PDA

View Full Version : Your Mission should you choose....

Kyberwulf
2012-09-06, 11:28 PM
I am watching the Mission Impossible movies. I am wondering what the playgrounders think of the series.
I am not really interested in hearing people rag on Tom Cruise lol. I am moe wondering about what people think about the movies themselves, and how they compare to the Old Tv Series. In your opinions.

Fri
2012-09-07, 12:47 AM
I used to watch both mission impossible series as a kid, and I used to love it so much. I only watched the first mission impossible movie, and I never thought of it as a proper mission impossible mission and I didn't think it captured the feel of the series well.

Mostly because of that movie having jim phelps as the villain. It's like having batman movie and having alfred or jim gordon as the villain or something. And the 'feel' of the tv series... Mission impossible the series is always about a team of people with clearly different specialties and how they combine their specialties to make a perfect heist. The movie has this lack of specialties for each members thingy, this lack of clockwork precision between team members thing. In my opinion, Ocean 11 is the better mission impossible movie.

MLai
2012-09-07, 01:53 AM
None of the movies are anything like the TV show. In general, the show is about a team using high-tech gadgetry that are almost like magic tricks, to fool the bad guys into foiling themselves. The movies are about Tom being an action hero, and using high-tech gadgetry sometimes. Yeah, he has a team, but they're more like sidekicks.

The movies are still fun, but you shouldn't watch them expecting the TV MI show.

My rating of the movies by themselves:
Movie #3 = Best.
Movie #2 = 2nd best.
Movies #1, #4 = Tied for last place.

Mystic Muse
2012-09-07, 02:10 AM
I watched Ghost Protocol some time ago with my mom and dad.

If they hadn't been at the theater with me, I'd have walked out and gone home.

I haven't seen the other movies, so that probably doesn't help, but I just...didn't really care at all.

Fri
2012-09-07, 02:31 AM
None of the movies are anything like the TV show. In general, the show is about a team using high-tech gadgetry that are almost like magic tricks, to fool the bad guys into foiling themselves. The movies are about Tom being an action hero, and using high-tech gadgetry sometimes. Yeah, he has a team, but they're more like sidekicks.

The movies are still fun, but you shouldn't watch them expecting the TV MI show.

Yeah, you described it better than me.

Kitten Champion
2012-09-07, 03:56 AM
There was a lot of critical praise for the first Mission Impossible, I found it meandering and boring but for the famous infiltration scene.

The second was just a John Woo action flick, which is fine. I was kind of sick of the doves flying everywhere, but it was mindless summer fun.

The third one was intriguing, and reminded me of the Jason Bourne series or the newest Bond movie. It's the only one I would truly recommend for having both a plot and action.

The 4th MI was enormously disappointing, at least for me. It felt like a mediocre television show with an extraordinary budget.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-09-07, 04:12 AM
Fri and MLai have pretty much nailed it...

It's a shame - if they had just released it as an action film in its own right it would have been good. But trying to base it to the old MI series was not a good idea.

There are a lot of films I have this problem with. As films on their own they are good if not brilliant. As adaptations they suck.

DigoDragon
2012-09-07, 05:56 AM
I've only watched the first and second movies. The first one was confusing for me, so I didn't follow along much and ended up not enjoying my time. The second one was a pretty good action flick and I'll give it a thumbs up.

MLai
2012-09-07, 06:07 AM
@ Fri:
Actually I wrote my post before you, and the forum ate it. Then I found you already typed something very similar to what I originally wrote. I even shortened my re-post to be not too redundant... but I can't just not repost and let the forum-eater have the last laugh!

@ Kitten:
If every single movie in the series is like #3, I'd be recommending the series to everyone.
This series actually meanders all over in tone, theme, and overall style. Except for having a few characters in common, it doesn't feel like a series at all. I agree with your assessment of all 4 movies.

Climax of 4th movie: Tom Cruise fighting with an out-of-shape old man in a gray suit, with a head full of gray hair who is pushing 70. Tom had to fight harder than when he fought a trained assassin in movie #2. It went on for like 10 minutes. I am not exaggerating.