PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Reprint Idea

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-17, 12:08 AM
I would love to see a series of thick, well-bound tomes, each containing a compilation of 3.5 material. One could include every base class, one could include every prestige class, one could include every spell, one could include every monster, and so on. Some of the more broken content could also be re-balanced, and everything could use a revision. These books would have to be built to last, so they could be enjoyed over a period of years.

Welknair
2012-09-17, 12:19 AM
If such books were created, I'd certainly be a buyer.

Note: We already have the Spell Compendium which has all 3.5 spells not found in PHB and PHBII.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-17, 12:34 AM
Note: We already have the Spell Compendium which has all 3.5 spells not found in PHB and PHBII.

Yes, but it is no longer in print.

Since the Wizards are reprinting the 3.5 books, I though they could do this as well. Sort of a 3.5 capstone. The compendiums should be available on store shelves.

I don't really care if they are expensive, so long as they are made to endure man years of heavy use, and are well-indexed and properly comprehensive. They should be several hundred pages each, sold for maybe $65 a piece, nice to look at with minimalist covers.

kardar233
2012-09-17, 01:23 AM
If such books were created, I'd certainly be a buyer.

It's actually missing a fair number, including many of my favourites from CChamp and LoEF, though that's probably because it was printed before those.

HunterOfJello
2012-09-17, 01:52 AM
I would love to see a series of thick, well-bound tomes, each containing a compilation of 3.5 material. One could include every base class, one could include every prestige class, one could include every spell, one could include every monster, and so on. Some of the more broken content could also be re-balanced, and everything could use a revision. These books would have to be built to last, so they could be enjoyed over a period of years.

It's been noted that while there are around 40 base classes (I think), there are actually something like 400 prestige classes. So, while a base class compendium is possible, a prestige class compendium is not.

A Spell Compendium 2 with all the spells that aren't in the SC and PHB would be awesome as hell. The same applies for a Magic Item Compendium 2.

A Monster Compendium is unlikely, there are too many monsters.

It seems that errata will be included, but changes/rebalances to the game are unlikely.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-17, 05:42 AM
Dude, I'd be happy if they'd just post some errata for ToB. Iron heart surge desperately needs clarification, and I'm pretty sure divine surge's damage figure is a mistake.

I'd also like to see some more creature books ala libris mortis, lords of madness, draconomicon, etc. Something fey focused would be cool.

Finally, and this one will probably have some people foaming at the mouth and calling me a mad man, I'd really like to see a pair of books, or at least a single book, for the ethical axis of the alignment system. Good and Evil are well defined, even if many people disagree with the exact definitions. Why not Law and Chaos?

Slyclops
2012-09-17, 10:00 AM
I would love a Base Class Compendium (with all ACFs included), another Spell Compendium (or a more complete one), and some type of Feat Compendium. It would be nice to not have to refer to 20 books to my DM so he knows what character I'm making.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-17, 10:04 AM
I would love a Base Class Compendium (with all ACFs included), another Spell Compendium (or a more complete one), and some type of Feat Compendium. It would be nice to not have to refer to 20 books to my DM so he knows what character I'm making.

oooooh +1 for feat compendium.

On the topic of feat and class compendiums though. Would you include the classes from the sub-sytem books; Incarnum, ToM, Psionics, and ToB; and the feats related to those sub-sytems or just the classes that interact with the core system that are scattered through out a dozen or so books and the feats that don't relate to the sub-sytems?

Slyclops
2012-09-17, 10:37 AM
I think the base class book should definitely include all the base classes just so players can see their options in one location. I'm not sure how many feats are out there, but leaving out the subsystems would be okay if there would be far too many to fit in one book (which I'm assuming there are). The subsystem stuff is at least easier and more obvious to find then the random feats that are scattered throughout the 3.5 library.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-09-17, 10:42 AM
Psionics should be there, considering that it's a part of the OGL and has some scattered support outside the XPH and CPsi.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-17, 03:02 PM
How does this sound?

Tome of Classes. The 50 best and most iconic classes, revised and with extra art and sample characters.
Tome of Prestige Classes. The 75 best and most iconic prestige classes, also with revisions and more art.
Tome of Monsters. The 500 best monster entries, with additional fluff, streamlined mechanics, and quite a bit of new art.
Tome of Spells. The 1,000 best spells.
Tome of Options. Every feat, race, alternate class feature, and piece of mundane equipment.
Tome of Treasures. Every magic item, with many re-balanced.
Tome of Rules. An easy, revised rules reference complete with errata, similar to the 4e Rules Compendium.

They could be sold for $35-65 a piece, depending on thickness. They would be sturdy, tough, and well-bound.

From a business perspective, I think this would actually be a good move for the Wizards. It would cost little to produce, as most of the material is already there, and it would please 3.5 fans.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-17, 03:10 PM
Rules Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Spell Compendium already exist.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-17, 03:17 PM
Rules Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Spell Compendium already exist.

Yes, but they have been out of print for years. I was thinking of something that could be printed now. My ideas were also a bit different, save for the rules one.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-18, 08:22 AM
You know that 3.5 is back in print, right? Just saw that core had hit my local game shop again. Just core for now, but they DID do a massive survey on what other 3.5 books they should reprint, so they're obviously looking at reprinting more.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-18, 08:39 AM
You know that 3.5 is back in print, right? Just saw that core had hit my local game shop again. Just core for now, but they DID do a massive survey on what other 3.5 books they should reprint, so they're obviously looking at reprinting more.

I know. I just think this would be very useful.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-18, 11:16 AM
I know. I just think this would be very useful.

Why? I don't really want another giant compendium of the same old spells. I've got a fairly useful collection of them right now. I'd much rather have something entirely new, or a collection of something that doesn't yet have a collection.

Anxe
2012-09-18, 11:19 AM
I was done buying stuff after Complete Adventurer came out. If they released the books again in a different form I'm still not going to get them. It might be cool for you folks. I, in my illustrious conceit, believe the rest of the world is like me and wouldn't buy reprints. Therefore, reprints are a financially bad idea.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-09-18, 11:25 AM
I was done buying stuff after Complete Adventurer came out. If they released the books again in a different form I'm still not going to get them. It might be cool for you folks. I, in my illustrious conceit, believe the rest of the world is like me and wouldn't buy reprints. Therefore, reprints are a financially bad idea.

I'm still not done buying 3.5 stuff. WotC putting stuff back in print, or maybe (fingers crossed) printing new material is of great interest to me.

If nothing else it might get the amazon re-sale prices down.

Anxe
2012-09-18, 12:23 PM
It must be as you say, Captain Panther.

Tyndmyr
2012-09-18, 12:31 PM

When used book prices are sometimes in excess of $50 a book, I suspect that demand does indeed exist. Hell, this demand might well explain the success of Pathfinder.

I mean, I own all the 3.0 and 3.5 official books, and I'm still considering buying the reprints.

eepop
2012-09-18, 02:12 PM
extra art
more art.
additional fluff,
streamlined mechanics,
quite a bit of new art.
with many re-balanced.

It would cost little to produce

You can not do both of these. All that in the top costs more money.

I can accept if you say we're just re-arranging the old content to be sold in big compendiums. That requires no new creation, and could probably be done economically.

But as soon as you start adding in so much new art, and streamlining, and rebalancing, the economical-ness flies out the window. What you are suggesting is just too big of a project to be done simultaneously with D&DNext.

And this is from someone who probably would buy products along this vein, I just can't see what you are suggesting being economical.

I think the best we could do if we really want this is to focus on the class book. Write out explicitly what we would want from it. And I mean explicitly like "copy pages A-B of Complete Divine, then copy pages X-Z of Complete Arcane". Write all that down, and make a petition to ask WotC to make a Kickstarter for it, not a commitment to make it, just a kickstarter to see if there is interest, putting whatever cost it would take them to find it viable.

If we could somehow make that happen, I would pledge my money so fast I would probably break my mouse.

If that then becomes a success, getting the others made becomes miles easier.