PDA

View Full Version : Prestige class: Vile servant of Nerull

theorclord
2012-09-05, 06:53 AM
This class is supposed to be a nice prestige class for people who want to control undeads without loosing caster levels as a cleric.

I would like feedback to whether the class features are too good.

Vile servant of Nerull
Requirements:
Alignment: Neutral Evil.
Base Save Bonus: Will +5.
Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks.
Feat: Extra Turning.
Spells: Able to cast 1st level divine spells and access to the death domain.
Special: Must have Nerull as patron deity
Class Skills:
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
HD: d8
Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Vile servants of Nerull are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all armor, and with shields.
Vile Rebuking: The Vile Servant of Nerull can perform a Vile Rebuking a number of times per day equal to 3 + cha modifier. The Vile Rebuking is as a standard Rebuke attempt; however those undead who would be rebuked are now commanded.
Turn Undead: Levels stack with cleric levels for turn attempts.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: The vile servant of nerull gains a caster level as if….
Divine Health (Ex): immune to all diseases including magical.
Dark Power (Ex): The number of undead a vile servant of nerull can control is (4+cha modifier) HD/Level instead of 4 HD/Level for animated dead. He can, however, still not control any undead of higher HD than usual.
Aura of Death (Su): Undead controlled by the vile servant of nerull gain turn resistance +2.
Bonus Domain: Chose another domain granted by nerull.
Animate dead (Su): Gains the animated dead spell as a super natural ability once per day at level 4, which increase to 2/day at level 8. The cleric does not need to supply the required gems for the spell if only animating a single undead or only animating HD 1 skeletons or HD 2 skeletons.
Create Undead (Su): Gain the Create undead spell as a super natural ability once per day at level 7. The cleric does not need to supply the required gems for the spell if only animating a single undead.
Create Greater Undead (Su): Gain the Create undead spell as a super natural ability once per day at level 10. The cleric does not need to supply the required gems for the spell if only animating a single undead. This replaces the ability gained at level 7.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Vile Rebuking, Turn Undead|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Divine Health|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Aura of Death|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Animate dead 1/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus Domain|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Dark power|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Create undead 1/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Animate dead 2/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6| |+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Create Greater undead 1/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
[/table]

Madara
2012-09-05, 07:04 AM
Ewww, the Death Domain!

Use the Necromancy Domain from EbCS if you can. Dark Power should probably be based on Charisma, as it fits thematicly and is normally used to determine abiltiy stuff. Make the Animate Dead the same as the Pale Master, (SP) spell-like, and don't make them pay.

Also, realize that they will get create undead and greate create undead as spells. Most people enjoy getting new abilities entirely rather than an extra use of a spell.

Feel free to come up with some way for them to enhance their undead, or spread disease, something cool. :smallsmile:

Keep working, I can't wait. :smallbiggrin:

theorclord
2012-09-05, 07:58 AM
Ewww, the Death Domain!
:) it seemed thematically correct. The idea is to create a sort of counter part to the Radiant Servant of Pelor from CD.

Use the Necromancy Domain from EbCS if you can. Dark Power should probably be based on Charisma, as it fits thematicly and is normally used to determine abiltiy stuff. Make the Animate Dead the same as the Pale Master, (SP) spell-like, and don't make them pay.
I just looked at the domain, and find the Death domain more relevant for the class.
The charisma thing will be changed. I already thought i had done this :)
If an ability is spell-like, they still have to supply components. If it is supernatural they don't as far as i know?

Also, realize that they will get create undead and greate create undead as spells. Most people enjoy getting new abilities entirely rather than an extra use of a spell.
The idea was merely to ensure they always had the spell prepared, and wouldn't have to pay for their undead minions :)

Feel free to come up with some way for them to enhance their undead, or spread disease, something cool. :smallsmile:
I might, but if you look in Libris mortis, book of undead, there is plenty of feats that does this already. I might give them a choice of those though

Madara
2012-09-05, 06:00 PM
I might, but if you look in Libris mortis, book of undead, there is plenty of feats that does this already. I might give them a choice of those though

Characters get about 6-8 feats over their time. They have 20 levels. They get dozens of spells. That's why characters will appretiate getting a unique ability from a PrC.

Also, Aura of Death is on the table, but not listed in the text.

theorclord
2012-09-07, 06:55 AM
Characters get about 6-8 feats over their time. They have 20 levels. They get dozens of spells. That's why characters will appretiate getting a unique ability from a PrC.

Also, Aura of Death is on the table, but not listed in the text.

Aura of death just wasn't formatted correctly :smallsmile:

Yeah players like to get nice things, however, if find that this most of the times is because players like powerful things. The idea is not to make a super powerful class, but rather a thematic class which gives more than usual, but still doesn't break balance.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-07, 07:12 AM
Spell like abilities do not require any components. They can be dispelled, counterspelled, etc as per regular spells.

I'd suggest that you allow a Vile Servant of Nerull to give those feats as bonus feats to any undead he creates.

Maybe add this at level 9:

Grant bonus feats (Su): At level 9, a Vile Servant of Nerull can grant a number of bonus feats equal to half his Charisma modifier (Minimum 1) to any undead he creates, the undead must meet all prerequisites for the feat at the end of creation. Despite this ability being supernatural, the feats he grants are not, unless the feat explicitly states otherwise.

The feats he can grant are: Baleful Moan, Corrupted Wild Shape, Death Master, Eviscerator, Empowered, Ghostly Grasp, Improved Energy Drain, Spell Drain, Improved Paralysis, Improved Turn Resistance, Lifebond, Lifesense, Positive Energy Resistance, Quicken Manifestation.