PDA

View Full Version : The Tamori Yamabushi Prestige Class (3.5 Remake)

Sand Fox
2012-10-01, 10:15 PM
Disclaimer: I do not own Dungeons and Dragons, Legend of the Five Rings, the Rokugan setting, or anything affiliated with them. I make no profit from this post; everything listed is taken from or inspired by various source-books listed.

I’m a big fan of Samurai, and I just love the Rokugan setting (for more info, look up the Oriental Adventures and Rokugan Campaign Setting source-books and the splurt books associated with them). While I enjoy playing Legend of the Five Rings, the game from which the Rokugan Setting originates, I still love 3.5 D&D. As such, I love playing characters using the Rokugan setting. However, aside from being 3.0 setting, several of the prestige classes are both dated and seriously underpowered. As such, I’m giving my hand at setting them up so they are at decent 3.5 level.
The Tamori family have always been my favorite shugenja family (mostly because I love earth magic and I love the Dragon Clan). As such, I wanted to play one. However, their prestige class, the Tamori Yamabushi, found in Way of the Shugenja, was seriously underpowered, especially compared to some of the later 3.5 spellcaster prestige classes. They got little, lost multiple levels of spell progression, and where all of 5 levels; overall, not worth it. As such, I revamped it, stretching it out 10 levels and adding a lot of bells and whistles, not to mention a few neat ideas to boost power. Shugenja themselves are considered underpowered compared to other classes, and have a much more limited diversity of spell casting compared to other casters, even sorcerers, do to having an entire quarter of their spell list flat-out barred from the get go (via Elemental Focus). As such, I tried to make the Yamabusi’s power comparable to that of the more traditional casters of equal level, especially if they’d have a Prestige class.
To that end, I like what has come out. The Yamabushi seems to get a lot of bang for its buck, but let’s look at it. Sure, it gets a good deal of melee power compared to say a wizard or sorcerer, but they’ll have less basic attack the average cleric of the same level (the terrible attack from their Shugenja levels hurts a lot), and the average cleric has more potent spell to help at melee range. At the same time, Shugenja magic nicely blends arcane and divine spell lists, even if it is of limited selection. The class comes out as fairly focused on Earth magic and combat, adding to the shugenja theme of specialization over versatility. Even the Brew Potion feat, which may seem out of place, goes nicely with the idea of being able to use magic inside of battle without risk of losing spells.
In the end, the Yamabushi should be able to stand up in their chosen nitch with enough originality and style to not just be a “divine sorcerer,” or a “cleric with some sorcerer added,” but with limited spell selection or weaker melee. Instead, I think its original enough without being overpowered.
On a side note, the Shugenja of the Rokugan setting have the benefit of using different ability modifiers for their spellcasting instead of Charisma. Fire Shugenja use Intelligence, Water Shugenja use Wisdom, Earth use Constitution, and finally Air still use Charisma. As such, all class abilities of the Tamori Yamabushi use Constitution as their ability modifier; if the setting does not use this variant rule, substitute Con with Cha.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120405220061/l5r/images/2/26/Tamori_Shaitung.jpg

“The kami are my armor. My faith is my sword. Face me when you are ready to die.”
Tamori Shaitung, Daimyo of the Tamori Family and founder of the Tamori Yamabushi school

In the whole of the Empire of Rokugan, few families can (or would admit) to being more unorthodox or controversial then the Tamori of the Dragon Clan. Stubborn as the mountains and confrontational as fire, the Tamori are usually the exact opposite of what one would expect from a priest of the Kami. Despite their relative youth as a family (not even 50 years aged, as compared to the Kitsu of the Lion and the famed Isawa of the Phoenix, both old as the Empire itself), the Tamori have already become (in)famous among the Clans for their magical might; some even whisper that they are the true masters of Earth Magic in all the Empire. While such a wild claim is clearly debatable, none can deny the might of the blossoming family.
A great deal of the family’s acclaim comes from the Tamori Yamabushi, the warrior priests of the mountains. Even among the Tamori, the Yamabushi of the Dragon Clan are aggressive and war-ready. Unlike any other school of Shugenja in the Empire, they readily fight with their samurai brothers on the frontlines, blending the magic of the kami with the honor of their steel. The Yamabushi grow close the kami of the earth, drawing upon the powers of the mountains they call home, unlocking secrets of earth magic even the mystical Phoenix cannot understand.

The Tamori Yamabushi
Alignment: Any but Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil, or Chaotic Neutral
Skills: Craft (Alchemy), 4 Ranks, Concentration 8 Ranks, Knowledge (The Elements) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Void Use, Spirit Binding
Spells: Able to cast Divine Spells, as well as a Shugenja’s Elemental Focus: Earth
Table: The Tamori Yamabushi
Hit Die: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2| Warrior of the Mountains (Blade of the Mountain), One with the Kami +1 |+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Stand as Stone +1|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3| Kagaku Mastery |+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Warrior of the Mountains (Armor of the Mountain)|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Fire Beneath the Mountains, One with the Kami +2|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Stand as Stone +2|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5| Friendly Kami |+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6| Warrior of the Mountains (Wrath of the Mountain)|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3 |
+6| Stand as Stone +3 |+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|One with the Kami +3|+1 level of existing Shugenja spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Concentration, (Con) Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills are taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Armor and Weapons Proficiency: Tamori Yamabushi gain proficiency with a Katana, Wakizashi, and light armor.
Spell Progression: At each level, the Yamabushi learns additional spells and gains a caster level as if they had progressed in their original Shugenja class. Also, their Sense Elements feature improves with levels in this Prestige Class as well.
Warrior of the Mountains: One of the first lessons a Tamori Yamabushi to walk the paths of both the priests of the Kami, and as Bushi. Yamabushi are able to call on the Kami to aid their martial powers, gaining greater ability to do so as they level up.
Blade of the Mountain: At first level, a Yamabushi learns how to arm themselves with the weapons of the Earth Kami. They may spend 5 minutes working with earth and stone, calling on a kami to inhabit their work, forcing them to do a minor favor for the kami as well (DM’s digression as to what it is). Once this is over, the result is an Earth Blade, as the spell, as if it had been cast by the Yamabushi (including caster level improvement from effects such as One with the Kami). However, this blade lasts indefinitely as long as it is within 100 feet of the Tamori Yamabushi. A Tamori Yamabushi can only have one blade made at a time, though they can hand it to another.
Armor of the Mountain: At fourth level, a Yamabushi learns that just as they call upon the Kami to arm them for war, they can also protect them. They may, as a swift action, spend a spell slot to add their Constitution Modifier to their AC as a Deflection Bonus that stacks with all others of its kind. This manifests itself as a glowing jade aura around the user. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell spent, and may be used in response to an attack during another person’s turn, but only if the Yamabushi is aware of it. This ability may be used by the Yamabushi on any target of their Sprit Binding feat as if it was a Personal Spell; the level of the Summon Nature’s Ally spell determines the duration.
Wrath of the Mountain: At eight level, the Yamabushi learns truly how to blend spell and steel. They may, once per turn, spend a Void Point to activate this ability. Afterwards, as a Full-round action, they attack a single target in melee and unleash a spell of their Elemental Focus at them. The spell need not target the enemy attacked in melee alone; it need only have him or her be part of the area and/or effect; also, the spell cast must not take more than a standard action to cast. If the target is hit with the melee attack, the Yamabushi’s spell does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity, thought it still does for any foe within range who is able to do so; however, if the attack misses, the Yamabushi is subject to the normal rules. This ability may not be used if the Tamori Yamabushi is fighting or casting Defensively.

One with the Kami: As the Tamori Yamabushi grow in power, their understanding of the Kami becomes more intimate. They gain +1 on the DC of their Elemental Focus at first level, and the Caster Level with such spells improves by +1 as well. At fifth level, this improves to +2, and then to +3 at 10th level.
Stand as Stone: In their study of the defiant power of stone, the Tamori have not become like the mountains – they ARE the mountains. Constant exposer to the magic of the Earth and physical and mental discipline makes the Tamori Yamabushi strong of both body and spirit. At second level, the Yamabushi gains a +1 bonus to all Will saves and saves that would lessen or prevent physical damage (such as a Reflex save against a Fireball spell). He also gains +1 natural armor bonus that stacks with all other sources. This bonus improves to +2 at sixth level, and then to +3 at ninth level.
Kagaku Master: At third level, the Tamori Yamabushi learns the alchemic secrets of Kagaku, the art of binding and unlocking the powers of the Kami into potions. The Yambushi gains Brew Potion as a bonus feat.
Fire Beneath the Mountains: The Tamori consider the element of Fire to the compliment element of their native Earth, and they study it almost as closely as they do the Earth. A Yamabushi of fifth level unlocks Fire’s power for themselves, gaining as second Elemental Focus for fire. This second Focus grants a +1 bonus to DC save with Fire, as it would normally grant, as well as the bonuses from the One with the Kami class feature. However, it does not grant the bonus from a Yamabushi’s Superior Elemental Focus feat; the feat only grants its bonus to one Element, chosen when it is bought; it must be taken a second time for the second element.
Friendly Kami: At seventh level, the Yamabushi’s persistence as earned him the attention of a small kami that now follows him around. He gains the Friendly Kami feat; while most Yamabushi choose Earth as their Friendly Kami’s element, they are free to choose Fire as well. Once the choice is made, it cannot be changed.

New Spell
Earthen Blade
Evocation (Earth)
Shugenja Level 3
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Touch
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
A katana of earth and stone springs forth from your hand. You may use this blade even if you are not normally proficient with it, and may hand it to anyone else, who may use it as well.
The katana is a +1 weapon that deals 1d10+1 (from the Enhancement) + 1 point per two caster levels (max of +10). This weapon is solid, and you add your Strength to the damage. The Katana ignores metal armor, and damages resistance from creatures with the Shadowlands or Earth subtypes.
*This spell is updated by me personally from 3.0; it was originally found in Way of the Shugenja.

New Feats:
Void Use (Originally from the Rokugan Campaign Setting)
Requirements: None*
Benefit: You may have and spend Void Points, and your Void Point maximum is set to 3. Before making an attack roll, saving throw or skill check you may spend a Void Point to gain a +2 Void bonus to the roll. As a free action on your turn, you may spend a Void Point to gain a +2 Void bonus to AC until the beginning of your next turn. You may not spend more than one Void Point in these fashions. Void bonuses always stack. A frightened or panicked character may not spend Void Points. A full night's rest returns your Void Points to maximum, as does an hour's meditation and a Concentration check (DC 15). Unless otherwise specified, any use of Void Points is an extraordinary ability.
Special: You may take this feat in lieu of an Ancestor Feat if using the optional Ancestor Feat rules from Oriental Adventures. In the original 3.0 setting, Void Use gave out 2 Void Points, however, the 3.5 edit gives 3.
*In the original Rokugan Setting, only human characters (of the Samurai caste) could be trained in Void Use (with a few notable exceptions, such as Naga the Rokugan. Outside a Rokugan setting, this feat can be taken as the DM sees fit.

Depths of the Void (Originally from the Rokugan Campaign Setting)
Requires: Void Use.
Benefit: Your maximum Void is increased by 3.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Superior Element Focus (Originally from the Rokugan Campaign Setting)
Requires: Shugenja level 1+.
Benefit: Add +1 to the save DC of all spells from your Element Focus. This stacks with the Element Focus class ability, but not with the effects of the Spell Focus or Greater Spell Focus feats.

Spirit Binding (Dragon Clan Secret) (Originally from the Secrets of the Dragon)
Requirements: Dragon Clan, Void Use, able to cast divine spells as a Shugenja
Benefit: You may spend a Void Point when Casting Summon Nature’s Ally when summoning an elemental (called a Kami here). Instead of appearing as usual, the elemental’s spirit joins with your own or another willing target’s sprit. If you use this feat on yourself, the elemental remains with you for an hour for each caster level you have. As long as this ‘kami’ is joined to your spirit, you may, as a free action, dismiss the kami to cast a spell, though the spell’s casting time remains the normal time. The spell cast in this manner must be the same or of lower level than the spell that summoned the kami and be of its elemental type, and it does not count towards your number of spells cast for the day. This spell is treated as if it was affected by the Innate Ability feat, requiring no divine Focus.
If used on another individual, the spirit stays with the target as long as you maintain full concentration. While the kami is with the target, you may perceive with the senses of the target and as a spell as described above (to affect the target of this feat only) by dismissing the kami. This way, you may affect the target with spells normally limited to Personal Range.
Special: This feat is restricted to members of the Dragon Clan, unless the character is given permission by a high-ranking member of the Dragon and takes the Multiple Clans feat. The Clans jealously guard their secrets, however, and such an opportunity is quite rare, both a great honor and an even greater responsibility; a non-member of a clan must show great respect to those that have trusted him with their secrets.

Friendly Kami (Originally from the Way of the Shugenja)
Requirements: Shugenja lv 1+
Benefit: An invisible Kami pertaining to your elemental focus is near you at all times, aiding you in your spellcasting. Once per day, you may spend a void point of your element without expending a spell slot. In addition, you may cast any “Importune Kami” spell using the friendly kami as the target (normally, you must find an object of the size required holding a kami of the element needed for the spell). You must show the friendly kami respect and friendship, performing a favor or deed of some sort once a week for the kami, or loose the benefits of this feat for one week.