PDA

View Full Version : Sleeptalking

Riverdance
2012-10-01, 11:41 AM
The other night I was sitting around talking with some friends. My little sister was passed out on the couch. Suddenly she started talking. That was normal. I walk past her room at night and she starts talking all the time, but that's in the dark. This time it was light though. When she started talking she turned her head towards us, and her eyes were wide open, staring blankly ahead as she continued to spout gibberish. I asked her if she was awake a free times, and she mumbled something, but in the morning she remembered nothing. The whole thing was strangely terrifying.

Anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

JustPlayItLoud
2012-10-01, 12:05 PM
Sure does, just ask my wife. We have extended conversations while I'm asleep, and I retain nothing. She'll ask me repeatedly if I'm awake or not and whether I'll remember what we're talking about the next day, and in my sleep I will straight up lie to her and insist that I'm awake.

Karen Lynn
2012-10-01, 12:27 PM
I know I'm notorious for it. I find out after the fact that I will gladly argue religion, text people, and talk about metaphysics(magic, time travel, space/wormhole travel) freely. I never retain any of this, and only vaguely recall dreams that have nothing to do with the subject.

RandomNPC
2012-10-01, 08:19 PM
I once sat up and told my wife that acorns have a good blast radius. Her laughter woke me up. Other than that I think all the sleep talking I've witnessed is friends messing with me.

Elemental
2012-10-01, 09:08 PM
Hmm... Humorous story time!

Years ago, on grade seven camp; one of my friends was sleeptalking and was mentioning something to do with cheese. I asked him about it in the morning, and it turned out he was dreaming about stealing all of the world's cheese and blaming it on me.
Whether I sleeptalk or not, well, I have no clue. I'm usually still awake when everyone else is asleep.

Winter_Wolf
2012-10-01, 09:49 PM
I think it's fairly normal to talk in one's sleep. I've apparently done it a few times, and even though my spouse won't admit it, she does it a lot. She also kicks. Frequently, and with force. :smallannoyed:

Much prefer the sleep talking. More commonly I seem to do a lot of growling, though. Or possibly just mumbling that she can't understand.

Topus
2012-10-02, 07:34 AM
When i had a regular job (that was until two months ago :smallfrown:) almost every morning i sweet talked to my quasi-sleeping wife, before leaving, and she often replied in appropriate way.
In the evening, of course, she remembered nothing, so that now i could pretend i sweet talk to her in the morning even if I don't do it :smallbiggrin: (but in fact i don't exploit this opportunity, what an honest husband am i :smalltongue:).

Once she even said a sort of little limerick she totally invented, and then she laughed in a childish way.

Malak'ai
2012-10-02, 07:44 AM
Apparently I used to do this all the time when I was a kid.
My mother would sit on the edge of the bed and ask me all sorts of questions (eg: Did you rip the flowers out of the garden? or What were you thinking lighting the fireplace when no-one was in the room with you?).
She even got my father to sit in with her one night and record what I was saying... Was pretty creepy hearing me tell my parents a weird story about ice-cream on a tape recorder and no remembering anything about it.

Whether I still do it or not, I have no idea. Previous partners have never said anything. Though my ex-fiance used to mumble a lot in her sleep, though not in actual sentences, or in coherent fashion.

Mynxae
2012-10-02, 07:54 AM
According to Elemental, I sleep-talk. :smalltongue: Saying things like 'I'm nearly finished on the computer!'. Oh and a friend of mine came over early one time, tried to wake me up, apparently I said **** off, rolled over and went straight back to sleep. She still thinks I meant to say it, but I don't remember. :smallbiggrin:

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-02, 08:10 AM
I know I'm notorious for it. I find out after the fact that I will gladly argue religion, text people, and talk about metaphysics(magic, time travel, space/wormhole travel) freely. I never retain any of this, and only vaguely recall dreams that have nothing to do with the subject.

We need to have conversations while your asleep! I love talking about that stuff.

On a personal note, I used to sleep walk/talk frequently when I was younger. I'd also scare the crap out of people staying over because it would seem like I'd talk for awhile, and then all of a sudden stop and stop breathing for a long time, or maybe VERY shallow breaths. Something akin to sleep apnia, I'm sure. Anyway, I apparently still do sleep talk every once in awhile, but no more walking for me.

The most bizarre thing someone overheard me say was: So Mr. Camel, where do you want to go? Antarctica or Australia? *Points in two random directions, and then walks in one of them*

One time, I woke up sleeping in my front lawn, and another time I woke up in my closet.

Malak'ai
2012-10-02, 08:39 AM
I've never had a problem with sleepwalking, though one of my old flatmates did.
I got home one morning after crashing at my parents place after a bit of a family do to find grass clippings all through the lounge, hallway, my bedroom and leading to my flatmates room. I knocked on his door and there he was, sound asleep on top of his bed in a pair of shorts, covered head to toe in grass!
I woke him up (which was always a dangerous thing to do, to either of us) and asked him what had happened. He had absolutely no idea, all he could remember from the night before was getting home from work, having dinner and a shower then curling up in bed to go to sleep. Took me hours of vacuuming to get all the grass clippings out of my bedroom carpet :smallfurious:.

Traab
2012-10-02, 08:46 AM
My grandmother is a HUGE sleep talker. I tend to do it when im close to waking up. Thats how my parents always knew I was getting ready to get up. The chatter from my room would go way up for about 15-20 minutes. I also used to be a bit of a sleep walker.

Sliver
2012-10-02, 02:14 PM
When I was younger I used to sleeptalk after watching "Married with Children" before going to bed. :smalltongue:

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-10-02, 03:10 PM
When I was younger I used to sleeptalk after watching "Married with Children" before going to bed. :smalltongue:

Odd....what were your dreams about?

Kobold-Bard
2012-10-02, 03:41 PM
I got home one morning after crashing at my parents place after a bit of a family do to find grass clippings all through the lounge, hallway, my bedroom and leading to my flatmates room. I knocked on his door and there he was, sound asleep on top of his bed in a pair of shorts, covered head to toe in grass!
I woke him up (which was always a dangerous thing to do, to either of us) and asked him what had happened. He had absolutely no idea, all he could remember from the night before was getting home from work, having dinner and a shower then curling up in bed to go to sleep. Took me hours of vacuuming to get all the grass clippings out of my bedroom carpet :smallfurious:.

Did you have a load of grass clippings lying around, or did he cut the grass in his sleep somehow and then walk around throwing them everywhere?

Riverdance
2012-10-02, 04:14 PM

Mike Birbiglia has a book/show/other called "Sleepwalk with me" about his problems with sleepwalking. He once jumped out of a 2nd story motel window in his boxers and started running across the lawn before he woke up. That must have been interesting to explain to the people at the desk.

Malak'ai
2012-10-02, 07:42 PM
Did you have a load of grass clippings lying around, or did he cut the grass in his sleep somehow and then walk around throwing them everywhere?

Our lawn mover didn't have a catcher and I'd mowed the lawns a couple of days before.

Winter_Wolf
2012-10-02, 09:31 PM
Mike Birbiglia has a book/show/other called "Sleepwalk with me" about his problems with sleepwalking. He once jumped out of a 2nd story motel window in his boxers and started running across the lawn before he woke up. That must have been interesting to explain to the people at the desk.

Wow can you imagine if you were sleep walking around the neighborhood in your skivvies and you woke up when the cops tackled your sleepwalking self? How could you even begin to explain that in a way that would be believed?

When I was younger I used to wake up with my head at the opposite side of the bed from where I put it when I fell asleep. It was kind of problematic with sleeping bags. The crazed ramblings in my sleep are a lot easier to deal with than waking up with heavy covers wrapped around my head!

MoonCat
2012-10-02, 11:02 PM
I once started sleepwalking on a boat. (It was an overnight ferry.)

I woke up standing in a stairwell being glared at by a Greek security officer, two floors below, and on the other end of the boat, from my father and mine sleeping zone.

My dad still says he gets scared when he thinks about if I had jumped off the boat in my sleep.

I also fell down the stairs in my sleep, as well as, on a separate occasion, walked across a room to kiss a lampshade, then returned back to bed. I've got other stories like that, since I apparently sleep-walk a lot, but none that are very impressive. Mainly I just wander around in the kitchen or the hallway.

The weirdest parts are when I wake up standing and still remember part of the dream. I once woke up in the kitchen, being absolutely certain that my brother was in the refrigerator, and I had to find him immediately.

However, my sleep talk is pretty incomprehensible, according to my parents.

Sliver
2012-10-03, 12:11 AM
Odd....what were your dreams about?

I have absolutely no idea. :smallbiggrin: I think there was also that odd cartoon Bob & Margaret in the mix...

When I was younger I used to wake up with my head at the opposite side of the bed from where I put it when I fell asleep. It was kind of problematic with sleeping bags. The crazed ramblings in my sleep are a lot easier to deal with than waking up with heavy covers wrapped around my head!

Huh, I did that a lot too... Sometimes I fell off the bed, but didn't wake up. Apparently, my dad did wake up, as I never woke up on the floor in the morning, because he said he picked me up from time to time. Or it could be a joke. :smallamused:

Silverraptor
2012-10-03, 12:21 AM
I went out to boy scout events all the time and apparently I talked in my sleep and kept waking my tent mates up. But they told me it was gibberish such as "Yebahinadaba" and I would roll over still asleep.:smallbiggrin:

However, in an camping event where we were given a log cabin with bunk beds, the person sleeping before me said loudly waking us all up, "I'll be right there, I just have to finish this."

LaughingGnoll
2012-10-06, 07:59 AM
When I was still living at home, my brother and I shared a room with a bunk bed. Sometimes he'd randomly spout random gibberish in the night and wake me up. One of the strangest occasions was when he just started yelling and then mumbled, "Go find an ambulance" before being silent for the rest of the night. Of course, he doesn't remember it and denies it ever happened.

Serpentine
2012-10-08, 05:39 AM
Wow can you imagine if you were sleep walking around the neighborhood in your skivvies and you woke up when the cops tackled your sleepwalking self? How could you even begin to explain that in a way that would be believed?Serious somnambulism is actually really, really scary. There's people who have sex in their sleep, or assault people, or even rape or murder in their sleep :eek:

I don't think I sleeptalk, and I'm pretty sure I've never sleepwalked (never even fell out of bed - fortunate, as I spent a lot of my childhood on a bunkbed). I think I heard my sister sleeptalking once, but I can't remember what she said. I thought my ex was sleeptalking once, but it turns out he was having a bout of sleep paralysis and was trying to tell me to wake him up properly to snap him out of it because he felt like there was someone standing in the corner and it was terrifying :I

Bastian Weaver
2012-10-08, 05:45 AM
Yep, it's pretty normal. A friend of mine once, while asleep, opened her eyes, looked at her mother and yelled: "Mom, what's with your head?!" "Well, what's with it?" "It's the size of Texas!"
Then went back to sleep, blissfully unaware of what she just said.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-08, 09:18 PM
When I was at summer/sleepaway music program years ago, my roommates would comment that I mumbled in my sleep. Apparently, it was mostly incomprehensible, and none of my college roommates have said anything about it.

One time, I had no memory of dreaming, woke up, and was greeted with:
"Hey, you kind of mumble in your sleep. Who's [your ex-lover's name]?"

Another time, at a sleepover, after incredibly bizarre dreams about whales:

"Hey, you were saying something about whales in your sleep, so I mentioned gold, and you started saying 'gold whales'..."

The Extinguisher
2012-10-09, 01:16 AM
I've been known to carry on conversations in my sleep, only to respond with something ridiculous. My girlfriend loves it. She'll egg me on and has woken me up laughing before.

I used to sleep a lot on the bus, before I found out I sleep talk.
People probably think I'm crazy. :smalleek:

Mewtarthio
2012-10-14, 06:34 PM
The other night I was sitting around talking with some friends. My little sister was passed out on the couch. Suddenly she started talking. That was normal. I walk past her room at night and she starts talking all the time, but that's in the dark. This time it was light though. When she started talking she turned her head towards us, and her eyes were wide open, staring blankly ahead as she continued to spout gibberish. I asked her if she was awake a free times, and she mumbled something, but in the morning she remembered nothing. The whole thing was strangely terrifying.

My little sister does the same thing. My mother, too, but not as often, and she generally says perfectly normal things and simply doesn't remember them later. It's nothing to be afraid of, assuming that "passed out on the couch" means "she was really tired, so she fell asleep on the couch." If she'd passed out after taking a strong blow to the head, or if she'd been totally awake and showing off that cool new ventriloquist dummy she'd salvaged from an abandoned building before suddenly collapsing, then you may have cause for concern.

HairyGuy4
2012-10-14, 11:39 PM
My mom has really bad sleep apnea. But among those things is she will randomly try to talk to me while still asleep (on the nights when I stay there). I'm not used to it, so it freaks me the hell out.

And of course, she has no memory of what she says either. She also runs in her sleep (While still laying down). I've been tempted to U-tube it before, but she would never forgive me.

Temotei
2012-10-14, 11:42 PM
I was reading Dune when my girlfriend turns to me and says, "Look at the little dots" and points at random places on the page I'm reading. I asked what and she was annoyed and then immediately fell back to sleep. About half an hour later, she turned again and said, "You'll see the see-through things." I asked again "What?" and she got really mad that I didn't understand what she meant. She didn't remember anything. The second one sounds like a threat. It's glorious. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2012-10-19, 11:38 PM
I was reading Dune when my girlfriend turns to me and says, "Look at the little dots" and points at random places on the page I'm reading.

There's this one thing where you think you're seeing a lot of tiny (bug-sized) moving dots, but it's really cells on a certain part your eye being magnified enough that you can actually see them.

Maybe that's what she was seeing.

Temotei
2012-10-20, 02:42 AM
There's this one thing where you think you're seeing a lot of tiny (bug-sized) moving dots, but it's really cells on a certain part your eye being magnified enough that you can actually see them.

Maybe that's what she was seeing.

That happens to me a lot. Interesting.

Also, my roommate occasionally talks or yells in his sleep as if he's awake at me.

Apparently, I talked in French last year while sleeping.

noparlpf
2012-10-20, 08:51 AM

Anything like this ever happen to anyone else?

My brother used to mumble in his sleep. My roommate freshman year would hold intelligible conversations in his dreams; I often wondered to whom he was talking and about what. He also sang once or twice, and I heard him speaking French (no idea how good, I hate French) once, and he only took a semester once in like ninth grade.

randman22222
2012-10-20, 09:01 AM
I've no idea whether or not I sleeptalk, but once while on vacation, sharing a bed with my brother, he suddenly sat up, and said, "No! Give me the hammer!" :smalleek:

He fell asleep again immediately.

The Succubus
2012-10-22, 07:26 AM
I hope you at least hit him with a hammer for that.