PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's IC



Azoth
2012-10-06, 05:48 PM
OOC threadt here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14004542#post14004542


Hunters:
A Requiem


Over 1000 years ago some cataclysm happened. No one alive knows what happened exactly, but the result are obvious. The monsters of legend became embolden and no longer hid in the wilds away from humanoid kind. At first attacks were infrequent and didn't cause much damage, but they soon escalated. Monsters of all kinds began striking in large number against the settlements humanoid prided. There was no obvious purpose aside bloodshed.

Kingdoms at first rallied their armies to combat the threats, but they were ineffective at gaining ground. They barely managed to hold their borders. Mages were drafted like peasant infantry when dragons and other oncient beasts joined into the fray. It was an all out bloodbath for near fifty years.

After that time the races knew they could not hold out alone and joined forces. Gnome engineers machining engines of war right next to dwarves. Human and elves joined in effort and magical knowledge. Orcs, Gnols, any not skilled in other arts of war were brothers in arms on the front lines. Their blood spilled together as one fighting off the giant beasts and abominations.

The creatures saw this and marveled at the union of all things man. Then they themselves let loose a true horror. For fifty years battles happened between dawn and dusk. Now a new war was waged. Lycanthropes, Vampires, and all manner of undead joined in their attacks.

It wasn't long before no hour was safe, and the races of man grew weary. Their defences couldn't hold. They fled their homes of honor and took to the wilds. Survivors set up small villages fortified in nature and armed with the remnants of their war efforts. This is where they have stayed for over 800 years.

Some science and magic remain, but it is a far cry from the pinnacle that exhisted before the war. It is enough to help keep disease down and grow sufficient food. The knowledge to maintain or manufacture the village defenses is gone. Some have learned a few of these artifacts secrets, but not enough to be of true use.

In these dark times, few have brought up the courage to leave their homes, but there are those who risk life and limb. Their call is their own, but they all make strides in reclaiming the lands of their forefathers. This bunch are all met with diffrerent opinions, and even more names, but all are known as...Hunters.



The day is hot, and the hours long. Even in this village that has seen relative peace for a few years, life looks hard. Those that live here are bustling about like bees in a hive. Carts full of produce and animals are moved along the cobblestone roads like cloakwork. Shopkeepers bellow out the wares at any unfamiliar faces that traverse the streets.

Aside the noise and smells, the town seems pleasent enough by most standards. That is aside one old man that can be seen running down the street screaming his head off at anyone who will listen. Something about monsters, or beasts, and a girl. That is about all that can be made out during his frantic ramblings.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-07, 03:24 AM
Willem shakes his head at a peddler running an apothecary a stand. "I beg to differ. When applying the correct combinations of fomentations and electuaries to ease the pain and treat the wound you can heal just as effectively as you would with a-" He looks up as the old man runs by screaming. "What in the nine hells?!"

Willem looks about for signs of trouble...
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

If he doesn't hear or see anything:
He looks to the old man, to see if he's lost his mind.
Sense Motive: [roll2]
General Int (To see if I recognize the man): [roll3]

If he does:
"Take cover," he yells to the vender as he slips his bow from his shoulder and darts off in the direction of the impending threat.
Knowledge Checks (To see if I recognize the threat):
Arcana: [roll4]
Dungeoneering: [roll5]
Geography: [roll6]
History: [roll7]
Nature: [roll8]

NotScaryBats
2012-10-08, 12:01 PM
Sister Judith Goodberry exits the small home where she had been tending a sick child. In time, the young boy's strength would return, and rest was all he needed now.

A tall and well built woman, Judith is clearly a traveler - she is heavily armed walks with confidence. With a longbow on her back, a glaive as a walking stick, and a backpack full of the other travel necessities, the Healer makes her way onto the main street of the village. A white tunic cut from a traditional healer's robe marks her for her primary profession, while the sturdy leather clothes and travel worn boots mark her other one.

Judith looks around, finished with her work for the time being.

Man on Fire
2012-10-08, 05:02 PM
Screaming reaches to near wagon with hay. Small, lizard-like person sleeping on it rises slowly. "They just won't left a guy sleep for a five minutes." Baran Dowan says, jumping from the wagon and landing on the ground. He is small, red-scaled kobold, wearing no other armor but helmet and face protection. He walks towards the old man and stops him.

"Well old guy, where do you have these monsters?". He asks nonchalantly, giving old man a look like he cared nothing of his problem, but wasn't doing anything better anyway.

Eldariel
2012-10-08, 06:22 PM
Having just finished his study session, Illyvion left home only to stumble on some crazed old man rushing across the street. As he notices a kobold stopping the man, he leans on a wall with his face concealed by his cloak, and simply listens in on the exchange to determine if there's anything that needs a hand.
Determine if the man appears to just be creating commotion or if he actually believes what he says:
[roll0]

Generic Spot and Listen incase there's anything noteworthy:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Azoth
2012-10-08, 06:44 PM
The old man stops with a fright at the sigh of the kobold. The sudden halt sends him falling backwards as he tries to scramble across the ground. His babbling not much more coherent until he manages a few feets distance.
T-th-they took her! They t-t-took my baby girl! Bastards stole my daughter! S-S-something about her entering their lands...BASTARDS TOOK MY DAUGHTER! Someone's gotta help me...gotta get her back...PLEASE SOMEONE!
It would seem this excitement has not done the old man well. He starts to breath with his chest heaving before collapsing to the cobblestones. It is obvious he is still alive and breathing, merely unconscious.

The others in the street begin to murmur and disperse away from his unconscious body. Their faces contorted as if he was carrying a plague, and getting too close would contaminate them. The once bustling area starting to clear out like a flop broadway performance halfway through the second act.

His story and fright seem genuine. There are no obvious signs of danger this far in the village.

Eldariel
2012-10-08, 07:36 PM
Illyvion is slightly shocked and begins to move so as to rush to him, but as the man collapses but as he notices his stable breathing, he stops himself. He seems a bit uncertain about whether to intervene.

He'll stand a bit back, an unmoving silhouette against the wall but if everybody clears away with the man still lying on the ground:
Illyvion half-yells with frustration in his voice: "Can't anybody give him medical attention?"

And proceeds to do what he can for the man:
[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-10-08, 08:45 PM
Judith quickly crosses the road and kneels beside the fallen old man. She eyes the kobold with a hint of suspicion, then examines the man with a trained eye, doing what she can for him.

Heal check that's probably unnecessary : [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 02:15 AM
Willem looks to the vendor and shrugs. "Pardon me... best to go see what all the fuss is about."

He walks up to the fainted man and the priestess and the elf hovering over him, giving him first aid.

"Hm... passed out, eh?" He uncorks his waterskin and hands it to the healer. "Is there anything I can do to help? Perhaps we should get him out of the sun, or I can fetch some smelling sauce from that apothecary over there."

Man on Fire
2012-10-09, 05:43 AM
"why are you looking at me like that? I didn't do anything to him." Baran almost barks at Judith, his voice slighty irritated. "Now quickly, get him back on his feet." He orders her, like he was her boss or something.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-09, 12:11 PM
Judith nods her head and returns to the task at hand. She tucks a strand of honey colored hair behind her ear, and attempts to return the old man to consciousness.

If successful, she gently says, "I am Judith Goodberry, Elder. Who took your daughter, what is her name, and where can we find her?" The healers aura settles around her shoulders and head and sheds faint golden light.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 01:45 PM
Willem shrugs when the healer ignores him and just stands back, observing the events, trusting in the professionals on this one. But he keeps a sharp eye on the antsy kobold. While he takes a swig from the waterskin and corks it, then puts it back on his belt, he eyes the strange markings on the kobold's face with an expression of curiosity, and a vague hint of recognition that he can't quite place.

Man on Fire
2012-10-09, 02:46 PM
"Does it looks funny to you?" Baran asks the man looking at his facial markings and adjusts his face protection to hide them better. "Wanna ones yourself? It hurts when you get them burned in your face. It hurts like seven hells. And you may lose an eye or two if we're not careful. But at least ladies dig it." He speaks apparently nonchalantly, but his voice is full of barerly hold anger.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 04:21 PM
"I know you," Willem replies with a contemplative expression, apparently not noticing the implied threat.

"You must be the dragon hunter. I've heard tales of a dragon-slaying kobold marked with the symbol of the Dragonfire on his face. Strange that a kobold would wish to hunt dragons. I thought your kind served and revered the beasts."

NotScaryBats
2012-10-09, 04:42 PM
"Kobold?" the healer says apologetically, "I apologize for my earlier rudeness, ser. Lizardmen killed my father, and I confess I... Mistook your heritage. Please forgive my poor knowledge of your race." Knowing full well how poor that makes her look, Judith nonetheless confesses her racism.

Azoth
2012-10-09, 04:43 PM
The old man slowly rouses under Judith's touch. He seems a bit groggy at first until he sees the kobold again. That makes him tense as he looks around then back to the good sister. His voice is strained and a bit weak. I...I am sorry. This...this is no place...to burden you with this. If you are Hunters, then we should do this professionally...please...please tell me you are hunters.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-09, 04:50 PM
"At ease, Elder. I am a Hunter, and I will undertake this Mark for you." Judith solemnly responds.

Eldariel
2012-10-09, 09:58 PM
Illyvion ignores the exchange between the other 3, as if such matters were beneath him. After witnessing Judith bring the man back to consciousness, he appears to be visibly relieved.

"A stroke of luck we would happen to be here", Illyvion answers after Judith's introduction. He takes off his hood he'd been hiding behind thus far, revealing his sculpture-like elven facial features and black hair with slight tint of red. "Unless I'm entirely mistaken, and pardon me if I am, this man here is Willem Donassik, a hunter and a scholar of some renown.", he says while bowing slightly at Willem then addressing Willem himself, "I was actually looking forward to meeting you when I heard you'd be in these parts, though I suppose this isn't the time for elaborate discussions interesting though may be. Oh, pardon my manners. I am Illyvion CalmoriŽ, a scholar and a hunter myself."

Finally, he turns to address Baran: "And you, master kobold, based on the earlier..." Illyvion pauses for a bit, as if trying to figure out how to formulate this without offending any present parties "...exchange I would assume this also goes for you?"

inexorabletruth
2012-10-09, 10:05 PM
Willem looks to the old man with renewed interest, and nods his affirmation that he is a hunter.

Man on Fire
2012-10-11, 06:27 AM
"Anybody ever told you you are great at making friends? Because they lied." Baran angirly barks at Willem. For a moment he thinks of beating him up, but decides not to - he won't raise his dragon-hunting army if he'll beat every idiot insulting him, he needs to show he's above such petty things.

"Yeah, I'm a hunter. Dragon Hunter, as somebody had already noticed. I'm the guy who finds dragons enslaving my people, and all the others for that matter, and murder them." He says, then moves a bit towards the old man. "Tell me, did a kobold kidnapped your daughter?" He asks, noticing how tense the man became at the sight of him.

Azoth
2012-10-11, 06:53 AM
The old man begins to shake the weariness from his head as he looks to the group. He was in luck that they were hunters indeed. He leans up to sit and begin to attempt to rise to his feet. No, it wasn't kobolds...though you do look a good bit like the type of creature that actually took her. Gave me a fright you were after me. I am sorry that I made such a fuss over it, but I do feel this is a matter best discussed in private.

With that he looked about and gestured to an approaching carriage driver. If you all would be so kind as to join me, I shall have this driver take us to my home. There we can discuss your contracts and fees for helping me to retrieve my daughter...that is if you interested in helping an old man in his time of need."

For those that decide to join him
The man speaks briefly with the carriage driver before entering the vehicle. He then waits for you to join him inside before allowing the carriage to take off. It takes several turns and twists down the streets before stopping infront of a rather large home...well more of a mansion.

The gate walls are easily a yard thick of solid stone with ornately decorated spikes lining their tops. The walls look smooth as polished wood and easily as tall as three men stacked. The gate is easily recognized as adimantine bars swirled into his family crest. A giant falcon with wings spread wide.

Beyond is a yard perfectly manecured with several blooming trees and bushes. Obvious expensive and needlessly showy. All of this pales to the main house which towers over the gates and is a good 50 yards away from it.

The old man chuckles softly as he says,Home sweet Home... while unlocking the gate and motioning for you to enter the front walk.

Man on Fire
2012-10-11, 08:44 AM
"Hard to refuse, when the curlpit looks like me, ain't it?" Baran says and joins the man.


During the ride and entering the mansion he notices the man doesn't act like he would expect from person whose daughter just got kidnapped. It's suspicious, but he still follows him to listen to whatever he'll have to say.

Sense Motive [roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 11:14 AM
Judith agrees to follow the old man, though she is a bit surprised when he offers to charter a wagon. Her eyebrows raise further when he reveals a well-kept mansion to be his home. Surely, the entire village could take refuge in there?

For the time being, the Healer waits to hear the full story - or at least this man's version of it.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-11, 12:11 PM
Willem turns to Illyvion as he removes his hood. "Master CalmoriŽ. I'm flattered that you recognize me. Your reputation precedes you as well, though mostly by name. Your father is a great man. I've studied many of his writings at the Institute. I should like to meet him some d-"

He stops abruptly as Baran chimes in with his insult, then shrugs, deciding that it's best not to stick his foot in his mouth any further.

Willem doesn't know what to make of this group, or the odd old man, but... any opportunity to research new beasts. Besides, he wasn't getting anywhere haggling with the apothecary.

He climbs gingerly into the carriage, carefully arranging his massive collection of supplies so that it doesn't take up too much space, then sits and enjoys the ride.

Willem continues to grow uneasy as they approach the luxurious manor, but the hairs on the back of his neck bristle and perk when the old man chuckles.

"You seem calm for a man who has just lost his daughter." He hooks a thumb around his belt, keeping it close to his weapon, in case something sinister should reveal itself.

Readied Action: Swing that hammer if the old man turns out to not be what he appears.

Eldariel
2012-10-12, 06:52 AM
"Noble pursuit you have, master Kobold. It would appear we'll be working on the same task shortly; by what name should I address you, should we work together?", Illyvion asks Baran, smiling slightly, after Baran's statement.

Illyvion joins the old man in the wagon; he fully trusts his earlier judgment that the man is indeed in trouble and needing help. As he climbs in, he languidly looks around, noticing the others somewhat tense and ready. Just to dissolve unnecessary tension, he asks the old man in a solemn voice: "Sir, there are no uninvolved ears here in the wagon. You have us at a disadvantage; to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to?"

[roll0] on this man (using a point of Inspiration for the daily +Factotum Level bonus to a skill), modified as appropriate by his introduction. Does Illyvion know him by reputation or in person, and if so, what does he know of him?

Man on Fire
2012-10-12, 09:17 AM
"The name's Baran Dowan." Kobold answers Illyvion.

Azoth
2012-10-12, 07:53 PM
Spoiler for Illyvion
The man is Gomst Ancrath. He is one of if not the richest men in the village, as well as very influential. His wealth and power comes from his owning one of the largest trading caravans in the frontier. It specializes in rare goods and specialty items that other caravans can't seem to ever get a steady supply of. It is also not unheard of for artifacts of the past to appear for trade even if incredibly rarely.


The man turned and plastered a smile on his face. A good attempt made to hide his feelings with pleasantness, but for naught nonetheless. I am sorry, it would seem my manners have escaped me in all this chaos. I am Sir Gomst Ancrath. I do hope you will forgive me, for my rudene... He trailed off at the mention of his demeanor in this situation.

After a moment the old man's eyes steeled and narrow but steady streams of tears began to roll down his cheeks. His voice took on a dangerous edge of sorrow and rage when he next spoke. Sir, it is advised you watch your tongue. I love my daughter, but being the man I am in the position I hold...prolonged outbursts are not a luxury I can afford. They show others where and how to strike me to take me down and ruin not only me, but my house. I must suffer silently, while entrusting my own flesh and blood to strangers ...ask yourself how you would like that? Could you force it down? I think not.

With his rant finished, he shook his head to try and clear it as best he could. His tone softening once again, I am sorry...please let us discuss the task at hand. In the end, it all comes down you either brining her back alive, or proof of her death. For this I will pay you each 5,000 gold pieces. 1,000 up front as a retainer and the rest when you complete the job.

He paused for a moment to let the sum sink in, Before you think me too generous...you must know what it is you face. Atleast a two days ride from here, in the middle of a dense forest lies the remains of a castle. Inside it, is some manner of monster that looks like a man, but is not...of this I assure you. He fancies himself some form of ruler within the world of our enemies...if such a thing exists to their kind. I doubt he will let her go willingly, and he is not the kind to be bought with gold or favors. Do you think you can handle it...or should I look elsewhere?

NotScaryBats
2012-10-12, 09:28 PM
"Was it once a man? Have you spoken with it? What does it want with your daughter? What is her name? Description? How do you know about the castle? Any known associates of the creature?" Sister Judith speaks professionally and without accusation; she is merely trying to learn relevant facts to use against the creature.

Man on Fire
2012-10-13, 06:53 AM
"Describe that guy. What's so strange about him? Why did you mentioned I look like creature who took after your daughter? Does he has some lizardman servant or something? Hope he ain't werelizard or something like that." Baran asks, already calculating what these things could possibly be and what buy for this mission.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-13, 11:51 AM
Willem eases a bit and tries to look contrite. "My apologies, Sir Ancrath. I spend more time amongst the beasts these days than amongst men, and perhaps have lost some degree of social decorum. I will help you find your daughter."

He sees Baran and Sister Judith begin to interview him with questions, so he decides to stand back and listen, rather than overwhelm the beleaguered man. His own questions can wait...

Eldariel
2012-10-13, 02:00 PM
"This is a task I chose to perform when I chose this path. Regardless of circumstances, a king amongst enemies is an enemy worth striking down, and they must learn again they cannot simply take us without reprisal. As the esteemed lady and master have already asked, all we need is all you can tell us of the enemy we face.

For me the decision is already made. I will accompany Sir Donissik and any others who would join us to brave the danger and find out your daughter's fate and help her if it is still within my powers to do so. Day shall come again*", Illyvion says with a solemn expression, conviction strong in his words.

* A statement the referring to strong belief that humanoids will defeat the enemy once and for all and civilization will be restored.

Azoth
2012-10-14, 11:02 PM
Gomst takes a moment to think about the questions asked before heaving a heavy sigh and tenting his fingers just under his lips.
Her name is Ellen. She is a pale thing, and rather fragile. Long auburn hair rolls down her back and she has eyes like a forest. Unfortunately, despite her looks her head is like a flower pot. She is a pretty girl, but well...far from bright, and a good deal stubborn.

I have not spoken with the creature personally, more one of servants caught me in the courtyard and delivered the message that on the night of the new moon he would take her. I hired extra security and tightened the watches, but somehow they slipped through. Some guards were missing, but not even their bodies have been recovered yet. Poor bastards...

I happened to be checking up on her when one of his minions was grabbing her. A hulking beast green like envy and scalier than any serpent I ever saw. I didn't see much before it turned on me, but its eyes were sinister and its maw gaped like it could swallow my head whole.

He shuddered vissibly as a small sweat broke across his brow. Those tented fingers curled into fists that looked like they could bend Adamantine at that moment.

I know about the castle because some of my employees in the caravan have commented on seeing it along a route they take. They don't go near it, but they say it peaks out of the forest like a small mountain. Occassionally, they have reported screams and weird flashes of various color lights shining from within its towers. It would seem that is the closest place to find her. If he is a ruler, then he should be held up in their tighter than a Dwarf's fist around a gold coin.

Man on Fire
2012-10-15, 05:54 AM
"You should have called for Hunters when you were warned." Baran scolds the man. "We'll need somebody to lead us to this castle." He says, then turns to the other three. "Any idea what we're dealing here with?"


Konwledge local [roll0] and Knowledge Nature [roll1] and Knowledge History [roll2] to find out if Baran knows about any creatures fitting the describtion in the history of local lands.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-15, 05:16 PM
Willem pulls out a tattered old journal that he's clearly been scribbling in for years and references his notes, trying to place the creature based on the vague description...

"Scaly, horrifying... wide jaw, perhaps quadrate bones in the skull, then?"

He flips through a series of crude sketches of snakes and serpent like creatures, muttering softly as he skims his notes.

"Tell me... was the thing bipedal? Did it walk upright or did it crawl or slither? Did it have any claws? How tall, or perhaps long, would you say it was? Did it speak, and if so, did you understand its language? Could you perhaps repeat anything it said? Details about this beast could reveal much about where we could find your daughter."

Knowledge:
Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering: [roll1]
Geography: [roll2]
History: [roll3]
Nature: [roll4]

NotScaryBats
2012-10-15, 09:55 PM
"Was the servant that warned you the same type of creature?"

Eldariel
2012-10-16, 11:33 AM
"Oh..." Illyvion sighs. After hearing the description, Illyvion falls silent, seeming lost in thought.
What creature would match the description?
[roll0] (as appropriate; Arcane, Nature, Dungeoneering, Religion and The Planes all have the same bonus)

Azoth
2012-10-17, 07:03 PM
Gomst shakes his head as he listens to them. I know I should have hired Hunters from the beginning, but I had hoped normal soldiers could buy some time to find suitable Hunters. Now...I am paying the price for my naivety.

Taking a few paces he is obviously trying to remember what he can, but his demeanor says it won't be much. I can't remember much about the scaled one. All I know is it was big and reptilian. I was knocked out only a second after seeing it. The other one though, it had skin like ebony and was a gnarled mess of what once might have been a man. It clung to the shadows so deeply, that I barely saw it. Even then what I saw of it...I think it wanted me to see. It was definitely man though. No mistake. I don't what was done to it to make it that way, but it was a man. Its eyes were human to be anything else, even if they were soulless...they were human.

For those who made knowledge checks
The description of the reptilian capture are too vague to pin anything for certain, but a Naga of Yuan-Ti are the most likely

The messenger though is easily identified as a Skulk (Races of Destiny). These humans have been seperated from the surface world for centuries and hate surface dwellers almost as much as the monsters that threaten their homes. They are incredibly gifted at stealth and nocturnal raids and attacks on settlements. Usually employed as assassins for their unique talents.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-17, 10:39 PM
"Hm... perhaps Yuan-Ti and a Skulk... would you agree, Illyvion? If so, we are dealing with cunning and deadly foes. We should be prepared to defend ourselves against against daggers in the dark, as well as powerful magic."
Willem closes his notebook and scratches his beard, while studying the impressions of his new comrades.

Eldariel
2012-10-18, 07:58 AM
"That would be my assessment too, Willem. Skulk is really the only thing that would hate humans enough to work on the side of the enemy, and still look like one.

Regarding the humanoid reptilian though, I'm not entirely certain though. Probably not a trogdolyte, but it's hard to tell between a naga and a yuan-ti with just this. Though either way, you're definitely right: whatever it is, it is cunning, cruel and resourceful. We should probably stack up on anti-venoms, and expect a spell or two. I would assume stealth will be their primary weapon."

Illyvion's expression shifts into a slight grin: "Though two can play that game. I'll give any skulk a run for his money!"

Man on Fire
2012-10-18, 08:02 AM
"Yeah, sounds like snake guys. We'll need something against posions too, where Yuan-ti are, there are Tainted Ones." Baran says, despite Willem not asking him. "we'll need to prepare. Yo'll, of course, pay for it in addition to our reward." He says to their employer. It's good to be clear about those things.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-19, 12:32 PM
Willem shares Illyvion's mirth for a moment, then nods at both Illyvion's and Baran's assessments, turning a curious eye to their employer after Baran's last question.

Eldariel
2012-10-19, 02:14 PM
"Lady...Judith, was it? You are a healer, right? What kinds of defenses against poison do we have access to should you accompany us?"

Azoth
2012-10-19, 04:47 PM
Gomst's eyes narrow on Baran at the mention of further expenses. His merchant's heart was ready to strangle the dog lizard at the thought. You can buy provisions out of your retainer fees. This is why you get some of your money upfront. If you weren't Hunter's there is no way I would let several thousand gold out of my sight so easily. Most people could retire on that sum alone, but most of your lot spend it faster than a sailor on shore leave.

With that he waved a hand and four chests were rolled out to them. Very plain and unassuming indeed. If you were expecting extravagence...guess again. Go ahead and open them. You can count for yourselves your fee. With luck the shops will be able to handle your business and help get you started on your journey.

When you open your chests, you see each is holding 100 coins, but the metal catches your eye. It is Platinum. Your thousand gold retainer has been provided in a rather easier to carry, but slightly harder to spend fashion.

Man on Fire
2012-10-19, 08:00 PM
"I like making business with you." Baran smiles, almost like he was mocking the man. Almost. "Now that we have our pocket money, how about a little shopping, gang?" He says to other hunters, taking his share of the cash. "Meanwhile you can find or guide, daddy." He says to Gomst, smiling wildly, in mysterious way.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-19, 08:35 PM
"I believe we can handle it without a guide," Judith says quietly, "and as for what I can do against poison, I can render a body temporarily immune to it, and repair a body from some of its effects, depending on the type of poison."

She will buy two doses of antivenom, Then, she's ready to go.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-19, 11:07 PM
"Sir," he interjects as soon as Baran finishes talking, "you are most generous. Thank you for choosing us for this mission. I think I speak for all of us when I say we will not fail you."

Diplomacy Check (to smooth some possibly ruffled feathers): [roll0]

He looks to Baran and smiles. Then to sister Judith and nods. "Quite true. We wouldn't be very good hunters if we needed assistance to hunt. Besides, it would appear that we are all in skillful company. And your powers are quite impressive, Sister Judith. It is rare that I come across competent casters these days. Would you like to accompany me to the apothecary? He drives a hard bargain, and a professional in the field may help me get a fair deal. Is anyone else coming along? I think I'd like to buy some antitoxins, and perhaps some Torch Bug Paste, if they have some. "

NotScaryBats
2012-10-20, 04:10 AM
Sister Judith smiles, "You are too kind. Of course I will accompany you to the apothecary. Some Antitoxin would aid us greatly against enemies that use poison."

Eldariel
2012-10-20, 06:58 AM
Illyvion nods at Judith, "That should help. Glad to have you along."

He smiles a bit as it seems Willem sorts out the whole clash of egos that had been going on since the start. "Alright, I too shall be joining you. I need to stock up anyways."

He briefly turns to Gomst for the moment. "Sir Gomst, we will either bring your daughter back alive or let you know her fate." emphasizing the word "will". "And we'll make the creatures behind this pay."


Illyvion purchases two Antitoxins and then ten Alchemist's Fires provided they're available.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-20, 12:54 PM
"Very well," he says with a happy smile. "Mr. Dowan, if you'd like to join us, that would certainly help to keep the group organized, and we can discuss strategies along the way. If not, would you be so kind as to procure us some horses and meet us at the gate in half an hour, so there may be no more delays? Master Ancrath has indicated that we are a two day ride from the forest where the castle dwells. I should like to get there as swiftly as possible."

@DM:
Is the location/name of this forest common knowledge? I'm operating off that assumption. If not, then I'd like to ask Gomst which direction the forest lie, before I head to the apothecary. If he doesn't know either:

Geography: [roll0]

On the way to the apothecary, Willem takes some time to confer with his new teammates and get a feel for their intentions.

"I'm not as good with people as I used to be. Too much time spent out in the woods, I'm afraid, or locked up at the institute with a nose in a book. Tell me, what are your impressions of the man and this situation. He's a man of obvious wealth and influence. It this were a ransom, he could've paid it already. Skulks and Yuan-Ti... I don't know what to make of it. Based on the archetypes of the species, we could be talking about a ritual sacrifice. But why such a high profile target? Surely they'd know that he would have the resources to hire people to retaliate. Taking the daughter of a poor man, or snatching an orphan, criminal, or even a... lady of ill-repute... might've gone unnoticed by the town guard. Not that I would've preferred them to kidnap anyone else. It just seems like whoever wanted this done has intentionally made a theatrical display of it."

He scratches his beard thoughtfully as he contemplates the implications. Then, just as if he hadn't said a word until then, his face suddenly brightens. "Ah, at last! Our wily apothecary."

"Sir, I have brought with me an authority on healing and curative agents. Perhaps you'd like to reconsider your price on the items I require, and I may be able to convince my friends to purchase additional items as well."

Azoth
2012-10-20, 04:20 PM
Gomst's eyes narrowed at Baran. He was tempted to hire someone to deal with the mouthy Kobold, but that could wait until he got his daughter back. Right when he was about to tell our little friend where he could go Willem interrupted him and brought him back to his senses.

Good hunting. I hope return safely with my daughter. May speed and protection find you well.

If you find any items you are unsure of the availability for, or that may be obscure, please feel free to ask me about me about them in the OOC

Man on Fire
2012-10-20, 08:59 PM
"It's a statement. They want to tell us "We can kidnapp daughter of richest guy around and acrifice her or turn into Broodguard of whatever we feel like and there is nothing you can do about it. At least that's my bet." Baran answers Williem.

"I'll need only two or three antitoxins" He tells the guy at the shop.

Eldariel
2012-10-20, 09:58 PM
"Their purpose, it is an intriguing question to be certain. Looking at the facts, we're talking about only a single person being kidnapped, a witness being left alive, a target at a fairly high ranking and the captors are creatures known for intelligence and cruelty.

It could certainly be a target chosen at random; somebody who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. But for a skulk and a naga that seems rather uncharacteristic; ritual sacrifice could make sense but really, there's no need for a specific target on that level. Statement? Certainly plausible, but they've kinda made that statement plenty of times. It also seems too...hollow; that is, they can do more with the same effort. If the skulk were working alone this might make sense, but I'm thinking that is a red herring.

Now, this guess would be a derivative theory of the "statement"-idea from a strategic point of view. If a ritual sacrifice or making a statement is the red herring, what's the goal hidden underneath it? Logically, it should be a trap. A way to lure out strong people living in the villages to remove the strong points of the village's defenses thus making it easier to eradicate yet another one. Twice so much as mr. Gomst wasn't killed but only knocked unconscious. He's reliable enough of course but leaving him alive could make him serve as a convenient messenger without needing to arouse our suspicions unnecessarily. After all, our extinction has more or less been their goal for the last thousand years so I think the only rational root cause we should start our research from is something aimed at that."

Illyvion falls silent with a grim look on his face.

Azoth
2012-10-22, 08:35 PM
It takes a bit of time to find supplies and haggle with the shop keepers. They aren't the most well stocked currently since supply caravan deliveries aren't due for a few more days. You still manage to find all that you saught in only an hour or so before making your way to the horse stables.

There you are met by a barrel of a dwarf. Nearly as broad and round as he is tall. The stanch of horses is laid deep in clothes and flesh. He is currently holding the leg of a mountain of a horse. It is easily twice his height and looks meaner than a Nightmare, but it doesn't seem willing to even twitch as the dwarf is hammering new shoes on it. Driving the nails in place with a single blow of his hammer.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-22, 09:43 PM
"Greetings!" Willem says in his most cheery voice. "If you're the stablemaster here, we wish to purchase or rent some horses. We may also need some feed and treats, if you sell those as well."

Eldariel
2012-10-23, 04:30 PM
Illyvion hovers slightly behind merely observing things for now.

[roll0] on the stablemaster.

Man on Fire
2012-10-24, 12:04 PM
"Daddy can I have a pony? I always wanted a pony." Baran mockingly imperonates human child's voice. "You guys do have anything for small guy like me, right?"

NotScaryBats
2012-10-24, 01:25 PM
Judith purchases a light warhorse, if available. If not, a light horse will do. Her background in the military makes her used to handling animals and riding horses, and she easily picks a useful mount and suits it up with its tack with practiced motions. She offers her services to her companions, if they don't know what they're doing.

"Have you all ridden before? I can offer you some pointers, if you need it," she says calmly.

My Marshal Aura, Motivate Dexterity, gives a +3 circumstance bonus to all Dex checks, dex based skill checks, and initiative to myself and all allies within 60 feet.

Ride being a dex based skill check, you all get +3 to your Ride checks while within 60 feet of me, as I offer you advice and the like.

Should it come up, Judith's Handle Animal and Ride checks are +7.

Azoth
2012-10-24, 04:55 PM
For Eldar
The horse master is Vahanian Ironfist. Most aren't sure if it is a family name or a nickname given his unbudging nature when it comes to the quality and prices of his goods. He is known for raising horses that are far stronger than most, and possess near endless stamina...even if they are stubborn and a bit unruly. It is said that his horses are as strong as warhorses, and his warhorses easily outdo their peers. (Light horses have the stats of light warhorses, heavy horses have the stats of heavy warhorses.)

The horse master looks to Baran at his comments and drives in the last nail with added oomph causing the horse to try and kick only to have its leg barely move for its efforts.
I dun think that horses grow small enough for gekos ta ride 'em. Supposin ya could straddle a cat and get by fine enough.

He sets the horse's leg down and dusts his hands off on his apron before looking to Willem. I got anything you need when it comes ta horses an their ilk. If ya can be payin for the lot upfront in coin, I can give ya 'em with saddle and bits for oh...say about...800 gold coins. Feed and the like will be a weeks worth for the price of five days. That is my best offer.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-24, 05:33 PM
that's 800 gp for all of us?

"Yes, ser, we do have the coin up front. For these quality animals, I'm only too happy to do business with you," Sister Judith says, very pleased with the horse she has chosen. She will pay 200 gp, assuming a four way split of money.

Man on Fire
2012-10-24, 05:44 PM
"What is with you stablemasters? Last time I tried to buy a ride they offered me a wiener dog!" Baran says annoyed. "Yeah, I'll hitch a ride with one of you." He tells his companions.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-25, 09:58 PM
Willem considers the offer...

"Are they trained? And if so, what tricks do they know? Can I expect them to handle battle well? 800 a piece is a lofty price. I could get a fully trained warhorse with saddle and gear for half the price you've just offered."

Azoth
2012-10-26, 01:34 PM
The stablemaster looks to Willen and taps his hammer against his head. Ya a bit of a daft one...ain'tcha. 800 for the lot of 'em...not a piece. Ya know a horse a piece...well pony fer the overgrown lizard if'n he can climb up on it. I should add an extra 10 gold everytime someone says something stupid ta me...be richer than Gomst that way.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-28, 01:17 PM
"In that case, I'll take one trained for combat riding, please, if you have one." He begins to count out some coins for his share of the expenses. "And some high energy feed please. We'll be covering a great distance, and I'd like to cover it quickly."

Man on Fire
2012-10-28, 04:47 PM
"You know what? I have enough of your bull****." Baran steps towards stablemaster. "I'm trying to be nice, I throw joke or two. But I just want to buy a pony. yet you, for some reason, threat me with nothing but open contempt just because I'm a kobold, even calling me an overgrown lizard." He now stand in front of the dwarf, looking him straing in the eyes. "I did nothing to deserve such treatment from racist prick like you. So either we'll take this outside or I want you to know your damn role and shut your damn mouth." He looks the stablemaster right in the eyes, with calm, but proud look on his face.

Azoth
2012-10-29, 01:57 AM
Vahanian chuckles to Baran. Know my role...I raise horses and sell 'em. Frankly, I don't care who you are if ya have coins, but threatening me isn't somethin I take kindly to. So ya can pay an extra 50 gold as an apology, or get the hell out and puy your little pony else where. Either way makes no nevermind me little one, but good luck keeping up with your friends on someone else's horse. So what is it gonna be?

Man on Fire
2012-10-29, 05:48 AM
"Well I don't like being called overgrown lizard or being told to ride a cat. And quite frankly, as far as I'm concerned, you try to provoke me." Baran don't back down to the dwarf. " And I didn't threatened you either. I just offered we'll solve our differences like two civilized people, that is, with our fists. So how about you give me 50 gold discount as an apology and I will be nice enough to not spend following years telling every person I'll help, every villager I'll save, every rich I'll protect, every traveller I'll escort, every child I'll pat on the head to not buy from you? You think your little stable can take such blow to reputation?"

Roll to intimidate [roll0]
Sorry guys if I'm dragging this a bit

Azoth
2012-10-29, 11:01 AM
Vahanian chuckles as he looks to Baran. I am not worried. Anyone worth doing business with here knows me and my horses. I do more than fine enough ta not have ta worry much. Though if I got more riled up than when ya waitin fer ya tail ta grow back...go ahead an swing. Won't a been the first ta try, nor the last ta do it. Just remember ma prices...and my mood. Could go up if ya embarrass ya self or keep wastin ma time.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-29, 12:33 PM
Willem looks to the rest of the group with a pleading expression. "The thing I like about animals over humanoids... they bite less."

He looks back to the situation between the kobold and dwarf, uncertain as to how to proceed.

"Master dwarf, we're in a terrible rush, and I'm sure you're busy as well. We're on a personal errand for Sir Gomst Ancrath, and need horses to complete our journey expeditiously. I'm sure that his gratitude and growing rapport towards you, your services and the fine steeds you provide can help spread the name of your stable far and wide, since he is a man of rather notable influence."

He holds out his bag of coins, and starts counting out the platinum. "800 four ways is 200 a piece, but Baran is riding a pony. So, if we each pay 228 a piece, that leaves Baran to pay 116. A fair price, provided Master Vahanian provides Mister Dowan with a combat worthy warpony and saddle, wouldn't you all agree?"

Rollin':
Bluff to deliver a silent plea for help to the rest of the group:
[roll0] vs. Sense Motive

Diplomacy to Vahanian and Baran to try to calm the situation:
[roll1] vs. Vahanian
[roll2] vs. Baran
Any bonuses for name dropping and showing money? Any bonuses for using honorifics?

Diplomacy to get Baran a warpony for the asking price.
[roll3] vs. Vahanian

NotScaryBats
2012-10-29, 11:40 PM
"Yes, that suits me fine," Sister Judith says sedately.

Eldariel
2012-10-30, 09:45 AM
"This is ridiculous!" Illyvion yells, sound of thunder crackling in the background emphasizing his words.

Spot DC 26
Illyvion cast a spell using Concealed Casting.

Spellcraft DC 15
Ghost Sound cast.
Intimidate - (1d20+5)[13]:
"We live surrounded by enemies, we're in a hurry to save a lass captured by some demi-humanoid scum and you find this the right time to start solving personal differences?!"

Diplomacy - (1d20+5)[10]:
"Master Vahanian, we are indeed in a hurry. We need Master Baran", Illyvion says gesturing at the kobold, "with us to save a young lady's life. Let this slide for now, you two, and let's take care of the more important matters first. You two will have plenty of time to deal with whatever personal differences you have later. Nobody is paying extra, here's my 20 platinum for my horse. I request nobody waste time with this nonsense anymore." Illyvion finishes, emphasizing the last words with some more crackling of thunder from behind him. He throws a small bag of gold with exactly 20 platinum at Vahanian.
Rolls in the OOC thread, rolled beforehand since the Sleight of Hand determines the Spot DC and it was just awkward to write the post without knowing it.

3 Inspiration points expended, one for each skill check (daily Intimidate, Diplomacy, Sleight of Hand boosts expended).

Azoth
2012-11-02, 09:40 PM
Vahanian jumps slightly at the sound of the thunderclap. His head whipping to the otherwise quiet man. What manner of demon was this lad?

Turning to look at the others he hefted a sigh and swiped up the coins from it. His other hand extended out towards Baran, Just missing yer coins and we can be free o' eachother.

Without turning he bellows behind him for a stable hand to fetch and saddle the horses for them. He was ready to have Illyvion be out of his shop so he could regain his nerve. Doesn't bode well for a dwarf ro be scared in nis own shop. Not one bit.

Man on Fire
2012-11-03, 06:06 AM
"That's more that I would ever want right now." Baran grupes, but he hands off the coins to the dwarf.

Azoth
2012-11-03, 03:25 PM
You get the horses and Baran's pony without further instances and saddle up for your journey. It will be a long treck through the woods especially without a guide. You have lost much of the morning light already and are taking off with the sun already to your back.

The woods loom ominously before you. Danger hidden behind every turn, and monsters craving human flesh await a meal from any who dare to enter their domain. Light may keep some at bay, but with darkness quickly approaching they begin to stir. You can already hear the sounds of battle and death eminating from deep within the wilds. A final warning to the races of man to retreat back to the safety of their homes.

It seems as if the woods are even more restless than normal to those that have spent time in the area. Something causing the beasts within to attack more feverently and maliciously than normal. Howls and groans echo off the trees as screams of death and pain pierce through clearly.

There will be no peace or safety found within. Only pain and death.

NotScaryBats
2012-11-04, 01:31 AM
Sister Judith grits her teeth and turns to her companions, "do you know these woods well enough to guide us to specific rest stops, or are we traveling blind?"

I suggest we go 'til nightfall and hole up someplace defensible, if possible.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-04, 02:56 PM
"A good survivalist is only as lost as he wishes to be." Willem says coyly. Then chuckles and winks as he follows up with "Though I often do prefer to be lost."

He looks at his notes and various maps, then peers into the sky to orient himself. "Let me see..."

To figure out where we are and how to get where we're going:
Knowledge (Geography): [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Man on Fire
2012-11-05, 06:18 PM
"I'm just gonna sit here and remind you that we were supposed to go back to our contract for the guide I asked for." Baran grupes riding in the back on his pony.

Eldariel
2012-11-05, 06:44 PM
"Pardon all the trouble, Master Vahamian!" Illyvion quips as they leave with the horses, dismissing the spell after the little incident is solved.


Outside the town:
"Ah, do you have maps of the area, Willem? Care to let me see too?"

Provided it's agreed, Illyvion will help Willem plot the travel route:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

After the direction is figured out, Illyvion arms himself, a large combat scythe somehow appearing from underneath his robe, which he holds in one hand while riding.
Pull the scythe out of Heward's Handy Haversack.
Illyvion's Ride modifier is +5 so he automatically succeeds at steering with legs.

Azoth
2012-11-06, 04:01 PM
After a few minutes you find yourselves at the southermost edge of the forest on the maps. Taking the trade trail about a mile to the east on the map will let you skirt most of the forest by looping around it, but will take considerably longer than the trail you are on. This trail cuts through the hear of forest for about half your journey the splinters off into several other trails leading to various end of the forest. There are a few smaller paths denoted on the map that can lead towards the castle but none run straight to it. Considering the time spent since anyone actively mapped the forest these trails could be over run with growth or blocked by creature settlements. None of it is certain, but gives you a good general path to plot by. All in all, the dangerous path will save you considerable time if it is accurate, but the safe path is better documented if taking longer.

NotScaryBats
2012-11-06, 04:18 PM
"Time is of the essence; do you think we will save time with the shortcut, or should we stick to the certain path? For what it's worth, I would favor the known path, rather than possibly waste time chasing old routes and uncertain paths - but I shall leave the ultimate decision to the experts."

Man on Fire
2012-11-07, 04:43 AM
"If they wanted to do anything to the girl, they did so already." Baran points out. "I say we play it safe and go normal route."

inexorabletruth
2012-11-08, 11:50 AM
Willem's eyes sparkle at the promise of adventure to be found in the woods. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both..." His expression is both inscrutable and ambivalent as he tugs at his beard.

"It is probably the wiser choice to take the safe way around. It is my belief that we four possess the talent to save the time on the quicker path, but my opinion is tainted by my lust for roads untravelled..."

He alternates pointing at one road then at another while muttering a children's poem under his breath. His face droops into one of minor disappointment as his pointer finger stops on the safe road at the end of his poem. "I... I suppose my vote is for the safer route."

Eldariel
2012-11-08, 12:19 PM
"My kind once called the woods home. I do not fear them nor what lurks within. This group possesses the competence to navigate the path with ease and we can deal with what we face. Any time spent in the wilderness is dangerous; the fastest route may well be the safest.

I don't think we know enough to spend any more time than necessary; how long will our enemies keep the lass alive? Will our enemies stay at the castle or move on? Will the trail grow cold?" Illyvion says with slight worry in his voice.

He sighs. "My vote is for the fast route. It seems to mesh with our goals the best. That said, that's three against one. Assuming none of you are swayed, that stands as our decision. So how is it? Either way, we should depart at once."

NotScaryBats
2012-11-08, 05:21 PM
"Could we not push the horses harder on a smooth, wide road? I still think we serve the girl better by taking the certain choice." Sister Judith considers the other option, then shakes her head, believing the safe route is best in this instance.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-11, 03:09 PM
Never a fond friend of squabbling, Willem turns his horse toward the safer path. "It is decided then. The majority wants the safer road, so the safer road we should take. But let us depart at once, as Illyvion has suggested. If we are to take the longer path, then we should be on it quickly. A child waits to be rescued."

With that he kicks his heels and shouts "HA!" and the horse gallops off toward the safer path. "So many wonders..." he sighs under his breath as he thinks about the possibilities the woods present. Not willing to show his disappointment at taking the safer road, however, he doesn't hazard looking back to see if the group follows, lest they see it on his face.

Eldariel
2012-11-11, 03:14 PM
"Very well then. Let us hope we won't be too late." Illyvion bows slightly, throws his hood back on, jumps on his horse and mounts his horse.

Azoth
2012-11-11, 06:05 PM
The group travels for several hors in rather uniterupted peace. Thw wind blows a gentle breeze that is tainted with the smell of rot and blood, but is otherwise pleasant enough. As the sun begins to make its way towards the horizon and the sky darkensm the pleasant breeze begins to grow unusually cold. The kind of cold where even the faintest breath shows as a puff of steam. Definitely out of the norm for this time of year.

As you see a bend up ahead you notice the chill is getting worse the closer you draw to it.

I need spot checks with your next posts

Eldariel
2012-11-11, 06:59 PM
The unusual coldness immediately makes Illyvion wary: "...undead, elementals or black magic. On your guard!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

NotScaryBats
2012-11-12, 02:12 AM
spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]
If initiative is rolled, everyone remember that I add +3 to initiative to all of you within 60 feet.

Man on Fire
2012-11-12, 07:03 AM
Spot [roll0], Listen [roll1]

Baran readies his crossbow.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-12, 06:48 PM
Willem pulls his cowl low shivers a bit. His eyes narrow with Illyvion's proclamation.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Knowledge Nature: [roll2]

(to see if there's a scientific answer for this seemingly magical shift in temperature)
Knowledge Arcana: [roll3]

(looking for ancient myseteries, arcane symbols, or indications of the presence of magic beasts)
Spellcraft: [roll4]

(to identify a spell that's already in place: DC 20+ Spell Level)

Azoth
2012-11-12, 08:02 PM
Baran and Illyvion
You both notice that patches of grass and small portions of tree bark are frozen while larger areas around them have faint moisture marks like a morning due or mist. As if they were frozen recently and melted. Areas around them show no similar signs as if only certain patches were frozen.

As the party continues to advance you all see signs of a struggle. Blood and torn patches of ground litter the clearing you are approaching. No body parts or dead are in view, but from the looks of it this is a fresh kill zone. The air is eerie and still. No sounds carry on the wind. Not even the faintest sounds of wildlife.

Eldariel
2012-11-13, 10:34 AM
"Look...", Illyvion whispers pointing at the frosted treebarks, a bit shaken by the scene. "I do not know what transpired here, but such frosting and fast melting is probably from a cold aura or breath. I don't suppose anybody has any kind of tools against that available?"

inexorabletruth
2012-11-13, 06:17 PM
Willem is drawing a blank, but that does nothing to shake him. In fact it only makes him more excited.

"It depends on the size of the thing we are hunting," he says to Illyvion. He dismounts and readies his bow, knocking a blunt arrow.

Focusing his essentia, Incarnum forms in a blue-white helm resembling the bizarre and horrifying head of the frost worm, which fuses to his skull and spreads downward. His face contorts and shifts into the monstrous head of the frost worm and his eyes melt away until they turn into a garish nodule on top of his head. His cheeks grow thick and lumpy and his face flushes into a sickly blueish-white tone. Large mandibles open and close where his mouth used to be.

Willem puts a finger to his... mouth and makes a chitinous sound similar to a "shhhh" then gives the "ok" sign to signify that this weird change was on purpose.

Better armed for the impending threat, Willem stalks in using what cover he can find to get the jump on his enticing prey.

Rolls and Relevant Notes:
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

Soulmeld: Frost Helm (MoI, pg. 67)
Chakra Bind: Totem
Essentia Invested: 2 points

Willem and his equipment can now can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 90 Fahrenheit. Willem also gains Resist 10 vs. Cold Damage and gains a Trill attack similar to the Frost Worm's Trill (MM1, pg. 112) but with only a 20 foot range and it can only target 2 creatures.

Man on Fire
2012-11-14, 03:38 AM
"Something against cold? Yeah, I have a hing or two."

NotScaryBats
2012-11-14, 06:50 PM
Judith shrugs, and takes out her bow. "If the danger has come and gone - perhaps we'd better do the same?" she suggests quietly.

Eldariel
2012-11-14, 07:53 PM
"We have no way of knowing it's gone. I have learned to always expect the worst..." Illyvion's voice fades off a bit. With a small break, he starts again: "But agreed, let us keep moving. This thing is not our game today if it does not force us."

Azoth
2012-11-22, 01:36 AM
As the group is discussing pressing onwards, the bushes begin to shake for a moment then tiny shards of ice seem to fly out from the rear. The grey hide of a large beast is visible just barely off the path. It seems content to start this fight.

Going to assume Baran is at the back of the party since riding order wasn't specified. If someone else would

I need a DC 16 Ref save for half damage unless you have evasion..

Damage is [roll0] Cold.

Eldariel
2012-11-25, 02:52 AM
Illyvion rides to the side of the road and stands ready to cast a spell.
[Draconic]
"Once it moves I'm creating illusionary darkness around it! You can see through it if you put your mind to it."
Mechanics:
Move Action: Move to the side of the road.
Standard Action: Ready action.
Condition: Enemy comes in sight.
Effect: Cast Silent Image on the enemy creating illusionary darkness around it. I have 8 10' cubes to use so unless the enemy is over 10' high, I'll create darkness in the following way (E stands for the enemy, the empty square is towards the forest from whence it came):

##
#E#
###

Will Save DC is 16, I'd assume it acts as blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded) if all it can see to every direction is darkness.

Teammates who speak Draconic should need a will-save for it too but at +4 since they've been told it's only an illusion.

Man on Fire
2012-11-25, 05:52 AM
"Oh what the hell?!" Barran expresses his annoyance at both being hit by the ice and then having to deal with illusion of darkness around his eyes.


Baran speaks draconic. He is a kobold, you know? So [roll0]


No matter what happens, Baran runs towards the beast (or general direction he thinks it if if that stupid illusion won't go away) and takes a deep breath. And then his throat unleashes the flame, in all it's power and glory.


Breath attack, 15-ft cone form, deals fire damage [roll1] (that's ranged attack, right?)
damage [roll2]

If the guy counts a having concealment, I roll again [roll3], because of a Murky-Eyed flaw. I think it counts in situation like that at least.

Azoth
2012-11-26, 05:05 AM
Baran comes face to face with a large wolf. The fur around its mouth matted in frozen shards of ice and blood. When he launches his breath at it the beast goes to move seeing its fur singed and it looks rather hungry and now angry. It lurches forward its powerful jaws looking to take a bite out its new found prey and rip it to the ground.



Reflex save DC 15: [roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3] cold
Trip Attempt if attack hits against: [roll4]

NotScaryBats
2012-11-26, 12:56 PM
Seeing the beast for only a moment before the darkness explodes around it, Judith is not confident that she can land a shot with her bow. Instead, she takes the time to weave some bardic music, enhancing her allies' combat abilities with a rousing song.

activate inspire courage for +1 to saves, attacks and damage rolls with weapons.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-26, 08:34 PM
Expelling air from his nodule, Willem emits a high pitched trill that pierces the air like an amplified bird call towards the wolf.

Rolls:
Trill: Stun [roll0] rounds.
Will Save Negates: DC 13
Cunning Defense vs. Wolf: AC 25

Knowledge (Arcane): [roll1]
Do I recognize this type of wolf? Is it a magical beast?
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): [roll2]
Or perhaps it's an aberration?

If I stun it:
Willem wades in cautiously, readying his net.

Move: To within 10' of it.
Free with Move: Draw Net

If I don't stun it:
Willem quickly draws his bow and nocks a glass arrow with (if my knowledge check reveals that he's a typically tough creature) Vapid Leaf Extract or (if my knowledge check reveals that he's a typically weak creature) Alfornia Poison.

Move: (Hide again, -10 to Hide, -20 if my Trill ability counts as an attack.)
Max movement per guidelines in PHB, pg. 76 is 2 feet.
Cunning Knowledge, +3 to Hide
Hide: [roll3]
Free with Move: Draw bow, nock arrow

Just FYI to the DM:
Alforna Poison Injury DC 11, 1d2 STR/Fatigue
Vapid Leaf Extract Injury DC 16, Dazed (Euphoric)/2d6 INT

Vapid Leaf Extract is crazy expensive. If he knows this particular breed of wolf is manageable without pulling out the big guns, he's not going to waste the good stuff. But if he believes this wolf is a serious threat, he's going to try his best to immobilize it until he can get a leash and muzzle on it, which means he's whipping out the VLE. I figure since Knowledge Checks don't take any IC time, he's selecting his arrow based on what he knows about his enemy.

Willem has a leash and muzzle, btw.

Eldariel
2012-11-27, 06:32 PM
Seeing the wolf go unconscious, Illyvion dismisses the illusion and merely observes as Willem goes about his business.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-29, 11:07 AM
Willem places the net on the wolf to hold him in case he comes lose from the effects early, then rummages into his pack for his leash and muzzle.

"Easy. I'm not going to hurt you, buddy, but I can't have you biting or freezing my friends, now can I? Just hold still."

As he puts on the muzzle. He chances a quick glance around. "On your guard, friends. This beauty is a winter wolf and they rarely travel alone. We got lucky, but I don't hold much hope for our survival if there is a pack nearby, unless we can negotiate some mutually amicable deal with them. In the meantime..."

He finishes strapping on the muzzle and looks up at Judith with a satisfied grin, "I got you that guide you wanted... when I can trust that he'll talk without freezing us to death."

NotScaryBats
2012-11-29, 04:12 PM
"It... can talk?" Judith says skeptically, eyeing the wolf warily. "Was anyone hurt?"

Did anyone take damage?

Eldariel
2012-11-29, 11:42 PM
"Everything can talk. You just have to know the language." Illyvion says wearing a knowing smile.

"While I feel a bit chilled, I avoided worst of the blast. I'd rather you save your power for when the need is greater; this is promising to be a lengthy day."

inexorabletruth
2012-11-30, 10:23 AM
"Conveniently," Willem announces. "Winter wolves speak Common... when they're inclined to speak. They can be a bit surly... not the best of company, really. Still, this is a rare and beautiful find, and I'm sure the Institute will be thrilled to give this guy a good home." He says as he pats the wolf on the neck. "In the meantime, I suppose he could travel with us. At least until we get Ancrath's daughter back alive, anyway. It couldn't hurt to have an able tracker with us, as long as he's properly motivated to aid us."

"What do you say? Will you cooperate if we agree not to harm you?" He asks pointedly to the Winter Wolf. Without really waiting for an answer, so as not to risk getting in a fight with a pack of winter wolves, he tugs on the leash to get the wolf moving.

Man on Fire
2012-12-02, 01:31 PM
"Do what you want, but once this guy gets butchered by Yuan-Ti, don't come to me crying." Baran grumpes.

Azoth
2012-12-02, 06:14 PM
The wolf comes out of its daze as the muzzle is tugged. He swats a paw at it in an attempt to knock it from his face. When that doesn't work it lets loose a growl through its confined muzzle. If only it could open its mouth it would show William what it thought of his treatment. Still, it doesn't mean he has to go willingly. The Winter wolf simply stands there against the tug. He isn't some lap dog or servant. He won't go easily.

If you want to try and force the winter wolf to move (via dragging him) make a str check.

Man on Fire
2012-12-03, 06:08 AM
"For crying out loud! We don't have time for that!" baran yells and throws a small breath of fire right into the ground under wolf's feet.
"He speaks common? Okay, listen you flea-infester hairy ball." He turns to the wolf. "You move or" He lets a bit of smoke flow from his mouth, as he speaks slowly, o every word get deeply into animal's head. "or papa spanks."


Handle animal [roll0]
If I can get synergy from intimidate, then [roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-12-03, 12:54 PM
Willem, disappointed with the winter wolf's display, but understanding its indignity tries to issue a stern gaze to match Baran's.

"I don't think you understand your situation. By putting that muzzle on you, I've saved your life. If I can be given reason to trust you, I might even be able to remove that muzzle in the near future. However, I'm sure most of my comrades, especially my fire breathing friend here, would prefer to just kill you and sell your hide to the highest bidder. What I offer you, is a chance, at least."

Aid Another (Baran's Intimidate): [roll0]

Not sure if Intimidate is right, since I'm trying to use reason. But there is an implied threat there. Just in case it's a Dip check:

Diplomacy: [roll1]

In the faint hope that Handle Animal applies here: [roll2] (+1 from MW Leash and Muzzle)

Azoth
2012-12-05, 10:22 PM
The winterwolf moves as far from the fire as the leash will allow. His eyes looking more malevolent than before. A pitched glare set on Barim as if to say "You die first". Still, he seems to begrudgingly move towards William. Obviously displeased with his situation.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-06, 05:22 AM
"Right. Well, perhaps we should get a move on, then." Willem says, taking the likely narrow window of opportunity of cooperation and mutual understanding between fire themed and ice themed adversaries to get the group moving again.

"We have a lot of ground to cover before the sun sets."

Man on Fire
2012-12-06, 06:40 AM
Baran stands the worl's ook and looks back at him like he was daring him, saying "bite me".

Eldariel
2012-12-07, 08:51 AM
"Aye, let us."

NotScaryBats
2012-12-07, 01:39 PM
Judith warily looks at the wolf, but is ready to move on.

Azoth
2012-12-07, 11:43 PM
Your party manages to cover a good bit more distance skirting the forest on the path before the sun begins to dip. Night will be upon you soon, and with it new threats from the forest to your side. You can try to push the horses further, but know they won't make it long into the next day without rest.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-08, 03:08 AM
"We should stop soon. The gods will grant my full powers back with the dawn, so let me heal that wound of yours." Sister Judith offers to heal her wounded ally. She has no magic to protect the campsite, but offers to stand first guard.

I will cast Maximized Cure Light Wounds for 14 HP healed (1d8+CL[3]+Cha[3, from Healing Hands class feature of Hlr 1]).

inexorabletruth
2012-12-08, 12:43 PM
Willem ties up the wolf, then hangs his tree tent as quickly as he can.

"Thank you, Judith. That will give me some time to have a conversation with our new friend here. I should like to reconfirm our understanding of each other before I take the chance of getting some rest. Since I'll likely be awake, I'll take the second watch." He gives the winter wolf another wary look, then unties the leash and guides him to a safe spot away from the camp, about 70 to 100 feet away.

"My name is Willem," he says as he crouches down to eye level with the wolf, but still just out of range of the leash. "It would be nice if I could address you as something other than 'wolf'. If you care to share your name, perhaps we can go on a hunt together. You see," he says as he pulls out a small cup and pours some water into it, then slides it to within range of the leash, "I don't carry food rations. I prefer to live off the land. And I'm positive something as large as you must be hungry after a day's march. With your tracking skills and my bow, we could catch a fair sized buck. More than enough to feed you and my friends tonight."

He lets the wolf consider the offer. "I could go on the hunt without you, but you strike me as the kind who has a little too much pride to rely solely on the strength of others. If you prove yourself on the hunt, I'll take off the muzzle for a bit so you can eat with some dignity."

Whether the wolf goes for it or not, I'm going to need to go hunting.

Survival (From Track, PHB, pg. 101): [roll0]

To find medium sized game. I'd like to come back with a deer or something comparable that would keep the whole group, especially the wolf, well fed, but I don't want to waste resources unnecessarily, so nothing ostentatiously large. I don't want to drag a brown bear back to camp.

If I can't find what I'm looking for then I'll settle for small game:
Survival (DC 10 +2 per ration): [roll1] (+1 is from Animal Call)

Eldariel
2012-12-08, 11:24 PM
"Thank you. I do feel a bit better." Illyvion bows slightly to Judith after she has worked her craft.

Illyvion turns to Willem discussing with the wolf. "You're going hunting? Allow me to accompany you." As if assuming a positive response, Illyvion jumps off his horse.

[roll0]

"Oh, and I only require four hours of peace to myself so I can cover for a slightly longer watch. I'll take the last one."

DM:
Illyvion's expended spell slot won't be recovered without 8 hours of rest but he's not particularly worried about that so he's going to go the night with only the four-hour Elven meditation.

And, I suppose, if nothing happens during his watch he doesn't need to be particularly active anyways so maybe he can recover his slots anyways? I mean, it's not like Elves actually meditate for the full 8 hours when recovering spells.

Man on Fire
2012-12-10, 06:00 AM
Seeing as everybody found something to do, Baran sits alone in a corner and prepares few simple devices to warn them if anybody tries to sneak to them at night. They consist of simple combination of rope and climbing spiders set into the ground and rest hangng from near branch, so if anybody or anything trips or even touches the trap on the ground, hanging part will make a dinstinctive noise. He then tries to set it to be as little visible as possible.


Craft (trapmaking) roll if it's necesary [roll0]
Survival [roll1]

inexorabletruth
2012-12-10, 03:06 PM
Willem nods slightly at Illyvion's offer, but doesn't take his eyes off the wolf until he knows they have an understanding.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Oh marvelous... Willem has to rely on his Wisdom here.

Azoth
2012-12-12, 09:31 AM
The wolf's eyes focus on William. For only a moment do they shift to Illyvion when he approaches. After they are both done speaking their parts his snout begins to move as if testing its range of motion within the muzzle. A moment later, A deep and growling voice emanates from him. Very reminiscent of what the monster that terrorizes children's nightmares must sound like.

It has been a long time since I have found need to speak...let alone to the likes of man. If you must address me by a name, then you may call me Fenrir. As for your hunt, you don't realize one has already begun. The only reason I feel inclined to tell you this, is because servitude for another day is better than a death I can not fight off...at least not in my current state.

As if to explain his meaning to the those he considers simple, the two who can hear him (William and Illyvion), he taps the muzzle with his heavy paw.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-12, 02:11 PM
Willem nods with understanding.

"Fenrir, then. I'll take your threat as a declination of my offer." He stands up and turns to Judith. "Be wary of this one and do not turn your back. Even without his frost breath, he is still formidable. Illyvion and I shall return soon. In the meantime, get no closer to him than 40 feet of the length of his leash."

He turns back to Fenrir. "Perhaps tomorrow then, Fenrir." He kneels down one last time to look directly into Fenrir's eyes. "The death you cannot fight off is not from the force you see before you. The children of men will soon stop running from the spread of beasts and will take arms. Your total destruction will be their goal, and all that will be left of the world you now know will be legend and myth: a fantasy told to the children of the new age to flourish their dreams and foster their nightmares. The only thing that stands in the way of that day, is my school, which seeks a new path that may be beneficial to us all. And that school is where I intend to take you... with or without that muzzle on your snout."

With that, he walks off with Illyvion.

Eldariel
2012-12-12, 10:03 PM
Illyvion responds the Wolf's gaze with a look of indifference.

[Draconic]
"Do you not understand me?"
He makes sure to keep a stable tone so as to not give away the content to those who don't understand.

Provided the wolf doesn't respond or appear to understand ([roll0] if necessary), Illyvion leaves on the hunt. As the two walk on, after outside hearing range from the camp, he turns to Willem.

[Draconic]
"Grandeur language for stories, malapropos for communication. Like the clashing of swords, powerful and graceful, but too brutal for mere talking. I had to confirm we can talk privately if need be, even in Fenrir's presence. Baran also masters the ancient language of the Dragons, so this seems the one we..." Illyvion pauses for a bit, looking for appropriate words. "...shall wield when need be to talk privately. It is unfortunate Judith has had no interest in ancient texts in her life but this is a problem for the far reaches of time."

"I wish to understand: you intend on keeping Fenrir along. How shall we safeguard ourselves against it when we face more adversaries? It is a powerful creature, and our enemies are intelligent; there is danger of something removing the muzzle. Even with the muzzle, if we are in combat it can jump on us if not tied down. Especially the skulk we are hunting worries me. We must take care to not become the hunted, instead. If it stays with us, we must be very careful indeed, if it does not change sides."

inexorabletruth
2012-12-12, 10:31 PM
[Draconic]
"Bringing Fenrir back to the school is my duty. It was my duty even before I took on this task of rescuing a young debutante, my friend. People are dying. They are scattered and afraid. Headmaster Raulnor, my mentor, is overseeing a study of these creatures who have overrun our territories. He believes that a symbiotic coexistence is attainable; that it doesn't have to be us versus them in an ever-escalating struggle for sustenance and territories. But to continue his research, we need specimens like Fenrir to study and learn from."

He continues walking away from Fenrir as they talk, drawing his bow and readying an arrow in the event they come across worthy prey.

[Draconic]
"Fenrir is no doubt dangerous. But, for now at least, I can control him. It is my hope that with time, I won't have to, because he and I will reach a mutual understanding. One day, this misconception that it's the humanoids versus beasts must stop. I should think that an elf, above all the humanoids, would understand that, in spite of the implied risks."

He hushes suddenly and crouches low, then points in the direction of his intended target.

Eldariel
2012-12-12, 11:10 PM
Illyvion nods.

[Draconic]
"So be it then. I am ultimately a keeper of lore; this too can increase our understanding. Your master shall have his specimens."
As Willem marks the target, Illyvion draws the black hood of his robe over his head. It seems like he turns into a black specter with only his silver eyes shining as he disappears into the wilderness with his bow already drawn out as the hunt begins.

Azoth
2012-12-13, 05:08 AM
After William and Illyvion take off to the hunt Fenrir turns to Judith. His eyes no calmer than before, and showing great annoyance. Woman...the men in your company are fools. They think me the one already hunting them. Should they not return before the ones hunting, you stand not a chance without my aid...just as I, unfortunately, do not stand one without yours. So the question I have to ask you is simple: Would you rather face a certain death, or rely on one who may kill you for survival? You need not answer now, but when the time comes be firm in your choice.

William and Illyvion manage to easily drop a large buck after little chase. There is still some time for their trek back to the campsite, by the time Barran is finished with his perimeter traps. The day is drawing darker still as the wolf just sits calmly staring into the woods from the direction they came, as if waiting for something to arrive. His demeanor not betraying any feelings towards what he awaits.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-13, 02:35 PM
"You can talk!?" Judith says with astonishment, "I really thought those two were just spinning stories... I might consider what you've said, but first, tell me: what stories do your kind tell you that make you hunt and kill sentient beings for pleasure and sport?"

Judith is clearly under the assumption that the beasts that stalk the civilized races are all in league, and are evil. But, she isn't stupid, and tries to open a discourse with this most unusual of conversation partners.

diplomacy check! [roll0] Rank 3, Ability 3, Skill Focus 3, Nymph's Kiss 2
Also noteworthy are my two Exalted Feats. Nimbus of Light: "Good creatures automatically recognize the radiance
surrounding you as a sign of your purity and devotion to
the powers of good. You gain a +2 circumstance bonus on all
Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks made when interacting
with good creatures."
Nymph's Kiss: "Fey creatures regard you as though you were fey. You
gain a +2 circumstance bonus on all Charisma-related checks..."

Azoth
2012-12-13, 04:34 PM
Fenrir looks to Judith when she asks her question, then back off into the woods. We tell no tales or myths. All of our kind have watched humankind as it developed. Your kept pets are nothing more than descendants of my kind who grew too comfortable and lazy over the millenia. They lost their pride and might to become your servants. Still, mankind knew not its place in this world. Your kind destroyed the homes of many beings far older and stronger...only in pursuit of your own ambitions. Subjugation and death are the choices that the races of man offer...even now when you have true fiends to fear. At this rate we are all circling the drain...trying to be the last to fall.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-13, 04:44 PM
"Perhaps there is wisdom in what you say," Judith says, approaching the creature. She isn't sure what to make of the eloquent wolf, but tries to see where it was hit by the arrow. "If you are still wounded, I can heal you. As a sort of ... olive branch, I suppose."

Man on Fire
2012-12-14, 07:46 PM
It could escape everybody's attention, that since wolf started talking, Baran stopped his usual grumping and went completely silent. He didin't turn around, he didn't say a word, he didn't stopped working on his traps. Only after wolf stopped monologuing, he turned towards him and Judith and aproached them slowly.

"Those ancient beings you speak of...It may come as a bit of suprise to you, but I meet one. He was disgusting, sadistic, rotten bastard who murderred my commrades for fun. If mankind destroyed few of his buddies back in the day, well, props for them." He walks towards Fenrir, until he can look the wolf eye in the eye.

"And you wanna talk about knowing your place in the world? As you probably noticed, I'm a Kobold. My kind knew a lot about it's place. And if they forgot, there always was some smug bastard dragon, willing to remind us. Under his scaled, stinking feet. If that's the place world has given my people, I'll go with humans. Don't tell me about place, don't tell me about the world. I have no need for the world where Kobolds are slaves and undesired are being thrown away." He stares into wolf's eyes as small amount of smoke fows from his mouth. "Better be a free citizen with humans, than whatever "place" the world prepared for us." He says an turns around, to return to his traps.

Azoth
2012-12-15, 10:51 PM
Fenrir smirks at Baran, well as much as a wolf in a muzzle can smirk. His eyes turn back to Judith. I need not your healing. That one's fire is weak, but his bark is louder than any of my kind. Not all of fight to hold our land and place little one. Some do it for pleasure and gaining domain over others. Just as your entire species knows well. Do not assume we are all the same.

Fenrir shifts and begins to pace a bit as he tests the leash on his muzzle.
In the end it matters not. We all die, just the when and how change. I have warned you of something, but if you heed it not we all die here and soon. Much sooner than you would care to think.

As he finishes speaking the bushes begin to rustle and the sounds of multiple creatures moving through the forest can be heard from the camp.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-15, 11:51 PM
"Stubborn old wolf..." Judith mutters as she gingerly touches its side. Her halo flickers to life, and she channels a weak amount of positive energy into the creature. "but I like stubborn, and I will trust you."

She removes the winter wolf's muzzle, and draws her glaive.

Cast Cure Minor Wounds for 4 hp healed. Draw Glaive and remove muzzle.

Man on Fire
2012-12-16, 05:32 AM
"Good for me I can do more than just breathe fire and bark." Baran comments on Fenrir's words. "Bad for you you can do only the latter."

Azoth
2012-12-16, 03:55 PM
Fenrir only snarls as he begins to pace around.

The sounds of movement are getting louder and definitely closer by the second. Whatever they are, they aren't being the quietest stalkers in the forest. Fenrir paces around near Judith as if to protect her as a repayment for removing his muzzle. Fierce growls escaping his snout through bared teeth as his hairs stand on end.

With one final crash of low shrubbery the approaching entities are revealed...it is Williem and Illyvion dragging a massive dear behind them. Just as they become visible Fenrir lets loose a mighty booming howl Booooooooooo! before chuckling to himself.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-16, 04:16 PM
Willem drops the buck and flails in surprise, unsure of whether to attack, talk, laugh, or address the fact that Fenrir's muzzle is off and whether or not this is a good thing. So it all just comes out as, "Wizzuuuffubuh!"

Eldariel
2012-12-16, 06:01 PM
Illyvion looks at the camp, the wolf, Willem & back to the camp, all in turn. He takes a moment to stop, sighs, and draw his hood further down. Then he proceeds to wave his hand & the campfire shoots four sparks that turn into large glowing lights and proceed to circle around Judith, Baran & the wolf in the span of 10 seconds corresponding to the movements of Illyvion's finger before the light orbs turn skywards and rocket up, disappearing in the height of ~100'.

He then goes back to dragging the deer further only to notice he's now dragging the whole weight alone, and turns back to Willem with a puzzled gaze from just underneath the hood of his robe.

Mechanics:
Dancing Lights cast.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-16, 06:09 PM
Judith, with glaive drawn and a steady look on her face, lowers her guard and rolls her eyes when the two hunters return with their catch. She had been frightened - she wasn't going to admit it though.

"Very funny, and you got what you wanted. You're a clever one, " Judith admonishes the wolf, but couldn't be happier that there was no immediate danger. Still, she had a nagging feeling that there would be more surprises to come.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-16, 06:39 PM
Willem laughs nervously and picks up his half of the deer.

"Well, this is certainly a surprise. Is... everything... ok?" He looks to Judith and Baran with meaningful, concerned looks.

Sending a Hidden Message (Bluff vs. Sense Motive):

[roll0]
To make sure that Judith and Baran are safe and in control of the situation with Fenrir loose.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-16, 08:38 PM
"I think we have something following us - everyone be on guard tonight."

Eldariel
2012-12-19, 07:30 AM
Illyvion turns to Judith, with a slightly more serious look on his face: "What leads you to believe that? We are certainly in hostile territory all the time; do you think we are at a particularly great risk, for instance being tracked? I can do something to cover our tracks if need be."

NotScaryBats
2012-12-20, 12:00 AM
"I suppose he could have been blowing hot air, but our Lupine friend here said there was something hunting us, I have chosen to believe him for now, " Judith explains.

Man on Fire
2012-12-20, 04:54 AM
"I set some traps, primiive, but they should work. And you know what?" baran starts climbing on the three. "I'll take first watch. From here. With this wolf around better be safe than sorry." He climbs into the upper branches and hides there.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-21, 02:24 PM
Willem takes in the scene, but keeps quiet as he cleans and prepares the deer for dinner, and sets a small fire next to the main one to heat up some water.

He keeps one eye on Fenrir always.

Azoth
2012-12-21, 02:44 PM
Fenrir lounges about as Willem cleans the deer and begins to prepare dinner.

He doesn't seem too relaxed despite his not moving. He seems to constantly be scanning the area anytime his ears twitch or his nose wrinkles.

Time paces peacefully as the dinner preparations are made and the food cooks. It begins to get cold as the time passes. Fenrir takes no notice other than the occasional puffs of breath that pass from people's mouths.

Fenrir grumbles slightly over the bubbling of the pot. I wish they would show themselves already. Skirting outside the range of my senses aside from when the wind shifts. Bastards probably waiting for us to fall asleep...

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 03:48 PM
"I fear I must ask this directly: do you really sense something out there hunting us, or are you merely trying to rattle us?" Judith says staunchly, hands on hips and a serious look on her fair face.

sense motive! [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-12-22, 06:18 PM
Willem stops his cooking to observe the exchange between Fenrir and Judith. Slowly, he takes a sip of the stew he's making, but he still remains tense; his hand rests on his throwing axe.

Eldariel
2012-12-23, 12:04 AM
After the deer has been brought in, Illyvion tries to slip out of the camp unnoticed as everybody is more or less focused on the interaction with the wolf:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If successful:
Illyvion sneaks out to look for any potential hostiles in the near vicinity of the camp, keeping within about 100' which he'd assume is the upwind scent range of the Winter Wolf on a strong scent.

He skulks around the camp trying to remain as unseen as possible, and searches the immediate surrounding of the camp for any traces of any potential hostiles.

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Azoth
2012-12-24, 03:08 PM
Fenrir looks to Judith, My muzzle is gone, and yet I haven't fled or tried to kill you while your group was divided. That should be answer enough for you.. His cold lupin eyes shifting to Willem and his axe before exhaling a small burst of frost on the grass in front of him.

For Illyvion

As you make your way through the darkness you notice that starting 40ft away from the camp there are several winding paths of foot prints. No real attempt made to cover them. At the moment there are no creatures in sight.

Make a survival check if you want to try and follow any of the tracks.

Eldariel
2012-12-24, 07:52 PM
Illyvion does not have the Track-feat and therefore cannot follow any tracks with DC above 10. However, by the sound of this these tracks aren't particularly difficult to find so provided he finds them all from one direction, he'll first analyze the tracks (approximate size & number of creatures present) and then follow them about 100' away.

[roll0] (on determining what the tracks belong to)
[roll1] (should be a mere formality)

Azoth
2012-12-24, 11:13 PM
For Illyvion


You can follow some of the tracks and notice they go off in different directions. Occasionally, paths intersect but don't stay together long. The tracks seem humanoid in appearance, but are smaller than a man's foot. They look like a teenager or a smaller race's foot. Most of the paths you follow are short only about 40-60ft long. After that they seem to stop cold.

You can't find them if they start up again.

Eldariel
2012-12-24, 11:36 PM
@DM:
Given we have a strong hunch we're dealing with a Skulk or a plural there-of already by the mission briefing, could these tracks be Skulk tracks by what Illyvion can tell of them? I'm assuming the same Knowledge-check would apply there.

Also, ballpark estimation of the number of tracks. Are we talking about ~3-5 sets of tracks or maybe closer to 10 or possibly even more than that? Also, Illyvion will cast and maintain Detect Magic - are there any residual magic traces of magic? Do the disappearance patterns match the spell "Pass without Trace"?
[roll0]
[roll1]


Illyvion is returning to the camp after finding out all he can.

Azoth
2012-12-25, 01:24 AM
For Illyvion

.
There are five sets of tracks that are too small to be a full grown Skulk's. (Think Halfling or Gnome sized tracks) You detect no magical auras on the tracks or at their ends.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-25, 04:03 AM
Willem is amused by the display and relaxes a bit. "Point made, Fenrir." He tests the soup. "I'm glad you see that we are not your enemy." He smacks his lips and wipes some of the stew off his beard.

"It won't be long now." He says as he gives the pot another stir.

Eldariel
2012-12-25, 07:45 AM
Illyvion reappears in the camp.

"Five sets of tracks in the vicinity of this camp. Completely fresh small humanoid-like tracks, disappear 40'-60' away, no traces of magic auras or anybody visible. Clearly we or Fenrir here are of interest to somebody. You can probably track better than I can, Willem; if you wish you might want to take a look too."

inexorabletruth
2012-12-25, 06:56 PM
Willem looks up from his bubbling pop, his visage turning from serene to severe as he considers the implications of being watched.

He stands up and grabs his trusty bow and readies a blunted arrow. "Very well, friend. Let's have a look."

Willem's going to shoot first and ask questions later.

Readied action:
Attack with Blunt Arrow if something attacks (Races of the Wild, pg. 163, stats on pg. 165)

Azoth
2012-12-28, 02:31 PM
Fenrir looks to Willem. Have fun, and hope you don't die. They can kill me with ease using only brute force. Would you be so lucky alone? Or would it be best to sit tight and wait for them to attack when they think us unprepared?

inexorabletruth
2012-12-30, 04:00 AM
Willem smiles at the Winter Wolf reassuringly.

"At this point, we are unprepared already. I should like to know who our foes are before they strike. Besides, you've nothing to fear Fenrir. You are amongst powerful allies."

After that, he puts a finger to his mouth to gesture that he wants silence and follows Illyvion into the woods.

Move Silently: [roll]1d20+8[roll]
Hide: [roll0]
Survival (Track): [roll1]

Azoth
2012-12-30, 04:44 PM
For willem
You haven't run into any opposition on your search yet. You manage to find the tracks Illyvion told you about, but can't seem to follow them through the brush of the forest easily. The tracks seem humanoid in appearance, but you can't identify what made them.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-31, 03:26 AM
Discouraged, Willem shakes his head to Illyvion and shrugs hopelessly. Still unwilling to make a sound, he gestures back to the camp inquisitively.

Eldariel
2012-12-31, 03:51 AM
Illyvion nods and the two return to camp. "Suppose if we are to have guests we'll just have to wait and give them our regards when they drop by. And my good wolf, to truly be prepared you must know your enemy. You cannot efficiently prepare for an unknown enemy, nor can you overthrow surprise unless you know how your enemy plans to surprise you. All else being equal, the one to initiate a fight has the edge. Not that I worry."

inexorabletruth
2013-01-01, 11:58 AM
Willem heads over to his soup and prepares a bowl for everyone, and a cup of coffee for Judith.

"Perhaps we should double up on our watch then. Two up, two down. I'm not going to lose out on sleep just because we have a stalker in our midst; just so it can wait until we're feeble from exhaustion to attack, but I've no intention of lowering our guard either. An extra set of eyes and ears may keep our elusive interloper at bay or at least give us fewer blind spots when it does come charging in. Any thoughts?"

Eldariel
2013-01-01, 02:46 PM
Illyvion looks thoughtful for a moment.

"I concur, we might want to keep a stronger watch than normal. Though I only require four hours of trance and even while in trance, I'm quite swift to act; mayhap you three take turns watching while I keep a second watch all night? Such nine hour rest would have six hours of sleep for all of you."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-01, 08:31 PM
"How useful," the human woman muses, settling into a position to get some sleep, since others have indicated their desire to take that unenviable position in her stead. "I pray we will have a quiet, safe night." Unless molested, the healer goes to sleep.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-01, 09:13 PM
Willem shrugs. "Anyone else wants some coffee? It's a very fine brew; it comes from the soil of a volcanic island. I never start my day, or a night watch, without a cup."

Man on Fire
2013-01-02, 04:12 AM
"Gimme some." Baran calls Willem, without even sticking his head outside the three branch., just his hand grasping the air, like the mug was within it's reach.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-02, 02:36 PM
Willem smiles and walks over to Baran's perch, then hands him a mug. Then sits down to enjoy a delicious bowl of soup.

Azoth
2013-01-06, 06:50 PM
Dinner goes smoothly, and everyone turns in safely. The first watch has little excitement to speak of. A few small creatures scurry through the camp near its edges, but nothing large approaches the camp. At least not close enough to spring the traps.

Despite the lack of life seen so far, the forest seems alive with murder.

A thick fog begins to roll across the grass in the darkness of the night. The infrequent sounds of scurrying heard throughout the afternoon are replaced instead with sounds of horror.

You can easily hear the howls of beasts like Fenrir coordinating their attacks echoing through the trees. Soon after a series of howls the sounds of trees being toppled in loud crashes one after another. Pained howls and screams fill the night air in increasing number and intensity. It is as if the entire forest is alight with thoughts of genocide.

It isn't even halfway through the watch before the smell of blood carries through the fog to assault your noses. Soon carried on the wind are its companions of death and excrement. It is a stench most foul, and thick as any incense in any monastery.

If either of you look over to Fenrir, you see him sleeping soundly. His massive frame moving gently with each breath. The ground around him gaining a thick frost as his breath freezes the fog around him.

This orgy of death continues almost until the end of your watch in full swing building in intensity, but hidden behind the veil of fog and tree. Darkness your friend and foe in this. Then as if a symphony ending, the noises halt suddenly just before the end of your watch. The forest becomes dead silent.

You can hear the stillness of the air. For the first time, you notice that Fenrir is snoring softly in his slumber. The sounds of your own hearts the loudest noise your strained ears can detect.

Man on Fire
2013-01-08, 12:38 PM
"Go to sleep." Baran tells Williem, as he climbs down to wake up their second watch.
"I won't deny I'm not jellous of what you'll have put up with. This is one messed up place." He tells Illyvion.
before going to sleep however, he takes some time to train, meditate and prepare his incantations. Hunter like him needs to do that even in the worst conditions.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-08, 01:10 PM
Willem nods his agreement, and heats up the coffee for the next watch. "It's going to be a long night." He sighs, as he climbs into his tree tent for the night.

Hide: [roll0]

Eldariel
2013-01-08, 03:48 PM
"'Really messed-up' just about describes what we experience every day. We'll manage. Mind of steel, body of wind.", Illyvion answers to Baran, reciting the proverb of Elven warriors.

He takes his position in a tree and languidly gazes at the horrors that are to unfold.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Azoth
2013-01-10, 03:20 PM
The eerie silence continues on for some time, with the only sights to be seen as swirling drifts in the ever increasing fog. What had started as an annoyance to sight at first has now grown thicker than stew. Grey and wisps of red dance about in the wind as it pushes it too and fro.

On occasion the silence is broken by the crackling of a dying ember from the fire, or a sound something akin to a bone snapping sharply in the distance. Then the sound dies as suddenly as it began. To be replaced again by the deathly silence in the mid of this night. Still hours to pass before the twilight of eve passing to the breaking of light and day.

Even Fenrir's snoring has stopped, and his frame lie almost still. Only the slightest movement of his body with shallow breaths signifies the beast to be still living. Though, even that could be a trick of the wind on his fur.

Still little has happened within sight of you, and the watch is close to half over. The first sound of clanking would seem almost a trick on the ears from a bored and yet still alert mind. Then it is heard again louder still and much more violently than the first. This no trick, something or someone is rushing through the trap lines without thought or grace.

As you snap the ready, you see this massive form come obscured by the fog into view. You can not make out much aside his massive frame, and even larger sword held at the ready. Its glinting light tainted crimson with fresh blood that seem to dance in what light pierces the fog around you.

At the sight of the dying fire, this form seems to slow to an almost stop. It is now you notice that despite obvious wound, the being's frame shakes and heaves with burdened breath. It does not call out to you, but does seem slightly confused and on guard, as if ready and expecting a battle, or continuance of one.

Eldariel
2013-01-10, 07:47 PM
"Who goes there?! Friend or foe?", Illyvion's clarion voice carries the challenge through the dead night.

His silhouette stands tall on a branch in the tree where he has stood watch, bow drawn in one hand but no arrow strung.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-10, 07:58 PM
"Both!" Tharg shouts with a voice like grinding stones, as he glances between the group and the direction he had just come running from. His saw toothed blade glinting in his hand he drops into a ready stance. "Either fight with Tharg or against him, but decide quickly!"

Eldariel
2013-01-10, 08:17 PM
"You are...!" Illyvion gasps with a shocked voice. He quickly glances inquisitively to the direction of Judith.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-11, 01:10 AM
"We must help this man," Judith says affirmatively. Her glaive at the ready, the healer prepares for battle. She rouses her allies with a short whistle.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-11, 03:25 AM
Tharg nods as he turns his back to the fire, and faces back the way he came. "Many monsters stalk the night. Be ready."

NotScaryBats
2013-01-11, 03:42 AM
Judith sizes up the hulk. Does he appear wounded, and in need of some healing?

Heal check to assess: [roll0]
If he appears in need of healing before the fight, I will approach him.

Azoth
2013-01-11, 02:18 PM
Fenrir seems to raise his head rather languishingly at the whistle. A short snort of frost exiting his snout as he began to rise into consciousness. That slow attitude did not last long as he caught whiff of the threat at hand. His hair ruffling as he shot to his feet.

Judith's examination is accompanied by the sound of the traps going off again. This time rattling as if they threatened to break against themselves. It will only be another second or two before the threat comes to sight, and the battle begins.

Man on Fire
2013-01-11, 03:30 PM
Baran wakes up, but remains hidden between the branches. His experience had taught him that with hulging giants like this one it's better to use the element of suprise, whenever you have it. He will observe, but is ready to jump if man is dangerous or agressive.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-11, 07:47 PM
Thargs eyes flash silver for just a second, before a look of understanding flashes across his face. He widens his stance and sidles a few inches to the left.

manifest precognitition defensive to gain +1 to ac and saves for 2 mins.

Eldariel
2013-01-11, 08:45 PM
Illyvion just nods at Judith, then at Tharg and then seeks to conceal himself again, bow at a ready:
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2013-01-12, 12:59 AM
Willem snaps to a sitting position in his tree tent at the sound of the whistle and clutches his bow. He nocks and peers down below for a target. When he sees Tharg at first, he trains an arrow at his chest, but then realizes that he's not the threat when the others don't seem to be attacking. After hearing Tharg's introduction, he decides to look about for another threat.

Ready: Attack against any foe charging from the direction Tharg appears to have come from [roll0]
Spot: [roll1] (do I get an advantage for being in a tree?)
Still hiding in my tree tent.

Azoth
2013-01-12, 01:15 AM
The alarms continue to ring out their song as shapes take form in the mist. Shadowed shapes of beings begin to peer through the mist. Two flank the image of Tharg from ten feet out at either of his sides. A third coming up directly behind him. His shape not visible until he is only about five feet from Tharg.


Surprise round for the party.

Any enemy more than 5' from you has partial concealment (20% miss chance) due to the fog. Any enemy more than 10' away has total concealment (50% miss chance)

NotScaryBats
2013-01-12, 01:28 AM
Do you only get a standard action in a surprise round, or can you do a move and attack?
initiative if needed [roll0]

Judith, close to the barbarian in order to inspect his lack of wounds, takes a quick swipe at one of the flanking forms with her father's Masterwork glaive, Foehew.

If Tharg is T, I would be J, E for enemy
xxxExxx
xExTxEx
xxJxxxx
CAMP
Is what I think the map would look like? you said they're 10 feet away?

At any rate: [roll1] Attack roll with glaive
[roll2] dmg

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-12, 01:57 AM
Tharg swings his sword as hard as he can at the form closest to him. With a furious shout he brings his glittering red blade around in a sweeping blow. attacking the one that is 5 feet away.
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
PA for 3

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-12, 01:59 AM
sorry for double post, but crit confirmation! which means an auotmatic hit! if i get the x2 i think we might see some chunky salsa on thargs first attack :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2013-01-12, 02:47 PM
Willem attempts to understand what he's looking at. There are many shadows in the woods... most of them won't get hurt by mere arrows. He thinks to himself as he strains his eyes to pierce the dark and fog.

Knowledge Check:
Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering: [roll1]
Geography: [roll2]
History: [roll3]
Nature: [roll4]
to better understand what I'm fighting.

Ready Attack in case Willem's attacked in the meantime.

Eldariel
2013-01-12, 06:51 PM
Illyvion raises his hand and a spray of prismatic colors shoots out, hitting any enemies he can while avoiding Tharg.

Azoth
2013-01-17, 11:12 PM
Tharg's massive frame twists and the glint of his blade is barely noticed by the enemy before him. A sharp howl escapes it lips before the blade passes completely through his form. As top topple from bottom a massive spray of blood bathes Tharg's torso. It feels warm against the cold of night.

Judith's swing passes nothing but mist. The enemy having caught its howl through the wind just in time to duck under its fierce strike. He lost only a few mangy hairs to her sharp blade.

Illyvion turns from his treetop perch and lets loose a massive burst of colors towards Tharg that seem to dazzle even the massive brute and Judith for a moment as the bright colors dance in the mist. The enemy caught between the allies illuminated for a moment as a dark shadow against a backdrop of rainbow. His eyes unfocused and his body unable to move.

Just as things seem to going well for the group Fenrir's howl can be heard at the back of the camp. While none can see him this howl is definitely one of pain. It is soon followed by a fierce bark. His tongue forgetting the words of man now in this moment of anger.

Eldariel
2013-01-19, 10:14 AM
Judging it's too dangerous to use bow in this illumination, Illyvion drops it and draws his Scythe while jumping down from the tree and rushes to engage the adversary closest to him.

While running, he yells
Draconic:
"Somebody needs to check out what is happening with Fenris!"
He then brings his Scythe to bear upon the enemy in front of him:
[roll0] [roll1] (Inspiration point used for each, 4/6 remaining)
[roll2] [roll3]

Mechanics:
Free Action: Drop the Bow.
Move Action: Jump down from the tree and draw Scythe while moving, move to I7.
Standard Action: Attack HG2 with Scythe

All this assuming he doesn't notice anybody else closer while coming down from the tree and moving towards his opponent. Worth noting that as an Elf, Illyvion also has Low-Light Vision.

Azoth
2013-01-19, 05:04 PM
Illyvion makes his approach expertly through the swirling mist towards the blinded foe his dazzling display lit up seconds before. The mist swirling as he approaches, his scythe slicing through the mist with a deathly howl. At the last second he notices the hob goblin's ears twitch and his trusted blade meets the hard resistance of a shield. A few sparks spray between the two as the blade scrapes over the shield eliciting a howl like nails on a chalk board. The blade finding tender flesh as it pulls free of the enemy defense. Tender flesh giving way to bone as the blade sends a chunk of his enemy's ear and scalp flying before finishing its deadly arc.

Baran joins with a gout of fire blasting in from the side. The flames licking at the flesh of the already wounded foe. Illyvion can feel his hairs standing on end about to ignite themselves from the closeness of the intense flames. His sense of smell readily assaulted by the scent of burning fats and hair. Parts of the hobgoblin smouldering infront of him. For a brief second he can see the wound his scythe inflicted, and that it no longer bleeds.

Judith's enemy smirks with rotten teeth unseen as a small flame flickers into existence behind her. Hoping to use this light and distraction to his advantage he steps in closer. His blade thrusting out for her stomach with tangible malice. Hoping to run her through, and seeming to bypass any form of protection the fair sister wears over her form as if he could fulfill his desire to feel hilt against flesh.


Swift Action: Distracting Ember Boost into H8
Move Action: 5' step into E8
Standard Action: Emerald Razor strike
Miss Chance (miss on a 1): [roll0]
Attack Roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Conformation(19-20):[roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-19, 08:07 PM
Tharg roars in fury at the hobgoblin closest to Judith, the steam from his breath mixing with the the steam rising from the blood that covered his body. He takes a leaping step and loops his blade around towards the beasts face. The muscles in his arms and chest bulge as he puts as much force behind it as he can.

5 foot step to g7
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit confirm [roll2]
crit damage [roll3]
miss on a one unless i crit [roll4]

maybe a serrated falchion was a bad choice for a low op game....

Azoth
2013-01-20, 03:57 PM
Tharg's roar seems to echo over the screams of pain coming from the goblin that Illyvion and Baran are...keeping entertained. This goblin seems better prepared for Tharg than his first foe. The looping slash for his face is met with a well practiced lean getting his face clear of the carnage of Tharg's might. His lean isn't enough though, as the blade continues its arc slipping between his chest and the chain shirt that hangs loosely from him. A high metallic ring pierces the air as several rings give way to the force of the attack. Blood begins to spill from the links like a stream once a dam has been burst. The sound of bouncing metal on hard dirt the only noise to escape this foe.

The hobgoblin facing down the masters of flame and illusion can sense he is not fairing well. His sight gone, but his body is now atleast responding to his commands. With a motion of his blade making a tight arc around his injured body, he seems to vanish from sight. As if some phantasm that was never there to begin with. He no longer stands before you, but not even the sound of shifting grass betrays where he has left to.

Off in the distance sounds of Fenrir's fight travel well, and do not sound well for the massive beast. The ferocious bark heard seconds ago is replaced with a massive howl. Just as when he first ambushed the group. A sign of his intent still in recent memory for the group. Then come the sounds of shouting and pained whimpers like a pup being beaten for some misdeed.

The only clue to the fight now is the sound of an arrow flying through the camp. Its screech halted by a thick bush then a flash of flame as the entire offending plant goes up. Its fire burning brightly as if it might spread out to the rest of the wood given chance.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-20, 04:55 PM
Willem observes the battle closely from his high perch. The battle with the hobgoblins seem to be going well enough. He nods at Illyvion's command and decides to trust his team.

Slinging his bow over his shoulder, he gauges the distance to the next tree. He crouches low, muttering a quiet prayer to any god that might be listening, and musters all his strength to spring outward like a flying squirrel, reaching for the next tree.

Willem covers his head as he crashes through the leaves and limbs, then wraps his arms around the neighboring tree trunk until his feet solidly rest on a sturdy enough branch. Wasting no time to celebrate his victory, Willem scouts the last known location of Fenrir for signs of trouble, drawing his bow simultaneously.

@DM:
The map shows no one around Fenrir. In the OOC, I spot for 9 and listen for 13. Do I see or hear him? If so, is he under attack? If so, is it safe to fire (is the enemy creature occupying his square?)

Oh yeah, still hiding:
Hide [roll0] minus whatever penalties I took for flying through the air like George of the Jungle.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-20, 07:32 PM
"Hang in there, Fenrir..." he whispers as he strains to see the silhouettes in the dark. Willem lines up a shot and fires at the closest and most discernible shadow.

Remain Action:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

NotScaryBats
2013-01-21, 01:05 PM
Judith maneuvers herself to the side of the creature engaged with Tharg. She hopes it is distracted enough to open its defenses to her polearm. Seeing her chance, she makes a wide overhead slash, aiming for the neck of the creature.

Unfortunately, she telegraphs the strike too much, and her enemy effortlessly avoids Foehew's descent. Judith hisses through clenched teeth, but hopes she at least gave the huge warrior a chance to end its life with that huge, serrated blade of his.

step to f9
attack with glaive [roll0]
on hit [roll1] dmg
miss on a 1 [roll2]

Eldariel
2013-01-21, 04:12 PM
Illyvion quickly analyses his opponent. Based on the the goblin's vanishing he recognizes as an esoteric skill Shadowmasters use, and his approximate capabilities in this weather he creates an approximation.

Draconic
"He can't be far! He can only move where he can see and the distance is short in this fog! If he's not making noise he did not move. Hunt him down, approximate 30' distance from his last location."

Eldariel
2013-01-28, 11:01 AM
As Illyvion sees his opponent disappear, he runs quick calculations in his mind. Judging that Judith and Tharg should be able to overpower the remaining hobgoblin handily, he springs to chase. He determines the only direction where the hobgoblin could disappear from everyone's sight at the moment is by shifting downwards. Conveniently, this is where he wants to go anywhere, to get closer to the camp.

Like a shadow of death flying through the fog, and Illyvion quickly enough gleans sight of his wounded enemy. Seeking to capitalize on the advantage he brings the scythe down in a wide arc, as if to reap the enemy.

Mechanics
Move Action: Move downwards until enemy is visible, then move to J9.
Standard Action: Attack with Scythe using Inspiration on both, To Hit and Damage.

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

Azoth
2013-01-30, 05:48 PM
The hobgoblin facing Judith and Tharg lets out a rasping breath as he slides a hand up to the broken links of his armor. A brief curse escaping his lips as the bloodied hand slips back to his longsword. He draws it back and lets loose a wide swing that almost seems to hurl his entire body into a spin that should topple him. Through some miracle of skill, he keeps his feet and the heavy attack seems like it won't stop even if it were to cut Judith in half.


Standard Action: Steel Wind Strike

Attack at Judith: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit confirmation(19-20):[roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
Miss Chance (miss on 1): [roll4]

Attack at Tharg: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Crit confirmation(19-20):[roll7]
Crit Damage: [roll8]
Miss Chance (miss on 1): [roll9]



Illyvion's blade elicits a surprised gasp from his foe. His shield rises and takes the blow. His arm being pushed flat against his body with the force of the blow. A sharp hiss escapes lips as he turns and pushes the blade away from himself with some effort.

Baran jumps down from his perch and begins a hunt for enemies. Since none are in his sight, he heads towards the closest sounds of battle.
Double Move Action: Move to E6

Vixsor Lumin
2013-01-30, 07:37 PM
Tharg saw where the blade was going to be before the hobgoblin even knew he was going to swing it. Tharg twists his body out of the way and as he does so he brings his blade around aiming for the beasts neck. Throwing all his weight into the blow, he tries to the the things head off.attack crit on 17-20 [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit conf [roll2]
miss on a 1 [roll3]

Azoth
2013-02-01, 05:12 PM
The hobgoblin fighting Illyvion takes his opening as the heavy scythe blow is pushed away. His blade rises level as his shield is tucked in. A ready look on his face as he retreats closer to reinforcements. His defenses leaving no opening.
Full round action: Withdraw to J12

For Willem as he is the only one close enough to see what is going on.


Fenrir is trying to run, but some force is keeping him from making any progress. Every time he tries to move you can see him being pulled farther back losing his ground and becoming harder to see.

The hobgoblin shadows in the mist move and duck as they thrust blows at Fenrir eliciting pained howls from him. A quick flash of fire reveals the smiling faces of enemies and a singed and bloody Fenrir held in a net.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-02, 06:11 AM
Now that his advantage of surprise is lost, Willem jumps from the tree, dropping his bow in the process, and draws his throwing axe as he skirts around the campfire.

Reaching out with his right hand, he snags the net and stretches a portion of it away from Fenrir, then sweeps down for a clean chop at the net. "We have to get you out of here!" He shouts to Fenrir.

Jump Down (DC 15): [roll0]
Move to HI,12 (Just north of the campfire.)
Sunder Net:
Attack: [roll1] vs DC 3 (10+Size Mod+DEX of 0-2 to AC for being inanimate) -4 to attack for Sunder included.
Damage: [roll2] vs. Hardness ? HP 5

Azoth
2013-02-04, 03:38 PM
Willem's swing slices a hole in the net as Fenrir rears on his hind legs scratching at the net with nails causing it to fall off of him. The net slide back out of sight as the giant's strength no longer has a counter. As the net vanishes an arrow whistles and embeds into Fenrir before snapping and bathing the wolf in flames.

The hobgoblin closest Fenrir turns and sees the beast free before raising a call.

Those who speak goblin
Regroup! The beast is free! He has friends!

He looks for the one who freed Fenrir, and seeing a shadow across the fire smiles. He turns and lobs a small bag at Willem. Should it hit, Willem is in for a nasty surprise.


Attack roll against Touch AC: [roll0]
Damage: Entanglement
Side effect: DC15 Ref save or be unable to move until dealing 15 points of slashing damage to goo.
Duration: [roll1] rounds
Miss Chance(less than 50): [roll2]

inexorabletruth
2013-02-04, 05:57 PM
"Flee Fenrir! And forgive me!" He shouts as the sticky glue splashes against his clothing, he leaps aside in time to prevent the ooze from gluing him to the floor, but he can feel the ichor hardening on him, slowing his movement even as the grinning hobgoblins close in on him.

Defiantly, he spits at the nearest hobgoblin, hoping to keep their wrath fixed on him and away from Fenrir.

NotScaryBats
2013-02-04, 06:32 PM
"It's over! " Judith says, swinging her glaive once again. Her holy nimbus of light burns brightly in the fog.

Okay, time to die, guy.
[roll0] on hit [roll1]
Miss chance if my nimbus doesn't eliminate the fog miss on a 1 [roll2]

Azoth
2013-02-04, 07:13 PM
As Judith's blade sinks into the goblin's flesh, he smiles and lashes out with his own blade. He knows that regardless of its outcome he is dead, but he plans to take her with him. As his blade flies, it ignites in a wreath of flames swirling with a palpable hatred for Judith and Tharg.


Immediate Action: Fire Repost Counter
Attack Against Touch AC: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Fire Damage
Miss chance (less than 20): [roll2]

NotScaryBats
2013-02-04, 09:24 PM
As the goblin dies, Judith spares a glance to the man who helped her kill it. "Haven't seen that one before," she says in a steady voice.

Eldariel
2013-02-05, 11:51 AM
Illyvion witnesses first his adversary's retreat and then the mess that follows; axes cutting the darkness, howling, hobgoblin voice yelling commands and the scene that follows.

Like a shadow, he follows his target but already takes his right hand off the scythe and begins drawing arcane markings in the air during his approach.

Giant
"Fenrir, you're free! Clear the way, I will use magic. Move towards me next to the wounded hobgoblin, hurry!"

Mechanics
Move Action: Move to J12.
Standard Action: Ready action to cast Color Spray at the 3 Hobgoblins after Fenrir has acted; whether he moves away or not is immaterial, he has been given the chance.

[roll0]

Man on Fire
2013-02-14, 08:33 AM
Realizing that their enemies sems to have quite anfilation withfire, baran dismisses his plan of setting up everybody on fire. Instead he picks up his crossbow and moves slowly, aiming at nearest opponent. And then shoots, with silent efficency.


Assuming target doesn't have concealment, rolls will be
[roll0]
dmg [roll1]

Vixsor Lumin
2013-03-02, 12:18 AM
Tharg releases a breath to try to clear his mind. As his breath flows out, he feels for vibrations in the ground. Once he gets his bearing he moves to prepare an all out assault.

Move: Use Earth Sense feat to attempt to discern the direction of his enemies through the mist.

Move:move to J7

Azoth
2013-03-08, 12:47 AM
As the battle rages on Fenrir growls his acknowledgement towards Illyvion's call. Thankful the net has be burst from his form. His lupine eyes watching as Willem is encrusted with the contents of the enemy's attack. As he readies to move the haunting voice of the giant reaches his ears. It soon grows loud enough for Willem and Illyvion to hear over the clash of battle.

A moment after it starts a brief flash is visible off in the distance. Then a tiny shape as if an ember on the wind begins to shoot towards them. Its glow intensifying as it nears them. The right before Fenrir's eyes it bursts outward. The energy within released with the intensity of a towering inferno. Its flames lighting up the mist for only a few seconds, but making it bright enough those caught in its path cast shadows as if in the light of a late morning sun.



A fireball goes off with J13 as its center.

Willem and Illyvion both make a reflex save. DC 14

Damage is [roll0] fire damage. 7 fire damage on a successful save if you don't have evasion.

Azoth
2013-03-08, 01:23 AM
forgot fenrir and a few enemies acted before willem

Fenrir manages to drop to the ground avoiding most of the flames before his face. Still his fur burns bare in patches as a muffled whimper escapes his muzzle. As the flames die his massive jaws latch onto the hobgoblin on his left (h4). He rises to full height ripping the leg out from under the creature and sending it to the ground with a threatening growl before retreating out of Illyvion's way.

As Illyvion's hand reaches out yet another blast of color arcs through the enemy ranks. The hobgoblin on the ground manages to shield his eyes long enough to stave off Illyvion's attacks. He then rises up to his feet and steps where Fenrir stood. His weapon ready to defend his brothers.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-08, 01:29 AM
Willem leaps back from the blast, but the fire moves faster. He screams in pain as the fire envelops him and skin blackens and cracks. He manages to stand his ground but chokes and vomits at the smell of his own fire-roasted flesh, burnt hair and clothing. "Ughhah..." he whimpers with a shudder, and cringes in agony as he peels off a tattered part of his sleeve that had fused to his forearm. He steps back to steady himself and tries to focus his dry, scratchy eyes.

Willem sucks in air past his chapped lips, then lets out a desperate trill that radiates in a shockwave blast.

Using Trill Attack:
Investing 1 more point of essentia for a total of 3.
Effect (20' Radius, 3 Targets, Stunned 1d4 rounds) h2, h5, G1.
Will Save negates DC 14

Azoth
2013-03-10, 06:43 PM
Willem's trill sends the Hobgoblin's holding their ears as they try to turn from ear piercing noise. The one caught between himself and Willem doubles retching as his sight and hearing are assaulted simultaneously. The one only a step away nearly drops his weapon as he claws at his ears.

The one far back smirks to himself at the foolishness of his kin. His clawed hands drawing back another arrow. He sets his sights on where he saw Fenrir's form move through the mist and where that horrid noise came from. With a sinister laugh he lets the arrow fly a second in its wake.


Attacks at Willem
Foll Round action: Rappid shot barrage
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Miss chance(under 50):[roll2]


Attack Roll: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Miss chance(under 50):[roll5]

inexorabletruth
2013-03-10, 06:47 PM
Willem skips away as one arrow lands at his feet, and another shears the tattered rags of what remains of his clothing, wincing in agony at each strained movement.

NotScaryBats
2013-03-15, 04:58 PM
Assuming This (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t2988) is the correct, up to date map

Judith nods, satisfied that the current foe has been dispatched. Her ears perk up as a fireball is loosed among her allies, and she rushes off to deal with the aftermath, feeling that ensuring Willem survives another attack is paramount. She utters a short prayer to the gods and whispers, "Find your strength, Willem."

Touching the man, he will feel his flesh and bones infused with holy power, and his wounds will close.

Move to I 13
cast Maximized Cure Moderate Wounds for 2d8+3+3 or 22 hp healed. holding Foehew in my off hand.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-15, 11:53 PM
Willem sighs as the agony of his wounds subsides and a strange giddiness overcomes him now that he knows he has a second lease on life. He nods his thanks to Judith and readies himself to continue the fight. He blushes a little at the new draftiness of his outfit and reminds himself to break out the needle and thread tonight.