PDA

View Full Version : V.I.N.CENT vs. R2-D2

Fragenstein
2012-09-04, 01:05 PM
Let's have a droid-a-lympics featuring my two favorite know-it-alls. The Vital Information Necessary CENTralized unit from Black Hole against the ever-awesome astromech, R2-D2. Two smarty-pants, high tech miracles of modern science going head to head in a variety of competitions.

Navigation... R2's specialty and what he was built for. He regulary guides Luke and others through hyperspace without error. Except for the time he allowed Luke to crash into a swamp. But I don't really think that was his fault. Vincent, on the other hand, may have actually navigated the tititular black hole itself with the psychic help of Dr. Kate McCrae.

Combat... Vincent has blasters and light armor. R2-D2 has gotten through a lot of scraps, but how would he stand against someone who took down both S.T.A.R. and Maximilian? Vincent would, of course, have to find a way to either charge his blasters long enough to make use of them, or discover B.O.B.'s trick of imparting a permanent charge.

Information Retrieval... Now here's Vincent's specialty. When our heroes have to know something immediately, who will give the best help-desk response time? R2 can hack into nearby networks and draw on larger databases, which is a trick I don't think we've seen Vincent pull off. The latter seems to have traded that for his E.S.P.

Sidekickery.... If you had your choice, which one would you prefer by your side?

And as a bonus, just for the why-not of it, pre-asthmatic General Grievous vs. Maximilian. That one's just a flat out brawl.

pendell
2012-09-04, 02:04 PM
Let's have a droid-a-lympics featuring my two favorite know-it-alls. The Vital Information Necessary CENTralized unit from Black Hole against the ever-awesome astromech, R2-D2. Two smarty-pants, high tech miracles of modern science going head to head in a variety of competitions.

Okay. Um.. iis there a question somewhere?

At any rate, out-of-the-box I prefer VINCENT for no other reason than that he doesn't require a translator to converse with. That changes dramatically if I can install an aftermarket vocoder on R2.

Navigation... R2's specialty and what he was built for. He regulary guides Luke and others through hyperspace without error. Except for the time he allowed Luke to crash into a swamp. But I don't really think that was his fault. Vincent, on the other hand, may have actually navigated the tititular black hole itself with the psychic help of Dr. Kate McCrae.

IIRC, Yoda was messing with the X-wing via the Force, and therefore I'm not sure anyone could have brought the craft down successfully.

At any rate, both appear to be accomplished interstellar navigators so I have nothing concrete to choose from. Still, R2 gets bonus points for being able to perform repairs on a ship. I don't know whether VINCENT can or not, but R2 has demonstrated both starship repair and astrogation skills. So some advantage to R2.

Combat... Vincent has blasters and light armor. R2-D2 has gotten through a lot of scraps, but how would he stand against someone who took down both S.T.A.R. and Maximilian? Vincent would, of course, have to find a way to either charge his blasters long enough to make use of them, or discover B.O.B.'s trick of imparting a permanent charge.

Gotta give this one to VINCENT. He appears to be designed from the ground up to have combat as a secondary function, as he has integral blasters and demonstrates great skill with them. He also demonstrates a certain degree of tactical ingenuity in his fights. While R2 also demonstrates skill, combat is an afterthought or an addon for him.

Information Retrieval... Now here's Vincent's specialty. When our heroes have to know something immediately, who will give the best help-desk response time? R2 can hack into nearby networks and draw on larger databases, which is a trick I don't think we've seen Vincent pull off. The latter seems to have traded that for his E.S.P.

In the novelization, the ESP is only possible because Dr. Mccrae has an implant allowing her to interface with Vincent in this fashion. So ESP is of dubious value.

At any rate, R2 demonstrated great onboard capacity in that he could carry the entirety of the Death Star plans in his memory. But his information retrieval capacity is limited by his ability to communicate said information. Unless C3PO is around (and C3PO has little purpose in the movies other than being R2's mouthpiece) , I will need aftermarket upgrades to make him useable.

Sidekickery.... If you had your choice, which one would you prefer by your side?

All other things being equal, I'll take VINCENT for the human speech, the better combat capability and the hover capability (harder to fall down, more accessible terrain). However, if the adventure occurs in the GFFA I'd take R2 because I expect spare parts and upgrades will be more readily available for him.

And as a bonus, just for the why-not of it, pre-asthmatic General Grievous vs. Maximilian. That one's just a flat out brawl.

Maximilian if Grievous doesn't have lightsabers. Maximilian's armor is tough. If Grievous has lightsabers and energy shields, give it to Grievous, as he'll use longer reach to dice Max while Max's ranged weapons plink off the energy shields.

Plus, I just like Max better. He was spooky, absolutely silent, and wasn't eating up screen time better used by Christopher Lee.

Lemme add an entry to this Olympics; HK-47 vs. R2. vs. Vincent vs. Grievous. In the Taris duelling arena. Four bots come in , one bot comes out and three piles of scrap. Who?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Glyphstone
2012-09-04, 03:24 PM
Movie Grievous or Cartoon Grevious?

pendell
2012-09-04, 03:29 PM
Movie grievous. I haven't seen the cartoons.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mando Knight
2012-09-04, 03:30 PM
Movie Grievous or Cartoon Grevious?

He said pre-asthmatic, so I assume it's Genndy's Over-the-Top Grievous rather than the movie's Everything's-Better-With-Spinning Grievous.

Fragenstein
2012-09-04, 04:02 PM
He said pre-asthmatic, so I assume it's Genndy's Over-the-Top Grievous rather than the movie's Everything's-Better-With-Spinning Grievous.

Say, that's right. The Genndy Grievous would likely destroy Maximilian unless the bot's armor was some mandalorian analogue. I was thinking the CG Clone Wars version, but that was still after the Jedi chest-crush, wasn't it?

What about the fact that we only saw perhaps two of Max's four arms in action? Any speculation on the others? I believe the Vincent jump-starter came from his midsection, but I might be wrong.

How about the Reign In Hell Maximilian from the final sequence? Any possible any possible advantages for become what seems to be a pit demon of some sort?

GloatingSwine
2012-09-05, 05:10 PM
The answer we are looking for here is obviously Interplanetary Ninja Assassin Claptrap.

GloatingSwine
2012-09-05, 05:11 PM
The answer we are looking for here is obviously Interplanetary Ninja Assassin Claptrap.

Mando Knight
2012-09-06, 08:19 AM
I was thinking the CG Clone Wars version, but that was still after the Jedi chest-crush, wasn't it?

Actually, the chest-crush was supposed to happen fairly late in the Clone Wars... when Palpatine is "kidnapped" by Grievous, I believe. However, the The Clone Wars Grievous more-or-less sounds the same as in Revenge of the Sith, while taking place throughout the Clone Wars, starting sometime before the troops adopted the Phase II armor. The wiki states that it aggravated his robo-asthma (which is possible, I don't recall TCW Grievous coughing in nearly every line like RotS Grievous) rather than caused it.

Fragenstein
2012-09-06, 08:42 AM
Actually, the chest-crush was supposed to happen fairly late in the Clone Wars... when Palpatine is "kidnapped" by Grievous, I believe. However, the The Clone Wars Grievous more-or-less sounds the same as in Revenge of the Sith, while taking place throughout the Clone Wars, starting sometime before the troops adopted the Phase II armor. The wiki states that it aggravated his robo-asthma (which is possible, I don't recall TCW Grievous coughing in nearly every line like RotS Grievous) rather than caused it.

Yeah. Late third season of Genndy Tartakovsky's Star War: Clone Wars. Up until then, Grievous had been depicted as a cunning, Jedi killing blur of wind and death. After that, his competence slipped a bit.

So the CG Star Wars: The Clone Wars has a weakened Grievous that might be in trouble against Maximilian. What Genndy had wrought, however, would blow past him like he was nothing. Unless, as stated, Max's armor is Madalorian equivalent. You have to admit he was tough. The brute took a lot of hits without showing so much as a carbon score. A light saber might have trouble hacking its way to vitals.

Mando Knight
2012-09-06, 09:04 AM
A light saber might have trouble hacking its way to vitals.

Interesting fact: lightsabers have never been shown to be insta-kill weapons against armored opponents in the films, except against the droids, which were that Trade Federation trash anyway.

Fragenstein
2012-09-06, 09:14 AM
Interesting fact: lightsabers have never been shown to be insta-kill weapons against armored opponents in the films, except against the droids, which were that Trade Federation trash anyway.

Yeah. I often bring up that Vader had gotten tagged square in his shoulder armor in Empire Strikes Back. I don't know if that area would have been prosthetic, but it seemed to bring pain and anger which led to him immediately chopping off Luke's unarmored hand.

So, no, a solid hit from a light saber against armor will not automatically dismember. Even the first movie showed one being slow to cut through a heavily armored door.

Man. I wish I could find a good source on Maximilian's abilities. Even a decent movie shot of all his arms. So far all I can find are partial frames and artistic re-interpretations.

Even the Disney Wiki itself lists his only weapons as blades, which we know is not true given the cattle prods he used against Vincent. It's clear that he has more than just the two spinny-blade arms to fight with.

DigoDragon
2012-09-07, 06:03 AM
Vincent has the advantage of me being able to understand his snarky remarks. I can only guess as to what R2 was beeping about.

Fragenstein
2012-09-07, 06:33 AM
Vincent has the advantage of me being able to understand his snarky remarks. I can only guess as to what R2 was beeping about.

But is that actually an advantage? How many times a day can you hear "All sunshine makes a desert, or so the Arabs say...", before you just want to launch him out of an airlock?

Gamer Girl
2012-09-07, 11:59 PM

Mobility: V.I.N.CENT can hover around freely in normal gravity environments. R2-D2 is stuck rolling around on small poorly designed wheels. Take R2 any place that does not have perfectly flat ground and he is in trouble. Granted R2 units are designed to stay in civilizations. But if say you crashed somewhere like a sandy desert or forest, it sure would be better to have a robot that can hover along with you. (and sure R2 has rockets, but that is still lame to having the ability to hover).

Intelligence: Knowing how to field strip a warp coil aside, V.I.N.CENT again fly's rings around R2-D2 in terms of intelligence. V.I.N.CENT is at least at a 'collage graduate level', while R2 is maybe a 'five year old', at best. To take just one good example: R2 is guarding Padme and decides to 'switch off'!?! What kind of 'guard' is that? And even more to the point, say an evil monster or assassain did come into the room to kill Padme in her sleep, what could R2 do? Beep at them a lot? Spray them with his fire extinguisher? Zap them with his joy buzzer on a stick?

Personality: V.I.N.CENT has the personality of a educated adult. R2-D2 is a horrible child, at best. R2 just about never does what he is told to do, and often just runs off and does whatever the frak he wants to do.

Mando Knight
2012-09-08, 12:22 AM
R2-D2 is stuck rolling around on small poorly designed wheels. Take R2 any place that does not have perfectly flat ground and he is in trouble.
Tatooine, Endor, Hoth, Dagobah...

while R2 is maybe a 'five year old', at best.
Because a five year old is able to repair a starship in mid-combat or hack a military supercomputer.
R2 is guarding Padme and decides to 'switch off'!?! What kind of 'guard' is that?
I don't recall it like that... the kouhuns (the space-centipedes) looked to me like they slipped through R2's sensor grid.

R2 just about never does what he is told to do, and often just runs off and does whatever the frak he wants to do.
Go fix Padmé's ship
Go find Obi-Wan Kenobi and deliver this message
Shut down the garbage mashers on the detention level
Calculate the route to Dagobah
Deliver this message to Jabba
When I give the signal, shoot my lightsaber out of your dome
Come over here and hack the console

If R2 recognizes you as his master, he'll follow you wherever. If you're 3PO, he thinks you're a pompous windbag who doesn't know how to get things done.

Gamer Girl
2012-09-08, 06:29 PM
Tatooine, Endor, Hoth, Dagobah...

You will notice they cheat in the movies. When on a planet R2 often just stands there(as you know he can't roll around). And worse, when he does roll around...look down...and you will amazing see that a nice, flat perfect little droid sized roadway has been made for him.

Because a five year old is able to repair a starship in mid-combat or hack a military supercomputer.
I don't recall it like that... the kouhuns (the space-centipedes) looked to me like they slipped through R2's sensor grid.

We are not talking about the knowledge side of intelligence. We are talking about using that intelligence.

So 'guard R2' has such poorly made sensors that two huge slimy things can slip through. But really, watch it again....R2 is sitting there all in the dark like he is shut off or on 'power save standby mode'. What kind of guard is that? The whole point of a droid guard it that it can stay awake and active 24/7!

Go fix Padmé's ship
Go find Obi-Wan Kenobi and deliver this message
Shut down the garbage mashers on the detention level
Calculate the route to Dagobah
Deliver this message to Jabba
When I give the signal, shoot my lightsaber out of your dome
Come over here and hack the console

If R2 recognizes you as his master, he'll follow you wherever. If you're 3PO, he thinks you're a pompous windbag who doesn't know how to get things done.

You might say R2 can follow orders, but he also acts like a bratty kid. How about ''stay in the ship'' and then he decides to go sightseeing on Genoius?