PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] Theme Set: Occupations (PEACH)

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-30, 05:05 PM
Hello, Homebrew forums! It has been well over a year since last any project of mine has seen the light of day; I have spent many months over at the Play-by-Post part of the forum, and have been lax in the enjoyable passtime of homebrew! So, I will be posting some new ideas as they are developed and finalized, for perusal and critique as I once did.

This thread will have a number of themes (a new mechanic that I absolutely adore, which has made me love heroic tier once again) that are related to fleshing out potential character occupations. I will edit them into this opening post as I create them.

PEACH!

The Grifter:
Prerequisite: Trained in Bluff.
“Yeah, I own the bridge. It can be yours, y'know. I'm not gettin' much use out of it, but it could be the 'Wilbur Jenkins' bridge real quick. Yep, just sign here, and here...”

Before turning to the adventuring life, you made your living by lying to people. More often than not, you'd insinuate yourself into the lives of others with the express purpose of robbing them blind. Selling things you don't own, stealing priceless pieces of art or jewelry... and more often than not, you duped the clueless mark into handing you the goods personally!

Whatever your reasons for giving up the trade, you've retained the skill set. Perhaps you haven't given it up at all; adventuring is just a convenient diversion while you continue to put your elaborate schemes into place. People in your line of work have a saying; adventurers are the ripest marks around. Maybe you've got your party wound around your little finger, or maybe they know all about your unsavoury habits. Whatever the case, you're a skilled liar and more than a little fond of being rich.

Grifter Level 1 Feature – You gain the silver tongue encounter power.
Grifter Level 5 Feature – You gain a +2 power bonus to bluff and thievery checks.
Grifter Level 10 Feature – During a turn in which you have spent an action point, you can roll a bluff check to create a diversion as a minor action, as opposed to the usual standard action required for such a check.

Silver Tongue
No, no, really! Your security here is by far the most impressive I've seen!
Encounter *
Free Action Personal
Trigger: You roll a bluff check and dislike the result
Effect: Reroll the check, and take either result.

Optional Powers:
Accidental Theft – Level 2 Utility Power
Oh, so sorry to have bumped into you! Let me help you with your things...
Encounter *
Move Action Personal
Effect: You can shift a number of squares up to half your speed, passing through other creatures' spaces as desired, as long as you end the shift in an unoccupied space. You can make a thievery check to pick the pockets (taking the -10 penalty as usual if in combat) of any creature whose square you pass through as a free action. If the thievery check fails, roll a bluff check opposed by the target's passive insight; on a success, the target does not take note of the failed theft.

Distracting Chatter - Level 6 Utility Power
Yoo-hoo! Over here, yes, me!
Encounter *
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Roll a bluff check, opposed by the passive insight of any enemy that can hear you. Any enemy whose passive insight is lower than your check result cannot make an opportunity attack against you until the end of your current turn. After the end of your current turn, you are considered to occupy all unoccupied adjacent squares for the purposes of determining whether you flank an enemy until the start of your next turn.

Insane Diversion - Level 10 Utility Power
Run! There's a dragon in the basement! Everyone get out!
Daily *
Standard Action Close Burst Sight
Target: Each enemy you can see
Effect: Roll a bluff check, opposed by the target's will defense. On a success, you can slide the target a number of squares equal to its speed, it grants combat advantage (save ends) and the target cannot take a move action on its next turn. If the bluff check fails, the target grants combat advantage until the start of your next turn.

In The Works:
The Weaponsmith, the Armorer, the Jeweler, the Performer, the Watchman and the Rancher.

Waargh!
2012-09-30, 06:30 PM
I like the theme. My views:
Silver Tongue: nice

Accidental theft: you should specify that this is done outside a combat, so basically against non-hostile creatures. It seems more fit if you make it against one creature only and require a Bluff check for the "I am sorry I bumped into you".

Distracting chatter: I feel it is a bit underpowered, maybe allow a Bluff check against Will and offer an additional bonus?

Insane diversion: useful and fun :)

Shadow_Elf
2012-09-30, 08:08 PM
I like the theme. My views:
Silver Tongue: nice

Accidental theft: you should specify that this is done outside a combat, so basically against non-hostile creatures. It seems more fit if you make it against one creature only and require a Bluff check for the "I am sorry I bumped into you".

Distracting chatter: I feel it is a bit underpowered, maybe allow a Bluff check against Will and offer an additional bonus?

Insane diversion: useful and fun :)

Thanks for the input! I've changed a few things to clarify some powers and follow some of your suggestions. Hopefully the theme works better now :smallsmile:.