PDA

View Full Version : Divine Champion (Pathfinder PrC) PEACH

Relecs
2012-09-10, 02:46 PM
Divine Champion

Role:

Alignment: A Divine Champion's alignment must be within one step of his deity's along either the law/chaos axis or the good/evil axis (see Chapter 7, Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook)

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Divine Champion, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus: +6.

Feats: Power Attack, MELEE FEAT NEEDED, Weapon Focus (Any Two-handed Weapon).

Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level divine spells.

Class Skills
The divine champion's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level |Base Attack Bonus |Fort Save |Ref Save |Will Save |Special |Spells

1st|
+1|
+1|
+0|
+1|Enhance Weapon (Magic)| -

2nd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+1|Imbue Weapon|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+2|
+1|
+2|Enhance Weapon (Elemental)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+2|
+1|
+2|ABILITY NEEDED|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+3|
+2|
+3|Enhance Weapon (ABILITY NEEDED)|-

6th|
+6|
+3|
+2|
+3|ABILITY NEEDED|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+4|
+2|
+4|Enhance Weapon (Elemental Burst)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+8|
+4|
+3|
+4|ABILITY NEEDED|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+5|
+3|
+5|Enhance Weapon (Aligned)|-

10th|
+10|
+5|
+3|
+5|ABILITY NEEDED|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the divine champion prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A divine champion is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields) Divine champions are also proficient with the favoured weapon of their deity.

Spells per Day: At the indicated levels, a divine champion gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional spells per day, spells known (if he is a spontaneous spellcaster), and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming an arcane archer, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Enhance Weapon(Su): At 1st level, a single weapon which a divine champion wields becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the champion need not spend gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, a champion's magic weapons only function for him.

In addition, the divine champion's weapon gain a number of additional qualities as he gains additional levels. The elemental, elemental burst, and aligned qualities can be changed once per day, when the divine champion prepares spells or, in the case of spontaneous spellcasters, after 8 hours of rest.

At 3rd level, one weapon wielded by a divine champion gains one of the following elemental themed weapon qualities: flaming, frost, or shock.

At 5th level, one weapon wielded by the divine champion gain the ABILITY NEEDED quality.

At 7th level, one weapon wielded by the divine champion gains one of the following elemental burst weapon qualities: flaming burst, icy burst, or shocking burst. This ability replaces the ability gained at 3rd level.

At 9th level, one weapon wielded by the divine champion gains one of the following aligned weapon qualities: anarchic, axiomatic, holy, or unholy. The divine champion cannot choose an ability that is the opposite of his deity's alignment (for example, a divine champion of a lawful good god could not choose anarchic or unholy as his weapon quality).

The bonuses granted by a magic weapon apply as normal to weapons that are enhanced with this ability. Only the larger enhancement bonus applies. Duplicate abilities do not stack.

Imbue Weapon (Sp): At 2nd level, a divine champion gains the ability to place any spell upon his weapon which has a single target (one creature touched, one person, etc.) , when the weapon is used the spell activates on the target struck. A spell cast in this way uses its standard casting time and the divine champion can make a melee attack as part of the casting. The weapon must be used during the round that the casting is completed or the spell is wasted. If the attack misses, the spell is wasted.

This is still a work in progress I plan to add to it later today, the basic premise is a divine melee version of the arcane archer. If anyone has any initial thoughts please post and let me know.

The sections labeled ABILITY NEEDED are as follows

an ability balanced with the arcane archer's seeker arrow

a single melee weapon enchantment balanced with the distance enchantment on a bow.

an ability balanced with the arcane archers phase arrow

an ability balanced with the arcane archers hail of arrows

an appropriate capstone ability balanced with the arcane archer's arrow of death

Any comments, criticisms or suggestions towards the prestige class would be appreciated.

Help me Playground, you're my only hope!

Relecs

Waargh!
2012-09-10, 11:08 PM
Since it makes sense to you deity favored weapon, isn't two handed weapon restrictive?

Idea on feat: Improved critical
Idea of missing enhanced weapon: keen

Idea on class features (hard to mimic arcane's archer abilities)

lvl 4: "In the name of <deity name>" (EX) [at-will]: you fly in the heat of the battle with divine zeal. As part of a charge attack you may imbue your weapon with a single touch spell that has a casting time of a full-round or less (see Imbue weapon for more details). You gain +2 morale bonus on this attack. Allies within 60ft of the target gain also a +2 morale bonus on their next melee attack role against the target (regardless if charge attack hits or misses).

lvl 6: Divine gifts: you may choose one magical item per 5 levels. As long as this item is worn by you it cannot be sundered or dispelled. Any spell or spell-like effect that targets or damages it automatically fails. You need to pray for 1 hour per day and choose specifically which items will be considered as gifts from your deity. Additionally, the same effects are also granted to any two handed weapon you wield as long as you have prayed and chosen your items for the day

lvl 8: Blind faith (SU) [1/encounter]: in the heat of the battle you perform the unthinkable. As a full-round action, you close your eyes and pray for guidance ignoring the mayhem around you. You are considered blinded until the beginning of your next turn. You may cast a single area spell as part of this action centered on you with a casting time of a full-round or less. You may choose the spell not to affect you. This spell is maximized.
Note: you cannot use blindsight or other abilities that would otherwise allow you to see.

lvl 10: Divine punishment (SU) [1/day]: a column of light falls upon you from the skies energizing your very body and soul. You gain +4 divine bonus on your attack role until the beginning of your next turn. Additionally, you can pick a target within 60t and perform a charge attack as a full-round action. You can pass through a space that is occupied by an enemy (without provoking AoO) but you need to end on a free space. You attack every enemy you pass through as well as your final target (roll separately for each target). Your weapon is imbued with a single touch spell which has a casting time of a full-round or less (see Imbue weapon for more details) and its effect lasts for all attacks until the beginning of your next turn. The spell affects all targets and its effects are maximized for the final target. Until the end of your next turn any creature that attacks you in melee provokes an AoO from you. You may perform an additional AoO up to your Wisdom modifier until the beginning of your next turn.

Relecs
2012-09-11, 06:55 PM
Since it makes sense to you deity favored weapon, isn't two handed weapon restrictive?

Idea on feat: Improved critical
Idea of missing enhanced weapon: keen

I agree that two handed is too restrictive, the thought process behind it was that the bow was a two-handed weapon and in addition it would be unbalanced in the hands of a duel wielder, I think I will change it to any melee weapon and state that the effects will only work on one weapon that the divine champion is wielding.

As for the feat and the enchantment, the feat raises the level which the class could be entered since it requires a BAB of +8, and the enchantment is restrictive since it would only work on edged and piercing weapons (that said I may include it with an alternative enchantment for blunt weapons)

I'm still considering the abilities, I think I will avoid the 1/encounter type of ability as that is not generally something available in pathfinder. Other than that though some of these seem like they might fit.

Relecs
2012-09-11, 07:00 PM
I have been looking through the divine spells and quickly came to a realization that there are very few touch spells available (in the core book from 1st - 4th level spells only cure and inflict wounds). As such I'm going to change the imbue weapon power to work with any single target spell in order to give the class more diverse options more akin to the list of area spells available to the arcane archer. In addition to the questions which I have already asked if anyone sees any ways in which this makes the power broken, let me know as I could very easily have not seen it.

In addition to this I'm considering a power for the 10th level capstone to be a differently flavoured variation of the two-handed fighter archetype ability Devastating Blow

Guided Strike (Su): At 10th level, as a standard action, a divine champion may make a single melee attack with at a –5 penalty. If the attack hits, it is treated as a critical threat. Special weapon abilities that activate only on a critical hit do not activate if this critical hit is confirmed.

I believe however that this is more powerful than the arcane archers capstone which, while useful is limited in both its scope and effectiveness. In order to balance this I believe that replacing the phase arrow ability with the ability to give a melee weapon brilliant energy for a similar number of rounds (or single attacks) per day, may be equal. (as phase arrow is brilliant energy plus passing through walls and ignoring concealment and cover)

As always any thoughts, comments, criticisms, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Relecs
2012-09-13, 02:34 PM
The obvious choice to replace hail of arrows is something similar to whirlwind attack (perhaps just giving the feat irrelevant of prerequisites) I'm not sure if this balances out however, it may be to powerful as the arcane archers ability is only usable a number of times per day. Any thoughts?

As for seeker arrow, possibly allowing the divine champion to re roll concealment chances? I'm not sure if this balances out, it could be a number of times per day (perhaps equal to the number of times per day seeker arrow can be used, 4 at 10th level)

Any comments would be appreciated.