PDA

View Full Version : Urban Nightmare



Gamer Girl
2012-10-02, 01:09 AM
Trochtelfingeen, the City of Towers is a massive place. Founded some 2,000 years ago, the city now covers everything. If there is land that is not covered by the city it is unknown. Rumors say that if you walk far enough in a single direction you will eventually come to the Edge of the City and the Paradise Beyond, but that is just a rumor. The City is said to be founded by a dying forgotten god whose flesh became the animals, bones became the plants, blood became the waters and most of all, whose hair became the First Towers.

The Towers are the most striking feature of Trochtelfingeen. Each is a nearly identical square mass on stone set about in the ground. Each tower is exactly one hundred feet square, and at least several hundred feet high. Though the tops of most towers are not visible from the ground. The towers have no known ground access, no windows or doors are visible below one hundred feet. Rumor says there are windows and even balcony's and doorways inside above that, but the truth is unknown. A dark, shadowy haze of unknown origin conceals the tops of the towers from below, blocking all most all of the sunlight from above. The ground gets very little natural sunlight, except for the few rare and valuable places where the haze is not so thick above. Just below the haze, nesting in junk stuck to the sides of the Towers, can be found various flying creatures. The most dangerous of them are the Jerrii, the Piranha birds.

In side the Towers live the Towellen, the Tower Folk. No one is quite sure who they are, and rumors abound about them. No one is even sure what race they are or what they look like, but everyone is sure that they are there. Everyday, at set times and at random, Junk Falls from the sky. The Tower Folk simply throw everything and anything they don't want onto the ground far below.

Life on the Ground is harsh. Very few green plants can grow anywhere, except the treasured Green Zones. Though some shady plants do struggle to survive, most of the plants on the ground are ones that don't need sunlight to live. Water is rare, and there is no know water from the ground, the only water comes from Above. Several set spots dump water from the Towers on regular bases, though most of that water is little better then poison. Rain is uncommon, but is almost the only source of natural water. Several animals thrive in the environment, such as rats and vultures, but many animals are unknown to exist naturally. And living in the shadows of the Towers are the Pordron, the People. The poor souls who must fight for existence on the ground. They live in whatever they can throw together from Junk Falls or that they can otherwise create. Fighting is a simple way of life for the People. The People are of several dozen races, though most consider themselves all of one race. No race has a majority and everyone is just as bad off as everyone else.

The one small saving grace on the Ground is magic. Through magic the Pordron can just barley manage to survive. Though there are far too many People in need, and far too few spellcasters. Still, with magic, the People can get many much needed things. The Churches are quite a powerful force because of this, offering needed things to only their faithful. Though the Churches constantly war with each other. Arcane spellcasters have never successively formed any type of organization, though it has been tried before. A great many spellcasters live lives that are little better then slaves, attached to a powerful patron. Most free spellcasters hide their magical talent, but plenty make a good living as an independent person.

The Pordron form into various small gangs, but such groups often don't last long. A leader can often only keep a gang together as long as he can meet their daily needs. Most people look out for little more then their own.

Breisgauan is the largest known Green Zone. It is the only place known that still has any strong connection to Fey Magic. The forest is filled with various Fey related creatures(though true fey type creatures are all but unknown), that are constantly at war with all their hostile neighbors. The northern dwarves, in particular invade and conquer a little more of Breisgauan every year. Though the areas conquered by the dwarves are still in the Green Zone, they are quite often as wasted and barren as the rest of the land as the dwarves don't maintain the land. And while others do invade from time to time, they are most often driven back. The dwarves however, have been a constant black mark.


It is into this horrible Urban Nightmare that you are born:

Mangles
2012-10-02, 08:15 AM
Alexandria Württemberg. High born dwarf, part of the elite ruling class and forever a stain on her family's name. She picks with gnarled fingers at the debris around her. Searching for anything that might be of value. A mountain of "treasures" on her back display the things she has already found.

She is unaware of her surroundings when she starts searching through the junk. Too focused on what may lay beneath the top layer. Talking to herself all the while. "Nothing here, nothing here. Why isn't there something. There is always something a little deeper. Just a little more searching and we will finds it."

Milo v3
2012-10-02, 08:31 AM
Kirabo scratched at his itchy beard as gazed across the area, trying to see any threats which could come near. He was currently crouched on the branches of a tree he had earlier climbed, though he was disappointed in that it looked like it was either dying or dead.

Hearing the Dwarf mumble to herself again, the feybound cast his eyes towards his companions.
"They never leave anything good. If you search through it again, that wont change. And it also means we have less time to reach shelter."
The Spiderblood's tone was relatively calm, but you could notice the anxiousness in his pessimism.

Mangles
2012-10-02, 06:16 PM
"They might have missed something, you never know. You never know anything about the treasures." Alex goes over the junk one more time before relenting to Kirabo.

"Fine, there is nothing here. Where shall we go to shelter, maybe they have better piles there."

Erik Vale
2012-10-02, 09:59 PM
"Where do you think? Where we always do."

Marni shakes his head, and, as usual, standing a little back. It was a curse to have a good nose down here, and there was no chance he was going to attempt to climb the towers again.
"That is, assuming no one else has moved in.... But it may be time to move on."

Blueiji
2012-10-06, 06:42 PM
Eoin agrees with Kirabo, thinking that it would be wise to get a move on. However, he doesn't wish to upset Alex, whom he pities.

Approaching the pile of discarded materials and trash, Eoin begins to help Alex search through it.

"Perhaps I could help?" Eoin suggests, hoping to speed up the normally long process of scouring a trash heap.

Mangles
2012-10-06, 09:29 PM
"No! Lets just go. You can help me search the next one, yes please thank you."

Alex leaves Eion at the pile and starts to rearrange her personal pile of treasures, readying it for the walk back to their current home.

Blueiji
2012-10-06, 11:16 PM
Realizing that his assistance wasn't needed (as Alex was willing to go), Eoin stands up from the heap, wiping his hands on his trousers as he does so.

"Are the rest of you ready to depart?" Eoin asks.

Milo v3
2012-10-06, 11:47 PM
Kirabo dropped down from the branches and joined his companions.
"I'm obviously ready."

Gamer Girl
2012-10-08, 07:18 PM
A quick wind blows up from the north, bringing the rotting stench of whatever can be fund in that direction towards the area around you all. Just as quick as it started the wind dies down. As soon as the wind fades, the sounds of heavy boots fill the air, as a group of two dozen dwarves march between the towers just west of where you are at. Wise folk move out of the way of the marching dwarfs, but some get a good swat out of the way by the dwarves with big clubs. The dwarves stop at a tower a couple dozen feet away and form a crescent shaped double line around one side at the bottom of that tower. Then the dwarfs just stand there, alert and watching with weapons drawn

Milo v3
2012-10-08, 08:18 PM
Kirabo was anxious, the Dwarves were known for taking the small amounts of decent land.
"Do they plan to attack? These dwarves have already taken so much of the Green."

Blueiji
2012-10-08, 10:00 PM
Eoin contemplates Kirabo's question and then says the following. "If we wish to know the Dwarves' intentions, then would it not be best to ask them?"

Mangles
2012-10-09, 03:05 AM
Alex pipes up, "I'm a dwarf, I'll ask, they might even reward us for our bravery." She starts to trundle towards the dwarfs intent on pestering them to the best of her ability.

Erik Vale
2012-10-09, 05:41 PM
Marni finally recovers from vomiting after the change of wind, luckily, not much of it was food.

" I would guess something has informed them someones about to drop something from the tower. But would you really like to ask? But then again, I could try and climb above them, maybe grab some things should they be thrown, before they can pick the choisy bits."

Gamer Girl
2012-10-09, 06:40 PM
The dwarves don't move much from there double line semi circle around the tower, they simply stand there alert and with weapons drawn. Most folk give them a wide berth, but the few folks that come too close get a swat from a club.

Two dwarfs, both with battle axes and chain mail but no shields to take notice of Alex and even point and gesture at her. They lean close to whisper to each other so nothing much is heard other then an occasional "Har, har, har" The rest of the dwarves don't seem to take any notice of the twos actions.

Blueiji
2012-10-09, 08:44 PM
Eoin listens intently to Marni, not paying much attention to the snickering Dwarves.

"That's an excellent idea Marni, we'll just have not make sure they don't notice you. . ." Eoin trails off, trying to think of some way to distract the Dwarves.

"It seems that, for now at least, the guards are preoccupied with Alex, however that may not last for long." Eoin says, commenting on the situation. He then turns to Kirabo, saying "Kirabo, do you have any ideas?"

Milo v3
2012-10-09, 09:40 PM
"Sadly my specialization is NOT getting noticed. I could stab one of them in the face, but I believe that would end in our swift death."

Blueiji
2012-10-09, 09:54 PM
Eoin laughs at what he hopes is a joke on Kirabo's part. Then again, Eoin wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. "Perhaps you could help with the accumulation of the falling objects then? I'm sure that Marni's efforts could only benefit from an extra pair of hands."

Eoin glances back at the group of Dwarves, checking on their current activities. "I guess that leaves me to help with the distracting," Eoin says as he walks over to Alex.

Erik Vale
2012-10-09, 10:30 PM
"Well.... I'll start moving around to the opposite side to start walking up it... Maybe just seeing me will disrupt them enough for you to help, but I have no clue how you would distract them... Perhaps make a scene with our own Dwarf."

Shrugging, Marni beggins walking such to move to the tower, however off to the side/behind and out of sight of the dwarves, ready to climb up it.

Mangles
2012-10-10, 03:39 AM
Alex reaches the sniggering dwarfs and addresses them seriously. "Young man. Why are you here? Is it the treasures from above? Is it? We like the treasures. We could help, yes?"


diplomacy if needed
[roll0]

Blueiji
2012-10-10, 08:32 PM
Eoin catches up with Alex, just in time to hear her addressing the Dwarves. He then waits patiently for the Dwarven guards to answer Alex's question.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-10, 08:41 PM
The two dwarfs stop whispering as Alex gets closer, but they both keep their eyes on her and listen to her words.

Dwarf Guard"Ah, well yes mama, we are waiting for a Treasure From Above. But I doubt that we will need any help. "

Erik Vale
2012-10-10, 08:53 PM
Upon hearing this, Marni, still walking away, has trouble not going to a dead run, walking as quickly as is feasible. Then, soon moving out of sight, Marni starts walking up the tower, towards the side the Dwarves are on.

Mangles
2012-10-11, 09:49 PM
"What treasure, what is it? I must knows what the treasure is. The treasure rains, how do you know its coming?" Alex keeps shifting from foot to foot, basically dancing with excitement.
"I'm good at finding treasure, not today though, but I'm good at finding treasure. If you know when it rains you could get all the treasure. How do you know?"

Gamer Girl
2012-10-12, 10:12 PM
Dwarf Guard:"We know it's coming as we got our hands on a seer. And it's stuff we really want, metal. Stuff we can make good weapons and armor and mugs out of. There will likely be other junk, that we'd be willing to share."


The dwarves watch Marni movements, but they stay in there defensive half circle line.

Erik Vale
2012-10-12, 10:37 PM
Marni shook his head but kept walking along the tower. He could hardly run or sneak, and had been hoping that they kept the dwarves distracted, but that was life.

At hearing it was metal, Marni slowed a little in his walk, but quickly resumed. It was just mostly metal, perhaps he could pick something good, just as long as he wasn't knocked off.

Blueiji
2012-10-12, 11:28 PM
Eoin's mind races, attempting to think of a good way to draw the Dwarves away from the towers so that Marni and Kirabo will have the opportunity to gather as many as the incoming falling valuables as possible. After a couple second rushed thought, Eoin comes up with a (not very well thought out) plan.

Eoin jerks his head around suddenly, pretending to have heard a noise from far off. Then he turns back to the Dwarves, contorting his face into what he hopes resembles a look of panic.

"Err, fellow Dwarves! Did you hear that? It sounds like the falling objects are coming from the tower over there!"

Eoin points off behind him, towards a tower nowhere near where they're currently located.

"If you want to get a hold of the valuables before some random, undeserving city-folk do, then you had better hurry!"

Eoin is bluffing, obviously. He's attempting to get the Dwarves to go away, so that his companions can acquire the desperately needed items about to fall from the towers.

I'm holding out on rolling a bluff check, as I'm hoping that Alex will attempt to help Eoin in the fib by using the "aid another" option to give Eoin a +2 on the bluff check. However, if Alex decides not to do so, I'll be happy to make the roll, or Gamer Girl could roll it for me.

I have a +2 bonus on an untrained bluff check, such as this one.

Mangles
2012-10-13, 06:26 AM
"Where? Mine!" Alex starts, what she considers, running to the tower that Eoin is pointing to. Frantically searching the sky for anything falling.


she just isn't that bright.

Blueiji
2012-10-13, 06:56 PM
Here's Eoin's bluff check.

[roll0]

Blueiji
2012-10-13, 07:04 PM
For some reason in the above roll I made it's only displaying "[roll0]" rather than the result, I'm trying again here. Bluff check = 1d20+2.

[roll0]

If I mess up again than I'f love it if you rolled for me. I've never been good at using the forum dice roller.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-15, 09:53 PM
A couple of the dwarves look over towards Eoin, but they don't get much of a chance to do anything as loud sounds fill the area. From the south a caravan of several more dwarves, wagons and horses enter the area. The dwarves take several minutes to rearrange and reorder all the dwarves, horses and wagons. While some of the dwarves keep an eye on the others around, they mostly don't bother them. Soon enough the dwarves have formed a nice half circle around the base of a tower.

Then, a couple small bits of shinny metal start to fall from Above....

Erik Vale
2012-10-16, 02:57 AM
Marni gulps seeing the additional Dwarves, but he has no choice now, as goods start falling, perhaps he can talk them to letting him out with... A few tid bits.

((Actions))

Marni will go for the most useful, then the most valueble looking items. I will let you roll as you wish, but (I think all) relevant information as to my character below.
Appraise: +1 (Valuble Stuff)
Survival: +0 (Useful Stuff)
Tumble: +3 (Dodging bigger Stuff)
AC: 16 (Dodging bigger Stuff)
Reflex: +3 (Dodging bigger Stuff)
Melle Attack Bonus: -2 (Grabbing Stuff)
Size: Medium (For Reach)
Knowledge Arcarna: +4 (Identifying Obviously Magic Stuff)

Gamer Girl
2012-10-17, 09:03 AM
In the first couple minutes mostly small pebbles of dull colored metal fall from Above. As each one of these hit the ground they often roll and bounce quite a distance. The worker dwarves, the ones from the wagons without any armor but still armed with clubs, run after the pebbles. Several pebbles bounce and roll right past the dwarves, and they don't give chase far.

Marni has very little problem getting two pebbles of metal in the first couple minutes of the rain.

Mangles
2012-10-17, 05:33 PM
Alex turns and runs back to the group as she realises that she was tricked. "No the treasures. My treasures." She starts frantically trying to chase down a bauble

Erik Vale
2012-10-17, 06:33 PM
Marni simply smiles not caring much about the specifics other than the Dwarves want them... Maybe, and continues his efforts, pockiting objects as he does so.

Blueiji
2012-10-17, 06:40 PM
Eoin also gives chase after the pebble-like objects, hoping that their seemingly humble appearance hides a greater value.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-18, 09:01 PM
The rain of metal pebbles lasts for a good five full minutes. The worker dwarves move about and collect most, but not all of them. Plenty bounce and roll out of there reach.

Then melted and broken bits of worked metal start to fall. It's hard to tell what all the shapes and sized of metal might have once been, but the dwarves run to pick the pieces up.

Several wooden wagons and carts fall after this. They each shatter into piles of scrap and timber when they hit the ground. Several wooden wheels do survive the fall. Other then getting out of the way, the dwarves ignore the piles of wooden scrap.

Finally, several large ten to fifteen feet tall metal statues fall. They look like vaguely humanoid shapes, though each one has a tool for a left hand such as a shovel, pick or such. They make it to the ground mostly intact.....

Blueiji
2012-10-18, 10:19 PM
Eoin ignores the larger pieces of metal in favor for the the pebbles, knowing that competing with the Dwarves for the larger chunks would surely be more difficult than simply collecting the smaller pieces. Eoin also ignores the wooden pieces, assuming that they are invaluable due to the Dwarves apparent disinterest with them.

Eoin is intrigued by the falling statues. The manner in which the figures limbs are replaced by tools seems reminiscent of his own practice, Xenoalchemy. However, the fact that these being's grafts are manufactured rather than organic perplexes Eoin.

After scouring the area for any remaining pebbles, Eoin turns to his nearest comrade and suggests the following. "Perhaps we should be depart. We don't want to have to give these gifts from the sky to the Dwarves."

Erik Vale
2012-10-18, 10:38 PM
Marni grabs coins with delight, that quickly disapears when large chuncks of metal and carts begin falling from the sky.

Almost immediately he begins fleeing, dodging bits as he moves to get out of the way, or where the fall is smallest, he completely ignores statues and wagons for the purpose of grabbing, but he does grab a small peice of metal, that would have hurt him on impact and indeed did cut his arm, but there was nothing else he could have done. Perhaps it could be useful.

As quickly as possible, he makes his way off the tower while staying away from the wall.


Considering I wasn't told I was bashed I'll assume I made it through safely. I don't know if I would have more peices of metal, but I think one small peice is a safe assumtion, feel free to tell me to change it. Could I get a tally of what I got and any damage?

Gamer Girl
2012-10-18, 10:58 PM
Marni The metal junk falls slowly enough and in a fairly set area right below the tower, so it's easy enough not to get right under anything that falls(assuming your not standing in the obvious target area).


You have no problem getting six metal pebbles. You can also grab a three foot metal rod, a half round ball of metal and a palm sized metal cog.

Mangles
2012-10-19, 02:26 AM
Seeing the statues makes Alex forget everything else. She goes straight for the nearest one and tries to attach it to her collection. Moving as fast as she can away from the dwarfs who might want to take it from her.


Max load for me is 600 lbs. Hopefully the statue weighs less. Otherwise I'll drag it if I have too.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-19, 08:13 PM
Alex can make it to one of the statues on the edge of the fallen metal junk. She gets her hands on a ten foot tall humanoid metal statue.


Metal statue weight is just over 400 pounds.

Mangles
2012-10-19, 08:40 PM
Alex piles it on the top of her collection in the prime position. The rest of her junk pile compresses around its weight. She turns and starts running. Even through her mild madness she is sensible enough to know that this is probably what the dwarfs were after, and they weren't going to get her treasures.

Blueiji
2012-10-19, 10:43 PM
Eoin takes note of the direction Alex was heading and then strides over to the base of the tower, waiting for Marni to reach the ground.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-20, 10:58 PM
The fifteen foot tall metal stature suddenly moves! With a single quick swipe of it's axe like left had it cleanly cleaves through three of the worker dwarves and one of the fighter dwarves. Leaving just eight half dwarf parts bloody on the ground. With it's right fist, it punches out and smashes a single fighter dwarf to pulp.

The dwarves react quickly and ready to counter attack...

Blueiji
2012-10-21, 02:13 AM
Eoin is shocked by the sudden animation of what seemed to be simple statues.

Seeing the ease with which the statues felled the Dwarven infantry, Eoin is tempted to turn and run. But knows he should stay with his companions. He remains at the base of the tower, waiting for Marni to finish his descent to the ground.

Milo v3
2012-10-21, 02:47 AM
Kirabo was stunned, generally the gifts from above didn't try and kill everyone.

He quickly started to examine the area, to see if their was any cover so that he could evade the statue.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Gamer Girl
2012-10-21, 03:24 PM
Kirabo

There is some cover available. There is plenty of junk and trash oiles that can provide soft cover. The dwarven wagons also provide cover. And there are always the towers themselves.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-24, 12:26 PM
Small bits of wood, metal and clay about the size of peas fall across the area in a very dirty rain......

Milo v3
2012-10-24, 04:42 PM
Kirabo skirts around the area, using the junk as cover.

Erik Vale
2012-10-24, 04:47 PM
If any of the rain passes near Marni he stops to catch it, as he continues towards the towers base.

Blueiji
2012-10-24, 05:29 PM
Eoin remains at the base of the tower, waiting for Marni. However, he keeps a watchful eye out, not wishing to get unexpectedly charged by one of the statues.

Looking at the statues, Eoin attempts to study them from a distance, hoping to learn something about these strange constructs.

Eoin is going to use the "Knowledge: Arcana" skill to identify the nature of the statue-like constructs. Eoin have a +9 to Knowledge: Arcana.

Here's the roll. [roll0]

Mangles
2012-10-24, 05:42 PM
Alex keeps running for a little while, putting some distance between her and the dwarfs. Peering back and seeing how busy they are fighting their own statue makes her stop in her tracks and watch.

Gamer Girl
2012-10-29, 08:18 PM
The massive metal construct continues to cut a bloody path through the dwarves. With a single swipe of it's axe hand it cleaves through four more dwarves. A fifth dwarf is turned into to so much goo as he is smashed by the constructs fist.

The dwarves quickly form small battle groups and attack. The dwarves with clubs have little effect on the constructs metal hide, but the dwarves with axes cause dents and a couple of jagged cuts. Most of all two dwarves hurl stones at the construct that explode when they hit and twist and melt it's metal hide.

Erik Vale
2012-10-29, 10:07 PM
Seeing the effects of the Dwarves attacks, Marni scraps any thoughts of using his own attacks on the golems. He wasn't that much better than a thrown club.

"Eoin, run, I'll meet you at our hideout, no point waiting for me."

He continues his downward descent, now just going down, not bothering at moving away from the melle.

Blueiji
2012-10-30, 07:50 PM
Reluctantly, Eoin heeds Marni's advice. Normally he would never abandon a friend, but he trusts Marni to take care of himself, he's proven to be more than capable in the past.

Eoin heads for Kirabo's hiding spot, hoping to hide with him.