PDA

View Full Version : D&DNEXT Warlord PEACH

Prophet_of_Io
2012-09-06, 01:16 AM
I've posted this build on another site but I'd like to see what the fine people here at the GitP Forums.

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW, Head to THIS (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx) site to sign up for the playtest and see these packets or THIS (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pod/20120820) site to listen to the podcast mentioned.

So Mike Mearls, during the PA/PVP podcast on D&D next hinted that they were planning on using the Fighter's Combat Superiority (and thus Expertise Die) mechanics on the NEXT Warlord.

This, too me, makes a lot of sense. I love the Fighter mechanics so far, and I know they promised unique mechanics for each class but a) There are 13 classes I don't expect everything to be individual and b) You can use a mechanic without filling the same niche.

When I think of the Role the Warlord fills it's Defender/Healer/Buffer. So he's more of a Cleric than a Fighter, he just uses martial means.

So, knowing all that, here is my Warlord
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staunch and Inspiring, a warlord uses clever tactics to control the flow of war.

Key Abilities: Constitution, Intelligence and Charisma. Intelligence to create complex strategies, Charisma to rally your allies and Constitution to take punishment.

Creating a Warlord___________________________________________ _________________
When you create a character whose first class is a warlord, you gain these benefits.
Ability Adjustment: +1 to your Constitution, Intelligence or Charisma score
Starting Hit Points: 8+your Constitution modifier
Armor and Shield Proficiencies: All armor and shields
Weapon Proficiencies: All weapons

You can make a warlord quickly by following there suggestions. Your command style has suggestions for your starting equipment.
Suggested Background: Soldier
Suggested Specialty: Guardian

The Warlord

{table=head]Level|Hit Dice|Weapon Attack|Tactic Dice|Inspire|Class Features
1|1d8|+3|1d6|0|Tactical Superiority, Command Style
2|2d8|+3|1d6|1|Inspire (1d8), Reputation
3|3d8|+3|1d6|1|Command Style
4|4d8|+4|2d6|2|-
5|5d8|+4|2d6|2|Command Style, Inspire (2d8)[/table]

Class Features__________________________________________ __________________
A warlord gains the following class features.
Hit Dice: 1d8 per warlord level
Hit Points: 1d8 (or 5)+ your Constitution modifier per warlord level gained

Level 1: Tactical Superiority
Your extensive tactical training makes you a genius on the battlefield. Your demonstrate your strategic expertise in the way you can command your allies on the battlefield as you lead the charge of battle. These tactics are represented by dice and maneuvers that you can use in battle.
Benefit: You gain a single tactics die, a d6. You can spend a tactics die to use a combat maneuver that you have mastered. A maneuver involves either rolling the die or simply expending it.
You must be able to take actions to spend a tactics die. At the start of each or your turns, you regain all of your spent tactics dice. As you gain levels you gain additional die, and the size of your die increases, as noted on the Warlord table.
At 1st level, you have mastered the Invigorate and Protect combat maneuvers. Your command style gives you additional maneuvers to use with your tactics dice.

Level 1: Command Style
Warlords are well versed in the art of war, but most have a unique style of warfare that they favor above others. Your command style is composed of things like defensive maneuvers, attack coordination, combat positioning and technical assistance.
Benefit: Choose a command style. Four options are provided here: Coordinator, Leader, Commander and Mastermind. At specific levels, your chosen style gives you new combat maneuvers that you have mastered.

Coordinator
Your command style is distant and full of scope. You remain outside direct battle so that you may focus on the whole picture focusing on warning your allies and timing ranged attacks.
Suggested Equipment: Ringmail, Battleaxe, Light Crossbow, Crossbow bolts (20), Adventurer's kit, Healer's Kit, 29 gp
Level Combat Maneuver
1- Evade
3- Together!
5- Look Out!

Leader
Your command style is by example. You do not remain in the back but rather charge in on the front lines. You are adapt at defending yourself and others and inspire your allies to find strength and fight alongside you.
Suggested Equipment: Ringmail, Shield, Longsword, Light Crossbow, Crossbow bolts (20), Adventurer's kit, Healer's Kit, 14 gp
Level Combat Maneuver
1- Parry
3- With Me!
5- Be Strong!

Commander
Your command style is tough and uncompromising, hardened by years of watching friends and ally's fall all around you. You take no chances and give no openings, knocking down enemies before they knock one of yours. Your followers see your hardened style but also a deeper caring behind it and can tell from your actions how hard your trying to protect them.
Suggested Equipment: Ringmail, Shield, Warhammer, Light Crossbow, Crossbow bolts (20), Adventurer's kit, Healer's Kit, 14 gp
Level Combat Maneuver
1- Push
3- Knock Down
5- Fight Back!

Mastermind
Your command style is meticulous and observant. You watch each battle closely knowing every foe has it's weakness. You assist your allies in to exploiting these weaknesses and overcome each battle leading the foes you leave behind to almost believe you must be clairvoyant.
Suggested Equipment: Ringmail, Shield, Javelin (10), Ink, Ink pen, Paper (10 sheets), Adventurer's kit, Healer's Kit, 30 gp, 9 sp, and 8 cp
Level Combat Maneuver
1- Distract
3- Direct
5- Weak Spot!

Level 2: Inspire
Through experience and trial you have gained the composure and knowledge to truly raise the spirits of those that have fought alongside you. In return, that bond has created trust in you that can overcome most of life's obstacles.
Benefit: Once per day as an action, you can Inspire (a non-magical effect). When you do all friendly creature that can hear you within 30 feet regains hit points equal to 1d8 + a modifier identical to your reputation. As you gain levels you can Inspire more times each day (see the Warlord table). In addition, the amount of healing increases as you gain levels. At 5th level, it becomes 2d8+ modifier.

Level 2: Reputation
Your victories on the battlefield have begun to spread, and those that hear of your name also recognize the title that comes with it.
Benefit: You choose a reputation associated with an ability score of your choice. Three are provided here: Stalwart(Con), Prodigy(Int) and Heroic(Cha).
Each reputation grants you advantages to certain situations, as well as extra abilities as you level.

Stalwart
The stalwart reputation is one of reliability and perseverance. Those who have heard of you know you are tough and unyielding, having been through many brutal battles and survived through sheer force of will.
Level 2: You gain training in Intimidate as a skill and once a day you may gain advantage in it. If you are already trained in Intimidate you may pick another skill to gain training in but the advantage still only applies to Intimidate. In addition the modifier used in your Inspire ability is Constitution.
Level 4: As an action, you can sacrifice a use of your Inspire to create a feeling of hopelessness against your foe's. Until the end of your next turn each foe within 30 ft of you has disadvantage to their attack.

Prodigy
The prodigy reputation is one of ingenuity and manipulation. Word of your keen tactical mind and strategic brilliance has traveled wide. You are known as a natural genius and are quickly ascending to the history books as one of the most brilliant tacticians to ever have lived. Those who have heard of you would be well to head your advice.
Level 2: You gain training in Diplomacy as a skill and once a day you may gain advantage in it. If you are already trained in Diplomacy you may pick another skill to gain training in but the advantage still only applies to Diplomacy. In addition the modifier used in your Inspire ability is Intelligence.
Level 4: As an action, you can sacrifice a use of your Inspire to enact a complex strategy. You gain one additional reaction this round.

Heroic
The Heroic reputation is one of Valor and Prestige. Your shining example of leadership coupled with the loyalty you inspire from your friends and ally's has already created an iconic image of you as an exemplar of martial expertise. Those who have heard of you hang on your every word.
Level 2: You gain training in Bluff as a skill and once a day you may gain advantage in it. If you are already trained in Bluff you may pick another skill to gain training in but the advantage still only applies to Bluff. In addition the modifier used in your Inspire ability is Charisma.
Level 4: As an action, you can sacrifice a use of your Inspire to lead your group to victory. Until the end of your next turn allies within 30 feet of you gain a bonus to damage equal to 1d8+ your Charisma modifier. Roll the die once upon using this ability and Ally's add on that much to successful attacks they deal that round.

Combat Maneuvers_________________________________________ ___________________

Be Strong!
An encouraging cheer can help an ally struggle against fatigue or find strength even they never knew they had.
Benefit: When an ally (or allies) are targeted by an effect that has them roll a Strength or Constitution save you may, as a reaction, spend tactic dice to grant them advantage to the save. You must expend tactic dice equal to the number of allies you target with this maneuver.

Direct
You can advise nearby allies, helping them focus their efforts on moving into safer spots.
Benefit: When an ally within 30 ft takes an action to make an attack, you can spend a single tactics die to move that Ally up to 10 feet before or after the attack. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Distract
You can draw a enemies attention toward you while an ally attacks from behind.
Benefit: Once per turn when an ally moves into an adjacent space to a hostile it was not engaged with at the beginning of their turn, you may spend a single tactics die to grant that ally an advantage on their attack.

Evade
You can direct your allies away from the strikes of your enemies.
Benefit: During an allies move, as a reaction, you can spend a single tactics die to allow a friendly target within 30 ft to move through the spaces of hostile creatures without provoking AoO.

Fight Back!
A firm voice can reach deep within, stirring the mind of an ally and awaken them to snap out of a daze.
Benefit: When an ally (or allies) are targeted by an effect that has them roll a Wisdom or Charisma save you may, as a reaction, spend tactic dice to grant them advantage to the save. You must expend etactic dice equal to the number of allies you target with this maneuver.

Invigorate
You can rally your allies convincing them to push through the pain and finish the fight.
Benefit: During your move you can spend tactics die to grant an ally within 30 ft temporary hit points lasting a number of rounds equal to 3+ your Charisma modifier. Roll any tactics die you spend in this way to determine the number of hit points gained. These hit points cannot exceed the targets maximum hit points.

Knock Down
The force of a blow, whether from an axe or arrow, in just the right spot can cause a creature to stagger and fall.
Benefit: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack and that creature is no more than one size category larger than you, you can spend a single tactics die to also knock that creature prone.

Look Out!
A timely warning can help a foe adapt a more nimble stance and avoid danger.
Benefit: When an ally (or allies) are targeted by an effect that has them roll a Dexterity or Intelligence save you may, as a reaction, spend tactic dice to grant them advantage to the save. You must expend tactic dice equal to the number of allies you target with this maneuver.

Parry
You can use your weapon or shield to turn aside an attack, reducing it's impact on you.
Benefit: When you are damaged by an attack while you are wielding a weapon or a shield, you can spend tactics dice to reduce the damage. Roll any tactics die you spend in this way, and subtract it's result from the damage against you. If the damage drops to 0 or lower, you are still subject to any other effects of the attack.

Protect
By splitting your attention between your opponents and your allies, you can intervene with a weapon or a shield when one or your friends would be harmed.
Benefit: When a creature next to you takes damage from an attack while you are wielding a weapon or a shield, you can spend tactics dice as a reaction to reduce the damage. Roll any tactics die you spend in this way, and subtract the result from the damage against the creature. If the damage drops to 0 or lower, the creature is still subject to any other effects of the attack.

Push
As your strike with a weapon, you can use a combination of your attack's precision and the leverage of your strike to drive a target back.
Benefit: When your hit a creature with a melee weapon attack and that creature is no more than one size category larger than you, you can spend a single tactics die to push that creature up to 10 feet away from you.

Together!
You and your ally can coordinate a precision strike against an unfortunate foe
Benefit: When you hit a creature with a ranged attack you may spend a single tactics die to grant an ally within 30 feet, who is currently capable of making a ranged attack, a free attack against that same creature.

Weak Spot!
You notice a vulnerable area on the foe and can announce it to a nearby ally allowing for a deadlier strike.
Benefit: When an ally within 30 ft hit's a creature with an attack you may spend tactics die to add to the attack's damage. Roll any tactics die you spend in this way, and add its result to the damage. If the attack is a critical hit, maximize the expertise die.

With Me!
You and your ally can time your attacks to overwhelm a surrounded foe.
Benefit: When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack you may spend a single tactics die to grant an ally adjacent to that creature a free attack against that creature.

Ziegander
2012-09-06, 08:18 AM
This is actually quite good. I expected a Warlord with Combat Superiority, but I am pleasantly surprised. It uses mechanics very similar to the Fighter's feature, but in a unique way.

Prophet_of_Io
2012-09-06, 05:51 PM
Thanks. One thing i didn't put in but considered was changing the Warlords Protect and Parry so that Parry is now a Reaction and Protect functions like the Fighters Parry. The Fighter protects himself, the Warlord protects others. But I didn't want to change existing Maneuvers.

Healing is what I wanted the most feedback on.

Currently at level 1 he has at/will healing in combat, but it's only temporary. At level 2 he get's Mass healing 1d8 which is a lot at level 2 but the Cleric (using Channel Divinity and all spell slots) can heal up to 3/day individually at level 1 and 4/day individually at level 4. So basically they can heal the same amount of people a day but Warlords have to do it all at once and Clerics an go one at a time when needed. This example is using a standard party of 4.

By level 5 we see the Warlord can heal 2/day mass at 2d8. So using the same party that's 8 heals max, each person twice a day. The Cleric now has 8 also (3 at 1d8, 5 at 2d8 and 1 at 3d8). So it's more varied and individual but the Warlord still has at/will temp heals.

I think it works but I was really looking for some outside feedback.

Ziegander
2012-09-06, 08:32 PM
Currently at level 1 he has at/will healing in combat, but it's only temporary. At level 2 he get's Mass healing 1d8 which is a lot at level 2 but the Cleric (using Channel Divinity and all spell slots) can heal up to 3/day individually at level 1 and 4/day individually at level 4. So basically they can heal the same amount of people a day but Warlords have to do it all at once and Clerics an go one at a time when needed. This example is using a standard party of 4.

By level 5 we see the Warlord can heal 2/day mass at 2d8. So using the same party that's 8 heals max, each person twice a day. The Cleric now has 8 also (3 at 1d8, 5 at 2d8 and 1 at 3d8). So it's more varied and individual but the Warlord still has at/will temp heals.

I think it works but I was really looking for some outside feedback.

Well, I think that's a bit of a problem you run into there, especially because the Warlord doesn't just heal Xd8 per day, he heals Xd8 + modifier once or twice per day to the whole group. Basically your design breaks even with the Cleric sometimes, but most of the time, especially in terms of action economy, your Warlord heals better than the Cleric. Which is only a problem in the resonance with the D&D community, not necessarily mechanically speaking. Though that is still a fairly large problem.

As your Warlord design fights as well as a Fighter, just in a different way from the Fighter, I think you need to tone things down somewhere. You may want to lose the at/will temp heals to start off with. Perhaps make that only a few times per day. You also will probably want to tone down the Marshal's actual hit point healing to the party, depending on how Mearls and crew move forward with Cleric healing.

Personally, I hope that they will eventually realize that healing FAR less than damage-dealing spells for the same action is mechanically inadmissable, and raise the amount of healing Cleric spells do. If this happens, the rate at which the Marshall heals is TOTALLY fine. But until that happens, you are, at the moment, a bit out of whack with D&D NEXT design philosophy. Unfortunately we have daily spells that occupy the same space, some that damage enemies for 4d6 + modifier, some that heal allies for 1d8 + modifier, and that are presented, inconceivably, as being equal. WTF. This is the same problem D&D healing has had for decades and the design and development teams still don't understand that people don't like being healers not because it's boring (that's what they think), but because it is mechanically unviable (the fact).

Prophet_of_Io
2012-09-06, 08:38 PM
Well, I think that's a bit of a problem you run into there, especially because the Warlord doesn't just heal Xd8 per day, he heals Xd8 + modifier once or twice per day to the whole group. Basically your design breaks even with the Cleric sometimes, but most of the time, especially in terms of action economy, your Warlord heals better than the Cleric. Which is only a problem in the resonance with the D&D community, not necessarily mechanically speaking. Though that is still a fairly large problem.

As your Warlord design fights as well as a Fighter, just in a different way from the Fighter, I think you need to tone things down somewhere. You may want to lose the at/will temp heals to start off with. Perhaps make that only a few times per day. You also will probably want to tone down the Marshal's actual hit point healing to the party, depending on how Mearls and crew move forward with Cleric healing.

Personally, I hope that they will eventually realize that healing FAR less than damage-dealing spells for the same action is mechanically inadmissable, and raise the amount of healing Cleric spells do. If this happens, the rate at which the Marshall heals is TOTALLY fine. But until that happens, you are, at the moment, a bit out of whack with D&D NEXT design philosophy. Unfortunately we have daily spells that occupy the same space, some that damage enemies for 4d6 + modifier, some that heal allies for 1d8 + modifier, and that are presented, inconceivably, as being equal. WTF. This is the same problem D&D healing has had for decades and the design and development teams still don't understand that people don't like being healers not because it's boring (that's what they think), but because it is mechanically unviable (the fact).

Yeah, Healing this time around seems toned down, but the Healing Specialty seems overpowered. It's a whole lot.

Right now I actually think the Cleric heals better. Yes Mass heal at level 2 is big but if the Fighter is at -5 but the rest of the party is fine than the Warlord wastes his Mass Heal. The Cleric can heal individually and use spell slots to make up for extra healing.

What would you suggest in place of "Invigorate" the Warlord maneuver that grants temp healing?

Yakk
2012-09-10, 12:45 PM
A lot of those are broken strong. Burn 1 tactics die to grant a free attack? Burn 1 tactics die to grant advantage?

Apropos
2012-09-10, 07:37 PM
I don't know... I feel like it is too similar to the fighter. I mean, strategically it will end up doing different things, but it has exactly the same mechanic. The classes in D&D Next all seem to have completely different and innovative mechanics but your Warlord is just a fighter with ally buffs.

EDIT: Sorry I didnt the part of your post about the devs saying that the Warlord would be using the Fighter mechanic. That is somewhat disappointing, though.

Prophet_of_Io
2012-09-11, 01:59 AM
Yakk- The 4e Warlord granted his ally's a free attack along with his own as an at-will, so I didn't think this one would be a problem. I can see Distract being a bit OP though, especially since Sneak Attack is so high. But these are all things that people said they wanted to see in the Warlord. What would you suggest is better for Distract: Forces targeted NPC's to attack you or Add more Dice to spend on it?

Apropos- Yeah the Dev's hinted at the same mechanic which I think is fine if used for different things. Combat Superiority is already Tactic Oriented, I think it fits the Warlord nicely. I wouldn't want to see if overused, but Fighters using it for Brawling and Warlords using something similar for Buffing wouldn't be bad if you ask me. That's not to say any of this is set in stone. The Warlord could be completely different, this is just a build I tried out with that in mind.

Surrealistik
2012-09-25, 10:48 AM
Yakk- The 4e Warlord granted his ally's a free attack along with his own as an at-will,

Wait what?

Which attack did that as an at-will?