PDA

View Full Version : Fox and Tree Development

Ammutseba
2012-09-17, 02:24 AM
Alright, so I'm making a martial discipline called Fox and Tree that uses Speak Language as its key skill. The discipline is primarily for defense and restoration, and secondarily for battlefield control and debuffing, and has only rare directly offensive applications.

I'm getting to about the halfway point with figuring out what all of the maneuvers do, and I'm at a point where I'm really starting to need some help. See, ever maneuver in the discipline can be augmented by one or more languages — if a character recites a mantra in its augmenting languages while performing the maneuver, that maneuver gains enhanced effects. If possible, I would like it if no two maneuvers shared any single language.

Right now, I'm facing a particular stumbling block. At each level, there is a maneuver with a name that references a number of tails the same as the level, and which can be augmented by just as many languages. I'm having a hard time figuring out which languages would be best for the tails' maneuvers of levels 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

So, these are the languages that haven't been used yet...
Aboleth
Aglarondan
Alzhedo
Amedi
Aragrakh
Argon
Armandish
Asherati
Avolakia
Bakemono
Baklunish, Ancient
Beguiler
Beholder
Blink Dog
Boggle
Buso
Chessentan
Chondathon
Chultan
Cold Tongue
Common, Rokugani
Daan
Damaran
Dambrathan
Darfelan
Dark One
Desmodu
Durpari
Feline
Feral
Flan
Formian
Giant
Gith
Githyanki
Githzerai
Gnoll
Goblin, Grodd
Gol-Kaa
Grell
Grimlock
Gutterspeak
Hadozee
Halruaan
Hengeyokai
Heshar
Howler
Hulgorkyn
Ibixian
Ice Weird
Illuskan
Irial
Kappa
Keolandish
Khen-Zai**
Kuo-Toan
Kythric
Lantanese
Leskylor
Loross
Loxo
Mabran
Maenad
Midani
Modron
Mongrelfolk Pidgin
Mulhorandi
Mulhorandi (Thay)
Naga, Shinomen
Neraph
Nerra
Nexalen
Nezumi
Nycter
Nyrondese
Odopi
Old Cormyrean
Olman
Ordai
Pek
Rashemi
Rhek
Rhopan
Riedran
Rilmani
Risian
Roushoum
Runehound
Sahuagin
Salak
Salt Mummy, Ancient
Sarrukhar
Seldruin
Serusan
Shaaran
Shadowlands
Shou
Silthilar
Snow Weird
Spirit Tongue
Sporebat (1)
Stonesinger
Susurrus
Synad
Tako
Tashalan
Tashultan
Tasloi
Tengu
Thorass
Thri-kreen
Tsochar
Tuigan
Turmic
Ulagha
Uluik
Umber Hulk
Untheric
Urskan
Vanara
Velondi
Worg
XephAnd these are the languages that have been used so far.Abyssal
Aleph
Ancient Suloise*
Aquan
Auran
Battle Signals
Bhuka
Blood Elemental
Buommi
Celestial
Common
Daelkyr
Demodand
Draconic
Drow Sign Language
Druidic
Dvati
Dwarven
Elsewhale
Elven
Ettin Pidgin
Gnome
Goblin
Halfling
Ignan
Illumian
Infernal
Kaorti
Lendorian Elven
Lumi
Mabrahoring**
Marru
Moilian
Netherese
Oeridian, Old
Orc
Qualith
Quor
Shadowswyft
Slaad
Sphinx
Suloise, Ancient
Sylvan
Talaire
Terran
Treant
Undercommon
Varrangoin
Yuan-ti
Words of Creation
Dark Speech
Truespeak

I don't have the specifics of these maneuvers figured out yet, but here are my notes:
Five Tails' Harmony: Counter—Augmented by Buommi, Druidic, Lendorian Elven,
Six Tails' Eternity: Stance—Beneficial effects on you have their durations extended by 1 round or 1 use. Augmented by
Seven Tails' Glory: Strike—Augmented by Aquan, Celestial, Lumi,
Eight Tails' Fortune: Boost—You gain exceptional luck. Augmented by Halfling,
Nine Tails' Torment: Stance—Bad for foes standing near the initiator. Augmented by Aleph, Ancient Suloise, Mabrahoring, Netherese, Talaire, Old Oeridian, Undercommon, Yuan-ti.

I realize that's not a whole lot to go on, but I can tell you that:
in Five Tails' Harmony, I want to use the languages of creatures that are in rapport with the land;
in Six Tails' Eternity, I want to use the languages of creatures that are immortal, especially long-lived or to whom time means nothing;
in Seven Tails' Glory, I want to use the languages of creatures that fit a heavenly, holy or righteous theme;
in Eight Tails' Fortune, I want to use the languages of creatures that are especially lucky and/or peaceful and;
in Nine Tails' Torment, I want to use a language that is either extremely old, rare or lost, or the language of creatures that defeat their enemies using dirty fighting and no regard for honor.

Any suggestions?

Inglenook
2012-09-20, 11:56 PM
I can't really offer much in the way of advice, but the concept is hella cool. I hope you'll post it all when it's done. :smallsmile:

Ammutseba
2012-09-21, 12:14 AM
I can't really offer much in the way of advice, but the concept is hella cool. I hope you'll post it all when it's done. :smallsmile:

Thanks for your feedback about that. It's been brought to my attention that the wide number of languages from so many different sources will create a problem in a lot campaigns, though, so I'm also working on an adaptation of the discipline that is keyed not on which languages a character know but how many languages a character knows and provides guidelines for alternate language use, if a DM prefers to use their own campaign-specific languages.

I will definitely be posting the discipline when the first draft is done, though. I don't know about you, but no good ever came from anything of mine that was developed in a vacuum.