PDA

View Full Version : An honest-to-god magic fix...? (3.5) (I strongly suggest you check this out)

Seharvepernfan
2012-10-10, 03:03 AM
So, for quite a while, I was trying to come up with a way to restructure magic into a decent spell-point system. I was making a little progress, but then I came across this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002) (Click the first link in the first post)

It's a long read, but if you've ever been disapointed with magic or class imbalances in 3.5, I strongly suggest you read through it. In my opinion, it's a beautiful fix. The creator, Ernir, doesn't consider it a fix. (I asked his permission to make this thread)

In it, Ernir has gone through and restructured not only the way magic works, but the core spellcasting classes, spell-using magic items, and all the core spells (a couple are still pending, but still, like 99%). All casters are now spontaneous and have a list of known spells - there is no more preparing spells.

I think that more people should be aware of it, because it solves so many of the problems that people bring up in countless threads on this forum. Now, I'm not sure about every little part, but I would use it over the parallel material presented in the PHB every time, hands down.

I'm asking everyone who is interested, to go through it and break it down.

-Does it not balance the classes (fighters still suck, but what about a cleric of war and strength...)?
-Does it preserve the playability of the game into high levels?
-Does it balance the spells against each other?
-Is it not a much simpler, plug-in-and-play system?
-Would you rather play with this system?

What's wrong with it? What would you change to enhance it?

Personally, off the top of my head, I think he actually made druids too weak, I'm not too sure about Shadow Evocation and Meteor (and a few others), and the Ranger's class features will take some mulling over before I accept them.

Still, I would love to see more people adding to this work, either by converting monsters, magic items, and non-core material to it, or by just getting together on the same page with a 3.5 "fix". I can't say how well it works with things like, say, the Tome of Battle, and that's part of the reason I started this thread.

What do you all think?

Amechra
2012-10-10, 04:19 PM
I've personally liked that system for a while; however, people are way too taken up by the Vancian system to want to change.

Ernir
2012-10-11, 08:54 PM
It's not often I see people make a thread about someone else's homebrew. I'm going to take this as great praise. :smallsmile:

/me watches thread intently

Seharvepernfan
2012-10-13, 07:02 PM
A modest bump for people who haven't seen it yet.