PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim Giants for Old-School D&D

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-20, 05:34 PM
I have made statistics for Skyrim giants for old-school D&D incarnations such as BECMI, as well as clones such as Labyrinth Lord. The standard format has been improved upon for fast reference and ease of use.

Giant
Hit Dice: 9+9
No. Enc.: 1d3 + 1d3-1 mammoths.
XP: 7,000.

Movement: 120' (40')
Attacks: One club.
Damage: 3d8+3.

AC: 7 (tough hide.)
Average HP: 46.
Save: Fighter 10.
Morale: 10.

Giants are towering, man-shaped monsters who wander the frozen wastes of the world. Although their forms appear emaciated, they are extremely strong, fast, and tough.

Although not evil, giants are very territorial and aggressive. They will fight savagely to protect the mammoths that they farm, and are not above eating humans.

Giants have tough, cold-resistant hides. Because of this, they are immune to the bitter chill of the frozen wastes. All damage they take from cold-based spells is reduced to half.

When a giant is killed, it may fall on its murderer and crush him. One must try to roll under their dexterity after killing a giant with a melee weapon. On a failure, they take 3d8 damage.

The giant is meant to be a terrifying foe that even high-level characters need backup and planning to handle. It stays true to Elder Scrolls lore, but is adapted to work with any D&D setting.

I really wanted to capture the sheer terror of facing a charging giant. I hope the monster is deadly and terrifying without being completely overpowered..