PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] De-Hydra [Creature] [Variant] [P.E.A.C.H.]

DracoDei
2012-10-11, 02:45 PM
Dehydra
As per Pyro/Cryo Hydra (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hydra.htm) with the following changes:
Environment: Desert

These yellowish hydras can breathe jets of magical dehydration which evaporate moisture from the body of each creature struck. These jets are barely visible as shimmers in the air. Each jet is 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds. Each jet deals 3d6 points of damage* (similar to the damage from Horrid Wilting) per head against most creatures. This breath weapon is especially devastating to water elementals and plant creatures, which instead take 3d8 points of damage per jet. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 10 + ½ hydra’s original number of heads + hydra’s Con modifier.

Dehydra's are immune to fire and thus fire attacks cannot prevent a dehydra’s stump from growing new heads. However applying at least one gallon of water to the stump, or any attack that would deal at least 1 point of acid damage to the stump (before considering resistances or immunities) prevents it from growing a new head.

Dehydra's are also immune to acid, but see above.

*This damage is dessication damage for anyone using that/those particular splat-book(s).

Just something that has been kicking around in my brain for a while. Trying to break out of a funk in my life overall, so I am doing this now.

Tanuki Tales
2012-10-11, 03:29 PM
Since these are a desert hydra breed, why don't they deal dessication damage?

DracoDei
2012-10-11, 06:22 PM
Since these are a desert hydra breed, why don't they deal dessication damage?
:smallyuk::smallamused:They do. I just don't happen to own the desert splat-book, so I am not using that term.

I will rephrase, and put in a footnote for those who happen to own that splat-book.

gr8artist
2014-09-10, 12:22 PM
Found this enjoyable. My one problem is that you've failed to clarify the notoriously ambiguous wording from the pyro/cryo-s.
Each jet deals X damage per head. So 3 heads would deal a total of 9x(3d6) damage, and 4 would deal 16x(3d6).

Debihuman
2014-09-20, 06:45 AM
I like these.Alternative monster features are always good to surprise PCs who become jaded. Best of luck getting out of your funk as well.

Debby

DracoDei
2014-09-20, 03:27 PM
I like these.Alternative monster features are always good to surprise PCs who become jaded. Best of luck getting out of your funk as well.

Debby

Given that this was over a year ago, I'm out of THAT funk. OTHER funks occur with above-average frequency, but THAT funk is long gone.