PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Warlock Invocation Feats and Enlightened spirit PRC Homebrew (PEACH)

only1doug
2012-09-10, 08:48 AM
Floating Invocation Feat Chain:
These feats are designed to give the warlock some much needed versatility, by having one Invocation of each grade be changeable (on a daily basis).

Floating Invocation (Least)
Prerequisite: Access to Least Invocations, Invoker Level 3 or Higher, 2 Least Invocations.
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Least Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Least Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. This Feat may only be taken once.

Floating Invocation (Lesser)
Prerequisite: Access to Lesser Invocations, Floating Invocation (Least)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Lesser Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Lesser Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period. This Feat may only be taken once.

Floating Invocation (Greater)
Prerequisite: Access to Greater Invocations, Floating Invocation (Lesser)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Greater Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Greater Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period. This Feat may only be taken once.

Floating Invocation (Dark)
Prerequisite: Access to Dark Invocations, Floating Invocation (Greater)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Dark Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Dark Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period. This Feat may only be taken once.

Original un-edited version

Floating Invocation (Least)
Prerequisite: Access to Least Invocations
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Least Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Least Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep.

Floating Invocation (Lesser)
Prerequisite: Access to Lesser Invocations, Floating Invocation (Least)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Lesser Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Lesser Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period.

Floating Invocation (Greater)
Prerequisite: Access to Greater Invocations, Floating Invocation (Lesser)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Greater Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Greater Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period.

Floating Invocation (Dark)
Prerequisite: Access to Lesser Invocations, Floating Invocation (Greater)
Benefit: Choose one of your existing Dark Invocations, This is now changeable on a daily basis: once every 24hrs you may change your Floating Invocation to a different Dark Invocation. This process takes 1hr and can only be done after getting a good nights sleep. You can change any or all of your Floating Invocations during the same time period.

Enlightened Spirits:
The biggest problem with this PRC is that it doesn't advance your Invocation Level for warlock invocations if you continue with warlock after leaving this class.

Homebrew Solution: the following line of Text should be added to the Enlightened spirit class:

Enlightened Spirits who return to the warlock class may add their Enlightened Spirit class levels to their Warlock class levels for the purposes of determining the maximum grade of Invocation known.

Deviston
2012-09-11, 06:48 AM
I would say no Darks, and you can only make a invocation floating up to one grade lower than the highest you invoke. I.E. when you gain access to lessers, you can take the feat for leasts. Oh, and "This feat does not stack, you cannot take it more than once."

If they were for Pathfinder, I would say the same except "This feat may be taken multiple times, each time you must select a different invocation slot up to one grade lower than the highest you invoke."

Edit: With your feat as written, if you are willing to use all your feats, you can have a LOT of changables. Not just one per grade.

Garryl
2012-09-11, 02:07 PM
I would say no Darks, and you can only make a invocation floating up to one grade lower than the highest you invoke. I.E. when you gain access to lessers, you can take the feat for leasts. Oh, and "This feat does not stack, you cannot take it more than once."

If they were for Pathfinder, I would say the same except "This feat may be taken multiple times, each time you must select a different invocation slot up to one grade lower than the highest you invoke."

Edit: With your feat as written, if you are willing to use all your feats, you can have a LOT of changables. Not just one per grade.

Feats don't stack with themselves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#featDescriptions) (if you somehow get one multiple times) by default.

I guess the nearest comparison among feats would be the Extra Invocation feat, which only gives a new invocation of one grade lower than your maximum. With these feats (and discounting the difference in invocation grade), you have one fewer invocation at any time, but get to reselect one every day. That's a very good and very useful amount of versatility. However, unlike Extra Invocation, you do have to ladder your way up to the highest grade invocations (Dark Floating Invocation can only be taken at level 18 after 3 prior feats, for example, assuming you fix the prerequisites to more than Lesser invocations), which seems a reasonable cost for the effect. Shifting around your least invocation(s) with a a single feat might be a bit much on single level dip, so maybe you should have a small other requirement (say, Caster Level 3rd) so it isn't quite as easy to jump into the invocation pool.

Deviston
2012-09-11, 02:27 PM
Feats don't stack, I knew that.. but for some reason didn't when I typed up my reply. Herp derp.

I'm not sure I understand this line
"you have one fewer invocation at any time"
Your feats don't state you lose an invocation. So I'm a little confused.

I would agree, Least Feat Pre: Any two Least Invocations and eldritch blast damage 2d6.

Makes it for certain warlock level 3, or some higher level PRC combo.
That being said... I vote "balanced". You made a good point with the ladder effect, so I can see that. Well done :)

Garryl
2012-09-11, 03:39 PM
The "one fewer invocation" bit was in comparison to taking Extra Invocation instead (which grants you one more invocation than you would have by taking one of these feats instead).

I'd recommend a more general requirement than Eldritch Blast damage. It's a good thing that these feats are available to Dragonfire Adepts and the various homebrew invoking classes. Needing two least invocations to begin with is a good idea, and helps reduce any inappropriate interactions with invoking classes that are intentionally strongly restricted in their invocations known (such as that Dragon Shaman Variant that gets a couple of DFA invocations).

Deviston
2012-09-11, 04:08 PM
I forgot about other classes and invoking.

How about 2 least invocations, CL 3 in any one invoking class.

only1doug
2012-09-12, 09:42 AM

I did intend it to be limited to one per grade, I'll edit for clarity.

Feats don't stack with themselves (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#featDescriptions) (if you somehow get one multiple times) by default.

I guess the nearest comparison among feats would be the Extra Invocation feat, which only gives a new invocation of one grade lower than your maximum. With these feats (and discounting the difference in invocation grade), you have one fewer invocation at any time, but get to reselect one every day. That's a very good and very useful amount of versatility. However, unlike Extra Invocation, you do have to ladder your way up to the highest grade invocations (Dark Floating Invocation can only be taken at level 18 after 3 prior feats, for example, assuming you fix the prerequisites to more than Lesser invocations), which seems a reasonable cost for the effect. Shifting around your least invocation(s) with a a single feat might be a bit much on single level dip, so maybe you should have a small other requirement (say, Caster Level 3rd) so it isn't quite as easy to jump into the invocation pool.

Yes the pre-requisite should have been Dark invocations, Copy-paste correct oversite there.

Feats don't stack, I knew that.. but for some reason didn't when I typed up my reply. Herp derp.

I'm not sure I understand this line
"you have one fewer invocation at any time"
Your feats don't state you lose an invocation. So I'm a little confused.

I would agree, Least Feat Pre: Any two Least Invocations and eldritch blast damage 2d6.

Makes it for certain warlock level 3, or some higher level PRC combo.
That being said... I vote "balanced". You made a good point with the ladder effect, so I can see that. Well done :)

The "one fewer invocation" bit was in comparison to taking Extra Invocation instead (which grants you one more invocation than you would have by taking one of these feats instead).

I'd recommend a more general requirement than Eldritch Blast damage. It's a good thing that these feats are available to Dragonfire Adepts and the various homebrew invoking classes. Needing two least invocations to begin with is a good idea, and helps reduce any inappropriate interactions with invoking classes that are intentionally strongly restricted in their invocations known (such as that Dragon Shaman Variant that gets a couple of DFA invocations).

Yes, I think this is appropriate, I'll amend it to this.

I forgot about other classes and invoking.

How about 2 least invocations, CL 3 in any one invoking class.

Agreed.

Original Post now edited to this version. Thank you all for your feedback and any further feedback will also be welcome.

Edit:

I dislike the idea of limiting the floating Invocations to the grade below, partially because this restricts the utility quite severely and makes extra granted Invocation a better feat choice.

I created this post after talking my GM into allowing the feats for my L3 Warlock, I created the feats as I thought the idea of taking 2 levels of chameleon for a floating feat was a bit cheesy, this is better than a chameleon would get but more limited.

(Chameleon L2 gives a bonus feat that can be changed each day, using extra invocation feat you now have an invocation of one level lower than the maximum Invocation known. Use a crafting feat and your warlock can make anything at all (at L14))