PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways IC II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Koren n'Rhys
2013-03-26, 08:40 AM
Mycah

Mycah makes quick work of his search and returns the loot and his report back across the bridge in short order. Squaring his shoulders and taking a deep breath, he recrosses and approaches the bodies, knife in hand. He sets to work removing the heads despite his distaste, wanting to show he's not going to shy from what needs to be done. He then returns and adds his trophies to the grisly collection that's resulted from Nathros' work.

Nevaera
2013-03-26, 09:23 AM
ASH

Ash nods to Alanna, "Nh."
Then she treks back to her pack while she ponders.

When she is among her group again, she'll make sure the horses are calm and tied off or held while the - heads... are loaded onto one of the carts.
"Looks like we'll have to walk."
"I'm not sure who's going to offer coin for those, but I suppose our deeds will go without question upon presenting them."

Ash seems to intend to walk back tonight, if looting and leaving doesn't take much longer.

Frivolous
2013-03-26, 12:38 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks simultaneously very pleased and disappointed with the loot gathered. He keeps asking Mycah, making a nuisance of himself, "Are you -sure- there's nothing left on the bodies? No spellbooks, or large gemstones?"

Eventually he gives up and stares down in bewilderment at the assembled jewelry and small gems Mycah acquired from the hobgoblin leaders.

"I don't get it. Where is their spellbook? Could one of these smaller gemstones be it?"

He looks glum, "I was really hoping to capture a grimoire... Maybe my fire arrow did burn up the spellbook in their tent."

Nevaera
2013-03-27, 11:07 AM
ASH

If no one objects and the looting is finished, Ash will orchestrate the group's return to Threshold.

Roland St. Jude
2013-03-27, 11:32 AM
The group can be organized for the return, though it is clear by the late hour in the afternoon that a decision will need to be made about whether to travel during the night or make camp in the sparsely wooded hills. The party begins its journey, and there is ample time to decide before nightfall.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-03-27, 12:19 PM
Bran looks simultaneously very pleased and disappointed with the loot gathered. He keeps asking Mycah, making a nuisance of himself, "Are you -sure- there's nothing left on the bodies? No spellbooks, or large gemstones?"

"I'm sorry, Bran, but that's all there was. A book would be pretty hard to miss. And those few gems are all I found as well. They seemed to have more jewelry than anything. I'm more curious if any of it was magical." He pauses and looks towards the ravine. "We'll have to hire someone to check them now, I suppose."

MeanMrsMustard
2013-03-27, 03:32 PM
Alanna thinks it's important to be rested, so when the time comes to decide on what to do after nightfall, she'll vote to sleep.

Nevaera
2013-03-27, 05:17 PM
ASH

Ash can try to patch up anyone with injuries if Alanna hasn't cast her spells.

Ash believes the group will be safer in armor and poised for battle by walking in the night rather than allowing themselves to let their guard down by camping and sleeping.

"We can probably make it back only a few hours past sundown. Once we've gotten past the walls of Threshold, the guards will keep us safe and ALL of us will be well rested for the morrow. I think we'd be sitting ducks in a camp."

Her reasoning, "If there are any beings out near us in the night, they'll either attack us unarmoured in a camp, avoid us, or they'll underestimate us and do battle on our way back. If we go straight back, there'll be far less chances of encountering a foe out here simply based on the amount of time we're spending beyond the walls."

Healing rolls DC10

Mycah:[roll0]Brandon:[roll1] Edit: Bran gets back 2hp = full hp, I thinkNathros:[roll2] Edit: Nathros gets back 2hp, still down by two.Alanna:[roll3]

Matthew
2013-03-27, 09:14 PM
"If these hobgoblins were in contact with somebody, it might be that individual will come here sooner or later. We could keep watch here and wait to find out who."

Nevaera
2013-03-27, 11:10 PM
ASH

"I hadn't thought of that. Not sure camping will give us any kind of an advantage, but it'd be good to know who trained those hobgoblins in magic or who exactly was behind their potential involvement against Threshold.
It would have been nice to have someone to interrogate - wait, weren't some of the hobgoblins put to sleep? Are any of them bound and still alive?"
She frowns in reminiscence of the one who cast the spells.

Frivolous
2013-03-28, 08:17 AM
The fallen hobgoblins each have a short sword, short-hafted spear, crummy padded clothing or leather armor, and a few coins. Twenty gold pieces worth of assorted coins can be gathered from the fallen and small stashes in the various tents. The tents themselves hold a small amount of foodstuff, but nothing of an enticing quality, and little else of value. The sleeping arrangements appear to be communal, and one of the tents has been ruined by flame. Nathros' rough count, though, suggests it's unlikely they could have bedded down more hobgoblins than they've slain. This was probably all of them.

Brandon Bor

Bran stares meditatively at the concealed bridge across the ravine.

"You know... What if the magic-users weren't just running away from us? What if they were running towards something?"

"Could it be there is another camp for the hobgoblin magic-users, only on the other side of the ravine? The tents we found on this side of the ravine all suck. Powerful magic-users would have a private tent of their own, wouldn't they? A nice tent or something."

He pauses, then adds, "I figure the hobgoblins were mercenaries. If so, where's their pay? Unless you count all this jewelry to be it."

Nevaera
2013-03-28, 09:22 AM
ASH

"I suppose that's plausible, Brandon. You're quite set on solving this, aren't you?
"I surmise they were just hoping they could get across the ravine before we killed them and that we wouldn't be able to follow them so long as we didn't figure out their little trick."

Frivolous
2013-03-28, 10:00 AM
ASH

"I suppose that's plausible, Brandon. You're quite set on solving this, aren't you?
"I surmise they were just hoping they could get across the ravine before we killed them and that we wouldn't be able to follow them so long as we didn't figure out their little trick."

Brandon Bor

Bran smiles and shrugs modestly. "I'm good with puzzles."

"The problem is that I don't think any of us can safely cross wearing more than leather armor. The hobgoblins weren't wearing any."

"But I don't want to send Mycah across alone to search. That could be dangerous."

I forgot to mention IC, the hobs have 4 long swords, 3 short swords, 12 short-shafted spears, and 23 gp worth of assorted local coinage between them. Also, they each wear padded clothes or leather jerkins.

He looks at the pile of the hobgoblin's leather armor and chews on his lower lip.

"How about we put on this disgusting lice-ridden leather armor and cross real slowly with Mycah?"

"Either that or spend a few hours going around on our horses. But that would take time, and y'all don't seem to like that."

Koren n'Rhys
2013-03-28, 10:23 AM
"That's a pretty good thought, Bran. It does make sense that the leaders would have had a more private tent. Maybe it is over on the other side someplace. Do you think it could be invisible like the bridge was? I can't imagine it's too far from the rest of the camp. Though I doubt there's any danger now - the fight should have brought everyone running to help - or running away."

He wanders back to the foot of the bridge and stands looking across the ravine.
"I was focused on the bodies, not the terrain. Any trail should be obvious - beaten down grass if nothing else. I can look pretty quickly, or we can try to go around as a group, I suppose."

Nevaera
2013-03-28, 04:11 PM
ASH

"Though my armor looks as awkward as anyone's, it IS enchanted for ease of movement. I don't think I'll be as much at risk of falling as others in metal armour. Mycah, if you don't mind going across again, we could go together at the least risk of peril."

Ash will draw her spear for balance, though she has little doubt in her ability to maintain stable footing. She concludes to herself that it's better to set a cautious example for the others rather than to appear careless or overconfident. The Vigilant Companions is the name she acts under, after all.

If no one objects to this idea, Ash will draw out her rope and ask that Brandon and Nathros hold it while Ash and Mycah cross one at a time. They could just loop the rope around a wrist bracer and hang on tight in the case of falling.
Should they both cross successfully, Ash will have her sword and shield stowed and her bow and an arrow drawn while keeping an eye out for danger. She'll let Mycah look for/at any tracks that might be found. She'll stay by the bridge so she doesn't spoil any potential leads.

Matthew
2013-03-28, 07:13 PM
Nathros stands guard whilst his companions figure out how to cross the bridge. He leaves it to the retainers and mercenaries to take care of the booty and animals.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-03-28, 11:14 PM
Alanna stands next to Nathros while the sneaky people do sneaky things.
"So," she begins somewhat awkwardly. "That was some battle."

Matthew
2013-03-28, 11:22 PM
"The merchants, townsfolk and peasants hereabouts can thank their lucky stars for our efforts. We were fortunate to catch the wretches by surprise; our tactics were lacking, we underestimated their strength, and one of us paid the price. Still, we can at least take pride in our success, one less band of hobgoblins to terrorise the countryside now."

Roland St. Jude
2013-03-29, 12:09 AM
The bridge can be traversed once more, though it bows somewhat should both Mycah and Ash step on it at the same time. On the far side, the earth is disturbed somewhat and certain grasses are trampled. It looks to Mycah's eyes like the area east of Bost's lumber camp. Many sets of feet have come through here, from many directions toward a single point. At the camp that point was the main square, here it is the bridge.

Feel free to make any checks you think helpful to whatever action you want to take.

Matthew
2013-03-29, 01:16 AM
Nathros stands ready, ensuring that all is in order on this side of the bridge.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-03-29, 10:07 AM
Once the matter seems decided, Mycah recrosses with ease as Ash prepares her rope, waving her to wait until he has gotten over to the other side. The bridge had seemed rickety enough he's not willing to trust it to both their weights. Once across, he waits for Ash to safely make it before turning to the task at hand.
"I can't imaging anyone will come charging out of the woods at me, but thank you for risking the crossing to help, Ash." He begins to scan the ground for clues, but looking back over his shoulder, he winks and adds "Do be sure to yell if you see anything though. I've come to hate surprises!"

When it becomes clear that there are any number of tracks funneling in to the crossing point, he begins to widen his search pattern, looking for another focal point, an area with tracks around it, but itself left untouched , or a flattened are of uniform and unnatural shape where a tent might be set up.

Hunting (10): [roll0]
Nature Lore /Forest (10): [roll1]

Nevaera
2013-03-29, 10:40 AM
ASH

Ash takes her helmet off, puts it in her pack, and stands at the ready on the other side of the ravine along with Mycah. She keeps her eyes open for any sign of trouble - movement from within a tree, an identifying noise of an enemy, the crack or tick sound a trap makes just before it sets off - whatever the danger might be...

"I can't imaging anyone will come charging out of the woods at me, but thank you for risking the crossing to help, Ash."Ash nods, "Of course."
Better safe than sorry, she thinks.
She watches him with a bit in admiration as he scours the tracks, A handy skill to have in the wild...

"Do be sure to yell if you see anything though. I've come to hate surprises!""You an' me both." She returns his wink with a small smile and a small quark of her head.
Alertness DC13: [roll0]

Frivolous
2013-03-29, 12:37 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran approaches the bridge, seeking to cross, but even carrying his mother's Shield of Courage, he doesn't like his chances and steps back from the bridge.

Roland St. Jude
2013-03-30, 01:14 PM
Mycah searches around a bit, widening his path and even following some of the light trails, several minutes pass, then several more. He comes to the conclusion, one he's quite confident about, that these tracks were made by hobgoblin patrols. They seem like group paths, traveled in both directions, and traveling down one a short ways shows it turns at a sharp angle and heads parallel to the ravine, similar to the way the patrol moved on the other side of the ravine. These other trails probably go further away from the ravine before they cut across. Rather military-like in their patrols, it a seems.

None strike Mycah as particularly different or unusual. No other sign of encampment or the like appears on the south side of the ravine.

Nevaera
2013-03-30, 09:57 PM
ASH

Once Mycah's search has come to an end with no important information coming to light, Ash prepares to cross the bridge again as she did before.

After she and Mycah are both safely across, the group can begin to move back toward Threshold - this place is burdened with bloodshed and would make an awful place of rest.

Matthew
2013-03-31, 10:37 PM
"Any more thoughts on keeping a watch here for a few days? Somebody is bound to come looking to find out what happened to this lot, and I am mighty interested to find out who that would be."

MeanMrsMustard
2013-03-31, 11:16 PM
Alanna groans and puts her face in her hands.
"Argh, if we have to spend one more minute in this cursed place, I'm gonna… ugh, I don't know…"
She walks in a large circle, grumbling quietly until she stops and faces Nathros.
"Of course, I don't mean any disrespect towards you, or anyone else here. It's just… I want to get to the temple and put this awful mess behind me."
Darn it, she thinks. If we're not careful, one of us could easily say something rude we don't mean. I gotta watch my words more closely so I don't hurt anyone.

Nevaera
2013-03-31, 11:46 PM
ASH

"If you think it's best, Nathros, then you, the hired help, and any of us - that would prefer to - can stay with you. We'll have to split our group, but we should be fine. Originally we planned our large numbers for the sake of a battle we anticipated and sought out. Now that that is over and the distance to home is less than a day, the likeliness of a dire encounter is more slim."

She adds, "Just remember, it's entirely possible the necromancer or another spell caster be the one who returns to this camp - and likely with friends of their own."

"I for one believe the likeliness is rather slim of anyone coming by and would prefer to spend our efforts in more pointed pursuits like checking other locations that were noted on the map and following up on the names properly."

Ash calls for a vote of those who wish to stay and those who would rather return. The mercenaries and hirelings would be allowed a say should they have any reservations on the matter.

Ash intends to lead the party home tonight - those that come.

Matthew
2013-03-31, 11:52 PM
"The fewer the better, it seems to me. Probably good symmetry for Mycah and me to keep watch here for a day or two. Maybe we should call it three days with three men, one heading back to town at the end of the day to report on what has been seen and let you know if anything has gone wrong. Volunteers are welcome, of course."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-01, 12:39 AM
The hirelings seem rather confused. They will stay if asked or ordered, but otherwise, they intend to return to town with the two charismatic leaders (as they see it). The mercenary crossbowmen, however, will default to staying, seeking to extend their paid service.

Nevaera
2013-04-01, 11:32 AM
ASH

Ash frowns and shakes her head slightly, "I don't think this is a safe idea. I would count you more lucky if nothing were to happen while you were here.

"And honestly I don't think we have time. I suggest we leave a letter here for anyone concerned with the outcome of this camp.
"It would state that those responsible (us) could be reached through the Threshold Messenger Service. We could tell the messenger service to send the letter to us if one comes that is addressed to those that dealt with the hobgoblin camp.
"We remain anonymous and no one gets hurt.
"I would gladly make the arrangements to expedite the Companions' goals with our other leads."

Matthew
2013-04-01, 05:34 PM
"Time? What pressing business awaits us in Threshold? My concern is not to alert visitors to our deeds, but to uncover their identity without being discovered ourselves. As to the danger, it was surely more so before, when Mycah and I made trial of the wilderness knowing there were hobgoblins abroad. Not that I am keen to sleep nights out in the wild, but it seems a wasted opportunity, and in the wake of so much bloodshed."

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-01, 08:49 PM
"We have to balance our priorities, Nathros. Sure, we should find out as much as we can and do our best to completely defeat the villains of the world, but we also need to tell the people back in Threshold about what happened. Lord Bost has a right to speedy knowledge, and I don't want to increase the risk of losing or breaking the carts we're renting by staying here. Plus, who knows what kind of things might happen to Algie's soul if we don't perform the proper rites quickly? I don't think there's too much risk, but you can never underestimate the depths evil people will sink to. I don't want my friend to be damned because of one of my mistakes!"
Alanna starts out calm, but when she mentions Algernon, her tone rises and becomes almost panicked. It's clear she's passionate about the subject.

Matthew
2013-04-01, 09:03 PM
Nathros looks confused. "I am not suggesting that we all stay here, just two or three of twelve. Uncovering who might be in league with the hobgoblins seems to be of much greater moment than reporting news of their defeat and conveying the dead to Threshold, even were we not easily able to do all."

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-02, 12:01 AM
Alanna calms down.
"Ah, that seems more reasonable. I'm not totally comfortable with leaving people behind, but I trust you and Mycah on your own. Don't you agree, Ash?"

Frivolous
2013-04-02, 08:54 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran offers, "I'm willing to stay with Nathros and Mycah."

"I ask that Mycah hold onto the wand for a while, in case we need to freeze anyone for an hour."

From his expression, it is clear that Bran is still hoping to catch the hobgoblins' spellbook.

Nevaera
2013-04-02, 09:23 AM
ASH

"A stealth mission then? I hadn't realized you wished to hide in the trees or what have you.
"Alright then. Do what you will, but be careful about it. Should anything happen, I'd have to guess it'd be more dangerous than catching a patrol off guard. If someone sees the camp and they were allied with those formerly within, they would be guarded and alert with their approach and could possibly detect you..."
She sighs, "I still don't think this is a safe idea."
"Just - come back alive, will you?"
"We'll be arranging a memorial in town for the most recently fallen and planning our next venture for when you return."

Ash will assure the crossbowmen that they can be rehired for the next trip if they wish (so they don't have to stay here and risk more than they need to).

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-02, 09:34 AM
Mycah lets everyone offer their opinions on the situation. He's quiet, and is a bit frustrated that he was unable to find what they were looking for across the ravine, but he is confident he didn't miss anything, so it's just frustration in general, not at himself.

"I have to agree with Nathros. Someone is, was, in contact with this lot and will no doubt send a messenger of some sort to pass along orders before too long. Of we want to discover who was behind the Vipers, these hobs, and everything else, then we need to try to catch that messenger. Maybe that necromancer will show up, I don't know, but we should be able to guard against the possibility. A couple of nights in the wilderness won't do me any harm, for sure. If Nathros, and Bran, are up to that I have no objections."

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-02, 09:58 AM
Finally, Mycah seems to notice Bran's comment about the wand.
"What? I don't know how to use something like that! I'll admit it was effective, but I think I still trust my bow more. If you're staying with us, you can hold onto it."

Nevaera
2013-04-02, 04:39 PM
ASH

Ash exhales and nods, "As you wish.
"Oh - I wouldn't recommend sleeping in any of their bed rolls even if it becomes tempting. You'd likely pick up an itch." She winks.

Then she pauses and speaks more solemnly at the three over her shoulder, "We'll see you later." She nods as though that would set their survival in stone.
Edit: Ash rounds up everyone but for the three that plan to stay and leads them back to Threshold - unless there's something more to discuss.

Matthew
2013-04-02, 08:33 PM
Nathros sets about finding a good hidden vantage from which to watch the camp, and concealing any tracks that would give them away.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-02, 10:23 PM
Nathros, Mycah, and Brandon, with the help of the crossbowmen, can hide the evidence of their battle, except for the burned tent, which obviously cannot be reconstructed, and then repair to the hills to set camp. A spot can be picked out that allows a relatively clear view of the hobgoblin camp below.

It is slow going through the dark forested hills, but those returning the Threshold make it to the south gate without incident.

Another round of posts about the plans for the night and then I'll roll for encounters and such and move this thing along.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-03, 01:29 AM
Alanna's unusually quiet on the way back to Threshold. Even though it's very late when she gets to the temple, she considers telling the temple elders about the tragedy at the camp. She decides against doing so before the dawn. She heads to bed, intending to get as much rest as she can so that her mind will be clear enough to memorize spells when she wakes.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-03, 09:00 AM
Mycah and the others work quickly and soon settle into their watching post for the night.
"We have no idea how long we'll be waiting, so we'll want a rotating watch schedule. Four hour shifts, me, then Nathros, then Brandon?"

Nevaera
2013-04-03, 08:21 PM
ASH

Ash makes sure the mercenaries and hirelings are paid from the money in the bag of holding. She also assures Alanna that the arrangements for Algernon's memorial will be made in the morning and held in the evening.
She will get the hirelings to help her return the horses.

---

In the morning, she'll retrieve her thousand gold.

Then she'll speak to the appropriate residents at the temple that Alanna belongs to and arrange the memorial along with Alanna.
She'd like it held as the sun begins to set.

After the arrangements are made, she'll return to Lord Bost's and write a letter addressed to the return address on the letter that was sent introducing Algernon.
It describes the best moments Ash knew of Algernon, his bravery, his outgoing personality, and his passion in battle. She goes on to write, "Though we'd only known him a short while, he was a great asset to our adventuring group and he will be sorely missed." She also writes a sincere apology that none of his remains were retrievable to be sent back home.
She will seal it closed with her signet ring and instructs Johann (if he's there) to send it off for her if it's not too much trouble. She would solemnly explain the contents so that he is aware of the situation.

Then she'll have lunch at The Nut as it would be after noon.

After that she will practice sword stances and maneuvers out on the hill by the stream.

She'll ponder the information from the copies of the Fang's documents from the ship so that she can decide what she believes should be done next.

Matthew
2013-04-03, 08:45 PM
Nathros suggests twelve two hour watches, four each, and gets comfortable for the days ahead.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-04, 08:30 AM
"Two hours is fine with me. Doesn't really matter."

Frivolous
2013-04-04, 01:22 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran doesn't mind standing watch for as long as is needed.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-04, 10:22 PM
The evening under the stars passes uneventfully for the scouts.

Back in Threshold, preparations for the Gnomish Caravan's visit continue apace. The letter regarding Algie's fate can be dispatched to his master in Specularum. The Church will see to Algie's final rites. The elders do their best to comfort Alanna on the loss of her teammate.

Let's deal with whatever each group wants to do during the day.

Matthew
2013-04-05, 03:43 AM
Nathros gets sleep when he can, and keeps a vigilant watch for any sign of possible enemies. He suggests short range patrols to ensure that they are not caught unaware themselves.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-05, 08:18 AM
As comfortable up in the trees as he is on the ground, Mycah will scout about for a suitable observation point that gives him a good view of the hobgoblin campsite as well as across the ravine and the surrounding area. Preferably with a nice amount of cover while he's up there too.

I think our basic M.O. will be to stay quiet and alert, continue our rotating watches and hope it isn't too long before someone comes looking for our deceased friends.

Nevaera
2013-04-05, 12:58 PM
ASH

With looking over the letters and maps again, Ash comes to a decision that afternoon. A couple hours before supper, she'll head to the temple to check on the arrangements for Algernon's memorial.

While there, she'll ask if there's anyone who knows multiple languages or old religious text. If so, she'll show them the unusual letters on the document from the fangs' ship.

If they don't know anything, she'll try Merlinda's and offers 25g just for her to look at it (if need be).
If anyone has been bothered about the strange letters before, she'll apologize and not bother them further.

She'll also write a short letter to Marie to ask if Sharu Garul would be willing to look at the unusual writings since she believes it might be connected with the spider immortals.

Secretly she worries for her comrades out at the ex-hobgoblin camp, even wishing she was there should anything come to happen. Better I die among them than bury them alone.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-06, 12:21 AM
In preparation for Algernon's service, Alanna plans out what she wants to say.
"When Algie first joined our little band, I had my doubts about him. We all did, if I remember it right. Algie probably noticed this. Did he care? No. He was never rude or mean to us, and his loyalty will never be questioned. He used the magic he had to great effect, and I'm sure the hobgoblins only killed him because they were scared of what Algie could do to them. I'll miss his friendship, and I hope he's rewarded as richly as a king in the afterlife. May all the Immortals bless his soul and his journey into the great beyond."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-06, 01:26 AM
The memorial is handled simply and respectfully.

---
The temple elders do not recognize the strange writing, but Merlinda accepts the offered payment and gives it a scan. She retreats to within her tower with the note, leaving Ash to wait in her ground floor receiving room. She returns after several minutes. "It is an ancient arcane script used by Traladaran tribal magicians. It describes, by reference to the local geography, a place west of Threshold. A place of walking dead, false visions, and many-legged things. The evil could not be defeated, so the elders called upon the earth to swallow it. The evil has never returned."

"The note warns against disturbing the tomb of evil." She points at the final line of text. "Only the spirit of the earth protects us."

---
The day passes in Threshold with little over a week until the caravan arrives. Out in the wilderness, the day and second night also passes without any obvious activity at the abandoned camp. Mycah observes more animals in the woods than before.

Nevaera
2013-04-06, 02:00 PM
ASH

Ash thanks Merlinda respectfully for her help.
She also warns her that there may be some kind of conniving or violent incident during the presence of the Gnomish Caravan where her magic may be useful in protecting Threshold, should she have any investment in such a thing. Of course, Ash assures her that her companions are doing their best to prevent this occurrence.

Later, around supper, Ash will share the knowledge she's gained from Merlinda with Alanna - pondering whether or not to pursue this or to let the sleeping dogs lie.

Frivolous
2013-04-06, 09:18 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks a little grumpy after an exciting but fruitless several hours of watching.

"Wait or go home?"

Matthew
2013-04-07, 07:58 AM
"Three nights at least," Nathros reaffirms.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-07, 08:33 AM
Mycah grins at poor Bran's boredom - that farmboy has no idea the countless hours that Mycah has spent alone out here.
"If nothing else, we've returned this area to it's natural order. Already the animals are returning and getting on with their lives. Having that camp here scattered them to the four winds."

Nevaera
2013-04-07, 11:05 AM
ASH

When she gets a chance (probably the next morning), Ash will head over to visit the captain of the guards. Though he may perhaps recognize her as Ashala Bost, she'll present herself as one of the (Vigilant) Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers.

She'll ask the captain if he's aware of any precautions made to thwart potential incidents during the presence of the Gnomish Caravan. If he's well informed of the documents, she'll feel more free to express her concerns.

"The hobgoblins have been dispatched, though at the life-cost of the mage who recently joined.
"That means we've eliminated the threat of the Fangs, the thouls - at least the ones that existed before, and the displacer beast along with the hobgoblins.
"That leaves Ederick who got away, Lord Venom - who seems to be pulling all the strings - probably from Specularum or something, Bargle's Agent or the ' Wizards of ill repute ' who may just be the magic-wielding hobgoblins we had fought, and some business with the spider immortals of which I've some information regarding the strange language.
"It is an ancient arcane script used by Traladaran tribal mages. Apparently the spider on the map was referencing, oh how did it go? - a place of walking dead, false visions, and many-legged things. The elders called upon the earth to swallow the evil that couldn't be defeated before and it has never returned since then. There was a warning not to disturb the tomb because of its evil and only the earth spirit can protect us.
"I was thinking it might be best to leave that one alone, with so little time left before the caravan arrives too. If someone does still intend to disturb the tomb, at least we'll know a little about what's going on if our group has to do something to stop it. Unfortunately we're short on both mages and scholars now."

Ash remains to hear what he has to say in response.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-08, 01:16 PM
Late on the third day, the sound of hoofbeats can be heard echoing through the wooded hills. Off to the west, Mycah judges, and several sets of hooves. No sign of them yet, though, they must be behind a hill.

---
The captain of the town guards can be tracked down, with some effort, he seems to be rushing from post to post, observing the many new recruits. He will talk with Ash as they walk, sharing with her that he has seen the documents and, in general, the preparations have included more than doubling the size of the guard. "We have many more eyes out there and swords in the field, but we've had to break up existing units to supervise the greenhorns. The gates, the docks, the market square are watched by more and more obvious guards."

His brow furrows as Ash rattles off the various players and threats. He shakes his head. "My concern is what happens within these walls. The caravan will be here in week or so and stay for a couple, maybe a few, weeks more. Perhaps you could stay here for that time, trouble or not, before pursuing Ederick or this spider tomb? Though I'd not want the necromancer to unleash some ancient evil upon us all, but perhaps it's just a folk legend?

Whatever you decide, let me know so that I can account for your presence in our planning.

Oh, and so many people are arriving," he points to the masses at the docks, "some of them must be scholars, maybe even mages."

Matthew
2013-04-08, 09:44 PM
"Here we go," says Nathros. "Remember, we are only here to watch and gather information."

Nevaera
2013-04-09, 09:20 AM
ASH

"I agree. I'd rather not be caught in the wilderness at a time we are most needed in Threshold. Though I had no idea your resources have been stretched so thin. You can count me in.
"I'll let the rest decide for themselves, though I think them likely to wish to aid us. In our group besides myself, we have a healer, a scout, two warriors, and three hired men.
"We could also afford to hire some mercenaries for those days if you think it would help."
She'll hear his response.

Then she adds, " - and thank you for your advice. I'll have to pay a trip down to the docks."

---

Ash will head to the docks and see if there are any new recruits I can find for the Companions' more intellectual tasks scholar work and magery.
She'll have a sign made up and find a barrel, bench or chair somewhere to sit. Those interested in the work she could provide will be told to meet her for interviews tomorrow morning at The Nut. She'll give herself ten minutes between each interview as she tells them when to arrive.

---

The third day, Ash heads down to The Nut for breakfast, rents a room for the interviews, and explains to the owner or highest in charge of what she intends to do. She'll tip him a silver.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-09, 10:18 AM
Late on the third day, the sound of hoofbeats can be heard echoing through the wooded hills. Off to the west, Mycah judges, and several sets of hooves. No sign of them yet, though, they must be behind a hill.

Mycah perks up immediately at the approaching sound and whistles to alert his companions waiting on the forest floor below. He'd chosen his perch for it's cover and range of view, so he felt comfortable enough that he'd remain unseen. Nonetheless, he wraps his neutral-colored cloak more closely around himself to conceal the shape of his body and tucks himself closer to the trunk of the tree.

He hears Nathros' reminder, but makes no further sound of acknowledgement.

Frivolous
2013-04-09, 10:36 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran wakes up, looks up at Mycah, then gets up and starts to put on is armor.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-10, 12:53 AM
Mycah spies several mounted men over a hundred yards away, rounding a hill in the distance. As they come fully around to the near side of that hill, it becomes apparent that these are not men on horses but centaurs, maybe ten of them. They haven't spotted him yet, but they seem to be headed his way. In perhaps another minute or so, they will pass beneath Mycah's perch and near his companions below.

---
Ash receives three applicants. A short, stout male named Dargus, who she might have mistaken for a dwarf at first, though the similarity was fleeting. A beardless human, he is dressed in a simple traveler's robe. He is a recent arrival from the northern fishing village come for the Gnomish Caravan. The tales of the party's brave deeds in defense of the city intrigued him and he'd like to join. His skills are minor, he admits, being family charms he has learned. He can conjure light and read magic, which might be useful, he opines. His grandmother also taught him an ward against evil, though he admits he has never tried it and believes it may only extend to him personally.

The second, a young Thytian man named Mellius, has also recently arrived in Threshold, here to seek his fortune. He seems charming and reminds Ash more than a little of Alastor. He boasts that he can cast Magic Missile and as well as conjure a floating disk to ease the parties burdens. He offers that he is also well-versed in various magical theory and beings.

The third, Neela, has arrived from Darokin ahead of the caravan. She came to trade with the caravan, so she is quite interested in making the city safe for the caravan and, after, she would like to pursue gainful employment in the area. She says she is a wizard trained in her homeland, but she demurs discussing her actual abilities.

Each demands a full share of any payment or treasure.

Nevaera
2013-04-10, 11:29 AM
ASH

To Dargus, "For now, it sounds like your abilities could use some elaboration before we would bring you about with us, but if we come across magical writings, I'm sure we could pay you for your service of reading them to us. If you could manage to extend your protection spell to the lot of us, I'm sure we could make constant use of you and you'd be rewarded an equal sum of loot."
---
To Mellius, "Magic Missile is a useful and effective means of attack should a moment call for a swift finish in a dire moment. We've use of some horses now, but I can imagine occasions where a magic disk's leverage might be useful. - I'll bet your knowledge could come in handy at some point." She seems to be thinking out loud a little.
---
She folds her hands on a table in front of her and looks Neela in the eyes to say, "I am looking for specific spells which I've seen be most effective in the past. I may consider you for hire if you'll share with me what you can do. I've met several wizards now and I know the spells learned will vary from one to the next." She seems openminded yet determined to hear of Neela's abilities if she is going to consider hiring her.

Once I see what Neela and Dargus have to say in response, I'll decide who to hire. I'm leaning toward Mellius for now.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-11, 01:16 AM
Dargus frowns, "I would not want to overstate my power and fail you in a big moment. Granny's charm is probably limited to me. But I am decent with a dagger and cunning. I know how to stay out of danger and pick my moments. I'll learn more soon, I'm sure."

---
Mellius nods in agreement with Ash's line of thought. "My missiles are unerring, and I have some skill with throwing daggers, as well. I know to keep out of harm's way, and a great memory for magic."

---
Neela responds that she has had ample training in the arcane basics, reading magic, firing arrows of pure magic, sending attackers into a slumber. "I have also learned several spells useful to my line of work as part of a trade caravan from Darokin to here. I can use magic to allow me to read any language, detect evil, and sometimes discern the properties of magical items. Of course, I cannot do these all at once, but they are familiar to me and noted in my journal. I am hearty, well-traveled, and accustomed to danger."

Matthew
2013-04-11, 02:21 AM
Nathros gives Bran a baffled look, "I do not think centaurs would be in league with hobgoblins. Mayhaps it would be better if we revealed ourselves than be discovered lurking in the woods."

Frivolous
2013-04-11, 08:12 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I'll reveal myself. You two stay hidden and do whatever you think is best if they decide to be nasty."

With his shield up but his sword sheathed, Bran starts to walk in a calm and leisurely fashion towards the centaurs.

Nevaera
2013-04-11, 09:37 AM
ASH

Ash is grateful for each of those interviewed. She shakes their hand and informs them each that they'll be contacted within the next couple days if they are to be welcomed into The Vigilant Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers.

As it is the third day, Ash considers riding out to meet her friends in the afternoon.

If she has to choose just one, she'll likely pick Neela for her abilities. She'd prefer to run it by the group first after they come back from their spy-ish mission.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-11, 10:06 AM
Mycah had no particular fear of the centaurs, but he hadn't intended to reveal himself just yet. Indeed, he fully expected the creatures to notice him or the others if they passed close enough. But all that was moot now, as he sees Bran step out to meet the approaching herd.

He instead chooses to maintain his perch, stepping back from the tree trunk into full view. He still holds his bow, an arrow loosely nocked, but it is not drawn, nor pointed at the centaurs. he merely waits to see how they react to Bran.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-11, 09:07 PM
The centaurs approach in an interesting weaving pattern, crossing each others paths they seem to be ambling. "Greetings lone knight!" says the apparent leader, "I am Cyllarus the Elder. What brings you to our woods?"

His fellows, holding crossbows or lances, stand spread out behind him.

---
The applicants depart, each hopeful to join the group.

Frivolous
2013-04-12, 09:52 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran solemnly holds up his free, weaponless hand palm outward.

"Hey. Good day to you, Cyrallus the Elder and your kin."

"I'm Brandon Bor, a human of Threshold, son of Boris and Natalya. These are your woods. They are very nice woods."

"I am just visiting, hunting hobgoblins and their allies. Is that all right with you?"

Nevaera
2013-04-12, 11:12 AM
ASH

Ash invites Alanna and the hirelings to ride out to meet the rest of the group in the afternoon. Her reasoning is that she cannot do much regarding the plot against Threshold at this time and perhaps the group cannot return without healing - or heavens forbid they be dead and need to be buried.

She'll pay the horse-master for the rental of the horses again and another day's rental of the two horses kept with Nathros and Mycah. She'll also assure him they'll be returned by tomorrow if all has gone well. If not, the thousand gold is still in holding.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-12, 10:58 PM
As they ride out back to the battlesite, Alanna tells Ash she's prepared a new spell this morning.
"I figure that since they can paralyze us, it would be a good idea to be able to strike back. This spell can be used on up to four people at once, but if I choose just one target, it's more powerful."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-13, 12:10 AM
Ash and the others find some delay at the South Gate as the dense stream of travelers seek admittance to the city. Once outside the town walls, the traveling becomes easier and the ground is covered much more quickly. By Ash's guess, they are halfway to the hobgoblin camp when the party rounds a hillside to find themselves face to face with a pair of enormous humanoids - giants.

---
"Hunting those dumb brutes is excellent sport, but if it's all the same, we'd rather you leave now. You might find the city to the north hospitable." The centaur's tone is still friendly but also somewhat stern.

Ash's group is essentially in melee range already. Roll for initiative, even if you elect to parley.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-13, 10:33 AM
Alanna is in the middle of chatting with Ash when the group rounds the hillside to see the giants.
"Eep… Ash, you think we can talk to them before we decide if we can take them? My new spell doesn't work on giants. They're too big."
Her voice is considerably higher than normal.
[roll0]
It's 1d20, right? Does my WIS modifier apply?

Nevaera
2013-04-13, 05:44 PM
ASH

Ash pulls back on the reigns so suddenly that her horse may have reared, but she is a skilled rider. With a turn of her gauntlet up in the air, she directs the rest of party to ride the other way and try to avoid and outrun the giants. "We have no quarrel with them and I'd rather not stick around to make one."

If any of her group get entangled with the giants in combat, she'll be forced to turn around and make an effort to distract the giants by physically intervening. If her group makes it away and the giants cannot (or do not) pursue, she'll keep riding out to the hobgoblin camp with her team rather than make quarrel with the giants.

I don't know what to roll for initiative either. Here's a d20 roll without modifier.
[roll0]

Frivolous
2013-04-13, 08:43 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran purports to look a little surprised and confused.

"Dumb brutes? I've fought a few, and they used magic. Powerful magic."

"In fact, dozens of hobgoblins were here in a big camp near here up until a few days ago. None of them mentioned you or your folk, so I'm a bit surprised to find you here, actually."

Bran concentrates and he tries to discern if the centaur shows signs of hiding something, or of deception. Their claim of territory certainly doesn't seem congruent with the size of the hobgoblin camp.

Level 4 Fighter
Hit Points: 16/16
AC: -1

Ability check: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-14, 10:06 PM
The centaur leader mirrors Brandon's confusion.

"You held parley with powerful magic hobgoblins? And they have - had - a large camp nearby?

It sounds as if they are gone, so perhaps you should be gone, too, strange human."

The centaurs tense visibly behind their leader, weapons in hand unraised, but held a little more tightly. He seems to Brandon wholly genuine and honest in his claim of territory, belief about hobgoblins, and instruction to leave.

---
Ash leads the others away from the pair of giants, their horses easily outpacing the lumbering giants, who seem to be following, but slowly. Soon, they disappear behind the hills behind the group.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-15, 08:18 AM
Mycah, up above in his tree-perch, shifts his weight and makes some noise to alert the centaurs to his presence.
"With respect, Elder, he believe the threat to the forest has not yet ended. We successfully attacked and slew a large camp full of the creatures, including their spellcaster, yes. But we believe they were here under orders from some other enemy, who we expect to at least send messengers to this camp. By your leave, we'd say a bit longer in hopes of capturing them and putting an end to the threat."

Nevaera
2013-04-15, 07:35 PM
ASH

Ash continues to lead her group back to the hobgoblin's old camp with intentions to wait a little for Mycah, Nathros, and Brandon to respond to their arrival.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-15, 10:48 PM
Alanna makes small talk.
"How do you think the boys are doing? Personally, I feel that they can handle themselves. I guess the one to be most concerned about might be Mycah, but there's probably no real danger to any of them out there. I'm sure we'll regroup and there won't be anything unusual going on."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-16, 12:21 AM
As Mycah speaks, three of the centaurs swing their crossbows up to aim at him. Only the leaders quickly raised hand signals them to hold their fire.

"Hiding in trees, chatting with hobgoblins? You are a troubling pair." He whistles loudly. "Our reinforcements are coming now. See to your own border at the walls of Threshold and we shall see to our forest. Go."

His demeanor, which Brandon feels he's reading quite clearly, is deadly serious. Cyllarus' began this conversation jovial and calm, but he has become somewhat agitated and anxious. He certainly seems willing to initiate hostility.

---
Ash, Alanna, and the others continue their ride without sign of trouble ahead or behind.

Matthew
2013-04-16, 07:27 AM
Nathros remains hidden, ready to aid his companions if things go awry.

Frivolous
2013-04-16, 11:27 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran doesn't seem afraid of the centaurs. He ponders a heartbeat as he weighs Cyllarus' truthfulness, then nods.

"Okay, I think I believe them."

"Give us a little time to gather our things and we'll depart. Agreed?"

He waits to see if the centaurs lower their crossbows. While Bran has no qualms now about returning to Threshold, he also has no qualms about drawing his sword and retaliating if the centaurs resort to violence.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-16, 03:53 PM
Mycah has no desire to quarrel with the centaurs on their own turf, though he is troubled that they are so defensive now, yet never discovered the hobgoblins while they were camped here. He stows his bow, moving with care, and descends from his perch, returning to Brandon.
"We've been here for our three days and seen nothing, Bran. Time to head back to town anyway and see what Ash and Alanna were able to accomplish."

He turns to the centaur. "Our apologies, Elder. We mean no trouble for your people and would not challenge your guardianship of these woods. We'll break camp and be on our way as quickly as possible."

Nevaera
2013-04-16, 10:14 PM
ASH

Ash responds to Alanna's chatter, "I have no idea how they may fair.
"I imagine the best case scenario would be one without incident of any kind. Worst case would be that something unexpected happened and they were outnumbered in a fight. Without a healer or the good fortune of having a plan, they'd have little chance against the strange and dangerous beings of these woods.
"Mycah and Nathros have successfully navigated these parts before as a team. It's more Brandon that worries me. He's a little unpredictable at times."

She softly speaks with a low voice, "I do hope they're alright."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-16, 11:18 PM
Cyllarus smiles graciously, "Very well. Safe travels, Master Bor. Should trouble be found in these woods, we will remove it. No trouble will come to Threshold from this quarter. Please tell your Baron that the centaurs have returned to the Eastern Woods." He waves to his men to lower their crossbows. He waves again to the reinforcements now crowning the hill behind him to spread out, which they do, ranging both north and south, but not overtaking Brandon and Mycah's position.

Frivolous
2013-04-17, 12:05 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran gathers up his gear and his horse. He very carefully avoids riding the horse, because he suspects that centaurs might find that offensive.

Before he departs, he says, "Fare well, Cyrallus the Elder and company. If you ever have trouble that you wish to avoid dealing with yourselves, send word to Threshold. The men and women of Bost's Rangers, I mean, the Vigilant Companions, will be glad to see to your needs, if the need is great or the cause is righteous."

Bran feels pleased with himself, that he remembered to advertise both the party's name(s) and develop opportunities for future adventuring.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-17, 11:56 PM
More centaurs can be seen as Brandon and the others depart, heading northward.

After a short while, they meet Ash and the others.

Reunited and it feels so good.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-18, 12:54 AM
Alanna is enthusiastic when the two groups first come in sight of each other.
"Hey guys! Brandon, Mycah, Nathros! Glad to see you're safe!"
Yes. Yes it does.

Matthew
2013-04-18, 05:59 AM
"Hail. Seems the woods are filled with centaurs now," Nathros says with a wry grin.

Nevaera
2013-04-18, 08:37 AM
ASH

Ash puts her joy from seeing them safe aside to reply, "Hostile Giants too - along the way back. We'll have to avoid the area."
Then Ash quickly puzzles to herself about what Nathros' statement could mean, "Have you spied on them or spoken with them?"

Thank goodness. I count three returned - and their horses.
Ash lets out her small sigh of relief in the moment between her question and their response.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-18, 10:36 AM
Mycah smiles when he spots Ash approaching through the trees. As much as he missed the solitude and peace of the woods, he realizes that he missed seeing her face every day. More than he expected, if he is honest with himself. He also feels an unexpected pang of jealousy when she greets Brandon first. Stop that, he thinks to himself. Now you're being ridiculous.

"Good to see you too, Ash!" he responds. "We didn't expect you to have any trouble getting back to town, but you never know. Giants? I'm surprised we didn't find any sign of them while we were out in the woods."

"The centaurs, Ash. You should have seen them! Such... magnificent creatures. People. They weren't very happy to see us in their forest, though. Told us to pack up and get out, and that they'd deal with any trouble out here. Said we should worry about the town and mind our own business, really." He shrugs.

Just an FYI guys, I'm heading our of town this afternoon and will be gone through tomorrow. I'll catch up once I get back.

Frivolous
2013-04-18, 11:43 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran waves languidly as he greets the others.

"I dunno about centaurs being magnificent. All I know is they're very territorial. But they weren't lying, so maybe they really did just overlook the camp full of hobgoblins."

"Other than the centaurs, we didn't meet nobody. Especially no hobgoblins."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-18, 10:49 PM
Together again between hilltops, the party finds a moment of quiet to decide what to do next.

Nevaera
2013-04-19, 09:33 AM
ASH

Ash wonders to herself why this is the first she's heard of the Territorial Centaurs. Why hadn't her uncle mentioned them, or perhaps someone around town when they were asking questions about the Black Arrows?
Perhaps they've been in hiding before now...

As Mycah beams about his encounter with the centaurs, Ash smiles, "It must have been quite a sight."

Then she reflects on Mycah mentioning her name specifically. I wonder if he did that on purpose...

---

When they get a moment - after making some distance between the centaurs and the Companions, Ash fills her group in on her activities while they were out in the woods.

She says she's had Merlinda translate the strange writings from one of the documents from the Fangs' ship and she tells them what it said.
Then she tells them that she spoke the captain of the guards and found they're very short staffed for the arrival of the Gnomish Caravan and could use our help.

Then she tells them of the three casters she's interviewed - representing them all in the best light. She explains that she is most interested in hiring Neela based on her abilities - if she had to choose just one. She plans to contact them tomorrow morning once the decision has been made.
She also explains that she'll take responsibility for the one she hires, just as Brandon has done so well for the Hirelings.

Ash intends to ride back to town with her group as soon as possible, just after a short conversation with them all before setting back.

Frivolous
2013-04-21, 12:58 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran muses, "I guess we can act as guards during the Caravan's visit in Threshold."

"Did we ever find out what the Gnomish Caravan does or sells or trades? I wonder if they trade magic."

Bran looks very interested in the description of the translated document, and also about the magic-users who have offered their services.

Assuming that Ash described their powers, Bran asks, "So what can this Neela do? Did she say?"

Matthew
2013-04-21, 05:50 AM
Nathros voices his desire to head back to Threshold to make plans, "The comforts of the Nut are well missed."

Nevaera
2013-04-21, 03:48 PM
ASH

"Neela said she has a lot of training in the arcane basics. She can read magic, fire magical arrows like Artanis, and cast the sleeping spell like Alastor. She can also cast a detect evil spell and sometimes identify the properties of magical items. She said she's also well-traveled, and accustomed to danger. She is here for the Caravan, however, so she'll not likely be in our service until after it is over. I imagine it is the same with the lot of them."

After this short chat, the group can ride back to Threshold to return the horses and share tales at the Nut or what have you.

Frivolous
2013-04-21, 07:56 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran sounds agreeable to Neela joining the party. He nods and smiles.

"Sounds excellent."

He begins (or resumes) his calculations for paying the hirelings and mercenaries for their bravery in killing the two very dangerous hobgoblin magic-users.

Frivolous
2013-04-21, 08:21 PM
Mycah can report back to Bran that two crossbow bolts and two arrows, in addition to his own, struck solid final blows on the dead hobgoblin leaders. Any of the five shots could have been a killshot of his own, and two were as good as his own, likely hitting a vital organ.

Brandon Bor

After doing some complicated multiplication and division that involve talking to himself as he counts up, Bran approaches the 3 hirelings (Bret, Jemaine and Murray) and the 4 mercenaries.

"Men, I am very proud and happy that you chose to join us that day when Algernon was killed. I said it then and I'll say it again, your courage allowed us to win, when the hobgoblins' dastardly magic had half the party paralyzed."

"Both their magic-wielding leaders are dead from your missiles. Mycah found 4 of them, in addition to his own, in their bodies."

"I did some figuring, and I got that I owe y'all a total 320 gold. No one can figure out -who- loosed the killing shafts, so to be fair I'd like to divide it by 7, which gets each man about 45 gold and some silver."

"Does that sound fine with you?"

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-21, 09:59 PM
The return trip to Threshold is uneventful, and the queue to get into town is much smaller now than it was mid-afternoon. The common room at the Nut is quite packed with many obvious visitors to the town.

---
The hirelings seem content with the reward Brandon offers. The three henchmen return to the Bor farm once in Threshold.

Matthew
2013-04-22, 02:50 AM
Nathros settles in at the Nut, taking the time to thoroughly cleanse off the grime and blood of adventure, relaxing in comfort and supping some dark ales. "Mayhaps it is time to find out more about this spider tomb," he remarks to Mycah when next the opportunity arises.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-04-22, 10:20 AM
Mycah returns to his room at the Nut and, like Nathros, takes some time to clean up, then returns to common room for a drink.
"It is the biggest loos end, isn't it," he responds to the "spider Lair" comment. "I think we need to at least see if we can find something, and look for signs of disturbance, but Merlinda said those notes say not to disturb anything there. Maybe Alanna can ask at the church and see if they know more about the old legends. Oh, wait. She already did that didn't she? They warned us clear of the spider people, I think..."

Nevaera
2013-04-22, 04:57 PM
ASH

"Yes, it's been looked into. Perhaps Neela - or one of the others I interviewed - would know a little more. I'll contact her for hire in the morning in any case.
"For now, I think we should stick around town and help out the local guards if possible. Might not be much or any pay in it, but our faces will become more well known and that's good if we want to receive more work.
"If there is still a plot to occur during the festivities, perhaps we'll pick up on some clues that will help us prevent it."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-29, 08:48 PM
The arrival date of the Gnomish Caravan has been confirmed. Riders arrived yesterday to advertise their arrival in exactly one week.

Nevaera
2013-04-30, 11:50 AM
ASH

Ash informs Brandon that the cart of dead gobs/heads are still at his family's farm for him to do with as he will.

The next day, Ash will retrieve her money from holding and put it back in the safe at Bost's manor.

She will also inform Neela over breakfast at the Nut that she has been chosen to join. She'll tell her that she'd like her to generally try to help where she can and offer insight when it's helpful. She'd like Neela to be aware that she'll be expected to prepare her spells to best aid the party whenever possible. In turn, she'll be rewarded an equal sum of the loot acquired during each adventure she is to take part in. When possible, the aid of a little ranged weaponry is appreciated.
She also offers that if ever there are more than one option to pursue in battle (like perhaps there are more than one set of orders tossed her way) that she should first remember to be cautious and protect herself if she feels directly threatened, then to do what she thinks is most reasonable to aid the group as a whole - mainly in surviving and secondarily thwarting the villains.
She ends this with a hand shake and a, "Welcome to the team."
Then she'll ask that Neela prepare a magical detection spell and an identify magics spell the next she has an opportunity. Her group has recently come back from a mainly successful raid on a hobgoblin camp and she'd like to sell the spoils as soon as possible to keep everyone's pockets sated.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-04-30, 10:25 PM
Alanna wakes up, feeling better-rested than she has in a while. At first she's nervous she overslept, but she quickly discovers that she awoke at her usual time. She thanks the Immortals for this blessing while she meditates and prays for spells.
She feels a little extra space in her brain for spells, and discovers that, even though she didn't cast her Hold Person spell yesterday, she can prepare another spell of the second order.
Alanna also notes that she feels a little stronger and tougher, and considers the words of the temple elders. They did say I was learning quickly…
---
When Ash introduces the new mage, Alanna shakes her hand.
"Nice to meet you, Neela! And I'm glad there's one more girl on the team besides me and Ash."

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-30, 10:51 PM
Neela seems pleased to join the group. She will gladly examine the party's spoils. Among the jewelry and items possessed by the leaders, she notes that the gem and jewelry is all non-magical. The potion allows one to command stone giants, for a time. The wand is a paralyzation wand. The sword is enchanted and of a type known as "trollbane."

If the party carried back any of the hobgoblins arms or armor, they will find its handmade and generally poor quality to prevent it from having any resale value.

OOC:
The sword is +2, +3 vs. regenerating creatures.
The wand has 5 charges remaining.

Matthew
2013-05-01, 05:48 AM
Nathros enjoys a restive time at the Nut. He does not recall the details surrounding the spider shrine, and he tells Mycah as much. "There is an adventure around every corner, we just have to find a corner to walk around."

Frivolous
2013-05-01, 10:13 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran greets Neela with a friendly smile and his best manner. "Hi. Welcome."

He arranges for the heads to be brought to Lord Bost's for identification, if possible, and he sends a message to Lord Bost and to Merlinda stating that the party has slain a band of hobgoblin mercenaries led by 2 powerful magic-user.

He adds that one of the hobgoblins was able to cast a big ball of searing flame, and he asks if Lord Bost, Merlinda, or Lord Bost's aides might identify the hobgoblins by appearance or reputation, and if a reward of any sort has been posted for killing them.

Nevaera
2013-05-01, 11:43 AM
ASH

Ash will respectfully inform the other two auditions that they have not been chosen, but she'll consider them in the future should an opportunity arise for them to aid the party for pay.

When she returns, she'll ask Mycah if he'd like to come with her to sell the two axes (from before) and to sell the jewelry, if no one in the group wishes to claim any of it as part of their reward.

Hopefully they can find a jeweler who will pay a reasonable price for these things.

A blacksmith will likely be where they take the hand axe and battle axe to sell.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-01, 12:12 PM
Mycah enjoys the comfort of his bed, wondering if he's gone a bit soft already. Soon enough though, he rises and gets cleaned up for the day, finally meeting up with the rest of his companions and being introduced to Neela.
"Welcome to our little group, Neela. Things tend to get exciting pretty quickly, so I hope you feel up to it! it sounds like you have a lot to offer, so I look forward to having you around." In truth, he's happy to hear how quickly she was able to test and identify the hobgoblin spoils - handy indeed!
"That sword sounds powerful! I can't imagine what it's worth," he comments when told of the thing's power. "Who should use it? Brandon or Ash?"

When Ash asks him to join her on the trip to sell the jewelry, he quickly accepts. "Of course! I'd rather spend the afternoon wandering around town with you than sitting here. Sounds like fun!"

--------------------------
At a quiet moment in the conversation, Mycah tugs Brandon's sleeve.
"When you see your mother, please tell her I haven't forgotten that she asked me to come see her, it's just that we got involved with the hobgoblins. Tell her, I can come tomorrow morning, if that's OK with her."
Actually, I did almost forget about that dangling plot thread. Just thought of it...

Nevaera
2013-05-01, 09:07 PM
ASH

"Well, I don't know about how fun it might be, but we'll be getting work done." She offers a short smile and a small dip of her head as she rises to exit with Mycah while hiding the slight blush on her cheeks.

If you keep saying things like that, I'm going to start wondering things about you... She takes a steadying breath.

As they step out into the sunlight, she'll continue, "Did you enjoy your spy-scouting with the boys?
"It's too bad we found ourselves in the company of giants rather than the centaur peoples. That would have been quite something."

---

After selling the items in question, Ash mentions, "We should check in with the captain of the guards soon and offer our assistance. I'm sure they'd appreciate it and I wouldn't mind following orders for a change. It's far easier to follow than to lead, let me tell you."

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-02, 01:50 AM
A message to Lord Bost will take some time and Merlinda proves once again to be away from her tower. Neither Bost's staff nor the guard have heard about any hobgoblin raids or movements and know of no reward for their slaying. If mention or sight of the remains occurs, the general sentiment of "keep those things out of town" seems to prevail, though no one comes right out and says it. Any who hear the full tale of the battle are quite impressed, though.

---
Neela has traded her travel and interview clothes for something a bit finer when she meets the party. More practical than the kinds of finery Tal used to wear on adventures, though.

An errant curl of hair frames one side of her face. Her caramel complexion, slightly angular features, and bright green eyes give her an exotic look for Karameikos. She greets each member of the party that greets her, and otherwise waits around to be told whether the party has any group activities planned. As they begin to break up, she inquires of Ash whether she is needed at this time.

---
Mycah heads off to accompany Ash without responding to Nathros' comment about the spider shrine.

Ash and Mycah find the axes to be relatively unremarkable, but the blacksmith is willing to pay 5 gp for the pair.

The local jeweler, Pottage, an elderly man whose shop is nearly as old as Threshold itself, offers 400 gp for the topaz and 2000 gp for the bracelet. He takes a long time examining the pair of rings, giving Ash and Mycah plenty of time to examine the wide variety of jewelry for sale in the shop. "These are a matched pair, wedding rings. Thytian styling, middle of the last century. Beautiful pieces, perfect stones." He sighs. "If you're in need of cash, I can offer you five-thousand, but I will be honest with you young Rangers, they are worth far more than that.

Nevaera
2013-05-02, 11:08 AM
ASH

Ash apologizes to Neela for not considering any further work for her at this time. She explains that the group is experiencing a bit of a lull for work at this time while things are being set for the caravan. Her group intends to offer services as guards for the duration to protect against the implied threat they've been defending against this past month. Once it's over, though, they may have some dangerous travel and investigative work to be done. For now, she offers a hundred gold of her own money as an investment in Neela's abilities.
"Just don't go getting yourself into trouble before we get a chance to have a proper adventure." She winks with a playful smile.
"I actually assumed you had a traveling business of your own to keep you occupied while the festivities were in place - so I hadn't counted on such ready dedication, I must confess. Though, I'm pleased to see it."

---

Ash is a bit surprised at the value of the rings. She offers, "We're not so short supplied that we'd put you out of all your trade money for these. For now we'll hold onto them. Perhaps they'll allow us the opportunity to trade for an enchanted item.
"I appreciate your honesty - a quality I've seen a lot of among the good folk of Threshold.
"We'd of course still be glad to sell you the bracelet and the topaz. I hope you receive good value for them when you've readied them for resale.
"If you're interested in a small arrangement and if you happened to encounter a potential buyer for these rings, I think we could offer you five percent the total just for sending the buyer our way. I could write up a contract if you'd prefer, but I would honor the agreement in any case."

She turns to Mycah, "That seems fair, don't you think?"

---

Later, she intends to keep them somewhere she considers safe. She'll tell Mycah of the whereabouts for now too, in case anything should happen to her.
If Bost's Manor is extremely secure, she'll keep them locked up there.
She also contemplates burying them and hiring someone to start a folk legend of the rings that will bless young lover's marriage if they can use the treasure map and find the rings to wed with.
She then ponders the tragedy that must have taken place so that her group might gain ownership of the rings. Maybe I should have gutted those cursed hobgoblins - kept a few alive for torture... She shakes her head, disappointed in the course her thoughts have taken. I hope they're next owners find better luck than the last.

Frivolous
2013-05-02, 11:19 AM
"Who should use it? Brandon or Ash?"

--------------------------

At a quiet moment in the conversation, Mycah tugs Brandon's sleeve.
"When you see your mother, please tell her I haven't forgotten that she asked me to come see her, it's just that we got involved with the hobgoblins. Tell her, I can come tomorrow morning, if that's OK with her."
Actually, I did almost forget about that dangling plot thread. Just thought of it...

Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I don't mind if Ash wants the sword."

"I didn't know Ma wanted to see you. I'll tell her."

The local jeweler, Pottage, an elderly man whose shop is nearly as old as Threshold itself, offers 400 gp for the topaz and 2000 gp for the bracelet. He takes a long time examining the pair of rings, giving Ash and Mycah plenty of time to examine the wide variety of jewelry for sale in the shop. "These are a matched pair, wedding rings. Thytian styling, middle of the last century. Beautiful pieces, perfect stones." He sighs. "If you're in need of cash, I can offer you five-thousand, but I will be honest with you young Rangers, they are worth far more than that.

Bran accompanies Mycah and Ash on the treasure-selling trip.

"We should sell the rings only in a big city. There must be really rich nobility out there who would want to purchase antique wedding rings."

"You know... We should try to investigate the provenance of the rings."

"Rings like that are made by special craftsmen. There must be records of who previously owned them. Maybe their owners were even famous."

Then Bran's face falls as he realizes that, for both rings to be found in the hands of evil hobgoblins, the couple must have been killed together.

He tries to regain his enthusiasm.

"If the style dates back only to the middle of the last century, it should be possible to find out their previous owners."

He addresses the shopkeeper. "Sir, would you be able to help us find who might have made or owned these rings? Or refer us to someone?"

Bran examines the rings to see if there are any insignia or runes on the rings that might hint at their origins.

Nevaera
2013-05-02, 05:46 PM
ASH

Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I don't mind if Ash wants the sword.""
"Are you sure? I thought you'd want it.
"Well, I have been practicing with the long sword quite a bit.
"I appreciate the generosity. I'll use it well."

---

Ash agrees that they should hold onto it until the big city, but if a buyer who can afford the rings comes by sooner then why wait?

To the Jeweler, "How much would you say these might be worth, anyways?"

Matthew
2013-05-02, 10:01 PM
Nathros spends the day checking his equipment, and once finished his thoughts turn to counting the treasure.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-03, 12:48 AM
Neela refuses any attempted payment. "I'll earn my share soon enough. For now, if you should need my aid, let me know. I will check back with you after my trade with the Caravan is completed."

---
Mr. Pottage agrees to forward any potential purchasers Ash's way for a percentage.

He smiles warmly at Brandon's inquiry. "That is a charming thought, yes. To restore these rings to their previous owners' heirs. I'm afraid they bear no obvious name, crest, or device, though. Their value limits the field some, but the possible owners here in town are too few and outside there are too many.

He considers Ash's question of value carefully. "Their value is much more than the materials. They are art, and with art, eh," he waves a hand errantly to express uncertainty, "a jeweler in, say, the capital, should give you fifteen for the pair straightaway, but you could probably get more like thirty if you wait on the proper buyer - someone who appreciates the history and art of the things. Or a romantic noble couple, perhaps." He hands the rings back to Ash with a sly smile and shuffles away for a moment to fetch the coin to pay for the gem and bracelet.

Nevaera
2013-05-03, 10:19 AM
ASH

Ash seems to quite like Neela, pleased with her interest in earning her pay. She politely bids her adieu and offers that she looks forward to working with Neela.

---

After the jeweler hands her the rings and makes his remark, Ash presses her lips together, smiles a little awkwardly, and - without being conscious of it - glances at Mycah to see if he heard that.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-03, 01:46 PM
Mycah seems in fine spirits indeed, as he wanders the city with Ash at his side. He doesn't say anything, of course, but is a bit disappointed when Brandon decides to tag along. At her comment about the centaurs, it's as if she's opened the floodgates. Bran and Nathros hadn't seemed impressed by the glorious creatures, but to him they had been awe-inspiring. He chatters on about them - their size and strength, noble bearing, and more. For whatever reason, he accepts without question that the forest is theirs as they claim.
"Oh Ash, I wish you would have been there to see them with me. I know you'd understand." Poor manners or not, he unfortunately asks not one question about her encounter with the giants and the risk she and Alanna faced.

At the jeweler's, he lets Ash handle the negotiations, fully trusting her judgement and skill at these things. When she does ask his opinion on the commission for the rings he nods absently, as he takes in case after case of more wealth than he can remember even imagining, let along seeing on display. Finally, he returns to her side as she wraps up her business, standing close by her side and between her and Brandon. As she holds the pair of rings in her palm, he reaches out hesitantly and takes one, turning it in his fingers.
"Thirty THOUSAND gold? How can that even be? Who could afford them, even if they were nobles?" He is simply shocked beyond belief at hearing this. Poor county boy. "They are beautiful and will look nice on some girls finger, but I know I wouldn't dare wear one out." He takes a breath and carefully gives it back. "Better keep those safe. Maybe you should try one on, Ash."

Nevaera
2013-05-03, 09:47 PM
ASH

Ash smiles softly to herself as Mycah goes on about the centaurs like a boy on Christmas morning.

"Oh Ash, I wish you would have been there to see them with me. I know you'd understand." Ash laughs a little, "Maybe we should talk to Lord Bost and see if we can escort him for a diplomatic meeting or something..." She winks.

---

"Better keep those safe. Maybe you should try one on, Ash."Ash's eyes bug out a little, then she shakes her head slightly. "I- I don't think it'd fit over my gauntlet," she says while smiling at her joke - her face a little pinker.

---

During the walk back to The Nut, Ash offers, "I wish Lord Bost would write back. I hope there hasn't been any trouble at the keep."

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-04, 02:04 AM
The old man returns with the promised price, including 400 Grand Royals, the rarely seen platinum coin of the realm, and 400 Royals, the standard Karamekian gold coin.

Ash knows of nowhere in town safer than Lord Bost's Keep. Perhaps the temple, Baron Halaran's home Tarnskeep, or Merlinda's tower, but she didn't exactly have easy access to those.

She heads back toward the Nut with Mycah and Brandon by her side. They pass through the market place, which already twice as busy as normal. Clearly, some out-of-town traders weren't content to wait for caravan to arrive.

---
Nathros cleans the battlewear off his equipment and prepares for the next journey. From his brief look at the jewelry they looted, he figured Ash would be returning with a tidy sum. It was probably mere human handiwork, but still.

Frivolous
2013-05-04, 02:43 AM
She heads back toward the Nut with Mycah and Brandon by her side. They pass through the market place, which already twice as busy as normal. Clearly, some out-of-town traders weren't content to wait for caravan to arrive.

Brandon Bor

Bran stops to browse at the marketplace and see if any of the merchants are buying or selling things useful to adventurers, such as armor, weapons, or magic items.

He also looks to see if any of the visitors from out of town are scholars or magic wielders, who might be able to answer any of the mysteries the party has not yet solved.

Bran looks for signs of Fang involvement, if he can recognize any Fang amulets or insignia on display.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-04, 10:44 AM
Alanna decides to do some research in the temple's scroll collection. She recruits another cleric, one who spends more time studying, to help her find relevant scrolls and decipher the tougher words. She can offer the other cleric money, instruction on spells, or anything else the cleric asks, within reason.
The vague questions she asks at first reveal how little she actually knows about what she's trying to look up.

Nevaera
2013-05-04, 11:01 AM
ASH

On the way back while Brandon browses, Ash will have the Grand Royals changed in for Royals (Gold) so that her group can have an easier time calculating and making purchases with their money. They can buy gems or Grand Royals or what have you as they please.

Ash suggests they keep an eye out for some nice full plated armor for Brandon, Alanna, and maybe Nathros. Then the hirelings may be donned with their plate mail.

---

When Ash is together with Nathros and perhaps most of her group, she'll explain about the rings. About how much they're worth if sold right and that she's holding onto them in case the group needs a fresh start after a crippling battle. She doesn't offer this insight to Neela as she's not entitled to the wealth that the rings offer, nor does she want the information to go beyond the jeweler and her friends anytime soon.
She further explains that anyone of our main group who came back from the hobgoblin camp together could easily persuade to have the rings retrieved should anything happen to her - Lord Bost knows their faces and could trust them.
She doesn't announce this information carelessly loud enough for others than her allies to hear.

---

Ash finds herself carrying the sudden craving for practicing her lancing on horseback. It's been some time since she's done that and wonders if she's perhaps gotten strong enough to keep it steady earlier than the last second before the hit.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-05, 09:53 PM
Brandon spies a number of new, presumably out of town, merchants occupying tents in the market square. Many offer supplies likely to be of use to adventurers: weapons, armors, gear, and foodstuffs. There area also some booths of trade goods, like cloth, jewelry, and bulk grains. Nothing looks terribly exotic and nothing like Summers' menagerie, though.

---
Alanna, as a full priestess, has access to the scrolls of the temple. They include historical tales about the Traladaran's three great Heroes, Halav, Petra, and Zirchev, as well as traditional Thytian Immortals Asteris, Vanya, and Tarastia. Far from being a history in the scholarly sense, these scrolls offer brief vignettes of the Immortals' lives or the lives of those touched by the Immortals. Some offer more obvious lessons than others. A second type of scrolls involves some local history as scribed by scrolls through the years. Finally, a fair amount of miscellany exists.

Her recent successes, sudden wealth, and intriguing companions makes her fellow clerics eager to assist her. They fetch what she wants and help her with words, and they are happy to speculate or debate with her, but without direction, they are of limited help. One rather boldly inquires after a time, "what exactly are we looking for?"

---
The moneychanger is willing to exchange Ash's Grand Royals for Royals, but for a 3% fee. "The platinum will spend okay, you know, though some make take you for a visiting noble or a Ducal employee."

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-05, 11:59 PM
For a while, Alanna contents herself with the broader mythologies. She's embarrassed by the inquiry, though, when she realizes she doesn't know what she's doing.
"I… I'm not sure. I'll talk with my leader and ask her what we need to know. Tomorrow I'll come back with an idea of what I need."
She promises a double reward for those who devoted twice the time to helping.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-06, 09:49 AM
The excitement surrounding the impending arrival of the caravan affects Mycah as well and he eagerly scans the new tents and vendors for anything that looks exotic or new. He sees little of interest yet, but knows that there will be much more in store and his money is all but burning a hole in his pocket. For now though, he holds off, waiting to see what else materializes as more foreign merchants arrive and set up shop. He's especially interested in some sort of armor that will give him more protection than the plain leather he currently uses, but won't limit his mobility and hinder his activities.

Mycah is pretty well set on weapons and such, but I'd like to get him better armored. Thieves being limited to leather, perhaps something custom? Elven-style chain or similar? What options might I have, Roland?

Nevaera
2013-05-06, 10:51 AM
ASH

Ash changes her mind about exhanging the money in for gold. Instead (after her visit to the moneychanger), when she took the rings to Bost's for safe keeping, she'd swap out three hundred Grand Royals for fifteen hundred of her Royals.

She'll meet with Mycah and Brandon as they shop around before heading back to The Nut.

There she'll give Brandon 100 Grand Royals (platinum) and 100 Royals (gold). For everyone else, she's given the previously stated six hundred Royals (gold). She'd prefer to make this exchange in an inn room to avoid prying eyes.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-06, 05:17 PM
Alanna enthuses to the group at their meeting about the vast collection of knowledge at the temple.
"They have scrolls on absolutely everything! I wasn't sure what to research today, so I didn't get much done, but if anyone has questions, I'm going back to the temple tomorrow. Just make sure I know what to look up before I leave tonight."
She looks expectantly at Ash and Neela, assuming those two would be the most curious, as well as being the best to deal with information.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-06, 11:38 PM
The gold can be distributed privately and the rings stored away safely. Bost's Keep seems busier than usual, with many guests from around the region taking advantage of their friendship with Lord Bost to gain free lodging for the upcoming caravan.

---
Mycah spies a couple tents offering leather armors, mostly similar to the local versions. Perhaps the caravan will have more exotic lightweight armors he might be able to wear effectively.

Other types of hides exist and things light elven chain also exist. And, of course, magically enhanced leather or elven chain armors.

Matthew
2013-05-07, 08:53 AM
Nathros investigates the possibility of getting full plate armour; he expects it will take some time and skill to manufacture for his frame.

Nevaera
2013-05-07, 11:29 AM
ASH

Ash smiles a little at Alanna's enthusiasm, but her expression soon turns to focused and concerned, "I don't imagine you'll find out much about the immortal spiders, but be my guest to research them further.
"If the festivities go off without a hitch and no one wishes to seek our aid in any matter, then we may as well see if there's anything that needs to be done about the spider tomb.
"We'll need horses and a larger group for that though. We'll also need more than one powerful magic user and faith caster to deal with what we might find, I'd imagine.
"It is my hope that no one disturbs the tomb and there will be nothing we need to deal with."

Frivolous
2013-05-07, 11:37 AM
Brandon spies a number of new, presumably out of town, merchants occupying tents in the market square. Many offer supplies likely to be of use to adventurers: weapons, armors, gear, and foodstuffs. There area also some booths of trade goods, like cloth, jewelry, and bulk grains. Nothing looks terribly exotic and nothing like Summers' menagerie, though.

Brandon Bor

After browsing through the wares on display and thinking deeply, Bran decides that, for now, he is not interested in buying any material objects.

He does express an interest in information and news from abroad, particularly about evils and crime.

"I'm Brandon Bor, a local hero. I'm willing to pay for reliable news from reputable sources, particularly about evil."

"For example, do you know anything about the Fangs? The necromancer Ederick? This guy named Bargle?"

He stresses the words 'reliable' and 'reputable' while stroking the hilt of his sword and showing a lot of teeth when he smiles, to hint that he has no time for foolishness or attempts to trick him into paying for false gossip.

Actions

Level 4 Fighter
Hit Points: 16/16
AC: -1

Ability check: [roll0] to convince people to deal fairly with him or not at all.

Ability check: [roll1] to detect if anyone is trying to trick him.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-08, 12:41 AM
Nathros finds the local armorer quite willing to craft a suit of armor for him. "Got a little work patching up things fer some of the recent arrivals, but not a lot of new work. I ken probably finish it up for you in a week; you'll have to come back into have it fitted, but I can get yer measurements now."

Suit Armor is AC 0, Enc 750 cn, 325 gp, and carries some benefits and restrictions as noted in the RC (noisy, difficult to mount/dismount/get up from prone, but also blocks some area effects).

---

Brandon garners a variety of news and information, and he senses that few of his sources embellish and none seem to be telling tall tales.

One of the travelers from the south reports that the Fangs were a problem in Rifflian back in the fall, but a large numbers of elves came out of the woodwork to put them down. Another needs to be told about the Fangs, but upon description of the amulets and snake motif, she mentions that snake cultists have been harassing travelers along the Duke's Road north of Specularum. Troops have been traveling the road in greater numbers to deter them and the Order of the Griffon has dispatched a mission to hunt down the cult.

Several travelers have heard of Bargle. "Barge the Infamous? The Mage-friend of Baron von Hendriks of the Black Eagle Barony? Von Hendricks is the cousin of the Duke and he controls a barony at the far western edge of Karameikos and Bargle is his partner in oppression. But while the Baron mostly terrorizes his own people and close neighbors, it is rumored that Bargle travels Karameikos sowing chaos and evil. Even in Specularum, he is a subject of fearful rumors. All the Duke's outposts watch for him."

Of Ederick, they know nothing. Other evils vary from tales of bandits on most of the major trails, river pirates downriver, and giants and birds the size of houses harrying travelers of the few well-trod mountain passes to the north. Also, a trader from Kelvin who has purchased some goods from the Gnomish Caravan and rode ahead to sell them in Threshold reports that the Caravan saw a great dragon near the Duke's Road Keep on the Darokin Border. "They passed a valley that seemed to be alive with trolls and evil giants, too."

Nevaera
2013-05-08, 09:34 AM
ASH

Ash buys a lance and arranges for a target to be set up in the fields for her to charge at. She intends to practice shooting her bow and throwing her spear from horseback as well. After an hour of practice and some browsing at the shops, she'll head back to The Nut for supper.
If she bumps into Brandon, Nathros, or Mycah, she'll invite them to train in mounted combat with her if they're interested. If Brandon speaks to her about the information he's been gathering, she will show interest and he'll see she's impressed.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-09, 02:55 PM
Ash sets up her training ground on a flat area north of the Bost Keep. Occasionally, she spies travelers along the riverside trail below, headed toward Threshold.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-09, 05:35 PM
Mycah

Disappointed, but not really surprised, by the lack of armor offerings available, Mycah chooses not to waste the vendors' time at this point and keeps moving. He takes note of what is currently available, but wants to see what else becomes an option.

When Ash invites him to train on horseback, he declines.
"Oh, no, I don't think that's a good idea at all," he says quickly. "That's fine for you and the other tough fighters, but I'll be happy to trust my feet in a fight. Horses are handy fro getting around, but I'm not cut out to be a great knight like you are. Be careful, OK? That looks awfully dangerous to me."
He flushes, obviously embarrassed about something as he answers, then roots around in his pouch for a moment. He pulls out a small wooden carving and holds it out to her. "I made this for you while we were waiting for the hobgoblins. It's not too good, but it's supposed to be a tulip - they always remind me of spring and the pretty things you miss all winter. I... thought you might like it. You can keep it for good luck while you practice, maybe." He smiles at her, looking a bit shocked he's actually doing this maybe, as he waits to see if she'll accept it.

No posting from me tomorrow, I'll be out of the office again. Check in once i'm able.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-10, 12:14 AM
Armed with a more specific question, Alanna returns to the temple's library.
"My leader says to look up the Immortal Spiders. I want to find out as much as I can about them, especially the queen. Histories, skills, tactics. Let's try to find spells that might be useful while we're at it. I don't care how weird or oddly specific or even useless they seem at first, anything new would definitely be a bonus."
Alanna seems oddly enthusiastic about learning, and she spends almost the entire day looking things up, even ignoring meals. She only stops when it's time to meet up with the others at the Nut.
"If any of you guys want to come along, feel free. I'm sure you can explain the stuff we find out better than I can."

Nevaera
2013-05-10, 07:39 AM
ASH

"What I lack in luck, I try to make up for in guts and skill, particularly on the battlefield. However, luck has often made the difference for evenly matched enemies. I shall be glad to carry the advantage against my opponents - though I'm afraid it may become damaged if I carry it with me all the time...
"If it does - will you make me another?"

While she speaks, these thoughts mingle through her mind, Did he make one of these for Alanna too? No, that would be against his character. Then - She smiles softly as she returns Mycah's gaze at the end of her words.

I wonder if he knows the symbolism of the tulip... She grins a little to herself.

Frivolous
2013-05-10, 02:59 PM
Brandon Bor

After determining how truthful the tellers seem to be, Bran listens with attention and great concentration to everything told to him.

He muses, "A lot of trouble is happening on the Duke's Road and in Specularum, I take it. And the Fangs are opposed by the elves of Rifflian and the Order of the Griffin."

He pays the tale-tellers a total of 10 gold for their information and thanks them for their help.

When he next sees any or all of his companions, he relates the news he has heard, and his conclusions.

When Ash invites him to practice jousting with her, Bran looks surprised, then alarmed at the offer.

"I can't hit a girl for practice. Besides... You're Lord Bost's -niece-. I -really- can't hit you with a big stick."

OOC I will reduce Bran's total gp by 10. The 600 has already been added.

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-10, 03:49 PM
ASH

"If it does - will you make me another?"
When Ash meets his eyes and smiles back, he flushes more red yet, but does manage to not drop his gaze as he answers.
"Another one? Uh, of course I would, just ask. I can make something different if you'd like that better." Not an elegant response, but an honest one. The best he can manage for now.
"Well, I suppose you'd better get to your practice then. I'm sure you'll do good. You said you did some jousting back in Thyatis didn't you? I'll see you for dinner!" With that he smiles again and lets her go, watching her walk away.

Of course he doesn't know the significance of the tulip, silly. He's a guy. Duh. :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2013-05-10, 05:06 PM
ASH

Ash clearifies with Brandon, "We could hit the practice dummies instead, not that I love the idea that you wouldn't practice with me based on my social station." She tries to act like that didn't bother her too much.

Of course he doesn't know the significance of the tulip, silly. He's a guy. Duh. Heehee, I figured. :P Cat and mouse has been fun.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-11, 05:17 PM
Alanna returns to the temple, her assistants pleased to have something specific to look for. It was slow work, however, as there was no obvious treatise on the subject specifically. Still, there was a mention here of a treacherous spider beguiling townsfolk and there of a half-human half-spider and a small army of her children massacring a village. Then there were tales of the immortal heroes that mentioned spiders in a seemingly allegorical way. The trio certainly finds pieces of the puzzle, enough to spur them on to search for useful information.

Matthew
2013-05-11, 10:09 PM
After getting fitted for new armour, Nathros idles his time away in the Nut; when he finally grows tired of that, he considers taking a stroll around town and seeing what can be seen. By way of prelude he strikes up conversations with patrons of the tavern concerning local events.

Nevaera
2013-05-11, 11:11 PM
ASH

That evening, Ash reminds everyone that the guards could use their assistance in keeping the order in town while the festivities take place, including before the caravan arrives - probably.
Ash mentions that she intends to offer her services to the captain of the guards tomorrow morning and that anyone interested in helping can come along with her - unless more pressing matters arise.

Don't forget Mycah wanted to see Bran's mom about something still. :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-12, 09:09 AM
Mycah relaxes and enjoys his evening at the Nut, talking with whoever has chosen to remain there. When Ash reminds them she's offered the groups services as guards, he groan's inwardly. Guard duty? Ugh. So boring - that's why I started getting out into the woods back at the camp. Maybe there are patrols outside the town that are looking for trouble there...

His plan for the morning is to make the trip to the Bost farm to see what Mrs. Bost wanted him for. He's cautiously optimistic it'll be a good thing, since the others all had received various gifts from her and he hadn't. His (in his eyes) greed in asking a house of all things, just made him look foolish, but perhaps she's decided on some token out of fairness. He'll ask Brandon if he wants to come along and see his family, but can find his way alone if need be.

Longer term, he will do his part to help the guards since Ash pledged the Companions aid if needed, but he does want to do some training of his own. The horsemanship isn't an interest, but he realizes he's still very inexperienced with his sword and wants to get more comfortable with it. He'll seek out some of Lord Bost's off-duty guards perhaps, just to drill with, or just work through the forms on his own. He also has some ideas about archery he wants to play around with. He thinks he has come up with a way to arrange his gear sot hat he can draw arrows from his quiver more quickly and shoot faster, so he wants to try and develop that speed.
Practicing the Quick Draw skill, obviously.

Nevaera
2013-05-12, 01:55 PM
ASH

If there's any confusion regarding guard duty, Ash explains that it's purely voluntary and is not at all required of the rest of the group, though this is what she's chosen to do with her time.

Ash spends her late evenings at The Nut, though she is not inclined to drink to excess.
She is always armored and armed - in case anyone gets a little rowdy when she walks home at night.

Frivolous
2013-05-13, 07:03 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran practices jousting against a practice dummy. His new horse seems amazingly sturdy even for a warhorse.

His plan for the morning is to make the trip to the Bost farm to see what Mrs. Bost wanted him for. He's cautiously optimistic it'll be a good thing, since the others all had received various gifts from her and he hadn't. His (in his eyes) greed in asking a house of all things, just made him look foolish, but perhaps she's decided on some token out of fairness. He'll ask Brandon if he wants to come along and see his family, but can find his way alone if need be.

He belatedly remembers to tell his mother that Mycah wanted to talk to her about something... but he forgot exactly what the subject was. It couldn't have been too important, right?

Bran replies to Mycah, "No need to see them, I live there."

"Besides, I don't like family meetings much. They usually involve loud arguments and end in a stern lecture or extra chores or something like that."

For all that Bran seems close to his family, he does not go out of his way to see them more often than he already does.

Bran agrees to go with Ash to see the town guard captain.

Nevaera
2013-05-13, 12:31 PM
ASH

Ash gives Bran the choice of how he would like to be introduced (to the captain of the guard) - by title, by fame as an adventurer, or by both.

When he relates the news he's found regarding the threats within Karameikos, she considers the information then replies, "Sounds like those elves may not have wished to ally with the Fangs to overturn Threshold after all.
"And the Order of the Griffon is dealing with the Fangs around Specularum? Good. Perhaps we can ally with them for similar such endeavors if we travel that way.
"Bargle sounds like a dangerous man. We should be careful not to anger him before we're ready to consider taking on such a well sewn foe.
"If we travel those other parts, we will know what to watch for, but I'd not wish to gallivant about looking for trouble with giants and trolls unless they become a direct threat to Threshold or if we gain word of someone's capture by them."

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-13, 08:16 PM
Nathros finds the town as busy as he's ever seen it. Merchants from the surrounding areas have come to take advantage of the crowd the Caravan draws. Many craftmakers have probably been making their wares since the last Caravan visit. A few of the merchants have even dealt with the Caravan at its last stop and then rode ahead to trade. No one admits to that, of course, because they don't want trouble with the Caravan when it arrives. But rumor has it there are exotic weapons, art, and clothing as well as magic for trade.

The townsfolk are quite interested in the crowds gathering at the homes of local personalities. Apparently the Baron, Lord Bost, Merlinda, several others and even the Temple are seeing an influx of guests. A small encampment of supposed magic users has grown up around the base of Merlinda's tower. Across town many new and young faces wear the tabard of the town guard. Rumor has it that Lady Aleena has left town on another of her adventures, which strikes some townspeople as odd.

----
The guard captain appreciates Ash and Brandon's help. He authorizes the party to be armed and armored in town and to take such action as needed to prevent crime and settle disputes. He asks that they simply be visible in the market square and occasionally patrol elsewhere. He suggests the two of them and perhaps their Dwarven member could curtail some problems just by their presence. The the others might more surreptitiously keep an eye out for trouble.

----
Mycah finds Mrs. Bor expecting him the following morning. Gracious as ever, she spares him the awkwardness of explaining why he's there. She simply hands him a small picnic basket and gestures to a pair of riding horses. "I assume you have the day to spend with me, seeing about your share of the spoils."

Mrs. Bor does her best to engage Mycah in conversation, asking him about the party's recent adventures and about his time as a scout for Lord Bost. She will demur on any question of their destination, offering only "you will see" and "hopefully, it is what you had in mind."

The rest via PM.

----

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-13, 10:00 PM
When the time comes to meet at the Nut, Alanna asks her assistants if any of them would like to come and help her explain what she found out.
"Ash told me," she confesses, "that if we seek out the Spiders, we'll need more than one faith caster."

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-14, 10:05 AM
Mycah finds Mrs. Bor expecting him the following morning. Gracious as ever, she spares him the awkwardness of explaining why he's there. She simply hands him a small picnic basket and gestures to a pair of riding horses. "I assume you have the day to spend with me, seeing about your share of the spoils."

Mrs. Bor does her best to engage Mycah in conversation, asking him about the party's recent adventures and about his time as a scout for Lord Bost. She will demur on any question of their destination, offering only "you will see" and "hopefully, it is what you had in mind."

Mycah is certainly surprised and intrigued by Mrs. Bor's secrecy but he does his best to answer her questions as curiosity eats away at him. She is an intimidating woman to be sure, but her manner does indeed help to put him at ease. He sees where Brandon gets his strength of purpose as he gets to know her better.

He spends the day with her and by nightfall they've returned to town and he meets back up with his friends. They'll note an excitement in him but he doesn't comment on it and any questions are deflected as skillfully as he is able to manage. He doesn't talk much, actually, his mind awhirl as he comes to terms with the day's unexpected events.

The following morning, Mycah will find the stable that Ash had gotten the horses from for their hobgoblin hunting trip. He'll explain that he is interested in buying his own horse, not a warhorse, but one suited to scouting around in the forests. Small, fast.

Soon after, he'll check in with the guard captain, introducing himself as one of the Valiant Companions. He'll fill the man in on his scouting background and offer his services, preferably outside the town walls, joining the ranged patrols if the help is needed there.

Frivolous
2013-05-14, 11:36 AM
Ash gives Bran the choice of how he would like to be introduced (to the captain of the guard) - by title, by fame as an adventurer, or by both.

"If we travel those other parts, we will know what to watch for, but I'd not wish to gallivant about looking for trouble with giants and trolls unless they become a direct threat to Threshold or if we gain word of someone's capture by them."[/COLOR]

Brandon Bor

"Oh, just call me Bran."

"I think we should visit Specularum eventually. I'd love to visit a big city and see the sights. It'll be fun!"

A small encampment of supposed magic users has grown up around the base of Merlinda's tower.
----
The guard captain appreciates Ash and Brandon's help. He authorizes the party to be armed and armored in town and to take such action as needed to prevent crime and settle disputes. He asks that they simply be visible in the market square and occasionally patrol elsewhere. He suggests the two of them and perhaps their Dwarven member could curtail some problems just by their presence. The the others might more surreptitiously keep an eye out for trouble.

Bran promises the guard captain to spend at least 8 hours a day standing or sitting or walking around the market square and other places in town.

He mentions the guard captain's request to Nathros as soon as he sees him.

Bran approaches the magic-users and asks in a polite voice, emphasizing his country twang, "Hello, welcome to Threshold."

"What are you all here for? Some kind of magic-user get-together? Buying and selling stuff?"

Nevaera
2013-05-14, 07:34 PM
ASH

Ash narrows one eye and smiles a little on the same side of her face as Brandon chooses his title for introduction - Bran. "Very well. Your humility is an admirable quality." She bows just slightly as she delivers the compliment. Shortly after, she introduces Bran to the captain of the guards for assignment.

---

Ash guards the square as requested and does occasional patrols beyond, letting her presence be noted. She stands as tall and intimidating as she can manage for the sake of those that may require some incentive to stay in line. She's kind to those that need aid and particularly to children as she is oddly fond of them.

---

Ash wonders about Mycah's slightly different behaviour, but she doesn't pry as she's decided to trust that whatever it was is personal and would have no effect on the well being of the group.

When she's alone in her room before bed, she fidgets with the wooden flower gently and ponders about things past and things to come.

---

Ash will continue to patrol the next day after breakfast.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-15, 01:23 AM
Alanna's companions are happy to accompany her. They have only fragments and much of what they say, in terms of stories and sources, is incomprehensible to layfolk. But there are enough snippets and mentions of spiders and great evil to show that Alanna and her priestesses are on to something.

---
Mycah can purchase a fine riding horse with tack, saddle, and saddlebags for 110 gp. The guard captain informs Mycah that he lacks the manpower to patrol outside the city walls, but that it seems a good idea. He approves such a patrol and grants Mycah similar authority to that given Brandon and Ash.

---
Brandon travels outside the city walls and off to the northwest to Merlinda's tower. There a half-dozen tents have been raised. A few more people than that mill about chatting with each other or simply lounging about in apparent deep thought. Brandon's sense upon watching them is that these people are not a group but mostly individual travelers. One apparently is keen to speak, "Yes, we have come to trade with the Caravan, which is said to have many interesting magics. Also, some of us seek to apprentice ourselves to Merlinda or to one of the mages of the Caravan. But magic is not permitted inside the city walls, so we thought this the safest place. What bandits would dare challenge a powerful mage in her tower?

But why come you here, mailed and armed? Business with her greatness? "

Koren n'Rhys
2013-05-15, 10:24 AM
Mycah can purchase a fine riding horse with tack, saddle, and saddlebags for 110 gp. The guard captain informs Mycah that he lacks the manpower to patrol outside the city walls, but that it seems a good idea. He approves such a patrol and grants Mycah similar authority to that given Brandon and Ash.

Mycah accepts the stabler's offer and indicates he will return later with the funds. He also inquires about the cost of stabling/upkeep, to keep his mount with the man when he isn't using it. He'll add the cost of the first month to the price of the horse and tack. After meeting with the guard captain, he'll go to Lord Bost's manor and collect 100 gold from his money deposited there, then return to the stables and complete his dealings there.
-----------------
He promises the guard captain he'll see to regular patrols along the roads leading into town, a presence to discourage trouble by the incoming crowds just as his friends are doing in the square. For a few hours in the afternoon, he'll ride the roadways, using the time to acquaint himself with his new steed and check in with the gate guards to let them all know what he'll be doing.
-----------------
As the roads and town get busier with the incoming merchants, he continues to keep his eyes open for leather-workers who are offering the improved armor he needs, whether those improvements are through design or materials. He has a taste for something a bit exotic looking, perhaps elven-styled?
-----------------
Finally, as the day winds down he'll settle his horse back into it's stable and rendezvous at the Nut. He'll tell the others of the patrol duty he's taken up and about his new horse.
"I know I'm not much of a horseman yet, but I decided that if we're going to be ranging farther from home on our duties and adventures, I needed to learn. Having my own horse, one I can train with, and allow us to get used to each other, seemed smart. You'll all have to come meet her! I haven't decided on a name yet, though. I'll have to see what suits her."

Frivolous
2013-05-15, 01:04 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran smiles and speaks in a courteous and mild fashion to the magic-user he is speaking with.

"Not at the present time, no. Just wanted to see how and why so many magic-users are visiting. I was curious."

"I'm Bran, by the way."

He pauses, then asks, "If it would be all right to ask and be answered, what sort of magics are bought and sold at the caravan?"

Bran is polite, but he lacks much fear of the magic-user.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-16, 12:15 AM
"Hi, I'm Cowlishaw. Well, we don't know for sure. The Caravan has an unwritten rule about disclosing its secrets, but rumor has it that last time it was in Threshold they had an archmage who sometimes takes apprentices or trades spells from across the continent, and a trader with a wide variety of magical goods. My master purchased a wand last time and has sent me to acquire, uh, something else this time. One just has to inquire of the Caravan, I guess and hope they have it. Or put in an order and hope they can acquire it before their next visit."

None of the other pages join in the conversation but they seem to linger within earshot.

----
The party's meetings at the Nut continue to draw interest from the locals, who seek their tales of adventure and well-connected insights into the festival preparations.

----
Brandon and Ash occasionally break up minor scuffles and loud disputes as well as dispersing a crowd gathered around the Town Guard's removal of squatters from an abandoned building near the docks. No sign of the Fangs or other sinister plot appears.

----
Mycah's finds himself patrolling the long line at the South Gate as well as riding a large half-circle around the town. Mycah spies more burly farmers standing or sitting watch in the fields out west than usual; apparently they are on guard as well.

Nevaera
2013-05-17, 04:19 PM
ASH

With the folk that engage in any casual conversation with Ash, she'll tell them that she's part of the Vigilant Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers, that they are a known adventuring group in Threshold, and that her name is Ash. She hopes to spread the word so that her group will be able to take up missions with purpose more often - with set goals - rather than wander about with little insight and plenty of unexpected dangers.

She's always in her armor with her helmet on unless at The Nut (just no helmet), washing, or in bed.

When off duty, she'll seek out the messenger she sent to deliver her letter to Lord Bost and ask if things at Bost's Keep were going well (if her uncle was well).
She'll also see if she can manage time to ride around the perimeter with Mycah when he's patrolling the outskirts.

MeanMrsMustard
2013-05-19, 11:18 AM
Alanna enjoys the attention and tells stories to everyone who approaches her. Though she may embellish certain tales, she never exaggerates her own role in the group's exploits and always makes sure to give her companions credit for their bravery.