PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewer Community Chat Thread

Welknair
2012-09-22, 06:49 PM
For all that delicious meta-brew discussion! This thread was suggested by Morph Bark in TheWombatOfDoom's So You Want to Make a Homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256476) thread. If you support having a stickied, centralized thread for general homebrew discussion, I'd suggest shooting Roland a PM asking him to sticky this thread. It'd be nice if it was a proper sticky as opposed to being added to the Notable Threads list, but that may be against policy.

Later on I hope to add useful links to things like ongoing competitions, compendiums, and guides.

Eldan
2012-09-22, 07:13 PM
So, to get discussion flowing, what is everyone working on?

I'm not actively working on anything myself. I have two large things on the backburner, one being the Arcane classes (there's always more lores and rituals to be done), the other is a complete re-write of Etherworld, my campaign setting. I'm fearing that one is turning into a monster, it's 40 pages long so far, and I have so much more I want to add to it. I don't think anyone will ever read it all.

Welknair
2012-09-22, 07:54 PM
I'm working on several things, myself.

1. Typing up the last bits of my Conceptualist class
2. My Fourthland game, bit by bit
3. Juggling ideas around from half-finished bloodline work. Things like bloodine feats, PrCs and another Base Class. Not sure if any will be refined enough to post.

And of course I'm running a minecraft RP server now, so that's taking some of my brew-time.

sirpercival
2012-09-22, 08:25 PM
I have a huge homebrew to-do list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4149.msg95509#msg95509) involving my various projects... :smalleek:

Currently I'm working on brainstorming the warcrafter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256614).

Morph Bark
2012-09-23, 05:02 AM
Hi, I'm Morph Bark the Tierer and I approve this thread.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/I+approve+this+message+_be80a0c4e678f4290d2177c5a3 a41c02.jpg

GunbladeKnight
2012-09-23, 03:53 PM
I am working on an almost complete system overhaul of 3.5 to hopefully get everyone more balanced. It will be things like giving the martial and expert classes maneuvers while removing partial casting (it doesn't sit well with me to have half-casters), changing several spells to rituals that anyone can use if they know them (also would explain why kings don't simply hire clerics to revive them when assassinated), spell revisions, as well as other more minor things (such as removing sorcerer in favor of limited list casters).

Actually, I'm at a roadblock on two points for now: The wizard will no longer receive bonus spells in their spellbook simply due to leveling up, so the thought is to either: they all know the summon monster line by heart and can cast those much like a druid can use SNA, or to create school 'domains' with school specific spells (ie, only an evoker can cast fireball) and have those be spontaneous.

The other one would be that I am trying to think of a fifth divine caster. So far I have:
Cleric: has a prayerbook like the wizard's spellbook. Knows all spells from selected domains and can use those spontaneously instead of cure/inflict.
Druid: prayerbook like cleric. Knows SNA and can use those spontaneously.
Healer: spontaneous limited list caster that focuses on healing, buffing, and non-damaging spells.
Shaman: spontaneous limited list caster that focuses on the four elements.

I'm also working on various things to help keep my mind fresh while working on this. In fact, I am almost done with a new martial discipline and will be posting it soon.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-24, 06:35 AM
:smalleek: That sounds like a lot of work, Gunblade! Good luck with that. Maybe the last time can be a "summoner"?

I'm currently considering what to homebrew for Troll Brau's latest competition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254445). Thinking about captain planet, or working on some race or monster 'brews from one show or the other.

Also working on a homebrew called 'Arcane Artist'. I'm really excited about this one.

Yora
2012-09-24, 06:48 AM
I am completely occupied with setting. I want the setting to stand on it's own legs without being held up by specific RPG mechanics. And with D&D 5th edition slowly but steadily taking shape I suspended statting monsters and creating new magic mechanics entirely for the time being.

WaylanderX
2012-09-24, 06:50 AM
Nice Thread you guys have here, lemme join in on da Fun!

Currently Im working on adding more material for my Gaoler of Frostflame class, namely an Elemental Summoning Path, which should be ready and aviable for PEACHing later today.
I also have 2 new magic systems for my Iugon campain setting in the Concept Phase:

Soul Magic: Magic that has various effects depending on HD, alignment, race and gender. Usable a number of times per creature per day, instead of just a fixed number per day. Involves buffing, damage and illusions probably. (Ripping somebodies soul appart ftw!)

Insanity Magic: Magic that grows stronger the more Wisdom and Charisma damage you take. 2 types of Spells: Induce Spells and Insane Spells. Induce spells give you Wis or Cha damage and Insane Spells become stronger the more Wis and Cha damage you have. Also, you can cast Insane Spells a number of times per day equal to the number of point of damage you've taken.

These 2 magic thingies are both very rough as I thought them up yesterday. I'm most excited about the Insanity Magic, as I haven't seen a good magic system based on mental ability damage and madness yet.

bindin garoth
2012-09-24, 06:53 AM
Well I'm currently working on the Spellbound, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252415) speaking of which I haven't updated it for a while. I'm hoping to get a chance to take a second look at the burst effects, some of them seem a little weak right now.

And after that, well...........

Finish the Protege of the Iron Dragon. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13641055&postcount=15) I really need to get to this at some point, it doesn't need much more.

Re-work my Dual-Heritage Disciple to be open to all races and a general rework.

Enter the current PRC contest. I don't know what I'm going to do. Seriously.

Finish my Armorsworn - I've been working on and off this project for a long time. Gotta finish it up at some point.

Finish the 2 spellshaper base classes I've started.

Work on my new magic system for gishes.

Finish the Spellshape Circles I started, Liquid Metal and Nature's Claw.

And finish the many Prc's and Base class I currently have on my laptop.

I think that's everything. Not daunting at all :smalltongue:

And note, this list is in no particular order.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 07:03 AM
I just had a small idea.

Earlier, years ago, I proposed making Weapon Focus, weapon specialization and it's follow-up feats skills instead of feats. Choose a weapon group, invest skill points, gain +1 to hit per three skill points and +1 to damage per two skill points.
Now I had the idea to expand upon that. Make combat maneuvers skill checks as well. A disarm skill, a grapple skill, a trip skill, etc., with more complicated combat maneuvers as higher DC skill checks (beat your enemy by 10 points on the grapple skill check, he becomes pinned. DC 30: your enemy can not use his hands while grappled). The Improved X feats would now simply become "trained - untrained", at least as far as provoking attacks of opportunity is concerned.
The goal being, of course, taking away some of the feat tax fighters and their allies suffer, and taking away some of the more boring feats. They would all gain a lot more skill points (probably 8+ for the fighter).

Do you think this would be worth properly writing up?

Eurus
2012-09-24, 07:40 AM
I just had a small idea.

Earlier, years ago, I proposed making Weapon Focus, weapon specialization and it's follow-up feats skills instead of feats. Choose a weapon group, invest skill points, gain +1 to hit per three skill points and +1 to damage per two skill points.
Now I had the idea to expand upon that. Make combat maneuvers skill checks as well. A disarm skill, a grapple skill, a trip skill, etc., with more complicated combat maneuvers as higher DC skill checks (beat your enemy by 10 points on the grapple skill check, he becomes pinned. DC 30: your enemy can not use his hands while grappled). The Improved X feats would now simply become "trained - untrained", at least as far as provoking attacks of opportunity is concerned.
The goal being, of course, taking away some of the feat tax fighters and their allies suffer, and taking away some of the more boring feats. They would all gain a lot more skill points (probably 8+ for the fighter).

Do you think this would be worth properly writing up?

My worry would be that people would be inclined to invest all their skill points in direct combat things, when skills are really the only out-of-combat functionality that 90% of noncasting classes have. I like the general idea, though, and I think I've seen a variant some 'brewers have tried that gives characters Prowess points, either based on class or on BAB, which are invested in such a way.

Kane0
2012-09-24, 08:02 AM
I've actually been a little quiet on GitP lately, mostly due to how much work i've been putting into '3.U', my own little D&D rewrite (some of which can be seen in my sig). I have the majority of the framework hammered out now and ive moved onto some early testing and tweaking, as well as having a hard look at ToB maneuvers and vancian magic. Unfortunately my own alternatives to vancian have so far proven less elegant than i hoped by the upside is that 3.U is rather simple in play so far, though not quite as refined as i'd like.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 08:16 AM
My worry would be that people would be inclined to invest all their skill points in direct combat things, when skills are really the only out-of-combat functionality that 90% of noncasting classes have. I like the general idea, though, and I think I've seen a variant some 'brewers have tried that gives characters Prowess points, either based on class or on BAB, which are invested in such a way.

Hm. Prowess points. Yes, I've seen those. Fax Celestis introduced them first, I believe? Should they be a separate resource from skill points? Many of them already have combat applications. (Tumble, stealth, perception).

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-09-24, 11:19 AM
Hm. Prowess points. Yes, I've seen those. Fax Celestis introduced them first, I believe? Should they be a separate resource from skill points? Many of them already have combat applications. (Tumble, stealth, perception).

Definitely separate. You want to encourage skill use, not have a system that allows you to sacrifice skills for more combat utility. Hell...I'd make the combat uses of skills separate from skill points before I'd use one resource for combat bonuses AND skills.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 11:26 AM
Right. I must admit that I'm not the best person to ask there, as I wouldn't invest skill points into combat power anyway.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-24, 12:27 PM
Heh, another big 3.75-type project here... started off as sort of a new core using a bunch of my own 'brew, but has started expanding... trying to hold down the scale, though; I don't want to rewrite too many fundamental rules, but it might wind up that way :S. I'm also looking at a distinct Civilization vs Savagery theme, partly because an awful lot of classes fall along that axis, and partly to give my rewrite a bit of fluff all its own.

Class-wise, look out for a new Rogue fix, possibly hybridizing with the Factotum; a possible scout/ranger merging; possibly a slightly tweaked Bard/Savage Bard (which is tier 3, but really needs splatbooks to make it work); and maybe a generic gish class that can replace the Duskblade, Hexblade, and things of that nature.

Also, still working on my own super-rules-light system, STaRS.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 12:36 PM
That reminds me of something I thought of a while ago. Why not the Playground Brewers get together and try to create a definitive fix for 3.5? It'd be a huge job and there'd be tons of differing opinions, but I think we could pull it off. Thoughts?

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-24, 12:39 PM
That reminds me of something I thought of a while ago. Why not the Playground Brewers get together and try to create a definitive fix for 3.5? It'd be a huge job and there'd be tons of differing opinions, but I think we could pull it off. Thoughts?

I dunno... I suspect there may be too much disagreement about methods, but it would certainly be cool to try. One thread to gather people, work out core mechanics first, then do classes... might need captains of some sort to make executive decisions... hmm...

Eldan
2012-09-24, 12:53 PM
Yeah, that. I mean, just look at how many Paladin or monk fixes there are. How many people want to axe vancian casting entirely. Nevermind disagreements over power level.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-24, 12:57 PM
And let's not forget about the 200 fighter fixes.

However, I am genuinely intrigued in such an endevour.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-24, 01:01 PM
I mean, I'd certainly be down to try.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 01:02 PM
Alright. Who'd be up for it? Discussion would have to start at the basics.

Organization: How do we decide what gets in or not? Who brews what?
Basics: Power level, mechanics, class archetypes?
Design goals: versatility? Balance?
How close to 3.5? Just rebalance? Completely redo? Legend?

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 01:09 PM
Wait, isn't that basically what Legend did?

But yeah, lots of rewrites (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1172.0). And that linked thread doesn't even have half of them.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-24, 01:15 PM
Organization: How do we decide what gets in or not? Who brews what?
Everyone can have input. Those who are willing to commit to the project should put a tag in their signatures. But for who does the actual 'brewing... pretty sure we need captains of some sort, elected or otherwise. I do collaborative writing pretty regularly-- a college radio drama-- and group brainstorming is great, but there needs to be someone yelling at people to stay on topic, people to flesh out parts once the broad strokes are finished, and one or more people to make sure everything's integrated.

Basics: Power level, mechanics, class archetypes?
Design goals: versatility? Balance?
How close to 3.5? Just rebalance? Completely redo? Legend?
That'd be the first discussion, wouldn't it? I favor "re-balance when possible, rebuild when necessary." Like, as close to 3.5 as we can get it while keeping things balanced.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 01:29 PM
Wait, isn't that basically what Legend did?

But yeah, lots of rewrites (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1172.0). And that linked thread doesn't even have half of them.

I don't like Legend for... a variety of reasons, shall we say.

But yes, there's many good rebuilds already out there. But then, if we can get people on board, they can bring in their old ideas.

As for re-balance vs. redo... I would promote a few bigger changes, actually. More options for all classes. Perhaps even an inclusion of Tome of Battle maneuvers into the basic book.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 01:35 PM
I similarly am a fan of the "Rebalance when possible, redo when necessary" policy. But as per Eldan, 3.5 has some serious problems that aren't to be fixed by simple tweaks and rewrites.

I also like the idea of having captains to direct things. I doubt much will get accomplished otherwise.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 01:36 PM
Well, anyone volunteering for Captaincy? And we should probably get our own thread for that.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-09-24, 01:38 PM
But yes, there's many good rebuilds already out there. But then, if we can get people on board, they can bring in their old ideas.
Sure.

As for re-balance vs. redo... I would promote a few bigger changes, actually. More options for all classes. Perhaps even an inclusion of Tome of Battle maneuvers into the basic book.

More options, for sure-- one of the coolest parts of 3.5 is all the tasty little subsystems that can make two classes feel so differently. On the other hand, I feel like the closer we are to "classic" 3.5, the easier it will be to spread things, and the easier it will be to convert spells and prestige classes and the like. I mean, most of the game's biggest problems-- Tier 1 casters, under-appreciated melee, and the like-- are right there in the PHB. Fix that, and everything else instantly becomes so much more usable.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 01:42 PM
Well, anyone volunteering for Captaincy? And we should probably get our own thread for that.

Before we get into captains, perhaps we should determine what we need captains OF? How do we plan to divide this? How will we ensure that despite the number of participants, it maintains a cohesive feel?

(I'm interested in being a Captain, but we may want to discuss a nomination/voting system for those)

And yes, I think we are quickly nearing the need for a separate thread.

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 01:45 PM
I also like the idea of having captains to direct things. I doubt much will get accomplished otherwise.

Check what areas of expertise everyone has. Then put them into charge of something similar.

For instance, I'd love to say "Eldan! You go work on the magic system!" But then he'd point out he already has made one, or is working on one.

Likewise, "Welknair! Go do the magic items!" could work, since your expertise with magitech, but you have a specific view of that, plus magitech =/= magic items, not exactly, though it's similar enough perhaps.

Grod has done several base class fixes, and mainly has done work on base classes, so clearly that's his main area of expertise.

Wombat, who has also voiced interest, is great as a fluff writer.

Writing this post has made me realized I've become good at finding out what other people are good at, possibly partially thanks to all that Tiering. Man. Whuddaknown?

Eldan
2012-09-24, 01:48 PM
I'd say the Captains primary job should be mainly organization. Getting people to work, collecting ideas together, putting up new threads as required, moderating discussions and so on. Then we can elect people to be put into charge of the various sub-systems (Sergeant? What is the rank below Captain?) Captain of Feats, Captain of Spells, Captain of Skills, and so on.

I'd volunteer for that, actually.

And yeah, I already have a neo-vancian magic system. And I will mercilessly lobby for including something based on it in these new rules :smalltongue:

First things first. We need a name for the system, then we can get a thread for it.

My suggestion is calling it G&G, with one G standing for Giants. But that's just me and I realize it sounds silly. Which it should.

Edit: Morph for Captain of Proofreading and Balance!

Welknair
2012-09-24, 01:56 PM
Writing this post has made me realized I've become good at finding out what other people are good at, possibly partially thanks to all that Tiering. Man. Whuddaknown?
I had a similar experience when I was making derivitive Bloodlines. I must have read a dozen subsystems made by different brewers, and quickly learned to understand them to the point that I could brew for them. I'd certainly list "Can quickly assess subsystems" as one of my strengths.

We also need to consider if we're going to have more than one person on each task. What if two brewers excel at making feats? How do they work together? Does one have precedence over the other? Do they both report to someone ELSE?

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 02:08 PM
I'd put two people on each major task. Two minds think better than one. Hold frequent brainstorming sessions with as many people in on the project as possible to throw in additional ideas and thoughts, primarily on how some things need to be done. For instance, on the subject of feats, I like the idea of the Races of War feats in limited fashion, such as using them as level-1-only feats (and limited to only one, too), but others likely would disagree with that. Similarly, I believe feats should be handed out more, like in Pathfinder. Also, skills could use a slight revamp, such as what I did with the Knowledges, but perhaps not like what I did with the Knowledges.

I'd also put a main overseer/general sort of figure to check up on everything and everyone, but that might take a lot and that person might get distracted easily in the long term, or get embroiled in real life issues or somesuch.

Also, shall I perchance venture to temporarily recruit you for a tl;dr assessment of big project classes/systems to aid me some in Tiering the classes tied to them? :smallamused:

Eldan
2012-09-24, 02:10 PM
Skills should at least have more uses. I dislike skill tricks, they should have been included in skills from the beginning. I mean, nothing stops a DM from just saying "That's a -5 on your check", but the core rules should still list a few such suggestions.

sirpercival
2012-09-24, 02:23 PM
I'm interested in contributing, but not being a captain. I suck at organization stuff, but I love homebrewing.

Morph, what would you say I'm good at? Other than starting large projects it'll take me forever to finish because I keep getting sidetracked by small projects?

Eldan
2012-09-24, 02:46 PM
Right. Again, then. Gimme a name, I'll start a thread.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 03:09 PM
Giants and Guisarmes?

I am in favor of both the 2-per method as well as the idea that skills need help.

I'm still trying to think of what I'd be most useful doing. Though I did make Magitech, it was more as a subsystem as opposed to as a collection of magic items.

Edit: May I suggest the use of Skype for easier networking? We could make a group on it and add all participants.

sirpercival
2012-09-24, 03:12 PM
Giants and Guisarmes?

I am in favor of both the 2-per method as well as the idea that skills need help.

I'm still trying to think of what I'd be most useful doing. Though I did make Magitech, it was more as a subsystem as opposed to as a collection of magic items.

Edit: May I suggest the use of Skype for easier networking? We could make a group on it and add all participants.

Google doc?

Eldan
2012-09-24, 03:12 PM
Aye. Is there a G-synonym for "adventuring location"? Or we could use Titans. Towers and Titans?

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 03:18 PM
Morph, what would you say I'm good at? Other than starting large projects it'll take me forever to finish because I keep getting sidetracked by small projects?

I'm not personally familiar enough with your work, other than two classes, and you have mainly large or small projects on various different subjects, making it hard to pin down, especially since so many are unfinished.

Right. Again, then. Gimme a name, I'll start a thread.

Gaols and Gigants.

EDIT:

Well, considering your work with bloodlines, I imagine you wouldn't do too shabby with races. Most of them are derivative or parodical in nature though, so perhaps that's rather questionable. The NPC PrCs you got are quite solid though, so perhaps you could take to that department.

And you got my Skype, so yeah.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 03:21 PM
Gaols and Gigants.
Gigants?

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a good word, mostly because most g-words have a guh sound instead of a juh sound like in giants. Gaols and Gypsies are the only two I've thought of so far.

sirpercival
2012-09-24, 03:23 PM
lances and lamias
elves and escalators

Eldan
2012-09-24, 03:23 PM
Let's take Gaols and Giants as a temporary name, then.

sirpercival
2012-09-24, 03:25 PM
I'm not personally familiar enough with your work, other than two classes, and you have mainly large or small projects on various different subjects, making it hard to pin down, especially since so many are unfinished.

So... exactly what I said lol.

Morph Bark
2012-09-24, 03:27 PM
Gigants?

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a good word, mostly because most g-words have a guh sound instead of a juh sound like in giants. Gaols and Gypsies are the only two I've thought of so far.

I suggested Gigants mainly for the guh sound, yeah. Plus that's more like the original Greek word anyway!

Either way, I'm good with names (named a lot of stuff for a friend of mine's 'brew, plus there's the MUHA of course, which you should totally put up soon), so I'm sure to come up with something, especially if I don't have to work within a G&G constraint.

Eldan
2012-09-24, 03:28 PM
There we go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13949976#post13949976)

Welknair
2012-09-24, 03:42 PM
I suggested Gigants mainly for the guh sound, yeah. Plus that's more like the original Greek word anyway!

Either way, I'm good with names (named a lot of stuff for a friend of mine's 'brew, plus there's the MUHA of course, which you should totally put up soon), so I'm sure to come up with something, especially if I don't have to work within a G&G constraint.

Speaking of MUHA, I think we may have to re-enact our conversation about the Objective. For the life of me I can't seem to think of a good Objective that is equally measurable in both fluff and crunch.

GunbladeKnight
2012-09-24, 09:19 PM
I'm up for throwing out ideas for a revised system and having them largely ignored.

But I suppose we should have consensus on several matters, since I myself see monks as more of an expert class while most everyone else sees them as a martial class.

EDIT: Anyone want to see if TG Oskar is willing to make some input on classes? I think his reworks have come out very well.

Welknair
2012-09-24, 10:41 PM
I'm up for throwing out ideas for a revised system and having them largely ignored.

But I suppose we should have consensus on several matters, since I myself see monks as more of an expert class while most everyone else sees them as a martial class.

EDIT: Anyone want to see if TG Oskar is willing to make some input on classes? I think his reworks have come out very well.

We now have a separate thread for the revised 3.5, which can be found a few posts up. It's Gaols and Giants, I believe. And so far it looks like people are doing a decent job of honestly considering each others' opinions.

AmberVael
2012-09-24, 10:49 PM
I had this big long post I was writing up about my thoughts on 3.5 fixes, but I decided it was getting to be too much, so here it is condensed:

I'm very interested to see what you do, and will root for it creation. But I want to temper that with the observation that it is very, very easy to depart from a fix to a new edition. In fact, I am not sure whether a real 3.5 fix can be accomplished that maintains enough continuity between the new mechanics and the old mechanics, while actually dealing properly with the problems. Even if what you make does not turn out to be a fix, however, I think it is worthwhile thing to do- just be aware that you may have to let go of 3.5 to make what you really want.

In other news, I have quite a few homebrew things I am still sitting on that I need to get back to.
I've got a fourth batch of invocations (inspired by the Becoming God, see Eberron if that isn't familiar) that is mostly done but needs tweaking and polishing. It's been sitting around for a while, mostly complete.
Also, I have a set of telekinetic feats that may need reworking and fleshing out, but they have promise.
That homebrew discipline my abysmally small homebrew list alludes to. It's a crossbow based discipline! It should extend to other ranged weapons, but it'll focus on giving the poor crossbow something unique and hopefully powerful enough to allow it to actually be used more frequently, and as something other than the puny level 1 wizard's backup weapon.

Those are the ideas I actually have stuff written out for already, but I have way more ideas that I need to work on.
More invocations, mwahahaha! I will not be satisfied until I have made more invocations than Wizards of the Coast made! Of course, given that they only made 126, and given how many I've made in just three threads, this seems like a plausible goal. I'm looking for more themes though. Fiends are largely represented already, I did a nice set of angelic, elemental, and necromantic. Other potential themes I have in mind are plants, beasts, far realms... I'm also considering dragon and fey, but dragon may be better done via dragon shaman, while fey has some representation already. Suggestions are welcome!
The Medium. Essentially, a new invoking class. Very focused on the pact sort of flavor the warlock has. Somewhat inspired by Gunnerkrigg Court.
Shapechanger. Imagine a Tome of Battle class focused mainly on stances, except your stances can turn you into a bear! RAWR! I'm fond of this idea, but it will require some pretty heavy work. I do have a lot of thoughts on it already though.
Hoard Bound- vow of poverty for the absurdly greedy. I'm still not entirely sure how I want to do this, but I think the concept could be fun and allow for a lot more versatility and interest than vow of poverty. Draws inspiration from draconic tendencies, as the working name suggests.
Eldritch Overload. A series of abilities, probably to be implemented through feats (maybe also an ACF, possibly a PrC too), that add certain encounter based abilities to the warlock. I'd like to try and fill in a bit of the hole left when all your abilities are at will- correctly made per encounter abilities would allow a warlock a short term boost to help in time critical situations (like combat).
Eldritch Flickers. Cantrips for invocations... kind of? Not sure how to add this in to the system. It might be low level feats, possibly alternate class features, might just be unique to the Medium class. We'll see! The idea is to allow a lower level invoker more breadth of ability while not increasing their power too much.

These are just my most prominent ideas. I have a big list in my notes that I need to go through and eventually discard, rework, or make happen.

Trodon
2012-09-24, 11:02 PM
At this moment I'm working on various classes, deities, race adjustments, history, and geography (although I'm not doing so well on the last one...) for my homebrew setting for 3.5/PF. I haven't posted anything on these forums yet, but I'm thinking about posting a few things within the next couple of days. You know what? I'll go ahead and post the race I made, then I'll edit this post with the link. I do need feedback.

Edit: There we go, I'd really appreciate it if I could get some help with it, It's probably a tad bit strong. I'll leave that up to you all though. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13952710#post13952710)

GunbladeKnight
2012-09-24, 11:50 PM
More invocations, mwahahaha! I will not be satisfied until I have made more invocations than Wizards of the Coast made! Of course, given that they only made 126, and given how many I've made in just three threads, this seems like a plausible goal. I'm looking for more themes though. Fiends are largely represented already, I did a nice set of angelic, elemental, and necromantic. Other potential themes I have in mind are plants, beasts, far realms... I'm also considering dragon and fey, but dragon may be better done via dragon shaman, while fey has some representation already. Suggestions are welcome!

Perhaps some more general ones, or ones based on martial maneuvers. Or even shadow based ones? You've already covered most of the creature types already.

Dsurion
2012-09-25, 02:10 AM
Insanity Magic: Magic that grows stronger the more Wisdom and Charisma damage you take. 2 types of Spells: Induce Spells and Insane Spells. Induce spells give you Wis or Cha damage and Insane Spells become stronger the more Wis and Cha damage you have. Also, you can cast Insane Spells a number of times per day equal to the number of point of damage you've taken.I want this. A lot. That sounds awesome.

I just had a small idea.

Do you think this would be worth properly writing up?I sort of tried something like this in my own group. I used weapon groups and let everyone sink a rank for a group, then made sure all of the non-casters (I got rid of half-casters) had at least 6 skill points, with most having 8. Can't assess what would happen, because no one used any.

I suspected exactly what Djinn_in_Tonic said though, that people would just sacrifice all of their utility for combat.

As for what I'm working on, it's mostly just little things for my group. I'm brainstorming now for what to do about prepping enemy casters faster for my old Elder Scrolls game we're about to start up again. I'm probably going to wind up making an invocation-user based on spells from all of the various games and from as much lore as I can re-read.

Yora
2012-09-25, 05:19 AM
What a handy thread:

Have there been homebrew monster competitions?

Milo v3
2012-09-25, 06:23 AM
As several people have said what they are currently brewing, I'm currently designing several new game systems in addition to 3.5e homebrew:

Dark Azure - Set in 13th century England, Fae and Nephilim are hidding in the world and manipulating society. Undead are hunted. Despite these mythical beasts, the world mirrors real life. Everything is hidden by lies and deception.
Darkest Daemons - Victorian Era world where sentient beings have spawned and started a war with humanity, but through pacts they can be controlled by humans with the benefit of growing stronger.
Edge of Vengence - A Space Opera Sci-Fi with a focus on trying to be realistic in every way (For some reason I think I wont completely reach my goal).
Nanoshift - After the latest war, beasts with power of different forms of energy have arisen. To combat them, humanity utilises the small number of captured creature as power sources for mechs form from thousands of nanites.
Sanguine Interest - A Realistic and Dark fantasy world, with a focus on the unknown, religions, and the angels. Each society has its own pantheon of deities, despite the world having the same gods. Braking the rules of these gods, causes you to taint into a Ghoul.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-25, 08:30 AM
Edge of Vengence - A Space Opera Sci-Fi with a focus on trying to be realistic in every way (For some reason I think I wont completely reach my goal).

What do you mean space opera? Will there be singing involved? :smallsmile:

Edit:
What a handy thread:

Have there been homebrew monster competitions?

I think there's at least one that can have monsters in it, in trollbrau's pathfinder competition.

Milo v3
2012-09-25, 08:52 AM
What do you mean space opera? Will there be singing involved? :smallsmile:

As of yet, singing is not a main feature of the system. Space Opera's are about the characters in a space setting, often with aliens. Think Mass Effect or Farscape.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-25, 09:12 AM
As of yet, singing is not a main feature of the system. Space Opera's are about the characters in a space setting, often with aliens. Think Mass Effect or Farscape.

Copy. How have you decided to go about traveling interstellerly? Is this set in our universe or a seperate one?

Seerow
2012-09-25, 09:36 AM
I've personally found the more homebrew I make, the more self-referrential I want to make my homebrew, until I get to the point the game barely looks like D&D anymore. I generally stop myself from making said self-referrential stuff for that reason, but lately I've been toying with the idea of going all in and actually making a new system from the ground up. I hesitate to call it a 3.5 fix, because honestly what I want is pretty far removed from 3.5, and is something along the lines of a 3.5/4e hybrid, with a splash of my personal tastes thrown in.

General rundown of what I have in mind:

-Use d20 resolution for combat at least. Been toying with the idea of using a dicepool for skills, but probably won't go that route.

-Use 6 attributes, but not the 6 D&D typically uses. Most likely splitting up Dexterity into Dex/Reaction, and merging Constitution into Strength for a Body stat.

-Rather than having the typical 3+ saves, have two defenses: Physical and Mental, both based on the best stat out of the relevant category. Most(All) classes are designed with the expectation of having at least 1 primary and 1 secondary coming from different sections. (So you might have a Wizard with a secondary of reaction, or a rogue with secondary of intelligence)

-The game has Essence/Essentia/something (terminology unclear still) as the means of handling magic items. All player characters have this resource, and use it primarily to bind magic items to unlock more/greater powers from them. An unbound magic item is still magical, but extremely weak, possibly only having one cantrip-level effect. Some classes may have special uses for this resource independent of magic items. For example a Wizard might be able to invest essentia to expand his maximum spells known.

-The game takes the Power Source fluff from 4e and builds upon it. Each power source has its own resource system, and a pool of abilities that any character with access to it draws from. For example, a Barbarian and a Warlord will use the same resource system, and have an overlap of some abilities. Currently planned power sources are Martial, Arcane, and Psionic.

-Divine power is in the game, but is special. Rather than being a power source that a set of classes can draw from, it is a source any class may opt in to. Divine Blessings may be bestowed onto any character. Once the Blessing is bestowed, a character may choose to bind it to his essence as though it were a magic item. Characters may start the game with a blessing via Backgrounds, may opt to pick one up later via a feat, or may be earned as a quest reward. Blessings tend to follow a theme, similar to a domain. So a character may get a Blessing of Fire, and be able to turn any damage he deals into fire damage. As he invests more of his essence into this blessing, he unlocks more powers that are appropriate.

In this way, you can have your typical bookish cleric be a Wizard with a couple of relevant domains. Or you can have your Paladin as a Warlord with the Healing and Law domains. Basically this would acknowledge that clergy, or even divinely inspired individuals outside the clergy, are extremely diverse, and capable of doing just about anything, without trying to shoehorn that ability to do anything into a single class.

Milo v3
2012-09-25, 09:43 AM
Copy. How have you decided to go about traveling interstellerly? Is this set in our universe or a seperate one?

It is set in this universe in the year 2089. And how to justify FTL is something I'm still trying to figure out. Best I've got is Traversable Wormholes, but then the fact of Time Travel becomes a problem, in addition to justifying a Wormhole Generator-thingy.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-25, 09:53 AM
Perhaps. The limitation is protecting the living life forms with a ship in such cases. I don't know if you are aware of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243828) but I've found it useful for brainstorming ideas with other knowledge playgrounders. Might be a good place to toy around with your ideas.

Milo v3
2012-09-25, 09:58 AM
Perhaps. The limitation is protecting the living life forms with a ship in such cases. I don't know if you are aware of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243828) but I've found it useful for brainstorming ideas with other knowledge playgrounders. Might be a good place to toy around with your ideas.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Morph Bark
2012-09-25, 12:10 PM
It is set in this universe in the year 2089. And how to justify FTL is something I'm still trying to figure out. Best I've got is Traversable Wormholes, but then the fact of Time Travel becomes a problem, in addition to justifying a Wormhole Generator-thingy.

You could always go with an Alcubierre drive.

Milo v3
2012-09-25, 08:14 PM
You could always go with an Alcubierre drive.

The Alcubierre Drive removes the limit of C, but isn't their still the problem of the vehicle having to mannually reach the FTL speed within the distorted space-time.

Tanuki Tales
2012-09-25, 08:17 PM
For anyone interested in my work, I'll drop this teaser now:

I'm not overtly satisfied with anything I've made to date and have realized a flaw to my brew. In the coming future I will be starting something I call "Project G", which will boil down to me taking a new direction to my brew and holding my brew to a higher standard.

So stay tuned. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2012-09-26, 02:10 AM
The Alcubierre Drive removes the limit of C, but isn't their still the problem of the vehicle having to mannually reach the FTL speed within the distorted space-time.

Nope. 'sfar as I know, you're basically pulling space-time around yourself and thus not moving at all, technically. Essentially, you're teleporting, except you do need a clear path (at least, that's one of the problems I've seen pointed out with it).

Eldan
2012-09-26, 06:12 AM
You are still moving with an Alcubierre drive, as far as I'm aware. You mostly just get around the C limit, since you aren't going over it in your reference frame, as far as I understand. But you still need to get to the speed you have in your own frame.

Trodon
2012-09-26, 09:12 AM
I have (so far) posted a race, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13952710) a base class, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13957948) and now a prc and golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13959710#post13959710) that I could use some help to make sure they're not to strong, or weak. I have one more class to post, just need to wait until I get a decent name for the goddess. But I'd appreciate any help you're willing to give, thanks.

Edit: Class is done and posted. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257047)

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-09-28, 11:29 AM
I have (so far) posted a race, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13952710) a base class, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13957948) and now a prc and golem (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13959710#post13959710) that I could use some help to make sure they're not to strong, or weak. I have one more class to post, just need to wait until I get a decent name for the goddess. But I'd appreciate any help you're willing to give, thanks.

I'm fairly decent with names. What can you tell me about the godess?

Trodon
2012-09-28, 12:13 PM
I'm fairly decent with names. What can you tell me about the godess?

Oh sorry, I forgot to edit that. I have a name and the class has been posted (which can be found is my sig if you want to have a look), but thanks. :smallsmile:

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-28, 12:20 PM
I am working on a Gladiator 2.0 (If you haven't seen the first, it basicly flips off attempts to kill it, with the capstone litteraly letting you do that) and was thinking about ability scores. I was wondering what people thought.

As a somewhat low level ability, ability DAMAGE cannot reduce a Gladiator's ability scores bellow 1 (Or 3 for Int).

At about level 10, the Gladiator can recover ability score damage at a rate of 1 point per round. Improving by a point every 10 levels. The Gladiator can decide what ability score is healed.

At a higher level, the Gladiator turns ability score DRAIN into ability score damage.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-08, 03:06 PM
Did this thread die, or what?

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-15, 01:04 PM
I'm working on changing invisibility around a bit.

The idea is that people who are invisible can see other invisible people. The only thing I know similar to it is in LotR, when Frodo puts on the ring and sees the unseen.

Basically, I see this working in two ways. One, I nerf invisibility, and two, I increase its value. One could always try and also defeat invisibility with a spot or listen check...or they could also go invisible to check if someone else was.

Anybody have some thoughts or advice on this. I won't be offended if you think it a terrible idea, just wanted to get some outside opinions. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2012-10-15, 01:53 PM
That sounds wonderful. You'd have to figure out what to do with things like see invisibility and true seeing though.

Eldan
2012-10-15, 02:20 PM
Isn't that, basically, ethereality? I'd suggest making two stages of etherealness and dropping invisibility. Stage one, you are invisible, stage two, you are bodyless as well.

Morph Bark
2012-10-15, 02:30 PM
Even if fluff-wise you make it a form of semi-ethereality, that's no reason to drop invisibility as a spell itself.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-16, 06:15 AM
It does act kind of like ethereal, but I'd say that Invisibility would be a fine name for lesser ethereal if we were going that route. See invisibility would be the same, you wouldn't have to go invisible to see invisible things. Maybe it turns your eyes invisible? :smalleek: That actually sounds more like true seeing. See invisibility just grants you the power, true seeing could do something to your eyes.

The idea kind of diminishes these spells a bit...what level are they compared to invisibility and greater invisibility?

Morph Bark
2012-10-16, 01:32 PM
See Invisibility and Invisibility are both level 2. Greater Invisibility is level 3. True Seeing is level 6. (All taken from the Sor/Wiz spell lists. Other lists deviate slightly by one level up. (Or down in case of True Seeing for Clerics.))

celtois
2012-10-16, 02:20 PM
Since we're sharing. I'm working slowly towards a version 1.0 of my d6 rpg, and the associated ancient greek inspired setting I created it for.

Its actually pretty funny how the system has progressed, it started off as a d&d re-write and its gone about about as far from that as you can go. :smallbiggrin:

Lord of Shadows
2012-10-18, 09:19 PM
I have been compiling and tweaking a community project that existed here on the Giant in the Playground a few years ago, called the Tears of Blood Campaign Setting. It spanned several years and many forums, and a lot of good material was created. Unfortunately, it never got past the "under construction" phase, at least not on here, and the forums were eventually closed and then deleted.

It is a campaign setting based on the idea of a world that has been devastated by a plague and is just beginning to recover. But forces are at work that could take the setting either way: to rise from the ashes or to descend into oblivion.

Take a look if you are interested, or remember that special time when it was being built:

The Tears of Blood Campaign Setting

Tears of Blood Homepage (http://tears-of-blood.weebly.com/)

Current Tears of Blood Forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241728)

Save your tears, my fetid friends, the dead have Wept enough!

A homebrew campaign setting based on material originally appearing in the Tears of Blood forums on the Giant in The Playground website between 2004 and 2009, as well as additional new material. Updated for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Tears of Blood is designed to be a high-fantasy, gritty, and dangerous place. It is a world in which magic is common but suspect, and not accepted by all, for both the Divine and the Arcane proved useless against a devastating and unnatural plague. Called The Weeping, it left damaged or shattered civilizations in its wake and twisted wrecks of some of its survivors.

Religion is based on a system known as the Five Gods, there are new races (and retooling of existing ones), and of course new enemies. The core races also exist, but slightly altered. Humans have new cultures and religions, Dwarves are organized into mercenary Clans, and instead of Half-elves there area the Feldarin, once the Imperial Overlords of the continent, now reduced to a fraction of their former power.

Elves were spawned from the Feldarin through a bargain made with a malevolent being with devastating consequences. Halflings are the Lords of the Seas, Gnomes ride great mechanical vessels and populate the realms both far beneath and high above the surface, and "Orrks" are deeply religious jungle dwellers with a penchant for sacrificial offerings.

New in this setting are the reflective Giantkin, the twisted Plaguetouched and the unnatural Fleshwrought.

Yora
2012-10-23, 06:03 AM
I am looking for ideas for nature deities. Forgotten Realms has a bunch of good ones but I already picked that one clean. Does anyone have any pointers for where to look for more examples?

Eldan
2012-10-23, 06:27 AM
I suppose you already looked into mythology? Finnish, celtic?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 07:27 AM
Do you want "Nature" specifically, as in, trees and grass and little rabbits? If so, then: Death god, insect god, decay god, plague god.

I am working on a Gladiator 2.0 (If you haven't seen the first, it basicly flips off attempts to kill it, with the capstone litteraly letting you do that) and was thinking about ability scores. I was wondering what people thought.

As a somewhat low level ability, ability DAMAGE cannot reduce a Gladiator's ability scores bellow 1 (Or 3 for Int).

At about level 10, the Gladiator can recover ability score damage at a rate of 1 point per round. Improving by a point every 10 levels. The Gladiator can decide what ability score is healed.

At a higher level, the Gladiator turns ability score DRAIN into ability score damage.

People seemed to gloss over this, so I suppose I should ask it again.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-23, 07:36 AM
People seemed to gloss over this, so I suppose I should ask it again.

I see no questions stated, only information. What would you like to have? Just feedback?

Edit: I've never seen a regeneration and drainer in the same build. It's an interesting idea! What tier are you looking at making it to?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 07:45 AM
It's not draining in and of itself, it turns drain it receives into damage, which can then be regenerated.

I'm aiming for about tier 3, but if I hit borderline tier 2, I don't mind.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-23, 07:51 AM
Oooooooooh, I see. If the ability healing is part of the build, you may want to think of something else or make it a bit more...potent or often. Otherwise spell with trump it before it ever gets much use.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 07:57 AM
Perhaps up the points healed per round? Perhaps to something like 1 point per three levels? With the additional caveat that multiple ability scores that are damaged regenerate simultaneously?

As in, a 6th level Gladiator 2.0 takes 4 points of damage to both strength and dexterity, after two rounds, he's back to full strength.

Yora
2012-10-23, 07:58 AM
Do you want "Nature" specifically, as in, trees and grass and little rabbits? If so, then: Death god, insect god, decay god, plague god.
I am looking for gods that exist independent of mortal worshippers. A god of hunting would fit, while a god of war would not. Similar, gods of art, trade, or forges would be gods of mortal activities which would have no meaning without anyone performing them.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-23, 08:00 AM
How about every 5? So 1 point every 5 levels. That way you're just doubling, and it makes the ability more applicable overall.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-10-23, 08:04 AM
Alright, I'll crack open a few mythology books I have lying around and I'll see what I find.

DracoDei
2012-10-23, 01:11 PM
These days other things have distracted me from brewing... with one exception.

That exception is the Grace-Gift (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229090), which I am currently playtesting: IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240710) OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240688).

Unfortunately it is even harder than usual to get feedback on it due to the fact that it is basically a mini-splat-book worth of material to absorb, in the form of a single class. The fact that I don't have the energy for much critiquing of other people's work these days may also be contributing to it. I actually about as much feedback at DragonCon (historically a horrible place to try to get feedback) than I have in all the months I have been working on it here.

It is actually pretty depressing.

I have HEARD from one person that it might technically be a "leader" rather than a "defender". And yes, it IS 3.X/PF NOT 4E.