PDA

View Full Version : IC II Toes In The Water

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Zman
2012-09-19, 02:29 PM
Mary

Looking mournful, "He chose me for a life on the road, but Hulburg was fated to be my destination. It is here He chose me to bear his child, a child of the Cudgel and his divine grace."

Yay! Second IC thread!

achinca
2012-09-19, 04:15 PM
Miriam looks at Mary with a confused look on her face. "Wait sister. Are you telling that St. Cuthbert himself was your teacher and he left you with child? Your son is a demigod? I am a little confused because I was told that the Gods do not mix with the mortal races and procreate. Did you really meet The Cudgel himself?'

Miriam's eyes are wide open as she is trying to make sense of the story that Mary is telling her.

Zman
2012-09-19, 04:21 PM
Mary

She pauses for a second, choosing her words carefully, "It was the will of Saint Cuthbert that i was with child. Though I traveled with a saint of a man, he was just a simple man, pure as a mere man could be. He was Calric, rescuer of the Mace that Never Forgets, lost Relic of the Church. Maybe you've heard of him....I hope he yet lves." there is a look of fondness and loneliness in her eyes.

achinca
2012-09-19, 04:27 PM
Miriam turns white as all the blood is drained from her face. She grabs on a horse's mane to prevent from falling. Her heart is beating really fast, she starts to sweat and has problem breathing.

She opens her mouth but no words come out. Instead, silent tears fall down her cheeks.

With a broken, barely audible voice she asks 'Did ... Did ... did you say his name was .... Ca .... Cal .... Calric?

She stops as she faces another panic attack.

"Ca... Cal .. Calric is the fa ... fa ... ther? What did he look like?"

She looks around for a place to sit as she is about to pass out if she stays standing up.

Zman
2012-09-19, 07:22 PM
Mary

Feeding off of the woman's despair, Mary speaks, barely audible, "His...his...it was his will...Calric said it was his will. Calric knew, he always knew...". Her voice grow more destraught as she speaks becoming quieter and quieter.

When Miriam asks what he looked like, the woman can't speak, she only offers the amulet from around her neck. When opened there is a stong looking young man, "Just like him..." she barely squeaks out.

Mary helps Miriam sit on an old weathered bench, barely holding it together herself in the stunned silence of old memories.

Zman
2012-09-19, 09:25 PM
Moral's Armory

The two young women, carrying armfuls of equipment enter the Armory of Moral. A stout Dwarf with a shaggy black beard streaked with grey stands behind the counter. Looking at the mixed goods they are carrying and sighs, "Salvage?."

As you look around the shop, you can see many suits of armor, none of which are below the finest quality. The centerpiece of the shot is a glistening suit of the lightest metal Chainmail. It gleams with a tint that piques your arcane senses.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-19, 09:32 PM
Wanting to be honest, Natalia quickly nods and says, "Worth something...right?" before stepping back and letting Mithril take over.

Athedia
2012-09-19, 11:26 PM
Mithril placed the heavy armful down on the counter and sorted through it as she talked. "My family deals in clothing and fabrics, I can tell you for sure that these are more than salvage. Some are even the finest crafted orcish armor I have seen. But let's make a deal, I think I have a skill that may benefit you. Do you know all the magic that lies within the armor in store?" While talking her brow furrowed as if she knew there was something she was forgetting.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-19, 11:48 PM
Looking at Mithril more closely, Natalia notices something missing. "Whiskers?" she asks her friend quietly.

achinca
2012-09-20, 04:45 AM
Miriam looks at the pendant and screms 'NOOOOOOOOOOOO".

She turns whiter than before and if it was not for the stable wall behind her she would have fallen down. She let Mary helps her to the bench as she puts her face into her hands and start sobbing. She cries and cries.

When the sobs finally subside, in a weak, low quiet voice, she asks 'Ca.. Cal .... He was my teacher too .... He always knew right..... He was so wise ... He always told hoe little I knew .... Tell me Mary, tell me about your quest for The Mace that Never Forgets .... tell me Mary .... how old were you when you met Calric? How did you meet him?'. She looks at the ground motionless as she speaks.

The tone of a voice is monotone like anyone who has had their life gutted and losing all their reference framework to their life. Her mind is in whirlpool and she is not sure what is happening to her.

Cavelcade
2012-09-20, 06:51 AM
Kurt nods in agreement with Valen's comment as he then gets to work on his axe. "It is better than how they used to let us recover after the training halls. These little bruises will fade much more quickly."

Zman
2012-09-20, 10:53 AM
Moral

Looking distrust fly at the girls, "Aye, salvage. I can smell the blood. Name your price, I'll see if they are worth it to me.. As the girls eye the armor, "Don't get any ideas I know the magics on that there armor, and it's worth more than your life....which the wards are there to ensure. Don't get any ideas..."

Using the appraise roll and the general rules I used befor, total the value and multiply it by 52% for how much he will give you. You can describe the haggling if you wish.

Athedia
2012-09-20, 10:56 AM
"What's he doing this time?" Mithril reached behind her to grab Whisker's by his scruff, but when her hand met empty air she froze. Slowly turning and scanning the shop she examined the interior for signs of the weasel. Figuring he must have stayed with Kurt and Shiny she started to turn back to the dwarf when a sudden wave of fear swept over her bringing her to her knees. But as soon as she had hit the floor the fear was replaced with a calmness, a peace she had never felt before.

She felt all her troubles melt away, Linwood was safe, the orphanage was built, Miriam had found hope, Shiny had found his truth, Kurt and Valen where safe and old, and Natalia had a small workshop filled with inventions she hadd made. She leaned against the counter these images playing in her head, this was pure peace.

Those who saw her only saw her give a small cry as she toppled and then lay against the counter smiling, eyes staring into the distance.

EDIT: I am playing empathic link up extremely in this one, just because of the situation.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 11:26 AM
"Mithril!" Natalia's quick reflexes allow her to catch Mithril and gently lower her to the floor. Panicked, she waves a hand in front of her face. "You okay? What happened? Poison, a spell?" She'd been with her most of the day; she feels fine.

If Mithril doesn't respond, or if she's not lucid, Natalia gently brushes her loose auburn hair behind her ear. Then, about to cry, she turns to the dwarf and says, "...Please! Help! Know what happened?" The whole time, Natalia tries to snap Mithril out of it.

Athedia
2012-09-20, 12:09 PM
Mithril started to come to, head still reeling from the experience. She saw Natalia begging the dwarf for help, and managed to grab her arm."Whiskers...something happened"

Zman
2012-09-20, 01:49 PM
Mary

Weeping, the woman does her best to tell her story. She finishes healing the horses as she spoke, the routine spells acting as a comfort to her.
"I was young, maybe 12...13 he found me...he saved me....he took me in...he taught me everything...I was pathetic...he made me something. We traveled for a few years before word was given to him that a relic of Saint Cuthbert. The Mace that Never Forgets...a glorious weapon. Even Calric found himself too impure to hold it... We wrest it away from a dark Labyrinth to the north. Vile creatures... Life into death. A powerful sorceress lich..... I still have nightmares to this day....but Calric wasn't afraid. I remember it clearly,I stood there with my mark of the Cudgel held aloft, pouring my heart and soul into it...but, but it wasn't enough. Calric stood there with no fear, he turned the lich away long enough for me to grab the mace....I still remember the voice, it said I was not yet worthy... We survived with our life. We traveled until we chose to rest here, in Hulburg for a time. It was here I was...I was.... ". Her tears start to flow..."I was blessed by Saint Culbert. It was then that I last say him, some 17 summers ago."

She is curing a moderate, then light wounds on the horses.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 02:07 PM
Natalia turns back and manages to ask, "Okay? Where? Good or bad?" She supports Mithril, helping her upright, ready to bolt out of the shop.

Zman
2012-09-20, 03:49 PM
Moral

"Miss, you alright? Do I need to call for a healer?" as the dwarf comes hurrying over to check on Mithil.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 03:55 PM
"Missing familiar," Natalia says to Moral in a rushed voice. "Sense him where?" she asks Mithril, kneeling next to her.

Zman
2012-09-20, 03:57 PM
Moral

Standing upright at the mention of a familiar, "Bah! mages. Magic doesn't put coin in. U pocket."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 04:12 PM
Natalia stand up, the expression on her face suddenly going flat. "Mages are...brilliant." Helping Mithril stand upright, she takes the gear and says, "Find Whiskers," as they leave the store.

Athedia
2012-09-20, 04:32 PM
Mithril tried to focus. If Whisker's where seperated from her he would head somewhere he recognized. He never went into unfamiliar buildings without her, the last time he had there had been a dog inside and he had barely gotten away. Her head was still foggy from his emotions, the shared feelings to strong to fully ignore.

On the other side of the square she saw the only familiar building. "Boccob, we would go there to pray." She braced herself on Natalia, the strength had started to return to her legs but the arm supporting her helped calm the panic that threatened to overtake her.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 04:47 PM
"Find him," Natalia says as they enter the temple, trying to quell her friend's fear,
"Promise."

achinca
2012-09-20, 07:28 PM
We traveled until we chose to rest here, in Hulburg for a time. It was here I was...I was.... "[/B]. Her tears start to flow..."I was blessed by Saint Culbert. It was then that I last say him, some 17 summers ago."

As Mary starts to sobs, Miriam starts crying again, her voice full of pain and despair.
'Mary, Calric was my teacher too. Our stories are similar. I was a young pathetic maid in a church of St. Cuthbert, abandoned by her own farming family. I knew nothing. He taught me every thing..... He told me about the search for the Mace That Never Forget. He told me the story about the sorceress lich. But he told me that the apprentice was a young man that perished. He never mentioned you. He said that was his biggest failure. He never mentioned fathering a child. He told me that I was his soul mate.'

She stops as the pain is too strong. She takes deep breath to try to recompose herself but it results in more tears. Finally, after a lot of efforts, she says 'Where is your son? Can I see him? He looks just like him but younger.'

She stops again and gathers what ever little strength and courage she has left. 'Mary, I need to ask you a very private question. Did he deflower you? If yes, how long before you ended up in Hulburg. He did deflower me. He was my first and only. I wanted to wait for our wedding night but he said it would be better if I had some experience. He knew everything as he kept reminding me that I am a simple farm girl who knows nothing. Not long after taking my maidenhood, he died.'

She finally stops exhausted. Her life is unraveling in front of her eyes. could it be that Calric, the man she adored more than everything was not that he portrayed to be. He never mentioned Mary. He never mentioned his son. What is the truth she wonders?

Zman
2012-09-20, 07:39 PM
Mary

With all of the information presented to her it appears to be more than Mary can process, "Dead...dead....DEAD..." she sobs. "You?? But, Calric.....Calric would never...Ca...." irratically jumping from topic to topic in an attempt to process what is happening around her, "My son.... he is... is... off fighting.....the Ogres... I may never see him again..."

Que another possible side quest?!

achinca
2012-09-20, 07:53 PM
Miriam is taken back by Mary's reaction. "Well, on his dying breath he told me to take his shield, his mace and his holy symbol and go do good in the realm. He told me to leave him there and I left him because he trained me to obey to him because he knew so much. I never looked back. I cried and cried. I trusted him with everything.'

The whirlwind continues for Miriam. She has no idea what is true or not anymore. So many holes suddenly in her past, in her history. Has she been living a lie?

What is your son name? I cannot promise for my group but once we secure Linwood, I will go find him and make him safe, if St. Cuth.....'

She stops in mid-sentence as she suddenly asks herself the question 'Why would St. Cuthbert let her live that lie? Why would he allow Calric to abandon his son and mate? Why would he allow Calric to do such things?'

That crisis of faith suddenly hit her very hard in the stomach. PHysical pain is now adding to the emotional damages.

Zman
2012-09-20, 09:47 PM
Temple of Boccob

As Mithril and Natalia enter the temple of Boccob they are met by a woman of advancing years. She has raven black hair and is advancing in years. Garbed in navy silken robes she posses a beauty and power of presence rarely seen, let alone on someone past their prime and no bigger than a child. Atop her left shoulda sits a wall rodent...Whiskers, his fur the purest white.

As she opens her mouth a sound comparable to first birdsong of spring escapes, "Greetings and welcome, I am Theurge Avaralynn, High Priestess of Boccob in Hulburg."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 09:53 PM
Natalia only partially hears the priestess' statement, focusing at the mustelid perched on her shoulder. Relief quickly gives way to a flash of frustrated anger.

"Whiskers?!"

Natalia does not intend to offend Avaralynn, and she quickly steps aside to let Mithril get Whiskers and chew him out.

Zman
2012-09-20, 10:32 PM
Mary

Barely able to speak, all Mary could get out was, "Calric...I named him Calric...after his father...". The rest is lost to weeping.

Athedia
2012-09-20, 11:35 PM
Mithril paid little heed to the priestess, scooping Whiskers off her shoulder and collapsing onto the ground with him in her arms. Curled up so she cuddled him whispering "Boccob bless, you're safe. Boccob bless, Boccob bless."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-20, 11:37 PM
"Thought you...were hurt! Something happened to Mithril!" Natalia shouts at Whiskers. "Why here? Alone?!"

achinca
2012-09-21, 05:17 AM
Miriam finds the strength to go kneel next to Mary, hug her and cry with her.

She barely has the strength to say 'I am so sorry .... I did not want to reopn these old wounds ... what reason did he give you when he left you?'

She thinks to herself 'I wonder if I should thanks that old maid at the temple who taught me how to brew moon tea. I remember her words. If you lose your maidenhood before marriage, drink this after each deed. I never told Calric. What that a blessing?'

She tries to comfort Mary 'At least you got a beautiful son. There might have been some lies and untruth but you were blessed with a great child."

She thinks "Was she blessed? Or cursed?'

Zman
2012-09-21, 12:45 PM
Mary

The woman continues to sob, "He was called...called by Saint Cuthbert to return the Mace...for safe keeping."

At the mention of her son her weeping intensifies, "My son...now I'll be alone...all alone!"

achinca
2012-09-21, 12:56 PM
Miriam keeps hugging tight Mary, caressing her head as she sobs. She does not have even the energy to get angry. She is exhausted emotionally. She is thinking, 'if he did this to me and Mary, how many other simple farm girls who know nothing did he play that game to? How can St. Cuthbert let it happen?'

She whispers 'He never went for the Mace. He told me that was his biggest failure. I am afraid he abandoned you. He must have gotten what he wanted.'

She stops knowing she is destroying that woman's past and life the was her past has been destroyed. 'Why does it hurt so much to live a lie?'

When Mary mentions her son again, she whispers 'Listen, I am with a group of good people. We are in the process of helping Linwood survive. Once this is accomplish, I will try to convince them to help Hulburg with the Ogres issues and see if we can bring back your son. If not I will go alone and hired some sellswords.'

She tries to comfort Mary 'Listen Mary, you are a good person. You can, no you should move on. We will find your son. Remember, you now have a friend in me. I will be here for you.

She says too herself 'Why is it so easy for me to say it to her but impossible to believe it about me?'

Zman
2012-09-21, 12:59 PM
Mary

"But, he left with the Mace...he had it...we saved it."

When Miriam promises to search for her son, the woman seems relieved for a moment before her ters resume their course. "Thank you." she wails.

achinca
2012-09-21, 01:12 PM
Miriam is surprised at Mary's statement 'But ..but .. he told me he failed in his quest .... I guess that was not the first lie he told me ....'

She caresses the woman's hair as she adds while looking at her own mace 'What marking did the mace have? And what special power did that relic have?'

She continues to soothe the woman 'Do you want companioship until I need to leave for Linwood? I don't think it is good for either of us to be alone right now.'

As she comforts Mary, she realizes that she is doing to numb yourself, as much as it is to help her. 'If I take care of others, I will not have to think about me and what it means ....'

Zman
2012-09-21, 02:24 PM
Mary

Realization dawning upon her, "The Mace never returned?!" Looking almost paniced, "Saint Cuthbert watch over us..."

She describes the Mace that Never Forgets (http://spliced.osoal.org.nz/stuff/PCGen5120/portraits/cmp/wizards_of_the_coast/complete_divine/Cudgel%20that%20Never%20Forgets.jpg) in the best detail she can.

When asked about the Cudge's power, "I'm merely an orphan and know little of such things besides what He has granted to me, Its a relic of some power and importance...and I swear on my Oath's to Saint Cuthbert that it spoke to me."

She seems to melt when Miriam offers to stay, "Thank you."

achinca
2012-09-21, 02:57 PM
Miriam listens to the description, making mental notes if she can.

"It is OK, Sister. It is not your fault. He never had it with him when he was with me. Not sure what has happened to it. But right now it is none of your concerns.'

She stops as she noticed something in Mary's speech pattern. "Can I ask you a question. You keep saying "I am an orphan who known little of those things. Is this what Calric kept telling you. Because he kept telling me every time I disagree with him or did not want to do something that I was a simple farm girl who knows nothing and he is an wiser elder and must obey his orders and wishes. I always gave in and now I say it a lot as I ended up believing it.'

As the horses are healed, Miriam suggests to Mary that they go back to her place. On the way out of the stabbles, she will ask a squire. "Good Kind Squire, can I ask you a favor in the name of St. Cuthbert? Can you tell the group of adventurers that just arrived in town and own these horses that they have been healed and if they are looking for me Miriam, I will be with Lady Mary. Thank you."

Athedia
2012-09-21, 03:16 PM
Mithril finally calmed down enough to process the changes in Whisker's appearance. Turning to the priestess she bowed her head and said "High Priestess, thank you for returning him to me. But can you tell me what happened, all I felt was fear and peace, I thought he had died."

Zman
2012-09-21, 03:48 PM
Valen sits in the Hogs Head next to Kurt. It's a rough little inn, but left to their own devices the two Barbarians weren't too picky, and this inn let them have their weapons out.

"Where'd that damned little gnome go? I thought he was following you?"

Valen chuckles, "Well just listen for the lynch mob..."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-21, 03:57 PM
Natalia nods, she's relaxed a bit. "Why here...why white?"

Zman
2012-09-21, 04:20 PM
Temple of Boccob

The Raven haired woman remained silent, watching the two young woman intently. When asked about Whiskers directly she answers with a simple and definitive, "I restored him.". After answering she again is quiet, as if her response was more than sufficient.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-21, 04:25 PM
Natalia peers closely at Whiskers; his muzzle seems to be wet. No way... She looks up at the priestess. "...Drank holy water?"

Zman
2012-09-21, 04:27 PM
Mary

Walking with Miriam, "I was only an Orphan...and he was so wise...". She continues crying, most of what she says is unintelligible.

The squires affirms Miriam's request before tending to the Horses needs.

achinca
2012-09-21, 04:36 PM
Miriam holds Mary by the arm "You are an orphan but that does not mean you don't know anything. And his wisdom might have been great but he used it to lie and manipulate.'

Again she does not believe a word she says applies to himself. She has numbed herself because she is afraid of the pain she will feel when she start drawing the consequences of what she just learned.

Cavelcade
2012-09-21, 06:09 PM
Kurt just shrugs. "If he needs us, we'll know about it." He pauses, looking up with a slight frown from his axe. "...maybe we should keep our weapons out?"

Athedia
2012-09-21, 08:45 PM
Mithril listens to her words and looks back at Whiskers wide-eyed. Kneeling down she promised the priestess "I will bring Boccob back any knowledge I gain on my journeys for this favor. I am in your debt." Standing back up she turned to Natalia, and noticed for the first time the armful of gear she was holding. "I wouldn't wonder if the shopkeeper thinks me mad now. Maybe we will have better luck at Victor's."

Whiskers just snuggled into his normal spot behind her neck, the afternoon's activities having drained him of energy. He wished he could talk to Mithril, and tell her not to worry about him, but settled for calm, sleepiness instead.

As Mithril felt the well known feeling she relaxed, Whisker's only felt like that when he was safe.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-21, 09:05 PM
Natalia nods and says, "Not Moral, find friend of mages," as they leave the temple and go back to the three stores.

Zman
2012-09-22, 10:59 AM
Avaralynn

"Boccob will hold you to such a promise made in his holy temple."

Victor's Armaments

As the two young woman walk into the weapons shop, they are greeted by a jovial half elf who's scarred face and body clashes with his warm demeanor.

"Welcome ladies, you surprise me with an armful of Orc weapons." a wry smile on his face.
The establishment is full of weapons of all sort, some of varying metals.

Zman
2012-09-22, 11:33 PM
Mary

Mary has barely the energy to respond to Miriam, "But, but, ....I love him..."

Forgot I didn't respond to this, my apologies.

Maybe a fade to black with Mary?

Athedia
2012-09-22, 11:37 PM
After selling the supplies and picking out a tiny brown leather collar for Whiskers, Mithril started to head back to the other's with Natalia. "Go ahead, I have some business I must take care of." With this she went back to the temple. She approached the first priestess she saw with a request, "Priestess, may I take some of Boccob's knowledge from the books in exchange for updates on events I have seen. My friends and I must leave soon and I wish to be of more help to them." Whiskers, resplendent in his new collar, stood proudly on her shoulder, attempting to give more power to her request.

Takes the opportunity to copy Detect Thoughts and Acid Arrow. And honestly I got the collar so I can cast a light spell on it.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-22, 11:50 PM
Natalia responds with a smile in turn and says, "Better used...by you." Victor seems like a nice man, nicer than the dwarf who rebuffed them after learning Mithril was a wizard.

After the sale, Natalia says to Mithril, "...Okay."

achinca
2012-09-23, 09:37 AM
Mary

Mary has barely the energy to respond to Miriam, "But, but, ....I love him..."

Forgot I didn't respond to this, my apologies.

Maybe a fade to black with Mary?

Miriam does not respond to Mary. The air in tense between the two women as so much has been learned. She takes the woman's and sit there in silence, starting the slow and painful healing process .....

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-23, 07:08 PM
Natalia would have spoken to Victor, but she's still not too great at talking to strangers, especially without a friend by her side. So instead she offers Victor a smile and then goes to the general store to spend her share of the money. On the way there, Natalia sighs. Mithril left her behind here. She hopes it was just to speed up the shopping so they could get back to Linwood sooner. But still...

Face it Natalia, this isn't just because she's a wizard. Mithril's smart, kind, mostly able to understand you, a wizard, and she's pretty good looking too. Nuts, are you nuts for Mithril?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-23, 08:36 PM
Natalia puts the thought out of her head for the time being and goes to the next shop, the general store. It's tempting to spend all the money here on miscellaneous stuff, but she promised the rest of the group she'd share. So Natalia heads over to the specialized items in the back.

Zman
2012-09-23, 08:39 PM
Hogs Head

A couple of hours had passed since the group had parted, it was now early evening and all six of them had made it back tot he Hogs Head. They were all sitting there eating a hearty stew telling a brisk stoy of their afternoon before settling in for the night.

Go ahead and tell your afternoon story, then well get them to bed and let them wake up and get them back on the road to Linwood.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-23, 08:43 PM
Natalia passes around everyone's share of money, saying, "Tempting, but I resisted," as she does so. She also hands Valen the two vials of Alchemist's fire and the tanglefoot bag she bought at the general store and says, "...Bit heavy for me," with a somewhat embarrassed look. She's sitting next to Mithril, and the now pure-white weasel between them is staining his paws with a chunk of meat.

Miriam seems rather...off. Or is that just her?

Cavelcade
2012-09-24, 05:16 AM
Kurt nods his thanks to natalia, sipping his brew. "It's okay, Natalia, I'd just have had to break your legs if you kept it." Nodding a bit, looking perfectly serious as he takes his next gulp of beer.

achinca
2012-09-24, 06:28 AM
Miriam is totally absent minded as she collect the gold, not even mentioning her intended use for it.

She looks tired and sad and her eyes are really red. She kept starring at her food, without touching it or the drink brought to her.

Any questions asked to her would have to be repeated twice and she seems lost in another place. She will give a force smile and a very curt answer before getting lost back in her thoughts.

If asked about her mood, she will put a sad smile and barely say 'Church business. Not always pleasant'.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 07:49 AM
Natalia doesn't really buy it. "Look like...About to cry," she says as Miriam stares at her food. She's been getting worse and worse all day.

achinca
2012-09-24, 07:59 AM
Miriam puts her hand over her eyes to prevent tears from coming out. After a few deep breath, she looks at Natalia. 'Nothing really. Just some emotional business. Nothing to worry about.'

Athedia
2012-09-24, 08:19 AM
Mithril watched the conversation going on and smiled, the group was back together. No-one had left in the last few hours and, she thought as she snuggled Whiskers closer to her, no-one had died. Whiskers struggled indignantly, all this squeezing was not doing wonders for his image.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 08:22 AM
Natalia gives Miriam a significant look but says nothing about that. Instead, she says, "Maybe...For Hilsfar...Food and family more than gold. Find a place for all kinds." She doubts that distraction will work for whatever's bothering her though.

As Whiskers struggles, Natalia scratches him on his now-white head.

Zman
2012-09-24, 08:31 AM
Taking the gold and potions from Natalia, "Thank you, I'll hold these for you...but don't ,AKE a habit of it..."

Just record what you've given to Valen to hold, I won't record it as he has a ton of unused carrying capacity.

achinca
2012-09-24, 08:47 AM
Miriam shakes her head as if trying to empty it of the thoughts she is holding.

She gets up and speaks in a lowly monotone voice. She puts on a fake smile that even someone with a wisdom lower than Shiny would notice as fake.

'I will retire to bed. Let's make sure that by tomorrow, when every one wakes up, they are fully healed.

She approaches Valen and Kurt, who were the only one hurt in the squirmish with the ogres. She makes sure that all the wounds are cleaned up and changes the bandages if needed.

For the deeper wounds, she channels the power of St. Cuthbert. When she feels that both warriors will be a full strength by morning she stops and wave the group goodbye.

Anyone doing a listen check will hear Miriam crying herself to sleep

Admiral
2012-09-24, 10:19 AM
For roleplay purposes only (you'll see what I mean):
Disguise (including Disguise Self): [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]

ETA: The bluff was meant to be a +9, not a +19, so 14 total

Just as Miriam is about to leave for bed, the door bursts open and a halfling stranger somersaults in. He quickly regains his balance and shuts the door, sliding his back against it and panting while looking around wildly.

Once he sees the warriors start to react to the intrusion, the halfling cowers. "Ahhhh, wait, wait!! It's me, Shiny Shapeshifter, master of disguise and silver speculator!"

Upon looking closer, the party can see that the "halfling" is in fact a cleverly disguised gnome, and a familar one at that. He's somehow hidden his beard and changed his skin tone, probably using a magical illusion, but there's no mistaking Shiny.

achinca
2012-09-24, 10:43 AM
Miriam reacts to the perceived intruder with fierce anger. She raises shield and mace and seems ready to hit as if she could use the violence as therapy.

Once she realizes it is Shiny, she drops down her shield and mace and looks empty again. 'Good night Shiny Storyteller' and she goes to her room.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 11:34 AM
Natalia just stares blankly at Shiny and shakes her head. "...Not even asking."

In their room, Natalia looks over at Miriam, who's staring blankly at the wall. "...Lying," she says. "More than that." It's probably got something to do with this poison in her. But... "...Tell when ready."

Athedia
2012-09-24, 12:52 PM
Mithril raised an eyebrow at Shiny's entrance, but decided to process it tomorrow. She was to tired to think about it now. As the group went to sleep, Whiskers slipped out of her now relaxed arms and curled up near Miriam's head. He had done so when Mithril's eyes had leaked and it had helped her.

achinca
2012-09-24, 12:56 PM
Miriam feels the fury thing next to her head and she opens her red eyes. Sensing that Mithril's familiar is showing empathy, Miriam caresses his fur, whispering 'Thank you .....'

She keeps petting the white weasel until he falls asleep.

She thinks 'remember, these are good people. Not everyone is like Him ....'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 01:09 PM
Natalia curls up under the blankets that she would kick off halfway through the night. She has the distinct feeling that when Miriam finally lets loose, it's not going to be pretty. Somewhat uneasily, Natalia eventually drifts off to sleep.

Spun straw gold bending in the breeze broken by stringy black

"Natalia...I..."

"...Wait...I..."

"Natalia...Nuts."

"..."

alone

Natalia rolls over, her arm falling off the mattress, her fingertips just scraping the floor.

achinca
2012-09-24, 01:38 PM
Exhausted, Miriam finally falls asleep .....

She is standing alone in a circular room, just wearing her under garments. Sitting on a high chair is Calric, holding a powerful mace in his hand. Mary is chained at the bottom of the chair, breast feeding a child.

'So simple farm girl who knows nothing, what did you expect? You always been to dense to understand anything. I tried to teach you but you would never listen. You were my worst one. You could not even give me a son and let's not talk about your bedroom performance.. Now Mary, she was something ....'

'But ... but ..'

'But What? Listen, you are a simple farm girl who knows nothing and will obey me, your elder who knows. Understood?'

At that moment, Calric moves the powerful looking mace and a bunch of pint-sized Calric appear and point at her, mocking her and calling her names.

'So simple farm girl who knows nothing, do you understand?

'Yes Master'

'That's better. Now you feed that reject of mine to the ogre.'

The mini-Calrics rip her son from Mary and brings him to Miriam as a giant bloody Ogre head appears.

"FEED IT"

Miriam wakes up screaming 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'.

She is all covered sweat, shaking violently breathing loudly and with difficulty.

She looks around at her friends 'Sorry .... bad .. dream ....'

Mirima rolls into the blanket and curls into a fetus position. She keeps repeating 'I will not do it. I will save him. I will not do it. I will save him. I will not do it. I will save him ..."

Zman
2012-09-24, 02:38 PM
As Shiny burst through the door, Valen looks at him crossly, then turns and slugs Kurt on his good shoulder..."Told you it'd be a lynch mob."

Valen thanks Miriam for her kind hand, Watching Miriam go up to bed, Valen felt for her. Through his tough exterior he did not like to see anyone hurt, especially a woman.... Poor thing...hurting so... his sentiment is redoubled when she wakes from her night terror.

Admiral
2012-09-24, 02:41 PM
Once Shiny calms down, and spends a couple of minutes staring out the window, he finally flops onto a bed and goes to sleep.

To all external appearances, his sleep is perfectly peaceful and untroubled, free of the guilt or torment that afflicts the others in his party. But when it comes to Shiny, appearances can be deceiving.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 04:33 PM
Natalia responds to Miriam's night terror by rolling over, and dragging half the blanket with her.

Cavelcade
2012-09-24, 04:40 PM
Kurt just shrugs and flicks a copper to Valen. "Sometimes, you lose." The dwarf take a long hard look at Miriam, but the words get jumbled together in his throat and almost choke him when he tries to speak up. He gives her shoulder a light squeeze as he steps past her to go to bed.

achinca
2012-09-24, 04:58 PM
Miriam tries to fall back asleep but she cannot.

Natalia has stolen more than her share of the blanket so she decides to get up and pray.

She goes into a corner and kneels. 'St. Cuthbert, I humbly asks you to give me a sign. I have learned horrible things done by one of your priests. I need to know why you allowed it and why you did not stop it. I feel empty inside. I need to feel your love St. Cuthbert. I need to know that you will not stand for chaos and injustice. Give me a sign. Talk to me. Please, I beg you. I am becoming a lost sheep.

After that she goes through her usual set of prayers, holding her holy symbol tighter than usual.

When she is done with her prayers, she looks at her sleeping friends:
- Natalia, so smart and yet so unsecure about what she can do
- Mithril, so naïve and so serene at the same time, a breath of goodness
- Kurt, the quiet dwarf with the gruff outside and the heart of gold
- Shiny, the mysterious gnome whose life is much more complicated than he pretend it is.
- Valen, the mysterious warrior and sorcerer who does not share his thoughts and does not seem to care but has always been there when needed.

Yes, I am indeed lucky. These are good people. When ready, they will listen.

When Kurt wakes up, she approaches him and give him the same gentle squeeze he gave her and with an honest smile, simply says thank you kind Sir Dwarf.

Cavelcade
2012-09-24, 05:42 PM
He smiles and gives her hand a squeeze, nodding at her as he shakes the sleep out of his eyes. "That's the expression I like to see, Miriam."

achinca
2012-09-24, 05:43 PM
She nods back thinking 'Yes, these are good folks ....'

Athedia
2012-09-24, 11:27 PM
Mithril hears Miriam's night terrors as part of a dream.
She is entering Linwood, weary and missing her companions. All she can see are the burnt husks of the buildings and bloody remains of the former villagers. The scream echoes in voices of the not yet dead.
Then a nicer dream takes over, Whiskers glows, lighting the path through a dungeon. When a skeleton comes to life to try to attack the group, he charges and bites at it, crumbling the bones to dust.

The next morning Mithril awoke, the dreams already fading into memory. She moved carefully so as to not disturb Natalia, and noticed Miriam talking to Kurt. Trying to be silent she picked up her spellbook and went to study in a corner. Which of my new spells should I pick? I don't want to run into ogres unprepared again

Level 0:
Light
Flare
Flare
Mage Hand

Level 1:
Mage Armor
Magic Missile
Magic Missile

Level 2:
Melf's Acid Arrow
Melf's Acid Arrow

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-24, 11:31 PM
Natalia yawns and stretches awake. Pulling on her armor and checking to make sure that all her weapons are in good condition, she rubs the sleep from her eyes and walks over to Mithril, looking over her shoulder as she prepares the spells. "...New ones?" she eventually asks, noticing that the writing in the spellbook is fresh and different.

Natalia looks over at Miriam, who seems tired and weary. "...Okay...for the day?" she asks, not sure if even that could be entirely true.

Admiral
2012-09-24, 11:46 PM
Shiny awakens into a stretch, and immediately rolls off his bed. As usual for the morning, he is overflowing with energy.

"City to save- let's get moving!"

Shiny is still interested in carrying out the warmongering plan, even though they don't have the official backing of Hulburg.

achinca
2012-09-25, 06:10 AM
Miriam gives a tired smile to Natalia 'Yeah ..... I am fine .... being on the road will do me some good .... Let's go back to Linwood ....'

Her face looks aged as if she is carrying the weight of the world.

Athedia
2012-09-25, 07:32 AM
"Let us hope we took care of the last of the ogres." Mithril looked at Miriam who didn't seem to have slept well. Mistaking her expression for worrying about Linwood, she tried to reassure her "Don't worry Miriam, we will make it back in time." Gathering up her things, and reattaching Whisker's collar she waited by the door to the room, eager to head out.

achinca
2012-09-25, 07:45 AM
Miriam forces another smile for Mithril, each smile costing more energy.

She pulls out a piece of dried meat that she offers to Whiskers. 'You have a good familiar.'

She pets the weasel 'Thanks for last night. I needed it.'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-25, 07:51 AM
Looking at Shiny, Natalia says, "Fewer soldiers, more stealth."

Miriam doesn't look any better. Natalia walks over and hugs her from behind, burying her face in her shoulder. "Just...Drain brewing poison inside...let...let it out," she says.

achinca
2012-09-25, 08:03 AM
Miriam closes her eyes as she feels the empathy that Natalia is given her. She makes no effort to break the hug, enjoying each single precious seconds.

When Natalia lets her go, she turns around and smiles 'Thank you. I will. I will talk.... One day..... Just not now....'

She looks at the rest of the group: "To Linwood?'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-25, 08:18 AM
Natalia nods and collects her weapons. "When ready."

Cavelcade
2012-09-25, 08:27 AM
Kurt just nods, already having prepared himself to hit the road early. "As Shiny says, we've got work to do."

Zman
2012-09-25, 11:20 AM
"Agreed, we should move out. There is no reason to delay."

The party gathers their gear and moves to the stables to fetch their horses.

Last chance to do something in Hulburg before leaving.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-25, 11:34 AM
After double-checking to make sure she has everything, Natalia goes to the stables. She asks Valen, "Allies coming, right?"

I think we're good. Is there anything we forgot about?

achinca
2012-09-25, 12:52 PM
Miriam climbs on her horse ready to go.

She cannot wait to get the hell out of Dodge

Cavelcade
2012-09-25, 04:14 PM
Kurt climbs up and this time pulls Shiny up beside him. "This time, I'm in charge of the horse."

Zman
2012-09-25, 07:12 PM
As the group prepares to depart they look off towards the barracks and see Lt Arnot inspecting the dozen men that Hulburg is answering the calls of Linwood with. Only the Seargent has a horse, though all of the men look capable and well armed.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-25, 09:23 PM
"Slow up, keep up," she says to Valen. "If he says."

achinca
2012-09-26, 09:25 AM
Miriam looks at the forces assembled and volunteers in a weak voice 'Let's bring this force to Linwood in one peace and see what the situation is there before we plan our next move ....'

She will go at the pace of the soldiers.

Zman
2012-09-26, 05:47 PM
"Agreed, it may be in everyone's best interest if we arrive in advance of the Hulburg...forces..." Valen winces at calling a palty dozen men a force.

Pathetic... they send us for aid and we bring what? A dozen men...

Advancing us to the road by th end of the night. If there any objections or other plans please speak now or forever hold your peace.

achinca
2012-09-26, 06:25 PM
Miriam's eyes empty after she speaks and when Valen announces a different plan, she nods 'Great plan. Let's go!'

She will ride in silence, lost in her thoughts, sometimes biting her lower lip to avoid crying.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-26, 06:29 PM
Natalia looks over the lieutenant and soldiers, to see what they're equipped with. "...Thanks," she says.

Zman
2012-09-26, 06:38 PM
The soldiers of Hulburg, the , are all dressed on matching garb that puts the pitiful militia of Linwood to shame. Each man carries a used, but well cared for set of chain shirts over a faded red tunic, a large metal shield with the red crest of the Hulmasters on it. Each carries either a long sword, mace, or flail at their hip. Half carry long bows on their backs. The Seargent and leaders gear is better tended and of higher quality and he has earned the addition of a worn half cloak over his left shoulder.

Lt. Arnot is wearing his polished half plate of the same theme.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-26, 06:41 PM
Heh, there's a pretty big difference between the polished soldiers and the motley crew to which she belongs. Heck, Valen's near-naked like always. But then again, she supposes efficiency and ability trump appearance. These men are obviously capable, much better at fighting than her. If only Shiny had made a better impression with the captain...But she can't blame him too much; if he did that badly, then anyone else trying would have had catastrophic results.

Cavelcade
2012-09-27, 04:33 AM
Kurt nods to himself as he and Shiny set off together. These really are fighting men - and hopefully they can help shape the more shoddy militia into fighting men. Give them that and some good walls and they might have a chance.

Zman
2012-09-27, 10:53 AM
With a nod from Lt. Arnot the group sets off easily outpacing the footslogging fighting men of Hulburg. It's a crisp morning, slightly colder than the warm stretch of weather that they had seen before. If they hurry they can make it back by the fourth day. The soldiers won't make it to Linwood till the fifth evening after the Orc raid.

Are you splitting off and going ahead of the soldiers?

You will reach Linwood a half day earlier, a full day if you push the horses.

achinca
2012-09-27, 11:16 AM
Miriam asks to no one in particular, with that monotonous voice she has had since last night 'Shall we go ahead and reach Linwood before the forces to tell them the good news? I can heal the horses while in Linwood...'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 02:01 PM
Natalia nods and says, "Time to plan."

Zman
2012-09-27, 02:25 PM
The group sets off, moving ahead of the soldiers and attempting to make it to Linwood in haste...

As the group makes their way Mithril, then Valen notice more Ogres. There are five Ogres, all wearing armor and led by a particularly fierce looking Ogre. They closely rse,ble the Ogres from the previous day, thick forms with mangled hair and squat noses. They are barely 150' away and seemingly unaware aware of the group. It looks as if they were planning am ambush of the road.

Natalia can hear something off in the distance, which is the same direction as Valen and Mithril are looking. It sounded like a crash and a grunt.

[roll0]
Spot check
Miriam[roll1]
Kurt[roll2]
Shiny[roll3]
Natalia[roll4]
Mithril[roll5]
Valen[roll6]

Listen check
Miriam[roll7]
Kurt[roll8]
Shiny[roll9]
Natalia[roll10]
Mithril[roll11]
Valen[roll12]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 03:38 PM
Natalia whips her head around the moment she heads the noise. "See what?" she whispers to Mithril and Valen, who are staring at the same location.

achinca
2012-09-27, 03:46 PM
Miriam does not hear nor see anything. She sees Mithril and Valen looking towards a direction. She says 'What is going on?'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 03:48 PM
"Crash, probably ogres," she whispers, making sure her crossbows are both loaded.

achinca
2012-09-27, 03:50 PM
Miriam's concentration suddenly increases and a focus look appears on her face. Silently, she loads her crossbow. It seems that for the first time she is looking forward to the fight.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 03:52 PM
Natalia watches the cleric with a concerned look on her face. What happened to the gentle Miriam? This Miriam looks like she wants to make something hurt.

achinca
2012-09-27, 03:58 PM
Miriam's is getting more ferocious as she suddenly speaks 'Before we engage them, let me bring you the blessing of St. Cuthbert. It will make your aim more true. Also, she looks at Valen and Kurt, with an wicked smile on her face, I can make one of you a huge monster. I can enlarge your size and give you the strength of a bull. With your barbaric rage, you will cut these monsters to pieces in no time.'

She smiles at the thought before adding 'They deserve it. For Mary's son!'

Athedia
2012-09-27, 04:35 PM
Mithril gulped, at the moment she was unsure if she was more afraid of the ogres or Miriam. "Mary's son?" She shrugged it off, maybe it was some part of the St. Cuthbert followers beliefs, so many gods had stories of offspring it was hard to tell them apart at times. "It is ogres, four like the ones from before and one that looks meaner than the rest. I can hit one from here, but it would alert the others to our presence." She reached behind her to put Whisker's on her shoulder, his white fur in stark contrast against her hair.

Cavelcade
2012-09-27, 05:06 PM
Kurt blinks, coming back to reality from the visions of the walls and towers and plans for the town that had been circling in his head while he rode, controlling the horse without much consideration until the Ogres are brought to his attention.

"We should attack, then the soldiers can join in if there's any left." He loads his crossbow, while getting his axe ready to be drawn quickly. "Could we all shoot at the same one? and then Miriam make one of us big." He grins at Valen.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 06:14 PM
Natalia looks at Miriam with alarm. "You...Want them to hurt...Because you want them to hurt?!" What the hell happened to her overnight?!

"...Mary's son?"

achinca
2012-09-27, 06:19 PM
Miriam takes a deep breath and looks at Mithril and Natalia 'They are Chaos and Evil. St. Cuthbert is against Chaos and Evil.'

She takes a deep breath, as she pushing away opposite thoughts going through her head.

'Mary's son? Will talk later after Linwood if needed.'

She looks at Kurt and Valen 'Which one will be the Mace of St. Cuthbert?'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 06:22 PM
"Attack to defend...Not...Not to see them hurt. No...No better than them!" Natalia says quietly as she shakes her head. This is starting to scare her; Miriam isn't acting like herself at all. Unless...

She moves her arms and crossbow up in a defensive gesture. "Under a spell?" Natalia looks to Shiny; he would be able to tell; he puts everyone under spells.

Cavelcade
2012-09-27, 06:32 PM
Kurt edges his mount over to Natalia, leaning down to speak. "She is hurting Natalia but uh..." He glances down the road, "Right this minute is not the best time, I think..."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 06:34 PM
Natalia nods but glances sideways at Miriam the whole time. "Could be hurting other...like she's hurt, but..." Yesterday the poison made her bitter and hateful to herself, not others. "Maybe...Spreading infection." Regardless, Natalia has more than a few questions to ask Miriam.

achinca
2012-09-27, 06:46 PM
Miriam laughs a cynical laugh. "Under a spell? I wish I could just dispel it. No worry. It is the wish of the gods. And St. Cuthbert .... well whatever! The ogres die and we move on!'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 06:55 PM
"What...do you...want dead?" Natalia asks, still unconvinced that she's not under some sort of magical compulsion.

Zman
2012-09-27, 09:05 PM
Valen sits atop his steed, looking at the Ogres in the distence. He crosses his arms and mutters in Draconic as he renews his arcane protections which he continues strengthening them to their fullest.

He answers Miriam cooly while returning the smile of the Dwarf, "Make the dwarf bigger, I've heard enough about their small stature..."

Cast Mage Armor, then next round Shield

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 09:11 PM
Natalia swallows and says, "...Group aiming first, then...Big dwarf...Heh, big dwarf." But that doesn't do much to dispel her nervousness. Turning to Valen and Kurt, she asks, "Retreat if dangerous? So many..."

achinca
2012-09-27, 10:32 PM
Miriam looks at Valen and Kurt. "I could make myself big and help you flank them and give them a target to hit ..... and send them to the hell where they belong.'

There is no sign of worry or sense of danger in her eyes.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-27, 10:36 PM
"And the smashing?" Natalia asks, remembering the sickening crunch of their bones.

Miriam's so...so full of hate. What's going to happen after the ogres are dead? Who will she turn on next?

Athedia
2012-09-28, 12:08 AM
Mithril shifted nervously "Do you want me to send a spell their way? While you enlarge Kurt that is. I mean it will still take them some time to reach us and the spell will hit." She tried not to look Miriam in the eye. The woman seemed almost hysterical with hate and Mithril did not want to direct the anger toward herself.

Cavelcade
2012-09-28, 05:00 AM
Kurt slides off his horse, nodding at Valen and Miriam. "We all aim at the big mean one, shoot and then you can make me big, Miriam. I'll take the hits." He plants his axe in the earth before him, taking aim then. "If it's to be done, we'd better do it now, before they see us."

Cavelcade
2012-09-28, 07:42 AM
Kurt grins a little then, as he sees one of the Ogres spot them.

"Too late to turn back." With that, he shoots the first bolt from his crossbow, aiming at the big ugly looking one, quickly leaning over to reload then.

[roll0] Attack 16
[roll1] Crit 26
[roll2] Damage

Edit: Sigh, and it would have hit for max damage AND had a chance for critical if only attack and crit were reversed. As it is, I think it's going to miss. :( Unless flat-footedness catches them!

Zman
2012-09-28, 08:01 AM
As the first Ogre turned to notice the party, Kurt l
Squeezes his hair trigger, sending a bolt of death off at just the fight second, catching the Orge Leader squarely in the ribs, a loud road before it turns and begins quickly moving towards the party sounding a stampede from the Other Ogres.

You picked the only Ogre in Leather Armor since he is a ranger and isn't wearing Medium armor.

And with Bless, its a moot point.

Map in Signature

Valen Shields himself.

Valen slips off his horse, slapping it's haunches with his Greatsword as he draws it, sending the beast to safety. He then reinforces his arcane protections as he steps forward to help stem the oncoming tide.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-28, 08:07 AM
With a nervous swallow, Natalia aims her crossbow at the charging ogre...

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Of course it missed. Why should she have expected anything else? Natalia gets off the horse and draws her weapons, though she keeps it close for when they inevitably have to run for their lives. Assuming they aren't killed first.

achinca
2012-09-28, 08:18 AM
Miriam jump off her horse and puts her hand on Kurt. St. Cuthbert, give me the power to make this Dwarf an agent of you, a Mace of the gods!'

Holding her holy symbol, her hand shines has Kurt significantly increases in size.

Bless: Round 2/30
Enlarge Kurt: Round 1/30

Cavelcade
2012-09-28, 08:47 AM
Kurt drops his loaded crossbow on the ground grabbing hold of his axe as he enlarges, roaring at the approaching Ogres as he grows to practically match their size.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-28, 11:44 AM
Natalia's eyes widen and she steps back as Kurt doubles or triples in size. There's so much rage in her...

Zman
2012-09-28, 04:34 PM
Valen looks at the giant Dwarf, "That'll do, that'll do."

Admiral
2012-09-28, 05:18 PM
The ogres are still out of range of any enchantment, so Shiny draws his crossbow and fires.

Attack (not including range increment): [roll0]
Confirm crit: [roll1]

The bolt flops off of Shiny's crossbow in a pathetic misfire, and lands two feet on the ground in front of him.

Shiny puts his hand above his eyes as shade. "Did I hit 'em?"

Zman
2012-09-28, 05:44 PM
Ogres

The horde of Ogres advance cautiously, each have drawn their huge javelins as they advance. The sheer bulk of the Ogres works against them as they are forced to move around each other to attack their smaller foes. Though that same bulk and size is what gives them a deadly reach.

They have all double moved. Remember the reach of the Ogres.

The Leader has his Club already out, the other four have their Javelins as they could not capitalize on the same speed as their leader and plan on throwing their ranged weapon before drawing their massive clubs.

At least Kurt gets to fight on equal footing!

Zman
2012-09-28, 05:47 PM
Valen stares at the the advancing Ogres... holding his blade strong, not wanting to advance into certain death he bides his time for the opportunity to strike...

Engines of death...

Valen Delays unil the Ogre leader acts, joining the other Initiative group. Looking for a 5' step and attack, instead of a charge and AoO into certain death.

achinca
2012-09-28, 06:06 PM
Miriam puts her hand on Valen's naked back. "St. Cuthbert, fill that warrior of the strength of justice and goodness and the end of chaos. Create another Mace of the gods.'

Her hand shines again and Valen suddenly feels stronger than he ever felt without raging.

Round 3:
Bull Strength Valen: 1/30
Bless All: Round 3/30
Enlarge Kurt: Round 2/30

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-28, 06:17 PM
Natalia makes an odd high-pitched groaning noise as the ogres approach and Shiny's bolt misses as well.

Athedia
2012-09-28, 07:48 PM
Mithril slid down from her horse and turned around in time to see the ogre's leader charging. Hurriedly she cast one of her new spells at the creature, watching a green bolt exit her palm and fly toward the ogre.

Ranged touch attack but I don't know their touch AC. The SRD says it is 8 so I will use that.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Acid will last 1 more turn, doing 2d4 damage again.

Seeing the acid hit, she brightened. Maybe they would be able to kill these ogres.

Cavelcade
2012-09-28, 08:09 PM
Kurt settles himself a bit, laughing and beckoning to the Ogre Leader, hefting his axe threateningly.

Readies an action to attack as soon as one comes in range.

Zman
2012-09-28, 08:15 PM
Ogre Leader

The massive brute falls for the now large Dwarf's taunts, their natural hatred coming through as he drops his javeling and pulls out his massive greatclub as he charges the readied Dwarf.... As the Giant nears Kurts axe hits true, catching the Giant just above the knee as even enlarged, the Dwarf is barely taller than an average man. As the greatclub comes down, Kurt's natural skill against Giants saves his hide...

Kurt AoO
AoO[roll0] vs AC 13
Damage[roll1]

If he is still on his feet
Charge![roll2] vs AC 19 Seriously, a 3!
Damage[roll3]

Zman
2012-09-28, 08:23 PM
Valen

Valen steps forward and attempts to finish the Ogre off, taking advantage of its traded blows with Kurt... Valen brings his blade in a grand upward sweep, splitting the giant from stem to sternum...

5' step
Attack [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Miriam steps up behind Valen to bolster his strength as she mutters a prayer to Saint Cuthbert.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-28, 08:32 PM
Bolstered by how quickly Kurt, Mithril, and Valen killed the first ogre (though more than a bit squicked by the gore of Valen's killing blow), Natalia reloads and shoots her crossbow, attempting to contribute to the fight however she can.

Crit confirm: [roll1]

The crossbow bolt slams into the ogre's shoulder, though unfortunately not deep enough to significantly hinder its movements.

Athedia
2012-09-28, 09:30 PM
Mithril slightly cursed the fact the ogre leader had gone down so fast. She hadn't been able to see the full effects of her spell. Then she remembered what they where facing and hurriedly sent off another bolt at the farthest ogre. Maybe this time she would see what the text had meant by "lingering effects".

Casts at Ogre 4 (within range)
Attack [roll0] vs AC 8
Damage [roll1]

next turn 2d4 more damage done to ogre 4 (if this hits)

Her hand shook as she sent the bolt off and it wobbled a little in it's path, almost veering off. But the bolt managed to right itself and to Mithril's relief it sped into the side of the ogre in the back of the group.

Admiral
2012-09-28, 09:35 PM
Shiny winds up and casts sleep, aimed right at the ogre in the front of the advancing gang. Perhaps if he dropped, he would be in the way of the others charging.

Will save DC 15: [roll0]

Even if he makes the save, he'll be Unsettling Enchanted: -2 to attacks and AC for one round.

Zman
2012-09-28, 10:16 PM
Ogres

Two of the Ogres throw their Javelins, one at Kurt, the other at Miriam before moving up at drawing their great clubs, preparing for a devastating charge... one inbeds itself at Miriam's feet, but the other hits Kurts enlarged form right through the guts inflicting an impressive amount of damage as the point of the javelin can be seen protruding from his behind his floating ribs, a deep scarlet begins to stream to the ground...

The third moves up, smacking the sleeping Ogre in the head and waking him as he draws his own club opting to wake his unconscious brethren instead of throwing his Javelin...

The Sleeping Ogre wakes in time to stand up and throw a javelin at Shiny in response to his arcane gestures... but thinks surprisingly clearly as he instead whips it at the naked Valen... but Valen is nimble enough on his feet to avoid the blow the javeling glancing off of the arcane protections around him harmlessly...

Attacks made with a -2 Range Increment included
Vs Kurt AC:19 [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Vs Miriam AC:17 [roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Vs Valen AC:20 [roll4]
Damage[roll5]

Nice sleep spell, had that not worked this round could have been very very ugly.

And look at those damage rolls!

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-28, 10:37 PM
Natalia gasps as the javelin pieces Kurt nearly a foot deep. Frantically, she looks towards Miriam, wondering if the shadow over her has descended too far to help Kurt...

She also calculates to see if she can reach one of the ogres in melee in the next couple of seconds.

achinca
2012-09-29, 07:23 AM
Miriam wants to go and hurt the ogre but she sees the crimson pool at the feet of Kurt. 'Keep the maces of the gods alive ......' is a voice she hears in head. "The kills will come ....'

Reluctantly, she puts her hand on Kurt while clinging to her holy symbol 'St. Cuthbert, let your divine magic infuse your Mace of the gods with heal to help it to continue your work.'

Drop hold person (useless L2 spell against monsters" for a CMW on Kurt

[roll0]

Miriam smiles as Kurt's enlarged body heals perfectly and rejects the protruding javelin but her eyes are still looking for blood.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 08:57 AM
As the ogres come closer, Natalia reloads her crossbow and shoots at the nearest one, hoping to soften them up slightly so Kurt and Valen can go in for the kill. There's still a bit too far away and a bit too large for Natalia to want to take them on without any magical enhancement like Miriam gave to the two barbarians.

Yes! It hit the first ogre because of Unsettling Enchantment, which combined with the +4 AC from cover makes the ogre's AC 18.

The bolt shoots past Kurt and cuts deeply into the first ogre's face.

Cavelcade
2012-09-29, 04:23 PM
Kurt grins, then, a booming laugh echoing from him as he advances to the Ogre in the lead on the road, not able to get a good charge up with those people around him. Still, as he advances he feels the rage building, right before he strikes the first ogre he lets out a roar of pure rage, pulling down in a vicious overhanded strike.

Rage:
Power attack: -1 + 2
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit
[roll2] Damage Should have another +2 from power attack, so: Damage=20

Zman
2012-09-29, 04:57 PM
Seeing the now massive Kurt trading blows with the Ogre, Valen begins moving in a reckless pace powered by Miriam's divine energies...

Valen skirts around Kurt's melee to enter into his own dance of death with another Ogre.... Dodging one blow Valen deftly brings his blade deeply into the Ogre's side, nearly felling it in one blow.

Ogre AoO
AoO vs AC:22 [roll0] Close!
Damage[roll1]

Whirling Frenzy 1/5 Bull's Strength 1/30
Once in range(Assuming not Crit and Instant death)
Power Attack(-2/+4)[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Miriam follows behind Kurt, protecting the Juggernaught of Saint Cuthburt.
Miriam moved along to maintain initiative order.

Admiral
2012-09-29, 05:38 PM
Shiny darts forward when he sees the warriors in battle with the pair of ogres. The ogres are injured, but it's time to take one out of the picture.

He splays his hand forward and casts a wave of colors over the ogre in front of Kurt.

I think I can get this one without getting Kurt, yeah?

DC 15 Will save: [roll0]

Zman
2012-09-29, 05:49 PM
Mithril

Seeing the battle turning in their favor, Mirthril reaches out her had, finers splayed as she mutters an incantation, her words flow perfectly from years of practice. Though with that practice came the ability to infuse her words with more arcane energy than she had ever before... Two brilliant white projectiles of pure force fly out and crash into the wounded Ogre toppling it...

Mithril Casts Magic Missile at O2
Damage[roll0]

I changed her requested action to something more effective given the turn of events.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 05:53 PM
Natalia cheers as Shiny perfectly aims his spell to cripple the ogre and Mithril rippling words manifest into two small deadly spheres of energy that strike the other ogre between the eyes.

Natalia flips the shortsword's hilt in her hand, ready to leap into the fray. They can do this.

Zman
2012-09-29, 05:58 PM
Ogres

The two standing Ogres let out their bellowing roars as they engage the Fray...

The first steps up and around his fallen comrade to bring his gread club down upon the enlarged Kurt.... a thunder sounds of club breaking ribs can be heard as the Ogre's mighty blow hits home...

The Other pulls out his Great club with a smile as he eyes the mind trickster, a hated little gnome... as the massive weapons smashes the ground it does not find its mark...only the gnomes racial instincts regarding giants kept Shiny from being nothing but smashed corpse filling a hole in the ground...

Both Ogres move up, neither can charge, neither provoke an AoO.

VS Kurt AC19 [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

VS Shiny AC21 [roll2]
Damage[roll3]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 06:04 PM
Seeing and hearing Kurt so badly hurt, and seeing Mithril's magic, Natalia rushes into the fray, bringing her two blades down upon the ogre Shiny crippled with his magic, hoping to bring it down before the spell wears off.

Damage: [roll2] plus Sneak Attack [roll3]

Attack: [roll4]
Crit confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] plus Sneak Attack [roll7]

...Holy ****. Critical hit. Max damage. Talk about overkill!

I don't know if I can do the second attack in this round, but I don't think it really matters at this point.

Natalia leaps up in the air, then strikes with all her might. As she falls upon the ogre, her fluttering hair and coattails and the outstretched shining blades give the impression of a swift and deadly falcon, diving in for the kill. The analogy is an apt one, as her rapier finds its mark and sinks in deep into the ogre's flesh, easily piercing its heart. Natalia lands on the ground with her blades in hand as the ogre topples over behind her.

Zman
2012-09-29, 06:12 PM
As the nimble human girls moves to attack the fallen Ogre, one of its brethren whips its massive club at her trying to prevent her strike... the club connects with its target, but does not prefent Natalia from slitting the throat of the downed Ogre...

AoO From O2 Vs Natalia AC18
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Natalia takes 12 Damage

Also, since you are moving, you can only attack with one weapon, not both. Only get all of your attacks on a full attack which includes two weapon fighting.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 06:16 PM
Though the ogre's club knocks Natalia into the air, and hurts (Natalia can't remember if she'd ever been hurt so badly before), she is able to recover. In fact, the ogre actually sent the rogue flying in the direction of the its stunned ally, and she uses that...unwanted boost to add momentum to her attack.

Zman
2012-09-29, 06:18 PM
Valen whips his blade around in a vicious and quick mannor after he sees the huge club launch the tiny Natalia into the air... it was a fatal mistake, turning its head to attack Natalia allowed Valen in his divine powered Strength and Frenzy to sever it painting the ground red...

Whirling Frenzy 2/5 Bull's Strength 2/30
Power Attack(-2/+4)[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Power Attack(-2/+4)[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Cavelcade
2012-09-29, 06:19 PM
Kurt shakes off the effects of the blow, laughing at the pain as he returns the favour.

[roll0] Attack Forgot about bless so that's actually 14 - and a hit, I think?
[roll1] Crit
[roll2] Damage

Zman
2012-09-29, 06:22 PM
Kurt swing but his great axe meets only air....

He is AC 16

Athedia
2012-09-29, 07:00 PM
Mithril grinned. Her teacher's had been right, practice did improve ones magic. Liking the effect the last missile had upon encountering the ogre she decided to send another. Twin orbs burst forward yet again, racing and striking the last ogre, barely visible from her vantage point.

Hehe she is so way behind the group right now, but within 130ft of the ogre.

Damage [roll0]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 07:08 PM
Panting for breath as the ogre's blow catches up with her, Natalia sees a quick flash of light as two more of Mithril's magic missiles strike the ogre. She turns back and flashes her friend a grin that she hopefully spots from that far away.

Did she see my strike? I still can't believe I managed to pull that off. I hope she saw me...

Zman
2012-09-29, 07:14 PM
The Ogre engaged with Kurt takes an opportunity to strike at the young rogue.... his attack missing its mark...

Natalia is now in a square that had to have provoked an AoO from O3, I don't know how she moved over....

AoO vs Natalia AC19[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Zman
2012-09-29, 08:52 PM
Miriam

Seeing her friends wounded, Miriam raises her mace and brings her vengeance down upon the Ogre...

Attack [roll0]
Damage[roll1]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 09:04 PM
Still trying to catch her breath, Natalia watches as Miriam runs up and smashes her mace into the ogre's calf.

"What...Happened to healer Miriam?" she can't help but ask, though it's a somewhat selfish thought.

Admiral
2012-09-29, 10:26 PM
Shiny leans back into another windup before twisting his hands in his usual arcane gestures, pointing this spell at the last standing ogre.

Casting sleep so it hits only O3, the last one standing.

Will save DC 15: [roll0]

The ogre succumbs to the spell and falls to the ground, fast asleep.

As soon as the ogre falls, Shiny holds up his hand. "Don't kill him!" he says in a harsh voice that's still low enough not to wake the sleeping giant. "This is our chance for deception."

Zman
2012-09-29, 10:54 PM
Trying to calm himself out of his frenzy, Valen grits his teeth a look of utter clarity, "What if he deserves it?"

Filthy creatures...it'd be much safer if they were simply gone....

It takes a few moments, but the look of determination fades from Valens face, "Haha..maybe you are right, he may be more useful that way."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 10:58 PM
Natalia looks at Shiny and asks, "And...Communication?"
Her side is hurting worse; the ogre's attack must have torn something internal. She clutches her solar plexus with a whimper.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-29, 11:23 PM
Still wincing every few steps (something's almost certainly bleeding inside; she'd never been hurt so badly before. And Miriam's right there...what happened to her?), Natalia thoroughly searches the sleeping ogre, trying to plug her nose at the stench, then ties him up. After that, she goes to search the other ogres.

She holds up what she finds, gold, gems, and two healing potions, along with their clubs and armor, with a smile.

Athedia
2012-09-30, 12:46 AM
Once Mithril saw the last ogre fall she jogged up to the rest of the group. "We actually did it again! The soldiers will definitely listen to us now!" Seeing Natalia's injury she tried to convince her to sit down so someone could look and make sure no ribs were broken. To afraid to ask Miriam she quietly tried to check herself.

Heal Check [roll0]

She quickly stopped when she realized that she could not remember what a normal rib should feel like, or where they ended. Instead she settled for trying to distract Natalia from the pain. "Hey Natalia, I know you like flying. But next time you want to attack like that, could you jump from a tree?"

Cavelcade
2012-09-30, 06:54 AM
Kurt hefts his axe upwards for a moment as the Ogre falls, prepared to disconnect his neck from his body before he realises everyone else has stopped. Then he relaxes instead, leaning on his enlarged axe and panting a little, shaking his head a bit as he still sees starts from the blow of the ogre.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 09:12 AM
Natalia looks at Mithril, and then starts giggling. It doesn't hurt much more than it already did, so her ribs are probably okay. "An unasked boost," she says with a grin on her face.

Admiral
2012-09-30, 10:56 AM
Shiny scratches his head while looking at the gently sleeping ogre. "Someone should probably tie this one up."

He then starts mumbling to himself in an unusually guttural voice. Anyone who listens closely might notice he is practicing verb conjugations in Giant.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 11:01 AM
"Already done," Natalia says as she finishes the last knots. She then looks at Miram.

achinca
2012-09-30, 11:06 AM
Miriam hits the ogre but her frustration does not go down.

She sees it falls asleep due to Shiny's spell.

She stops and looks around. Kurt and Natalia are hurt but not in immediate danger. The ogres are dead except for one. 'Let's correct that' she says out loud.

She raises her mace, ready to crush the heard of the sleeping ogre. When it is time to pull it down, she hesitates 'You never killed anything and your first would be a defenseless sleeping monster? Are you that far gone?'

She hesitates, the mace vacillating as she breathes loudly, fighting an inner war.

She finally throws away her mace and her shield and screams "AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, you are so freaking useless ........" She throws away her shield and her helmet before going to sit by a tree, burying her face in her hands as she starts sobbing uncontrollably.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 11:09 AM
Hearing Miriam's tortured scream, Natalia scrambles over to the cleric. Gingerly embracing her, trying not to put too much pressure on her injury, Natalia says, "Not useless. Saved us...Fight the poison before...before it kills you."

Athedia
2012-09-30, 11:11 AM
Mithril was shaken by what had just happened. She didn't know who Miriam was addressing but she had an idea that the normally peaceful cleric was angry at herself. Leaving Natalia with her rope tying she walked over to where Miriam sat and just sat silently next to her, unsure what to say. After a few moments of silence she awkwardly put her arms around the woman, holding her as she cried.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 11:15 AM
"Anger and rage...Shout down kindness, but not fully...brought yourself back," Natalia says. "...What happened?"

achinca
2012-09-30, 11:19 AM
Still crying with her face buried in her hands, she spat words 'Lie .... a lie .... my life is a lie .... my God ... Good? ... Evil? ... Why? WHY? Why? .. Why did He let it happen? .....'

She is not reacting to Natalia and Mithril kind hearted and empathetic hugs.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 11:25 AM
Natalia shakes Miriam. "What happened?" she asks.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 11:32 AM
Realizing that Miriam isn't going to do anything except cry, Natalia looks over at Mithril and asks, "Hear anything?"

Admiral
2012-09-30, 01:24 PM
Shiny looks around urgently, his eyes whirring with the formation of a plan.

"When this ogre wakes up... It'll need to think we're collecting heads for a bounty set by the orcs. We'll pretend not to notice it for a moment and then we will. I'll taunt it a bit to drive in the message. Understood?

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 01:28 PM
Natalia withdraws slightly. Taunting the ogre, this was a bit more malicious than Shiny usually was. When had everyone around her gotten so cold? Was she any different? She'd killed four creatures now. Conscious creatures, not animals for food, even if it was in self-defense, even if they were brutes. Orcs couldn't be entirely brutish; that half-orc child back in Hilsfar was no savage...And she's the trapsmith. And here, she'll be using her snares and spikes to kill.

Natalia goes quiet.

Zman
2012-09-30, 02:23 PM
"We could simply ask it where the rest of its clan or group are and bring the same justice to them?" Valen says with a sigh, obviously fatigued from the battle and not in the mood to dally with the Gnome's plans of misinformations.

The massive brute is now tied up with Natalia's skillful rope work as the group stands around discussing their upcoming plans. The soldiers are still the better part of an hour behind them.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 02:26 PM
"...That's suicide!" Natalia says sharply. They may have managed this fight, but only because there were six of them. And besides, hunting was different.

Admiral
2012-09-30, 03:27 PM
"We could simply ask it where the rest of its clan or group are and bring the same justice to them?" Valen says with a sigh, obviously fatigued from the battle and not in the mood to dally with the Gnome's plans of misinformations.

"Ah, but did I mention you get the best part?" says Shiny, ever the consummate salesman. "You get to chop off the heads of this ogre's comrades in front of his eyes!"

Shiny suddenly turns to Kurt, as though he just remembered him. "Oh... you can cut some heads off too if you want," as though the dwarf had just asked for the privilege.

The gnome spins on his heel and turns to the three women, fully prepared to explain their part in the charade. Seeing Miriam wiping away tears, Mithril painfully trying to comfort her, and Natalia growing squeamish with the entire plan, he slowly deflates. "Well..., we can handle this one on our own. Kurt, Valen, places. Only start chopping once the giant awakens. Your cue is 'The orc chieftain said we'd get sixty a head'."

He pauses and waits for the ogre to awake, only a single eye watching while he pretends to look in another direction.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 05:35 PM
Staring at Shiny's gleeful though of violence and shaking, Natalia turns to Mithril and asks, almost frantically, "Unnatural anger? You or me too? Different thoughts, shadow red blood claw make them hurt thoughts?"

Cavelcade
2012-09-30, 06:04 PM
Kurt looks at Shiny, then frowns and shakes his head. "You take care of this. These are beaten." He goes over to Miriam, then, very carefully sitting beside her and resting his enlarged axe across his knees. "Without you, I would be dead. Dead more than once, probably."

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 06:14 PM
"Team mom," Natalia adds quietly.

Athedia
2012-09-30, 07:11 PM
Mithril continued holding Miriam in her arms. "Remember those lizardmen, you made it so their javelin didn't even leave a scar." She was tired from the events of the day, and this exhaustion made it harder to understand Natalia's concerns. "The ogres are dead, we aren't. I am glad of that. I think Shiny is just trying to prevent more death, of everyone in the long run."

achinca
2012-09-30, 07:27 PM
Miriam sobs 'I can't .... I thought killing it would help but I could not .... I can't'

Still holding Mithril tight, she buries herself against the enlarged dwarf like a kitten would do to a human.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 07:42 PM
Somewhat nervously, Natalia pats Miriam's shoulder and says, "Can't kill feelings...Better to drain infections."

Zman
2012-09-30, 08:50 PM
Looking at Shiny, no amusement in his eyes, "If you believe I enjoy dismembering corpses, you are sorely mistaken..."

Valen moves off to recover his and the others horses, tieing them to a nearby tree.

Take 10 Ride for a 14. Shouldn't take long.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 09:04 PM
Natalia looks up and asks, "Wait for lieutenant?"

Zman
2012-09-30, 09:42 PM
Two minutes have passed. Valen and Kurt look as if they are refreshed after expending so much energy in so short a time. Miriam is sobbing and distraught, but remembers the pain her companions are in summoning just enough faith in Saint Cuthbert to mend their wounds, most of her energy spent. Shiny is quickly refreshing his lines and preparing the stage for his performance. Mithril and Natalia are busy giving emotional support to the cracking Miriam.

Last chance for a bit of IC before advancing things.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-09-30, 09:47 PM
Natalia stretches a bit as the wound heals, and whatever the ogre split open knits together. "Thank you. Good is true deep down," she says.

Some time during the two minutes Natalia did reload her light crossbow. Though she figures it's not necessary, what with the ogres dead and with Valen and Kurt still under Miriam's magical protection (how long does that last for anyway?) she does it anyway. After all, Natalia's rather cautious and thorough, as anyone working with traps learns to be.

Cavelcade
2012-10-01, 05:52 AM
Eventually Kurt sighs and stands again. "I don't like it, Shiny, but I'll help you." He picks up his axe and goes to stand over the Ogre Leader, his hands resting on the butt of his axe as he waits for the Ogre to awaken, his expression disturbingly blank for now.

Zman
2012-10-01, 08:23 AM
The group is scattered and debating the merits of Sinys plan when a loud crash of more Ogres can be heard coming from the North. Only four this time, but their leader looks even scarier than the last as he wields a large weapon in each hand. The other three are equipped like the other grunts you've encountered before.

Their eyes are alight with fire and hatred as they close on the group. Will our hearty adventurers summon the spirit to wade into battle yet again?

They had surprise, and all used their actions to move up. The entire party won initiative, see OoC for Initiative order.

achinca
2012-10-01, 08:31 AM
Miriam's sobs finally stops. She gives big strong hug to Mithril and whispers in her ear "Thank you Sister".

She gets up and plant a big kiss on Kurt's forehead, even if that mean she has t get on her tippie toes 'Thank you Sir Kurt'.

She approaches Natalia and rubs her hair in a friendly way. "I am sorry for losing it. I just learned some news ... well, not very good .... anyway, I am really sorry ....'

She touches Natalia while lifting her holy symbol to heal her.

Drop Bless water for CLW [roll0] - forgot augmented healing last time

After that she goes toward the huge dwarf and smile 'healing time Sir" and touches his wounds to heal them.

Drop summon monster II for CMW [roll1]

After that, she stands away for the ogre and Shiny, afraid that her emotional instability would hurt the gnome far fetched plan.

achinca
2012-10-01, 08:43 AM
Miriam sees the ogres coming and her blood freezes in her veins. 'So St. Cuthbert, is this the way it is? You give on one hand and take on the others? Do you want my life because I know you covert a perverted sick old man going around taking naive young girl maidenhood in your name?' she hears an angry voice in herher.

She shakes her head trying to push away the thoughts 'Not now please ....." she says out loud to herself. She lowers her head and when she raises it, the kind loud that had returned after the tears has been replaced by a cold expressions.

'We cannot out run them. Even if we do with the horses, they might take down Linwood support forces. Let's see if Shiny can put some asleep. I can try to stun some. I wish you did not waste your precious spell, you stupid girl" she says to herself.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 08:52 AM
Natalia nods and smiles as Miriam heals her, but it's wiped from her face as she hears the ogres.

"Oh ****."

Her mind is made up; without Miriam's spells they can't win this fight. She stands up and says, "Double tap and run!"

Cavelcade
2012-10-01, 12:51 PM
Kurt takes a five foot step to the left and then settles in place, readying his weapons not just to protect but also to keep himself safe.

"Everyone get behind me and shoot!"

He starts fighting defensively: -4 to attack rolls, +2 to AC.

Admiral
2012-10-01, 12:58 PM
Shiny reacts to the newcomers by sprinting away from the bound orc and behind the massive bulk of Kurt. His face shows neither fear nor calm- only the frenzied fury of action.

He aims his crossbow between the oversized dwarf's legs and shoots.

Looking to have cover behind Kurt. Aims shot at OL.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 01:06 PM
Natalia stares in disbelief as the group decides to stay and fight. "...Joking, right? Please, say it's...a joke." She sighs. As much as she wants to run for it, she's not going to leave them to die...

Natalia shoots the crossbow bolt at the nastiest ogre, then ducks behind Kurt, knowing that the bolt will miss like it usually does.

The bolt hits, but it doesn't do more than a scratch...

achinca
2012-10-01, 01:19 PM
Miriam pulls out a little bit of silver from her pouch and makes a circle around Kurt. 'Now St. Cuthbert grants this warrior more protection against the evil that is threatening us!'

Cast protection from evil on Kurt

After that, she will pull up her wand and hit the back of Kurt with it.

Wand of CLW: [roll0]
Charges left: 49

She yells at Natalia 'Sharpshooter! My crossbow is loaded. Bury the bolt down that creature throat!'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 01:27 PM
Natalia almost glares at Miriam. "No...Offense to Kurt, but...But..I needed that more!"

achinca
2012-10-01, 01:30 PM
Miriam looks at Natalia. The harsh look in her eyes disappears for a second before reappearing. 'Just don't engage. Shoot from afar. Let me heal. Wait for one of the spells to disable them. Just don't get yourself killed.

The kind look reappears and with a begging voice, Miriam concludes 'Please? I really need you, all of you right now .....'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 01:34 PM
Natalia sighs and says, "Still say we run. Foolish to be here."

She also takes the items she gave to Valen from him and hands them over to Mithril, saying, "Fire jugs and sticky good. Valen slashes, you hinder."

achinca
2012-10-01, 01:38 PM
Miriam kind look disappears again 'Run if you must girl! I will not abandon the others and fails that test!'

She yells 'Valen! Kurt! how about we smash the sleeping one? No need to have him wake up and hurt us?'

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 01:40 PM
"Not leaving you!" Natalia shouts. "All together, but not a test, just survival!"

achinca
2012-10-01, 01:43 PM
Miriam replies with an insane (EVIL DM) laughs "What is survival anything else but a test?"

Zman
2012-10-01, 02:07 PM
As the Ogres approach the party begins to scramble into action. Both Shiny and Natalia let loose bolts from their crossbows managing to strike home on the massive Ogre. Miriam calls on Saint. Cuthbert to protect Kurt from evil enhancing the now Divine Juggernaut.

Mithril casts a quick spell before making sure that her light crossbow is loading, preparing to loose a bolt at her first opportunity.

Valen moves off, faster than most people could on foot as he now stands out in front of the two furthest Ogres, seemingly taunting them to attack him over the rest of the party, <Draconic>"Filthy Stupid Idiots!"<Draconic> Valen bellows, seemingly unafraid.

Kurt is delaying a defensive strike.

I let Shiny shoot before moving, it depends on where he was if the Ogre would have cover, if no only partial and Shiny should have hit anyway.

Good threat Natalia! Every little bit helps.

Miriam buffed Kurt even more, should be long enough to handle the first Ogres.

Mithril cast Mage Armor and loaded her crossbow.

Valen is trying to draw them off.

Athedia
2012-10-01, 02:14 PM
Mithril cast one of her few remaining spells to protect herself, hoping it didn't have to be used. Why, why, why... Everything was going so well. I don't want to die, not here not now Hands shaking, she turned to the her last resort, pulling out her crossbow and praying as she loaded it. Boccob, I have so much to learn yet. Don't let me end here. I still owe you my journey, my stories.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 02:16 PM
Natalia places the two flasks of alchemists' fire and the tanglefoot bag in Mithril's trembling hands and says, "Fire jugs, sticky goo. If you need it."

Her hands linger on Mithril's a bit longer than is strictly necessary.

Athedia
2012-10-01, 02:18 PM
Mithril stared at the ogres as Natalia slipped the supplies into her hands. As the girl did so Mithril grabbed her hand "Don't die, please don't die."

Zman
2012-10-01, 02:18 PM
Ogres

With their range the Ogres do little but advance, being careful not to expose themselves as the move forward. The trees and forest making it impossible for them to charge...

All Ogres double move.

Cavelcade
2012-10-01, 02:32 PM
Kurt grins and steps forward then, going straight for the leader, trusting in Miriam for his defense.

5' step forward
Power attack: -1 +2
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit
[roll2] Damage

He grimaces angrily as the Ogre avoids his attack, just.

Athedia
2012-10-01, 02:46 PM
Attack [roll0] forgot bless +1
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

By the way, since I didn't get to specify because Zman ran my action for me. I wanted to share Mage Armor with Whiskers, is that okay?

Mithril twitched and her bolt spun off into the ogre. When she saw the small spurt of blood she grimaced. It didn't look like the bolt had done much damage. She quickly reloaded her crossbow and prepared to shoot again.

Zman
2012-10-01, 02:49 PM
Mithril steps to the side and lets loose another bolt, the quarrel finding its mark followed by hurriedly reloading her spend crossbow...

Moved Mithril a 5' step on the map, otherwise she would have been granting the Ogre cover. Simple fix, nice shot!

Zman
2012-10-01, 02:52 PM
Miriam keeps close to Kurt and pulls out a slender wooden rod, touching the back of Kurts legs and knitting the remainder of his wounds..

Zman
2012-10-01, 02:59 PM
Valen continues to run away from his friends and allies letting the huge behemoths give chase...

More movement, we'll see if they can catch me and hit me when they do! At least I bought a solid two rounds for us.

Admiral
2012-10-01, 03:13 PM
Shiny looks over the violent tableau, his keen eyes running through options. The dual-wielding beast is too big and beefy to put to sleep, but he might just be able to stun it for a moment...

He dashes over past Natalia, splays out his palm, and unleashes a rainbow of colors over the ogre leader.

Casting color spray so it hits OL. If it works, he'll be stunned for a round, have a total of -4 to AC (Unsettling Enchantment!), and will be flat-footed, making this the perfect chance for a full round pair of sneak attacks from Natalia, while also stopping him from killing any of us with that pair of deadly weapons.

I do not know his will save but will pretend it is +1, ZMan can add to it as necessary:

[roll0]

Zman
2012-10-01, 03:17 PM
Shiny steps out and whips up his hand in a scintilating spray of colors, the Ogre Brute reels, unable to shield its eyes with its two maces as Kurt's axe strikes home.

Zman
2012-10-01, 03:24 PM
Natalia steps up and attemps to deliver two lethal blows....

Holding a spot, will post the Ogre rounds to keep things moving. Waiting on Coffee.....who thought?!

Zman
2012-10-01, 03:28 PM
Ogres

The two Ogres chasing Valen close in, the closes dropping his Javelin in favor of his greatclub to bash in the quick Human's skull... The other keeps his Javelins at the ready as he has yet to close the gap, but covers the route back to his allies...

Another Ogre steps past its stunned leader pulling out its huge club and attempts to pancake Shiny....

Attack! vs Shiny AC21 [roll0](+9, the SRD doesn't include their Weapon Focus, I've been underplaying Ogres this whole time by a +1)
Damage[roll1]

achinca
2012-10-01, 03:30 PM
post copied from the OOC thread to confirm the roll

Miriam puts her hand on Natalia's face and with a motherly smile touches her with the wand 'Here you go little sister. As good as new!'

(1d8+5)[12]

Charges left: 48

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 03:57 PM
Seizing on Shiny's opening, Natalia leaps forward with both weapons to attack the brute.

Damage: [roll2] plus Sneak Attack: [roll3]

Damage: [roll6] plus Sneak Attack: [roll7]

Without the aerial momentum, Natalia's attack doesn't do nearly as much damage as she would have hoped.

Cavelcade
2012-10-01, 04:10 PM
Kurt grins as the weapons drop from the Ogre's hand and brings his axe up in a wicked arc.

power attack: -1 +2
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit
[roll2] Damage

He manages to drive the edge in under the Ogre's armour and thick hide, pushing it deep into the beast's gut before it almost sticks and he has to withdraw it.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 04:25 PM
Natalia can't help but grin a bit as Kurt fells the lead ogre. Maybe they can get out of this after all.

Zman
2012-10-01, 04:30 PM
Valen. Darts back down the road attempting to evade the swings of the Ogres as he leaves them in the dust.... But is impaled completely through the leg by a javelin as he runs by barely staying on his feet.

Run to Z15 Can someone please move him with 70' of movement to spare!

AoO
Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

AoO
Attack[roll2]Improvised Weapon-Javelin
Damage[roll3]

This could be bad.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 04:42 PM
(Assuming that Shiny hit the other nearby ogre with a color spray; if not I'll probably revise this if that's allowed. Natalia's not going to attack the ogre in melee if the color spray misses)

Natalia runs forward and strikes the other ogre with her shortsword.

Damage: [roll2] plus Sneak Attack [roll3]

Aaaand she misses. Badly.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 04:45 PM
If Shiny's Color Spray misses or he doesn't use it

Not wanting to get too close to the ogre, Natalia steps back quickly, then reloads and fires her light crossbow.

Athedia
2012-10-01, 05:08 PM
Mithril took a step forward while she lifted her crossbow and shot once more.
Attack [roll0] remembered bless this time
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
5 foot step to AF 17

The bolt flew true, striking the ogre straight in the arm. Mithril did not spend anytime cheering, instead reloading her crossbow as fast as she could.

Admiral
2012-10-01, 05:09 PM
After narrowly dodging the ogre's club, Shiny hops right into the fray. He takes a step into the middle of the two ogres, and begins to work his magic.

Attempt to cast defensively to avoid O1's AoO: [roll0]

Admiral
2012-10-01, 05:12 PM
Shiny easily performs the gymnastics necessary to cast his spell without allowing the ogre to attack, and he releases a stream of colors over both.

Ogre Leader Will save: [roll0]
Ogre 1 Will save: [roll1]

Zman
2012-10-01, 06:54 PM
"Miss me?!" Valen shouts as he comes running in, wounded with two Angry Ogres at his heels.

Ogres double move and they have their clubs out.

Admiral
2012-10-01, 07:11 PM
His spell having succeeded, but hoping to save his last spell for the most effective moment, Shiny loads his crossbow, aims it at the closer oncoming ogre, and fires.

Attack (including -2 range): [roll0]

He's still jittery with excitement over his latest spell, and the bolt goes flying off into the trees.

Athedia
2012-10-01, 07:52 PM
Mithril shot her crossbow at the advancing ogre's and stepped backward.
Attack [roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

She stumbled over a rock as she shot, and barely caught herself. Loading another bolt into her crossbow she cursed her bad luck.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 08:35 PM
Hearing the sounds of Valen and the two ogres hot on his heels, Natalia springs forward with both blades, hoping for better luck this time.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 08:39 PM
Hearing the sounds of Valen and the two ogres hot on his heels, Natalia springs forward with both blades, hoping for better luck this time.

(Sorry, forum ate my post)

Zman
2012-10-01, 08:48 PM
Miriam moves quickly debating between her mace and her wand... her wand eventually winning out as she heals Valen's wounds...

Heal[roll0] Charges:47

Zman
2012-10-01, 08:52 PM
Valen basks in the healing energies of Miriam's magic and attempts to deliver a deathblow to the stunned Ogre... his blade slicing cleanly through the Ogres back severing the spine..."Stop wasting time, there are yet more." a grin on his face...

Should battle be this enjoyable?...

Power Attack (-2/+4)[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 08:56 PM
Natalia manages to duck as Valen is showered with the ogre's blood; she just barely avoids getting drenched herself. Their raw physical might is...Terrifying. So is the primal grin on his face, so natural on his yet so foreign on Miriam's.

Zman
2012-10-01, 08:58 PM
Kurt moves to a forward positions readying his axe to defend his allies...

Kurt moves, readies a defensive strike

Zman
2012-10-01, 09:04 PM
Ogres

As their final compainion is felled the Ogres let out a battle charge as the charge the barbarians... but not before Kurt brings down his axe... the two behemoths trade tremendous blows that would fell lesser warriors....the second misses Valen as he nimbly steps to the side preparing to return the favor...

Readied Defensive Strike Vs AC14 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Charge Vs Kurt AC21 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Charge Vs Valen AC20 [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Athedia
2012-10-01, 09:13 PM
Mithril aimed and shot at the ogre attacking Kurt "Stay up Kurt, they look weaker already.". She felt bolstered by her own words as the bolt flew true, and struck the ogre.

Attack [roll0]
Crit [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Reloading and 5 foot step backwards.

achinca
2012-10-01, 09:15 PM
As Miriam touches Valen's bloodied back, a lust for hurt takes over her. She thinks she wants to feel what it is like to take a life. So much has been taken from her and nothing has been given. She has given her all life and never taken anything.

That lust for violence is very visible but her training as a healer is still primordial.

She looks around at the injured fighters, Kurt, Natalia and Valen and assesses the one the closest to death.

She is about to use the healing wand when suddenly she sees a flash and time seems to stop around her. She hears a voice in her head 'Miriam, You are my Chosen One'.

Her holy symbol starts to shine and suddenly the mace that she is holding start looking like the Mace That Never Forgets as Mary described her.

The voice continues 'That Relic is your destiny as it is to stop HIM'

She realizes it is St. Cuthbert talking to her. He has heard her prayers and is aware of the situation. But there is no time to think about it. Time restarts and the ogres are about to kill her friends.

She moves forward yielding her mace and strike the healthiest ogre she can reach without getting it. The mace looks normal to other but to her, she is carrying The Mace That Never Forgets. She strikes the ogre hard, feeling the added power provided by her god.

Not sure who needs it most
[roll0]
Charges LefT: 46
From OOC Thread
Hit: 26
Damages:11
Demoralized: 16 without modifier.

She howls as she makes contact and sees her mace return to her normal shape. "I HEARD YOU ST. CUTHBERT. WE HAVE MORE TO TALK ABOUT BUT I HEARD YOU.'

Her howl is violent and guttural but instead of being a howl of anger and despair, it is an howl of freedom and strength. She has still violence in her eyes but it is not desperate violence but instead justice.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-10-01, 09:15 PM
"Proving me wrong!" Natalia says with confidence as she prepares to strike, waiting to see what Shiny does.