View Full Version : New Meldshape: Mask of the Faceless

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-07, 03:45 PM
Mask of the Faceless
Descriptors: none
Classes: Incarnate
Chakra: Crown, Brow or Soul
Saving Throw: none

What, that guy? He was... umm... well, about average size, I guess... might've been a girl, now that I think about it... and... umm... well... I didn't think much of him at the time.

Few are popular, but many are just the nameless masses. When you shape this soulmeld, you create your own Someone Else's Problem Field, drawing upon the force of willful ignorance, and encourage people to overlook you.

While you have Mask of the Faceless shaped, you gain a +2 Insight bonus to Hide and Disguise checks made to 'blend in' with a crowd.

Essentia: For every essentia invested, this bonus increases by +2

Chakra Bind (Crown):

a white porcelain mask settles onto your face, obscuring your identity

Nondetection, DC 10 + essentia invested + Meldshaper level

Chakra Bind (Brow):

Your mind is as difficult to discover as your identity, making it impossible to affect

Immunity to Mind Affecting effects.

Chakra Bind (Soul):

You have become the ghost within the system, the unknown, the question mark, the cypher. You have been truly forgotten

Mind Blank effect. Always on while shaped.

wayfare
2012-09-07, 05:32 PM
Mask of the Faceless

What, that guy? He was... umm... well, about average size, I guess... might've been a girl, now that I think about it... and... umm... well... I didn't think much of him at the time.

Few are popular, but many are just the nameless masses. When you shape this soulmeld, you create your own Someone Else's Problem Field, drawing upon the force of willful ignorance, and encourage people to overlook you.

While you have Mask of the Faceless shaped, you gain a +2 Insight bonus to Hide and Disguise checks made to 'blend in' with a crowd.

Chakra Bind (Crown):

Chakra Bind (Brow):

Your mind is as difficult to discover as your identity, making it impossible to affect

Chakra Bind (Soul):

You have become the ghost within the system, the unknown, the question mark, the cypher. You have been truly forgotten

Mechanically, very sound.

The Binds are a bit spot-on. It's a very natural progression, and it makes sense, but few soulmelds are that natural a progression. They usually have distinct effects, rather than extensions of previous abilities: hit harder with one bind, grapple better with a second, get the ability to make a trample attack with the third.

That said, I am not trashing the design. Very simple, very intuitive. A nice boost to incarnum users.

Amnoriath
2012-09-07, 09:55 PM
Mask of the Faceless

Chakra Bind (Crown):

Chakra Bind (Brow):

Chakra Bind (Soul):

You made a nerfed Enigma helm except for its skill bonuses and soul bind.
Have you thought about maybe making a base disguise self except it isn't illusory and maybe Alter self for a brow?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-08, 09:57 PM
You made a nerfed Enigma helm except for its skill bonuses and soul bind.
Have you thought about maybe making a base disguise self except it isn't illusory and maybe Alter self for a brow?

Enigma Helm doesn't grant MindBlank...

I was thinking about modifying it, but I don't think that's really a direction to go with it.

Amnoriath
2012-09-08, 10:32 PM
Enigma Helm doesn't grant MindBlank...

I was thinking about modifying it, but I don't think that's really a direction to go with it.

I did say except for the skill bonuses and soul bind. Either way it seems too similar to me to validate a different soulmeld on the same list. It would be easier to give the soul bind to the enigma helm.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-09-09, 07:35 PM
I did say except for the skill bonuses and soul bind. Either way it seems too similar to me to validate a different soulmeld on the same list. It would be easier to give the soul bind to the enigma helm.

Enigma Helm also doesn't grant Immunity to Mind Affecting as a Brow bind. That's a rather necessary immunity, and Brow is available from level 9. Meaning you don't have to wait until level 19 for it. No other bind grants blanket immunity to mind-affecting. That is really the crux of the bind, the nondetection is merely to keep the bind relevant at lower levels.

Furthermore, check the DC numbers again. You seem to have made a slight miscalculation.