PDA

View Full Version : Earthscraper

Johel
2012-10-14, 07:58 AM
Hello, Playgrounders,

I stumbled upon this :
Earth Scraper (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/27/tech/innovation/earthscraper-mexico-fantasy-reality/index.html)

It is a project to build a inverted pyramid under Mexico City.
The whole venture is already 1 year old and the article points several possible problems.
Yet, the concept sounds cool and I was thinking about using it in an RP I'm involved on another board.
But not knowing much about architecture and engeneering, I'd like first to get a little more understanding about the pros and cons.

What would be the advantages over skyscrapers ?
What would be the disadvantages over skyscrapers ?
What would be the main challenges (bringing light and air, evacuating water, managing earthquakes...) and how could we handle it ?
In opposition to the "how high" of the skyscrapers, how deep could we go and what would be the main parameters to consider ?
If offered to rent/buy an appartement in such a complex, would you go for it ? Yes, no ? Why ?

Thank you all in advance for your input.:smallsmile:

scurv
2012-10-14, 08:43 AM
A little on enclosed space entry first
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confined_space

First If the O2 content of your breathing air gets to far below 20ish percent...people die. So the air system would need to be able to force air into all parts of the structure (This why why they pump air into manhole covers before work). BTW alot of nasty gass's are heavier than our breathing air.

So back up power to the structure would be needed to ensure air movement.

Flood hazards would need to be addressed.

Maintenance of the Building/Earth barrier would need to be addressed.

But as for power distribution that should not be an issues...
Although how to handle waste water might be a concern. Perhaps it could be collected and converted/processed/turned into power in a plant at the bottom of the facility, Otherwise it would need to be pumped up.

I know some of the air issues are addressed in submarine design, But I can not go into that.

And William yes I would rent an apartment in there!

Ravens_cry
2012-10-14, 08:52 AM
Heating costs would potentially be lower. Ventilation seems like it is going to be a doozy, but nothing that hasn't been done before in mines. I don't know if this is a better or worse idea as far as Earthquakes, my untrained instincts going both ways, but largely toward better. Waterproofing could be a potential problem.

nedz
2012-10-14, 09:55 AM
IIRC Mexico City was built on top of a lake, so, ... water.

Melayl
2012-10-15, 08:56 AM
Ventilation, Fire, Flood, and Light would be my concerns. I'm not sure I could live in such a building. Maybe on the shallow floors.

Aliquid
2012-10-15, 06:26 PM
Here is another example of someone doing something similar
missile bunker homes (http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jun/02-finally-home-where-you-can-enjoy-post-apocalypse/?searchterm=bunker missile)

Kneenibble
2012-10-16, 10:47 AM
The very thought of a building that far underground that gets smaller the deeper you go, especially in a place as crowded as Mexico City, inflames my claustrophobia past a safe limit. I would not set so much as a toe in such a place.

Slipperychicken
2012-10-19, 11:45 PM
5. Mexico is in absolutely terrible condition right now (corruption, gang violence, poverty, etc.)... you couldn't pay me to live there.

Haruki-kun
2012-10-20, 12:30 AM
IIRC Mexico City was built on top of a lake, so, ... water.

This is correct. I do not know to what extent it would be an issue, though. the city is quite extensive.

Heating costs would potentially be lower.

Heating tends to be less of an issue that far south. :smalltongue: But yes, you're right.

The very thought of a building that far underground that gets smaller the deeper you go, especially in a place as crowded as Mexico City, inflames my claustrophobia past a safe limit. I would not set so much as a toe in such a place.

This I agree with. Truthfully, an apartment with no windows? Far underground? I'm not sure if I could do it. I mean, I could try, but I'd probably get claustrophobia. And I'm not claustrophobic.

Blightedmarsh
2012-10-20, 04:58 AM
Another problem is that Mexico city is far to close to one of the worlds most dangerous strato-volcanoes.

Then there is traffic to conciser, You can have problems with vertical as well as horizontal traffic. Evacuation would be an absolute nightmare. And rickets, don't forget the rickets.

Johel
2012-10-20, 09:55 AM
Thank you very much for your input.

I see a lot of problem related to air and water.
As noted, this is not impossible to solve but would be costly energy-wise.

Fire, sudden flood or ventilation malfunction are big ones.
If a skyscrapper is on fire, we can try to save the people on the lower levels by having ladders or at least trampolines.
No way to get quickly at the bottom of a earthscrapper, unless the hollowed center is clear for cables.

The lack of vitamin D is less of a concern :
People would inhabit the place but they would still get out to work and so.

The heating is an advantage so maybe the whole project would be better adapted for northern countries.

Haruki-kun
2012-10-20, 11:17 AM
Then there is traffic to conciser, You can have problems with vertical as well as horizontal traffic. Evacuation would be an absolute nightmare. And rickets, don't forget the rickets.

Evacuation would be roughly the same as evacuating a building from the top to the bottom. It just goes from bottom to top.

Though admittedly, getting trapped in a floor because the one above you is on fire would be a hazard. Maybe include some escape chute?

Asta Kask
2012-10-20, 01:07 PM
Evacuation would be roughly the same as evacuating a building from the top to the bottom. It just goes from bottom to top.

Though admittedly, getting trapped in a floor because the one above you is on fire would be a hazard. Maybe include some escape chute?

But you have to fight gravity to be evacuated, rather than just giving in to it.