PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] Master of Shrouds Base Class (PEACH)

iTookUrNick
2012-09-10, 09:58 AM
The Master of Shrouds is a prestige class from Libris Mortis specialized in summoning incorporeal undead. Unfortunately, its life span is quite limited, (usually from 4th to 13th level). I took the liberty of adapting the class into a base class that is viable for all 20 levels, enhancing with what I consider flavorful and useful, yet not game-shattering, class abilities.

{table=head]Level|Bab|Fort|Refl|Will|Class Features|0|1|2|3|4|5|6
1|0|0|0|2|Rebuke Undead (Su), Commanding Spirit (Su)|2|—|—|—|—|—|—
2|1|0|0|3|Darkvision (Ex)|3|0|—|—|—|—|—
3|1|1|1|3|Improved Familiar (Ghostly Visage)|3|1|—|—|—|—|—
4|2|1|1|4|Darkness Invocation (Sp)|3|2|0|—|—|—|—
5|2|1|1|4|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Shadow) (Sp)|3|3|1|—|—|—|—
6|3|2 |2|5|Spirit Enhancement I (Su)|3|3|2|—|—|—|—
7|3|2|2|5|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Wraith) (Sp)|3|3|2|0|—|—|—
8|4|2|2|6|Undead Mastery (Su)|3|3|3|1|—|—|—
9|4|3|3|6|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Spectre) (Sp)|3|3|3|2|—|—|—
10|5|3|3|7| Spirit Enhancement II (Su)|3|3|3|2|0|—|—
11|5|3|3|7|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Greater Shadow) (Sp)|3|3|3|3|1|—|—
12|6|4|4|8|Metamagic Ability (Su)|3|3|3|3|2|—|—
13|6|4|4|8|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Dread Wraith) (Sp)|3|3|3|3|2|0|—
14|7|4|4|9|Spirit Enhancement III (Su)|4|3|3|3|3|1|—
15|7|5|5|9|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Caserue) (Sp)|4|4|3|3|3|2|—
16|8|5|5|10|Aura of Desecration (Su)|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
17|8|5|5|10|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Deathshrieker) (Sp)|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
18|9|6|6|11|Spirit Enhancement IV (Su)|4|4|4|4|4|3|2
19|9|6|6|11|Summon Incorporeal Undead (Banshee) (Sp)|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
20|10|6|6|12|One with the Shadow (Su)|4|4|4|4|4|4|4 [/table]

BAB: Poor
Saves: Fort: poor; Refl: Poor; Will: Good
Spellcasting: divine spellcasting, cha-based, fixed spell list, progression as bard
Spell list: to be compiled. Assume for the moment a mix of Dread Necromancer and Standard Cleric necromancy. Animate dead @3rd, Create Greater undead @5th. No create undead.

Class features:
Rebuke Undead (Su): as the cleric class feature.
Commanding Spirit (Su): the master of shroud lose the ability to command corporeal undead (although you can still rebuke them). However, she ignores the turn resistance of incorporeal undead up to half your level in this class.
Darkvision (Ex): the master of shadows gains darkvision. If she already has darkvision, the range increases by 30 ft.
Improved Familiar (Ex): as the feat, except your familiar must be an incorporeal undead.
Darkness Invocation: as the Warlock invocation, usable at will. Class level equals caster level.
Summon Incorporeal Undead (Sp): As standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, you can spend a turn attempt to summon one incorporeal undead whose type depends on your level, as written on the table. You can choose to summon two undead of the lower level, four of two levels lower, or eight undead of any level below that. You cannot mix undead types with a single summoning. For all other purposes, the ability works as a Summon undead spell, with Caster Level equal to the master of Shrouds level + her Cha modifier.
Spirit Enhancement (Su): Starting from 6th level, incorporeal undead summoned or created with spells or special abilities gain bonuses that scale with class level. At 6th level, they gain +4 profane bonus to Dex and +2 turn resistance. At 10th, their deflection bons to AC increases by 2 and they gain 2 extra hp/HD. At 14th, they gain +2 resistance bonus to their saves. At 18th, the profane bonus to Dex becomes +6, their turn resistance increase to +4, their deflection AC and saves bonuses become 3.
Undead Mastery (Ex): as the Dread Necromancer Ability of the same name.
Metamagic Ability (Su): you can apply any metamagic feat you have to your Summon Incorporeal Undead ability by spending extra turn attempts equal to the level adjustment of the metamagic feat used. For example, if you have the Extend Spell feat you can summon undead for twice the usual duration by using two turn attempts.
Aura of Desecration (Su): the master of Shrouds is surrounded by a continuous aura of desecration, as the spell. Caster level equals class level.
One with the shadow (Su): the Master of Shadows fully embrace his art. As an immediate action, she can become [Incorporeal]. She looses her Str score, Armor and Natural Armor bonuses to AC (except force effects such as Mage Armor or the Bracers of Armor), but gains a deflection bonus to her AC equal to her Cha modifier (minimum 1). She can remain in this state indefinitely. Reverting back to normal is a free action. This ability does not function in bright light or within the area of a daylight spell.

Any thoughts? Balance issues? Abuses? Would you play it?

astrerouge
2012-09-10, 12:18 PM
I'm not a pro on balance but it seems good.
Maybe put a clause on the summoning ability to prevent multiple summoning at the same time and also tell how many times it can be used per day because right now it is at will,I don't know if it was your goal.

Anyway to me,it's good work and others will be able to give a better opinion on the power level.

Hope it helps!

Dante & Vergil
2012-09-10, 07:13 PM
I'm not a pro on balance but it seems good.
Maybe put a clause on the summoning ability to prevent multiple summoning at the same time and also tell how many times it can be used per day because right now it is at will,I don't know if it was your goal.

Anyway to me,it's good work and others will be able to give a better opinion on the power level.

Hope it helps!

You use turn attempts to fuel the 'Summons of this class.

astrerouge
2012-09-10, 07:27 PM
oh,my bad.
Sorry for that then.

iTookUrNick
2012-09-11, 04:03 PM
You use turn attempts to fuel the 'Summons of this class.

Indeed. Better than free stuff imho. Then again, if Nightsticks are allowed to stack with each other... there are much bigger issues than this one. :smallsmile:

Does it make sense to follow the bard spellcasting progression, with perhaps no create undead (she would not be able to control them anyway), animate dead @3 and create greater undead @6 spell level (7th and 16th level respectively), instead of going to 9th level spells?

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-24, 12:21 AM
Where exactly is the Caserue from? I haven't seen that undead anywhere and I am not sure what MM it is from.

Also love the class. In a campaign I am running I have one as a vampire mini boss. Well it was originally a mini boss until it destroyed 3/4 of the party and fled with their corpses. Now she is their boss until they break free somehow :smalltongue: Its a pretty well balanced class. Point of note though, spirit enchantment probably shouldn't be an enchantment bonus as it makes it no longer stack with corpse crafter (or undead mastery).

iTookUrNick
2012-09-24, 11:18 AM
Where exactly is the Caserue from? I haven't seen that undead anywhere and I am not sure what MM it is from.
Also love the class. In a campaign I am running I have one as a vampire mini boss. Well it was originally a mini boss until it destroyed 3/4 of the party and fled with their corpses. Now she is their boss until they break free somehow :smalltongue: Its a pretty well balanced class. Point of note though, spirit enchantment probably shouldn't be an enchantment bonus as it makes it no longer stack with corpse crafter (or undead mastery).

Typo. It's supposed to be a Casarua or something (even I can't find the reference again!). It is a really obscure monster from the Dungeon Compendium, and I would not had included it if not for the complete lack of other incorporeal undead choices at his CR (13). Still, it might be worthwhile (and easier) to just change it into a twice-evolved (Libris Mortis template) Dread Wraith. That would give it even a little versatility. Maybe more than a little, in fact. Perhaps someone should test this change :smallwink:
I would be interested in any feedback you can give me.

Good point about Undead Mastery, will change to profane (more appropriate anyway). Corpsecrafter, on the other hand, does very little for incorporeal undead since they lack a Str score (not to mention a corpse to craft), so i wouldn't worry about that.

Silva Stormrage
2012-09-24, 01:56 PM
Typo. It's supposed to be a Casarua or something (even I can't find the reference again!). It is a really obscure monster from the Dungeon Compendium, and I would not had included it if not for the complete lack of other incorporeal undead choices at his CR (13). Still, it might be worthwhile (and easier) to just change it into a twice-evolved (Libris Mortis template) Dread Wraith. That would give it even a little versatility. Maybe more than a little, in fact. Perhaps someone should test this change :smallwink:
I would be interested in any feedback you can give me.

Good point about Undead Mastery, will change to profane (more appropriate anyway). Corpsecrafter, on the other hand, does very little for incorporeal undead since they lack a Str score (not to mention a corpse to craft), so i wouldn't worry about that.

You know its interesting. I never noticed that Corpse Crafter only gives an enchantment bonus to strength. I always thought it gave a bonus to strength and dexterity :smalleek: Weird.

Giegue
2012-09-24, 02:56 PM
This class looks good, but I'm wondering a few things. What is the class skills and skill points-per level of this class? Also, I don't see what it's hit die is either. Spell lists taking time I can understand, but I'd like to be able to play this class myself and sadly without it's hit dice, class skills and skill points per-level it can't be played.

Oh, also, if you need help with the spell list, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm always glad to help.