PDA

View Full Version : Melee Gunslinger (Pathfinder architype) PEACH

TheOneWhoWalks
2012-09-13, 05:43 PM
Removed, because I thought of a good way to do this finally, and I am slightly embarrassed about this attempt...

Cieyrin
2012-09-15, 03:46 PM
First thing, this makes me think of Equilibrium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29) and their Gun Kata. As such, I'd possibly lean towards a more ascetic feeling name (plus Gunslinger and Monk go fairly well together, as they're dependent on the same stats).

For Versatile Gun-Fighting and Gun-Fu, I'd still grant the enhancement bonus of the firearm, as Pistol-Whip does so, so why should you cut that out?

Looks like you're definitely focused on two-handed firearms, though I think it's unnecessary to charge extra for the privilege of enchanting both ends, as having to enchant as a double-weapon is already expensive. Consider the existing double weapon firearms (Dagger Pistol, Axe Musket, Warhammer Musket), they don't charge you more for that. You have to take the archetype to be able to do it otherwise and other people without your training are gonna suffer nonproficiency penalties for attempting to do so.

I also don't think you need all the extra language on two-weapon fighting with it, that's covered by the normal two-weapon rules. As for Point-Blank Master, I'd probably just go by the Special text and extend the Weapon Focus bonus that Archery Rangers get. I'd just replace Dead Shot or Startling Shot, no need to replace 2 deeds with this one, it's not THAT good that such is necessary.

TheOneWhoWalks
2012-09-17, 01:43 AM
Removed, see above

ThiagoMartell
2012-09-17, 06:39 AM
The names are really bad. I can't remember any fictional character that actually uses a gun for melee as his primary weapon. Execution seems okay-ish, but I really don't think this is something that needs to be implemented.

Cieyrin
2012-09-17, 05:02 PM
The names are really bad. I can't remember any fictional character that actually uses a gun for melee as his primary weapon. Execution seems okay-ish, but I really don't think this is something that needs to be implemented.

The names are pretty generic, yes, hence why I suggested a more ascetic naming scheme.

As for fictional characters meleeing with guns, there's the aforementioned Equilibrium, as well as Ultraviolet, which used the same Gun Kata, though that wasn't anywhere near the same quality. Also, if you've seen Cowboy Bebop, Spike pistol whips people enough that I could see it feasible, though he's most definitely a Gunslinger/Flowing Monk.

Finally, for reasons to implement, I see it as an alternative to Deft Shootist/Snap Shot, which definitely has a niche. This archetype is far less feat intensive and happens sooner, so I see no reason why it couldn't be of use.