a brother he should have been mentioned. And I just dislike it if a person is presumably dead and then way later turns out to be alive with no indication to it or anything. At least when we know quite clearly they are dead, in regard to Gray's parents. And a more distant relative... I just find unlikely, but obviously that's no prove for anything. But when in a media did an uncle suddenly turn up for a great reveal?

Well brother given the (arguably) pretty sizable age gap is less likely then father in my book. And of course Gray's father should obviously have existed unless specifically said otherwise. (Also dramatic redundancy with Lyon)

I would also like to point out that most characters in this story don't exactly have complete closed backgrounds that don't allow for expansion. This would come from a blank period in Gray's life, pre-Deliora. Its not exactly a requirement for the author to give an entire detailed biography unless its relevant to the story actually at hand.

As for being "dead" we (iirc) have never seen the bodies. That's like a free pass.

Olinser
2014-01-14, 02:15 PM
Hat is probably the most common yeah so that would be the phrase.

And yeah it won't happen. But I'm pointing out that how a story device is used is not actually connected to its quality. People just assume so when what they really are saying is "a range of options I select and would personally like" which I don't find a compelling argument.

Which could just as easily be father. Only that time travel is possible and used recently really makes it even remotely plausible. And I'm not sure 20 years would quite do it anyways, or not undermine the revelation itself with visual incongruity.

But give how recently it was used suggests to me it too soon to recycle the premise, which so help me FT hasn't quite done either.

Well brother given the (arguably) pretty sizable age gap is less likely then father in my book. And of course Gray's father should obviously have existed unless specifically said otherwise. (Also dramatic redundancy with Lyon)

I would also like to point out that most characters in this story don't exactly have complete closed backgrounds that don't allow for expansion. This would come from a blank period in Gray's life, pre-Deliora. Its not exactly a requirement for the author to give an entire detailed biography unless its relevant to the story actually at hand.

As for being "dead" we (iirc) have never seen the bodies. That's like a free pass.

Gray was on his own from an early age, and raised by Ur for a good portion of them. We have literally NO IDEA what kind of family or extended family may be out there. Brother age difference can easily be arrived at by being an older brother to begin with, plus the years that they were time frozen on the island. You could reasonably get a 15-20 year age gap between brothers quite easily, and then you have the possibility of Evil Uncle (possibly father's twin, which is why they look alike - Grey looks like his father, who had a twin), Evil Cousin, etc.

Kato
2014-01-17, 07:56 AM
Still doesn't mean it's a good plot element :smallwink: Really, if we go by likely... yeah, it's gis dad. Because that's what would be the most clichee. But I'll still hope it's,,, something else.

Anyway, new chapter. And... Hiro-sama, if you are so desperate to draw hentai... GO AND DRAW HENTAI!

Natsu's naked. Lisanna's naked. (And both are stuck in a cell with nothing to do) Tartaros chicks have a lesbian relationship. (First I thought it was my dirty mind but the middle panel at the end makes it quite clear, I think) :smallredface: Geez, at least the Oracion Seis fight had no fanservice apart from Angel's costume. (I better not start thinking how that would turn out)
Well, maybe we will see the return of Zero happening... Jellal will certainly not die because magical armageddon and stuff... Elfman is going to try to fight all of Fairy Tail...? Sure, why not. Just drag in Ever and that'll cure him, I guess. True love and so on.

LaZodiac
2014-01-17, 09:34 AM
I'm actually okay with this chapter, and feel it's quite good. Except for one point...why did they defrost Natsu? That's...a REALLY dumb idea, though the anti magic cuffs are interesting...

Okay, so, we KNOW that the mind controlly demon is whats her face, ERza's rival, right? Like, it hasn't been said, but we know it's her. I wonder if her...tendancies, that the Dominatrix demon lady are naturaly, or enforced.

lord_khaine
2014-01-17, 11:45 AM
Well.. that chapter actually really managed to revive my interest..

Natsu slapped down like a punk and then locked up went my above my wildest dreams for that fight, and so far i dont think the fan service has been detracting from the story.

And the ending was for that matter also rather nice.. i liked the comment about needing to be broken from within.

edit because gahh..

Kato
2014-01-17, 11:57 AM
Why did you put that in quotes, khaine? :smallconfused:

I'm actually okay with this chapter, and feel it's quite good. Except for one point...

Oh, I'm not unhappy. The fanservice bits are just... getting weirdly overpresent?Something like that.

Well, the reason they defrosted Natsu is obvious: So they can watch him and Lisanna he can plan his escape. I'm pretty sure we on't get a better reason than that, really. (Or maybe they were afraid he'd thaw himself up somehow if left alone long enough and wanted to cuff him up better...

I'm not that sure about it anymore... Yeah, she stil totally looks like her but they make it seem like the two ladies know each other longer. And why would they chnage her name but have her still look the same? Really, it's the most confusing thing... Maybe Hiro really was too lazy to give her a more unique face.

Olinser
2014-01-17, 11:58 AM
I'm actually okay with this chapter, and feel it's quite good. Except for one point...why did they defrost Natsu? That's...a REALLY dumb idea, though the anti magic cuffs are interesting...

Okay, so, we KNOW that the mind controlly demon is whats her face, ERza's rival, right? Like, it hasn't been said, but we know it's her. I wonder if her...tendancies, that the Dominatrix demon lady are naturaly, or enforced.

Probably because

They seem to think that they have absolutely nothing to fear from Natsu. Why should they? Silver just owned him while barely lifting a finger (they are unaware he killed the other Demon, remember).

I assume they want to conduct some kind of experiment on him, after all he is a Dragon Slayer, not the kind of thing you can just pull out of your hat.

LaZodiac
2014-01-17, 12:53 PM
Oh, I'm not unhappy. The fanservice bits are just... getting weirdly overpresent?Something like that.

Well, the reason they defrosted Natsu is obvious: So they can watch him and Lisanna he can plan his escape. I'm pretty sure we on't get a better reason than that, really. (Or maybe they were afraid he'd thaw himself up somehow if left alone long enough and wanted to cuff him up better...

I'm not that sure about it anymore... Yeah, she stil totally looks like her but they make it seem like the two ladies know each other longer. And why would they chnage her name but have her still look the same? Really, it's the most confusing thing... Maybe Hiro really was too lazy to give her a more unique face.

The fanservice is getting REALLY over saturated, yeah.

She gets a new name because the experiments that changed her into a demon is like a rebirth. She looks so close to what she normally looked like because....well, as we can see, the torture lady likes the ladies, and Erza's Rival certainly has a lot of lady to go around.

Probably because

They seem to think that they have absolutely nothing to fear from Natsu. Why should they? Silver just owned him while barely lifting a finger (they are unaware he killed the other Demon, remember).

I assume they want to conduct some kind of experiment on him, after all he is a Dragon Slayer, not the kind of thing you can just pull out of your hat.

...that's a really good point. Demonic Dragon Slayer would be kind of cool.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-18, 11:51 AM

Nope that has been wrong from the beginning.

Sayla (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Sayla) appears in chapter 356.

Minerva in the tank still not a demon is in chapter 359.

Infernally Clay
2014-01-18, 12:01 PM
Meh, Slayers aren't that impressive any more. They used to be really rare, rare enough that experiments were performed to create fake ones. Now there's a load of Dragon Slayers and God Slayers and nobody seems any stronger than ordinary Mages, with the only time actually being a Dragon Slayer mattered was when all those dragons showed up.

LaZodiac
2014-01-18, 12:22 PM
Nope that has been wrong from the beginning.

Sayla (http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Sayla) appears in chapter 356.

Minerva in the tank still not a demon is in chapter 359.

...huh, I hadn't realized that.

Meh, Slayers aren't that impressive any more. They used to be really rare, rare enough that experiments were performed to create fake ones. Now there's a load of Dragon Slayers and God Slayers and nobody seems any stronger than ordinary Mages, with the only time actually being a Dragon Slayer mattered was when all those dragons showed up.

True. Such a shame, really.

Kato
2014-01-18, 02:13 PM
...huh, I hadn't realized that.
Huh... yeah, me neither. Couldn't you have pointed that out earlier, Soras? It would have saved some confusion :smallbiggrin:

True. Such a shame, really.
Well, they are still "rare" what with there being no more dragons...
But I don't think there was ever a claim to DS being particularly powerful, was there? Just that you can't just become one by random...
Though, this brings me again to the matter that we never learn how mages pick their powers or whether they are born with them or whatever... Or how you make a God Slayer.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-01-18, 02:23 PM

Well the Dragon Slayers I'll give a pass since there's evidence that's all going somewhere.

The others now... yeah its rather past the point of diminishing returns.

Huh... yeah, me neither. Couldn't you have pointed that out earlier, Soras? It would have saved some confusion :smallbiggrin:

I thought you all knew...

Kato
2014-01-24, 01:31 PM
I thought you all knew...

Nah. I - and I think at least Zodiac as well - were quite a bit confused and no one corrected us :smallredface:

Well... I'm not going to say its evidence but I feel the new chapter hints quite strongly at time travel. For better or worse :smallsigh:

Erza gets more tortured, Elfman is mind controlled into blowing up FT... Lisanna and Natsu try not to make out... and Zero kills Jellal. Now that last one actually kind of blows my mind. Unless someone has a good idea how he'll get out of that...

LaZodiac
2014-01-24, 01:46 PM
Silver's comment MIGHT not mean he's Future Grey, he might just know who Natsu is.

Zero totally just killed Jelal with the Special Beam Cannon :smalleek:

Also, it goes without saying, but Erza's scene is REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE.

Kato
2014-01-24, 02:58 PM
Okay but who leaves this us with? Zero at least sounds like it's more than "it's that dragon slayer from the tournament" and more like "it's someone I know" though part of that might be my imagination...

Huh? Wasn't that spiral-y? But yeah, the whole in the chest is very reminiscent... but he can still talk. With half a lung...

At least it was much shorter than the others :smalleek:

lord_khaine
2014-01-24, 03:17 PM
Well.. this chapter is really starting to shape up now, Natsu seems tied up for the moment, perhaps even going to need a resque, while Elfman has been turned into a suicide bomb.

The tension is beginning to come back a bit, and it is beginning to look a bit more like Silver might be a timetraveler.

chainer1216
2014-01-24, 03:52 PM
wow, that really WAS the special beam cannon.

LaZodiac
2014-01-24, 03:54 PM
Okay but who leaves this us with? Zero at least sounds like it's more than "it's that dragon slayer from the tournament" and more like "it's someone I know" though part of that might be my imagination...

Huh? Wasn't that spiral-y? But yeah, the whole in the chest is very reminiscent... but he can still talk. With half a lung...

At least it was much shorter than the others :smalleek:

If we assume Silver is Grey's father, we can assume he'd be following his exploits in the news and stuff, and see how Natsu constantly shows him up at every opportunity. He could just also hate him in general.

It is spiraly. Look at Zero's blast, it's nigh identical. Zero's just hugs the main beam more.

It's an anime, and it's Jelal or all people, talking without his lungs isn't the most surprising thing.

Cen
2014-01-31, 10:21 AM
New chapter
first half - I honestly have no idea how Jelal survived and what was his trick.
second half - ex chairman was an idiot...

LaZodiac
2014-01-31, 10:48 AM
**** this manga so hard.

Kato
2014-01-31, 12:48 PM
**** this manga so hard.

Yeah.... Or maybe rather: Eff Hiro... With tentacles and pain increasing magic :smalltongue:

What, that was like... the cheapest trick he could pull. Admittedly, no, I didn't see it coming. Doesn't mean it wasn't bad. For goodness sake...

Also, as Cen said: Ex-chairman is an idiot. Wait, "was".

And now please kill all the fairies and be done with it.

Cen
2014-01-31, 01:29 PM
soo... what exactly was his trick? I'm reading it fifth time and I still don't get it...

Kato
2014-01-31, 01:33 PM
soo... what exactly was his trick? I'm reading it fifth time and I still don't get it...

It wasn't precisely his trick... But Midnight's magic causes illusions/nightmares and what we saw actually was Midnight's illusion, not reality. Jellal realized that and gouged his eyes out ( :smalleek: ) because Midnight's magic is vision based and thus he could free himself. When he put up his attack magic... meh. Superamazingmagicspeed?

Olinser
2014-02-01, 02:08 PM
This 'plot twist' of sudden death surprises no one.

Anteros
2014-02-02, 04:39 AM
So I have a question. I stopped reading during the recent tournament arc, because it seemed like the quality had dropped and no one could ever challenge the protagonists. I also got tired of protagonists winning every single fight because of the "power of emotion".

I was thinking about picking the manga up again and wanted to know if you guys think the quality has gone back up since then or if the same problems persist.

Kato
2014-02-02, 07:12 AM
So I have a question. I stopped reading during the recent tournament arc, because it seemed like the quality had dropped and no one could ever challenge the protagonists. I also got tired of protagonists winning every single fight because of the "power of emotion".

I was thinking about picking the manga up again and wanted to know if you guys think the quality has gone back up since then or if the same problems persist.

... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
Well, the timing is kind of bad... The last chapter was pretty horrible, apparently there's quite a consensus on that.
In general... yeah, there have been a few situations where the Fairies were in a tight spot. But I think you will have to realize this is a Shounen, they will always come out on top and yes, most of the time it will be by power of emotion power boost. That's just the rule of their universe.

So, while I'm not quite sure what would get you back interested... I'm still entertained but there really isn't much change to the general tone, except for some rather dark stuff recently.

Fiery Diamond
2014-02-02, 12:45 PM

The quality has plummeted. It has ... different ... problems now. (this is not a hentai, Mr. Writer)

Apart from some badass moments in the tournament + dragons arc, I really think the series stopped being the excellent quality that made it my favorite after the Island arc finished.

lord_khaine
2014-02-02, 02:09 PM
Well.. actually i think it has somewhat begun to shape up again in the last arc, the faries has actually suffered some meaningfull setbacks, and Natsu has gotten smacked around a bit.

Areswargod139
2014-02-02, 04:38 PM
Well.. actually i think it has somewhat begun to shape up again in the last arc, the faries has actually suffered some meaningfull setbacks, and Natsu has gotten smacked around a bit.

I'll agree with you and add a bit more as well--I think we're beginning to see the real pecking order form. We've got mages, next up demons, dragons, agnologia or whatever it was, and finally Zeref. Natsu is weaker than the guild ace Gildartz, who was defeated by a dragon. Natsu did pretty well against some dragons thanks to having dragon slaying magic. It was super-effective!

He tries to fight against a demon of whom he has no special advantage, so he's fighting at that just below an guild ace level of expertise (he did get a bit of a boost before the tourney but still...) of course he gets curbstomped. And I'm happy the author's did it that way. Like his artistic counterpart Luffy, his friends were beginning to rely on him too much. I hope this arc will be a chance for others in the guild to try and level up a bit fighting some major baddies and let Natsu and Erza play on the sidelines for once. We haven't seen the rank and file guild members fight since waaaay back with Juan.

lord_khaine
2014-02-03, 07:49 AM
Well.. things are maybe not that clear cut in the power ranking, because we have Laxus who casually stomped a demon like it were a mook, and Silver who apperently frozen an entire village and its dragon.

Infernally Clay
2014-02-03, 09:29 AM

Don't worry, nakama power will balance the scales. :smallamused:

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-03, 10:49 AM
I'm curious where all the complainers here are under the impression that FT was ever terribly good?

Tenrou Island and....?

Not to mention that particular arc ended with dueling deus ex machina class plot devices and the most contrived timeskip I've yet seen. Among other things.

LaZodiac
2014-02-03, 11:11 AM
I'm curious where all the complainers here are under the impression that FT was ever terribly good?

Tenrou Island and....?

Not to mention that particular arc ended with dueling deus ex machina class plot devices and the most contrived timeskip I've yet seen. Among other things.

For that one/two chapters where Natsu tried to fight Gildartz and got his ass handed to him on a silver platter. That's when Fairy Tail was good.

Fiery Diamond
2014-02-03, 09:18 PM

Did you even notice my white text? You know, one of the primary reasons I think the manga quality has plummeted? Maybe I should have been more obvious and not put "(this is not a hentai, Mr. Writer)" in white text.

Seriously, we had some pretty bad fanservice before, but the current arc is just disgusting.

Tenrou Island and....?

Timeskip, I'll grant you. That is, in fact, the point at which I feel the quality started to rapidly drop. Dueling DEMs is not, in fact, a bad thing, however. It's actually fairly interesting. DEM is only a bad thing when it comes out of nowhere AND invalidates the situation. The Dragon of the Apocalypse did not come out of nowhere, and has a set place in the setting. Fairy Circle didn't come out of nowhere, either: it was pretty obvious that we'd see the third Fairy magic at some point, and probably sooner rather than later. And while Cana isn't actually that great with Fairy Glitter, conceptually, both of the first two Fairy Magics were conceptually "plot device" level of power. Both Dragon and Circle ran afoul of the second aspect, but in interesting ways: Dragon was "nope, you lose" and Circle was "can't touch this." It was, in fact, unstoppable force meets immovable object. Which is not at all a "bad" thing from my perspective.

Secondly, don't hate on FT. Fairy Tail is one of the best long-running shounen manga there is, and for a long time was topping the list as my favorite manga. There are, no doubt, plenty of manga in different genres with different targeted demographics that are better done. But I like "power of emotion and FRIENDSHIP!" magic fighting stories. Plot and character-wise, FT is actually very good for that genre. Compare to Naruto, which was my introduction to anime and manga back when I was in high school (I think it was in 2005 that I discovered it). Both series have fifteen million characters, but which one actually has interesting characters with more character development than "NEW POWERS" and "ANGST"? Both series feature a primary team of a small handful of people, but which one actually has likeable female characters? Both have multiple story arcs, but which one actually has stories that make some semblance of sense instead of being convoluted out the wazoo (and no, time travel does not automatically make things convoluted - but the issues with time travel weren't introduced until after the series' downturn anyway, which helps my point about it being a downturn)? And so on.

LaZodiac
2014-02-03, 09:27 PM
*comparing Fairy Tail to Naruto*

...I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of Fairy Tail.

But you just convinced me that yeah, Fairy Tail's alright.

Anteros
2014-02-03, 09:44 PM
... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
Well, the timing is kind of bad... The last chapter was pretty horrible, apparently there's quite a consensus on that.
In general... yeah, there have been a few situations where the Fairies were in a tight spot. But I think you will have to realize this is a Shounen, they will always come out on top and yes, most of the time it will be by power of emotion power boost. That's just the rule of their universe.

So, while I'm not quite sure what would get you back interested... I'm still entertained but there really isn't much change to the general tone, except for some rather dark stuff recently.

I don't generally mind shounen. I enjoyed other big Shounens like Bleach or Dragon Ball, although I couldn't get into Naruto or One Piece. I used to enjoy Fairy Tail as well.

It's not the "power of emotion" power up that bothers me in itself so much as the fact that the author was using it as a crutch to have characters power up for fights they shouldn't be winning every single time, for every single character with no other explanation. The point where Gray beat Rufus was where I eventually put the manga down.

You guys have talked me out of picking it back up for now. I may be back here in a few months to ask again though. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I apologize if someone made a point I didn't respond to. I'm trying to skim each post very lightly to avoid spoilers in case I do decide to ever read this again.

Forum Explorer
2014-02-03, 10:00 PM
Did you even notice my white text? You know, one of the primary reasons I think the manga quality has plummeted? Maybe I should have been more obvious and not put "(this is not a hentai, Mr. Writer)" in white text.

Seriously, we had some pretty bad fanservice before, but the current arc is just disgusting.

Timeskip, I'll grant you. That is, in fact, the point at which I feel the quality started to rapidly drop. Dueling DEMs is not, in fact, a bad thing, however. It's actually fairly interesting. DEM is only a bad thing when it comes out of nowhere AND invalidates the situation. The Dragon of the Apocalypse did not come out of nowhere, and has a set place in the setting. Fairy Circle didn't come out of nowhere, either: it was pretty obvious that we'd see the third Fairy magic at some point, and probably sooner rather than later. And while Cana isn't actually that great with Fairy Glitter, conceptually, both of the first two Fairy Magics were conceptually "plot device" level of power. Both Dragon and Circle ran afoul of the second aspect, but in interesting ways: Dragon was "nope, you lose" and Circle was "can't touch this." It was, in fact, unstoppable force meets immovable object. Which is not at all a "bad" thing from my perspective.

Secondly, don't hate on FT. Fairy Tail is one of the best long-running shounen manga there is, and for a long time was topping the list as my favorite manga. There are, no doubt, plenty of manga in different genres with different targeted demographics that are better done. But I like "power of emotion and FRIENDSHIP!" magic fighting stories. Plot and character-wise, FT is actually very good for that genre. Compare to Naruto, which was my introduction to anime and manga back when I was in high school (I think it was in 2005 that I discovered it). Both series have fifteen million characters, but which one actually has interesting characters with more character development than "NEW POWERS" and "ANGST"? Both series feature a primary team of a small handful of people, but which one actually has likeable female characters? Both have multiple story arcs, but which one actually has stories that make some semblance of sense instead of being convoluted out the wazoo (and no, time travel does not automatically make things convoluted - but the issues with time travel weren't introduced until after the series' downturn anyway, which helps my point about it being a downturn)? And so on.

You must always suspect white text will be missed. In other words, don't put anything in white text that's important to understanding your post. Not sure if that's this situation, but it's a good general policy.

You know what I think you'd like? Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Particularly ViVid which takes place after the end of the main series. The series on a whole has an absolute minimal amount of angst and is generally amazing.

Fiery Diamond
2014-02-04, 12:45 AM
You must always suspect white text will be missed. In other words, don't put anything in white text that's important to understanding your post. Not sure if that's this situation, but it's a good general policy.

Yeah, that really was completely my fault.

You know what I think you'd like? Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

Particularly ViVid which takes place after the end of the main series. The series on a whole has an absolute minimal amount of angst and is generally amazing.

I may have to check this out.

...I'll be honest. I'm not a big fan of Fairy Tail.

But you just convinced me that yeah, Fairy Tail's alright.
:smallbiggrin: Glad to be of service.

Kato
2014-02-04, 02:22 AM

While I don't hate it by now (well, except that last chapter - really, this is going to go down as one of the worst chapters in the manga's history :smalltongue: - I quite liked it when it started. Or maybe better "liked it most when it started". While Tenryou Island was okay I can't really say it was my favorite part ever or anything.

re: FT vs Naruto: Kishi's writing really went down over time while I feel FT's stayed more... balanced. Yeah, there were bad parts but none were as bad as Naruto's worst. On the other hand, when Naruto is good, it can be really good. But... yeah, Kishimoto can't write a decent female character if his life depends on it :smallsigh:

lord_khaine
2014-02-04, 06:44 PM

Well.. having now finally seen the hidden message then i guess i will comment on it as well..
Because as long as the fanservice is actually placed as a believeable part of the story, then i give a flying duck about it, besides commenting on that it is at least partly equal.

It's not the "power of emotion" power up that bothers me in itself so much as the fact that the author was using it as a crutch to have characters power up for fights they shouldn't be winning every single time, for every single character with no other explanation. The point where Gray beat Rufus was where I eventually put the manga down.

You guys have talked me out of picking it back up for now. I may be back here in a few months to ask again though.

The you should actually considder picking it up instead, because those certainly also were the worst points of the serie imo, but i feel the current arc have taken it into consideration and toned it down greatly.

Olinser
2014-02-07, 10:09 AM
My reaction to this week's chapter can be summed up by a trope:

Like You Would Really Do It (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LikeYouWouldReallyDoIt)

Kato
2014-02-07, 10:14 AM
New chapter.

Rocks fall, everybody dies.
Well, kind of...

Because demon chick got impatient they can't remote control Face. But that's only a minor setback. New demons, kind of. Jackal is just revived but Tempest apparently gets a new body and loses his memory upon every death... seems somewhat inconvenient. But assuming that's true for all demons... WHO THE EFF IS ZERO?! Genderswap Ultear reborn?! Also, Minerva is back and I would say something about her outrageous outfit but I guess it's pretty subtle compared to recent events... Also: naked Mira. Will get an ugly face. Because crazy scientist chick doesn't like pretty girls.

And the demons are right above the guild when Elfman tries to blow it up... and apparently Cana can't stop him and there is a huge explosion. I'm at least curious how they will survive, because obviously they do. (Also, Elfman somehow reminded me of Hofmann's Hook from the movie of the same name... "Don't try to stop me, don't you DARE try to stop me, (try to stop me)."

LaZodiac
2014-02-07, 11:58 AM
Hiro. HIRO.

Can we not go one ****ing week. ONE ****ING WEEK. Without something UNBELIEVABLY creepy.

I don't care if she's a demon, Lemy looks like a young child and she just said "OH YOUR GLARE IS SO CUTE I THINK I MIGHT GET PREGNANT"

What the hell is wrong with you.

Fiery Diamond
2014-02-07, 02:06 PM
Hiro. HIRO.

Can we not go one ****ing week. ONE ****ING WEEK. Without something UNBELIEVABLY creepy.

I don't care if she's a demon, Lemy looks like a young child and she just said "OH YOUR GLARE IS SO CUTE I THINK I MIGHT GET PREGNANT"

What the hell is wrong with you.

I'm with you on that. At this point, the main reason I'm still reading is because I keep hoping that maybe this beloved series that I've sunk so much time into will quit with the creepy and inappropriate and go back to being good. If this were a new series I was trying out that was like it has been the last few months? I'd drop it.

Spacewolf
2014-02-07, 02:23 PM
You're surprised a team of literal demons are being made out to be creepy?

Surely that's to be expected.

LaZodiac
2014-02-07, 06:49 PM
You're surprised a team of literal demons are being made out to be creepy?

Surely that's to be expected.

You can be creepy without implying the loli character wants to get pregnant.

Spacewolf
2014-02-07, 06:54 PM
Sure that's not just a saying in Japan? I seem to remember something of the sort showing up elsewhere.

Either way it seemed to be more of a "I want to marry my father" or whatever Tvtropes wants to call it situation meant to show that she's the stupid kiddy one.

LaZodiac
2014-02-07, 07:42 PM
Sure that's not just a saying in Japan? I seem to remember something of the sort showing up elsewhere.

Either way it seemed to be more of a "I want to marry my father" or whatever Tvtropes wants to call it situation meant to show that she's the stupid kiddy one.

...it is decidedly not a phrase in Japan, and I HIGHLY doubt she's just joking around, since she specifically made Tempest "super hot".

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-07, 08:43 PM
Little demon lady needs to take something for those raging hormones.

Though what is it Hiro every other chapter we get a cliffhanger? Your boring me now.

Tebryn
2014-02-07, 08:54 PM
Little demon lady needs to take something for those raging hormones.

Though what is it Hiro every other chapter we get a cliffhanger? Your boring me now.

They're not even cliffhangers. We know the outcome, everything is going to be fine. I'd like to say I'm surprised but this is following Rave Master's descent into total misery pretty much to a T. A somewhat interesting concept drug out well past it's prime (with reused character designs from Rave Master at that) and new EEEVVIIILLL enemies to up the anty. When they hit the Oracian Sies I was pretty much done with the series. Now it's in the same bin as Naruto and Bleach, reading it to see it end.

Kato
2014-02-08, 05:43 AM
Well, as much as I like(d) FT, ending of cliffhangers is the sign of a bad show that can't keep viewers interested in other ways...
That said, I am at least curious HOW they will survive. (While last time I actually was curious if Jellal would make it)

In regards to the other discussion... I have to say I don't quite agree with Zodiac's problem on the new character. Don't get me wrong, there clearly is something wrong with Hiro's sex life according to the last month of updates or so but without having any interest in lolis... I don't see the problem. For me she's not a child but a short, flat demon who has every right to be horny. Or as much as anyone else.

lord_khaine
2014-02-08, 05:54 AM
Yeah, her behavior were quite clearly adult, so i really dont see any issue with the short demon besides finding her really annoying as a character.

And despite being slightly amused by the low quality chain used by Tartaros (a sword will apperently cut though them), then i am actually continuing to find my interest in the new chapter rising.

I cant find the inapropriate things other people are complaining about, but are for that matter also more interested in how it is they survive this, my personal entry on the betting pool is on that 3rd great fairy spell.

LaZodiac
2014-02-08, 09:28 AM
My problem with Lemy is comparable to when they sexualize Wendy. Yeah, she's pretty wise for her age and stuff, and thus fairly adult. But she still LOOKS like a child.

Hell, I wouldn't really mind, if not for the fact that she said that one line about getting pregnant that just skeeved me right the hell out.

Cen
2014-02-08, 12:13 PM
I bet they survive by super-stretching Horologium. If I'm right, I'm gonna quit this manga.

Random question - was it ever explained what was behind these super secret doors under FT mansion, that Makarove has shown to Laxus?

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-08, 12:29 PM
My problem with Lemy is comparable to when they sexualize Wendy. Yeah, she's pretty wise for her age and stuff, and thus fairly adult. But she still LOOKS like a child.

Hell, I wouldn't really mind, if not for the fact that she said that one line about getting pregnant that just skeeved me right the hell out.

While short and *ahem* not terribly developed the design is terribly loli-esque to me. While I'd bet large money in either case this seems more just really really short to me.

The pregnant line is would be creepy coming from a woman of Mirajane's build.

LaZodiac
2014-02-08, 12:41 PM
While short and *ahem* not terribly developed the design is terribly loli-esque to me. While I'd bet large money in either case this seems more just really really short to me.

Well yes it's gonna turn out she's like the oldest of them or something, but still.

Yes, yes it would.

Kato
2014-02-08, 01:18 PM
Random question - was it ever explained what was behind these super secret doors under FT mansion, that Makarove has shown to Laxus?
Kind of, I think. It's the third Great FT Spell, Luminaire or something like that. :smalltongue:

Sorry, I still don't get it. Yeah, its stupid but... so terribly disturbing? :smallconfused: I'll assume the idea of a woman wanting to get pregnant is not yucky, the idea of a child wanting to get pregnant... more so. But she's pretty clearly not a child just uncommonly build. If they did the same thing with Wendy, yeah, I'd agree, but she's not Wendy.

Socratov
2014-02-08, 02:41 PM
*gasp* We have reached page 49 already! Maybe we should suggest page titles for the next thread...

mine goes to:

Fairy Tail III: Demon-ex Machina

LaZodiac
2014-02-08, 03:58 PM
*gasp* We have reached page 49 already! Maybe we should suggest page titles for the next thread...

mine goes to:

I like that one.

lord_khaine
2014-02-08, 06:10 PM

While Lemy is an adult demon and can act as stupidly as she wants, then i do agree about the treatment of Wendy.

Besides her being a child and imo really not belonging anywhere near the FT fights, then the way she has been dressed and and so on is despicable.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-08, 07:35 PM
Kind of, I think. It's the third Great FT Spell, Luminaire or something like that. :smalltongue:

The spells are Fairy Law, Glitter, and Sphere.

The "Lumen Histoire" we don't know about yet.

Sorry, I still don't get it. Yeah, its stupid but... so terribly disturbing? :smallconfused: I'll assume the idea of a woman wanting to get pregnant is not yucky, the idea of a child wanting to get pregnant... more so. But she's pretty clearly not a child just uncommonly build. If they did the same thing with Wendy, yeah, I'd agree, but she's not Wendy.

If I were to rationalize it I would say some combination of being waaay to forward and way irresponsible. I'm personally rather conditioned to treat pregnancy way more importantly then say romance and sex alone. Reducing having a kid to a raunchy sex gag exceeds my ability to not find "creepy" and disturbing.

Done.

While Lemy is an adult demon and can act as stupidly as she wants, then i do agree about the treatment of Wendy.

Besides her being a child and imo really not belonging anywhere near the FT fights, then the way she has been dressed and and so on is despicable.

Japan evidently disagrees... because Wendy is far from alone yes? And looking beyond the loli, well how many teen girls are there. 16 will get you 20...

lord_khaine
2014-02-08, 08:06 PM
Japan evidently disagrees... because Wendy is far from alone yes? And looking beyond the loli, well how many teen girls are there. 16 will get you 20...

Japans obsession with extremely young girls is also imo one of the most distrubing things about that culture.
And as for the teen girls then i really dont care about them, since they are all above the legal age.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-08, 08:22 PM
And from and outside perspective one could argue the inflation of "child" status into the late teens (and pressing ever forward) now is not only ludicrous but rather stifling. All in where you sit.

But putting that aside... ehh nothing to do about it. Trot out the standard defense that in the end, this isn't real. Agree or disagree. Watch or don't watch. Nothing more to be said.

Kato
2014-02-09, 05:03 AM
Ah, forgot that in my last few posts... Agreed.

The spells are Fairy Law, Glitter, and Sphere.

The "Lumen Histoire" we don't know about yet.

Ah, sorry. But that was what's in the basement, right?

Reducing having a kid to a raunchy sex gag exceeds my ability to not find "creepy" and disturbing.
But the point still stands, our loli demon is not a child. Well, very likely not, anyway.
But I don't think that's a place to discuss legal ages... Even though I do in general agree Japan has a disturbing trend to sexualize little girls.

LaZodiac
2014-02-09, 10:33 AM
You know, a thought occurs to me.

Tempesta doesn't even look like he's drawn by Hiro anymore, his design is so different. It's an interesting touch, to say the least.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-09, 12:10 PM
Ah, sorry. But that was what's in the basement, right?

Yes, the glowy thing in the basement.

But the point still stands, our loli demon is not a child. Well, very likely not, anyway.
But I don't think that's a place to discuss legal ages... Even though I do in general agree Japan has a disturbing trend to sexualize little girls.

Well yeah and there's a lot to be said for this not being reality too. That's more a legalistic sort of thing with overriding concerns.

Its simply reached the limits of what my own personal programming even as desensitized as it is can let me get away with.

Socratov
2014-02-14, 05:17 AM
So, finally we can see Cana's magic. Quite potent I'd say. And it seems Hiro is getting this hentaifever out of his system (some gratuitous nakedness, but it's turning around at the least, besides, Mira is back to business. So, all of FT vs. the demons. time for some whoopass. I'm excited for what comes next...

Kato
2014-02-14, 05:45 AM
Yeah, less hentai-ish this week.

I guess it's not the worst cop-out for the rescue but.. If Cana can just turn anybody into cards, how is she not the most powerful FT wizard? And if you can fight against being turned into a card, why does it still work on Elfman? And why does it cure Elfman of his mind control? And... and... ah, whatever.

Lisanna and Natsu rescue Erza (well, I guess Lisanna did the larger part because otherwise Natsu would have to face naked Erza to do so). btw, where did Lisanna get the bikini from?
Apparently the sword is somewhat special, we'll see how much so and if he keeps it.

And... how crappy is the demons intel if they don't know Mira uses demon magic and don't consider the possibility it might be a stupid idea to pump her with more demon power? I guess it's not something you can easily research but it seems a bit unsensible from their side.

But yeah, time for the fairies' counterattack!

Hopeless
2014-02-14, 06:15 AM
Yeah, less hentai-ish this week.

I guess it's not the worst cop-out for the rescue but.. If Cana can just turn anybody into cards, how is she not the most powerful FT wizard? And if you can fight against being turned into a card, why does it still work on Elfman? And why does it cure Elfman of his mind control? And... and... ah, whatever.

Lisanna and Natsu rescue Erza (well, I guess Lisanna did the larger part because otherwise Natsu would have to face naked Erza to do so). btw, where did Lisanna get the bikini from?
Apparently the sword is somewhat special, we'll see how much so and if he keeps it.

And... how crappy is the demons intel if they don't know Mira uses demon magic and don't consider the possibility it might be a stupid idea to pump her with more demon power? I guess it's not something you can easily research but it seems a bit unsensible from their side.

But yeah, time for the fairies' counterattack!

Hmm Wasn't Mira on the island with everybody else when they time skipped 7 years?

It could be that her hiatus from active work as a Fairy Tail Guild Mage since Lisanna "died" may have played a part in why they didn't know what she could do.

After all when this first started she was pretty much a favourite pin up in a wizard weekly, whose to say whoever checked up on Fairy Tail actually bothered to confirm what every mage could do after all the first group they wiped the floor with barring Mr Lightning (yes I forgot his name!:smallredface:) was probably top of their list of most dangerous foes!

I would have been more worried about where Gildartz was after all how does an army of demons fight something that survived Acnologia technically at least twice?!:smalleek:

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-14, 08:03 AM
Alright Hiro now its time to stop screwing around.

Not gonna lie go Cana.

LaZodiac
2014-02-14, 10:00 AM
How did Erza get out?

It's implied the sword they used to cut their chains is one of Erza's swords, thats what I'm reading into this. So...how did Erza get out? Did she seduce the gecko monster?

Also that scienceloli is such a failure. IS it so hard to tell when someone's already got demon particles inside of them? I mean, even if you didn't know she used "Soul Satan" magic, it still should be something your investigation shows.

I'm glad to see our enemies are so incompetent. Also, I repeat the question others have asked, where did Lisanna get the bikini from, and why is it making her hair turn into cat ears?

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-14, 10:33 AM
I'm glad to see our enemies are so incompetent. Also, I repeat the question others have asked, where did Lisanna get the bikini from, and why is it making her hair turn into cat ears?

Magic. Her's specifically.

Also someone should make a new thread.

LaZodiac
2014-02-14, 11:07 AM
Magic. Her's specifically.

Also someone should make a new thread.

...right what is Lissana's magic again? I seriously just don't remember.

You do it :smallbiggrin:

Forum Explorer
2014-02-14, 11:51 AM
I think Elfman was freed from the Mind Control because he completed the orders given to me, which us to blow up Fairy Tale. No one died, but the building was destroyed which was close enough to break the geas.

Friv
2014-02-14, 11:59 AM
...right what is Lissana's magic again? I seriously just don't remember.

Lisanna has the same magic as the rest of her family - transforming into creature-hybrids. She mostly turns into half-human, half-animal creatures that look like mythical beasts, such as mermaids or harpies, IIRC.

LaZodiac
2014-02-14, 12:17 PM
Lisanna has the same magic as the rest of her family - transforming into creature-hybrids. She mostly turns into half-human, half-animal creatures that look like mythical beasts, such as mermaids or harpies, IIRC.

...RIGHT! She, Elfman, and Mirajene are all family. I'd actually forgotten that.

Wait, so Elfman is mythical creatures (beastmen, lizardmen), Lisanna are natural creatures (cat, bird, fish), and Mirajene is demonic creatures (succubi and stuff).

That's pretty cool and it's probably a good example of how under utilized Lisanna is that I completely forgot :smallredface:

Inuzuka
2014-02-14, 12:23 PM

Well to be fair, that spell was first shown all the way back in chapter 76, and it didn't really seem overpowered then... but it wasn't used on as many people then actually just went and reread that chapter, looks like it hit about 30 people but I'd guess most of them weren't mages.

Friv
2014-02-14, 01:21 PM
Well to be fair, that spell was first shown all the way back in chapter 76, and it didn't really seem overpowered then... but it wasn't used on as many people then actually just went and reread that chapter, looks like it hit about 30 people but I'd guess most of them weren't mages.

Yeah, when it was used the first time it seemed to not work particularly well against strong-willed people - otherwise, they would have just turned Erza into a card in the first place and called it a day. One of the trapped people was able to cut Lucy's ropes from inside his card, for example, and he was just a normal guy (IIRC).

My assumption is that, depending on the strength of your will, you can resist or eventually escape from the card on your own. Elfman's will was, by the point that Cana zapped him, basically nothing, so he got zonked out and stayed in the card, and everyone else trusted Cana and so stayed in the cards willingly.

And also I think that was a pretty cool moment for Cana so I don't even care how it worked. ;)

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-14, 01:43 PM

I already have one. I don't need 2/4 thank you very much.

LaZodiac
2014-02-14, 02:57 PM
Okay then I will. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16997938)