PDA

View Full Version : Rogue: Clandestine Operations v. 0.99! (Comments are appreciated)

Kensen
2012-09-28, 05:54 AM
In Rogue: Clandestine Operations, the player characters are medieval spies, assassins, thieves and resistance fighters. The world of Rogue is harsh and deadly, and they must rely on good plans, underhanded tactics, lies, disguises, concealed weapons and the latest in infiltration equipment to successfully complete their missions.

Game features:

There are eight skills in the game: Archery, Awareness, Fighting, Gadgetry, Guile, Legerdemain, Mobility and Stealth. The same action resolution mechanic is used for all checks: roll 3d6, add modifiers and compare it with a target number.

Equipment includes armor, melee & ranged weapons, disguises & forgeries, and equipment for observation & measurement, signaling & alarm, poisons & medication, ignition & illumination, entry & pursuit denial, methods of entry, and load-carrying items.

In combat, each character has eight action points that can be used for moving, picking up objects, drawing weapons, attacking and so on. Each character also has eight life points, and a character who is dealt damage also loses a like number of action points.

It's easy to customize the skills and equipment for different settings or styles of play.

From character creation to skill use and combat, the game is designed to run fast and smoothly. This makes Rogue well-suited for play-by-post adventures as well as tabletop gaming.

For more information on the game rules, see the Rogue: Clandestine Operations rules reference: HTML (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjfBKMVc1_KcdGxNN0pMdlIzRG8tcXZsajNfMkU0S nc&output=html) | PDF (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjfBKMVc1_KcdGxNN0pMdlIzRG8tcXZsajNfMkU0S nc&output=pdf) (hosted by Google Docs)

The rules reference is automatically updated when I make changes, so it's always up to date.

Upcoming playtest scenarios

Because the most recent rules updates brought major changes to how combat works, the first playtest scenario with the new rules will be combat-oriented. (Nb. Usually it's a good idea to avoid combat in Rogue, but in some scenarios it cannot be avoided.)

Ideas for later scenarios: abductions, ambush, assassination, burglary/heist, espionage, infiltration, investigation, raids, sabotage

Background information

Since its inception, Rogue: Clandestine Operations has gone through substantial changes and I felt that most of the discussions in the old thread are no longer relevant for the current ruleset and may in fact distract any new readers. The game needs a fresh start, and therefore, I decided to start a new thread.

So far, I've run two playtest scenarios (two groups each): Capturing von Richter and Storm over Eisendorf. Due to scheduling issues, the latter scenario had to be canceled when we were about halfway through it.

The players and I agreed that the latter scenario was too long, and it was decided that it's better to play several short scenarios (approximately the same length as the first playtest).

Old development thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224297)
Playtest 2: Garrote (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241441), Rooks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241443)
Playtest 1: Garrote (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225356), Rooks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225399)

SamBurke
2012-09-28, 03:39 PM
MMMM. YES. NEW THREAD SMELL.

Also, I knew we had an Alisa, but do you perhaps mean Alyera, not Alyssa? (Or they both from Team Rook?)

Heian
2012-09-28, 04:10 PM
Two suggestions:

1st make Mobility penality count in Archery DC

2nd Add a range/size modifier in Archery DC

Kensen
2012-09-28, 05:40 PM
Oops..! this is why I always call her Aly :D at any rate, the two names would be too similar if they were iconics. Ahh and yes the smell of a new thread. There's nothing quite like it!

Thanks for the suggestions, Heian! Mobility penalty from armor is tricky because it would basically cancel out the benefit of wearing armor. That's why I made the exception. Range penalties certainly make sense, but I' ve not included them to keep things simple. I'll think about it. :)

bobthe6th
2012-10-01, 09:03 PM
this looks very cool... any chance to get in on the playtesting?

Eldest
2012-10-01, 10:45 PM
Hooray, another playtester! How many of the other people from the playtest are still here?

Kensen
2012-10-02, 02:18 AM
this looks very cool... any chance to get in on the playtesting?

Yes, I'd say you have a very good chance to get in on the playtesting. :smallsmile:

Eldest: I'll PM our playtesters if necessary. I'm sure we'll get five playtesters, which should be many enough for the next scenario.

Speaking of which, I'll simply call it The Ambush! As I mentioned before, it'll be a more combat-oriented scenario to test the updated combat rules. I still need to work on the details, but basically you'll just have to kill a target in broad daylight, and get away before the bodyguards get you (or kill them too!) Even though it's a combat mission, I expect you to do some planning, use traps and distractions if feasible, and use the layout of the map to your advantage (alleys, roofs, and so on). Besides the combat skills, Guile, Stealth and other non-combat skills will also be useful to successfully set up your trap.

Eldest
2012-10-02, 10:37 AM
Lydia is a cat burglar who knows how to fight. This will be fun.

bobthe6th
2012-10-02, 10:43 AM
thinking about making a high mobility fighter, an abusing the TWF rules. could be exciting.

Kensen
2012-10-02, 11:55 AM
Yeah, Lydia has just the right skills for this. :) you're in, Eldest. And so are you, bobthe6th. You may create your playtest character.

Eldest & everyone who's played in the previous playtests: Add +5 xp for completing the first half of Storm Over Eisendorf, and use 100 EP to buy equipment. (The rules regarding equipment points are new so I think it's fair everyone gets the same number of EP regardless of what equipment they previously had.. this may mean you cannot use your special weapon in this scenario because many rare or expensive items cost so much). Try and see if the new equipment rules make sense (slotted items like belts, concealed slots, etc.)

New playtesters: use 100 XP and 100 EP as per the rules reference.

bobthe6th
2012-10-02, 12:11 PM
this legit?

{table=start]skills|rank
guile|1(5)
gadgetry|0(0)
Legerdemain|4(15)
awareness|1(5)
stealth|1(5)
mobility|10(50)
archery|0(0)
fighting|6(20)
[/table]
equipment
belt(5)
bandolier(5)
2xshort sword(50)
6xthrowing knives(30)
normal clothes(5)
cloak(1)

Kensen
2012-10-02, 02:07 PM
That's probably the most specialized Rogue build I've seen so far, but 100% legit. And you managed to fill up each of your 11 belt and bandoleer slots with weapons, impressive. :D He/she is certainly the right person for this job. Two things, though:

The belt has both front and rear slots, so it's useful to know which item is where because AP cost for drawing is different and rear slots are usually considered concealed, which makes it possible to draw a weapon discreetly. I presume you put 5 throwing knives on the bandoleer and 3 in the belt's rear slots, and the sword and main gauche are in the front slots for easier drawing?

Also, choose a style for your clothes. "Urban“ is a safe bet in this scenario unless you specifically want to stand out.

And of course, give your character a name and write a paragraph or two of backstory. What did he do before and why did he join the resistance?

bobthe6th
2012-10-02, 02:24 PM
Well, the idea was a high speed muscle... though I hope the mobility and legerdemain can allow him to be useful outside of stabbing people in the face.

I was thinking of the two melee weapons to be in the back, to hide the more illicit parts of his armament. unless the AP penalty is over 2, I think he can deal with it.

Urban sounds good, matching the city to a degree.

And yeah, I was just throwing up the crunchy bits before I made it into a person. Would rather have a solid build before I make a history and life for him.

Now I shall start characterizing.

bobthe6th
2012-10-02, 02:35 PM
Back story, for your perusal.

James Dark-child

James grew up in the shadows of the empire. His father was in the army, an officer that carried his family along with him. He was a strong man, part of the garrison holding (insert city name). He taught his son to fight, the art of swordsmanship.

When James was ten, the war broke out. The city was sacked, his father slain and his mother executed. He escaped with his life and little else.

He bounced from city to city, stealing enough to feed himself. He learned to run, and he ran well. At 18 he was approached by the resistance, and he saw a chance to take his vengeance.

Eldest
2012-10-02, 04:10 PM
Lydia Somborg
Female

Backstory
Lydia was a burglar, who knew the rooftops and sewers of cities just as well as the streets. She had a slight hiccup on her last job, where she tried to steal something that the resistance already had it's eye on. She was recruited post-haste, gaining the resistance both the documents it was after and a good thief. After being selected as a cell leader, she managed to orchestrate the capture of Captain von Richter. Her next mission was to infiltrate and destroy a truth serum under development, which was aborted mid-infiltration.

Skills
Guile: +5 (15 xp spent)
Gadgetry: +6 (20 xp spent)
Legerdemain: -
Awareness: +4 (11 xp spent)
Stealth: +7 (26 xp spent)
Mobility: +7 (26 xp spent)
Archery: -
Fighting: +5 (15 xp spent)

2 xp unspent

Equipment

Lockpicks - 25
Normal Urban Cloths - 5
Knife - 5
Rope- 5
Tool Kit (medium) - 20
Small Backpack - 15
Grappling Hook - 15
10 left unspent.

I know you mentioned Fighting checks for throwing large objects; what would the stats on a javelin be?

Kensen
2012-10-03, 02:00 AM
Well, the idea was a high speed muscle... though I hope the mobility and legerdemain can allow him to be useful outside of stabbing people in the face.

I was thinking of the two melee weapons to be in the back, to hide the more illicit parts of his armament. unless the AP penalty is over 2, I think he can deal with it.

Specialization has its advantages and disadvantages, and there's nothing wrong with that. :smallsmile: Actually, looking at his stats, someone like Jet Li or Jackie Chan comes to mind - superb agility (catch him if you can!), great close combat skills, and good manual dexterity as well.

Actually, the short sword, main gauche and throwing knives have the same legality status: restricted. So you're only allowed to carry them if you have a bodyguard licence or something like that. But a simple cloak will solve your problem. You'll just toss the cloak aside before the action begins. (I noticed I haven't included cloak in the clothes sets, so you'll get one for free.)

Back story, for your perusal.

Looks ok! You're all set.

I know you mentioned Fighting checks for throwing large objects; what would the stats on a javelin be?

Note to self: I'll have to figure out a good format for the PCs equipment list so that it's easy to see which items are stored where. In Lydia's case this is not a problem since she only has her backpack to put things into.

Javelin, let's say it's a Large, military only throwing weapon with a +2 bonus and a range of 10. Cost: 10. Sound about right?

Eldest
2012-10-06, 01:03 PM
How about a tomahawk? I'm looking for something medium, ranged, and skilled off of fighting. And cheap.

Laura Eternata
2012-10-06, 02:03 PM
...I take ONE MONTH off from the forums and we start up again. Figures.

Site looks very good. It's intuitive. I'm surprised by the new Life Points rule, though. Am I misreading it, or does it now take 8 successful attacks (using up at least 8 rounds) to take down an opponent? That sort of does away with what made Rogue so well-suited for forum play, doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm back as Seira Thorinhein. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12345272&postcount=7)

Kensen
2012-10-06, 05:51 PM
How about a tomahawk? I'm looking for something medium, ranged, and skilled off of fighting. And cheap.

...I take ONE MONTH off from the forums and we start up again. Figures.

Site looks very good. It's intuitive. I'm surprised by the new Life Points rule, though. Am I misreading it, or does it now take 8 successful attacks (using up at least 8 rounds) to take down an opponent? That sort of does away with what made Rogue so well-suited for forum play, doesn't it?

A successful attack deals 1 pt of damage if your roll equals the target's defense value. You do however deal an extra point of damage for each point your roll exceeds it. So you can kill a target with one attack, and any amount of damage will weaken the target considerably because it loses AP as well.

Anyway, welcome back Laura! :)

As for the tomahawk, I'll add it to the weapons list later and let you know what its stats are.

Eldest
2012-10-06, 06:43 PM
Also, attacks cost 3 AP, so you can attack twice in a round and have a little movement to spare.

Laura Eternata
2012-10-06, 09:30 PM
A successful attack deals 1 pt of damage if your roll equals the target's defense value. You do however deal an extra point of damage for each point your roll exceeds it.

Ah, I missed that part. Wouldn't be a playtest without me misreading something, now, would it? :smallredface:

Also, attacks cost 3 AP, so you can attack twice in a round and have a little movement to spare.

I don't think so. See here:

You can make one attack per round.

It's on the "Combat" page. Looks like multiattacking isn't a thing anymore.

bobthe6th
2012-10-06, 10:42 PM
on the license note, I noticed it was never requested in any of the threads... and getting caught was already a death sentence. but yeah, cloaks would be nice. perhaps like 2-3 AP to remove, but make all slots concealed slots?

unless you TWF(note my character). a question though, do you pay 6AP to TWF? Or one action as a 3AP action?

edit: depending on the answer I might just trade the off hand blade for a shield... +2 is very nice, especially against snipers(22 TN for the win. take that snipers. . also thinking of trading the short for an axe, to open hidden back slots(it is legal, so you can wear it in front, and the shield in back.) that would free up 25 points... and 25 is a good amount of points.

but being armed like a dwarf might seem a bit silly in a rogue game...

edit edit: thinking this would be a great system for a Connan game. power scales more horizontally, so you get guys with +5-6 in everything... or straight +10s. might try running it with my home group.

edit edit edit: for acurate storage how about:

Back:
carrying device: back pack/back sheaths/coat
slot 1:stuff
slot 2:more stuff

Front:
carrying device:bandeliero
slot 1:
slot 2:
slot 3:
slot 4:
slot 5:

belt:
front slot 1:
front slot 2:
front slot 3:
back slot 4:
back slot 5:
back slot 6:

hat:
slot:

Kensen
2012-10-07, 07:46 AM
on the license note, I noticed it was never requested in any of the threads... and getting caught was already a death sentence. but yeah, cloaks would be nice. perhaps like 2-3 AP to remove, but make all slots concealed slots?

unless you TWF(note my character). a question though, do you pay 6AP to TWF? Or one action as a 3AP action?

edit: depending on the answer I might just trade the off hand blade for a shield... +2 is very nice, especially against snipers(22 TN for the win. take that snipers. . also thinking of trading the short for an axe, to open hidden back slots(it is legal, so you can wear it in front, and the shield in back.) that would free up 25 points... and 25 is a good amount of points.

but being armed like a dwarf might seem a bit silly in a rogue game...

edit edit: thinking this would be a great system for a Connan game. power scales more horizontally, so you get guys with +5-6 in everything... or straight +10s. might try running it with my home group.

edit edit edit: for acurate storage how about:

Back:
carrying device: back pack/back sheaths/coat
slot 1:stuff
slot 2:more stuff

Front:
carrying device:bandeliero
slot 1:
slot 2:
slot 3:
slot 4:
slot 5:

belt:
front slot 1:
front slot 2:
front slot 3:
back slot 4:
back slot 5:
back slot 6:

hat:
slot:

Not sure if I understood correctly what you meant with the comment about licences, but the main reason they're there is that some people want to use big weapons despite their drawbacks in stealth missions.

And yeah, in the current iteration of the rules, twf is the only way to make two attacks in a round. Doing so costs 3 + 3 AP. I'll clarify that in the rules.

Being armed like a dwarf... :smallbiggrin: well yes. Or a viking. Axes are legal indeed because a lot of people need them for wood cutting. They're common in rural areas,but are often seen in towns too, particularly in lower-class districts where people do all manual labor themself.

22 is a great ranged defense value.. but against snipers the problem is that you lose all defense bonuses except armor bonus if you're surprised. Luckily though, the rebels don't usually have to worry about snipers, it's generally the rebels who have the advantage of surprise.

If you run a Conan game with your group, feel free to write about it in this thread. Particularly about what house rules you used and what the players liked about the rules and what they didn't like. :)

The inventory could look like what you suggested, thanks. I'll put a sample character sheet in the rules reference sometime soon.

bobthe6th
2012-10-07, 07:41 PM
Not sure if I understood correctly what you meant with the comment about licences, but the main reason they're there is that some people want to use big weapons despite their drawbacks in stealth missions.

they just never seem to come up... anywhere. at all. unless that it is assumed to be checked regularly.

And yeah, in the current iteration of the rules, twf is the only way to make two attacks in a round. Doing so costs 3 + 3 AP. I'll clarify that in the rules.

k

Being armed like a dwarf... :smallbiggrin: well yes. Or a viking. Axes are legal indeed because a lot of people need them for wood cutting. They're common in rural areas,but are often seen in towns too, particularly in lower-class districts where people do all manual labor themself.

they are also cheap as hell, but a -1 to defense might not be conscionable. really, a cloak is needed for this.

22 is a great ranged defense value.. but against snipers the problem is that you lose all defense bonuses except armor bonus if you're surprised. Luckily though, the rebels don't usually have to worry about snipers, it's generally the rebels who have the advantage of surprise.

more snipers as in high skill archers, like the guy with a +10 running around.

Kensen
2012-10-08, 04:39 AM
they just never seem to come up... anywhere. at all. unless that it is assumed to be checked regularly.

Ah, yes you're right, they were never checked in the first two playtests. Well, back when we played the first playtest, the licences didn't even exist. I kind of automatically assumed that people will pick easily concealable weapons, but didn't come to think of that people might want to disguise themselves as hunters or other people for whom it'd make sense to carry bows and other particularly deadly weapons legally. I didn't want to make things difficult for them, so I figured that maybe the Invictus will grant licences to people whose livelihood depends on weapons, such as hunters. So, players can use bigger weapons if they're willing to pay to extra price to get the licence.

In the second playtest everyone either chose legal or concealable weapons OR wore a disguise (soldier's uniform) that allowed them to carry military-only weapons, so it was not necessary to produce a licence. (Only civilians are required to carry weapon permits.)

After the second playtest, I revised the equipment section and assigned a price tag to each item, and uniforms and permits are rather costly. In the upcoming playtest, having a license isn't that much of an issue, but if you want to continue using the same character in any later scenarios, it's a good idea to keep your weapons hidden or have a license. And as I've said many times before in other threads, carrying weapons visibly may attract unwanted attention even if you have a permit.

they are also cheap as hell, but a -1 to defense might not be conscionable. really, a cloak is needed for this.

Yep, added the cloak to the disguises table some time ago. Hmm, dunno if it should be in the load-carrying equipment table after all, because its main function is to conceal slots in other items...

more snipers as in high skill archers, like the guy with a +10 running around.

Yeah very true. NPC Archers with +10 bonuses aren't all that common, really.

Snowfire
2012-10-08, 05:55 AM
So, so in. I'll pull up Alissa from Storm and see what I can do with her for this. Possibly add some mobility if I can. Or she could be the distraction :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Eldest
2012-10-08, 09:25 AM
Yeah very true. NPC Archers with +10 bonuses aren't all that common, really.

I got the feeling from the rules thing that people with 10 ranks are pretty much legends, or at least very widely known.

Kensen
2012-10-08, 03:42 PM
So, so in. I'll pull up Alissa from Storm and see what I can do with her for this. Possibly add some mobility if I can. Or she could be the distraction :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Glad you're back. :) We need one more player and we can get started.

I got the feeling from the rules thing that people with 10 ranks are pretty much legends, or at least very widely known.

Some people of that level of expertise may become famous/infamous for their skills, while others train secretly and keep (or at least try to keep) their identities secret. It really depends on who they work for and whether it's wise to stay under the radar in that profession. Archery champs, for example, may become celebrities, but sniper/assassins usually prefer to remain faceless killers.

MintyNinja
2012-10-08, 04:11 PM
I'm throwing my hat back in the ring. Gimme a bit of time to reread the rules and I'll bring Deryk Arios back from the Thieves Guild.

Edit:

Derryk Arios
Male

{table=head]Skill|Rank|Exp Spent
Guile|2|6
Gadgetry|6|20
Legerdemain|7|26
Awareness|2|6
Stealth|7|26
Mobility|5|15
Archery|0|0
Fighting|2|6[/table]

{table=head]Equipment|Size|Legality|Cost|Stored
Coat|---|Legal|20|Worn
Normal Clothes, Traveller|Medium|Legal|5|Worn
Belt|Small|Legal|5|Worn
Knife|Small|Legal|5|Belt, Front
Tool kit, Small|Small|Legal|15|Coat, Outside Pocket
Lockpicks|Small|Illegal|25|Coat, Inside Pocket
Garrote|Very Small|Illegal|3|Coat, Outside Pocket
Throwing Knife x4|Small|Restricted|20|3 in Coat Pockets, 1 in Belt[/table]

Backstory:
Derryk spent most of his life on the wrong side of the law. He had a knack for opening locks and he never let that skill get rusty. Until the war, that is. One of the only times in his life that Derryk had underestimated the security of a building and he ended up paying for it with years in prison. After the war was over, the Resistance staged a jail break. Not for him, of course, but that didn't mitigate his feeling of gratitude to them. Since then his old skills have been put to work in the Thieve's Guild in Eisendorf. After the aborted mission that he assisted with, he began travelling from city to city, doing small jobs for the Resistance.

Physical Appearance:
Derryk Arios is a slight man, with a gaunt look to him. Years in prison on the edge of starvation will do that to a man. His hair is mangy and kept short, blending perfectly into his close cropped beard. His eyes are dull blue and always look tired. His clothes reflect his common appearance and are commonly dark shades of blue and green. He commonly wears travelling clothes and a sturdy coat.

EDIT: Didn't notice the +5 XP for Storm Over Eisendorf. Added to Mobility and Fighting.

Kensen
2012-10-09, 08:59 AM
Alright, we've got five playtesters! (More may still join; I'll just adjust the number of bad guys accordingly.)

I'll give you the mission details sometime soon.

Kensen
2012-10-10, 07:12 AM
Playtest three, The Ambush! Below you can see the map of a city block the target is moving through. He and his bodyguards enter the map from the south and try to move through the area and leave through the north gate. Kill the target!

Ground floor

+-+----+-++..++---+----+
|.0....|/|....!...|....|
|.|......|....+-0-+-0-~+
+~+-0--~-+.............|
|............+-~-~-~-+.|
+-+...+---+..|.......|.|
|/|...|...|..!.......!.|
|.+-0-+...!..|.......|.|
|.........|..!.....+0|.|
+-0-+0+...|..|.....|.|.|
|...|.+-~-+..+--0--+.|.|
|...!..............|/|.|
+-~-+.+---+..+---+.+-+.|
|.....|...|..|...|.....|
|.+-+.|...0..0...|.+---+
|.|.!.|...|..|...|.|/..|
|.+0+.|.+~+..+~+.|.!...|
|.|.0.|/|......|/|.|...|
|.+~+.+-+......+-+.+~-0+
|......................|
+---------+..+---------+

Upper floor

+------+-+. .##########
|......|\| ##########
|........| ##########
+~-~--~-~+ .
. ######### .
+-+ +-~-+ ######### .
|\|~~~|...| #####+~-+ .
|.+...+...| #####|..| .
|.........! #####!..! .
+-~-~-+...| #####++=+ .
##### +-~-+ ######|.| .
##### |\| .
##### +---+ +---+ +~+ .
. |...| |...| .
. ### |...! !...| +-~-+
. ### |...| |...| |\..|
. ### |.+~+ +~+.| !...|
. ### |\| |\| |...|
. ### +-+ +-+ +-~-+
. .
........... ...........

. ground, floor or the top of a wall
# rooftop
+ - | wall
/ \ stairs up, stairs down
0 door
! ~ window

Time to start planning. I'll make a thread for this sometime soon.

Eldest
2012-10-10, 09:35 AM
I nominate myself to retain the role of team leader. :smalltongue:

Ok, we have a pair of mobile melee fighters, a sneak-thief, and... Laura Eternata, I remember you being an archer, but the link doesn't work for me. And I think Alissa's a gadgetry person. Again, can't find the sheet.

So put up a few traps, Derryk does a (falsely) botched pickpocket job to lure them into the alley, Lydia and James jump the target while Siera is overwatch. Seems simple.

Laura Eternata
2012-10-10, 02:49 PM
...but the link doesn't work for me.

That's... annoying. Even a google search is turning up the "invalid post" thing now. It was working the other day. I'll have to remake her, I guess. I'll try to find the time tonight. Anyway, plan seems solid enough. If it comes up (which it shouldn't, but might), how okay are we with civilian casualties?

Eldest
2012-10-10, 03:16 PM
That's... annoying. Even a google search is turning up the "invalid post" thing now. It was working the other day. I'll have to remake her, I guess. I'll try to find the time tonight. Anyway, plan seems solid enough. If it comes up (which it shouldn't, but might), how okay are we with civilian casualties?

I have the feeling we've talked about innocent deaths before...
Let's say we'll take hostages if needed, but not killing. And preferably no hostages.

bobthe6th
2012-10-10, 05:41 PM
What level of secrecy do we want? do we care if anyone sees the attack?

edit: also, removed 2 throwing daggers, switched the gauche for another short, and added a cloak. now 4 points over, but oh well.

Kensen
2012-10-11, 04:08 AM
Public opinion is important, so killing civilians is unadvisable. However, killing the target is very important, so if collateral damage cannot be avoided, do what you must.

Speaking of the target, he goes by the name Rogar. He has information about rebel hideouts and agents that could be devastating if he gets a chance to divulge the information to the Invictus.

As for the level of secrecy, as usual, it's recommended to do it as secretly as possible. But seeing that you have no chance but to attack him in the open, and things can get really messy, it may be very difficult to kill him without any onlookers noticing it. The Resistance HQ is aware of these difficulties and grants you the permission to deal with the problem as you see fit.

Kensen
2012-10-11, 07:58 AM
IC thread is up!!! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14033120)

Laura Eternata
2012-10-11, 03:45 PM
Seira Thorinhein Mark II:

Guile: +6 (20 xp spent)
Gadgetry: -
Legerdemain: -
Awareness: +8 (33 xp spent)
Stealth: -
Mobility: +5 (15 xp spent)
Archery: +8 (33 xp spent)
Fighting: +2 (7 xp spent)

7 xp unspent

Equipment:
Bow, quiver, hunting permit, normal clothes (hunter), belt, rope, ladder.

Melee Defense: 12
Ranged Defense: 15

Snowfire
2012-10-11, 08:21 PM
Gyaaaa! Sorry, utterly forgot/missed the later posts (I think I forgot to hit subscribe). I will have Alissa's sheet up in a bit.

Also, for reference, Alissa is a pure front line fighter. Alyera was the trap lady. Alissa spent a rather considerable portion of her life fighting against Invictus forces during the invasion. And I need to rebuild her unfortunately, as I lost my saved copy of her sheet due to computer crash - and the old thread is gone as far as I'm aware.

Eldest
2012-10-11, 08:37 PM
Ok, I'll be switching around assignments then soon. It'll be after you put your character sheet up, though.

Kensen
2012-10-12, 02:58 AM
Yep, the previous recruitment thread seems to have vanished. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I hope you have the time to make a new version of your character's sheet. You can start posting in the IC thread -- your teammates know you're a melee fighter so you and they can plan accordingly even if they don't know your exact stats. Basically, I need to know your locations when the bad guys enter the map, and whether you're hiding (may require Stealth checks) or pretending to be one of the locals (may require Guile checks and will definitely require a suitable disguise.)

MintyNinja
2012-10-15, 12:42 PM
As to the map you have posted: I meant for Seira to be on the rooftop a little north of where she currently is, that way she can also see the central area. I believe we're missing someone as well, starts with an A. No idea where they're going, or what their doing.

Kensen
2012-10-15, 03:43 PM
Ok, I'll update the map later. Yep, snowfire's character is missing, but so is snowfire himself. If he doesn't show up, we'll just have to play without him I guess. There's still a little time left before combat begins so it's not too late yet.

Kensen
2012-10-16, 02:24 AM
Snowfire's PM box is full, so I'll post this here where everyone can see it.

MintyNinja and bobthe6th seem to be all set, but Laura and Eldest should tell me where they want their characters to be when the fighting begins, and if there's any other preparations I should know of.

And Snowfire, it's still possible to join, but if you intend to do so, please do it quickly.

I'll wait until Wednesday, and then we're hopefully ready to roll initiative.

Eldest
2012-10-29, 01:33 PM
Ok, I think I found a problem with using this game over PbP; planning. Any sort of mechanic that rewards extensive planning will bog down the game a lot in a PbP setting, while this whole ambush would take about 15 minutes of real time to plan out, including buying extra things with the mission-specific EPs and have a much better plan than "jump them when they get into the street."

MintyNinja
2012-10-29, 03:02 PM
True. Something like this takes more back and forth communication to actually be done well. I'd suggest Chat Pads like "PiratePad."

Kensen
2012-10-29, 04:18 PM
I'm afraid you're right about that. Playing in PbP would probably work best if the players didn't have too many options and they were mostly only required to be reactive not proactive.

So, mission structure should be different. More straightforward, less time to think. Using instincts and relying on training. You don't have one day to prepare, you don't even have 15 minutes. You have one round, make it count.

Well, we'll try that next if there'll be another playtest.

Eldest
2012-10-29, 04:28 PM
:smalleek:

That sounds bad for the players.

But yeah, either of those suggestions works. A real time chat thing, or having much less planning (in which case the mission EPs should be provided by the DM in the form of useful equipment nearby, as well as some permissiveness with them searching for stuff: e.g. you look for rope, you find it).

EDIT: You also need to give a bonus to the tomahawk.

MintyNinja
2012-11-08, 02:47 AM
Okay, haphazard critique time:

Negative: Inter-player coordination. We bombed on this section. May just be a fact of working PbP, but damn. I would suggest something like PiratePad (http://piratepad.net/front-page/) (Click the Frog for a free Chat Pad)

Positive: Other skills still used. I liked being able to help with decent Lockpicking and Stealth. Another interesting scenario would be secretly assassinating someone in a crowded place.

Negative: Initiative. Keeping a list helps players know what order actions are getting resolved. Something small like that can change a lot of plans.

Positive: Combat, when we eventually got to it, was quick. A few slashes here, an arrow there. They got decimated quickly and I think we were able to not die well enough.

Neutral: Individual player interest is a fickle thing. I found myself forgetting about this game more often than I meant too. Everyone will have their own way of playing, but yeah, sometimes it just won't work out.

Kensen
2012-11-12, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the critique, MintyNinja! Below are some of my thoughts about the good and the bad you mentioned.

Okay, haphazard critique time:

Negative: Inter-player coordination. We bombed on this section. May just be a fact of working PbP, but damn. I would suggest something like PiratePad (http://piratepad.net/front-page/) (Click the Frog for a free Chat Pad)

Yes, making plans was rather inefficient. It'd require either fast communication (which may include using a chat pad or something) or one person calling the shots. Lydia was the leader, but since Eldest had problems with the subscription, he was mostly absent during the planning phase.

Positive: Other skills still used. I liked being able to help with decent Lockpicking and Stealth. Another interesting scenario would be secretly assassinating someone in a crowded place.

Well yes, I like it that all skills have some utility in all kinds of scenarios. Besides Gadgetry to pick the lock and Stealth, James used Mobility very efficiently and Guile was used once or twice too. And Awareness, of course, is used every time someone uses Stealth, albeit usually passively.

Negative: Initiative. Keeping a list helps players know what order actions are getting resolved. Something small like that can change a lot of plans.

Hmm yes I guess it would have been a good idea. Though I had all the bad guys act on the same initiative count and all the PCs beat their init so it was basically just "your turn" and "their turn". But I'll keep that in mind.

Positive: Combat, when we eventually got to it, was quick. A few slashes here, an arrow there. They got decimated quickly and I think we were able to not die well enough.

Yep. Even though it's not as easy to one-shot an opponent as it was before, it's still fairly easy to hurt them so badly that they cannot retaliate. So, a good first round will largely determine the outcome of the battle if the numbers are even.

Neutral: Individual player interest is a fickle thing. I found myself forgetting about this game more often than I meant too. Everyone will have their own way of playing, but yeah, sometimes it just won't work out.

Well, other than trying to make the game interesting for the players, I guess there's little a GM can do about it. :smalleek:

Eldest
2012-11-12, 10:28 AM
The Good: The skills work well, and most all of them show up in fight scenes. It was fast and well played, and the smaller mission type helped out with making sure people didn't lose interest or have the scenario drag out too long.

The Bad: Planning time was a pain, between my failure to subscribe properly and just the delay in planning overall. The 100 extra EPs for this mission didn't get used at all, and the 100 EPs you gave us barely gave Lydia at least the gear she needs to be a generally useful member of the team. Also, I would have liked to know which one Rogar is, or at least know that I didn't know. If you know what I mean.

The Ugly: Actually, the suggested fix. Either up the amount of EPs given to each character by 25-50, or be very generous as to what's lying around at the mission start. Also, I'm going to repeat my suggestion of having the group do some sort of online chat or such in real time, so that we can plan out what's going on. Either that, or the leader plans exhaustively for everything, or a situation where we don't have time to plan. In addition, a report of what happens after mission end would be appreciated.