PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new news website

The Succubus
2012-09-05, 09:02 AM
Following a recent article on a well-known director's transitioning and making the fatal mistake of reading the comments section, I now find myself feeling physically sick and in dire need of a news website to replace the loathsome Yahoo News.:smallyuk:

At the moment, my main sources of news are:

The Register, which is IT centric news website with a bloke-y but generally quite agreeable community (just don't mention Apple Vs Android and you'll be fine).

Friendly Banter, which only really serves for big events.

Brian Pendell, for off-the-wall yet highly entertaining news stories.

So, can anyone suggest a fairly high quality news website somewhere? =)

Chromascope3D
2012-09-05, 09:56 AM
I generally go to the Escapist for all my geek news and NPR for my serious news.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-09-05, 09:57 AM
One could always try the BBC Website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/)...

El Reg and the BBC are the main sites I check at work.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-05, 10:05 AM
I'm a big fan of slashdot for tech news, though other sorts of news are not always covered as well. The quality of the discussion is also pretty dramatically better than on most sites.

polity4life
2012-09-05, 10:40 AM
I go to Fark.com. It's a meta-news site where people submit links to other publications, ranging from local news to the Guardian, about a pretty wide range of topics. Florida even has its own "tag" due to the sheer volume of derpy events that takes place down there.

Asta Kask
2012-09-05, 11:03 AM
There should be an option so they don't even show the comments. That way you can retain your faith in humanity.

ThePhantasm
2012-09-05, 12:05 PM
I just accept the fact that all news media is biased so I read BBC, CNN, and FOXNews and compare stuff that way. By reading those three together I can usually work out some idea of the full story. MSNBC is the most untrustworthy though, I feel (though FOX seems to be getting worse and worse... I may soon switch it out for something else).

Aedilred
2012-09-05, 12:47 PM
I get my news principally from Telegraph website: when I have time I also read the Independent; and I have a subscription to the (print) Economist which also has a fairly extensive free news site. From Facebook I tend to pick up links to "trending" articles on the Guardian, which I will read. I used to do the same with the Times, but lol paywall.

Until about six months ago I used to use the BBC as my principal online news source but they've changed the website design and I now find it very unfriendly. I still go there fairly frequently but not as my first point of call.

I hope that somewhere, in the middle of all of this, I'm getting something akin to a balanced view.

Of course much of the above is very UK-centric, although I think the BBC and Economist are available internationally. I've also heard good things about Al-Jazeera.

It might be worth checking out Reuters, too.

factotum
2012-09-05, 03:24 PM
I read the BBC for news news and the Reg for IT news--although, oddly enough, it was the latter website where I first learned of the September 11th attacks (there was an article on there about how the collapse of the towers had severely disrupted the telephone system in New York).

Pyromancer999
2012-09-05, 06:52 PM
New York Times and Google News (http://news.google.com) aren't too bad.

Neftren
2012-09-06, 02:27 PM
What kind of news are you looking for? General world news? Gaming news?

I get a lot of my news through Google Reader (RSS Feeds).

Gaming:
- Steam RSS Feed
- Eurogamer
- Penny Arcade Report
- Gamasutra
- Rock Paper Shotgun
- Joystiq
- PC Gamer
- IGN
- Kotaku

General News:
- Reuters (this is a Wire feed, so...)
- BBC World
- New York Times
- Techdirt
- Marketplace (American Public Media / NPR)

Technology:
- Macworld/PC World
- AppleInsider/Cult of Mac/MacRumors/9to5 Mac|Google/TUAW
- Daring Fireball
- Boy Genius
- Ars Technica
- The Verge
- Engadget
- Wired
- AnandTech
- The Register
- TechSpot
- Tom's Hardware
- Various Official Google Blogs
- Lifehacker/Gizmodo

Then I get a lot of Webcomics, so... :smallbiggrin:

Riverdance
2012-09-08, 02:38 PM
I generally go to the Escapist for all my geek news and NPR for my serious news.

I use NPR for my serious news as well, and Cracked for my weird factoids.