PDA

View Full Version : Arcanist & Epic Arcanist [PEACH]

Arcanist
2012-10-11, 04:54 AM
Preface:
I've seen this class been attempted dozens of times and they've always appeared unbalanced to me. In 2nd edition the Arcanist had access to all their spells known 24/7... You can obviously see why that would be a little unfair... So I decided to implement a Spells known system that can be changed every day. Effectively it still needs to prepare as a Wizard prepare as many spells of whatever level it wants or needs and cast those spells whenever it wants (or is able to). In essence I wanted the Arcanist to be a class that prepared like a Wizard, but casted (or Manifested) as a Psion.

Hopefully the playground will be gentle so please, feel free to edit and comment in this thread to tell me what is troubling you... on this class :smallsmile:

I'm a little nervous about sharing my ideas... so be as harsh and as brutal as you possibly can. If I'm bad at this I wanna know :smallannoyed:

The Arcanist

Alignment
Any.

Hit Die
d4.

Table 1-1
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Arcs/day|Unique Spells/day|Weave Depth

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Field Specialization, Spellbook, Scribe Scroll|2|1|1st|

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3||6|2|1st|

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3||11|3|1st|

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4||17|3|2nd|

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Bonus Feat|25|4|2nd|

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5||35|5|3rd|

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||46|6|3rd|

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6||58|6|4th|

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6||72|7|4th|

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Bonus Feat|88|8|5th|

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7||106|9|5th|

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||126|9|6th|

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||147|10|6th|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||170|11|7th|

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Bonus Feat|195|12|7th|

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||221|12|8th|

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||250|13|8th|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||280|14|9th|

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||311|15|9th|

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Bonus Feat|343|15|10th|[/table]

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level,x4 at 1st level) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Class Feature

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Arcanists are proficient with the club, dagger, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, and quarterstaff, but not with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a Arcanist’s movements, which can cause her spells with somatic components to fail.

Arcs
An Arcanist’s ability to cast spells is limited by the arcs he has available. his base daily allotment of arcs is given on Table 1–1. In addition, he receives bonus arcs per day if he has a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–4). Certain feats and items may also provide bonus arcs per day.

Each spell costs a certain number of arcs to cast. The higher the level of the spell, the more arcs it costs. Table 1–2 describes each spell’s cost.

Table 1-2
{table=head] Spell Level |
Arcs Cost

0th | 0*|
1st | 1 |
2nd | 3 |
3rd | 5 |
4th | 7 |
5th | 9 |
6th | 11 |
7th | 13 |
8th | 15 |
9th | 17 |
10th | 19 |
11th | 21 |
12th | 23 |
[/table]
and so on...**

*0th-level spells (cantrips) cost no arcs, consume no Unique Spells per day, and may be casted an unlimited number of times.

**All spells beyond 1st cost twice the spell level -1.

In order to replenish his store of arcs, the Arcanist must rest for at least eight hours. Any arcs spent within the last eight hours count against the Arcanist’s daily limit and are not restored.

Field Specialization
Arcanists differ from other spellcasters in their division of magic into three fields—invention, mentalism, and variation—rather than the traditional eight schools. Every Arcanist must select at 1st level one field as his major field of specialization, and one as his minor field. The Arcanist gains a +2 bonus on Spellcraft checks to identify and scribe spells from his major field. Spells of the third field are not available to the Arcanist and he may not cast them. He may not change his choice of specialization later.

Fields of magic are treated just like schools where feats such as Spell Focus are concerned. Effects that specifically target a certain school only affect those spells of a field that fall into that school. So, for example, a character can gain Spell Focus (mentalism) as a feat, but an item that specifically blocks enchantment spells and effects would not necessarily block all mentalisms.

Table 1-3
{table=head]
Field |
School

Invention | Conjuration, Evocation |
Mentalism | Divination, Enchantment, Illusion |
Variation | Abjuration, Necromancy, Transmutation |

[/table]

Due to the Netherese use of an entirely different system of magic then that was casted before the Fall of their Empire. Spells casted by Arcanist were considered to only be limited in power by the caster. Spells that would normally have been inhibited by a cap are instead uncapped. For example a Fireball spell casted by an Arcanist with a caster level of 44 dealt 44d6 damage instead of being limited to a lowly 10d6 as if it were casted by a regular Wizard. In addition to this when casting a spell, an Arcanist may use more Arcs then necessary for the spell to increase the DC to resist the spell by 1 for every additional Arc also, when casting a spell you may increase the caster level of the spell by 1 for every 2 additional Arcs added to the spell. You may not add more Arcs to a spell then twice your caster level using this. You may not use excessive Arcs for the different functions. A Spell modified to have a +2 to bonus to the DC did not also confer a +1 bonus to the caster level of the spell.

It is possible to obtain spells from your forbidden school with the Extra Spell feat (CArc).

Spellcasting
The Arcanist cast arcane spells derived from the Wizard/Sorcerer Spell list. Arcanist do not need to prepare there spells in advance instead taking the Arcane energy from the environment around them and producing the desired effect, however the Arcanist does possess a spellbook for the purpose of recording which spells they are allowed to cast. To cast a spell the Arcanist must possess an intelligence score of 10 + the spell level and have the required Arcs for the spell.

Once a spell is casted it takes up a tiny portion of the Arcanist mind and remains there until either the Arcanist takes 8 hours of rest to refresh their mind. An Arcanist may cast as many spells as the amount of Arcs he possess allows, however once he cast his limit of different spells he is unable to cast any different spells save the ones that are saved in his mind.

The difficulty class for resisting an Arcanist spells is 10 + the Spell level + the Arcanist int modifier.

Weave Depths
The more complex a spell is, the deeper an Arcanist must reach into the Weave to cast it. An Arcanist begins play with the ability to cast cantrips and 1st-level spells. As he attains higher levels, the Arcanist may gain the ability to cast more complex spells.

Bonus Languages
An Arcanist may substitute Draconic and Loross for one of the bonus languages available to the character because of his race.

Scribe Scroll

At 1st level, an Arcanist gains Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat.

Bonus Feats
At 5th level and every 5 levels after that until 20th level, an Arcanist gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity, he can choose a metamagic feat, an Item creation feat, Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus and Extra Spell (CArc). The Arcanist must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. The Arcanist is not limited to this list when choosing these feats.

Bonus Arcs
Just as common spellcasters receive bonus spells per day due to high ability scores, gifted Arcanists gain bonus arcs. To determine the number of bonus arcs gained from a high Intelligence score, first find the row for the Arcanist’s Int on table 1–4. Next, find the column for the highest level of spell the character is capable of casting based on his Arcanist level (even if he doesn’t have a high enough Int to cast spells of that level). At the point where the row and column intersect, you find the bonus arcs the character gains. This value can change each time his Int score undergoes a permanent change (such as from an acquired template, a wish spell, or due to character level) and each time his level changes.

How To Determine Bonus Arcs
Your key Int score grants you additional Arcs equal to your key ability modifier × your Caster level ×˝.

Table 1-4:Bonus Arcs per level
{table=head] Ability Score |
1st |
2nd |
3rd |
4th |
5th |
6th |
7th |
8th |
9th |
10th |
11th |
12th |
13th |
14th |
15th |
16th |
17th |
18th |
19th |
20th

10-11|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|
12-13|0|1|1|2|2|3|3|4|4|5|5|6|6|7|7|8|8|9|9|10|
14-15|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19 |20|
16-17|1|3|4|6|7|9|10|12|13|15|16|18|19|21|23|24|25|27 |28|30
18-19|2|4|6|8|10|12|14|16|18|20|22|24|26|28|30|32|34| 36|38|40|
20-21|2|5|7|10|12|15|17|19|22|25|27|30|32|35|37|40|42 |45|47|50
22-23|3|6|9|12|15|18|21|24|27|30|33|36|39|42|45|48|51 |54|57|60
24-25|3|7|10|14|17|21|24|28|31|35|38|42|45|49|52|56|5 9|63|66|70
26-27|4|8|12|16|20|24|28|32|36|40|44|48|52|56|60|64|6 8|72|76|80
28-29|4|9|13|18|22|27|31|36|40|45|49|54|58|63|67|72|7 6|81|85|90
30-31|5|10|15|20|25|30|35|40|45|50|55|60|65|70|75|80| 85|90|95|100
32-33|5|11|16|22|27|33|38|44|49|55|60|66|71|77|82|88| 93|99|104|110
34-35|6|12|18|24|30|36|42|48|54|60|66|72|78|84|90|96| 102|108|114|120
36-37|6|13|19|26|32|39|45|52|58|65|71|78|84|91|97|104 |110|117|123|130
38-39|7|14|21|28|35|42|49|56|63|70|77|84|91|98|105|11 2|119|126|133|140 [/table]

The Arcanist's Spellbooks and adding spells to it

An Arcanist must learn spells before he can cast them, and part of this process is scribing them into one of his Spellbooks.

An Arcanist begins play with a Spellbook containing all 0-level sorcerer/wizard spells from his major and minor fields, plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of Intelligence bonus the Arcanist has, the Spellbook holds one additional 1st-level spell of your choice. At each new Arcanist level, he gains two new spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new Arcanist level) to his Spellbook.

Arcanists can add new spells to their Spellbooks through several methods. An Arcanist can only learn new spells that belong to the wizard/Sorcerer spell lists.

Spells Gained at a New Level:

Arcanists perform a certain amount of spell research between adventures. Each time a character attains a new Arcanist level, he gains two spells of his choice to add to his Spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels he can cast. One of the two free spells must be from his specialty school.

Spells Copied from Another Spellbook or Scroll:

An Arcanist can also add a spell to his Spellbook whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another Arcanist's or Wizard's Spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the Arcanist must first decipher the magical writing. Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level). Arcanist gain a +2 spellcraft bonus to the spells under their field of specialization. If an Arcanist studies a spell and fails his Spellcraft check to learn it, that spell is out of his reach—forever. he can never attempt to learn the spell again, unless he receives an increased rank in Spellcraft, the use of Wish, Limited Wish, or Miracle or any other method (though it’s possible that Mystra or another deity of magic could bypass this restriction by placing the spell directly in the Arcanist’s mind).

Arcane Spells and Armor
Due to the particular and unique way that the Arcanist cast spells, the Arcanist's spells are casted as if they were all stilled. This does not affect caster level or spell level. This allows an Arcanist to cast spells while tied and bind, without Arcane Spell Failure, however while the Arcanist is gagged they may not cast spells unless they apply the Silent spell metamagic to them.

Arcanist
2012-10-11, 04:55 AM
Epic Arcanist

Hit Die
d4.

Skill Points
2 + Int modifier.
Table 1-5
{table=head]Level|
Special

21 |Epic Spellcasting
22 |
23 |
24 |Bonus Feat
25 |
26 |
27 |Bonus Feat
28 |
29 |
30 |Bonus Feat[/table]

Spellcasting: The Arcanist’s caster level is equal to his class level. The Arcanist’s base arcs do not increase after 20th level.

Unique Spells per day: The Epic Arcanist continues to gain to obtain Unique spells per day, albeit at a slower rate. At 25th caster level an Epic Arcanist gains an additional unique spell per day and then again every 5 more caster levels.

Weave Depth: The Epic Arcanist continues to gain access to greater depths of the weave, at 30th caster level and every 10 level thereafter, the Epic Arcanist gains access to an additional Weave Depth. So a 40th caster level Arcanist would have access to 12th level spells (either for metamagic use or through the use of an actual spell of that level). This is treated as gaining the Improved Spell Capacity feat for the sake of prerequisites.

Field Specialization: The base Spellcraft DC for developing and casting spells in the epic Arcanist’s major field of specialization is reduced by 10. he cannot develop or cast epic spells based on seeds from his restricted field. For the sake of Schools the Mythal seed is treated as apart of the Universal school of magic.

Epic Spellcasting: At 21st level, an Arcanist gains the Epic Spellcasting feat as a bonus feat. (See Epic Spellcasting)

Bonus feats: The epic Arcanist gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic Arcanist feats) at ever level divisible by 3 after 21st. This is in addition to any feat gained for leveling up

Epic Arcanist Bonus Feat List: Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Combat Casting, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Efficient Item Creation, Enhance Spell, Epic Extra Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Extra Spell, Forge Epic Ring, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spellcasting, Intensify Spell, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Scribe Epic Scroll, Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Tenacious Magic. In addition to the feats on this list, the Arcanist may select any item creation feat or metamagic feat not listed here.

Arcanist
2012-10-11, 04:56 AM
Epic Feats

Epic Spell Artisan[Epic]
You can develop epic spells with less expense in time and resources.
Prerequisites: Epic spellcasting, Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spellcraft 27 ranks. Knowledge (arcana) 27 ranks, ability to cast 10th-level arcane spells, 21st level Arcanist.
Benefits: When determining the cost of raw materials for researching an epic spell, you multiply the Spellcraft DC by 7,000 gp instead of the usual 9,000 gp and reduce the development time and XP cost accordingly.

Improved Spellcasting [Epic]
You increase your number of arcs.
Prerequisites: Caster level 21st, ability to cast 9th-level arcane spells.
Benefits: When you select this feat, you gain 19 arcs.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you do so, you gain an additional number of arcs equal to your previous benefit +2.

Weave Dependency [Epic]
You are able to apply much of the pressure of your Epic spells onto the Weave.
Prerequisites: Epic spellcasting, Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spellcraft 30 ranks. Knowledge (arcana) 30 ranks, ability to cast 10th-level arcane spells, 21st level Arcanist.
Benefits: When casting any Epic Spell, you gain a 10% competences bonus equal to the Spellcraft DC of the spell.
Special: This feat may only be taken pre-fall of Netheril (before -339DR), however an Arcanist transitioning from that point in time may change this feat for any other Epic feat for which they qualify.

Wavelab
2012-10-12, 07:41 PM
I like this very much. Power level wise it's a bit more powerful than a wizard in my opinion but from previous experience, tier 1 doesn't mean anything power wise.

How do you feel about class abilities for it?

Anyway, I'm book marking this, it's permanently replacing my wizard class.

Dante & Vergil
2012-10-12, 08:22 PM
Ah yes, the Arcanist, we meet again.
Do you know why this class knew all it's spells, and functioned completely differenlty from the normal arcane class of the time? It's because this was supposed to represent the raw power that the Netherese had before their fall.
Ofcourse, after reading through the class a little, you do know this.

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 09:10 PM
I like this very much. Power level wise it's a bit more powerful than a wizard in my opinion but from previous experience, tier 1 doesn't mean anything power wise.

How do you feel about class abilities for it?

Anyway, I'm book marking this, it's permanently replacing my wizard class.

Heh... So I take it you like it? :smallredface: Any recommendations to make it balance out more compared to the Wizard? The Arcanist is meant to be a Wizard thick and thin (albeit a little different) so I'd rather not add more Class features then their already are (Field Specialization, Bonus feats and Improved Spell Capacity). I was going to make the class start out with 2 spells memorized and then progress at 2 more per level, however at early levels this scales terrible making it only worth while to play at levels 12-20 (where it actually out cast the Psion)... Any recommendations? :smallsigh:

Ah yes, the Arcanist, we meet again.
Do you know why this class knew all it's spells, and functioned completely differenlty from the normal arcane class of the time? It's because this was supposed to represent the raw power that the Netherese had before their fall.
Ofcourse, after reading through the class a little, you do know this.

I own a hard copy of Netheril: Empire of Magic and am trying to get my hands on a few copies of other 2nd edition books (Dreams of the Red Wizards and Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves).

At the moment I'm trying to recreate a 3.5 Edition recreate of Netheril: Empire of Magic, however due to real life issues (School, Friends, Family, Significant Other) I'm kind of delayed on the project... I'm tried my hand at remaking the class with an idea I had after seeing how imbalanced the other remakes were :smallsmile:

Please, Keep them coming gentlemen. Hit me with your best shot :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Hmm... I'm examining that Dicefreak alternative to Epic Spellcasting... I'm intrigued at the method to creation level based spells :smallamused:

Wavelab
2012-10-12, 09:24 PM
Heh... So I take it you like it? :smallredface: Any recommendations to make it balance out more compared to the Wizard? The Arcanist is meant to be a Wizard thick and thin (albeit a little different) so I'd rather not add more Class features then their already are (Field Specialization, Bonus feats and Improved Spell Capacity). I was going to make the class start out with 2 spells memorized and then progress at 2 more per level, however at early levels this scales terrible making it only worth while to play at levels 12-20 (where it actually out cast the Psion)... Any recommendations? :smallsigh:

I find it to be good as it is. Yeah it has a bit more power than the wizard but that's because it should have, it's a Netherese Arcanist, so I wouldn't change anything.

I own a hard copy of Netheril: Empire of Magic and am trying to get my hands on a few copies of other 2nd edition books (Dreams of the Red Wizards and Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves).

At the moment I'm trying to recreate a 3.5 Edition recreate of Netheril: Empire of Magic, however due to real life issues (School, Friends, Family, Significant Other) I'm kind of delayed on the project... I'm tried my hand at remaking the class with an idea I had after seeing how imbalanced the other remakes were :smallsmile:

I'd like to see the completed project. :smallsmile:

Arcanist
2012-10-12, 10:05 PM
I find it to be good as it is. Yeah it has a bit more power than the wizard but that's because it should have, it's a Netherese Arcanist, so I wouldn't change anything.

Excellent :smallamused:

In the future my friend! :smallsmile: (most likely next spring...)

bobthe6th
2012-10-12, 11:22 PM
this looks like you could just make a prc... I mean, it is limited to one race, something no base class should be. Hell, a master specialist esque prestige class starting at level 4 would work...

Arcanist
2012-10-13, 12:26 AM
this looks like you could just make a prc... I mean, it is limited to one race, something no base class should be. Hell, a master specialist esque prestige class starting at level 4 would work...

I made the class have a base requirement for a race because of the nature of a class. It is supposed to be exclusive to Humans from Netherese, otherwise you would have Elves playing as Arcanist and it just wouldn't make sense, because fluff wise it would be... Silly :smalltongue:

For the sake of this homebrew I will remove it :smallsmile:

bobthe6th
2012-10-13, 11:43 PM
I made the class have a base requirement for a race because of the nature of a class. It is supposed to be exclusive to Humans from Netherese, otherwise you would have Elves playing as Arcanist and it just wouldn't make sense, because fluff wise it would be... Silly :smalltongue:

For the sake of this homebrew I will remove it :smallsmile:

base classes as a rule are meant to be fluffless, or at least the fluff is generic. Again, I would suggest a)making this racial substitution levels wizard for netheriese humans, or b)making it a prestige class for netheriese wizards.

Wavelab
2012-10-14, 01:38 AM
base classes as a rule are meant to be fluffless, or at least the fluff is generic. Again, I would suggest a)making this racial substitution levels wizard for netheriese humans, or b)making it a prestige class for netheriese wizards.

I actually think the race if fine as is, it's meant to be based on Netherese Arcanists who were trained from birth to be good, so changing it wouldn't make much sense.

Arcanist
2012-10-14, 10:18 PM
I actually think the race if fine as is, it's meant to be based on Netherese Arcanists who were trained from birth to be good, so changing it wouldn't make much sense.

I removed the racial requirement since the Terraseer is technically considered an Arcanist and everyone knows that he (they) isn't (aren't) human so eh...

It's all the same really. If you want to use the Arcanist class instead of a Wizard then it is completely reasonable to do so since in essence the Arcanist is a Wizard that uses the Spell point variant and is able to use Metamagic that require a 10th level spell slot much more easily.

In the long run I think I should just make it so that Caster level actually means something for this class beyond effecting how much damage a Fireball does and make it so that it can actually do something neat...

Hmm... Might make it so that Spells that deal damage based on on a # of dice can be augmented as a Psionic power can :smallsigh:

Arcanist
2012-10-14, 10:27 PM

Oh god... I just realized that I have to recreate the Netherese Priesthood... :smalleek:

This is going to take longer then I thought... Needing to divide all the Cleric spells into domains, bump them down to a 7th level spell progression limit and compose it all into a Spell point system progression :smallannoyed:

And then I have to re-organize all the spells into Domains, organize them under specific gods and then assign domains to deities... Hmm... might use that Cleric Spell point variant I saw once upon a moon (making adjustments of course) :smallamused:

Dante & Vergil
2012-10-15, 09:24 PM
Oh god... I just realized that I have to recreate the Netherese Priesthood... :smalleek:

This is going to take longer then I thought... Needing to divide all the Cleric spells into domains, bump them down to a 7th level spell progression limit and compose it all into a Spell point system progression :smallannoyed:

And then I have to re-organize all the spells into Domains, organize them under specific gods and then assign domains to deities... Hmm... might use that Cleric Spell point variant I saw once upon a moon (making adjustments of course) :smallamused:

Do you really have to bring the Clerics back to the domains and 7th level spells? Where the Netherese Priest that different from 3.X incarnations other than that? Personally, and this is only if they know and cast spells similar to the Arcanist, I'd stick with specific spells known for generic Clericness, and your Domain choices be not as focused as their are now, like the Death domain having Cleric Necromancy, (Death), and (Undead Creation[a new subtype for simplicities sake), under it's purview, adding those spells to your list. With other domains, or even this one, you don't have to stick to just the cleric list, but if you do go this route, limit to 1-3 spells each level for off-list spells.
Again, suggestion is only useful if this is how I think the class runs, so take it as you will.

Arcanist
2012-10-15, 09:37 PM
Do you really have to bring the Clerics back to the domains and 7th level spells? Where the Netherese Priest that different from 3.X incarnations other than that? Personally, and this is only if they know and cast spells similar to the Arcanist, I'd stick with specific spells known for generic Clericness, and your Domain choices be not as focused as their are now, like the Death domain having Cleric Necromancy, (Death), and (Undead Creation[a new subtype for simplicities sake), under it's purview, adding those spells to your list. With other domains, or even this one, you don't have to stick to just the cleric list, but if you do go this route, limit to 1-3 spells each level for off-list spells.
Again, suggestion is only useful if this is how I think the class runs, so take it as you will.

Clerics were much more under powered in Netheril. They didn't have a general Cleric spell list like they do in 3.X, they were simply stuck with their domains and thats it (not even granting Domain powers).

I'm tempted to just go with your idea on that matter, with allowing them access to spells under certain descriptors and schools of magic and assigning them to certain Gods, however the problem I mentally come back to is that certain domains will still trump other domains. I'd like to see a Cleric Domain fix to see if it would be even worth while to implement or adjust to my needs.

Obviously, I'll be making these casters Spell Point variants on the Psion progression. At the moment I'm considering just keeping the Cleric as is and putting them on that Spell Point Progression :smallannoyed:

ZippoMoon
2012-12-01, 01:27 PM
Someone forgot to post the table for bonus Arc's.

Kinsmarck
2012-12-02, 06:12 PM
Well put-together class, I'd say. I tried my hand at this a while back, but you've nailed it far more squarely than I did. I support the decision to eliminate the racial requirement. Terraseer(s) notwithstanding, techinically, by RAW, any of the Arcanists that have since become undead would no longer qualify for their own base class...which is silly.

Also, that way, the class can simply be refluffed for a different setting altogether.

Arcanist
2012-12-02, 08:07 PM
Someone forgot to post the table for bonus Arc's.

I fixed that when you mentioned it. Silly me :smallredface:

Well put-together class, I'd say. I tried my hand at this a while back, but you've nailed it far more squarely than I did. I support the decision to eliminate the racial requirement. Terraseer(s) notwithstanding, techinically, by RAW, any of the Arcanists that have since become undead would no longer qualify for their own base class...which is silly.

Also, that way, the class can simply be refluffed for a different setting altogether.

I liked making this class so much that I made it twice (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4017). I'll adjust the class to show the changes made there, but keep it for 3.5 (the 2nd one is made for Pathfinder and made to be much more powerful then it currently is).

ZippoMoon
2012-12-05, 04:13 PM
Hey something of note is because you took out the ability to use the extra spell feat to gain spells from the forbidden specialization that means that some things are now imposable, such as making an Iron Golem which use's spells from all three! And some DM's may chose to rule that you can't get anyone to help you enchant the Golem and in setting's that don't have the traditional Wizard class then the Arcanist can't even fall back on Manual's because those are magic items, and as such need all the spells to be made which are of coarse, as I've said impossible.

Arcanist
2012-12-12, 05:14 PM
Hey something of note is because you took out the ability to use the extra spell feat to gain spells from the forbidden specialization that means that some things are now imposable, such as making an Iron Golem which use's spells from all three! And some DM's may chose to rule that you can't get anyone to help you enchant the Golem and in setting's that don't have the traditional Wizard class then the Arcanist can't even fall back on Manual's because those are magic items, and as such need all the spells to be made which are of coarse, as I've said impossible.

It's not so much that I removed it as I simply forgot to add it back in :smalltongue: Another thing to note is that you can simply buy a scroll and use it for the production of the Golem since the Arcanist has Use Magic Device and the spells are still on there list of spells, they just can't cast them.

umbrapolaris
2013-04-13, 07:30 AM
Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves).

it will not give you much infos about the Netherese Arcanists class, just that the Nether Scrolls were stolen by High Mage elves and the scrolls transformed into a sentient golden tree giving arcane knowledge to those meditating on it...

Elves has a kind of dual specialist called Dualist.

mostly, a modern dual specialist wizard limited to one school and its opposite only !

they master only 2 schools, example : Illusion & Necromancy; gaining 2 bonus specialist spell/day; and some other benefits. Far less powerful than Arcanists but this is the entry to the High Mage , master of High Magic able to torn the world.

Silvernale
2013-04-13, 02:21 PM
Do love! I've always loved the whole Netherese history. Just for grins and giggles I made a 50th level Netherese character with her own enclave and stuff. This class suits so much better than the regular wizzy.

Arcanist
2013-04-13, 08:23 PM
it will not give you much infos about the Netherese Arcanists class, just that the Nether Scrolls were stolen by High Mage elves and the scrolls transformed into a sentient golden tree giving arcane knowledge to those meditating on it...

I am aware of the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar :smalltongue:

Personally, as far as obtaining knowledge from the Nether Scrolls, I'd rather travel back in time and read from them than go through the whole process of tracking down all the volumes.

Elves has a kind of dual specialist called Dualist.

mostly, a modern dual specialist wizard limited to one school and its opposite only !

they master only 2 schools, example : Illusion & Necromancy; gaining 2 bonus specialist spell/day; and some other benefits. Far less powerful than Arcanists but this is the entry to the High Mage , master of High Magic able to torn the world.

So... A Dual Specialized Wizard that bans two schools for each specialization... Might function better as an Alternate class feature then a class of its own :smallconfused:

I found a guy willing to part ways with his book and it's in the mail so I'll be getting it in a few weeks :smallbiggrin:

Do love! I've always loved the whole Netherese history. Just for grins and giggles I made a 50th level Netherese character with her own enclave and stuff. This class suits so much better than the regular wizzy.

Heh... Thanks :smallredface: I have been into the idea of Arcane Supremacy and when I got into D&D, we first started with D&D playing a FR game and eventually we started playing a Netherese Game using the Wizard class. I hated using the Wizard after finding about the Arcanist. After looking around on the internet I found Arcanist classes based on the Netherese and bam... The rest is as they say, history :smallsmile:

Silvernale
2013-04-13, 09:34 PM
I'd suggest at 20th level they get a capstone ability. Maybe something like this:

Netherese High Magic: At 20th level, the arcanist has attained their first step into becoming a legitimate archwizard. You gain access to 10th level weave depth (10th level spell slots) and are given an ornate grimoire containing Proctive's Move Mountain and the instructions for enchanting a mythallar (treat as a one-use item creation feat). Once your enclave is created, or at least flying, you are recognized as a fully-fledged archwizard and may continue your study of high arcana.

It makes a nice bridge into becoming epic level and keeps with the Netherese traditions.

Arcanist
2013-04-13, 10:44 PM
I'd suggest at 20th level they get a capstone ability. Maybe something like this:

Netherese High Magic: At 20th level, the arcanist has attained their first step into becoming a legitimate archwizard. You gain access to 10th level weave depth (10th level spell slots) and are given an ornate grimoire containing Proctive's Move Mountain and the instructions for enchanting a mythallar (treat as a one-use item creation feat). Once your enclave is created, or at least flying, you are recognized as a fully-fledged archwizard and may continue your study of high arcana.

It makes a nice bridge into becoming epic level and keeps with the Netherese traditions.

WELL, The Arcanist, as it is, already gains access to 10th level spells. For the Arcanist it doesn't stop at 9th level spells. It advances every 10 levels, granting Improved Spell Capacity as a bonus feat to gain an additional Weave Depth, etc.

I'm not going to make the Arcanist an automatic Archwizard at level 20 since it was effectively a choice to become an Archwizard. Becoming one was defined as an Arcanist who successfully severed a mountain from the ground, lifted it, inverted it and placed a Mythallar (that they do not necessarily HAVE to create) and creating an appealing city to attract citizens.

Whining Wizard
Prior to the dawn of the Golden Age, creating an Enclave was STILL difficult despite Ioulaum having created his Enclave and published his finding. It wasn't until the Spell, Proctiv's Move Mountain (in 1746 NY, aka THE GOLDEN AGE) was produced that it the Golden Age TRULY began.

To note: Ioulaum could NOT have created Xinlenal until after Chronomancer created the Reverse Gravity spell (during the Golden Age) and Yturn’s Levitation spell (Roughly 1,000 years after) since they are described as being used in his original method for Enclave creation.

Ignoring that BLARING hole in the History of Netheril (however hard that is for me), it is entirely possible for Ioulaum to have created his Enclave during the Mythallar Age (866 NY)... Ugh... My soul... :smallsigh:

Regardless of my whining and ranting I see no reason for the Arcanist to automatically be granted access to Epic Spell at 20th level. I might perhaps make it more reasonable to have it so that they can use 10th level Arcs (19 Arcs) to power an Epic level spell, if they know it (which they can't since it is an Epic feat and I plan to leave it that way).

umbrapolaris
2013-04-13, 11:31 PM
So... A Dual Specialized Wizard that bans two schools for each specialization... Might function better as an Alternate class feature then a class of its own :smallconfused:

in fact, the elves has a kind of philosophy with schools; you don't ban 6 schools but you choose to master 2 schools exclusively.

- Conjuration & Divination: those called Di-jakkar look upon magic and the Weave as a Great Tunnel connecting Toril to all other planes and worlds; they simply draw either ephemeral thoughts or actual things through the Great Tunnel.

these dualist gains improved specialist bonuses:

+2 spells/day per spell level
+2 new spells obtained at each new level of experience,
+2 to saves

etc...

Silvernale
2013-04-14, 01:03 AM
Well I just read a lot of Netheril stuff again today and it just feels like the goal of -every- arcanist is to become an archwizard. Plus if I understand it correctly, "epic" spells didn't even exist until -after- Karsus' Folly. Before that it was just spells exceeding 9th level. I'm not saying at 20th level they automatically become an archwizard, just that its the first steps to that goal. :smallsmile:

umbrapolaris
2013-04-14, 02:21 AM
yep, no epic spell, just extraordinary powerful spell of level 10+, for example "Karsus Avatar" (the spell that destroyed him and Mystril) is a 12th level spell.

Archwizard is just a title when they are able to create their own floating enclave. It doesn't give much more benefit other than renown.

Arcanist
2013-04-14, 03:12 AM
in fact, the elves has a kind of philosophy with schools; you don't ban 6 schools but you choose to master 2 schools exclusively.

- Conjuration & Divination: those called Di-jakkar look upon magic and the Weave as a Great Tunnel connecting Toril to all other planes and worlds; they simply draw either ephemeral thoughts or actual things through the Great Tunnel.

these dualist gains improved specialist bonuses:

+2 spells/day per spell level
+2 new spells obtained at each new level of experience,
+2 to saves

etc...

Interesting... I can understand how the bonus spells per day and the bonus spells per level work, but I don't understand the Saves. Perhaps, I'll learn more once I get my book. :smalltongue:

Well I just read a lot of Netheril stuff again today and it just feels like the goal of -every- arcanist is to become an archwizard. Plus if I understand it correctly, "epic" spells didn't even exist until -after- Karsus' Folly. Before that it was just spells exceeding 9th level. I'm not saying at 20th level they automatically become an archwizard, just that its the first steps to that goal. :smallsmile:

Epic spells did exist prior to the Fall of Netheril, however the Netherese largely abandoned them upon the discovery of the Nether Scrolls (LoEF Page 43 "Mystra's Ban and Epic Magic"). Not every Arcanist dreamed of becoming an Archwizard, but I'm not going to deny I'd be hardpressed to find one who didn't want to be one. I'd also like to note that there were Arcanist who founded Enclaves that weren't Flying Enclaves (Deep Netheril was entirely made up of Enclaves that were, quite literally, Underground and certain Enclaves on Low Netheril did in fact exist, but were ironically enough still on top of Mountains for the most part.)

Getting back to Epic Spells. After the discovery of the Nether Scrolls, it was mostly associated with the Fair Folk (Elves).

Archwizard is just a title when they are able to create their own floating enclave. It doesn't give much more benefit other than renown.

So a +2 renown bonus if you are playing with that subsystem? A +2 leadership bonus? To be completely blunt there aren't many benefits for being an Archwizard beyond just being incredibly awesome amongst the Academic community in Netheril (and to be quite fair everywhere after the Fall, considering how valued ancient Netherese knowledge is worth post-fall).

You can accomplish, for the most part, all of the benefits of being an Archwizard without creating a Floating Enclave. If you would like for me to create rules for creating an Enclave (floating or otherwise), I'd be quite honored to perform the task :smallredface:

ZippoMoon
2013-04-14, 10:34 AM
If you would like for me to create rules for creating an Enclave (floating or otherwise), I'd be quite honored to perform the task :smallredface:

YES! YES! YES!

Silvernale
2013-04-14, 12:27 PM
I put together an enclave mixing the magiteck/gramarie rules with the original stuff. It has redundant mythallars just in case, as well as adding in the eldrakinetic engines so it can move and "dimensional" engine so it can planeshift, a geoccult pole to keep it warm in winter and at high altitudes, the arcanodynamic solar absorption which provides additional power to the city and a few heuristicism logic circuits to control and maintain various systems.

Arcanist
2013-04-14, 05:01 PM
YES! YES! YES!

... So I take it you like that idea? :smallredface: WELL I have some thoughts, but first I need to finish a paper for school.

I put together an enclave mixing the magiteck/gramarie rules with the original stuff. It has redundant mythallars just in case, as well as adding in the eldrakinetic engines so it can move and "dimensional" engine so it can planeshift, a geoccult pole to keep it warm in winter and at high altitudes, the arcanodynamic solar absorption which provides additional power to the city and a few heuristicism logic circuits to control and maintain various systems.

Ooooo kay? :smallconfused: While I do have some ideas for allowing a Spellcaster to gain Gramarie through spellcasting. Like a 3rd level spell that grants 2 Principles of Baccalaureate, a 6th that grants 4 Principles of Magisterial or lower rank and finally a 9th that grants 6 principles of Doctorate or lower rank. You must Qualify for the principles using your caster level as your Gramarist level. The spells last for 1 day/CL.

JUST SOME THOUGHTS OF COURSE :smallbiggrin:

Silvernale
2013-04-14, 05:12 PM
Well to be honest she was way epic level for a campaign that may or may not actually happen. She is arcanist 20 / gramarist 20 / Netherese archwizard 10, all classes drawn from the homebrew section. :smallsmile:

umbrapolaris
2013-04-14, 09:42 PM
the +2 was a save bonus against spells from their mastered schools.

Arcanist
2013-04-19, 10:12 AM
Notes
I tried to replicate this in the form of Epic Spellcasting and the Business rules. Thoughts, commentary, love, hate?

Founding an Enclave

Upon attain Epic level an Arcanist has the option of becoming an Archwizard which is to found an enclave for the exclusive purpose of research and development of magical items, spells and the such on a massive scale. No two Enclaves will (or should) ever be the same so it would be wise to consult your DM before designing your Enclave.

There are three different kinds of Enclaves that existed during the Age of Netheril.

Creating a Mythallar

Ioulaum's Imbue Mythallar
Evocation
Spellcraft DC: 42
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 100 days, 20 minutes (8/day)
Range: 30ft.
Area: 1 mile diameter (5280ft.)
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

To Develop: 423,000gp; 9 days; 16,920xp, Seeds: Mythal (DC 25), Factors: Major Prevolent Power: Items created under Mythal's effects have no XP cost, but function only within its bounds (50,000gp) (+50 DC), Increase area by 5,180% (+207 DC), Mitigating Factors: Capstone (-20 DC), +10 minute casting time (-20 DC), +100 day casting time (-200 DC)

It is unknown how Ioulaum originally created his Mythallar some believe that Mystryl sent the visions of its design down to him as he slept one dark night while others believe that Ioulaum managed to attain a level of divinity and that his divine power allowed him to create this item. The origin of this creation process is still up to speculated to this very day...

The act of casting this spell resembles more along the lines of Item creation rather then actual spellcasting. Its function was a simple one—it converted raw magic from the Weave and sent that power throughout an enclave to provide the magical energies required for the continued operation of quasimagical items. Every enclave contained at least one mythallar-especially since the mythallar was absolutely necessary to keep the city afloat.

The mythallar had an effective range of one mile. Therefore, if an enclave was larger than one mile in diameter, it had to have more than one mythallar.

When a quasimagical device was within the effect of the mythallar, it gained the ability to use the magical powers that had been imbued into it. Outside the area‚ quasimagical devices ceased to function as magical devices.

Surface: Prior to the creation of the Mythallar, this type of Enclave was obviously the most common to encounter. Due to their vulnerability to raiding parties from Orcs they eventually faded out of practice for the Soaring Enclave. Such an Enclave does not require a Mythallar, however such an Enclave has penalties attached to it.

The Netherese were a northern people who were forced to brave the cold. Eventually they developed to the point and attained a mastery over the Arts to the point where they could permanently alter the climate. This is in my opinion one of the most groundbreaking spells for the Netherese I've ever redeveloped for 3.5 next to the Mythallar spell. Being able to alter the terrain to suit your needs is what magic should be about... At least in my opinion.

Mavin's Worldweave
Evocation (Netherese) [Weather]
Spellcraft DC: 125
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 0ft
Area: 2 mile
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: None

Development: 1,125,000gp; 23 days; 45,000xp ;Seeds: Energy (DC 25); Factors: Permanent (x5).

The Worldweave allowed an Archwizard to change the weather patterns of a large parcel of land until dispelled. Throughout Netheril’s existence, this spell was used hundreds of times to stay the effects of the polar ice in its northern borders. This gave Netheril’s land a temperate climate instead of one more suited for its placement on the globe—a subarctic climate. With a single cast, the Archwizard was able to change the climate of an area by one grade—either up or down. Refer to the table below to determine the grade changes possible. It was possible to change the climate more than one step, but multiple castings of Mavin’s Worldweave were required.

{table=head] | Tropic |
Subtropic |
Temperate |
Subarctic

Arctic | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
Subarctic | 3 | 2 | 1 | —
Temperate | 2 | 1 | — | 1
Subtropic | 1 | — | 1 | 2
[/table]

Soaring: Originally designed by Ioulaum and improved upon by thousands of years of practice into the Arts by following Archwizards, the Soaring Enclave was the most well known Enclave. Creation of this variation was only feasible by the Mythallar and a series of spells use in conjunction with it.

This spell has always bothered me the most of the 3.5 Epic Netherese Spells, baring the most redundant mechanics out of any magical item and completely removing of spell components. It should require a Mythallar for the spell to even be performable by any Archwizard. So I politely offer this variation to the spell that is much less ridiculous TO ME.

The Permanent factor is unnecessary, but I will keep it in for simplicities sake, however considering that it will be using a Mythallar as a focus (x1/5) it should balance itself out and effectively stop functioning should, say a Goddess of Magic die.

Proctiv's Move Mountain
Transmutation (Netherese)
Spellcraft DC: 54
Components: S, V, F, XP
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: 1 mile
Target: Mountain (rough cone of earth, 1 mile tall and 1 mile in radius at the base)
Saving Throw: None

Development: 504,000gp; 11 days; 20,160xp, Seeds: Transform (DC 21), Transport (to move mountain into the air, DC 27). Factors: Increase Range (+34 DC), Hardness of Stone (+4 DC), Increase mass of Transport (ad hoc +40 DC), Make Transport permanent (x5). Mitigating Factors: Mythallar as Focus (X1/5) Increase casting time (-20 DC), Burn 5,000xp (-50 DC).

You sheer off the top of a mountain, levitate it into the air, and invert it, creating a floating mass of earth with a smooth surface suitable for construction. The ancient Archwizards of Netheril use this spell to creating their famous floating Enclaves. You can control the movement, both vertically and horizontally, of the floating mountain.

This spell remains active only as long as the Mythallar focus remains in tact, otherwise this spell is immediately dispelled and the Enclave falls towards gravity.

XP Cost:
5,000 XP.

Deep: The Fall of Netheril bought about an all greater fall for the Netherese. Their people, who once proudly sailed the skies atop mountains were now forced to dwell under the ground associating with Drow, Gnomes, and other creatures the Netherese once called their enemies and slaves. Eventually without the mighty power of Archwizardry and a massive series of unfortunate events the Netherese died out, save for a few shades, ghost and other Undead who still proudly declare their now dead heritage...

This is the most tragic part of the Netherese History. Once they were men and women who cloaked themselves in the veils of Godhood only to fall and taste the bitter pain of mortality... Despite all of this I still desired for the magical traditions of Netheril to not be forgotten. Despite the Fall, I would like to believe that the Netherese still held to their beliefs and arts until the end, however with the existence of the Halruaa that is a dead dream :smallfrown:

Mavin's Earthfast
Transmutation (Netherese)
Spellcraft DC: 57
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 1 mile
Target: Cave (rough area of earth, 1 mile high and 1 mile in radius from the casters location)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: None

Development: 513,000gp; 11 days; 20,520xp. Transform (DC 21). Factors: Increase Hardness by 100 (+50 DC), Increase area by 1,760% (+36 DC). Mitigating Factors: Expensive Material components (125,000gp) (-50 DC).

This spell was initially created to allow further mining of areas that were too dangerous to work otherwise. By casting the Earthfast spell, large areas of underground tunnels became impervious to cave-ins and other similar catastrophes, the magic supporting the ceiling so that additional mining could continue. The spell was also used for other purposes, since it also drastically halted the weathering of city streets and buildings. Many cities sought out Archwizards who would cast the Earthfast spell to preserve important areas of their community. The material components for this spell were a stone of controlling Earth Elementals, Six Chardalyns (each of which was imbued with a transmute mud to rock spell), and an Earth Elemental. All of the components were consumed during casting.

Material Components:
A Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals, Six Chardalyns (each of which was imbued with a transmute mud to rock spell), and an Earth Elemental all of which costing 125,000gp.

Designing your Enclave
Every Enclave, regardless of the presence of a Mythallar, was on average a mile in radius. Often this was wild and untamed lands and as such the land was free to any Archwizard who could clear the lands around it and perform the necessary spells.

The largest problem for creating an Enclave was in the form of attracting citizens to your city. When founding your Enclave you must consult the tables below. Because of the unique structure of an Enclave, the city is never treated below a "Large Town" regardless of it's Attraction Modifier.

Productivity: A Netherese Enclave serves three purposes for an Archwizard.

To provide like minded individuals a peaceful place to work away from those who do not understand or fear magic.

To improve the Archwizard's ego and gain more prestige amongst the Academics of Netheril.

And most importantly, provide a steady flow of income to fund the Archwizard's research.

Yes, a productive Archwizard is the most dangerous kind of Archwizard. Long ago the Netherese realized that it is far easier to tax people and earn gold from willing subjects than to hunt down the occasional Dragon and steal from their hoard and thus the Enclave system was developed. Every 3 tendays (or once a Month), the Archwizard may perform a productivity check (see table 1-6) and earn the listed gold; If an Archwizard also runs a business they may add their Enclave's Attraction Modifier to their Profit check whenever they should make one.

An Enclave's Attraction modifier is, by default, 0.

Table 1-6
{table=head] City Equivalent | Attraction Score | Productivity | Population Size | Renown
Large Town | Less than 5 | 1d4 * 500gp | 5000 or less | +2
Small City | 6-15 | 2d4 * 500gp | 5001 - 12,000 | +4
Large City | 15- 30 | 3d4 * 500gp | 12,001 - 25,000 | +6
Metropolis | 31-40 | 4d4 * 500gp | 25,001 or more | +8
[/table]

When designing an Enclave the creator must allocate a large portion of gold pieces towards it's construction by selecting features from table 1-7. You must be able to fully pay for the entire production of the Enclave, often this is a tremendous task for any one Arcanist to perform, even with their Magic, so it is not uncommon for a cabal of Arcanist to perform this task together. These cabals do not often last long since the Arcanist fall into infighting each other for leadership over the Enclave.

At any point after completion, the Enclave can be expanded upon.

Table 1-7
{table=head] Features | Cost in Gold Pieces | Attraction modifier
Small City1 | +500,000gp | +5
Large City1 | +1,000,000gp | +10
Metropolis1 | +2,000,000gp | +15
Small College2 | +50,000gp | +1
Large College2 | +100,000gp | +2
Small temple2 | +50,000gp | +1
Large Temple2 | +100,000gp | +2
Mosque2 | +500,000gp | +3
Exotic features3 | +50,000gp | +2
Magical Architecture3 | +100,000gp | +3
Mythallar4 | +Cost of creation | +2 (-2 if not included), Doubles Productivity
Deep5 | +0 | -3
Souring | +0 | +5 (-∞ if the Enclave lacks a Mythallar)
Archwizard has Leadership | +0 | +1/4 Leadership Score
Archwizard has Business Savvy | +0 | +1[/table]

{table=head] Note
1: May only be selected once. Enclave size may only be selected once after which you may pay for additional increases in size. These bonuses do not stack with each other.
2: May be selected multiple times.
3: These may only be selected once.
4: Additional Mythallars do not stack for productivity, however they do increase the cities Attraction modifier.
5: If you do not select a city size, this becomes the default setting for your Enclave. A Deep Enclave does not require much for it's construction since most of it's desired effects can be obtained through the Archwizard casting spells to build structures.[/table]

Declaring an Heir
Remember that time you realized that your father was an Evil Tyrant and that you have an Evil Twin brother whose name is yours spelled backwards? This is sort of like that, except 10 times worse.

An Enclave without an Archwizard is the single worst place to be in all of Netheril, because it is vulnerable for conquest by raiders, enemy nations and potentially much worse, another Archwizard. If you die while in leadership of an Enclave, your Enclave becomes a Rogue Enclave ripe for conquest. Often this is not the case since most Archwizards are wise enough to place an Heir to take their place should the worst occur.

Declaring someone your Heir is simple in that you must publicly declare in front of no less than 200 Citizens of your Enclave and a Judge, that an Arcanist (or other Spellcaster) that you select is your direct heir.

Should an Enclave become a Rogue Enclave apply the following penalties to it:

The Enclave is unable to perform a Productivity check.
The Enclave begins to take a cumulative -1 penalty to it's Attraction Score for every week it remains a Rogue Enclave. Should the Attraction Score reach 0 the Enclave is whipped off the map and removed entirely.

Silvernale
2013-04-19, 02:06 PM
*squeee*

Erm.. So what would be the "typical" population size for the standard 1 mile diameter enclave? And what would be the popluation size fora 10 mile diameter enclave?

ZippoMoon
2013-04-19, 04:38 PM
http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw2822_medium.jpg

http://lilolia.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/overlord2.jpg

LET IT BEGIN!

Arcanist
2013-04-19, 06:59 PM
*squeee*

Erm.. So what would be the "typical" population size for the standard 1 mile diameter enclave? And what would be the population size fora 10 mile diameter enclave?

The size of your Enclave is irrelevant. What matters is how appealing your Enclave is. I suppose I could implement some features to include an increase in size.

I'd like to ask your thoughts about the Epic spells (Specifically the spells by Mavin) I included in each listing and a little constructive criticism :smallsmile:

I remember seeing someone make an Epic spell called Karsus' Folly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10442) a while browsing the forum for some old Epic spells and the like. I thought the concept was nice really friken cool. Hell even the 2nd Edition concept of a spell that allowed a mortal man to become a God was amazing in and of itself. I decided to toss my hat into the ring and try it for myself to see if I could get it right or even accurate.

Of course Ad hocs are necessary (I hate adding those btw), but ultimately it attains my vision of the spell :smallsmile:

Karsus' Avatar

Transmutation/Divination/Enchantment (Netherese, Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Spellcraft DC: 358
Components: V, S, F, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Unlimited
Target: One God
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Development: 3,222,000gp; 3,717 days; 128,880 xp; Seeds: Contact (DC 23), Compel (DC 19), Transform (DC 21); Factors: Contact without common language (+4), Forcefully establish contact with unwilling target (ad hoc +5), Increase Saving throw DC by 100 (+200), Increase Caster level against SR by 100 (+200), Merge body and mind with target creature (ad hoc +20), Attack creature regardless of Immunities (ad hoc +50) Permanent (x5); Mitigating Factors: Eileanar Mythallar or standard Mythallar (x1/5), Increase development time by 3,652 days (10 years) (-731), Expensive Material Component (375,000gp) (-150), Burn 2,000xp (-20), Increase casting time to 1 day (-20).

Karsus spent well over a decade researching this spell. It was so complex that he had to use a stone-filled gizzard of a gold dragon and part of the epidermis of the pituitary gland of the Tarrasque just to enchant one of the material components of the spell.

This spell allowed the caster to become a god of his choosing, by melding minds and body with their target. The caster and the God both have effective control over the merged body, however ultimately the caster has complete control over the process. The God is entitled to a saving throw each time they desire to perform an action. Should the God succeed that saving throw, the next round worth of actions is to be dictated by the God, however if the God fails the saving throw the Caster gets those actions.

The notes regarding this spell were recently rediscovered floating across the edges of Realmspace in the form of a colossal Asteroid, marked with this spells formula. This confirms the myth that Mystra, the reincarnated form of Mystryl, snatched the spell information from the ruins of Karsus’s enclave and sent it on an eternal journey to the ends of the universe.

Despite this spell having been recently rediscovered, attempting to cast it is impossible through Mystra's Weave as well as with Shar's Shadow Weave. The only possible way for casting this spell would be by forging the requisite raw Arcane energy, laying behind both weaves.

Material Components:
The Stone filled Gizzard of Gold Dragon with 10 levels in Dragon Ascendant, The Pituitary Gland of a Paragon Tarrasque, The Blessed heart of a Balor, The Stolen Horn of a Legendary Unicorn [Monster of Legend], The eye of a Duke of Hell, and The Brain of a Psionic creature with an Intelligence of at least 28, all of which costing 375,000gp.

Focus:
Eileanar Enclave Mythallar or a Mythallar

XP cost:

The material components were to be taken from creatures that can be considered Epic threats to any PC trying to cast this spell. I decided to alter some material components because tragically at Epic level the Tarrasque and a standard Gold Dragon do not even pose a threat to the PCs. The reason for the Balors heart is because it is... WELL it's difficult to get without the damned thing exploding in your face. Getting a Duke of Hell's eye is a reference to the Devil's eye material component in Complete Mage, only expanded into Epic level. The Brain can be from any Psionic creature, but I personally recommend the Elder Brain or a Wyrm or higher Topaz Dragon.

BUT YEAH! Gathering the material components for this spell can be an Epic Campaign in and of itself. My personal favorite compliment to the spell is that it requires the Eileanar Mythallar (which is impossible to obtain short of Time Travel and jacking the enclave itself) so I added in the feature to require a standard Mythallar as an alternative. I don't like giving permission to PCs, especially epic ones, to time travel :smallannoyed:

It could potentially lead to an interesting encounter with Karsus should you allow the Pcs to time travel. Perhaps he takes a liking to them? Or they have to fight him for the use of the Mythallar? Or must be sent to perform a quest for him? :smallsmile:

Silvernale
2013-04-20, 12:30 PM
Well the epic spells seem great, although IIRC Karsus' Avatar was only ever known by Karsus and Mystra totally banned that spell. For time travelling, there is this spell:

Ninth-Level Spell: Time Conduit
(Transmutation) [chronomancy]
Range: 30 feet Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: see below
Special Saving Throw: None
Upon casting this spell, a shimmering golden portal appears somewhere close to the caster (though the caster has no idea where the portal appears). The 10-foot circular opening appears to lead into a long tunnel filled with silvery-blue flashes of light. Creatures that gaze into the tunnel for more than one round begin to see glimpses of their past cascading past the walls of the tunnel, though these memories cause no damage. The portal remains for one round per level of the wizard or until the caster enters the conduit, whichever occurs first.
During casting, the wizard names the age and year that the time conduit is to transport those who enter it. For example, a wizard who wanted to visit Netheril around the time of Karsus’s birth would state: “During the Shadowed Age of Netheril, in the year 3163 NY.” Creatures entering the time conduit spell are immediately stripped of all magical items and memorized spells (though spell books and scrolls remain; psionics are likewise depleted, though they return at the normal rate). In addition, items that do not yet exist in the time are removed, such as full-plate armor, arquebuses, and most gnomish inventions. Stripped items are stored in the conduit and are returned during the voyage home to the time travelers (but the return trip likewise strips travelers of items they have collected during their stay, creating a storehouse on each end of the conduit where time travelers can leave their belongings).
Spells that do not exist in the current age appear as blank pages in a spellcaster’s spell book. Scrolls that do not yet exist in the current time are likewise blank. Blank pages return to normal when the time traveler returns to his own time or when the spell becomes available during his stay in the new time (such as by it being created during the year in which they’re in the past). There is never a way to determine the precise destination when using a time conduit spell. The only thing for certain is that the time travelers appear somewhere in the lands that they seek. For example, travelers entering Netheril might appear in the southern city of Thiefsward or they might appear as far north as Coldfoot. They might even appear on the High Ice or somewhere deep in the Eastern Forest.
Time travelers always arrive during the festivities celebrating the new year; they always return to their own times during the final night of the year. These are the times when the mystical energies and the forces of time are most powerful on Toril. Nothing can prevent a time traveler from being drawn into the time conduit at the close of the year, even spells that negate magic or shield against its effects. Upon returning to their own time, creatures discover that one month has passed since they left (though they have still aged one full year). Also, time travelers cannot exist more than once in a particular time-once a traveler time-travels to a particular year, he can never return to that year again. Any attempt to do so simply fails, and the caster is instead hurled 1d100 years into a random time and place.
The material components for this spell are three scales from three differently aligned ancient dragons (one from each), the dust from a slain time elemental, soil from the destination land for the time conduit spell (in Netheril’s case, sand from Anauroch works well), and knowledge of the age and time to be visited. The physical components are consumed during the casting (the knowledge remains).

umbrapolaris
2013-04-20, 10:43 PM
Well the epic spells seem great, although IIRC Karsus' Avatar was only ever known by Karsus and Mystra totally banned that spell.

and by me :smalltongue:

Necromancy (Drain)
Spellcraft DC: 167
Components: V, M, Ritual, XP
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: One World
Area: One Deity
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
To Develop: 5,220,000 gp; 105 days; 208,800 XP. Seed: usurp (DC 33). Factor: +25 Saving Throw DC (+25 DC). Factor: permanent (x5 DC). Factor: change duration from permanent to instantaneous (x2 DC) Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18 DC), burn 20,000 XP (-200 Dc), Ritual 1 additional caster minimum Weave Depth 21st (-62), Must perform god’s duties (Ad Hoc -20), Rare Component; Pituitary Gland of the Tarasque (-2 Dc), Rare Component; Great Wyrm Gold Dragon Heart (-2 Dc), Weakness: The original god can sacrifice their life to sever their connection to your power and take all 2/3’s of their divine ranks and bestow them upon a mortal of their choice (Ad Hoc -20), Backlash Damage: 90d6 (-90 DC)

This spell permanently makes the caster a god, by stealing the divinity and portfolio of an existing deity. If the Deities Saving Throw fails then the caster permanently adopts all their divine ranks, and portfolio leaving the deity as a Rank 0 godling permanently. Once cast this effect is no longer magical and cannot be dispelled or reversed. The godling whose portfolio was stolen can partially reverse the effect with a heroic sacrifice (see above).
XP Cost: 20,000 XP.

Arcanist
2013-04-21, 12:42 AM
Well the epic spells seem great, although IIRC Karsus' Avatar was only ever known by Karsus and Mystra totally banned that spell.

I never detailed that anyone else knew the Spell beyond whoever discovers it. Mystra knows it, Karsus knows it and whoever is willing to Spelljam out to a tiny Asteroid in space that you've never seen, cannot see and will probably never see CAN know it. Regardless of all of this, under Mystra's Ban such a spell would be invalid to cast IF it is casted through the Weave or through Shar's Shadow Weave.

Casting this spell isn't... Easy without Mystra just using her Deny Weave SDA.

As for Time Travel? This might be what you're looking for. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b)

and by me :smalltongue:

I'm confused by your spells formula.

Making a Custom Spell Seed is as such:

10 + Lowest possible spell level + (Spellcraft = minimum level for a Spontaneous caster to know it)

I'm not sure what the Usurp seed is supposed to be based on. Explain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlpRBLkgcBo). :smallconfused:

umbrapolaris
2013-04-21, 08:41 AM
i didn't wrote it, i copy it from a source i forgot where , it's why i quoted it.

usurp seed

SEED: Usurp
Necromancy (Drain)
Spellcraft DC: 33
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: One World
Target: One Deity
Duration: 6 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates
If the deity in question fails their save then for the duration of the spell they are stripped of all their Divine Ranks (They are considered Divine Rank 0) and the caster temporarily gains them. The caster gains all the benefits associated with the Divine Ranks they have usurped.

(source unknown)

Silvernale
2013-04-22, 02:25 PM
Ah well I just pulled that time spell out of a 2nd Ed FR book.

Noxsis
2013-09-30, 09:39 PM
I know this is an old thread but since the arcanist class I was using on dicefreaks is gone with the site now :smallfrown: I was hoping you could create a pathfinder version of the arcanist on this site. Please and Thank you.

Arcanist
2013-10-01, 01:11 PM
This thread is actually a wee bit younger than the one that was on Dicefreak and has more modifications that I put into it. Honestly? I like this one more.

Having said that, Sure! Why not? After I get back from class I should be able to do take a crack at it and I didn't actually apply some changes that I wanted to it, which bothers me.

Exthalion
2014-04-15, 10:33 PM
So I am going to be using this class, hopefully, in a game soon and I took the time to update the tables to the new format:

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Arcs/day
Unique Spells/day
Weave Depth

1st
+0
+0